• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Will I Follow?

Prologue + Chapter One
  • slamdunkrai

bing.com
    Pronouns
    they/them
    Partners
    1. darkrai
    2. snom

I’ve seen it all I’ve seen it all; every so often some poor soul will tell you they know everything there is to know like they’ve scouted out every angle and consulted every source and unearthed every secret in all the world but I believe I speak with authority when I say that I have seen it all: there is nobody else like me not anywhere, my level of expertise is unparalleled and my qualities are unshared by any life form in the universe, no life form’s not correct is it not anymore, some would tell you that I can’t speak in first person singular I am a sentence divisible by twelve: I came here centuries ago long before anyone else did before anyone else even knew I planted my flag here so it’s mine dammit mine, I am the ultimate authority on the matter and the matter is simple: there are no telic revelations in the great beyond, some people will give up everything anyway just to be validated who can blame them there is really no greater validation than permanent sleep, pure bliss no disturbances no questions, they say night is the time of monsters what do they know about monsters besides there are no monsters here look around you do you see any

wait no that’s not what I mean that was supposed to be a rhetorical question, who is this oaf what is he doing here does he not know what or where he is, he has flesh he has blood it’s currently dripping from a gaping hole beneath his shoulder you know I could tell you a few things about gaping holes there is a gaping hole where my body should be and there is a gaping hole in place of the eternal sleep I am owed, oh it’s horrible I tell you they look upon my form my concept my species call it monstrous, well we’re all monsters monsters without bodies bodies without organs, death itself is like that in a few ways you know the way it has no capacity to speak for itself no qualities to call its own, yet it stains every surface retools every device redefines every sentence even rewrites every personality like an airborne or digital virus; back to the dying man he’s going to find out sooner or later everyone always does, still unusual: none of them ever come in here with corporeal forms, his wounds are mortal there are no places to hide and he is dressed like a cowboy doesn’t he know what year it is, what year

is it time for this cowboy figure say, doesn’t he look a little familiar? no I swear I’ve seen him before how’s the saying go? you will see him once if you do good and twice if you do bad? who said that I can’t remember but I swear to you I’ve seen him knocking about maybe in a past life, does this mean I’ve done good or bad oh I can’t say, I don’t think I can anything with moral qualities, maybe in a past life, that shouldn’t matter anymore I’ve been wiped clean I’m an empty slate cognisant of my vacuity the ultimate punishment any being could ever hope to face I don’t have my own face, all I have is an aggregate of faces plus the contents of my soul, by now no scale could ever weigh them up in the air nobody could ever judge or discern purpose but what purpose could you reasonably expect I am my container I am a rock ungoverned, who wouldn’t want to die I prefer this to governance by pure feeling or analysis or thought derived from hesitation pointless inward interrogations, meanwhile intuition lies on a higher plane it’s as immutable as DNA every being has it even the bleeding dying cowboy all beings except me

oh where is he now I can’t see him that scoundrel he’s moved, let’s see where he goes, stumbling across the void making a final plea a final desperate gesture at nobody in particular well I suppose except you and I but really who’ll take our word, you know I could kill every human being if I wanted but that’s irrelevant, were you there when the beast came around and said it wanted to do just that? not a bad idea, no you weren’t? it was the funniest thing this wretched hulk born of mew said the humans made it forged it like marble that hairless skin it wanted answers, it said the world is a curtain that obfuscates reorders truth, I said that’s very good you’re very observant and it said don’t patronise me I’m not a child but we’re all children defined by our forebears every father devours his son eventually, then the man came and took it behind the curtain, you know the king in exile he surrendered his power over a country it was too tangible he wanted to look behind the curtain and now he rules the land of absence, his subjects all ghosts all haunt him until he’s happier he is missed but there will come a day when he

is he our cowboy actually? blond hair seems like the outdoors type keeps pokémon enjoys mastery over the world soul gone necrotic he wants sheer will to convert immaterial relations to material fact thinks he can live after death through hard bargaining but not here, I am the air omnipotent in this little fiefdom nobody else will ever see me nobody will ever ask me stupid questions I will never face change I will never face a demand, it’s much better than being human — I digress, I don’t think it is him ah well he is imminent always history cross-stitches across his opaque shadow looming overhead; I think we had a human once a trainer he’s long dead he’s here somewhere, I was human and now I’m this but my personhood continued uninterrupted not erased just exiled what’s the difference between them anyway, speaking of there’s two intruders now one’s a white fox two-legged its fangs bared bloody vengeful, it hunches stooping beneath morals, did the cowboy steal and eat its young, bravo if so, break his monopoly on the violent legitimate, now there’s two of him the bleeding one follows on all fours like a dog behind his false self, can’t see him anymore he’s not alive maybe he’s not dead yet he’ll die eventually

always eventual always more time you spend so much time waiting, don’t you, something big has to come along eventually blow everything else out the water and maybe just maybe this next action will not be the sum of all that come before it, sometimes you end up in the wrong place the wrong time you take a wrong turn just once and you never recover, kids go through doors little adventurers some of them fall through holes in the world dislocated from everything inexorably changed, their families the dissipating nuclei of society they drift or they rupture, you take family where you can find it you reproduce this model ad infinitum or else people disown you think you’re wasting everything, even pokémon are children limited by their guardians, animals are exterior foreign wild things unknown but pokémon they fit conveniently into mass production meet the needs of the trainer, say do you hear the mountain wind, the Sinnese mountain wind cold unforgiving they say it nurtures keeps out invaders, xerneas reanimates xir subjects, xir light glimmers like moonlight over blue runoff in the abandoned gold mines near Veilstone property of the Indigo Empire, Sinnoh the perpetual child squandered its potential I was forged there caught there trained there sent into exile and now there’s only

Connor always insisted he didn’t have much cause to complain about how things had gone. Sure, he’d worked himself to sickness in and out of school, juggling his grades with one hand and his savings across four years of part-time retail work with the other; at least it all paid off in the end. He got his scholarship to join this year’s Sinnese gym circuit, one of two hundred rookie trainers and one-third of the Snowpoint caucus by himself. He’d succeeded where almost a thousand others across the country had failed. The task now was simple: sweep the gyms before the year went out, make enough money out of it to save his ma from eviction, and use whatever he had left over to help pay for college. This was obviously his only shot — not many of his colleagues would be back next year and barring a miracle he would not have the funds for a second attempt — but he preferred it to no shot at all; at least he still just about had a home, a supportive parent, his health, and a support network consisting of his childhood friend and his partner pokémon. All of these were better than nothing, and he’d walked the tightrope of the poverty line long enough to know that keeping this all intact was easier said than done.

He’d come to Floaroma alongside the rest of that network with the intent of staying for a couple of nights to train and rest his legs a little before concluding the long trek to Eterna, the second of his eight obstacles in his path towards meeting his needs. Sitting on his bed, he watched from behind the curtains as the white sun rose towards its periapsis like an omen of the cold, bright Sinnese spring. It was less hostile than winter, threatening only gradual change and unfulfilled promise as opposed to hypothermia and frostbite, but its arrival still demanded that all its subjects come out of hiding. Connor’s qualms with that were strong and ideological in nature.

“Connor,” said Florence from the bed opposite as she scrolled through her phone, “is it just me, or has this kind of lost its novelty by now?”

“In what way?”

“I mean, this is just kind of our job now, isn’t it? And I’m glad we’ve got our pokémon along with us, absolutely; I know it’s a pretty massive privilege that we get to do this for the time being, and for my money there’s not really better company anywhere than the sort I’ve made in here. I’d even go as far as to say I love doing the work, I love the process; I don’t think you really get to do this if you’re not passionate and serious about caring for your pokémon. It’s just…”

She paused in place for a moment to figure out the precise direction her follow-up would take, as she often did; one of the things he’d most come to appreciate about her friendship was that she always tried to speak on her feelings with accuracy and precision. Once she’d found her point she looked up at him; her eyes were always disarming not just for their greenness but their clarity, standing out from her unbrushed curls like flowers in bougainvillea.

“It just feels like we’re running from something,” she continued, “like if we stop for a moment we’ll drown or get swallowed up. I mean, it’s the money, yeah, and I would like the money a lot; gods know you can’t really get HRT or surgery up in Snowpoint unless you go private, as much as I’d like to fix that. But it’s also, uh, I just… I wish we could spend a little more time just existing, really, you know? Not worrying about falling behind on the badge deadline or about making sure we can feed our pokémon; if anything, you know, I wish we could just spend a little more time hanging out with them, getting to know them and stuff. Like what we’re doing now, you know. It’s nice, quiet. It doesn’t need to serve a purpose.”

“Oh,” said Connor, “I just try to take the good with the bad; I make the best of what I can control and try to ignore what I can’t.” Try was the operative word there, he thought out of instinct, but he digressed. “I just try to make the most of this and all those other little interludes where nothing happens; I like taking as many as I can afford with you, and I’m lucky I can afford a fair few. There’s certainly worse ways to survive, and I mean, once we’ve really made a name for ourselves on the circuit we’ll have less to worry about financially and stuff. Besides, at least we’re not cooped up at home or on one of those oil rigs—”

“You’re always such a fuckin’ optimist, man.” Florence craned her neck down and rested her head on her palm, her back forming a crescent. Connor always thought he could listen to her laughter for hours; she had a fantastic laugh, low, subtle and warm.

“Doctor’s orders,” he laughed back. “My happiness is clinically required.”

“Well, you’ve got a point in any case,” she said, “and I guess I can’t argue if it’s for the sake of your health. But you get what I mean, though, don’t you? It’s not just me losing my mind?”

“Oh, absolutely; a lot of this is just boring, even more of it is nerve-wracking, and I’m terrified that, if we lose even one gym battle, we’re off the circuit. I wish something exciting would happen along the way sometimes, or that something would really change my life a little to give it a more apparent sort of meaning than all this wandering around — but, I mean, that’s just how life is a lot of the time. The best thing we can do for ourselves is gradually build towards some kind of transformation, I tell myself, both in myself and in our circumstances; it won’t be immediate but so long as we keep at it, I like to think we’ll look back on this later, once it’s all gotten better, and we’ll realise it was just something minor in the grand upwards arc of our lives.”

Satisfied with his little speech, he stretched out and leaned backwards, extending his joints to the furthest of their mobility to stay limber for the upcoming day. He glanced at the clock, which denoted there was only a few minutes left before the two had to set off to the gym and train; in his brief moment of vulnerability his dearest Ronnie, the aron Connor had known for about thirteen of his eighteen years, stretched onto all-fours and nuzzled his hard carapace into his trainer’s torso.

“There you go again,” said Florence, “talking about those grand upwards arcs. Honestly, it’s unbearable that you’re so… content with mediocrity. Didn’t anyone tell you? We’re all doing malaise now.”

Connor focused his gaze and hands on returning the affection to his other travelling companion; with his left hand he scratched the soft obsidian-pitched scales around the back of Ronnie’s head, which received a high-pitched rumble of contentment, while he ran his right one over the steely shell on Ronnie’s back. “I didn’t say we’re not,” he said in feigned exasperated self-defence, “I just said I try to be content — didn’t I, Ronnie? Oh, you’re such a sweetheart… malaise, though, is really useful. I feel it often, even; my life does kinda suck a lot of the time, I just try and branch out into other feelings when I can.”

Florence made a sound in her throat that sounded phonetically like ‘kvetch’, before losing interest and standing up; she zipped up her coat, ensured her pokéballs were all on her, and returned two of her pokémon from their lazing spots in the kitchen to their miniature spherical transport carriers. “Well, Connor, as much as I love you and as much as I’d love to stay and chat about nothing at all forever, I do have to concede that you’re right; we probably should get to work if we want this to go anywhere.”

“Good call; love you too. I think I’ve got everything on me,” he said, reaching through his coat pockets: “wallet, keys, pokéballs, water bottle, knife… lure, camping gear and food’s in my bag… well, Ronnie, do you think we’re ready to hit the road?”

Ronnie’s chirrup seemed as affirmative as any other response he could have had.

“And Pont,” said Florence to the piplup waddling and flapping at knee-height, “how are you feeling? …You want them beheaded, you say? Why, Your Highness, I don’t think—”

“No! He would never say that!”

And the orphans? Well, Young Pontgomery, I think that’s a little extreme myself, but as your trainer and your steward it is my solemn duty to ensure your every need is met.”

Florence opened the door and trailed out the room with the conversation, and Connor followed suit; their pokémon trailed behind, likely unaware of the elaborate structures behind this dumb bit and no worse off for it. He didn’t hate being dragged from his hiding place; the idea of existing in the world felt at least a little more bearable if he was allowed to indulge in the vice of a really terrible joke with no apparent punchline.

“Nooo…” he trailed down the corridor that led into the centre’s lobby. “Pont, you don’t believe in capital punishment; you’re a good little boy! This isn’t in your heart…”

At its heart, Floaroma felt less like a commune and more like a patchwork of a few streets differentiated only by the names and colours of their interminable greengrocers, cafés and florists. One place sold bicycles at a 50% discount to trainers with a valid rookie license; tragically for the frugal, Sinnoh’s mountainous terrain and long natural paths made this investment non-negotiable.

The thin streets snaked outwards towards the town’s limits with houses that all shared the same aesthetic: white walls with plain roofs and fenced gardens, each containing precise flower arrangements showing that the prettiest parts of nature could be owned and bent towards the exact, unvarying needs of a homeowner’s association — there were two schools in the town, a library, a leisure centre and a temple intermingled with these residential zones, and a few other small businesses that provided goods in less immediate demand than high street stores. The trains arrived on time at the station in the far north-east of town, while the long road west out of town snaked past the Windworks and rejoined the highways a few miles down the road; through all of this, the valley winds blew, and the sawmill off in the forest sang to the townsfolk through the trees.

There were probably worse places to get lonely in close proximity to a couple thousand identical souls, though there were more cost-effective ways of achieving that than paying these kinds of rents. On the other hand, Connor had no complaints at all spending just a few days in such close proximity to all this scenery. As far as his interests extended, the town’s pokémon training facilities lay across the street from Hollander Academy over near the train station; it didn’t take long to reach on bike, cycling through gradually shifting repetitions of the town’s monolithic rusticity. The receptionist was probably a couple of years older than him and half-focused on her book as she got the two trainers signed in for the day.

“How’s the book?” Connor asked in an effort to fill the air while she signed their names down on the register. “Any good?”

“No,” said the receptionist without looking up, “just college stuff.”

“Ah.”

“You’re all set, in any case. We close at 9; let the desk know when you’re done and we can sign you out.”

“Cool, thank you so much!”

The receptionist glanced up from her book to acknowledge him and nodded once before fixing her attention on her studies, which were hopefully more interesting. She had no real say in dealing with people like him and every other trainer all day, he thought; he could hardly begrudge her for making the most of her downtime.

The party headed up the stairs, down the corridor, and Connor got set up on one of four courts inside the main hall — Florence took the one on the opposite end of the room. He set his pokémon up between the jagged chalk lines that formed the boundaries of this little arena, made of slightly uneven clay that likely needed some resurfacing; this was hardly like those huge complexes that the pros and the big-name prospects trained in in Pastoria and Sunyshore, but he’d trained in similar or worse conditions all throughout school. These were merely the facilities available to him. He could hardly complain. With Florence, he hauled out the requisite amount of straw dummies and mannequins armoured with used batting helmets and elbow-guards; they wheeled over the two spare pitching machines, one for each court, and mapped out every obstacle alongside every target to ensure an evenly-spread and consistently engaging workload for their partners.

Once all the prep was done, they wished each other luck and then set timers for the next seven hours. Connor retreated into routine like a comfortable cloak and opted to let his instinct take control; overthinking was the silent killer of many a trainer.

Rottenhat came up first; he flew up to Connor’s falconry glove, which was thankfully just big enough to fit the newly-evolved staravia and did not require any costly upgrade, and in response Connor clicked his clicker with his free hand. He put the clicker in his coat pocket and knelt to the ground, slowly and carefully so as to not disturb the balance of his large bird with sharp talons for gripping tightly onto skittery ground-hugging prey; he picked up the lure, textured and coloured vaguely like a bunneary attached to a line, and swung it out into the open air between the walls of the cheap gym building. Rottenhat tore through the air with his talons outstretched and pointed, knife-sharp, at his target; they glowed bone white with elemental energy as he seized it in a matter of seconds, then brought his tango partner down to the floor with such momentum that it almost tugged the line out of Connor’s grip. For his effort, Connor summoned the scraggly teenage hunting machine with back to the glove and rewarded him with a chunk of the filleted magikarp Connor had bought and prepared the other night.

Connor repeated this in variations throughout the session, moving between the lure and stationary targets while trying out different angles or methods of attack: rising towards the lure, falling towards it, coming at it from the side, grabbing it and bringing it to the floor, grabbing it and then letting go, slashing at it, attacking it with wings, blowing it away with gusts of wind, attacking different vulnerable parts of each dummy, slashing with talons, crushing with beak, with each repetition adjusted to hone Rottenhat’s mechanisms or a specific one of his attacks where necessary. He knew what wing attack, aerial ace, protect, swift, and air slash all meant as commands and could execute each one reliably and consistently; he just needed some help fine-tuning his tempo and flight mechanics so as to expend no unnecessary energy and spend no more time vulnerable than needed.

Through it all, Connor found himself unable to escape the feeling that he’d lucked himself into befriending and working with such a fantastic bird; he’d come from the wild as opposed to a specific breeding program, and Connor had only been his partner for about a month now, but Connor swore he had a real natural talent that would serve him well on the circuit. He often wondered whether Rottenhat ever understood any of his gratitude, let alone reciprocated it; he always tried to keep his pokémon out of their pokéballs whenever necessary to allow them to live a little more like the animals that they were, to let them know that they could return to the wild if they ever felt that was what they preferred; there was always that species barrier, far greater than a mere cultural or linguistic one, that would guarantee something always got lost in translation despite their bond.

Once all was said and done, Rottenhat would eventually return to the wild anyways; it would be easier for Connor and likely healthier for the bird in the long run — Connor just hoped to give him shelter, food and training in exchange for his temporary service, so that he would one day become a mighty staraptor and live a lengthy, fulfilling life with a mate in the wild. Many young starlies did not survive in the wild, after all, and even the ones who evolved were not guaranteed to do so again. He told himself that this was ethical and in fact a service to Rottenhat so long as he did all he could as a trainer.

He just couldn’t tell if he lived up to these promises even half as much as he hoped.

Afterwards, there was time for a quick break, then his focus turned to working on Ronnie’s offence — close-quarters combat, ranged attacks, elemental attacks, traps; iron tail, heavy slam, metal claw, rock tomb; stealth rock, rock polish, screech, even some more work getting shock wave right. The little guy beat the ground with his forelimbs, focused hard — closed his eyes — but the ball of electricity crackling over his head always dissipated in a second or two every time. After twenty minutes, Connor decided he’d tried hard enough and called him over for pets, headscratches and treats. Ronnie doddled over with his head hung low and eyes half-shut like sad half-moons.

“Hey, don’t worry,” said Connor with Ronnie’s big head wedged tightly between his arms, “you’re doing fantastic! You made really good progress with everything else today, and we all start somewhere… don’t worry about it. We’ll get it eventually, hey?”

Ronnie perked up about it, chirping and purring with his head held higher as their little break drew to an end — then more work on defence for the two pokémon for the remainder of the session: dodging and deflecting balls from the pitching machine launched at a variety of speeds and angles, over and over until the two got into good patterns with consistency and ease like little tapdancers choreographing as they went.

Connor watched with pride, chest puffed out and arms triangular at each side, when the timer on his phone went off before he could call for a sparring session. Florence had stressed the importance of knowing his limits, not just for his own sake but for that of his pokémon; he equivocated for a moment, conscious that there was always more to do, before turning to Florence and deciding to wrap things up on her schedule. He’d have to make up for the lost sparring once they were in Eterna and ready to train in two days’ time — the sky had already gone dim and blood orange to signify that today was at its end.

The debrief was the same as usual: effervescent, non-stop praise for the two pokémon as they worked away on their treats. Connor explained that he had all the reason in the world to be grateful that his pokémon stuck by him and kept working hard, because he would be nothing without their help; he gave Ronnie another hug and ran the back of two fingers down Rottenhat’s crest, which was as much affection as Rottenhat enjoyed — his brain wasn’t wired that way. He closed his eyes and squawked like a chew toy. That was reciprocation in his own way, Connor supposed as he grinned despite himself. He put everything back where he’d found it with Florence just as a janitor came in; they each bade him a great night, and he returned the gesture.

Outside the hall, the two trainers exchanged their usual post-work niceties — she felt just as satisfied with her progress as he did; they were both ready for the fight against Gardenia, they just needed to keep fresh and sharp in the run-up to the match, and by the way, they’d both lucked out with their search for flying-type pokémon; Elsie, her murkrow, was fantastic — while they headed back through the hall. The receptionist, who was still on shift somehow, was in the midst of a long, seemingly terse conversation with Cam Hendricks and his hulking luxio.

Florence winced a little on instinct, then played it off like a sneeze.

Consensus both in print and online had Cam Hendricks ranked as the second best trainer among this year’s crop of rookies. He was as safe a bet as they came; the training program over at Sunyshore Regional churned out disciplined, versatile trainers at the same rate as the city’s giant factory churned out microchips, and he finished as the highest scorer in his class. His dad was an executive at a software engineering firm, with enough connections and wealth to pay for lessons in Kanto and Kalos over summer. The Pokétch Company gave him a top-of-the-line smartwatch to model with an eye for an ad deal a year or two down the line; his battle uniform had sponsorship patches from a printer company and some health food start-up. If anyone would become the first rookie to beat Volkner in four years, one columnist had written, Cam was almost the safest bet there was.

Connor had almost beaten him once at the round of 16 in a regional U-14 tournament a few years back. Each trainer worked with rental pokémon; Connor swore he had him on the ropes up two-against-one. Maybe if he’d called his toxicroak to attack Cam’s milotic more aggressively, maybe if he tried to bide his time a little more in that final stretch until the poison had worn down the glorious, mighty sea serpent, their lives would have turned out a little different — yes, Cam was always going to become a big deal, but Connor didn’t even have a battle uniform, let alone sponsorships.

Now they were in the same room, and the receptionist had given up on politely trying to explain to Cam that the facilities were about to close for the night, while Cam insisted that he was only going to be an hour or two and that he’d clean up after himself. It wasn’t a big deal, he kept saying. That receptionist didn’t get paid enough for this.

“Let’s go do something else,” Florence whispered. “You wanna get dinner?”

Connor nodded wordlessly and headed to the door to get some air while Cam’s thick, ballooning silence swallowed the room and overwhelmed its inhabitants. His plan seemed to constitute an impossible kind of magic, born from a desire to substitute the cold, hard reality of the facility’s operating hours with the atemporal world he wished to inhabit by force of sheer willpower.

Night fell over Sinnoh in increments; the last vestiges of sunlight faded and conversations across most official channels slowed to a halt. Nothing really replaced either of them save for creaking bugs and a wind chill caught in transition — too amicable for desolate Januaries, at least, but still far less jovial than the evenings in summer. The two trainers found a little part of the meadow in which to sit and steal a little fragment of time. They ate their pre-packed sandwiches, which had long since gone cold, and spoke at length with a distinct absence in meaning. Absence came in many forms with nightfall, after all.

A group of combees finished their work for the day amidst the ash trees and conifers over at the other side of the clearing, beyond the ornate floral compositions cordoned off by rope; their presence, when noticed, halted the idle chatter. “By gods,” Florence said, breathless. She took out her camera and grabbed a few pictures with the flashed turned off. “Look at them. They’re working so hard, aren’t they?”

They gathered their nectar and honey in tight communion with one another, each individual packed into a set of three and shaped in a honeycomb structure that allowed each unit to form a hive structure. They all inhabited the same wavelength, communicating wordlessly beyond the faint hum of their wings in unison. Each individual harboured countless secrets, Connor thought, and each was ceaselessly complex in its own right; he’d heard of combees making surprisingly lively and determined pokémon, popular among novice bug keepers. The sum total of relationships between each member of the hive likely contained more information than he would ever know.

“That’s awesome,” said Connor. “Wow. Yeah, they’re fantastic.”

“Aren’t they just? Aren’t they just — oh, holy shit, look.”

All of them stopped in the air and fell into a giant formation across space as their monarch emerged from the shadows in the woods. Connor had never actually seen a vespiquen in person before; he took out his phone and quickly logged her with the pokédex app on his phone before resuming. She carried herself in such a stately manner; her wings took up far more space and buzzed considerably louder than those of her drones, while her bulky abdomen formed a hexagonal structure similar to a ball gown in shape and a little airship in its bulky, imposing nature. “That’s where she keeps all her larvae,” Florence whispered, “and it’s more like a honeycomb structure than a dress… but isn’t she so elegant? And look at those big eyes, that jewel on her head… what a specimen. Oh, she’s wonderful…”

Connor did not think it was worth saying or doing anything except smiling sincerely at his enraptured friend as she stared at the vespiquen, who either did not know either of them were there or did not care in the slightest. He didn’t mind that at all, nor it didn’t seem to affect Florence’s undying admiration in the slightest. The world would have been a much more boring place to experience, Connor thought, if viewed solely through the relationship each of its constituents had with him — both real and hypothetical. Sure, training a combee or even a vespiquen would have been nice, but right now he didn’t need it, nor did these ones seem to have any interest in approaching or working with him. He was just glad he wasn’t disturbing them, if anything.

His pokémon both sat alongside him; Ronnie sat with his head on his trainer’s lap, staring off at the hive with a mild apprehension concealed somewhat by the width of his eyes and the natural curiosity they always seemed to contain. Rottenhat, on the other hand, perched on a branch in Connor’s eyeline. He kept the staravia’s pokéball on hand ready for a swift return just in case he decided to attack the countless bugs, which was always a possibility. Pont and Elsie rested at Florence’s side in an uncharacteristic quiet and stillness, while her other pokémon — her dustox, Bimpton III (more commonly Bimp; there had not been a Bimpton I or II, to his knowledge) — absent-mindedly crawled up a tree and chewed up its bark.

“This is all pretty wonderful,” he finally said, not fully voluntarily. “I mean, all of this; just hanging out with you and watching the world pass by. It always is. But that vespiquen… wow…”

“Hey,” she replied, nudging him, “you’re not so bad yourself.”

He couldn’t stop himself from glancing over as she looked up at him with a knowing grin, her lips slightly scrunched as if to conceal the full width of the expression; the whites of her eyes stuck out like little stars in their own right.

“Well, you know, uh,” he said, “neither are you.”

“I know. I mean, you said that yourself.”

“Well, I just like to repeat it.”

Connor figured it was better to say nothing and just laugh it off instead, because nothing more needed saying. She reciprocated the gesture, hung an arm around him and brought him in close before taking a few more pictures of the combees as they all retreated into the dark of the woods. They were followed eventually by their ever-vigilant leader, who scanned the horizon for threats and seemed to conclude that neither Connor nor Florence were among them; for a moment, Connor swore they each made eye contact with the glorious creature as she paused in place before retreating.

The moment played out just a little longer before Florence checked her watch. “Well, I should probably head back to the room now; I’ve gotta video call Vi and Syd at nine. Did you wanna come with?”

Connor thought about it for a moment. There was always so much going on as of late, he figured, and such little time to take in just how much there was beyond the confines of the circuit; he figured he needed to humble himself from time to time by taking in the nature and the quiet of the world at night. They’d be out of Floaroma the next day, and there was no saying if they’d ever be back — or, if they were, how much of it would have stayed the same in the time since their visit; again, Connor found himself starting to miss the moment as it dragged on. Besides, he needed to take a few pictures to send to his ma.

“Ah, I’ll go for a bit more of a wander,” he said. “I’ll probably join you when I’m ready for bed.”

“Fair enough!” she said as they both got up to wander. “I’ll leave you to it, in that case. See you then?”

“Yeah,” he said, “see you then. Tell them both I said hi, though; I’m looking forward to seeing them when we’re back in Snowpoint.”

“You got it.”

Bimp, Pont and Elsie all followed their trainer out of the meadow and out of sight, leaving Connor standing beneath the firmament with his pokémon, his thoughts, and some direction to find. Rottenhat looked up at the empty sky, stood up and honked — it was about that time. Connor took his pokéball out and extended it out to the staravia on the ground.

“You want back in, hey, pal?” he asked; the bird honked again as if to give an affirmative and, with a click of the button, dissipated into a trail of light. Ronnie, meanwhile, came from a species who dwelled in caves back in their natural habitat; nighttime walks suited him just fine, barring maybe his stubby little legs.

Connor’s own legs were moving now. He looked back at his seat, double-checked he’d left behind no litter — he hadn’t — and then cottoned onto the fact he was in motion with company. “Alright, little guy, let’s see where the night takes us.”

Ronnie affirmed and responded with rumbles and intermittent chitters, continuing as the sojourn took Connor down the east road out of town along the river current. The membranous dorsal fins of magikarps and a couple other species of fish rose out of the lazing water and glimmered white on orange as their owners passed him and Ronnie, keeping a distant sort of company that felt more symbolic than anything — there were fishermen down the stream and fishing boats at the end of the line, while the eyes of hungry birds overhead and predacious buizels, swimming in wait, fell upon the hapless fish. Connor couldn’t quite put his finger on what it symbolised, exactly.

His walk took him past the trees and along the ridged peaks of the Coronet mountain range, over towards the rhythmic spinning of the dozens of wind turbines standing like a little army guarding the big metallic fortress that housed the Valley Windworks. All these things reminded him of his own smallness.

The Windworks powered a good chunk of western Sinnoh, the counterpart of Sunyshore’s solar panels and the myriad oil and gas plants up in the north; every so often the government floated the cessation of drilling and the transition to nuclear, and every so often some drilling firm running on Galaxy Corps money threatened to fight any such effort in court. The national assembly debated the issue frequently and generally concluded that current practices facilitated crucial trade with Kanto while enabling Sinnoh’s own energy sovereignty, and things remained the same. The sovereignty of the Reranai nation over the territory it had lived on for millennia, even that which it had received in the Celestica Land Act of 1899, did not matter: that was where the rigs stood.

All of this had happened long since he’d been born, and all of it dictated his life in tangible ways. Energy sovereignty was apparently the most important thing in the world — it allowed Sinnoh to stay solvent and ensured people could afford to heat their homes, ostensibly, but when winter came around in Snowpoint it emptied the coffers of almost everyone he knew. Yes, it sucked, but freezing to death at home hardly seemed appealing either. Once-in-a-lifetime winters seemed to happen every three or four years now, which seemed attributable to the atmospheric prominence of greenhouse gases emitted in sites maybe an hour or two from where Connor lived.

In Floaroma, they sometimes complained that the turbines looked ugly.

Connor walked on, unable to shake the sensation that he was being haunted by a ghost.

This was not the first time he’d thought this. People often looked at history like some kind of nightmare from which they could not awaken; while he felt he owed it a bit more grace given his intent to study it in college, he understood the idea. Everything was defined by the social and material conditions that produced it, those conditions deriving shaping and in turn being shaped by an unending series of events, in which he, too, was both a hapless spectator and a potential agent at odds with, and unable to break from, a world-defining logic which had…

…was his head spinning, all of a sudden? Everything seemed distant; the world had become so dim, so fragile, as though it wasn’t really there. His vision blurred, his ears started to ring, and his knees buckled as he trembled forward — what was this falling sensation? Had he had been excised from his body? Was it his fault? No, he hadn’t slept that badly as of late; six hours was enough, even if it came spread across thin spurts; he was pretty sure he’d eaten enough lately, too. Even so, he kept falling as though caught in the pull of a black hole — and oblivion felt so comforting from a distance, devoid of all worry and all the threats of the world that exerted themselves on him in the present and the future; there was no need to worry about… about...

Connor blinked hard and looked around; Ronnie had positioned himself at his feet to prevent him from falling over, and his hand had scraped, splintering, across a wooden fence. He looked around and tried to recall where he was or how he’d gotten here, right outside a set of houses just a few hundred yards from the Windworks proper.

“Oh, uh, it’s okay, Ronnie; I think I’m fine,” he said, kneeling down and affording Ronnie as much affection as he could for the trouble—

“U-um, excuse me? S-sir? Are you a trainer?”

The voice belonged to a little girl, about six or seven, with tears in her eyes; she clutched a teddiursa plushie tight and had her hair done up in a neat little bow. She’d appeared in front of him at some point — had she seen him almost black out? He felt the chill of the wind on his back all of a sudden; he tried to check the time but couldn’t make heads or tails of it. No, that was rude. She was speaking to him, and there was a jackhammer between his ears.

“Sorry, um, yes, I’m a trainer; sorry about that… uh, um, is everything okay?”

She looked up at him as he approached, sniffing and screwing up her face as if to make her tears go back in; there was a moment of hesitation before she continued, and a strange clarity in her eyes that made the cavalcade of noise in his head fade. It was only here that Connor took note of the terrible churn in his gut. Looking around, he felt as if the trees and the concrete in the space around him had gone slanted beneath some great pressure — as if the world itself had been subjected to some great disorder.

For just a brief second, Connor swore he felt a ghost crawling up his back.

“C-can you help me, please?” asked the girl. “I c-can’t find my daddy.”

Last edited:
    Chapter Two
  • slamdunkrai

bing.com
    Pronouns
    they/them
    Partners
    1. darkrai
    2. snom
    - This one's under construction for the time being, I think; I'm not 100% sure about the ending as it fits into the structure of the story wrt future chapters and I worry it gets lost in itself a bit. Do still review it if you want, though; I'm not the review police. :V

- Special thanks to SparklingEspeon and canisaries for providing a second pair of eyes on earlier versions of this chapter.

“Can you tell me your name?”

“Olivia,” said the girl, “b-but my friends call me Olive—”

“Olive, I’ll do everything I can to help find him. Where did you last see him?”

Olive paused with her feet planted on the spot. She looked up, wiping the tears from her eyes and sniffling, while Connor knelt down to meet her. As a trainer, he felt his responsibility was first and foremost to those in need of assistance that they could not otherwise acquire; Olive, standing before him, was a scared kid with a missing father and no pokémon of her own.

“Daddy said he would be home for dinner, because he went to work, but we had dinner at seven o’clock and he still wasn’t home, a-and mummy said he was supposed to be home by now a-and she was crying—”

“H-hey, hey, it’s alright. Please don’t worry about it.” Connor barely even registered his thoughts before they coalesced into speech; he approached this on instinct, trusting himself to do the right thing while everything seemed to speed up in its orbit around the sun. He could not afford to overthink this, either, although he still needed to retain some control—

Snap out of it. “Where does he work?”

Olive raised the arm of her drooping pink cardigan, which was at least one size too big for her, and pointed over in the direction of the giant complex down the road.

The Windworks felt much closer than it had before, its shadow looming diagonal over Connor like the shadow of an arm; the brutalist obelisk of twisting concrete and metal stood with its legion of turbines, great feats of engineering that imposed themselves upon him with their vast scale and number until he found it impossible to imagine anything else.

No heed could be paid to these concerns. He focused his attention solely on Olive, who needed to be happy. This was his job: ensuring all the figures were correct in the broad calculus of her life.

He recalled a half-smile from some place in his mind, then rested a hand on her shoulder and looked her in the eye. She closed her mouth; her breath caught in her throat and stopped before it became a full-fledged idea.

“Olive, uh, I’ll go to the Windworks and I’ll ask around f-for, for your dad; I’m sure they’ll know where he is, and once I’ve found out, I’ll go fetch him — he won’t have gone far, because he works for very important people in a very important place, and they look after him, in there. Does that, uh, does that sound good?”

Olive nodded, although her frown remained etched on her face. Anyone forced to grow up in a family eventually realised that their childhood happiness often stemmed from the illusion of having benevolent, invincible parents; unpacking that idea informed a natural part of any well-adjusted person’s development. This process was often provoked by significant, inevitable life events; Connor frequently told himself that almost every child buries their parents sooner or later. He’d just become acquainted with that fact at a younger age than most.

But Olive’s circumstances were different. Her ability to live as a normal kid, unburdened by absence, had entered a state of sudden, potentially traumatic uncertainty.

“Look, um, d-do you want to pet my friend Ronnie? He’s right here, and he’s very friendly; I usually find that, uh, when I’m feeling scared, he wants to look after me until I’m feeling better, isn’t that right, buddy?”

Ronnie looked up at him on cue, and then for a moment looked right beyond him and froze, before his attention was seized by Olive running her palm, slowly and horizontally, across the top of his steely carapace. Maybe he’d seen something, Connor thought without turning around to verify it. Ronnie’s urge to hesitate lingered in his actions even as he nuzzled into Olive’s hands and trilled, satisfied, which brought her a smile. Clarity flickered on her face.

But Connor remained unclear as to the nature of the force bearing down on him like an anchor. He needed to keep everyone’s morale high. Once Olive was satisfied, he’d be able to think straight again. Everything would impose itself upon him to a lesser extent.

All he had to do was find and rescue Olive’s dad. This would be fine; after all, he trained pokémon.

“Now, Olive; I’m sure your ma’s worried about y—”

There was nobody in front of him or Ronnie, who blinked hard and then surveyed the area. Olive had gone. In Connor’s hand there was a keycard for the Windworks that he couldn’t remember picking up.

By the time Connor registered this, he was halfway to the door and half out of breath. He decided he didn’t mind this, because it was important to move quickly. Maybe once he was inside he could ask around for the owner of the keycard, saying he’d picked this up somewhere and just wanted to return it, oh, and by the way, do you know if Olive’s dad’s still here? It’d go down smoothly like that.

Up in the sky, a drifloon danced slowly in the wind and swayed its appendages about, to and fro, with a nonchalance that disturbed Connor. The little ghost was so far above these human affairs; all this must have seemed so frivolous, so insignificant, which both amused him and inspired in his core a touch of envy. Then again, at least somebody didn’t need to care.

The drifloon looked down into him, making eye contact. There was no reflection in those little blots, as if they’d been drawn on. There was nothing around Connor beyond the Windworks and the cold, empty night; he wasn’t even sure what ground he had to stand on.

While approaching the windows, he found himself overwhelmed all of a sudden by the feeling that there really was nothing around him. It troubled him most that he failed to imagine anything that could fill the gap; it felt very possible that this emptiness was his own fault, that it would consume the whole world and destroy everything simply because he had nothing to offer.

The dimensions of the window shifted to contain the vast nothingness inside, which prevaricated on many forms and felt satisfied with none of them. Tendrils crept across the threshold like streaks of smoke from down a hall, signifying a less breathable air. Each little digit of darkness seemed to beckon him inwards, inviting him to read something into the empty space of its body.

At his side, Ronnie chittered and made a sound like forks running across each other, and Connor almost jumped out of his skin. The aron dug his forelimbs into the sodden grass and made deep iron clawmarks. An uncharacteristic and troubling resoluteness filled his eyes — it wasn’t quite hatred, by any stretch, but it was less kind than his usual demeanour.

“How are you feeling about this?” muttered Connor. “We can just take a look inside, see if anyone’s there, and then call someone; we don’t have to go in properly if you’re worried about it.”

Ronnie remained fixed on him while considering the question. He answered, if Connor interpreted the situation correctly, by marching from the window over to the door, and so Connor followed suit.

“Only if you’re comfortable; let me know if you want to bail—”

While walking away from the window, Connor caught a glimpse of himself in it. There he was: a mass of hair with eyes and a body, none of which coalesced into anything with a clear purpose or discernible form. This encounter stopped him in his tracks.

There had to be a reason as to why he’d come here; he looked at the keycard in his hand and tried to discern the name embossed upon it, but he found himself unable to conceptualise anything about it. It was used to open doors, at least.

A hand made of shadow reached out from the window, replicating his own exactly in shape and size, and it tried to touch him. He instinctively recoiled — something was amiss. He realised soon enough that he felt as though he wasn’t really there, and so nothing could reach out to him because he couldn’t be perceived. The hand immediately vanished.

He looked at the knife in his hand and ran it through the door in an effort to open it; his efforts were in vain, because knives opened things that were not doors. He tried to open the door with the keycard after attempting to give it a name — he couldn’t think of one. He gave up. The door did not open. He panicked. There was no way he could get into the Windworks, no way he could save Olive’s dad, and the world around him remained empty because of his presence.

Before he could run, an arm constricted his shoulder tightly, its pale hand protruding from drooping red garments; each finger was as white and jagged as the bone beneath the skin. The hand tapped Connor’s shoulder, forcing him to turn around and look upon the face of a cowboy. “Let me tell you something, friendo,” said the cowboy — he had features that were somehow so unremarkable that, despite his best efforts, Connor forgot them while he was looking at them; he could never tell if he’d worn that expression just a second ago. “You’ve gotta look inwards before you can look outwards.”

“Do I know you?” asked Connor.

“No, but let me tell you something, friendo. You’ve gotta look inwards before you can look outwards.”

“Wh—” said Connor, before he looked at the door. He’d obviously made some kind of mistake somewhere along the way; by going in and completing his quest, maybe he could glean some insight as to where exactly he’d gone wrong. “Where’s Olive’s dad? Do you know what happened to him?”

The cowboy paused with a totally blank expression. “You’ve looked inwards, and now you can look outwards. Try and open the door again.”

Connor walked away and put his keycard against the door — no, that wasn’t right; he looked in his hand and it was the knife. The door opened. Connor turned around and saw the cowboy smile; his attention then fell on the large gaping wound beneath the cowboy’s right shoulder, which had gone red and oozed with liquid.

“It’s like a donut,” said the cowboy, “don’t worry about it; there ain’t nothing inside me. I’ll be alright.”

That wound hadn’t been there before Connor looked at it, he was pretty sure; he gasped and ran his hands over his slack, open mouth. This was his fault. “A-are you okay?” he said. “Look, I-I’m sorry, I didn’t know. Uh, I’ll call you an ambulance; what’s… your name?”

“You want my name?” said the cowboy, slowly and deliberately. He oscillated between red-hot fury and abject despair without ever committing to either, instead waiting for another terrible clarity to set in. Once it arrived, his eyes almost popped out of his skull and he ran his hands down his face to suppress his screams. “You asshole! Are you out of your mind? Why would you… no no no no no, I’m not—”

The cowboy keeled over and then vanished into thin air while Connor stood half inside the building; while shaking, he clutched one hand demurely to his chest and looked around for any witnesses to absolve him of his guilt or at least confirm that this had really happened. There were no such witnesses.

There was only Ronnie, who still looked at him with that uninterrupted resoluteness. All that mattered was that his trainer was by his side; the cowboy incident hadn’t affected him at all. He didn’t even register it.

That was all in the past now, though, and he told himself it wasn’t worth worrying about. He had no control over how those events had transpired; as a trainer, it was his job to recognise the forces in his control and act on them while discarding anything else.

The corridor in front of him was a vast gullet far too great in scale to chart a thorough course; almost all of the space within lay unseen, concealed behind thick, shifting shadows, as though it was some great, terrible truth taking the form of empty space.

Connor took a deep breath and tried to forget all about the cowboy; there was another missing person he needed to save. He held the keycard in his hand for self-defence and advanced with Ronnie by his side—

The door slammed shut behind Connor without his consent. He knew a threshold had been crossed. There was no-one around.

The corridor felt more like a cavernous pit in some derelict mine near Oreburgh, leading to the heart of the world where all of the resources once worth plundering had now been exhausted. There were no more excavations in this pit beyond those of spirits, removed from bodies and form but still alive in some sense — if living came about through being perceived in the world, or through impacting it via presence or absence.

Connor failed to perceive anything except his own failure to perceive it; he was aware of the unseen, unheard gallery lining the corridor, their hard stares burrowing beneath his skin, but he knew that if pressed he could not present this as proof of their existence to others. Really, there was no tangible evidence of anything at all burrowing into him; there was no physical link binding himself to the past except for these dislocated stares, urging him to recreate some half-memory that wasn’t even his. The future lay stretched out in the netherworld before him, its routes all leading inevitably to catastrophic failure — there was nothing he could wield beyond his own interpretation of events, and he understood these events through their role in leading him into a position he was not comfortable with, both in his own life and in his immediate surroundings. This position was predicated on what would soon happen more than any specific quality of his place in the world — in fact, on consideration, the future and the past intermingled with each other all around him, interfacing upon him to shape his view of the world to such an extent that Connor couldn’t ever hope to get a sense for the present in which he was ostensibly living.

Out of nowhere, Ronnie froze in his tracks and stared up into the boundless shadows. The aron hesitated before screeching and scattering into the distance, having seen something that Connor couldn’t; turning around, he saw nothing except the empty space in the void. This couldn’t be allowed to happen. There was no saying what dangers lay in here. Ronnie could not come into harm; Connor owed him too much. He took off and ran after Ronnie, calling his name at the top of his lungs; he was met with echoes and nothing else.

For some reason, this felt inevitable; it was intuitively true that Ronnie would come to his senses and leave him eventually, even if this was hardly the most opportune place for such an act. His own dispassion felt just as inevitable. Glancing around, he saw himself just standing there despite his need to remain in motion, to keep running and seek out his dear friend; obviously, he didn’t care enough, and so he was doomed to fail forever.

The keycard rested between his fingers. He saw his reflection distorted in its glossy sheen, with his skin and eyes stretched into thin, straight waves. Raising it up for closer inspection as if to confirm its contents, he swore an eye lay fixed on him; there was another here, a thing not unlike himself, validating his presence through its mere presence in the vicinity. Connor didn’t know why he didn’t like that.

A head peered from over his shoulder. He turned around.

Still nothing.

Maybe his life wasn’t his own anymore, he thought. He couldn’t name an area of it that he knew he controlled; each room of his inner house had at some point been occupied by uninvited guests who arbitrarily moved the walls and seemed indecisive on the number of windows. If being alive consisted largely of presenting oneself to the world in the manner of one’s choosing, and if life was an exercise in controlling the self as such, Connor wasn’t really sure he met that criteria any more than the unseen ghosts dictating his every movement.

Nonetheless, although he had no formal guidance in how to act and no clear route out of here, he had to do something soon; nothing would change otherwise, and it would only get harder. The passage of time only accelerated the separation of all things.

So Connor kept walking for an indeterminate length of time, hoping for some purpose to reveal itself. He occasionally glimpsed himself outside his body, which reminded him that he had to find somebody; there were things beyond him, after all. Maybe it was Ronnie — he called out for Ronnie again, although it felt as though the name emerged from his mouth as a series of disparate phonemes divorced from a subject. Still, he wasn’t anything when he didn’t know what exactly he needed to find.

Maybe it lay in his memory; there was nothing around him except for that which he could conceive. He tried to remember anything at all, anything that proved he had an inner life, and suddenly he found himself in a cold, vast expanse drowned in snow, with no company except white-tipped fir trees.

Nature was supposed to hold many secrets, so he tried to walk onwards through it; these plains were unsullied, a little too perfect to be correct in their representation of his past. With each step forward, a blizzard pelted Connor, although he shielded himself with his thick coat and took every wound as it came. These blizzards fell upon northern Sinnoh in winter as negotiable as the sheen of a white guillotine; endless retreat through these landscapes would kill anyone eventually, in days at the absolute most. The ground crunched beneath his feet. He felt his ankles half-twist with each footfall, plunging several inches to reach cold, hard ground.

He had to move anyway. This was how the cold crept up on people: they dropped their guards and decided to rest.

Traversing this landscape proved merely agonising instead of impossible as it should have been. The sheer cold bit at his skin and left scars wherever it touched, rendering his fingers unusable. This frustrated Connor less than the hollowness of it all: there had to be some reason why he’d remembered this, some significance behind these familiar signs. He tried to remember encounters with all the things before him — the falling snow and the frozen lake and the moonless, sunless, starless, cloudless sky — and came up empty, only having moved deeper into the expanse and further from escape.

In the clean metal blade of the hunting knife that now lay in his hand — he’d obviously gotten it out at some point, or more likely, he’d been holding it this whole time without noticing; his knuckles whitened around its handle — he caught his reflection again and felt, once more, that eye reading him. Prey animals came to know this same feeling when they stared into water that rippled in the wrong way.

No instinct dictated his inaction. He failed to move. He hoped that, when he turned around, it was just nothing. Nothing except the cowboy, maybe.

What he instead saw first appeared to be a mass of oozing appendages, snaking outwards and cloaked in the same fabric that filled up empty spaces in the asteroid belt. At the end of each lay extremities that were almost hands with no discernible amount of fingers. The range traversed by these limbs made their number impossible to count, and they infected all things for miles; every item touched by these vines seemed to affirm its own existence by accelerating to its natural end state, dissipating into the cold building blocks of matter. The obelisk from which these tendrils originated advanced forward in silence, threatening to reveal its true form; each time a limb hit the ground, a minor earthquake occurred.

It never quite settled on a true form, or at least not one that was entirely visible; it was almost a white equine figure with a mighty golden ring, except it never quite committed to the idea. It only thrashed in place while its skin peeled away into characters from all kinds of scripts — ones that were written every day and ones that now only lived on the earliest fragments of written poetry known to him. This cavalcade of alphanumeric information was too disordered to ever reveal anything to Connor, who felt ashamed about losing so much with his scared, stupid eyes.

The planet ceased to turn, prolonging this impasse. Soon, all that was could be seen before him.

For all this, for the end of things coming to pass at all, Connor found himself too horrified to stand when he thought for as long as he was capable of thinking about anything — which was maybe a few seconds — and found he had nothing worth saying at all. He screamed wordlessly on his hands and knees in the vain that it would have some sort of effect; he tried to bite the skin on his hand so hard it’d bleed, and he tried to hit his head against the ground with enough force to do something but soon found himself subdued by forces beyond perception.

But at the end of the day, he was still locked in himself.

“Who are you?” he finally whimpered, too ashamed to look up. He had no real desire to know the answer to this question; he only asked because he had to say something. “A-am I looking for you?”

There was no answer. The beast before him continued to thrash in place, roaring and screaming as if rabid, and by extension as though everything that it touched had become infected too; all of it seemed to glitch in and out of place.

Connor failed to hear its cries. “O-oh, right… I just have to look inwards,” he said, “b-before I can look outwards.”

Reaching out, he saw the keycard in his hand and swiped it against the door that had appeared before him. He caught his pallid, meagre reflection in the metal blade of the hunting knife in his hand, and it no longer looked like him; it all just seemed drowned in shadow, a piercing eye shattering the veil. Maybe this wasn’t him. Maybe he’d had no control over his actions at all; maybe he was a host to some parasite, and nothing more.

He found this idea so upsetting that he curled up and attempted to stab the thing living inside him. The thin membrane opened as he touched it with his keycard, and he fell into a vacuum devoid of familiarity and incapable of ever sustaining organic life — a sterile waiting room located nowhere at all.

This time he knelt in the exact same way towards a different beast, one whose nature and form inspired a similar dread within him but for entirely different reasons. Ambiguity had not been among the boons imbued to this one; the land, sea and sky all shifted between states as though wholly unbound and potent like plasma, but there was an unmistakable rigidity — or maybe a concreteness of the flesh — that defined the bipedal animal standing over him. The creature’s pallid skin looked like unpainted marble covering the tremendous musculature of its digitigrade legs, which led into a slender torso and arms shaped not unlike a human body except for the purple sigmoid tail. The creature did not seem to require much in the way of body fat reserves, given its tremendous might and faultless balance; nevertheless, a clear gauntness underscored the stare of those wide feline eyes.

All of this mattered far less than the way the particles danced with malice in the air, threatening to strike him from all angles. The air crackled around the creature’s raised, clawed hand. Blood moved between his ears like protons in an accelerator. Connor tried to make the snow fall just to feel contact on his skin, but he had no luck; there was no longer a cold worth remembering.

He found himself fixated on the chained collar around that neck. He was physically forbidden from looking at it for any time at all before his chin tucked itself back into his neck without his prompting; he couldn’t stand to look or stand at all.

“A-and who,” he said, “a-are y—”

“I,” said the creature, whose muzzle remained static, “am not me. I am deceit. The echo of another; the shadow of the candle flickering on the wall but not the flame itself. In time, I will come for you all. Look upon yourself. Do you see that you were made in a paltry image? That all your failures and all your weaknesses derive from your inability to accept that you could be more than you are?”

Connor looked down at the ground, where there was now a mirror that warped and distorted the entire world; he finally reflected in this glass without the presence of another, but he found that he couldn’t make out his own features. He could well have been the cowboy, for all it mattered.

He looked at his keycard and his knife, neither of which had a name on them and neither of which could really open doors. He did nothing.

White-hot light seared through the empty space around him. In the absence of his person, Connor found himself drawn like a moth to a floating sphere the size of a globe; it balanced between the arms of the creature, who snarled and twitched at him with bared canines.

The radiant sphere turned on its axis and expanded outwards, engulfing everything else with its burning heat until Connor himself felt his skin scorch and his body heat up as if his blood boiled, leaving him unable to open his eyes or look around. Everything felt like plasma or primordial soup, coalescing and dissipating over and over again in the blank spaces of his vision; absence took the place of everything else that he could conceive, as though this emptiness was somehow innate to any experience of the world. There was just an expanding star and three lights orbiting it: one gold, one blue, one pink — each resonating with a different part of him, his mind, gut, and heart.

Connor couldn’t tell where he stood in relation to it, or to any other person, if there were even other people at all. He couldn’t take it anymore — the heat and the crushing nothingness; devoid of any words, he instead just screamed and didn’t stop, rising into the air like a balloon until he started to burn up.

“But isn’t this what you’ve always wanted?” asked the creature. “The natural fate of any young man?”

There was screaming and more screaming, both in him and beyond him; it rose in pitch and volume until all that had ever been became unified in a piercing whistle. An eye fell upon him again, somehow hidden in the pool of white hot light; its dilating pupil and ocean-coloured iris inspected him, inscrutably discerning as the judgement warranted by his actions. Even his own shadow abandoned him in the process. This was the worst part of being seen, he thought. The absence at the core of his person could not be excused, nor could he hide it, because there was another person around and he could do nothing about it. As much as he loathed this — the eye and the sense of being watched, being understood, all while shadows excavated his inner world and controlled him while he receded further and further; that strange intimacy in one sense, the uncrossable distance in another — he just had to let this happen.

Afterwards, there was nothing.

The creature pressed its weight onto his back with one foot, just to show that he was beneath it, and then it disappeared. He looked up and found himself on a desolate, snowy path that ran alongside a vast chasm.

He found himself walking again. The path went by a set of doors which all promised some greater understanding; his keycard opened none of them, and glancing upon it, he saw that the knife belonged to the Valley Windworks. This meant something to him, though he tried to recall it and failed. All that mattered was the destination, which seemed somehow linked to an indiscernible past.

There was a cowboy standing off in the distance behind him, watching and waving with a blank expression; there were people in the trees, applauding him for reasons he couldn’t discern. A note in his hand informed him that he needed to find something or someone, and he knew this was true; he’d lost track of whatever that meant, though.

While traversing this path, a drifloon danced slowly in the wind and swayed its appendages about, to and fro, with a nonchalance that disturbed Connor. The little ghost was so far above these human affairs; all this must have seemed so frivolous, so insignificant, which both amused him and inspired in his core a touch of envy. Then again…

Last edited:
    Chapter Three
  • slamdunkrai

bing.com
    Pronouns
    they/them
    Partners
    1. darkrai
    2. snom

(AUTHOR'S NOTE, 20/01/2024: pssst, ignore this one for now, it needs a little bit of revision to fit the needs of the rest of the story. shouldn't be more than five or six days, I'd imagine. ta)

Florence knew very few people who could afford optimism back home. Half the folks worked on rigs extracting oil from territory that had belonged to their families, then to private buyers and then fuel barons; in return, the oil went to the Indigo Alliance to satisfy the marriage between nations. Her father had been among them before his accident. The process, by his own admission, had turned him into an asshole. Meanwhile there were too few teachers to split the kids between them, too few schools to cover that much land, and most of the doctors went wherever there were hospitals to pay them; one or two more bad seasons of tourism stood between the gym and its relocation to Jubilife or one of the islands off the coast of Canalave. Once the gym went, so too did dozens of jobs and almost all the infrastructure for pokémon education up in the north of Sinnoh.

And folks were well-meaning, sure; there were enough folks worth keeping around. But traditions died hard, old habits harder, and enough forces kept both under threat that the lines had in places blurred in ensuring the preservation of heritage at all costs. Connor was one of maybe four people she knew who had asked no questions and raised no protests whatsoever about her coming out.

Now he was in a hospital bed, gaunt and sedated via IV drip with his wrists zip-tied to the bed while he stayed in the throes of a sleep too deep to fathom. She could do nothing about it, nothing to speed up his recovery and nothing to get back on the road.

The universe has no conscience, so I don’t think it can be cruel or uncaring, she imagined him saying if he could wake up without screaming. But it’s being homophobic to me, specifically, right now.

She let the prickly stillness of the moment play out and entertained the illusion that her fortitude would earn her some favour. Time kept moving ceaselessly, yes, but maybe she could contain it in little rivulets here. She stayed vigilant over his body and told herself he’d be alright, he was still breathing, the cold still unmoving guy before her was not a corpse, and she stayed until the tension broke, until she felt it roll down her cheeks in singular slow droplets. She went to check with the attending doctor. Nothing happened under her watch. It never did.

The doctor looking over him looked at her clipboard and then at Florence in a slow careful fashion, making sure to regard her a very deliberate expression: mouth straight, eyebrows knitted in concern, looking at her through the fluorescent light reflected in her glasses as if to telegraph that Florence was not under interrogation. She could not possibly have rehearsed this look; she’d done this before, countless times, and had become well-versed in the delivery of bad news. “Is there anything you need?” asked Dr. Calchas.

“N-no, I’m fine, I think. I-I mean, at least as much as I could be given the situation,” Florence replied, trying to keep her voice straight, “or, well, I don’t really, er, have a frame of reference for this.”

“That’s an entirely reasonable response. This was an unforeseeable accident; things like this are just about unprecedented in this neck of the woods, as a matter of fact. Did your friend mention he was planning to do anything in there, just out of curiosity?”

“No, he, uh, he said he had to go take a walk. Which I didn’t take to mean anything unusual; he does this from time to time, it’s nothing unusual for him — taking a walk, getting some air, keeping his head clean and stuff. I’m assuming something came up, uh, given where they found him; I don’t think he’d planned this, and I don’t think he even wanted to do, you know, something stupid or anything. Sorry, I just, uh —” she tried not to curse and tried to figure out how to finish this thought — “don’t know much about all this.”

“There’s no need to apologise; your honesty is appreciated.”

“Right, right, I know, uh, thanks. Listen, um, do you know… uh… do you have a good idea of who or what could have done this, exactly?”

At this, the brief glimmer of a smile that had tricked its way onto Dr. Calchas’s face dissipated. In her frown there came a silence, another glance at her notes, and then she ran her fingers across her forehead. “The who is unclear at this juncture, if there is one at all. The what, however… I’m still trying to make sense of that part myself.”

“What do you mean, exactly? Like, uh, do you have a good idea at least?”

“I wouldn’t advise looking too far into it yourself. I don’t even know how much I’m at liberty to discuss, to be honest. I only have very good reason to believe this was the work of a very powerful, very careful pokémon that has no business here.”

She glanced back through the window in the door, at the machines hooked up to Connor, at all the resources that had gone into monitoring him and his cognitive activity, at the restraints that had been placed on him for his own wellbeing; he had been in such a state, she’d heard, thrashing and screaming while out stone cold. The medical team had to have done some sort of psionic or somnolent test, given the severity of the situation.

This was bad news, the sort that made her stomach sink. They’d often talked about how the journey would change them both, about how this was a road they would embark upon and never return in one sense. This was not the sense she had meant.

“What kind of pokémon are we talking about here? Like a gengar, or—”

“I would advise you not to investigate further,” Dr. Calchas firmly repeated. “There is nothing you of all people could do with this knowledge that would make this situation any easier, and I am almost certain you would end up worse off than your friend; it’s something of a miracle that we can expect him to recover and wake up within the week, to the point where I almost assume that the intent was to leave him alive. I’ve emailed one of my colleagues over in Canalave — Dr. Richard Mondeghast, runs a sleep clinic there, knows his stuff and has treated similar, less fortunate cases before — and he shares my suspicions.”

Canalave.

Which most likely meant…

Fuck.

“But how did—”

“I don’t know,” she sighed. “I can’t explain how nobody else seems to have been affected as a result of this incident, either. There’s supposed to be cameras for this kind of thing.”

“…So is this, um… a, uh, an emergency or something? I mean, not just with Connor, but… uh, if, you know…”

“I don’t know. The town watch have started investigating what happened over at the Windworks immediately; all I can say is that I would expect them to ask you a few questions at the first possible opportunity. It’d probably be wise to cooperate with them, even if you don’t know anything. Once the League finds out about this, though… I don’t know what’ll happen next — hey!”

Florence had punched the wall. This wasn’t supposed to happen. This wasn’t supposed to happen. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Not to people like them. Not to Connor. The news made her body shake, made her convulse, and now she was making mistakes and now her knuckles were swelling and beset by a sharp pain. “Shit,” she said, “shit, uh, sorry, I wasn’t — dammit.”

Dr. Calchas still seemed on edge after yelping at her; her widened eyes drew attention to her stress lines. Still, she tried to raise a bare hand to keep her at ease. “It’s fine, I know this is a lot to process. Just — don’t do that, yeah?”

“I’m so sorry, I’m not usually…”

Trying to picture the future for a moment, she instead found herself coming up short and gasping for air. Was Connor going to be able to sleep normally going forward, or would the nightmares become part of his routine? Maybe this was a gradual thing, like a curse or a chronic illness, and it would sap him of his energy. Then what? That was a killer for the circuit, and everything depended on the circuit. What use was any of this if she couldn’t do it with her friend? Was that selfish to wonder? No, that felt selfish; he could have died. She shouldn’t have—

“Excuse me.” She raised a hand to apologise, though she could not bring herself to look up at the doctor who was not to blame for any of this. She couldn’t look at anything. There was nothing now or in the future onto which focus could be fixed. “I need to get some air, sorry.”

“I understand. Take all the time you need.”

She made her exit from this world and its sterile white tiles, all covered by this sense of absence from life itself; when outside, she didn’t feel all that much different. Everything was still the same out here. The world was, after all, still the world. The sun made its imperceptibly gradual ascent through the sky, like the cold white eyehole of a periscope, and looking up she couldn’t escape the sense of being watched.

The standoff dissolved beneath the flapping of wings. A family of starlies went east overhead. They had to leave town for a while for their own survival; they brought home with them wherever they went, she figured, and home lay in the connections they had forged as a family. They weren’t alone.

At least someone could say that, she thought, then she left and went to the river to throw her thoughts in with the magikarps and the watchful, hungry staravias.

Nothing came easy to her in the aftermath of the news, waiting least of all. She was locked in place and she had to break free, but there was nothing to break free from and no secret configuration of items or characters that would return things to their prior state.

Checking back into the centre, all the staff seemed to regard her with a newfound concern. Everyone wanted to know if she was alright, but she worried the way she carried herself deterred everyone not just from that question but from engaging with her in any meaningful way at all. At least they didn’t ask the question. It didn’t need an answer.

In the wide open plaza connected to the thin and transitory hall, she still could not shake the sense of being watched when she went to check in with the nurse at the front desk. The nurse was mid-enthusiastic conversation on the phone, but registered her approach and dropped a few registers. “…oh, um, do you mind if I call you back in a minute, actually? I’ve just got to — yeah, yeah. Cheers,” she said before putting down the office phone and clearing her throat once Florence stood before her. “Is there, uh, anything you need at all?”

“I want to see my friend’s pokémon,” Florence replied, before realising this hardly made a good impression. “You know, er, to see how they’re holding up and everything; a friendly face and all that.”

“Oh, yeah, no problem at all; I’m sure they’d appreciate that. That’s the staravia, isn’t it, and the aron? The poor dear, I’m sure he’d appreciate it.”

“How is he?”

The nurse — Clancy, her badge read — sucked the air in through her teeth and knitted her fingers together, shoulders shifting in the process. “He’s being as friendly as he can and everything, and he does try to cooperate with us when we give him food and all, it’s just… you know how it is, unfamiliar surroundings and faces, his trainer’s gone all of a sudden, and I mean… I think he’s had a bit of a fright, you know?”

Ronnie might have seen the culprit. Most likely, he’d felt its presence; she’d heard rumours that animals were more sensitive to certain kinds of auras. That kind of talk mostly made her bristle — the basis for this assumption, that humans were some spiritually different and more-or-less attuned entity from every other living thing, felt strange to her — but the mere possibility of it in this instance twisted something in her stomach.

“Well, uh… hopefully a friendly face will do him some good, aye?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m sure it will.”

“I just wish I could look after him myself for a bit, but, um… you know, hands are full with everything.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” said Clancy. “I’m sure you’re a good friend. Just follow me through here, I’ll take you to his pen.”

The two went through a door and down another corridor, where the fluorescent light reflected dimly on the laminate floor and the windows, which seemed to serve no real purpose except to make this interstitial space feel a little more homely, were being cleaned from inside. “Morning, Fred,” said Clancy, “how was the holiday?”

Fred kept at the windows as he turned, beaming around, with his tidy uniform and his name tag with its many decorations. Florence didn’t even know pokémon centres had employees of the month. “Aye, it was grand! You can’t beat Blackthorn in spring, I tell you; took some photos, saw some dragons, and they had a new hotel open up there — great craic, they’ve got a buffet you won’t believe.”

“Oh, great! You’ll have to tell me about it in a bit, aye.”

“You know I will.” His attention shifted to Florence for a moment and he gave her a curt nod, then got to whistling a song — that old power pop group, Such Little Nonbelievers; she didn’t know the exact tune but her dad loved them — and he went to work. Then she kept walking.

“Sorry,” said Clancy, “we love Fred around here. Always nice to have a chat with him, you know?”

“No need to apologise. Always nice to have good colleagues.”

“He’s the best damn janitor I’ve ever known. Gonna miss him when he retires.”

Ronnie was staying in a fenced area out back, sandwiched between two wings of the building; he had plenty of room to dig and a miniature cave to hide away in, but none of it seemed to interest him. She saw him through the door that led out back, picking away in a state of disinterest at the food in his bowl while watching the clouds pass overhead. Was he shaking? She looked — no, yeah, he was, and that was his whining. Her heart sank. Poor guy.

Clancy took her through; his head turned as the door opened, and immediately he scuttled over to Florence with his eyes wide like telescopes. She dropped to one knee on the spot and held her arms out to him, bracing for his impact; he bundled up against her and she held him tight, running her hands across his metal hide and patting him as he negotiated as much space as he could take up. He chittered and chirped in position and, even when Florence pulled away into sitting position, he bundled up beside her just to keep close.

The experience hadn’t changed him too much, at least; he was still his old friendly self. He wasn’t too far off becoming a lairon, she thought; he was getting big for an aron and could handle himself in most of the battles he’d been in. She wondered if he would still be so affectionate and so keen on the people he knew as he grew; there was a chance that, by the end of the year if things went particularly well on the circuit, Connor would have Sinnoh’s biggest lap dog to work with.

But that was the thing, she supposed.

“Well,” said Clancy, “good for him; he looked like he was seeing ghosts this morning. He hasn’t been eating much, and we’ve not had luck getting him to drink either.”

“That’s definitely unusual for him, aye.” Florence looked at him, and in turn he looked at her with something approaching expectation; he was on all fours and holding his stare unblinkingly — until she ran her fingers behind his carapace, on the softer scales nearer the back of his head; he blinked hard and slow, but seemed to droop a little and lose his enthusiasm after a moment. “I don’t think he’s been away from Connor for more than a day or two in years, you know.”

“Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case… so he’s a long-time pet then, aye? It’s harder with them when something happens. The ones you catch on the routes, they’re less separation-averse — a little harder to train, at first, but they’re better equipped to handle themselves if anything happens. You know all about that, though, I’m guessing.”

“Yeah,” she said, “it’s a double-edged sword. I often wonder if this is the right thing for us all, you know, if this is good for him in the long-term. Same with my pokémon, too. I like to think we’re friends as well as partners, but, uh, if I wasn’t doing them right and I didn’t know, what would they do about it? Or if I got sick. I don’t know how fair that all feels.”

“It’s just one of those things, isn’t it? I don’t think they mind too much, as long as they’re fed and looked after, and battles are enriching for them — I think the science says it’s fine, and I’m sure he loves his trainer; he loves you, I can say that much. But they can’t really say much, can they? I wonder if they have lives outside of us. It’d be easier if they could just tell us about it, I mean.”

“Oh, for sure,” said Florence. She got up and went over to his bowl, and he followed her over to it. “Are you hungry, trooper? You’ve gotta eat; it’ll make you feel much better about everything.”

He followed her arm as she gestured at the ore in his bowl; he got to nudging it a bit more, then took some more bites out of it and put it on the floor to play around with like something unexpected and miraculous would happen. It didn’t. He just wasn’t interested.

“I know, I know, me too,” she sighed. “But you’ve gotta eat your food, yeah? Be your best for when he wakes up, because it won’t be too long, and you’ve gotta get strong with him for the big match soon. Hey?”

He responded only with a down-pitched, faint rumble and got back to taking each bite, slowly working his way through it; in response, she just got back to keeping a hand on his back and patting him.

Rottenhat, meanwhile, hopped around near his perch over at the back of the pen silently as if to keep himself entertained. He seemed his usual self, which was good.

Clancy’s eyes lit up as she pointed at him. “Oh, he scratched me bad earlier, while I was getting his food.”

“Ah, that’s normal for him; he’s a teenager. Glad someone’s doing fine, at least.”

“Better that he’s eating than the alternative, at least. It’s a wonderful line of work, this is.”

“How’s it pay?”

“I get by. Could be better. I wouldn’t want to do anything else, though.”

Florence supposed this was inoffensive work, great if you liked being around animals, although trainers could be pricks sometimes. Dealing with particularly sick patients must have been tough; she’d heard that if you spend any amount of time with animals who need support, even for just a short time, you’re bound to get used to worst-case scenarios and inexplicable loss. But someone had to do all this.

Back home, they were always in need of people to do this; there were nurses and there were rangers, but not enough of them. The harsh conditions, long hours and low pay for constant work led to burnout for all but the most passionate; Florence did not have the patience of a saint herself, but she didn’t foresee herself living anywhere else once all was said and done. Her grades weren’t great, and she didn’t have much choice.

Ronnie didn’t have much choice either, she supposed, although Connor tried to give him as much of a say in his own care as possible. He cared more for the wellbeing of his pokémon than his own sometimes, as though there was no correlation between the two; watching him keep this delicate balance had been watching a boy cross tightropes for a decade. All the mechanisms that kept him from falling receded further from sight, but they’d both been sure they still worked.

All it took was one foot wrong.

She stayed for a little longer to keep Ronnie company while he ate, just to make sure he was himself; he grew more comfortable as time went on, but did not find it in himself to say much nor was he in much mood to play even as Pont and Elsie investigated him with beaks and idle chatter. As much as she wanted to take him back to the room or invite him out to train, she doubted he would have found it much use. There was still something in the corner of his eye, something he turned around to look at from time to time, and occasionally he got real tense all of a sudden as though being alive was this chilling thing. But there was nobody there. Just the wind.

The world still moved, though; her deadlines had not budged, and her own team still demanded her attention. “You’ll be okay, little guy, alright?” she said, in the hopes he would understand. “I’ve gotta go now, but I’ll see you tomorrow. It’s going to be okay. I know, I know.”

Ronnie seemed to recede into the pen as she stood up, remaining static while somehow minimising a core part of himself. He didn’t try to follow her as she left and instead got back to sitting, waiting, watching the clouds move above the nearby forest as the silhouettes of the trees shifted to meet the demands of the day.

Clancy remained at the desk — how long was her shift? “How was training?”

“We got it done,” she replied with a shrug, “better than nothing.”

“That’s the spirit. I’m sure Gardenia won’t know what hit her, and every other gym leader in Sinnoh is going to stay on watch; it speaks volumes for your character that you’re still sticking with your routine under the circumstances.”

This came from out of nowhere. There was no way she knew that for sure; she probably said that to most trainers, in all honesty, and what was she going to say, that she was likely a flameout and wouldn’t even sniff Fantina? That wasn’t true, obviously, but neither was the alternative yet. “Uh, thanks, I guess,” she said, focusing on the wall because it was far more interesting than the situation at hand. (It wasn’t.) “Uh, has anything of note happened today? Are you not finished yet?”

“Ah, well, one of my colleagues isn’t well, apparently. Can’t get out of bed, I heard. Not like her. She’s barely lucid, so I’m covering her for the afternoon.”

“Oh.” Florence considered this for a moment. Was there any chance that this was related to… wait, no, did they know what had happened to Connor? She raised a finger—

“Oh, before I forget, uh, Ballard and Stirner from the town watch said they wanted to speak to you. They said to give them a call, or failing that, they’d be back later.”

Small-town cops. Florence’s eyes rolled back hard enough to take her head with them; the ceiling read like a ransom note in that moment, demanding her compliance. She sighed. A smidge over three thousand people lived here, and many of them were retirees or shop owners. These were the type of cops whose primary duties were to local housing prices —

“Alright, cool,” she said, “thanks for letting me know.”

— and whose jobs consisted primarily of yelling at drunks and the homeless, maybe even fumbling the odd murder case from time to time. They weren’t solving this one, and they probably knew it.

Clancy beamed back at her, anyway. “No problem! I don’t imagine they’ll give you too much trouble; they’re not bad guys, really. Just a little gruff.”

Why did she feel the need to specify that? “Oh, that’s good. I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Let us know if there’s anything else you need, yeah?”

Florence gave a thumbs up to Clancy, who to her credit had been very kind today, and nodded. “Hope the rest of your shift goes well.”

The erstwhile nurse returned the gesture with a preternatural enthusiasm which concealed any irony it may have possessed.

En route to the room, Florence tried to take her mind off things by reminding herself she’d done brilliantly with training; all her pokémon, Elsie and Pont behind her while Bimp rested in her pokéball, had been fantastic, and she’d kept focused the whole time. It was hard work and it lasted until sunset, but it was forward momentum; it kept her occupied. Elsie even showed some real progress with dark-type moves today. These warranted treats, and then an evening of resting up with a movie…

She paused at her door. Sounds came from beyond the threshold, hushed mumbling and fiddling through belongings. She had locked it. She distinctly recalled having locked it. She jerked the handle.

Yes, she had locked it, and nobody had unlocked it.

Wh—

Oh, she thought, they hadn’t.

She muttered half a curse, reeled back, swiped the card against the lock and forced the door open. She was greeted with the sight of two men in uniforms, one of whom was wiry and smiled like a car salesman while the other had handcuffs and a truncheon out on show. The wind blew in from an open window behind them; the curtains parted to reveal a snapshot of the world outside and a complete absence of shame.

“Evening, officers, mind explaining what the fuck you’re doing?”

“Language,” said the bald armed burly suit in his grim voice. “Police business.”

“You must be—” said the lankier one with his hair slicked back. He squinted for a moment and then pulled back, taking some mental notes. What was this about? “Okay, I see. So you’re Florence?”

She tried to hide the extent to which she was shaking, hiding her arms behind her back and clenching her fists while imagining she held the handles of, say, some wire cutters. She tried harder to keep her voice even, quiet and professional, not because she respected them — they didn’t respect her in the slightest — but because she couldn’t afford to make them angry. They were dangerous. Lunatics with badges.

“Do either of you have a warrant, or do I need to report you for breaking and entering?”

“Now, now, don’t be like that; you don’t own this room, after all, you’re just renting it — if you want to play it like that, we’ll just say you didn’t cooperate with our investigation and have you kicked out. We’re both on the same team here, I hope; we want to see whoever did this come to justice. Let’s be nice to each other, friendo. Alright?”

This detective spoke with a level of enthusiasm that seemed totally detached from the content or meaning of his words, or anything that actually existed. It made her skin crawl. If this was an intentional affect for unnerving, it worked perfectly; it also made her want to kill him in cold blood, but that was neither here nor there.

“Here, I’ll even introduce us,” he said, still beaming with his rows of white teeth bared, “I’m Detective Marc Stirner and this here is Sergeant Louis Ballard; we’re both with the Floaroma town watch, and we’re investigating what happened the other day over at the Windworks. We're here because your friend is a person of interest, and we just want to establish how much you know about it, yeah? You’re not a suspect yourself, so—”

“Sorry, what do you mean he’s a person of interest exactly?”

“Well, we’re just trying to establish what happened; obviously, we found him in the building not long after the power had gone. As of right now we’ve had difficulty establishing if anyone else was in there—”

“No, no, I’m sorry, you can’t be serious. He was fucking unconscious! He was a victim; what are you suggesting, that he did this?”

“Not until we have the evidence,” winked Stirner, “and it’ll do this town a great service if you just let us know what you know. We’ll even take a seat, look, and take notes if you just let us know what you can.”

“Unless you have a warrant—”

“Does your friend, uh, Connor, isn’t it, does he have a history of crime? Even just anything petty that you happen to know about, I mean, we won’t charge him for that, but even little things can mask the sort of impulse that leads a person towards… say, if it is him, maybe it’s vandalism, maybe it’s terrorism; both can have catastrophic consequences if left unchecked.”

This was unconscionable. Florence found it incredible that these people even existed, and if the universe was capable of possessing cruelty, it sure exhibited this impulse by insisting that she had to answer these people or else they could measurably make her life worse — maybe they’d arrest her on bullshit charges or something, maybe they’d just keep harassing her; this wouldn’t be their investigation for much longer anyway, but the dark shadows they were allowed to cast across the room filled her with utter, incandescent fury.

Pont had gone across the room to investigate these two intruders; he was slightly puffed up, yes, but showed no immediate signs of being prepared to attack. This was just caution, if anything.

“Control your pokémon,” said Ballard.

Stirner had reached into his pocket and gotten out a black-and-gold pokéball of his own. “Buddy, my arcanine, is in this ultra ball. I can and will let him out if I have reason to believe that you are threatening me with your piplup; I don’t believe you are right now, of course, but I suggest you ensure that your friend there keeps his distance so that we remain on good terms, capiche?”

“Get out of my room right now, or I will do everything in my power to ensure you never work again. I am being entirely serious, you have no legal right to be in here—”

“It’s your word against ours, Rosencrantz,” Stirner rebutted with a grin that crooked like a raptor’s beak, “and we’re men of the law; I don’t know if I’d risk that, especially if I was you.”

“Answer the question,” said Ballard, “this is an official investigation and refusal to cooperate is a punishable offence.”

That wasn’t even true, really; there was nothing backing up their authority to do this except for their badges, their occupational titles, and the various tools on Ballard’s belt that could be used for violence. The knotted rope of Florence’s stomach stretched out so hard that it strummed, and she still tried to remain calm even as she was filled with the urge to scream.

Connor had, in truth, shoplifted a few times before; he was never caught, and in her view it didn’t really count. No reasonable jury would convict him for that: a kid who’d spent all his money on food for his pokémon while his mother was unwell and had spent all her money on heating in the winter months. What else was he going to do?

“No,” she said, “he’s never done anything of the sort, obviously; do you think they would have let him become a trainer otherwise, hmm?”

She regretted answering, but in truth, she was scared. Yes, there was nothing good that came from speaking to cops; yes, they were looking for an excuse to bust Connor — in all likelihood, probably her too, they were doing nothing to mask their sheer revulsion towards her mere existence; besides, the one difference between a cop and a fascist was that one was on the clock — but there was a legitimate chance these men were spiteful enough that they would get her taken off the circuit for not going along with their little game. There would be nothing after that.

“Well, evidently, they’re letting anyone become trainers these days. You’re probably qualified, I’m sure, but I just don’t think you can be too careful with that kind of thing these days.” Stirner paused, raised a finger, and suddenly took on an expression of grave concern as though to reveal the truth and justification behind his cruelty. “I mean, look at what happened in Hoenn; many of those people were licensed trainers, too. Many of those cultists were, in fact, like you and your friend; many of their friends would have stuck up for them and many of them would have stuck up for each other if asked whether they were criminals or, you know… dissidents. The subversive types.”

“Where are you going with this, exactly?” said Florence. “Do you think we might be liable to terrorism just because I don’t trust you?”

“It’s not that at all. You see, the issue is that that kind of thing simply cannot be allowed to happen in Sinnoh. Not on my watch. What happened with the weather cults only happened because their government was a little, you know… lax. Tolerant, even, of some unsavoury behaviours. It all starts with that unhappiness, you know, that malaise certain people had with the way their lives had gone; it wasn’t their fault, they didn’t think, that they were broke and alone and impotent, so they went to protest, went on strikes, started organising against the government, and all of a sudden they decided the right thing to do was try to flood and burn the land just to vent their frustrations — tip the scales back in their favour, you know, get a taste for how it feels wielding the power of the gods just like the old champions. Hundreds died and people lost their homes, Rosencrantz, all because people didn’t know what to do with their emotions. They didn’t feel they were big enough. But we don’t do that here, especially not in this town. We’re a happy and beautiful people, you know that? The people of Floaroma don’t mean any harm. Naturally, we just want to protect our land and take care of our lots in life — nothing more, nothing less. You don’t want to get in the way of that, do you?”

Detective Stirner hardly blinked as he delivered his little speech, nor did he gesture or even emote except for an imposing smile as he asked his final question. He just stared as though this was the most natural thing in the world, as though the importance of his words removed the need for any additional whistles and bells. This was the most honest thing he had said all day.

It made her want to scream into the deepest mine in Oreburgh, then start throwing people into it until the vast emptiness gave or she did. Short of that, it made her want to burn down a building. Neither were feasible.

“No, and I never said I did,” said Florence, “and certainly neither does my friend. I don’t care about this town at all — even if I hated it with all my guts, do you think I could afford to get myself into trouble, hm? After how hard I worked to get here to begin with? All my life I’ve only tried my best, and look where it’s got me. Dealing with you fucking thugs. Are you proud of yourselves? Does this make you feel good?”

Elsie was silent and perched uneasy on the chair, her wings ruffling and her head hung low; meanwhile, Pont had almost vanished into some shadow in a corner of the kitchen. The two agents of terror sucked all the air out of the room in their sullenness, which Florence would not have minded if not for the fact that Ballard’s arm itched at his side, right above his truncheon and handcuffs. She felt reasonably confident in guessing he owned a gun, certain that he wished he had it on him, and relieved beyond belief that he didn’t; pistols were standard issue back home, at least.

Stirner, though, had the ball with his arcanine out in his hand and that grin back on his face. “Are you sure this is how you want to do it? We’re not asking for much — all you have to do is co-operate. Tell us what your friend was doing in that building and you’ll never have to see us again. It’s that easy.”

This was ridiculous; they had no evidence of anything. They were desperate. Florence tried to imagine how this would develop: he would get his giant hound out and keep threatening her until he either got bored or escalated the situation. Her blood ran cold. He wanted an excuse.

“I don’t know. That’s all I can tell you. Now, if you’d excuse me, I’ve got to go.”

“I beg your pardon?”

The two men rose high in the centre of the room and placed their long shadows across proceedings, casting an impermeable malice through all four corners of these lodgings. Florence turned away immediately and scrambled her hands across her belt, returning all her pokémon to safety outside the sight of her two enemies; she grabbed for the door and swung it open in the space of a few heartbeats and headed out to safety in the lobby, not daring to turn back and recognise the footsteps drawing nearer and nearer; if they got her, there would be no return.

She kept walking through the open lobby and out into the world. No destination lingered on her mind except for far, far away from Stirner and Ballard, from the investigation, from Connor and from everything. She crossed the bridge and headed off to the trees, eventually finding herself in the same clearing where the vespiquen had emerged.

Buzzing filled the air, the sound of the nearby sawmill turning dead things to lumber for cheap export; the forest’s vastness did not preclude it from its materiality or the growing needs of Sinnese commerce. Of course the combees still worked themselves on the other side of the grass, though many of them hid off behind the firs. They still had their home for now. They did not comprehend the serrated buzzing off in the distance, nor their proximity to the forces that could, in an instant, call for their expulsion to make way for a retail park or a new highway could be built. They lived in relative peace, their lives more complex than Florence would ever comprehend.

She caught a glimpse of their matriarch tending to her drones and sighed, slumping down to her seat and burying her forehead into her wrists. Everything remained in motion. There was more to the world than her issues, yes, but her issues were a part of the world nonetheless. The fresh air did not make her feel better, and despite the prying eyes and curious beaks of the pokémon on whom she depended, she felt alone and insignificant.

The clouds still moved overhead, after all, and the silhouettes of the trees now drowned her in shadow. Tomorrow, much of this would happen again. Grief, for all its power over her, was a man-made construct. Time would erode its effect; the gods decreed it thus.

Each repetition felt more hollow. The bounds of every day reminded her only that she was trapped, that she could not leave until her friend recovered, which would take a few days or all eternity. His attacker remained on the loose with no such ailment except guilt, maybe, if such an emotion registered; they were at once too distant to really comprehend and so inescapable that she could muster no response that would matter. Had they been alone? Were they back on their island, on Wilsing or Apollo or was it Plummer Isle, or did they linger nearby in the walls that humans had built to keep them out? Who could give them shelter?

Training occurred without interruption. Her pokémon continued to excel. Gardenia would stand no chance against Elsie’s wings and glowing talons, or failing that Bimp would finish them off. Even beyond the prep for that one battle, they all became stronger, more durable, more able to withstand long periods of exertion — physical practice kept everyone fit and sharp, holding off the rust and with it the threat of failure. Fatigue took longer and longer to set in, and yet she felt tired of it the whole time; she wondered if this was all there was to it, or if there were more meaningful lives that her team could lead beyond the rote world she had asked them to call home.

In an instant, she kept thinking, all of this could vanish. What would she say for herself after that? Who was she beyond all this? Was she funny? It felt vain to admit, but nobody had told her she was funny.

All her free time, of which there seemed to be less each day, went towards finding movies to watch more than it did actually watching them; there were only so many Slaughter in Saffron knock-offs and sequels out there, while finding the decent ones felt even harder still. This was no way to pass the time. This did not aid her recovery, although she didn’t know what she had to recover from in the first place.

She still made sure to eat and drink and shower and shave each day. None of the basic needs in her control could go unmet; falling behind there would worsen her odds of success out on the circuit. The company of others, however, did not come so easily in her time of need. The empty bed opposite her own felt no more welcoming even with the knowledge that Connor would be soon be out of hospital.

With each visit he remained constant, occasionally shifting in his sleep but rarely thrashing anymore. She hoped this meant he was at greater peace, that sleep had come more easily to him. The doctor’s updates did not shed much more light on things: he remained in the thrall of nightmares, the physiological effect of which was akin to a prolonged panic attack, and though he would wake up soon the long-term effects would only reveal themselves in the subsequent days, weeks, months. The extent of his prior struggles with anxiety, depression or insomnia still needed to be determined to further paint a picture of his health and help chart out his roadmap towards recovery. None of this put Florence at ease; she had no idea what this would mean in the long run.

“…anyway, uh, did you say you wanted to come back to mine and have a few rounds?” asked Mia.

“Oh, uh, yeah, sorry. What?”

Florence looked around and took stock of her surroundings. This was the café she’d seen a few times; she’d never gone in before now. Her next-door neighbour from the centre sat across the table. Had she knocked on for her or something? The specifics of this meeting eluded her as she tried to think back on it.

“Sorry,” she continued, “I zoned out for a sec there — yeah, I’d be down, uh… what, uh, what were we talking about just now?”

Mia wore round gold-rimmed spectacles. Behind them, she blinked harder than usual a couple of times. Her eyes, striking and azure, telegraphed a sympathy Florence wasn’t sure she’d earned. “Um,” she began — Florence wasn’t sure how this had caught her off-guard — “we were talking about how you were the best Stormgirls: Deluxe Tournament player in all of northern Sinnoh, by your account, and how you’d spent countless hours on it. Then, uh, before that you were saying what had happened to your friend.”

“Oh,” she said, “oh, right, yeah, uh — sorry if I was trauma-dumping or whatever.”

“Don’t even worry about it! Listen, we all have shit we need to unpack, you know; the world is a miserable place sometimes, and it sounds as though you’ve had a particularly rough run of it. I don’t know how I’d be holding up in your shoes, you know? Besides,” said Mia, oddly devoid of any discomfort at all, “all we have is each other. One person isn’t a community, after all, and we’re social creatures in the end. If things are to get better in this world, it will be because we all have each other.”

That came out of nowhere, Florence thought, but the sentiment was very nice. “Yeah,” she said, “I guess. Uh, thanks. I mean, I’ll feel better once he’s on his feet again; I just… it’s dawned on me that I gotta get out more, gotta make new friends, you know? Anything to take my mind off things.”

“You can’t outrun your problems forever,” said Mia with a grin, “but you can fight them. No army of one ever won a war.”

In truth, Florence didn’t even know there was a war on. It sounded convincing, though, so she went along with it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom