• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Testimony

1:36 PM
Pronouns
she/her
Testimony

Summary: As two humans-turned-Pokémon travel through Murky Cave, there's much to talk about. Gengar in particular has a lot on his mind, and as the day goes on, he begins to voice things that have been left unsaid for years. This is his side of the conversation. (A set of very brief chapters consisting solely of dialogue from Gengar.)

Warnings: Discussion of death later on (Gengar is a ghost, and Gardevoir is a spirit), but it's not graphic and it happened years ago; the word "crap" is used a few times

…My name?

Don’t give me that crap. You already know my name. I’m Gengar. G-E-N-G-A-R, got it?

Sure, I was called something else back when I was a human, but that’s all over now. I’ve been Gengar for years. And you heard what Ninetales said, didn’t you? Come on, I know you’re not deaf. I can’t go back to the way I was. I can’t become a human again. I don’t have the choice that they gave you. After all, I’m already dead.

I don’t get it. You could’ve gone back to the human world, and yet you stayed in this one. Don’t you have family in the human world? Friends? People waiting for you, people who’d be sad if you never came back? Do you really like being a Delcatty so much that you’d just up and abandon them?

If I had a chance to go back, I’d take it. I wouldn’t even hesitate, because unlike you, I think things through.

…I’m sick of being a ghost.

Whatever. It’s not that bad. I can float, I can walk through walls, I can even hide in your shadow. How’d you think I followed you up to Xatu?
Don’t believe me? Watch!

Ta-da! Cool, right?

Right?

Oh, forget it. You’re just jealous, because you’re a boring ol’ normal-type.

Let’s keep moving. I want to be out of this cave before the sun goes down.

2:41 PM
Pronouns
she/her
…Adam.

That’s my name. Well, it was my name. Nobody’s called me that in a long time. In fact, I don’t think I’ve even heard anyone say the name Adam in all the years I’ve been in this stupid world. Adam’s not a Pokémon name, after all. It’s kinda weird to say it now. Like, it feels unfamiliar rolling off my tongue.

You know what? You can call me Adam if you like. Just not in public.

This doesn’t make us friends or anything, okay? It’s just because we’re both humans. Nobody else is allowed to call me anything but Gengar, unless they knew me as a human.

Gardevoir… She can call me Adam whenever she wants, if we even manage to…

Don’t look at me like that. It doesn’t matter. This whole “rescue mission” or whatever you want to call it is just a whim. I don’t have anything better to do.

That’s your fault, you know. Ever since you came back from your exile and accused me of slander, nobody in town has wanted anything to do with me. They just glare at me or look past me like I’m not even there. And the team broke up, so —

My fault? As if! Look, I don’t care if you were sent to this world to save it. You must’ve done something really terrible for them to send you here. Saving the world was probably the least you could do to redeem yourself.

Good people don’t wind up here. Period.

Anyway, where was I before you decided to butt in?

That’s right. The team broke up, and judging by the look on your face, you had no idea, because you never have a clue. Really, it was Medicham and Arbok who broke up. They weren’t doing so well after the whole Wish Cave incident. Medicham resented Arbok for escaping without her, and she managed to hold it in for a while, but it started to leak through eventually. She started making all these passive-aggressive remarks. Arbok ignored them at first, but before long, he snapped and started calling Medicham out for all the crap she’d gotten away with. They started getting into these screaming matches, and it honestly sucked to be around them. They always asked me to pick a side, but I didn’t. I couldn’t. Don’t let either of them fool you: they’re both equally bad.

So, uh, yeah. The team broke up, and Arbok left town. I think he went off to the Grass Continent, actually. To be honest, I’m planning to leave town as well, once we finish up here.

Yeah, I’ll leave right away. I can move faster at night, and I don’t have much to pack. I think I’ll move to Baram Town. It seems…okay.

Ugh, why am I even telling you all this? Just shut up and walk.

3:59 PM
Pronouns
she/her
Ninetales can call me Adam, I guess. I mean, she doesn’t really want or need my permission.

Stop looking at me like that.

Okay, yeah, I should’ve asked permission before pulling her tails. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. But you weren’t there. You don’t get it.

I was a human, she was a Pokémon. You know how it is in the human world. Humans can’t just have full conversations with Pokémon.

Yeah, we were both in the human world at that point. Did you just realize that now? How stupid can you be?

Basically, Ninetales can travel between the two worlds at will. In this world, she’s a Kantonian Ninetales, and she lives on Mt. Freeze, but in the human world, she’s an Alolan Ninetales, and she lives on Mt. Lanakila. She changes forms the moment she switches worlds.

Yes, I’m from Alola. And you’re from Hoenn, right?

I haven’t really been able to talk about the human world in years. I always have to pretend like I know nothing about it. I guess we could talk about it. If you really want to, I mean. We’re not friends or anything — I don’t even like you — but if you insist

My hometown is Malie. You’ve heard about it, right? It’s full of immigrants from Johto, so the architecture has an Eastern bent. It’s kinda like Ecruteak, but more of a tourist trap. Seriously, Alola’s been one big tourist trap for decades. People come, visit the beaches, eat malasadas, wear leis, go to luaus, and bask in what they call traditional Alolan culture — really just a commercialized version of stuff we did maybe a few centuries ago. And then they leave, having learned absolutely nothing. My dad would always rant about the damage they were doing to the environment, the economy, but I didn’t really understand what he was saying. Maybe I’d have understood if I had ever gone to another region, but I died before anything like that could happen.

Oh, you did not just ask me how I died. Don’t you realize how personal that is? How rude it is to just ask out of nowhere? You clearly know nothing about ghost culture.

All this talking is slowing us down. We have to keep going.

4:23 PM
Pronouns
she/her
Were you a trainer? I was a trainer, of course. I mean, in Alola, you can’t get a license until you’re at least ten, but it’s perfectly legal to be given a Pokémon by someone else before then, or to battle casually. You just can’t buy balls, take the island challenge, or battle for money.

Is Hoenn like that too? I mean, you don’t have an island challenge, but you have the gym leaders, right?

Yeah, that makes sense.

I was a prodigy, you know. I was incredible. I mean, I was just okay at academics and athletics and stuff, but in terms of battling, I was the best in my whole school — and it wasn’t exactly a small school, either.

What are you giving me that look for? Do you seriously not believe me?

Look, just because I was good at training Pokémon and coming up with battle strategies on the fly, that doesn’t automatically make me good at actually fighting as a Pokémon. It’s a lot harder to think up strategies while you’re getting pounded. That’s why trainers and Pokémon work so well together. The trainer thinks, the Pokémon fights. It’s a partnership. But I guess you already knew that.

What sort of Pokémon did you use?

Don’t you think they miss you? To them, it’s like you were there one day, and then you just…

…abandoned them.

I had Gardevoir for almost six years. I first got her when I was maybe four-and-a-half, and she was just an egg. One of my neighbors, a grumpy old man, was a breeder. Not an officially recognized breeder; he was one of those backyard breeders trying to make a quick buck. He had a Gardevoir and a Gallade, and so he always had a steady stream of Ralts eggs to sell. The eggs were usually overpriced, but one fateful day, he gave me a discount on a certain egg. It wasn’t out of the goodness of his heart, or because he liked me — he just thought the egg wouldn’t hatch, since it was a bit cracked. Even then, I had to give him all of the allowance I’d been saving. He probably thought I was just a gullible kid, but I knew what was going on. I also knew that he was wrong about the egg. From the moment I first held it, I could feel that something was alive inside.

I don’t really know how to describe it. I just knew that the egg would hatch, and that I needed to have it. Perhaps Gardevoir was already calling out to me, even then…

My dad didn’t think the egg would hatch. He wanted to go make the neighbor give me a full refund, but I convinced him to wait two weeks, and eight days later, the egg hatched. You ever heard the phrase eating Murkrow? It’s about having to swallow your pride and admit that you were wrong. Suffice to say both my dad and my neighbor ate Murkrow that day.

From the moment the egg hatched, Gardevoir — well, she was Ralts back then — and I were inseparable. We would play together, explore together, even take notes on every battle we watched. I mean, Ralts’s “notes” were just scribbles, but I was little, so mine weren’t that much better.

It wasn’t long before we started battling. When I started kindergarten, I’d bring Ralts with me — Pokémon were allowed at school as long as they stayed in their balls during class — and every recess, we would battle all the other kids who brought their Pokémon. We had these unofficial tournaments and everything.

I struggled a bit — just a bit — at first, but then it was like something clicked in my brain, and then everything became clear to me. I beat all the wannabe trainers in my class, and then the ones in the other kindergarten classes, too. After a while, they stopped wanting to battle me, because they knew they’d lose.

Okay, okay, maybe I was getting a little cocky. Just a bit.

I wasn’t really bothered, though. I just went and started battling the first graders instead. Things went on like that until, by the time I was done with third grade, everyone knew I was the best trainer-to-be at Garden Heights Elementary.

My parents were proud, my teachers were proud, even my neighbors — yes, including the backyard breeder — were proud. Everyone fed me praise, telling me that I was a prodigy, a battling genius. They encouraged me to take the island challenge right after I turned ten. They said that if I continued growing at my then-current rate, I could become a Trial Captain, or even be chosen as a Kahuna.

And I believed them. Of course I did. Twice the pride, double the fall.

Oh, Ralts? She was a Kirlia by then.

Yeah, I guess they should’ve praised her just as much as they praised me. We were partners, after all. I…

Wait. You’re just trying to get me to say some sappy crap, aren’t you?

Well, you won’t get anything like that from me, so shut up and walk.

Top Bottom