• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Poppin' Arms ~ Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
That was... a sensible approach, yes.

"I was unaware that Sir Rayquaza could produce or let oxygen flow out of the atmosphere," said Icetales, then he nodded slowly. "But if he can, then yes. That would be most helpful."

Icetales noticed how the wraith seemed to be staring intently at the last addition in the chalkboard.

Cynicism...

Positivity...

"Pray tell, dost thou have any hope that we might be able to rescue Sir Soda from what is afflicting him? Or thou believe it might be better to be safer rather than sorry and... go straight to the root, if thou catch my drift?"

Deep down, the Ninetales himself didn't know what to think about the situation. They had been able to purify many folks before it was too late, but... what was the limit before someone could be considered irredeemable? When could someone reach... Magnificent's levels?

Ambyssin

Gotta go back. Back to the past.
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
He actually wanted to know Bahamut's opinion? Well, that was certainly a change. Though Bahamut doubted Icetales was going to like his response.

"Do I have hope for rescuing him? No." Bahamut's eyes darkened. "I'm sure that perpetual drunkard of a mightyena will disagree and I'm not going to stop him if he wants to throw his Cibus self away to rescue his new boyfriend. But I do know Team Spectrum's usual routine of throwing encouraging drivel at him will not work. The Soda— or Sodas we've seen are immensely cynical. I not only expect the full beast to be unaffected, but to turn your words back against you to the point that you might lose the will to fight."

He flicked an upper wing. "Let's assume the best case that there is a parasite inside him. Look at what he's done." Bahamut vaguely gestured toward the ceiling. "To get to this point... the parasite must have eroded his soul to such a degree there may scarcely be anything left of whoever Soda really was originally.

"I saw what happened with the parasitized mewtwo." Bahamut conjured a small projection. "The one who seemed utterly blank and inert. The reality was his real soul was stuffed down, but there was still some element of resistance. Which is perhaps why multiple parties were able to defeat it at different times." The projection coughed up a glowing ball before dissolving away. "Freeing the spirit destroyed the mewtwo body. Fortunately we could stuff the soul in an ultra stone for the time being. But it will never get its original body back. Maybe Arceus can make it another, but I believe it not being native to Cibus will complicate that."

He flicked the projection away with his right lower wing. "That mewtwo tended to be reactive in its actions. Never striking first. Always responding to what happened around it." Bahamut looked up. "That is clearly not the case with Soda. To me, this suggests the parasite has either eaten away at Soda's soul to the point there's scarcely anything left to rescue... or has interwoven itself with his soul, which would make freeing him immensely more challenging than before."

Bahamut clicked his beak. "And that's not even the end of it, really. Because I'm given to understand he has countless unown under his control." Black and white lines in his eyes produced unown projections that danced around his upper chest spike. "We probably won't even be able to think about actually getting to Soda's core or whatever until we can take them out of the equation. So, that's two different separations to worry about. Soda from the unown... and from the parasite."

His expression sharpened. "Both processes are, in my professional opinion, dangerous. Even attempting something similar back home would run me the risk of turning someone into a spiritual vegetable. Thoughtless. Emotionless. Drifting aimlessly until their body decays then spending the afterlife inert." Bahamut sighed. "If you were human, I could give you a good analogy about a human filled with so much scar tissue that surgery is deemed impossible. Oh well."

Bahamut slumped down further. His tail rolled up to his groin. "But let's say we do defy the odds. Because that seems to be this team's specialty." He fixed an utterly stoic look on Icetales. "Who or what do you think we will rescue? If Soda has any semblance of a conscience, do you really think he'll be able to live with himself after everything the parasite put him through?

"Blacklight Mewtwo has the prospect of making its first life for itself. Eternatus is so traveled and ageless she's unfazed." A sickly purple tint took over Bahamut's body. "If there was any truth to Soda's background, he'll be returning to loneliness and shattered dreams of a reunion that will never happen."

He looked Icetales in the eye. "So, you tell me. Does our team want to rescue Soda because it's the right thing to do... or because we want to feel good about ourselves?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales stayed in respectful silence as Bahamut gave his own thoughts of the entire situation, his breathing slow and quiet as he assimilated the words of his teammate. The gaze of the wraith was trained on him, filtering the blend of contrasting emotions that raged into his heart.

Parasites that ruin souls. An almighty Zoroark that tried to obliterate a world. And that Mewtwo, a bodyless entity who might never be the same ever again. And then, the Unown that can warp reality, unable to resist the commands of a near-god.

Hopeless souls, crushed beyond recognition by circumstances and malice. Without anyone to rescue them from their situation. Lost, without a light to show their way...

How… very familiar that situation felt. To be considered a twisted soul without a future, that can only be tamed by being put down. Because love can’t heal everything, can it?

…Could it be that Petram became a Zoroark as an unconscious connection between Icetales and Soda? Because they had so many things in common? Because they both lost so much because of a tyrant or dark fate?

Icetales took a shuddering breath to drown out his memories once more. Darkness wrapped around his spirit, like a comforting mantle that turned the memento into a thick haze.

He would have dealt with that again in due time.

Bahamut sighed. "If you were human, I could give you a good analogy about a human filled with so much scar tissue that surgery is deemed impossible. Oh well."

Icetales narrowed his eyes. "Hm, I think... I get what thou art saying, yes. Basically, when not even a Heal Pulse can restore gangrenous flesh…” He shook his head. “I have heard countless of tales from my sister, who is a nurse. Folks that could not be saved, no matter how much we prayed and hoped for the best…”

Was that what was happening to Soda, too? Was his soul really blackened and impossible to heal?

Was there really… nothing that could be done? Nothing at all?

Bahamut slumped down further. His tail rolled up to his groin. "But let's say we do defy the odds. Because that seems to be this team's specialty." He fixed an utterly stoic look on Icetales. "Who or what do you think we will rescue? If Soda has any semblance of a conscience, do you really think he'll be able to live with himself after everything the parasite put him through?

"Blacklight Mewtwo has the prospect of making its first life for itself. Eternatus is so traveled and ageless she's unfazed." A sickly purple tint took over Bahamut's body. "If there was any truth to Soda's background, he'll be returning to loneliness and shattered dreams of a reunion that will never happen."

He looked Icetales in the eye. "So, you tell me. Does our team want to rescue Soda because it's the right thing to do... or because we want to feel good about ourselves?"

The Ninetales opened his mouth to reply, but no word came out at first.

Sure, the first answer was to say that the team wanted to rescue Soda both because it was the right thing to do and to not have a weight on their conscience. There was no point in hiding it: a death is a death, and a death left an indelible mark that would have plagued them throughout all their lives.

…Assuming they recalled what happened on Cibus, of course.

“Well, let us cut straight to the point, shall we?” said Icetales, who took a more dignified and serious posture. “Indeed, we have defied odds and managed to rescue folks who had been contaminated by alien and malevolent forces despite everything, so it would make sense for the team to have gained a sense of… power, of being able to do everything.”

The Ninetales flicked his tails, causing a dark pulsing energy to flicker at the tips. “And yes, having a death on the conscience is a heavy weight, so it is logical that folks desire to avoid that, no? And attempting to preserve even the faintest light… well, isn’t that a heroic gesture? Why should we forget the goodness that was in Sir Soda’s past just because he is twisted by an eternal darkness?

“Howbeit… I am no fool, Sir Bahamut. I am fully aware that there are some cases that have no solution, aside from… taking extreme measures. And yes, the current odds are bleak, perhaps the bleakest we have faced so far. By the great Jirachi, attempting to destroy a world… to end so many innocent lives…”

Icetales took a deep breath and closed his eyes. His pelt blackened and took a reddish shade, while a chaotic energy surrounded the tips of his tails.

“…I will not say to act like blind idiots, nor to clap and believe that faith will save the day once more. Not by itself, at least.”

He stared hard at Bahamut, his eyes tinged in a reddish light. “But we must be absolutely sure that there no real way to save nor restore his soul. If we have the ultimate clue that attempting to save him would be akin to keeping a specter alive,” his gaze hardened, “then… we shall do what we must, no matter how painful that would be. We cannot afford to jeopardize an entire world just to save one lone soul. The stakes are far too high.”

He sighed. “It is not like we would remember the weight on the conscience for too long, anyway, and we have a duty toward this world. Toward these people. Hesitation to do the right action would just spell their doom…”

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
"The past is the past," Bahamut said firmly. "There's an old line or joke or quip from a piece of human media in my dimension: 'You either die a hero... or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.'" He crossed his crystalline legs. "The real Soda had enough bitterness festering about his situation for the parasite to latch onto and mutate to the point of malignancy. I don't expect that to disappear. In a perfect world, he could be salvaged... and all of his memories about his home dimension could be expunged in the process, leaving him a relieved zoroark content to continue working with Joule and Maple.

"But I've never successfully removed memories without side effects." Bahamut tapped the chalkboard with his tail and it spun slowly on its axis. "I'm not going to stop anyone who wants to throw their life away in attempting this, though something tells me Diyem will not be able to save anyone who falls to Soda. But I do believe the people with the best chance of getting through to him are the team's most cynical members. People who truly understand that the world is not a kind place and don't try to hide such sentiments behind cheerful demeanors." A projection of Owen briefly formed before dispelling. "Probably the mightyena boyfriend, as I don't believe anyone else spent much time around him.

"As for me, though, I believe there's a tough balancing act between doing good for someone and doing no harm. And we are at the point where such a balance is impossible."

He sighed. "It's called a 'mercy kill' for a reason."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"...Mercy kill."

By the stars, how did those words taste so bitter and heavy. There was still a side of him who wanted to refuse those words, to remind him that there have been many moments in which people considered killing the corrupted and infected, and then said corrupted and infected recovered... relatively well.

But then, his mind wandered back to the memories and retellings of Fifth. How she had to keep a stoic face when she had to deal with patients with terminal diseases, and give them the sweet relief of death. Her heart might have ached more times than she could remember, but it was the right thing to do.

Those cases in which prolonging their lives equated to prolonging their suffering. And that was... cruel, more so than the disease itself.

"Yes. I understand. If Sir Soda cannot be reasoned with, if his soul really is lost, if there is no way to salvage him in any way, then..." Icetales turned around to stare at a wall. Those words were stuck in his throat, his mind at war with itself.

...Dost not let thy heart and spirit yield. Thou know more than anyone that not all battles can be won.

Right. Illusion or not, the shadow of Magnificent couldn't be reasoned with. If it was the same with Soda, then... there would have been only one thing to do.

"...Our team will be very torn about this, I can tell. But... I agree with thee, Sir Bahamut." Icetales looked again at the light dragon, his eyes mixed between resignation and resolution. "We can only pray that there is some way to salvage Sir Soda. That Sir Dave can reach out for him and... I do not know. Pull off some one-in-a-million miracle. Something we didn't consider yet. Expect the worst, but hope for the best, basically." His tone darkened. "Dreams can go that far..."

A red scythe flickered above Icetales for a brief moment, as ominous as a deadly omen. But just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished, alongside the darkness pulsating inside the Ninetales. He shook his head and tails, cramming his darkest thoughts back within himself. "Many thanks for this enlightening chat and for sharing thy opinions, Sir Bahamut. It has been very enlightening." He gave a respectful nod. "If there isn't anything else, I shall take my leave."

Ambyssin

Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. silvally-dragon
  2. necrozma-ultra
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. dreepy
  6. mewtwo-ambyssin
Bahamut's eyes bubbled. "I sincerely hope you calling it 'enlightening' was just a poor choice of words and not a bad pun." He clicked his beak. "Otherwise I'd have to portal you into Chip's office and force you to listen to him babble until your head spins."

Actually, can their heads spin with blacklight powers? I suppose it's possible. Better make a note of that.

He waved Icetales off with a wing and levitated the chalk back up. Bahamut held it in place for a minute before clenching his beak and scribbling a single line.

No thoughts, head empty.

A smirk tugged at his beak. "Maybe the key isn't to overthink this... but underthink it."

<><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom