• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Skill Swap Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
D1: Gladion and Caviar
  • Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. sylveon
    2. absol-mega
    3. silvally-psychic
    4. ninetales-phantump
    5. cosmog
    6. gallade-phantump
    7. ceruledge-phantump
    Given there was, by his understanding, probably going to be some sort of battling, Gladion decided to rifle through the TMs. He wouldn't have Silverbell to ice out enemies in the skies, and the opponents here were unlikely to be of the sort of calibre he could stall to the point of dropping from exhaustion, his usual fallback for defeating them with only Hazel left.

He'd left Hazel behind, given it was a public place, but he had an idea of the sort of thing she'd be likely to learn. He'd pick a few top contenders and come back to check them individually when it was less busy. Probably another day, he wanted to see Laura and Malachai later tonight. He had...

He thought he had time, but it was occurring to him that he still had no clue what was up with the tournament. It was his lucky day, though, because there was someone here who could answer that question. The talent show magician himself, their host.

"Hey. So, what's going on here, if I may ask? You seem to have went through a lot of effort to get us all here. Is there... something planned?"

D2: Odile gets mini-therapy and a rap battle (Solopost)
  • Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
    Staff
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. sylveon-shiny
    2. gothitelle
    3. froslass
    4. chandelure
    5. mimikyu
    Odette Neutral.PNG
    After leaving things off with Gladion and Laura, Odette figured it would be a good time to stock up on a few more water bottles for her room. Maybe indulge in a snack while she tried to figure out what the fuck she was going to do next. She had her eye on a few of those group one trainers to perhaps talk to. But, she also wanted to get a move on trying to locate a mythic before anybody else had a chance to. And then to make matters all the more worse...

Odile Bat.PNG
    "̷H̸n̴n̶n̷g̴g̶g̷g̴g̵h̵h̵h̸h̷h̷h̵.̸.̴.̸"̸

Enora Deadpan.PNG
    "How long are you going to keep doing that before you decide you want to talk about it?"

Odile Bat.PNG
    "̷U̴n̸t̴i̷l̴ ̴y̸o̸u̶r̶ ̵b̷i̵t̵c̶h̷ ̸a̷s̷s̵ ̸g̶r̵o̶w̴s̶ ̵o̶l̴d̸ ̶a̷n̷d̶ ̶w̴r̵i̷n̴k̶l̴y̴y̵y̴h̸h̴h̵h̵n̷n̷n̷N̷N̶N̵G̵G̵G̵G̶H̷H̴H̷H̷H̶H̵H̵H̷.̸"̷

Enora Deadpan.PNG
    "Real mature."

Odette Deadpan.PNG
    "Okay, you know what."

Odette shrugged the backpack off and walked off into the tree line just off the path to the shop. When she felt she was adequately out of the way, she sat it against a tree and crouched down in front of Odile.

"Can you please use your fucking words and tell me what has you so twisted?"

Odile Bat.PNG
    She stared at Odette for a long while. before glancing down at her body. "̴I̷ ̵a̵m̸ ̷t̷h̷i̶s̴ ̶t̶h̵i̴n̵g̸ ̶c̴a̵l̷l̵e̸d̴ ̶'̴t̷u̴m̴b̶l̶e̵w̷e̸e̸d̷.̸'̷"̸

Odette Deadpan.PNG
    "I meant figuratively, idiot. You said somebody was talking shit about me, and I want to know what they said and why you're acting like this because of it."

Odile Bat.PNG
    Odile averted her eyes away nervously. She could see plain as day that no giant Noiverns around anymore to distract Odette from asking again. Which meant she'd have to spill. It fucking sucked.

How would one even describe bowling balls? How would one who spent all of time not knowing what bowling balls were even attempt to discuss them?

Truthfully, it was much easier to keep this shit to herself. That's what she'd been doing, and it was working out perfectly fucking fine until Clovis 2.0 had to run his mouth a little too hard. He could probably do without his tongue. She'd cut it out the next time she saw him. Yeah. That would make things all better.

Shit. No it wouldn't. Odette would still fucking bother her about it, and she might even be a little mad to find somebody's tongue in her wallet...

Hngh. There was really no choice here. But what could she even say?

"̷.̶.̷.̴I̶ ̴d̷o̸n̵'̴t̶ ̸k̴n̸o̵w̴ ̴w̶h̴e̸r̷e̷ ̴t̸o̶ ̶s̸t̷a̸r̴t̸," she said earnestly. Because it was the truth.

Enora Neutral Frown.PNG
    Not much left Odile at a loss for words, and it was something that was clearly weighing on her. Enora sent a look to Odette, suddenly feeling a pang of sympathy, as she stepped forward.

"Can you begin with what they said? And maybe relay to an instance that might have contributed it to why it struck you?"

Odile Bat.PNG
    Hngh...for once, Enora actually had something useful to say. That sounded easy enough.

"̸H̵e̵ ̵w̴a̷s̵.̷.̸.̸a̸n̷g̴r̷y̸ ̵a̸b̸o̶u̷t̴ ̵t̴h̸e̷ ̵g̸i̷r̸l̴," she started. ̴"A̵n̶d̴ ̴h̵e̶ ̷w̵a̷s̸ ̶l̵i̴k̸e̴.̷.̵.̸'̷w̶h̸a̴t̴ ̶w̸o̴u̴l̶d̸ ̴y̸o̸u̶ ̴d̵o̵ ̶i̵f̷ ̵i̴t̷ ̶w̷a̸s̸ ̷O̸d̶e̴t̸t̸e̷ ̷w̶h̶o̶ ̷w̶e̶n̵t̶ ̶m̷i̷s̸s̶i̷n̶g̸'̷ ̷a̶n̴d̷ ̷I̶.̵.̷.̷"̷

She frowned. Deeply.

̴"̷T̴h̵a̸t̶ ̷a̴c̷t̵u̵a̸l̴l̵y̵ ̷h̷a̶p̵p̷e̴n̵e̷d̷.̶ ̸Y̵o̴u̴ ̸w̶e̸r̴e̸ ̴t̷o̶o̷ ̶f̸a̴r̷ ̴a̶w̵a̴y̵ ̵f̵o̸r̶ ̷m̶e̵ ̸t̸o̵ ̴k̵n̶o̸w̸ ̷w̵h̸e̸r̶e̷ ̸y̸o̷u̸ ̴w̸e̶r̷e̴.̴ ̵I̵ ̷h̸a̴t̵e̷d̴ ̴i̶t̶.̶ ̵A̶n̶d̸ ̷h̶e̶ ̷r̴e̴m̸i̴n̸d̵e̶d̴ ̸m̷e̵ ̴o̶f̶ ̷i̵t̶.̵ ̴A̷n̷d̶ ̴n̷o̸w̶ ̴I̸ ̸f̵e̷e̷l̴ ̷l̴i̴k̸e̴...̸b̶a̴d̵.̴"̶

Odette Startled.PNG
    "Oh."

Well. Son of a bitch. She wasn't expecting to get deep today. And yet, here they were.

"That's..."

She was suddenly sweating again. And suddenly felt really, really bad for laughing at her earlier.

Enora Sad.PNG
    Oh. For how obnoxious Odile tended to be, Enora was once again reminded that she didn't quite know how to handle her emotions. Or empathy. Or trauma. Enora knew damn well she was just as bothered by that instance. But for somebody like Odile, who had no idea how to air that properly...

She placed a paw on Odile's wing. "Hey. It's okay. Everyone's okay," she said. "It's alright to feel these things, you know. But you also have to understand that grating on people at times like these is going to cause these kinds of emotions to stir up. You're valid in being upset, but you probably made that poor trainer very upset too, and that wasn't okay." She then sighed.

"I know it's your thing, but you have to know that stirring wrath might also cause people to say things that will hurt you as well."

Odile Bat.PNG
    "̶W̸e̸l̸l̶,̶ ̸s̷h̵i̷t̸,̴ ̵I̴ ̶k̸n̸o̸w̷ ̸t̴h̸a̵t̸ ̷N̸O̵W̴.̵"̸ Now that it was apparent she had nerves that could be pulled. What the fuck even was that? "̷I̷ ̷g̶u̵e̸s̸s̸.̵.̷.̶i̸n̷ ̶a̷ ̷w̴a̷y̸.̸.̶.̴I̴ ̵f̵e̷e̴l̸ ̵s̴o̶r̴r̶y̸.̵ ̸N̷o̷t̶ ̸s̴o̶r̸r̸y̷ ̷e̷n̸o̶u̵g̸h̷ ̵t̶o̷ ̴n̵o̷t̸ ̴k̷i̴n̸d̵a̴ ̷w̷a̷n̵t̵ ̷t̸o̸ ̸t̵h̶r̴o̸w̵ ̵a̴ ̶r̶o̶c̴k̷ ̴a̷t̶ ̶h̶i̷m̶,̶ ̵b̷u̴t̴ ̵s̸o̵r̸r̴y̷ ̷e̷n̷o̷u̵g̷h̸ ̸t̵o̷.̴.̵.̸f̴e̴e̷l̸ ̴b̴a̶d̶ ̶f̶o̷r̶ ̶m̵e̸s̵s̷i̷n̴g̶ ̴a̵r̴o̶u̶n̵d̵ ̶w̵h̴e̴n̸ ̸s̴o̸m̵e̷b̷o̵d̴y̵'̴s̶ ̵m̶i̷s̶s̶i̶n̸g̶.̵"̵

For some reason, and as hard as it was, it felt really good to admit that. A bowling ball left.

Odette Startled.PNG
    They sat in silence for a while. Enora continued to gingerly rub Odile's wing, while Odette had very evidently gotten lost in her thoughts. There wasn't really much to say after all of that. Odette certainly didn't know where to begin; she felt completely frozen. Whether it was from some lingering PTSD or because she didn't have a comforting bone in her body, she couldn't tell.

Sitting and listening to the trees rustle in the wind was probably the best way to go. For the moment.

Until suddenly, she had an idea.

Not the most comforting thing in the world, and her eardrums might regret it later on back in their dorm, but maybe it would lift some spirits...and get their minds off of everything that was wrong.

Odette Smile.PNG
    "Pull up in the monster, automobile gangsa," she rapped, "with a bad bitch that came from Sri Lanka."

She stood up and gestured to Odile. "Yeah, I'm in that Tanka, color of Willy Wonka. You could be the king, but watch the queen conquer."

Odile Sparkle Eyes.PNG
    The reaction was immediate. Odile's eyes lit up like Lumiose's skyline, and with a flick of her wing, she was back in that human form.

"̴O̶K̷A̴Y̷ ̷F̶I̴R̸S̸T̷ ̶T̴H̶I̷N̸G̶'̴S̴ ̴F̷I̶R̷S̵T̴,̸ ̵I̸'̵L̵L̶ ̴E̸A̶T̴ ̴Y̶O̸U̴R̸ ̶B̸R̵A̶I̶N̶S̵,̴"̶ she rapped back. ̸"̸T̸H̴E̶N̷ ̸I̷M̸M̷A̴ ̸S̵T̴A̷R̴T̸ ̴R̴O̶C̵K̴I̵N̸'̸ ̷G̷O̸L̴D̴ ̷T̴E̴E̸T̶H̶," she pointed to her mouth and flashed a wicked grin, ̴"A̸N̵D̶ ̶F̵A̶N̵G̸S̵.̸ C̷A̴U̶S̵E̴ ̶T̵H̷A̵T̶'̶S̵ ̸W̵H̸A̶T̵ ̸T̴H̴E̸ ̶M̷O̶T̵H̴E̶R̴F̷U̷C̶K̷I̴N̷'̴ ̸M̴O̴N̸S̷T̷E̶R̷ ̸D̵O̷.̸ H̴A̷I̶R̵ ̷D̵R̷E̶S̵S̸E̶R̷ ̷F̴R̵O̶M̴ ̶M̵I̵L̶A̷N̵,̸ ̶T̸H̶A̸T̷'̵S̶ ̸T̴H̷E̷ ̵M̶O̵N̶S̴T̷E̸R̶ ̴D̸O̵-̶-̶"̶

Odette Smile.PNG
    Odette watched expectantly as Odile returned the favor, actually nodding along with the verse and swaying her shoulders to the beat of how she remembered the song. When it was her turn, she stepped up to Odile and pointed at her.

"So let me get this straight, wait I'm the rookie?" She pointed back to herself, rolling her eyes dramatically, "but my features and my shows ten times your pay? 50k for a verse, no album out, but my money's so tall that my Barbie's gotta climb it--"

Odile Sparkle Eyes.PNG
    By this point, Odile was dancing around happily, mimicking Odette's moves as they went. "̷B̷U̸T̴ ̵R̵E̵A̸L̸L̷Y̷,̶ ̶R̷E̸A̷L̴L̷Y̶ ̴I̴ ̵D̴O̸N̶'̵T̵ ̵G̴I̵V̵E̶ ̷A̸N̵ ̵F̸-̵U̴-̷C̴-̵K̷.̴ ̷'̵F̵O̶R̴G̵E̷T̶ ̸B̴A̴R̶B̶I̶E̶,̴ ̶F̸U̷C̶K̸ ̶O̴D̴I̸L̸E̶,̸ ̶S̵H̴-̸S̸H̵E̵'̴S̷ ̸F̴A̵K̵E̷.̸"̷ ̸She smirked mischievously at the lyric change. "̵'̵S̵H̷E̶ ̶O̸N̶ ̵A̸ ̴D̵I̵E̴T̸ ̴B̷U̵T̵ ̸M̶Y̸ ̶P̷O̸C̸K̶E̸T̶S̶ ̷E̷A̷T̸I̶N̴'̶ ̷C̸H̵E̴E̵S̸E̶C̶A̶K̶E̸-̴-̴"̴

This was fun. This was so fun. More bowling balls left. And they were coming up on the best part!

"̶P̴I̶N̵K̶ ̸W̸I̷G̸-̸-̵"̷
    Odette Smile.PNG
    "--thick ass, give 'em whiplash. I think big, get cash--"
    Odile Sparkle Eyes.PNG
    "̵-̵-̶M̸A̶K̵E̶ ̷'̸E̸M̸ ̷B̴L̷I̴N̶K̵ ̷F̶A̶S̷T̵.̸ ̴N̷O̸W̵ ̸L̸O̷O̵K̶ ̵A̴T̷ ̵W̴H̸A̶T̴ ̷Y̸O̶U̷ ̴J̷U̶S̶T̸ ̷S̵A̷W̴,̶ ̷T̷H̴I̵S̶ ̸I̴S̷ ̷W̶H̶A̷T̵ ̵Y̵O̸U̷ ̶L̴I̵V̴E̶ ̶F̷O̵R̸-̸-̵"̶

They screamed in unison. It wasn't a loud one, one that was just loud enough to be heard among the three of them.

"I̷'̷M̶ A M̸O̴T̴H̵E̷R̶FFUCKIN' M̶O̴N̴STER!" They yelled together. The irony of the lyric wasn't lost on either of them but, but they didn't seem to care at the moment.

Enora Beaming.PNG
    They laughed. And laughed, and laughed. All together, all at once. It really was a rare moment that Enora wouldn't take for granted. She actually wished she could have filmed it.

She gave their small performance a round of applause. She was absolutely overjoyed by the change in the air around them. Who knew rapping would lift the spirits so quickly? She'd have to take notes.

"Very nice," she complimented. She was even feeling better now. Less tense, less dread, less overall bad feelings. Much needed after the day so far.

She hoped it would last.

"How about we do some shopping now?" she suggested.

<><><><><><><><><>><<>><><<<><><><>

Last edited:
    Day 2 - Steven and Odette find out there's a BOGO sale on FEELINGS
  • Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
    Partners
    1. aggron
    2. lairon
    Steven chuckled as his partner guided them straight from the mountain right to the Skill Swap Shop.

grin eyes closed.png
    "I never took you for the shopping type," he said with a grin. "All that talk of moves with Hayes must have gotten you fired up."

grumpy.png
    Aggron harrumphed in response. He would be more excited about shopping if it was for battling. But usually it was for food, or supplies, or display cases for rocks, and that was all more Cradily's speed than his. This kind of shopping, though -- he stopped in front of the expansive display of TMs -- this was more like it.

straight ahead smile.png
    "You're right, though. We should get what we need sooner, rather than later."

They perused the shelves for a bit, mulling over options. Steven already had Rock Slide in hand, a sure pick after issuing that friendly challenge with Blue's Charizard. But perhaps they should grab something else in light of this morning's... incident.

He was thumbing through the dark-type TMs when Aggron poked his head over the display and fixed a glare on the shop's entrance. The door to the shop chimed as it opened and closed, and a low growl formed in Aggron's throat. Steven set down the Taunt TM and gave his partner a quizzical look.

"What's wrong, Aggron?" he asked, turning to look at what the big steel type had spotted...

Day 3 - Seb And Steven In A Fateful Meeting
  • Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. rowlet
    Seb entered the shop, a smile on his face as he looked around. “Ooh, there’s so much stuff here. Hope there are plushies here. Maybe a Riolu one would be nice.”

Jack looked around with a similar sense of amazement. There were so many battle supplies, like X Attacks and HP Ups, and there were even TMs on display. Which one could he learn for the next battle?

Day 3 – Lourine & Laura
  • Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. swampert
    3. ho-oh
    4. crobat
    5. orbeetle
    6. joltik
    7. salandit
    8. tyrantrum
    Instead of shopping around the inside like most trainers would have been Lourine found herself slipping around the outside of the Skill Swap shop building. Her Houndoom paced ahead of her, nose to the ground.

"Anything?"

Houndoom grunted and shook his head before continuing to sniff. She glanced over her shoulder again, keen to avoid being spotted. Too much suspicion was flying around and she wasn't in the mood to be questioned by some do well witch hunting trainer who was trying to play at being detective.

@unrepentantAuthor

Day 6 - A Real Hero
  • Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. rowlet
    Seb walked around the shop, Zack staying close behind him. He looked throughout the different items on sale--TMs, medicine... "There has to be a part with Mega Stones around here," he muttered.

Now that the Pidgeot was the biggest of the three, Jack was riding on his friend's shoulder, leek held close.

Skill Swap Sleuthing (wow! Alliteration!) (Jade/Laura/Wes)
  • HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. suicune
    2. umbreon
    3. mew
    4. lycanroc-wes
    5. leafeon-rui
    After affirming with a few strangers about where they’d last seen Sigmin, Wes made a beeline for the shop. He couldn’t be sure it was exactly where the trainer had been taken, but it was a start, at least. He walked briskly, his strides so stiff and swift that Neo and Novo had to trot to keep pace with him.

He wasn’t sure if it was anger or anxiety churning in his gut. Maybe both. Or maybe it was the fact that he’d downed an entire cup of black coffee on an empty stomach. He didn’t sleep a wink after the meeting last night, mind racing and spinning over all the possible outcomes of their plan for today, and this morning he didn’t have an appetite to begin with. He’d considered at least forcing down something to eat—until he heard the news about Sigmin and his Pokémon, and that effectively removed breakfast from his priorities.

It was odd…unnerving, even, that among the few people Wes had actually conversed with, a handful of them had now been targeted. Logic told him that was bound to happen eventually, what with so many disappearances by now, but he couldn’t avoid the nagging thought in his mind that maybe those people disappeared because Wes had spoken to them. First it was Mitch. And now it was Sigmin.

At the very least, the little shit with the Alakazam was fine so far, he supposed. Naturally, the one he hadn’t gotten along with was still here. Figures. Not that Wes wanted the brat to get kidnapped, of course, but…did this mean anyone he’d been friendly with was now a target?

And if that was the case, who was next? Odette and her team? Kimiko and Olivia? Gladion and Hazel? Granted, it might not be the worst thing in the world if that freaky possessed tumbleweed disappeared, but—no. She was horrifying, but she was still an ally. Besides, Wes couldn’t imagine how Novo would react to Enora’s disappearance, and Odette, well…she and Wes had had their differences, but in the end she’d become pleasant company. Maybe even a friend.

Half-sized, maybe, but not half bad. Wes had to take a moment to grin and chuckle to himself at his stupid joke. Oh, gods, he was losing it. Still, it was a good one to stow away in his arsenal. Maybe he could use it on Rui one of these days…if he got the chance…

He shook his head. Too tired, not enough time. He couldn’t afford to dwell on that for now. If he and his Pokémon made it off this island in one piece…then he would make things right. He could at least promise that much to himself.

Turning his thoughts to the present wasn’t any more pleasant, though. The thought of Gladion and Hazel made Wes’ stomach clench and he had to take a steadying breath to fight the bout of nausea that followed. (Dammit. He was going to regret that coffee, wasn’t he.) Gladion was a good kid. Hazel, too. Neither of them deserved any of this, least of all to get kidnapped or hurt or gods knew what else. And Kimiko and Olivia…they were good people, too. Not only would Neo be devastated, but Kimiko…he hadn’t spoken to her for several days now, but she had his back. She was kind and smart and quick-witted. If anything happened to any more of the people Wes had come to know here…

No. Nothing more was going to happen. Because they were going to get answers, they were going to put an end to this, once and for all. Today. And they would start with the shop. He’d thought briefly about asking someone to come with him. He’d noticed Steven at the banquet—thank gods—and thought maybe he could invite the Champion along and also apologize for last night, but…he couldn’t shake the fear that maybe everyone was safer not associating with him. Logic once again tried to reason with him, saying everyone was a target, not just him and his friends, but the thought persisted anyway. So he went alone, with Neo and Novo never more than a meter from his side at all times.

He stopped just short of the shop and looked around, scanning the exterior with narrowed eyes. He didn’t dare get too close or go inside just yet.

“Neo. Scope it out.”

Neo replied with a soft chirp and stepped out from where he was pressed against Wes’ leg. Even he was more subdued this morning, Wes had noticed. Sigmin and his mon’s disappearance had probably dealt him a blow, seeing how friendly he had gotten with the Sala…Salad…poison-type Pokémon.

Neo used Aura Reader! @Flyg0n

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom