• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Rocky Road ~ House of Brisa, Dave, Koa, and Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"I guess they could?" Koa conceded. "But then the legendary would have to listen to them. And-"

Did that really matter? Dave had a point. Caution couldn't hurt.

"You're right though. I don't know if I'd even remember, but I'll try to be careful. Thanks." This time, there was a genuine earnestness to his tone.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Well, your dad managed it somehow, didn't he?" Dave pointed out.

His gaze lingered on Koa. This kid, off to fight a god, befriend them, and... have fucking Pokémon battles apparently. Sounded like something Jean'd declare her intention to do if legendaries were real.

"...Probably won't remember this, yeah, but if you retain anything, just... This isn't a game. It's easy to imagine you'll just high-five a fucking legend and go on a journey with it and everything'll be awesome, but you're dealing with vast quantities of power that could probably vaporize you in an instant. Even if the legendary's good, a whole lot of shit can go wrong for one kid to deal with." He took a breath. "Just... stay safe and get some qualified help, all right?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Months ago, back home, his old self probably would have been annoyed. He'd never wanted anyone trying to look out for him. It just felt like they were slowing him down or annoying him. But now...

Perhaps it was something about Dave's attitude, the way he seemed almost stressed, and so concerned. Maybe the advice was really worth taking to heart.

Maybe Dave just cared. Like he imagined a dad would.

Sure, his world was nicer than Dave's. And it always sounded like kids in Dave's world were very different. But maybe he liked the feeling that someone else actually cared. Someone else wanted to look out for him and just make sure he was safe. It felt... nice.

He smiled, this one reaching his eyes. "I will."

<><><><>​

Epilogue ~ Dave and Brisa Discuss Dave and Brisa

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
It was over. No more Eternal Blacklight. They were going home.

Dave lay slumped on the couch, one paw hanging off the edge. It wasn't like he was even in that much need of rest, technically. He'd finished the fight no worse off, other than still being kind of fucking famished (thanks, Flesh). But one way or another it was hard to muster the motivation to do anything right now. They'd done their part and that was it, and now there was just the emptiness of waiting.

Was Mia coming home soon? No fucking idea. How much would he see of her before they left? No fucking idea.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa headed home from her latest casual match in good spirits. She was doing a charity drive by taking sponsored challenges from casual competitors under various restrictions, as a way to stay active and work towards a good cause without going stir crazy while Diyem prepared for the end. Her mood sunk a little as she approached her home, though.

Her intuition was shortly vindicated by Dave in a state of abject melancholy in the living area. She immediately sniffed for alcohol, hackles prickling unconsciously, but no panic yet. Maybe she could help? Gods.

"Dave. You lose the remote or somethin'?"

Humour to cover concern. Something she'd been picking up from Starr.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave raised a paw to her. "Hey. Had fun with your thing?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sure. I got to beat up like fifty motherfuckers, and they paid me fer it, and I gave the proceeds to redevelopment charities. It was fuckin' superb."

She closed the door behind her, and breezed through the living space, figuring Dave might be responsive to coffee. Coffee, coffee, coffee... No milk, no sugar...

"And what've you been doin' with yer time?" she asked, feeling like her goddamn ma. Classic Sierra move, asking a question she already knew the answer to.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Not much. Checked on Soda and Flesh. Mia's off training as usual." He raised up his head to look at her. Was she making him coffee again? He hadn't asked, but whatever, wouldn't say no.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Yeah, that tracks. I see her a lot in the Colo trainin' grounds. I think she likes me 'cause I just fight her, and I'm fine with that, so we haven't talked much. I know better'n to try on sentimentality with the lass."

She finished up the coffee, and wondered if getting hammered together would be a decent way to finish things off, actually. But she was Brisa, so she would give him coffee. Of course.

"How're those two Radiant fellas anyway?" she asked. She'd had a little interaction with Soda, but despite his thing with Dave, she'd never really clicked with the guy. Maybe now he was some kind of phantasm...? Worth a try.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"They're good. Soda's a ghost soulbound to Maple now but he insists he's happy about it, and the alternative is being fucking dead."

Of course Mia liked Brisa for fighting her. Maybe he should just go ahead and try to kick the shit out of her sometime. Wasn't like she wasn't practically fucking indestructible, right?

(Who was he even kidding.)

"Any plans for the rest of our time here?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa shrugged and waved a paw. "Make room," she told him, as she put his coffee down in front of him. She switched to zeraora form to take up less space on the couch. Who gave a damn, right?

"I'm enjoyin' myself, mostly. Lotta time battlin', lotta time with Starr and the best of my friends, lotta time treatin' myself to the works at my favourite dinin' venues."

She smiled fondly at him, albeit with worry.

"You ought to treat yerself too. And... I'd like some time with you as well, y'know? D'you... have anythin' y'wanna do?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave clambered upright to give her space, then blinked at her suggestions. "Thanks. Uh, I mean, sure?" Something to do? Brisa never wanted to hit the bar anymore, and the last thing he wanted to do was fight another fucking Colosseum match.

He took a sip of his coffee. "You want to... see a movie or something?" God. Usually Jean was the one throwing wild ideas about fucking road trips and zoos and parks and camping at the wall until he agreed to something. "Anything you want to do?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's eyes brightened sharply. "Y'like movies? I like movies. We don't have anythin' like those back home. You guys with more developed homeworlds sure are lucky."

She wanted to do whatever, so long as Dave would cheer the fuck up a bit.

"We could do that. And... If you promise to keep to a sensible limit, we could go fer drinks? Maybe after a movie?"

Hopefully she wouldn't regret that offer.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave raised his eyebrows. Of course. Brisa from fucking Cowboy World didn't even have movies back home. God.

"Yeah, sure. Sounds like a plan. What kind of movies are you into?" He sipped his coffee again. For a moment he imagined Brisa watching a fucking Western, whether it'd remind her of home or just make her cringe for days. Did Cibus even have those?

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa waved a paw vaguely. "I dunno, so long as it's not some impenetrable drama I don't got the cultural understandin' fer, or a shitty thriller with terrible fuckin' fight scenes, I'm good. I, uh." Her ears flushed a bit. "I like romances, but I don't much wanna watch those with paternal company. Aheheh."

She sighed and gave Dave a tired smile.

"I'll watch whatever takes yer fancy. Just so long as it's got a happy endin'."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Brisa would like romances, wouldn't she. Not dragging him to one, though, thank God.

"Let's just see what they've got on. Can probably ask for recs at the theater." Happy endings, huh. "When I'm done with my coffee, anyway."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sounds good. Just so long as you have a good time too. I..."

I worry about you. I care about you. I love you.

"I want you to be happy fer at least part of the final stretch, y'know?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave glanced at her over his mug. "I mean, it's a movie. At minimum it'll be an amusing waste of time with overpriced popcorn. Cast of Pokémon's going to be a novelty either way. Beats the waiting game." He took a sip as she watched him, still with that concerned look on her face. "Look, I'm fine. Fight left me barely any worse for wear."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded sceptically. "Uhuh."

When had Dave ever been fine? She leant on him at times, yes, but she wasn't stupid. She was familiar with Shadow. She knew well enough.

"How's therapy?" she asked, pointedly. "You're still with Fugu, last I heard."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"I mean, I had the one session." Dave put the coffee cup down. "Plus the time she swung down during the fight and gave me her sword. Maybe I'll pay for a second appointment just to make it even." Or rather, make the God Squad pay. Where the fuck did they get all this goddamn money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom