• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Treasure Town ~ Woodland Outskirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 16, Morning ~ CIno's Radiance

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
Nothing worked. Cino was trying since the early morning hours to find out what this Radiance is supposed to be. He was close to giving up entirely on this. Maybe it hadn't formed in him yet, as Maple said? If he had just touched the orb while he was there...

He walked around in circles, thinking about what his next try should be. Maybe he should just ask someone who already figured it out. Maybe he was doing something wrong. Did he have to use a move for it to activate? No, he tried that already... Did he have to be in danger? Ehh, not much danger out here as far as he knew.

He'd just have to wait until someone responded.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…So, these here should be the outskirts.”

Icetales peered through the trees and foliage, looking for the fellow hero who had sent the help request.

“Hm, well, that fellow shouldn’t be hard to spot, yes. Besides, there is hardly any other soul here, so.”

Then, his ears flicked as he heard some nearby footsteps and what seemed to be someone sighing. Could they be who he was looking for?

Icetales narrowed his eyes, thoughtful. “…I should investigate about that. I cannot simply ignore someone in distress.”

He strode in the direction of the noises, until he spotted a Minccino pacing back and forth and in circles in the middle of the clearing. By what he could tell, the Minccino seemed distraught about something.

“Ah! I believe I’ve found him,” he said to himself, before walking calmly and elegantly toward the other Pokémon. He showed a friendly smile, wanting to give a good first impression. “Greetings there, sir. Thou are the good fellow who sent that telepathic message a while ago, yes?”

Last edited:

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
He turned to the new voice that was talking to him. "Yeah, that was me. You must be the new guy Diyem mentioned, right? I'm Cino."

He was tempted to ask where the Vulpix came from before coming here. He also sounded strange. Or just had an accent. But what did 'thou' mean? He had never heard that word before.

Would that leave a bad first impression on the Vulpix as well? Everytime Cino and Cynthian walked by, he would watch me closely and keep his flowers together.

Cino was too curious for his own good. "What was that you said? Thau?" Cino tilted his head, "What does that mean? I've never heard that."

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales blinked and tilted his head, taken aback by the question. Somebody didn’t know what ‘thou’ meant? Perhaps his world didn’t have aristocratic classes and lingos?

“Um, well, that’s… a mere inflection of mine, sir,” he responded politely. “‘Thou’ and ‘thee’ would be the equivalent of… huh… ‘you’.”

The Vulpix clicked his tongue. It felt so awkward to say ‘you’. And he didn’t even want to imagine what he would have thought about ‘thy’ and ‘thine’.

This… will not be easy, no…

He took a deep breath and smiled again, wagging his tails to show reassurance. “Well, no matter. My name is Icetales, sir. I come from an aristocratic environment, which… well, bled into my lingo, th-you see. Anyway, hm… how can I help the-you! How can I help you?”

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
'Sir'. Gosh, he was treated like all of the important 'mon of the rescue troop back home. Was Icetales also one of those important ones? Maybe the son of one of the leaders, or something akin to that for his world. Either way, he wanted not to sound like he was a wild that had just learned to communicate with the locals.

"Yeah, I kinda need help with the Radiance thing. You see, I tried a lot of different things, but none of them worked. I had one more idea in my head, but that required me to be in danger. But as you can see, not a single wild wants to approach me. Either they run away, or they look at me like I just killed their friend in cold blood-" Cino shut his mouth. Was that too much? He hoped not. "I had to try it out by myself, but got nowhere."

Did Icetales figure it out already? He hasn't even been part of the group for a day and already found out how it worked? Cino got a little jealous. Maybe he really needed to get attacked for it to work? "How did you figure it out so quickly?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Yeah, I kinda need help with the Radiance thing. You see, I tried a lot of different things, but none of them worked. I had one more idea in my head, but that required me to be in danger. But as you can see, not a single wild wants to approach me. Either they run away, or they look at me like I just killed their friend in cold blood-" Cino shut his mouth. Was that too much? He hoped not. "I had to try it out by myself, but got nowhere."

“Ah, wild. Yes, wild Pokémon are… tricky to figure out, indeed. Not all of them would wish to engage with civilized Pokémon.” He placed a paw on his mouth. “Or, well, this is how things are in my world, at least. I wouldn’t know how wild Pokémon behave here, but maybe they got intimidated by… something? Or they are hunting somewhere, or simply sleeping?”

He shrugged. “Cannot say, I’m afraid.”

"How did you figure it out so quickly?"

“Figure out? You gave thy—I mean, your own answer, Sir Cino. But even if you did not say such thing…” He motioned toward the other’s body. “There are no scratches on your body, and you don’t smell of adrenaline nor have any signs of being panicky or scared, like darting eyes or twitches. Ergo, you are in a fairly relaxed mood, despite your current issues handling the Radiance.”

He smiled and wagged his tails. “I am quite the receptive fellow, used to spotting all the minor details to know what I need to know about my guests. Getting a quick read is essential with my profession.”

He waved his paw to dismiss the topic. “But that is not relevant. So! Panic and sense of danger may be what is needed here, hm?”

Thoughts and ideas swirled in his mind, before a grin appeared on his muzzle. “I might have a plan. Sir Cino,” he motioned toward the Minccino’s tail, “cover your eyes with the tail. Make sure to not see anything.”

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Wait. Just… wait.”

Icetales took a few silent steps backwards, while his eyes were locked on the trees. They were brimming with unknown shelled fruits.

Perfect! They surely were going to make a lot of noise. And if a Minccino’s hearing was as sensitive as he heard…

He felt bad about doing that, but the alternative was… attacking him. Heavens, no! That’d be barbaric!

So, he looked for the farthest and ripest fruits — to make sure that they didn’t fall on the Minccino — and exhaled a chilly gust in their direction.

The ice began covering the fruits in a thick layer of frost, which weighed them down and made them twitch.

Almost there… just a bit more of ice… a tiny bit more… branches were bending… fruits were jiggling harder… and…

Crash! Crash! Crash!

Last edited:

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
He jumped at the sudden sounds right next to him. As they came crashing down, piercing sounds shot through Cino's ears and into his skull. He shot his eyes open and saw a frozen fruit splinter into thousand pieces. He managed to hold his ears against his head, but it helped next to nothing.

Unbeknownst to him, his body glowed slightly...

"My ears... arh... that was- extremely loud." He tried to calm down from the shock by breathing in deeply. After that, the glow vanished. "I thought you were trying to fake an attack or something, and not this."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales winced and bowed his head, while two of his tails went between his legs. He felt beyond regretful. Way to make a mess, Keo’Keo X!

“I-I-I humbly apologize about that, Sir Cino! I wanted to make sure that the reaction was genuine! I’m… no good actor, I’m afraid, and that was the safest and quickest approach to send a jolt through thy system!”

He looked up with saddened eyes and flattened ears, feeling desperate. “I swear, I just wanted to—”

And then, he blinked as he noticed the glow in Cino’s body — shining like a star, with the power of a burst. However, he became even more befuddled when the glow waned, just as quickly. Was that… Radiance?

“Sir Cino, thou… um, you!” He began wagging his tails, realization shining in his eyes. “That glow… You were glowing right now! Perhaps… we’re on the right track?”

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
"Huh? I was?" He looked over his body, but didn't find anything that looked like Radiance. "I don't see... did I really?"

He held a paw on his chin. "Hmm... but now that you mention it... I felt something warm just now. I thought it was just me being nervous. But if you said that I was glowing, then..."

Cino breathed in deeply again, having an idea. This had to work. There was no way this shouldn't.

He spread out his arms. "Attack me." He hoped.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“What? A-Attack…? Are… Are you sure?”

Now that was quite the odd request! Why did he want to be attacked, he wondered. Did the noises mess up with his reasoning? If they did, ouch! Unintended side effects!

However, he could see a sliver of… confidence in his eyes? He couldn’t say for sure, but if that was truly Radiance and it was the kind of unpredictable energy he had heard about…

…Heavens! What kind of sorcery was that?

“…If this is your desire, sir…” He took a deep breath of his own, before straightening up and spreading his tails. “Then… let us try! I swear on my honor, if something bad happens…” He nodded, looking determined. “I shall make sure thou’ll be brought to safety. I’d be willing to bet all my tails.”

And then, he closed his eyes. His tails began tingling, channeling a faint mist in-between them. Snowflakes swirled around, and a chilling energy filled his jaws.

“Here I come, Sir Cino!”

He let out a howl and a powdery gust rushed toward Cino, in a wave of frost and wind — Powder Snow!

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
As if it was in his instinct, he held out his hands in front of him, trying to block the incoming attack. His body started to glow ever so slightly, until it became much more appearant. It went over Cino's body like a protective shield that looked like it would deflect any and all attacks that would come his way.

The attack struck Cino, and...

He had felt nothing.

But he saw his arms and torso glowing a bit.

"Whoa...!" Cino touched his fur on his body, attempting to get a closer look at the Radiance he was releasing. "We did it!! Look at that! That's so cool! Woaah!" Even his tail glowed. And as quickly as it came, it dissipated again. "Aww... no... attack me again! I wanna see it again!"

It felt like the Radiance was lingering around in his body, hyping him up.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales stared incredulously at Cino, his jaws dropped and his tails stiff.

What… What just happened? There was a flicker, then a shield, then his attack bounced uselessly on the shield, and now Cino wanted to be attacked again. Just… why? Was he high or something?

Dark sorcery! Dark sorcery! Even if it’s crafted from light! What is this sorcery?!

“I am… delighted about your success and that you are in such an excellent mood, sir. That was a… well, most impressive display there, indeed,” he said slowly, before frowning in concern. “But, um… Are thou certain about such request? Whatever that power is, it must not be wielded carelessly. ‘With great powers come great risks’, the saying goes, and I do not desire to hurt thee with unnecessary attacks.”

He narrowed his eyes. “So, let me ask this — how are thou feeling? Is there something I must know before I eventually proceed? I have heard about that sorcery making ‘mons… explode or something like that, and I do not want to have said eventuality plague my conscience.”

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
How he was feeling? "I'm perfectly fine!" He was energetic. Filled to the brim with energy. "Come on, don't be shy, just attack me again! I can just block it with this Radiance. Don't worry about me!"

He stretched his arms out again. "Really, I'm fine. Just one more attack. What could go wrong?" Cino coughed. "Whoa, voice, please."

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales said nothing, an ear flicking nervously and tails twitching. So, Cino was adamant about that, wasn’t it? And what was that sudden shift in his voice?

The Vulpix shot a suspicious stare. “Hmph! When fellows say ‘What could go wrong?’ is precisely when things go awry, dear fellow.”

He paused, hoping that his new acquaintance heeded his warning. After a while, he sighed and shook his head, thinking that accepting that request was an insane idea.

Though, there was something positive about the situation: he hadn’t trained his body and aura yet, and that Minccino looked stronger and sturdier than him. At least, the risk of causing serious damage to that hyper fellow would be reduced to a minimum.

…Hopefully.

“…Very well. I shall grant the request, and attack once more,” he said, before holding up a paw. “But only once. I’ll refrain from attacking further to limit the risks of serious damage that could jeopardize thy health.”

He took a deep breath and nodded. “So, let us proceed. Stay on guard, Sir Cino.”

Another pulse of frigid energy rushed inside his tails, quickly followed by a chilly breeze aiming at the Minccino.

Last edited:

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
Yes, let me feel the energy flow through me once more...

Cino's body started glowing again, and blocked the attack. He was quick to look himself over, now with even more Radiance flowing through his veins and reaching every part of his body. This feeling of power... this power in him... it was great. It felt fantastic. He felt ecstatic. His body felt so warm...

"Yes... ah, this Radiance feels so wonderful, it feels like I could do anything with it!" His voice turned into reverbing laughs, wisps of light escaping his mouth as he exhaled. "This new power... I can shape it to my will, they said? Ooohohoho, this is just wonderful-"

He suddenly went into a coughing fit, spewing out alot of light out of his mouth. It looked like he was about to puke. Cino fell to the ground, still coughing. It was difficult for him to breath for a moment.

Then, with a sharp exhale, the rest of the wisps escaped his body, leaving him quiver on the ground, holding his belly. "Groohh... this is... awful..." He took a couple breaths, seeing the Vulpix in shock. "Icetales, uhg... don't worry... it doesn't hurt. It just feels strange... like needles prickling you, I guess...?"

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“Goodness gracious! Sir!”

Horror flashed in his eyes and he bolted forward. He stopped by the aching Minccino, looking all over in concern.

“Not worry? How can I not worry? Heavens! And needles prickling? Sounds an awful lot like paresthesia.” He grimaced. “M-My sister Keo’Keo V told me a lot about that, as a head nurse — it’s like thy nervous system is going berserk or something!” He paused as he mused over the situation and connected the dots. “…But of course! First, a jolt to activate thy nerves, then the sorcery did something like… um, mess up with thy rationale or something, and now the nerves are fried. It all stacks!”

Icetales pressed a paw on Cino’s head, checking his body temperature. “…At least thou aren’t feverish. That is already comforting. But I can see thou are spent…”

He took a glance around. They didn’t have emergency transportation in that world, did they? Nothing like Dragonite Ambulance or anything like that?

“Hmm…” He looked again at Cino. The Minccino looked so pitiful — Icetales needed to do something! “Well, then! Skedaddle we must!”

Without thinking twice, Icetales lowered his head and snatched the Minccino in his jaws, before carefully placing him on his back. He huffed as the Pokémon weighed him down, but he hoped to be able to reach town before collapsing from exhaustion.

“A-Alright. I shall… take thou somewhere safe…”

And then, he started trudging through the thick forest. He remembered the recommendations of his sister: make sure the damaged party stays awake.

“S-So, sir… What about talking… huff… about thyself?” He looked back, managing a thin smile. “How was thy life before… huff… arriving into this world?”

Last edited:

Torchic

Torchic Hugger
Pronouns
he
His body felt numb. Icetales was carrying him somewhere, probably to get help. His body felt cold to the touch, but that shouldn't be all that surprising. He was an Ice type, afterall.

The prickling was still there, but not as intense. He'd just had to endure the numbing feeling for a little while longer.

Icetales explanation of that made sense, somehow. The Radiance seemed to flow through everything in his body, including his nerves. They felt overloaded, alright!

“How was thy life before… huff… arriving into this world?”

"It... it was interesting." He spoke slowly, "I've left my home because I wanted to explore the continent. I think. While travelling, I met a Shinx and a Chikorita, where the Shinx claimed to be human. Their names were Xunie and Kori. And... ever since I've met them, it went from good to bad, and then to worse." He explained further that ill-looking Pokemon started rapidly appearing, leaking some sort of corrosive fluid. "The Shinx was immune to it, somehow. I have no idea where they came from or why they looked like they were being controlled by something. I don't... want to think about those.

"And how about you? You seemed to have a pretty interesting life before you came here."

The prickles started to fade. He didn't notice he was clenching his teeth when not talking until now.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales didn’t say anything, limiting himself to a nod and a smile once in a while.

It was reassuring that Cino was conscious and was talking coherently. At least he didn’t seem like he had any internal damage or anything like that, and he probably only needed some good rest. His heart wasn’t aching anymore at the thought of having hurt a good fellow.

So, Cino was an explorer… how intriguing! Icetales always wondered how it felt like exploring the world and looking for treasures and all of that. Sounded like an enriching life!

But… he knew that explorations were now banned in his world: too many fellows wishing for the ‘easy’ life, too many fellows looting dungeons and assaulting innocent Pokémon, too many hurt fellows ending up at the hospitals and overworking the medical staff… which ultimately led to a collapse in economy. Mystery Dungeons were a relic of the past, a threat that needed to be monitored but not explored.

And then, Cino talked about corrosive liquid… Yes, Icetales changed his mind already! The thought of facing some kind of daemon didn’t sit all too well with him.

“That is… quite the tale, Sir Cino. And thou met a… human-in-‘mon-guise, hm? Heard about them, but… in my world humans are extinct. The last human… who ‘visited’ our world, so to speak… appeared around five centuries ago.”

Surely Father knew more about that, but he didn’t want to consult him of all Pokémon.

"And how about you? You seemed to have a pretty interesting life before you came here."

Icetales chuckled. “To be quite fair… not so much. My life has never been what… I consider thrilling or anything like that…”

Well, talking while carrying someone wasn’t quite the easy feat! But their surroundings… the town wasn’t too far, he could tell. He had to endure a bit more.

“Thou see, I… was born among nobility. Refined lifestyle with servants listening to all our needs and… strict discipline and etiquette to follow…” He took a deep breath and steadied his body. “We are given… the necessary education and means to… obtain successful and important careers, like… um, minister or head of some place. And my sister Keo’Keo V, for example… she is the head of the royal hospital, a… place exclusive to only rich fellows and noblemons.”

He paused for a long time, feeling his ears flattening. “My nine older siblings… they all got great futures ahead of them… while I am left behind… as the head butler of another royal family. Thou might consider that… degrading…”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom