A letter appears in your dreams. You pick it up, because what else was there to do? But the moment it's opened, you're standing in the middle of a great field of grass with not a sign of civilization anywhere. Inside the letter are instructions on how to play, and a horrible punishment awaiting for those who fail. The sun moves swiftly across the sky...
Hello and welcome to a normal game of Mafia! And despite the suspiciously innocuous title, this will NOT be the "ultra power" Mafia that I have planned after Blacklight, and is instead a relatively simple game of Mafia meant to break newbies into the scene to have a better chance at playing with the more frantic, chaotic games to come. Mafia veterans are also allowed, but keep in mind that this game is meant to be newbie-friendly. Be patient and help them out if they seem confused about any mechanics! For those unfamiliar with Mafia in general the game works like this: [stolen from Negrek's game description from the first anniversary].
1. Players are assigned to either mafia or innocent factions. The mafia know who belongs on their team, and they may freely communicate with each other outside of the game thread. The innocents do not know the alignments of any of the other players, and they can interact only by posting in the game thread at designated times.
2. The game proceeds in a series of "day" phases and "night" phases.
During the day, all players are "awake" and able to post in the game thread. All players discuss who they think the mafia are, based on other players' posts or what they believe may have happened at night. Ultimately this leads to players voting on which person should be sent to jail. If the jailed player turns out to have been a member of the mafia, the innocents are one step closer to winning--but if they guess wrong, they'll only help the mafia in their quest to eliminate the innocents.
At night, the mafia choose one player to eliminate. They're free to talk with each other, plan, and strategize, but the innocent players cannot communicate. However, some innocent players may have a special ability that they can use during the night. What kind of ability a player might have will be determined by the character they choose to use in the game.
3. The game continues until either the mafia make up the majority of remaining players (meaning that they can control all day-votes) or the innocents successfully jail all of the mafia.
If you'd like more details, check out this beginner's guide to Mafia, which discusses how the game is played and some of the common terminology and player roles that are often used.
Because this is a "vanilla" game, do not expect any particularly strange roles, or any that are going to be particularly complicated to think about. The following roles are POTENTIALLY going to be active, depending on how many sign up...
Goon (Considered vanilla; no particular role; at night, choose a person to kill if nobody else in the mafia chooses to do the same)
Villager (Considered vanilla; No particular powers or abilities; use your power of deduction to sniff out the mafia!)
Cop (At night, check someone if they're Mafia or not)
Doctor (At night, pick someone to protect from being killed)
Lovers (A pair; if one dies, so does the other)
Bulletproof (Once, when you are targeted for a kill, you don't die)
Juggernaut (Only once the whole game; at night if you kill, you can activate this power. The kill pierces doctor and bulletproof powers)
Serial Killer (Performs a kill each night; wins if they're the very last one standing)
Role Cop (At night, select a player to see what role they have, if any.)
Feel free to consult the mafiascum wiki for how these roles work. I added an abridged version of what they do next to the roles.
Note, there may be other roles not listed here that will also be in the game. However, none of them will be particularly complex or extremely powerful in nature, and there will be no game-ending roles such as Jester, Alien, and so on, nor will there be any nonstandard win conditions aside from Serial Killer's, if there is one. There will be no "resurrection" powers, or anything of that scope or nature, either.
There will also be some "vanilla" players. These players will have no roles at all. What you do with a lack of power is up to you, and can be both liberating and a power in itself, depending on how you take advantage of your powerlessness to protect others on your side who actually do have powers.
Similar to other games on this forum, this will be a roleplay-optional game. You can bring a character or yourself, speak in character, or speak out of character. Conventionally, in-character the characters can even hear out of character statements as voices in the air, like guardian spirits, but you can go with whatever interpretation works for you. Copied from the previous game...
- This is an RP-optional mafia using fanfic characters! If you would enjoy pretending to be your character, reasoning and reacting to the situation in the same way that they would, then please feel free to post in character as much as you'd like! You are also welcome to include as much out-of-character straight strategizing and discussion in your posts as you'd like. If you'd prefer to play without RPing at all, that's totally fine! Your character choice will be used to flavor your role but have no other impact on the game. In order to prevent confusion, please surround any out-of-character text in your posts with [[double square brackets]] to distinguish your words from your character's.
- Please remember that all roles and alignments will be assigned at random to players. This means that you shouldn't assume that anyone is a member of the mafia simply because their character is a villain in the story they came from! On the flip side, even very heroic characters may end up playing the bad guys here. Although the format of this mafia is very similar to the games I've held here in the past, nothing from the past setup is guaranteed to reappear this year. The specific roles present will be different, all roles and alignments are assigned independent of what happened in the previous game (e.g. a player having been innocent last time has no bearing on whether they will be innocent in this game), and some game mechanics may differ from previous incarnations. In general, be wary about making assumptions about the game based on what happened in previous years.
- In this game, each phase will last for 48 hours and begin at midnight UTC. However, if the player to be voted off at the end of the day phase was someone who had zero votes an hour before the end of the phase, the day phase will automatically be extended by six hours. This is intended to prevent feel-bad scenarios where someone doesn't even realize they're under suspicion and completely miss the chance to defend themselves or come back to the thread twenty minutes before the end of the phase and suddenly find themselves needing to somehow turn things around on an extremely tight schedule.
Right now we're in the sign-up phase. If you'd like to play, post in this thread with the character you want to use. This can be one of your own fanfic characters, or a character from someone else's story. If you'd like to use another person's character please get their permission first. Your character can be related to any franchise, Pokémon or otherwise! Also, feel free to use the same character you did last year if you like, even if they ended up getting disappeared/jailed in the previous game. Please include some basic information about your character: name, species, appearance, basic personality traits, and anything else you'd like your fellow players to know. Please also include a link to the story they appear in if it's been published!
Sign-ups are open until 11:59 PM UTC on Friday, August 13th. The game is expected to begin shortly after, depending on how much prep I need to do and how many players there are. There will be a day-0 roleplay phase where nobody has any powers known to them yet, so even those killed on the zeroth night will have had a chance to play.