• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Inner Focus Training Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
This huge circular building features a ring of private and public battlegrounds with everything a trainer and their Pokemon could desire. Forest battlegrounds, desert, water, and many other types are available. Training dummies can be requested for practice, or trainers may spar with each other. There are also two outdoor arenas available for use. And, perhaps the grandest gift of all - Xavian has provided access to his personal TM vault, allowing pokemon to try out all kinds of new moves!

***​

Last edited:
Day 1 - It's time to D-d-d-duel! [Seb & Noro]

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
Seb stepped into the building, entering a forest arena. There was an open space in the middle, with various tall trees around the area. “Heheh. I’m loving this place so much,” Seb said, hands on his hips as he looked around. “It has everything! Good food, friendly staff, epic sceneries, a hotel with comfy rooms and TV and, best of all, battles! I’m pretty sure we’re gonna have something epic happening here.”

Jack looked around with a smile, admiring the lush trees and bushes. It looked like the perfect place for agility practice as well as stealth for anyone interested.

“Okay, I wasn’t forgetting anything, right?” Seb checked his pockets before taking out a Poké Ball into his hand. “Ah, here he is. How are you holding up in there, Zack?” He grimaced a bit. “Again, I’m sorry for putting you on timeout yesterday, but it’s okay now. I just hope you don’t do anything suicidal again. Now come on out. Jack surely misses you.” He threw the Ball to the ground.

The Ball opened, and a humanoid Pidgey came out in a white flash of light.

“Good morning, Zack,” Jack said, waving at him.

“Mornin’,” Zack replied with his back turned, holding his elbows into his wings. He seemed downcast.

“Um, you okay?”

“Yeah. Just doin’ some thinkin’.”

“Huh?” The Farfetch’d looked confused with an irked eye. “Whaddya mean?”

“Thinkin’ about yesterday. I…” Zack sighed. “I disappointed Seb, eh?”

“Oh, right. You rushed into that fight. I was telling you that you couldn’t possibly win.”

“I should’ve listened to you guys. …Sorry…”

“Huh? You’re acting kinda weird, friend. You’re not the sort to apologize.”

“Well, this is kind of a first to me. Yeah, it feels weird sayin’ these things.” Zack shook his head and sighed once more. “But… I dunno anymore. I thought bein’ a hero was all about the fightin’ and savin’ the world.”

“Well… This might sound weird, but…” Jack approached his friend and placed a wing on his shoulder. “To save the world, you should save yourself first.”

Zack raised his head, confusion visible in his expression. “Say what?”

“Save yourself from making dumb decisions, for example.”

“Aah. Okay.”

“And be more respectful, please.”

“I already respect you, Jack-o.” Zack turned his head to look at the Farfetch’d over his shoulder.

“And I appreciate that, but you should extend that respect towards other people.” Jack turned his gaze over the horizon. “And apologize to that woman.”

“Oof, that scary woman… Yeah, I was also thinkin’ of doin’ that when we see her again.”

“Alright. Feeling better now?”

“Yeah, I guess.” Zack twisted his beak into a smile. “Feel lighter all of a sudden. Thanks, man.”

“Making amends?” Seb said as he looked at his birds. “Nice. And I’m pretty sure you wanted to say sorry to me too, Zack?”

The Pidgey nodded at his Trainer.

“Alright. Glad you did that.” Seb looked around some more. “Now that you’re doing fine, how about some battling?”

Zack chirped aloud and jumped onto his Trainer’s shoulder, a cocky smile and glare on his face.

“Alright. Don’t get too excited.”

Jack gave the Pidgey a thumbs-up. “You can do it.”

Zack nodded with renewed confidence. “Yeah, you’re gonna see the future hero in action! Gotta shake off some rust first, though.”

“Now then,” Seb exclaimed as he looked for other Trainers in the arena, “who’s up for a duel?”

@Flyg0n

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Battling. That was why Noro had come to this ridiculous festival. Not friendship, not games, not even silly little mythical pokemon, unless they were strong ones. But it seemed like almost everyone else so far was just interested in stuffing their faces and goofing off. Did no one here understand the concept of strength and power? About testing your skill and wit against another worthy opponent?

Humans are easily distracted. And weak Pokemon are easily distracted by weak trainers, Alakazam commented.

Noro nodded in agreement. He slowly scanned the various battle arenas and trainers. Perhaps there was a chance to find a good opponent still. He'd hoped to challenge that boy with the Scizor, but that was probably off the table.

As he checked out the forest arena, he spotted one of the newer arrivals that had come on the last boat. A boy with two of the weirdest looking birds he'd ever seen. Some kind of regional variant perhaps?

“Now then,” Seb exclaimed as he looked for other Trainers in the arena, “who’s up for a duel?”

Noro frowned and glanced at Alakazam, who was levitating beside him. "What do you think?"

After a pause, Alakazam replied, We may as well. Perhaps if they are some form of regional variant, they may have unusual abilities to test ourself against.

Noro stepped into the forest arena. "We accept your challenge," he declared. "One-on-one, we fight until one of our pokemon is unable to battle. Do you accept these terms?"

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Hm?” Seb turned to look at the arrival. He flinched in slight shock after seeing the Trainer’s Alakazam. “Woah, aren’t you flexing a bit with that Pokémon?”

“Careful, Zack,” Jack quacked at the Pidgey on Seb’s shoulder. “Psychic Pokémon can be quite difficult to deal with. I’d worry about facing an Alakazam if I was in your position.”

“Aw, chill, you guys.” Zack leapt off of his Trainer, flapping his wings in midair for a double jump as he spun around. He landed gracefully with wings stretched above him. “I just gotta be quick, right?”

“I hope your mind is resistant enough for his attacks.”

“Bring it, baby!” Zack chirped at the Alakazam. “I’m ready for anything.” He puffed up his chest with his wings behind his head, showing off his sleek musculature.

“Okay, Zack,” Seb said with a reassuring voice, “don’t get too carried away. It’s just a sorta friendly match, not a fight against a bad guy.” He looked up at Noro, a determined look on his face despite his nervousness. “Let’s begin, then.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A friendly match? Alakazam asked, his telepathic voice grumpy as he privately sent his thoughts to Noro. What's next, a spa day?

Noro resisted rolling his eyes, then sent back a private thought. There's no gain in demolishing a weak opponent. Let's give him a good match, and show him who he's dealing with. And see what they have to offer. Remember, we still don't know if they might be a new form.

Thats if they even have anything. Very well.
Alakazam took up a position opposite Zack on the far side of the arena.

Noro took up his position in the trainer's box, his face hard and serious.

"Prepare yourself." Alakazam declared telepathically to Zack.

Hardly had the warning been given before Noro made his move. "Calm Mind."

Closing its eyes, Alakazam relaxed and focused, seemingly unfazed by the possibility of an attack while its eyes were closed.

Last edited:

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Oh, I’m pumped,” Zack said, rotating his shoulder. He saw the Alakazam closing its eyes. “Huh? Seriously? You’re not gonna attack?”

“Careful, Zack!” Jack exclaimed from Seb’s corner. “The enemy might be preparing an attack!”

“Go for the eyes!” Seb shouted, pointing forward.

“Ah, yeah, this is one of my favorites!” Zack kicked up dirt, aiming at the Alakazam’s face.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
The spray of dirt struck the unmoving Alakazam on the face. A mildly displeased look crossed his face. Not a bad idea Akazam said privately to Noro. We've battled many a fool who goes straight for a reckless attack.

Noro frowned and gave the barest acknowledgement. "Not being foolish doesn't make someone smart either," he said quietly.

Besides, the tactic was common. He and Alakazam had seen it often, so often they had been forced to come up with a counter strategy.

"Spreadshot, straight ahead."

Alakazam waved his spoon in a semi-circle. Five shadowy orbs formed in the air and were swiftly launched across the arena and flew in an erratic pattern straight for Zack.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“Huh? Shadow Balls?” Seb asked, looking carefully at the projectiles. “Or something else?”

“Pah!” Zack stood still with his wings on his hips while smirking. “A ghost attack? Ya even know about type matchups, buddy?”

“Zack, why aren’t you moving?” Jack asked, concerned. “What if it’s not Shadow Balls?”

“JUMP!” Seb shouted with urgency. “Or move anywhere that isn’t where the balls are going! Please!”

“Alright, just lemme do this.” Zack tried to jump between the projectiles, showing graceful spins and wing flutters.

Last edited:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Noro shook his head as he watched Zack dodging. "Disappointing," he muttered, loud enough to be overheard. "Focus Blast while he's distracted."

Alakazam acted instantly. He held his hands outstreched, gathering a shining orb of energy before firing it towards Zack.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
“NO!” Seb shouted in panic, witnessing the Focus Blast rapidly zip towards his Pidgey.

“Zack, get outta the way!” Jack shouted in turn, flapping his wings frantically.

Zack was too slow to notice the attack, and he was pushed back with force after receiving it. He crashed to the ground, bouncing a few times before skidding and stopping at Seb’s feet.

“You alright?” Seb crouched and checked on Zack, grimacing with wide eyes. He held a hand over the Pidgey’s chest, managing to feel a heartbeat. “C’mon, hold on.”

Zack’s chest puffed up and down as he breathed heavily. “Duuude… What was that?”

“Can you stand up?” Jack asked, extending a wing at his friend. The Pidgey took it, and he pulled him back on his feet.

“What happened to this being a friendly match!?” Seb asked Noro in disbelief. “That could’ve been overkill!”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Noro scowled. "Overkill? Please. That wasn't even full power." Alakazam knew what he was doing. Unless Zack was weaker than he thought. He was beginning to regret agreeing to this battle.

Alakazam sighed. "You need to be ready for anything in a battle. Battling isn't just launching strong attacks, it's about outwitting the opponent," he said to Zack. "Please tell me you're not going to give up already." There was a condescending edge to his mental tone.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"You gotta be kidding..." Seb muttered and shook his head. "Not even full power? I'm scared, guys..."

Zack dusted himself off once he stood up straight. "I can still go. I'll show you what a hero can do!"

"Okay, calm down." Seb held his head for a moment, thinking for a second. It was possible for Zack to be quickly crushed by the Alakazam's power, so he had to be quick to finish off the opponent before that happened. But how? All he could shout was "Make it quick, Zack!" and hope for the best.

The Pidgey leapt forward with a flap of his wings and extended a talon forward, aiming to kick the Alakazam on the face. "Yeah, quick like the wind!"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
It was a good try. Maybe even could work if Zack were stronger. "Psychic," Noro said with a shrug.

A pink glow flared around Zack and froze him in place, his outstretched talon only centimeters from Alakazam's face. "Not bad," He taunted. "But not enough."

With a twist of a spoon, he tossed Zack off to the side. "A hero needs to be strong. Strong of mind and body." This time, he spoke with no condescension.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Woah!" Zack landed at the base of a nearby tree. He stood back up with a hop. "I'm tryin' my hardest here, man. And it's why I'm countin' on Seb to help me with that."

"I dunno if this'll work, but keep your distance!" Seb exclaimed. "Try poking him from afar!"

"So that's how it's gonna be, eh?" The Pidgey jumped back and flapped his wings, firing a small gust of wind. "Be my guest, man."

"Try finding the perfect moment to strike!" Jack said, waving his leek with emphasis.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
The gust battered Alakazam, though he didn't seem too bothered by it. Shaking his head, he spoke to Zack. "Distance fighting? Really? Have you not seen me using ranged attacks? You'll have to do better than that."

Noro rolled his eyes. This trainer was far from the battle he'd hoped for. He folded his arms, trying to stifle his impatience. Maybe he should just-

Noro. We do not quit fights.

"This is hardly a fight. But fine." Noro thought back. "Alakazam, Psychic again."

Alakazam twisted his spoons, then suddenly moved across the field and launched a weak wave of psychic energy at Zack.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
After receiving the attack, Zack felt a bit disoriented. "Woah, that felt like a doozy." He shook his head and composed himself.

"Let's try getting the eyes again," Seb exclaimed. He wasn't so confident as the battle went on, especially since it involved a massive power difference. Still, he was helping Zack become stronger, and this was the least he could do to make up for putting him on timeout.

The Pidgey kicked up dust onto the Alakazam's face. "Fingers crossed that this makes a difference," he muttered.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
This time, the tactic seemed slightly more effective, though whether it was Alakazam showing some kind of mercy was unknown. Alakzam grunted, seemingly more annoyed, though there seemed to be a hint of discomfort, and his eyes remained half shut. He cocked his head towards Noro.

"Follow it up!" Alakazam snapped. He spread his arms and sent a wide wave of psychic energy. Swift enough that it might hit, but not so fast it was impossible to dodge. "When you have an opening, try to attack again." Despite the harsh tone, the advice sounded genuine.

"Stop mentoring our opponent," Noro hissed irritably. "Focus Blast."

Alakazam began charging another Focus Blast as he finished his previous attack, though this one was considerably smaller and weaker looking than before.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"Huh?" Jack narrowed his eyes, confused by the Alakazam's actions. "Is the enemy relenting?"

"Jump!" Seb shouted with a wide motion of his arm.

Zack leapt above the Focus Blast, his talons barely grazing it, and flapped his wings for a double jump. He perched onto a tree branch above the Alakazam. "Think fast!" The Pidgey became a blur as he leapt down with wings stretched out towards his target.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
At the last moment Alakazam raised his spoon in and X formation. The attack struck, though he blocked the worst of it.

"Better." Alakazam snapped. He levitated away from Zack. "Come now hero, show me what you're made of." He spread his arms.

Noro groaned inwardly. Still, there was no point in avoiding this. Alakazam would insist on trying to make something of every battle. So he had to humor him.

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
"This is weird," Jack muttered. He had suspicions growing in his mind, and he had the urge to tell Zack. "Zack, it might be a trap!" However, his warning fell to deaf ears, both from his Trainer and his friend.

"Now's your chance! Strike hard!" Seb exclaimed, becoming excited and punching the air in front of him.

The Pidgey performed a roundhouse kick onto the Alakazam's face. "Can you stop this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom