• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Twitch Plays Thousand Roads. [DISCUSSION]

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Okay, so I was thinking to myself "Kandy, You're SUCH a good writer, but don't you want to be a good writer, but don't you want to write with OTHER PEOPLE?" and that's when I had the idea:

Twitch THOUSAND ROADS plays Pokemon.

The Idea is simple: Set up a standard journeyfic, establish some base rules, and let everyone including myself go buckwild.

essentially anyone could write the next chapter of the fic, and anything could happen. the idea is to "Yes and" the last person's decision. if you're writing a chapter and someone posts before you, than too bad, that's the new cannon, cry about it.

The problems/questions:
A: I did zero research, so this could have already been done by someone cooler than me.
B: What rules would I (should I) implement to keep this fresh and new. I don't want it to feel like two people going back and forth (which can be difficult sometimes.)
C: Would I put this under roleplay or fanfiction?
D: is this even a good idea lol.
and E: if I did start it, what REIGON would be fun, but not boring.

all responses and suggestions are good responses and suggestions. I very much appreciate feedback.

Last edited:

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
I am literally just some guy here, but I'll answer what I think the answers will be, and if someone who actually knows what they're talking about comes by then they are free to correct me, but:
A: Even if it has already been done, it sounds like a fun thing to have happen again if it has before, and to happen now if it hasn't yet.
B: Maybe rule it so that each post is limited to a certain number of words (kind of like a drabble is 100) to prevent people from doing too much in an action, people can't make another post if they were within the last two or three until 2 days pass or something so everyone gets a chance to build up but still giving people a chance to keep it going if it falls into obscurity for a while.
C: I could see this going under Games and Roleplay as a Choose Your Own Adventure adjacent type of story, but I'm probably not qualified to speak on this one
D: I think its a great idea, I would certainly participate in it.
E: Honestly, I'd say that if a religion gets created for this, it can just come up as the story goes on, like how twitch plays pokemon

Once again, I'm just some guy on the forums and probably am wrong about something, but this is at least what I think

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
E: Honestly, I'd say that if a religion gets created for this, it can just come up as the story goes on, like how twitch plays pokemon
YOU'VE GOTTA BELEIVE I MEAN REIGON.

my bad chief.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
Okay, so I was thinking to myself "Kandy, You're SUCH a good writer, but don't you want to be a good writer, but don't you want to write with OTHER PEOPLE?" and that's when I had the idea:

Twitch THOUSAND ROADS plays Pokemon.

The Idea is simple: Set up a standard journeyfic, establish some base rules, and let everyone including myself go buckwild.

essentially anyone could write the next chapter of the fic, and anything could happen. the idea is to "Yes and" the last person's decision. if you're writing a chapter and someone posts before you, than too bad, that's the new cannon, cry about it.

This is a thing I've seen done a few times probably, although I have to admit I never paid them enough attention to learn their mechanics or observe their dynamics. If anything, it's quite a fun experiment to see when it works.

I'm just a person sometimes but I'm telling you of my vibes here.

The problems/questions:
A: I did zero research, so this could have already been done by someone cooler than me.

I know it's been done a few times, I just don't know off-hand where or by who. Also it's most likely more prevalent in other mediums.

But I'm a strong suscriber to the Cakes Theory, so, more cakes! Even better if they're tutti frutti.

B: What rules would I (should I) implement to keep this fresh and new. I don't want it to feel like two people going back and forth (which can be difficult sometimes.)
C: Would I put this under roleplay or fanfiction?

I think these two questions go together.

If you want to model this as a roleplay, you are going to need something like a system of turns or a bin of "plot slots" to make sure more than one or two people are relevant to the construciton. You'll also you'll have to set up a few rules to constrain how much of previous posts can be discarded or reused, and what is the "lifespan" of whatever canon is built, because otherwise what you are going to end up doing is to promote that the people most invested on contributing end up spamming posts to keep "their canon" relevant.

If you want to model this as a multi-author fanfiction (what I've seen referred to sometimes as "spaghetti posting") you'll likely only mostly need the turn system and not much else, since the mechanisms of writing for the medium themselves provide more control (in google docs for example you can set up editing only for registered members, and there's a history of edits).

and E: if I did start it, what REIGON
HydREIGON, obviously!

All in all I like seeing discussions about this as a (kinda new) fiction format. Unsure what will result from here, mostly hoping it turns out well, who knows, while I don't really have long expectations from a "Twitch Plays" kind of thing due to their inherent mechanics, from what I've seen they tend to shine well while they last, as the Helix and ATV themself are evidence of.

Top Bottom