• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Yellow’s 2023 Drabble Bingo

Prompt #1: Lullaby
  • HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. suicune
    2. umbreon
    3. mew
    4. lycanroc-wes
    5. leafeon-rui
    This is my first attempt at Drabble Bingo, so here we go!
    The Under​
    Lullaby
    Phoenix​
    Snag Machines​
    Night in the Desert
    Hyperthermia​
    Gateon Port​
    Sandstorm
    Dust​

(Most, if not all, of these prompts will be set in the OSAS universe and storyline.)

Prompt #1: Lullaby

(CW: death and grief)

She first hears it as a small child, from her mother’s lips.

She is frightened by the howling wind outside, her cheeks damp with tears. And as her mother begins to sing, the tears subside, the storm matters less, and gradually she drifts to sleep to the soft, lilting melody.

Call for Swablu song,
    Let it put your fears to rest.
    Listen as they sing along,
    And guide your shadows from your chest.

Don’t be scared of the dark,
    It cannot put out your own spark,
    Don’t be scared of the wind,
    Life always begins again

With the sound of Swablu song.

Now she sits in a cold and sterile hospital room, tears dampening her face once more as she softly caresses the dying Pokémon in front of her. She is powerless to ease the pain, helpless when searching for words to say, so instead, she sings.

Call for Swablu song,
    I can see it in your eyes
    Your soul’s been heavy for so long,
    And you fear you’ll never fly.

The Pokémon’s breathing slows, her voice cracks and falters, but she carries on.

But don’t be scared of the dark,
    It cannot conquer your own spark.
    Don’t be scared of the end,
    Life always begins again

With the sound of Swablu song…

The room is silent. The breathing has stopped. Now all that’s left is the sound of her quiet grief in the form of half-stifled sobs.

She longs for her childhood, in which storms were the only source of her fear. She longs for her mother, long gone and buried.

Above all, she longs for Swablu songs.

Call for Swablu song,
    Let it put your fears to rest.
    Listen, they sing along,
    Guiding shadows from your chest.

It cannot dampen your own spark,
    Don’t be scared of the wind,
    Life always begins again

Call for Swablu song,
    I can see it in your eyes
    Your soul’s been heavy for so long,
    And you fear you’ll never fly.

It cannot conquer your own spark.
    Don’t be scared of the end,
    Life always begins again

With the sound of Swablu song…

[The melody and inspiration for this lullaby is pulled from this song.]

Last edited:
    Prompt #2: Night in the Desert
  • HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. suicune
    2. umbreon
    3. mew
    4. lycanroc-wes
    5. leafeon-rui
    Prompt #2: Night in the Desert

“It’ll get cold.”

“I have a jacket.”

“No, I mean really cold. That frilly little thing you call a jacket won’t cut it.”

“It’s a perfectly suitable jacket, thank you very much. And it’s not like I’m asking to sleep outside. I just want to see them—five minutes, tops. Please, Wes?”

“…Fine.”

Hours after sunset, Rui hopped off the bike once it puttered to a stop. Wes had been right—her jacket felt as though it had frozen to her skin on the ride over, but she wasn’t about to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

She’d been keeping her head down along the way to shield her eyes from the wind and sand, but now, at long last…she could finally look up.

She gasped.

The sky was sprayed with layers upon layers of stars, as if a great hand had crushed a massive diamond and blown the shimmering dust across a backdrop of black velvet. So many! She thought in wonder.

Rui wasn’t even aware that her mouth was gaping open until she heard Wes snort. She turned to him, and—

He was smiling at her.

“Amazing, right?” he said.

In all their time together, she’d never seen him smile quite like that—maybe a smirk, or the faintest hint of amusement, but nothing more. Rui took note of several things all at once: the way his smile brightened his eyes, the fact that there wasn’t even a trace of a scowl on his face, and that he had a dimple on one side.

Suddenly, she wasn’t cold anymore, and the stars were no longer the most beautiful thing calling for her attention. She slowly smiled back at him.

“Yeah,” she said softly. “Amazing.”

She gasped.

The sky was sprayed with layers upon layers of stars, as if a great hand had crushed a massive diamond and blown the shimmering dust across a backdrop of black velvet. So many! She thought in wonder.

Rui wasn’t aware that her mouth was gaping open until she heard Wes snort. She turned to him, and—

He was smiling at her.

“Amazing, right?” he said.

Suddenly, she wasn’t cold anymore, and the stars were no longer the most beautiful thing calling for her attention. She slowly smiled back at him.

“Yeah,” she said with a soft smile. “Amazing.”

Last edited:
    Prompt #3: Sandstorm
  • HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. suicune
    2. umbreon
    3. mew
    4. lycanroc-wes
    5. leafeon-rui
    Prompt 3: Sandstorm

CW: Grief

The wind whirled and howled in time with the rippling sands carried within it. She stood in the center of the vortex, fueling the gale with her mighty wings and snarling through tears at the man across from her. The Flygon did not need words to convey her message.

Stay away from me.

He didn’t come closer, but he didn’t leave, either. Instead, he met her gaze, his weary, grief-stricken face matching hers.

“I’m sorry.”

She bellowed and whipped her tail, spraying a fresh gust of sand in the air. She didn’t need an apology. She needed solace. She needed things to go back to how they used to be.

“You have every right to be angry. To hate me. It’s my fault.”

It is your fault, and I do hate you. I hate you, I hate you, I HATE YOU—

She saw red. Red and flying sand. She blinked, and suddenly she was towering over him, pinning him to the ground with one paw raised and ready to strike—no, ready to strike again, she realized, as her claws were dripping with scarlet to match the red gash now in his arm.

His expression had not changed. Instead, he met her gaze, his eyes as hollow as she felt.

“Go ahead. I won’t blame you.”

She wanted to. Oh, she wanted to. Wanted to shred him, make him bleed, make him hurt like she was, make him writhe and scream like she wanted to from the inside out—

The winds slowed. Her wings drooped. The sands settled.

She lowered her claws, but not to strike. Instead, she stepped back and slumped to the ground, defeated. Broken. Alone.Her eyes filled with tears.

A hand tested on her side. She snarled, but did not move. Slowly, he leaned against her.

They cried together in the sand.

Winds howled. She fueled the gale with her wings, snarling at the man across from her, her message clear.

Stay away from me.

“I’m sorry.”

She bellowed, enraged. Apologies were useless.

“You’re right to be angry. It’s my fault.”

It is, and I HATE YOU.

She saw red. She pinned him to the ground, her claws dripping scarlet from the gash in his arm.

His expression remained unchanged. “Go ahead.”

She couldn’t.

Wind and sand settled. Her wings drooped.

She lowered her claws, but not to strike.
    His hand rested on her side.

And they cried together in the sand.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom