• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The Festival of Masks

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
As the bird commanded his followers to attack, Kohath stood there with arms crossed, not moving. While he might have technically been able to help by circling the battlefield and attacking the humans on the other side, that would still likely get him targeted by mon as they rushed to defend their trainers. It wasn't worth it, not that 'it' was anything to begin with. He had no stake in this fight. He was only here to see how it played out.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Most of his mighty warriors didn't look too certain of what to do, but one with a koffing commanded it to begin releasing poison gas, while a duo of rockruff pups started tossing stones at Scorch of their own accord. Fezandipiti leapt forward, aiming a Cross Poison at Thea, then turning to slap Grace with a Dual Wingbeat. He finished it all off with another Moonblast for good measure.
Scorch spiraled out of the way of the attacks, dodging them skillfully. The Rockruff didn't pose a detriment, but they were annoying. And distracting.

Marcel shouted a desperate warning as he saw the telltale sign of moonblast about to be unleashed, but it wasn't enough. Between avoiding the gas and rocks Scorch didn't have time. The bright flash sent her wheeling, and it took her a few second to recover, glaring daggers at the pokemon who'd interfered.

In a flash of motion and glinting steel, Scorch looped and dove at them with a furious cry.

"Scorch!" Marcel saw her movements, calling a warning. He'd KO them if he had to but he'd prefer to avoid making an enemy.

At the last moment before impacting the Rockruff with Steel Wing, she wheeled andopted for a ferocious cry as she skimmed above them before soaring back up again. 'Back off! Before you get hurt!'

"We're not the enemy!" Marcel shouted furiously, his temper spiking. "Think for yourselves for a second! What kind of loyal legendary goes on a witch hunt with no evidence!"

Meanwhile, she pulled her shirt up to cover her mouth and nose. "A-anyone have any ideas for dealing with this gas?" she called aloud, taking a few steps back away from the incoming toxic cloud. "Symphony can't heal the poison away if it just lingers in the air!"

The cloud of poison persisting presented a problem. Marcel covered his mouth as well and Loaf scrambled to steer clear, growling in distaste.

His hand drifted to his third pokeball. More pokemon meant more confusion and risk.
"Can you cast a Safeguard?" he called to the young woman and her Chimecho. He had a feeling more poison moves might get thrown around. But if she couldn't perhaps he'd have to call out Coda.

"Scorch, Tailwind!" Pausing and hovering above the battle, Scorch whipped her wings in a frenzy of movement, stirring up a stream of wind on their side of the field, hopefully enough to blow back the poison and give them all a boost.

"Dig! Flame Charge!"

Scorch and Loaf attacked as one, Loaf diving underground and Scorch turning into a streak of fire, both going straight for Fezandipiti.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
The ogre inclined their body in acknowledgement. It was impossible to tell their expression behind their mask, but their voice sounded wistful. Do what you must, they said. I wish you well.

They continued up the mountain alone.

Kieran was already quite a ways ahead, but he did turn at the sound of Jean's voice and wait for her to catch up. Poliwag chirped happily and trundled over to meet her.

Kieran seemed wary. "D-don't try to stop me!" he said. "I know it's dangerous, but... but I can be strong, too! I want to help!"

The sounds of battle drifted up from below--pokémon cries and the crash and burst of attacks echoed crazily around the stone columns; human voices intermingled. Clearly there were a lot of people fighting.

"So," Kieran asked, "are you going to help, too? O-or are you going to try and convince me not to go?"
Jean stared anxiously towards where the battle was going on. So others were fighting... and they seemed okay? Was it okay?

"I'm... I want to help, but I can't fight," she said, ears flattening. "I don't have any Pokémon. And I'm supposed to breathe fire but... it just hurts." She shook her head, fiddling with her mane. "Maybe I should just go back with the ogre."

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
"Hoo! Plenty more where that came from!" The elderly woman stands triumphant before turning to what she had expected. It was part of why she did not have Unami use Trick Room, in the formal sense anyway. But she was prepared for this turn of events.

"And I see our epic battle attracted attention." She gives a bow and speaks with an air of authority, albeit respectfully. "I am Satomi Kurusu, a priestess of the shrine of Celestic Town in Sinnoh. Apologies for the seemingly unseemly scene. I sensed a wicked aura at the festival, but I did not think it would be within Revered Okidogi. That should hopefully return him to normal. As normal as can be for him, anyway." She flashes a wink.

It was all true, some of it in a sense. Still, there was something troubling her. Priestess Satomi was now convinced the power that revived these three was a darker one, and not some miracle by, say, Mighty Ho-Oh. She gives her fallen foe a close look, not so much looking at him as within him. Her eyes are drawn to that toxic chain. She can tell there is some sort of implacable power coming from it. Meanwhile, Unami remains on guard. Mostly ready to shoo away (if not force away with Psychic) any who approach under the premise of it being dangerous.

"As a diviner familiar with Legendaries and their workings, I can say that it is likely that a malevolent force has revived them for its own purposes. It is the most likely reason behind that unnatural strength he exhibited." It's just an educated guess on her behalf, although she cannot say who or what. "He may still be dangerous, so I request you stay back until I can verify the threat has passed. Don't worry, I'll ensure Revered Okidogi is kept safe. But I fear the other two may be under a similar thrall." She turns to Evie as she sits down cross-legged and holds out her arms, as if ready to do something. "Thanks for the help. Feel I can handle things here. Think you can help that girl find her grandpa?"

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
@FauxFox @Seren @canisaries @Flyg0n @Sinderella

The rockruff yelped and pressed themselves to the ground as Scorch whipped past overhead. They milled around, yapping uncertainly, when they received no further commands. Their trainer appeared to be in deep conversation with another; apparently the entreaties from Kari, Theo, and Marcel were having some effect.

Meanwhile, the Tailwind rapidly dispersed the poison gas, while Grace's Life Dew soothed cuts nd scrapes. Fezandipiti's attacks were powerful, but with multiple trainers working together, the tide was swiftly turning back in their favor. Scorch and Loaf were the first to make direct attacks, racing forward together to catch Fezandipiti with simultaneous bursts of fiery and earthy power.

The legend tripped over Loaf, who'd appeared like magic just under his feet, and was then in easy reach of Theo's claws. The zorua's Knock Off scored a long gash down Fezandipiti's side, and just when it seemed like Fezandipiti had weathered everything without going down, Symphony popped out from behind Thea and knocked him back with a twisting burst of psychic power.

Enough! the legend screeched, forcing himself upright and throwing his wings wide. He beat them furiously, kicking up a massive Hurricane that lashed the whole arena, slamming pokémon into each other and filling the air with hazardous debris. He followed up by hurling Sludge Bombs willy-nilly at his opponents, and finally aimed a Poison Jab specifically at Loaf.

Now... Fezandipiti turned to the gang of humans ringing the battlefield. Surely he could hear the muttering among them, and aside from that first, small assault, they hadn't exactly been rushing in to the legend's aid. Perhaps they were having their own suspicions about whether the Loyal Three were everything the legends made them out to be.

Fezandipiti didn't exactly look regal in that moment, his feathers hanging ragged and scorched and his expression crazed. But he was clearly powerful nonetheless, and no doubt an intimidating sight, with his bloodied claws and beak, when the trainers might be separated from him by nothing but a rockruff. I expected better of you, the legend said. You owe me a debt, do you not? For defending your ancestors? And this is how you would repay me?

He tossed his head violently, then swept an evil glare across the group. I'm afraid that if you do not show me the same loyalty I've shown your families, then I will be forced to treat you as enemies. Now, take heart and fight on!

It was enough to get at least a couple of the assembled trainers moving. The koffing's trainer called for it to begin spewing sludge onto the battlefield, and . The other trainers looked between one another uneasily--surely something was wrong here--and the rockruff huddled together, looking too terrified to fight on. Fezandipiti stared at those trainers who hadn't cast their lot in with him, his gaze lingering on Kohath in particular. He raised his curved talons threateningly. Well? What will it be?

Meanwhile, across the battlefield, the golden leaf Ogerpon had given Theo began to glow as Fezandipiti's noxious fumes gathered around him. First gold, then shading to a rich green-blue, the light grew in power and intensity until it burst into a glittering sheet of energy, taking the shape of Ogerpon's grinning green mask. New energy would shoot through the zorua's body, as well as knowledge of how to wield it in the way of a certain terrifying ogre...

> Theo's Shiny Leaf allows him to Terastalize! He can now use Ogerpon's Ivy Cudgel!

Fezandipiti's aura is wavering!

@Dragonfree

Kieran tilted his head briefly at the mention of breathing fire, but he didn't follow up on it. "You can battle with Poliwag, if you want," he said. The water-type rocked forward on his toes and chirped, waving his tail excitedly. "It's confusing to fight with more than two pokémon at once, anyway. B-but you don't have to fight if you don't want to. You can come along and watch... o-or go back to the ogre if you want. Or anywhere else. It doesn't matter."

Kieran turned to look in the direction of the battle, clenching one hand into a fist. "Whatever you want to do, just... just don't try to get in my way!"

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
Evie didn't have the energy to spare a one-liner, instead opting to take a couple breathers. She hadn't expended that much energy in a long while.  Wooh!  That was fun!

Not even bothering to smother the grin on her face, a light glow shone over her body, straightening her messy mane and smoothing her roughed-up fur. She nodded along with Satomi's words, it seemed like she was doing fine in placating the audience's worries. Though perhaps a few words here and there wouldn't hurt. "She is correct. I'm an empath and a traveller of worlds and I will say that the sheer animosity and malice I've felt from Okidogi was on a whole another level. It's rare enough for me to find someone that could replicate something of that scale."

When addressed by Satomi herself, Evie couldn't stop the concerned look from showing but she didn't say much. If she was sure she could handle them, then who was she to judge? She glanced over to Carmine, it was hard to gauge her emotions from this far but Evie was hopeful she wouldn't do anything too rash.

"I'll try," Evie replied and made her way over.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
Meanwhile, across the battlefield, the golden leaf Ogerpon had given Theo began to glow as Fezandipiti's noxious fumes gathered around him. First gold, then shading to a rich green-blue, the light grew in power and intensity until it burst into a glittering sheet of energy, taking the shape of Ogerpon's grinning green mask. New energy would shoot through the zorua's body, as well as knowledge of how to wield it in the way of a certain terrifying ogre...

> Theo's Shiny Leaf allows him to Terastalize! He can now use Ogerpon's Ivy Cudgel!
Theo's focus shifted from the battle to the leaf as it began glowing. "Wh-what's happening? That isn't normal, right?" He asked, almost panicked.

Theo's panic turned to awe as he watched the leaf reshape itself into a mask, shuddering as he felt the energy flow through him, only one plan, one action in his mind. Something he had never seen, much less done, yet something he suddenly knew how to do. Something he knew he had to do.
Terastalization.

I expected better of you, the legend said. You owe me a debt, do you not? For defending your ancestors? And this is how you would repay me?

He tossed his head violently, then swept an evil glare across the group. I'm afraid that if you do not show me the same loyalty I've shown your families, then I will be forced to treat you as enemies. Now, take heart and fight on!
Theo looked at the trainers. "Don't listen to a word Fezandipiti says. He does nothing but deceive. Based on what I've seen, he's been playing you all since he showed up, using you as pawns in his scheme for revenge. If he was truly as loyal as you all have been led to believe, then he would not demand repayment, would he?"

Taking a deep breath, Theo put the mask on. He felt the green crystals spread across his body, changing him. Before, he had been masking himself behind illusions, but now, even if only temporarily, everyone could see right through him.

"Now then, how about we even the odds?" Theo asked confidently, feeling the power surge through him as he finished Terastalizing.

Theo charged towards Fezandipiti, his illusions taking the form of a weapon as he prepared to attack with Ivy Cudgel.

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Fezandipiti stared at those trainers who hadn't cast their lot in with him, his gaze lingering on Kohath in particular. He raised his curved talons threateningly. Well? What will it be?

Kohath glared back. The bird was starting to annoy him. "What would you have me do? Fistfight beasts wielding powers of fire and earth? I owe you no debt, and... I am starting to doubt if anyone here does." He raised his voice and glanced around at the others. "Are you going to let this bird tell you what to do? I can see you are losing faith. Do not cling to it simply out of cowardice. Make your own decisions."

Of course, to him it didn't matter if 'justice' was served or not. He simply saw that the other side stood a good chance of winning, and it was the side that wasn't threatening him. Things would turn out better for him if the bird did not win.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Enough! the legend screeched, forcing himself upright and throwing his wings wide. He beat them furiously, kicking up a massive Hurricane that lashed the whole arena, slamming pokémon into each other and filling the air with hazardous debris. He followed up by hurling Sludge Bombs willy-nilly at his opponents, and finally aimed a Poison Jab specifically at Loaf.
Scorch shrieked as the wind tossed her about. It sent Loaf skidding backward, almost carrying him off his paws.

Marcel squinted, shielding himself from the stiff winds with one arm. Poison splashed across the field, one blob grazing Scorch's wing and sending her careening. Loaf scrambled frantically side to side as Marcel called out warnings. Then he spotted Fezandipiti charging an attack. He cried out a warning, too far away to do anything.

Unfortunately Loaf acted too late. The Poison Jab attack stabbed into his side and sent him tumbling across the field. Marcel gritted his teeth and rushed to the Dachsbun's side. "Loaf are you okay?"

The fairy type growled and rose to his feet, eyes still sparking with determination. A sickly purple sheen had taken hold around the wound.

Marcel quickly released Coda. The Chimecho wasted no time healing Loaf up, then Marcel returned her for now. Best to save her strength if their would be more injuries.

Finally he turned his attention back to the fight as Loaf charged back into the battlefield. Scorch landed beside Loaf, gathering her strength.

"Don't give in!" Marcel called to the koffing's trainer. "Protect your pokemon and stay out of this! No genuine protector would turn against you."

He quickly turned his attention back to his pokemon. "Loaf, distract it, Scorch, Steel Wing!"

With matching battle cries, Loaf and Scorch charged into battle. Loaf immediately burrowed again with dig, straight for Fezandipiti before popping out, then diving back in again, trying to draw his attention. Overhead, Scorch put on a burst of speed and dove down at him with shining wings.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Kieran tilted his head briefly at the mention of breathing fire, but he didn't follow up on it. "You can battle with Poliwag, if you want," he said. The water-type rocked forward on his toes and chirped, waving his tail excitedly. "It's confusing to fight with more than two pokémon at once, anyway. B-but you don't have to fight if you don't want to. You can come along and watch... o-or go back to the ogre if you want. Or anywhere else. It doesn't matter."

Kieran turned to look in the direction of the battle, clenching one hand into a fist. "Whatever you want to do, just... just don't try to get in my way!"
Jean fiddled with her mane for another anxious moment but then swallowed, nodding. Everyone was fighting, doing their best. Surely she could too? And she'd be really, really careful. Stay back.

She straightened her back, trying to smile at Poliwag. "Okay, use... use Water Gun!"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
@FauxFox @canisaries @Flyg0n @Dragonfree @Seren @Sinderella

Oh, you'd speak of cowardice? Fezandipiti sneered at Kohath. When you're too fearful to face down these pathetic excuses for pokémon? Perhaps I should make your options more clear: fight these interlopers, or fight me instead. He lobbed a gobbet of sludge straight at Kohath. That goes for the rest of you, too! Fezandipiti cried, sweeping his gaze across his ostensible allies.

But Fezandipiti didn't have much time to expound. Theo bounded up behind him, blazing with Tera Energy, and cracked the legend over the back of the head with his new Ivy Cudgel. Fezandipit staggered, dazed in the midst of a cascade of Tera Energy. He'd clearly felt that blow, moreso than any launched his way thus far. He shook himself, perhaps less vigorously than he would have at the beginning of the fight, and turned an evil look on Theo in his green and glowing form. Oh, you certainly know where the ogre is, he growled. You certainly do! He slashed at Theo with one Aerial Ace after another, renewed fury in his eyes.

Scorch swooped in to the rescue, swatting Fezandipiti with Steel Wing attacks until he gave up attacking Theo and turned his attention to the talonflame instead. And when the legend began spraying poison at Scorch, Loaf burst out of the ground, tangling in the legend's legs and threatening him to topple him again. When Fezandipiti tried to attack Loaf, Scorch redoubled her efforts, and when Fezandipiti turned his attention skyward, Loaf was there again, popping in and out of holes in the ground while Fezandipiti clawed fruitlessly at him.

Meanwhile, even those members of the watching trainers who'd done their best to help Fezandipiti before called off their pokémon. From everything they'd seen and heard, it no longer appeared to them that the loyal legend was really on their side. The koffing trainer was even bold enough to turn their pokémon against Fezandipiti now, though it wasn't clear whether he even noticed the koffing's attacks, preoccupied as he was by Marcel's pokémon.

Not too far away, a relieved smile passed across Kieran's face. "Y-you want to battle, too? Wowzers!" For a moment he hesitated, but then he turned back to the battle, a look of longing on his face. "U-umm, come on, then! Let's go!" His pokémon cheered and started forward ahead of him, Poliwag hanging back closer to Jean. The battle came into view shortly--Fezandipiti was stomping on a dachsbun while a talonflame fluttered around his head. He didn't notice Kieran charging in--not until Sentret and Yanma dove into the fight, blurring out in twin Quick Attacks before Sentret broke off with his own Dig and Yanma pelted the legend with Sonic Booms.

Fezandipiti didn't look more than annoyed by the attacks, and his retaliatory gusts of wind were punishing. Sentret soldiered on, though, and Yanma proved adept at dodging Fezandipiti's attacks.

Poliwag leapt forward eagerly at Jean's command. He took a deep, deep breath, inflating to almost twice his usual size, then spat a thin jet of water at Fezandipiti. It soaked a small patch of feathers on the legend's side.

That was the last straw.

Fezandipiti rounded on Jean and Poliwag, one eye bloody and squinted, the other wild and glaring. Enough! he roared. Enough of this! You're worthless, the lot of you! This is what loyalty means to you? This is how you think to repay me? Black flames flickered out from the bird's feathers, the air around him turning dark and charged with power. You truly think you can challenge me? ME?! You fools! I'll show you the true power of a legend!

The Hearthflame Mask glowed a blazing red, tinging the dark aura gathering around Fezandipiti bloody. Drawing power from the mask and his own poisonous nature, Fezandipiti was soon cloaked in dark, caustic flames, which crept out to engulf the battlefield. Given the overwhelming force behind whatever Fezandipiti was preparing, it surely wouldn't be easy to defend against--but after he released it, there would surely be an opportunity to strike.

> Fezandipiti's aura blazes out of control! It's time to make a final stand!

@System Error @ShiniGojira

Satomi's pronouncement resulted in a lot of uncomfortable shifting in the festivalgoers who'd come to see what all the commotion was about. Malevolent force? It was true, something felt a bit off about the revived legendaries. They didn't seem quite the way the stories had presented them. But could they really trust this woman, or her strange companion? They weren't from Kitakami--could they have nefarious reasons for wanting the local legends brought low?

A couple of the stantler riders sidled closer to each other and fell into a brief, whispered conversation. A decision was swiftly reached. One rider wheeled and galloped back towards the main festival. "My colleague Hayata will bring someone with more authorities to speak to this matter," said the other, who remained resolutely in place. "Now... what happened here? What was the cause of this battle?"

Carmen still appeared stunned by the events of the battle. She hung back with her mightyena, still bristling and clearly ready to attack anyone who came close. It was hard to tell, given her mask, but her gaze appeared fixed on the fallen Okidogi. She rubbed at her arms as if cold.

canisaries

Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Oh, you'd speak of cowardice? Fezandipiti sneered at Kohath. When you're too fearful to face down these pathetic excuses for pokémon? Perhaps I should make your options more clear: fight these interlopers, or fight me instead. He lobbed a gobbet of sludge straight at Kohath. That goes for the rest of you, too! Fezandipiti cried, sweeping his gaze across his ostensible allies.

Kohath's eyes widened, and he dodged to the side to narrowly avoid the poisonous sludge. So he actually expects me to fight beasts on my own, Kohath thought. I am not doing that. But fighting him does not seem any better. I have to make sure that he will not get that opportunity.

"This is your guardian?" he shouted to the other trainers. "One that would threaten you? It seems to me that this is not the hero of the story I heard. Either the story lies... or this is an impostor."

Hopefully the rest of the trainers would turn on the bird. If that didn't happen and the bird fought off his current opponents, he would have to retreat, which didn't have a great chance of working against a flying beast.

FauxFox

Wandering Fool
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. zorua
Fezandipit staggered, dazed in the midst of a cascade of Tera Energy. He'd clearly felt that blow, moreso than any launched his way thus far.
Theo grinned. "Now this is something I could get used to."
He shook himself, perhaps less vigorously than he would have at the beginning of the fight, and turned an evil look on Theo in his green and glowing form. Oh, you certainly know where the ogre is, he growled. You certainly do!
"Ogerpon is my friend. Even if I did know where she was right now, I wouldn't tell you if my life depended on it." He chuckled, noticing Fezandipiti's declining energy. "Though with how you're looking now, the rest of this battle should be a breeze."
He slashed at Theo with one Aerial Ace after another, renewed fury in his eyes.
These attacks took Theo by surprise, and while he only took one or two of the hits head-on, all of the attacks still made some form of contact. Theo couldn't find a chance to retaliate, bracing himself for each of the fast and accurate attacks.
I just had to open my mouth. Theo tried to use Ivy Cudgel in order to block some of the attacks, though not to much success. Is it just me, or does this move hurt more than before? It's like my type... changed? No time to dwell on that now.

Scorch swooped in to the rescue, swatting Fezandipiti with Steel Wing attacks until he gave up attacking Theo and turned his attention to the talonflame instead.
"Th-thanks, Marcel." Theo coughed, taking a chance to breathe now that Fezandipiti's anger and attacks were directed elsewhere. "I don't know how much m-more of that I could've taken, I owe you one."

The Hearthflame Mask glowed a blazing red, tinging the dark aura gathering around Fezandipiti bloody.
Given the overwhelming force behind whatever Fezandipiti was preparing, it surely wouldn't be easy to defend against--but after he released it, there would surely be an opportunity to strike.
Looks like something big is coming, and I don't know how much more I can take, but I doubt I can avoid whatever is coming up. So I'll just try to give everyone else a chance. Theo forced himself back to his feet. "I guess it's time to go all in."
Theo bounded towards Fezandipiti. "Hey feather-brain, think fast!" Theo shouted, swinging his Ivy Cudgel at Fezandipiti. He wasn't trying to knock Fezandipiti down, but instead attempting to draw his attention.
"Eyes on me! Or should I just say eye?" Theo taunted, jumping back. Just take his attention and run, that's all I need to do. Hit, run, repeat. Make an opening, and hope someone uses it. I need to just keep his focus on me. Theo darted around, trying his best to stay out in the open, but away from the trainers. I'll get hit, but that's okay. As long as anyone is left standing, we have a chance.

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
Symphony's safeguards had definitely helped in slowing the spread of poison from Fezandipiti's attacks, making it far easier for Grace to keep up with patching everyone's injuries. The talonflame had blown away the poison cloud, the little fox... did something and now looked all shiny and sparkly, something Fezandipiti connected with the ogre... and eventually, the legend made a fatal mistake.

A glob of poison was launched directly at one of the men arguing against the bird, and though neither of her pokemon would make it there in time to block, he managed to avoid taking the hit. And then his words proved to be the most effective counter they'd had so far! After all, what hero would attack those he'd been believed to protect? Those words seemed to be what they needed to hear; most of them withdrew, and some of them even turned against the bird themselves!

As several new pokemon joined the fight, a few came in from the opposite direction. Kari turned her head to see Kieran racing back down the mountain, sending his own partners into battle in the process. She smiled behind her mask, relieved that he and the girl with him were unharmed.

Fezandipiti wasn't backing down though; in fact, he was preparing some kind of powerful move! Fire, fire... dark, poisonous fire...? They weren't likely to be able to block it...

The little fox fearlessly continued their assault, though. Ugh, if only she'd taught more of her party how to protect...

"Back him up!" she called out to her team, pointing Symphony and Grace in Theo's direction. "Symphony, blanket safeguard!" It wasn't a powerful protect barrier, and spreading it so thin would only make it easier to shatter, but she wanted to cover as many of the gathered as possible. Her chimecho appeared in relatively good condition so far, all things considered (letting others shield her helped with that), and soon the area was bathed in a pale green glow.

Grace, meanwhile, was flagging hard, barely able to stay floating with the deadly poison attacks flung her way and how much energy she'd been expending to keep the party healthy. Still, the togetic recognized the danger, and sent yet another soothing wave of water over the group.

They just had to hold on a little bit longer... and hopefully, with the added support of Kieran and Fezandipiti's former army, they'd all make it out of this relatively unharmed.

Partners
  1. suikaibuki
While they are conversing, Priestess Satomi finishes what she was preparing. There were seals to ward against evil and keep them out, such as in the Lavender Pokemon Tower, but it could just as well work the other way. The humans here wouldn't see it, but the Pokemon would see a ring of radiant light surround the fallen Okidogi. It would keep him contained until they could decide an appropriate course of action. Or if an hour passed.

"Well, where to begin?" she says, addressing the remaining man. "This is something of a dicey situation. I suppose, barring the distant past, this started when I went to the Loyalty Plaza to leave a little offering to the local deities. One must always respect the culture regardless of your thoughts, after all. And of course, we respect all Pokemon. Anyway, upon my arrival is when I noticed something astonishing!" She talks and gestures as if she's putting on a performance on stage. "The shrine was in ruins! Two things stood out in my investigation. First, three sets of footprints were leading away which matched what I knew about the Loyal Three. Second, there was a residual strange energy I could not place. There was little I could do there, so I followed the tracks to the festival here. I spotted Revered Fezandipiti in a tree on the outskirts. We had a pleasant chat about cut short by him having to make his grand entrance."

She pauses and smiles. "Well, I was interested in seeing what they would do with their new lease on life. Gave him my thoughts on it. But I intuited their plan was still going to be revenge likely followed by trying to lord over you fine folks. It was what led me to think it was not a miracle, but malevolence that revived them. I never was a believer in waiting to react, so I tended to some things at the festival while sending out Unami here with a plan of my own." She smiles as she pats the bronze bell. "If they could isolate and defeat one, I could throw their plans into disarray. If not, they could cause a diversion by stealing the Cornerstone Mask. They found Revered Okidogi interrupting a game of Ogre Oustin', and he didn't deny the other version of events when I confronted him with my knowledge of it - in fact, he said it was nice to reminisce about the old days! He eagerly accepted my challenge. What I wasn't expecting was for him to grow larger and exhibit unnatural power, even for a Legendary. I knew from how wicked the aura was that I had made the correct decision." She taps her chin. "I suspect that whoever or whatever bestowed him that strength is also responsible for his revival. Possibly even..." She trails off and looks toward the mountain for a few seconds. Even the true version of the tale hadn't spoken of a mastermind. Priestess Satomi was almost certain there was one who granted the Loyal Three their strength. But it was still only speculation at this point.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it!" she concludes. "If you need any further details, just ask."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Fezandipiti didn't look more than annoyed by the attacks, and his retaliatory gusts of wind were punishing. Sentret soldiered on, though, and Yanma proved adept at dodging Fezandipiti's attacks.

Poliwag leapt forward eagerly at Jean's command. He took a deep, deep breath, inflating to almost twice his usual size, then spat a thin jet of water at Fezandipiti. It soaked a small patch of feathers on the legend's side.

That was the last straw.

Fezandipiti rounded on Jean and Poliwag, one eye bloody and squinted, the other wild and glaring. Enough! he roared. Enough of this! You're worthless, the lot of you! This is what loyalty means to you? This is how you think to repay me? Black flames flickered out from the bird's feathers, the air around him turning dark and charged with power. You truly think you can challenge me? ME?! You fools! I'll show you the true power of a legend!

The Hearthflame Mask glowed a blazing red, tinging the dark aura gathering around Fezandipiti bloody. Drawing power from the mask and his own poisonous nature, Fezandipiti was soon cloaked in dark, caustic flames, which crept out to engulf the battlefield. Given the overwhelming force behind whatever Fezandipiti was preparing, it surely wouldn't be easy to defend against--but after he released it, there would surely be an opportunity to strike.
Poliwag's attack was... well, it was a little underwhelming, after all the anxiety over jumping into the fray. She'd imagined the attacks she'd seen on TV, a huge jet of water blasting Fezandipiti away. But it didn't blast him anywhere.

Instead, it brought him bearing down on them, the huge bird glaring directly at her through the blazing mask, and she froze, a jolt of raw panic shooting through her and rooting her to the spot. She frantically looked around as sinister, bubbling flames sprouted all around; no escape, no running away.

"Kieraaaan!" she yelled, wringing her hands. "Poliwag, do..." Her lungs felt hot, suffocating. "I don't know, I'm not a trainer!"

The heat in her lungs consolidated, burned, wanted to get out, and she couldn't stop it. She braced for the pain of flames pouring out of her mouth, for numb and flaking gums for weeks afterwards.

Instead, what came out of her mouth was a growl that turned into a roar.

[[That's Roar the move, which interestingly was on her character notes for the fic even though I never had her use it]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Between Theo and his own pokemon, Marcel was relieved to see that their efforts seemed to be chipping away at Fezandipiti. If they could keep up the assault-

Marcel gritted his teeth. Great. "Get back!" he called to his team, hurriedly moving even further away.

With a final retaliatory bite at Fezandipiti, Loaf vanished underground again. A moment later he remerged, frantically digging a makeshift trench to try and slow the flames before reemerging near Marcel. He was panting hard from the effort, his body shimmering from the heat. Above, Scorch wheeled away to put distance between her and the legendary. He glanced towards the girl with the Chimecho, giving a nod of appreciation as he pulled his shirt over his mouth, backing away further from the murky flames.

Then the ball at his side opened and Coda emerged. She chimed, an insistent tone, and floated forwards. Marcel nodded in understanding. As long as everyone else was fighting, she wanted to help as well.

Floating closer to the other Chimecho, Coda sent out a second pulse of energy that formed a protecive Light Screen around the fighters. Then Coda gathered her energy and sent a pulse at Theo, to heal his wounds. Whatever he was planning, she got the sense the little Zorua would need it.

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
Evie halted in her steps as the Mightyena growled at her approach. For a second, she thought of staring it down, wanting to, daring it to try something but stopped herself with a shake of her head.

Clearing her throat, she glanced at Carmine with a stoic look and said, "I do not regret what I've done to your revered Legend but I do want to apologize for my actions against you during our battle." She paused for a moment to gauge her reaction before continuing. "I get a bit... carried away when faced with a formidable foe but it is not an excuse for what I've done so I am sorry for letting it escalate." She bowed, head hung low.

"But you must know," she said, getting up from her propped position. "What Satomi says... I know you don't fully trust her and I only did so because" – She wanted to fight a legend – "I've felt their aura and I'm sure you must've felt it emitting from that fiend during our battle. No benevolent being would be able to emit something that wicked." She shook her head. "If it's fine with you, perhaps we could ask your grandfather's side of the story? Satomi did say he had a history with them."

Top Bottom