• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

It's Just A Kiss, Right? (Christmas 2023)
  • OpalSparks

Pokemon Coordinator
    Pronouns
    She/Her, He/Him
    It was an unusually cold day in the Hoenn region. Even in the winter, it didn’t typically get too terribly cold, but today it was snowing! Today was December 25th, and many houses and buildings were decorated with bright lights, giant candy canes, inflatable Stantler, and more. Drew and Wally’s older cousin, Wanda, invited them and anybody they wanted to bring with them for a Christmas party in Verdanturf Town.
    Naturally, Drew invited May, as well as her younger brother Max. Wally on the other hand, was on his way to Verdanturf, after he, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie met up with Opal and Zoey nearby before heading there together.
    Wally wore a puffy green down vest with a white long sleeve sweater underneath, with a yellow scarf, white pants, and a pair black snow boots with green accents on the top.
    Serena wore a dark pink hoodless jacket with purple accents and white buttons, and an orange scarf around her neck. Her warm pants were gray, and her shoes matched the pink on her jacket. Upon her head, she wore a light pink beanie with a white fluffy puff ball.
    Clemont wore a cyan ski suit with yellow accents running along his arms as well as around the collar, as well as around the legs. He also wore green gloves, and dark snow boots.
    Bonnie was wearing a cute Santa Claus-inspired dress with a bell and holly leaves at the neck, as well as a Santa hat and a big yellow bow tied in her hair, along with a pair of simple black boots and red pants.
    Opal wore a pink and black plaid coat dress, tied with a belt that had a rose gold colored buckle in the shape of a heart. Underneath the coat dress was the skirting from her usual suspender dress, as well as pink leggings and her usual black boots with pink accents and laces. A blue scarf and a black hat with a pink felt rose on it complemented her outfit.
    Zoey wore a long sleeve maroon shirt, a short orange puffy vest that was left open, a pair of light blue jeans, brown boots, and sunglasses on top of her head.

The group of Pokémon Trainers arrived at a lovely house that was decorated from top to bottom in colorful lights, along with Christmas decorations in the yard, as well as a wreath on the front door.
    Serena smiled down at Wally. “Your cousin sure knows how to make a house look festive for the holidays.” She said to the younger boy.
    Wally smiled softly. “Wanda and her husband Riley really get into holiday decorations, and they like hosting parties for them too.” He responded.
    The door opened, and there was a woman who was dressed up to look like Mrs. Claus at the door. She wore a long Christmas dress that had sort of a bell shape from the waist down, with a belt tied at the waist as well. She had an oversized red bow tying back her long, curly light green hair, and had on a pair of oval-shaped frameless glasses. She smiled warmly at the group! “Wally! You’re here! Oh and these must be your friends!” She greeted.
    Wally smiled up at his cousin. “Yeah they are. This is Serena, and these two are Clemont and Bonnie, they’re brother and sister. These are the friends I travel with.” He said, introducing his travel group. “And the girl with the hat here is Opal…line.” He nervously corrected himself as Opal gave him a look. “And then the girl behind her is Zoey.”
    Wanda smiled at the group. “It’s so nice to meet all of you. I’m so glad to see Wally is making friends on his Pokémon journey!” She said to them. “Come on in, and feel free to let your Pokémon join in on the festivities as well.” The green-haired woman offered, stepping aside to let everybody inside of her home.
    Everyone went inside, and were met with red ribbon garlands all over the walls, a huge Christmas tree decorated with colorful lights and ornaments, with some presents underneath, and a fireplace with a fire already burning inside of it. The walls were a gentle, yet bold shade of purple. In the center of the living room, a mistletoe replacement made with holly hung from the ceiling.
    Wanda smiled at them. “Oh, and if you have bought presents for anybody here, go ahead and set them under the tree for later.” She said.
    Everybody started to go through their bags, pulling out presents they’d all wrapped for one another, and started to place them under the tree.
    Drew, May, and Max were already at Wanda’s house. May smiled and ran over to Serena, hugging her. “Serena! It’s been a while!” She exclaimed.
    Serena looked a bit startled, but smiled. “Hey there May.” She greeted, smiling at May’s Christmas dress and short mini cloak, before looking over at Drew and Max.
    Drew smirked and flipped his hair a little with his hand. “Well if it isn’t spun out debut. At least you didn’t spin out in the last contest.” He teased a bit. He wore a black turtleneck, with a purple vest zipped up over it, as well as dark blue pants and black shoes.
    Serena huffed just a bit. “Oh can it, Drew.” She said with a small pout, folding her arms as she looked at the green-haired teen.
    Wally looked awkward. “Come on Drew, let’s not do this right now. It’s a Christmas party, and we should be trying to have fun.” He complained.
    Drew shrugged a bit. “Oh alright Wally, we’ll have it your way. I’ll save it for the next Pokémon Contest.” He said.
    Max sighed, and approached Wally. “Don’t worry, I know how it is with older siblings.” He said to Wally, smiling faintly.
    May gave Max an annoyed look now. “And what exactly is that supposed to mean, little brother?” She asked, clearly a little fed up already.
    Bonnie giggled a bit at all of the sibling nonsense going on. She noticed the mistletoe in the living room and giggled, gently elbowing Clemont. “Hey, maybe you’ll get lucky and end up under the mistletoe with a special someone today.” She said, pointing at the mistletoe.
    Clemont looked down at Bonnie, then looked at the mistletoe, and blushed quite a bit. “Oh cut that out Bonnie! These are our friends…!” He let out, looking quite flustered.
    Bonnie giggled and shrugged, turning her back to Clemont, though she still gave him the side eye. “Oh would you lighten up, I’m just picking on you.” She said with a mischievous little grin.
    Clemont just blushed, both flustered and annoyed. “You…!” He then sighed with defeat, as there wasn’t much he could do about Bonnie. After all, no matter how many times he’s told her, she continues to insist on being nosy about his love life.
    Serena smiled at the two siblings and giggled a little bit, amused by their bickering at one another. She looked at the mistletoe, and smiled as a little idea hatched in her mind.

As everyone was enjoying the party, having some punch, eating comfort foods, talking, and just having a good time, Serena pulled Bonnie aside. “Hey Bonnie, I had a fun little idea.” She said.
    Bonnie looked up at Serena. “What is it, Serena?” She asked, looking a bit perplexed by the sudden conversation.
    Serena smiled a bit. “We’re going to get Clemont under the mistletoe…with Opal!” She said to her with a little wink.
    Bonnie looked at Serena, and had a big grin on her face. “How are we going to do that?” She asked Serena.
    Serena giggled. “I’m going to convince Opal to get under the mistletoe by suggesting that something looks weird from that spot, and you just figure out a way to get Clemont underneath the mistletoe with her.” She explained.
    Bonnie smiled at Serena with a devious grin. “Oh, I see. I’ll be ready for it!” She promised. “I’ll be waiting!”
    Serena smiled at Bonnie. “Sounds good.” She said, and started to head over to where Opal was at. “Hey, Opal.” She whispered.
    Opal looked at Serena with a curious glance. “What is it, Serena?” She asked the blonde teen.
    Serena smiled at Opal. “I was wanting to show you something.” She said, bringing Opal to the center of the living room. “There’s something weird about this tree when looking at it from this spot, but I can’t put my finger on it.”
    Opal looked a bit confused, but decided to try to see whatever it was Serena may have been talking about. “...I don’t see anything.” She said.
    Serena looked at Opal. “Do me a favor and keep trying to figure it out. I’m going to grab us some punch.” She said, and fled from the spot.
    Opal sighed, and rolled her eyes as she once again tried to figure out what exactly was so weird about the Christmas tree.
    Bonnie saw Opal was under the mistletoe, and saw Clemont happened to be in a decent spot for her hand in the scheme. She snuck up behind Clemont, and shoved him toward where Opal was!
    Startled, Clemont stumbled, trying not to fall over. “Whoa! What the heck!?” He let out, flailing his arms as he tried his best not to fall forward!
    Opal looked surprised, and placed her hands against Clemont’s shoulders in order to prevent him from falling. “Are you okay?” She asked.
    Clemont looked down at the shorter teen and nodded. “I-I’m fine…but what was that-” He started, but was suddenly cut off.
    May let out a delighted squeal! “Oh my! Clemont and Opalline are underneath the mistletoe!” She exclaimed. As she did so, the others glanced at the center of the living room where the two stood.
    Clemont looked confused, and glanced up at the ceiling, at which point he noticed the mistletoe. “Wha…?”
    Opal stared at Clemont, her face flushing red. She felt as though her heart was going to pound right out of her chest, either that or sink right down into her stomach. She felt pressure as everybody in the room watched them in anticipation. Unable to think, she practically leapt onto the tips of her toes, her hands firmly placed on the taller boy’s shoulders, and planted a kiss upon his cheek.
    Clemont’s entire face turned bright red at the unexpected gesture from Opal, and he could swear his glasses fogged up as he nervously placed his hand over the cheek Opal just kissed.
    Opal trembled with anxiety, in disbelief at what she had just done. Without even hearing what Clemont might say next, she ran away in embarrassment, running outside of the house.
    Clemont just continued standing at the center of the living room, completely dumbfounded by what just happened. “...Did…did she just…?”
    Bonnie threw her arms downward, and pouted at her older brother. “Jeez Clemont! Why didn’t you say something to her!?” She complained.
    Clemont snapped back to the present upon hearing Bonnie. He seemed mildly annoyed as he turned to face her. “Why did you push me into her!?” He retorted.
    Bonnie huffed a bit. “Don’t answer my question with another question, Clemont!” She argued back to him.
    Clemont looked at Bonnie, and folded his arms. “Bonnie…” He grumbled. “You can’t…you can’t just push me into every person you want me to date. That’s going to scare them away.” He said, rubbing between his eyebrows in irritation.
    Serena looked awkward, but decided to approach Clemont. “Wait, Clemont, it’s not entirely Bonnie’s fault.” She said to him.
    Clemont turned to Serena, looking confused. “...What do you mean?” He asked her, rubbing the back of his head.
    Serena sighed and looked at Clemont. “...I…It was my idea, not Bonnie’s.” She admit. “I thought it would be funny if you and Opalline ended up under the mistletoe together…but I didn’t really expect her to kiss and run…” She rubbed the back of her head.
    Clemont groaned in disbelief at Serena’s confession. “...Serena, you are almost fifteen. You know better.” He said. “...I’m going to go check on Opalline.” He said, walking to the door and stepping out.

Opal was outside, hiding at the side of the house and crying, her face in her knees. Her
    hat and shoulders had a bit of melted snow in them already, as it was still snowing outside.
    Clemont overheard Opal’s crying, and listened for her. When he found her, he carefully sat down next to her, and nervously placed a hand upon her shoulder.
    Opal flinched upon feeling the hand on her shoulder. She looked up, and glanced at Clemont. “...W…What do you want?” She asked, tears rolling down her cheeks.
    Clemont looked at Opal awkwardly, and rubbed the back of his head. “...Umm…” He sighed. “...Nothing in particular, I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” He answered.
    Opal looked at Clemont, and then looked down at the snow. She didn’t say anything, and just buried her face against her leg. “Hmmph…” She let out.
    Clemont thought for a moment, trying to figure out a way to provide comfort to the white-haired teen. “...Listen Opal. I…I don’t mind that you kissed me.” He said, blushing. “...Okay that came out wrong…what I mean is, I understand you were put on the spot. It’s like how I put you on the spot back in Slateport City about your real name, right?”
    Opal just blushed a bit, and wiped the tears off of her face with her sleeve. “...It’s a bit different than that…but at the same time, I guess it’s also quite the same too…” She said sheepishly.
    Clemont looked at Opal, and rubbed her back gently. “...Listen, you don’t have to do that again, and…I don’t expect you to date me or anything like that. It was just a kiss on the cheek, not the end of the world, right?” He said with a gentle smile.
    Opal blushed. Clemont had no idea how awkward he had made the situation with that statement, but at the same time, she was happy that he was trying to comfort her. However, she couldn’t bring herself to tell Clemont how she felt for him just yet. “...Thank you, Clemont.” She said, smiling gently.
    Clemont thought for a moment. “...I’m not usually the revenge type, but…Serena was the one who set that up back there.” He said. “...What do you say we give her a taste of her own medicine?” He asked.
    Opal couldn’t help but to giggle at Clemont’s goofy question. It just sounded silly coming from him. “...Sure. That sounds like a fun idea.” She agreed to the plan.
    Clemont stood up from where he sat, and reached his hands out to help Opal up. Once Opal took his hands, he carefully helped her up to her feet. “But who exactly should we have Serena wind up with…?”
    Opal grinned a bit. “You just make sure Serena ends up under the mistletoe, and you leave the other person to me.” She said with a wink.

Later on in the evening, Clemont and Serena were having a conversation. Clemont took a sip from the punch in his hand, and looked at Serena. “Yeah, Opal is fine now. But don’t ever do that again, Serena.” He said to her.
    Serena sighed, and nodded. “Right, I understand. I’m sorry for making things weird between you two back there.” She responded.
    Clemont smiled softly. “Hey, I’ll be right back, I’m going to look for Chespin so I can give him something to snack on.” He said, excusing himself from the conversation as he stepped away.
    About a minute later, Zoey approached Serena, and smiled at her. “Don’t think I didn’t see that back there. You plotted that whole thing, didn’t you?” She asked.
    Serena looked at Zoey, and smiled sheepishly. “...Yeah, you got me.” She said to Zoey. “I was hoping that maybe…Opal would tell Clemont how she really feels for him.” She said, rubbing the back of her head.
    Opal looked at Serena and Zoey, and giggled. “Well well well, it looks like that Serena and Zoey are under the mistletoe now!” Opal exclaimed, loud enough for all to hear.
    Zoey glanced upwards, then glanced at Serena, meeting her blue-eyed gaze. “...So we are.” She said to Serena.
    Serena felt a bit flustered as she realized the karma of her actions. She was sure Clemont had some involvement in this. “I…I guess we are.” She said nervously, and glanced over at Clemont.
    Clemont had a bit of a cheeky grin on his face as he met Serena’s gaze, as if to tell her ‘gotcha’, before taking a sip from his punch cup again.
    Serena looked back at Zoey again. “...It’s…just a kiss, right?” She said awkwardly as she looked at Zoey’s dark red eyes.
    Zoey smiled at Serena. “...Just a kiss.” She said, and leaned forward. She planted a tender kiss upon the blonde teen’s forehead. As she leaned back again, she winked at Serena, before walking away.
    Serena was a blushing mess. Never did she think that Clemont and Opal could be devious enough to dish her mistletoe plan right back at her. She quickly got away from the center of the living room now.
    Opal stood next Clemont, and looked at him. The two teens both shared a laugh about their little revenge scheme.

At sunset, Wanda walked into the center of the living room with her husband, Riley. Riley was a tall, stocky man with dark black hair. He was wearing a Santa Claus costume to match with his wife, including the hat. The two of them shared a brief kiss under the mistletoe.
    Wanda smiled as she looked at the younger Pokémon Trainers. “Okay everyone, I think it’s time to pass presents around.” She said.
    Upon hearing that, both Max and Bonnie excitedly ran over. The others giggled at them and followed them, Wanda, and Riley to the Christmas tree.
    Everybody started picking up the presents they brought, and exchanging them with one another. Among some of the presents included a Torchic doll for Bonnie from Clemont, a set of Poké Balls made of Apricorns from Opal to Wally, and more.
    Drew approached May with a small gift box, wrapped in purple paper and a bright red ribbon. “...I got you something special, May.” The green-haired teen stated, handing the box over to May.
    May smiled softly as she gently took the gift box. “Just to be sure, it’s for me and not for Beautifly this time, right?” She asked jokingly.
    Drew rolled his eyes. “Yes, of course, quit stalling and just open it.” He said, blushing ever so slightly.
    May giggled a little, and carefully tore open the present. She opened the box, and inside was a ribbon with a sun-shaped medallion, embedded with red gems. The ribbon tails were vertical striped with red and white. May looked at the ribbon in surprise. “This…this is…”
    Drew blushed faintly. “...It’s the fifth ribbon I won when I battled against you in a contest in Ecruteak City, back in the Johto region. I want you to have it.” He said.
    May looked at Drew. “But Drew, this is your most prized ribbon, isn’t it?” She asked him. “You loved showing this ribbon off more than anything, as it was at a contest with a Kimono Girl as a special judge!”
    Drew looked at May, and smiled faintly. “Yes, and I want you to have it now, May.” He said. “There’s something a bit more precious to me than that ribbon anyways.”
    May looked at Drew, a bit curious. “Oh? And what would that be?” She asked the green-haired teen.
    Drew laughed a little, and looked away with a grin. “Well…that’s the thing May. It’s a secret.” He answered with one eye open, looking at her.
    May looked at Drew, and pouted some. “Oh come on Drew, just tell me what it is!” She whined.
    Drew laughed, and shrugged. “I’m not telling you, May.” He responded simply, but firmly, with a cheeky smile.

As May continued trying to get Drew to tell her his secret, Opal couldn’t help but to giggle at the two of them. She approached Clemont with a somewhat large present. “Oh, I got you something that I thought you might like.” She said, blushing faintly as she handed it over.
    Clemont looked a bit surprised by the size of the gift. He started to open it up, and inside was a tool box, as well as some mechanical parts. He looked quite surprised by the gift, adjusting his glasses as if that would somehow help him confirm what he was seeing.
    Opal blushed a bit. “I remembered that you invent things. I don’t know much about any of these, so I hope that it’s something useful to you…” She said.
    Clemont looked at Opal, and smiled gleefully. “Are you kidding Opalline? This is amazing! I was running low on some of these things!” He exclaimed. “I love it! Thank you so much!” He exclaimed, and without thinking, pulled Opal into a hug.
    Opal squeaked a bit, surprised by the hug. “Umm…Clemont. The others are staring at us.” She said, blushing some.
    Clemont seemed to just realize what he was doing. His face flushed pink, and he let go of Opal, taking a step back. “S-Sorry! I just…I really appreciate the present, I got a little overwhelmed.” He said, rubbing the back of his head. “Actually, I didn’t forget about you.” He said, handing Opal a present wrapped in white paper and a red ribbon.
    Opal carefully took the present from Clemont, and started to open it. Inside of the box was a pink Poké Ball with a purple pattern on the bottom, and a darker pink circle on the top, just above the button.
    Clemont smiled at Opal, and rubbed the back of his head. “It's called a Dream Ball. I wasn't sure if you had one or not, but apparently it makes it easier to capture a Pokémon while it is sleeping.” He explained. “Though, I got it for you as sort of a way to encourage you to follow your dreams.”
    Opal looked up at Clemont, and smiled. “Thanks Clemont. It means a lot to me. I never even heard of this one though, where did you get it?” She asked.
    Clemont smiled a little, happy that Opal enjoyed the gift he got for her. “Well, I met a merchant from the Unova region in Mayville City, and she had one for sale.” He explained.
    Serena looked over at them. “You didn't tell me about that, Clemont.” The blonde teen said to her friend.
    Clemont looked at Serena, and rubbed the back of his head. “Sorry, I was worried you might accidentally tell Opalline about it.” He said sheepishly.
    Serena rolled her eyes just a bit, but smiled. “Okay, fair.” She said. “I probably would have asked her if she knew about it.”

Everybody continued to have a good time at the party for a couple hours after the gift exchange. Once it got late though, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Opal, Zoey, Max and May all decided to go to the Pokémon Center to get some rest, while Drew and Wally decided to stay the night at Wanda’s house to spend more time with their cousin.

Top Bottom