• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Liberators of Fate

Dungeon 75 - Everlasting
  • Navar

Professional Mudkip Lover
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. swampert
    2. chesnaught-apron
    3. lucario-mega
    Dungeon 75 - Everlasting

Although you think I cope

My head is filled with hope

Of some place other than here

Although you think I smile

Inside, all the while

I'm wondering about my destiny

I'm thinking about

All the things

I'd like to do

In my life

I'm a dreamer

A distant dreamer

Dreaming for hope

From today

There was nothing left but the empty darkness of the void. No sound, no smell, nothing. Then, there was something. Or someone, a Lucario, standing in the middle of it all. He trembled, looking around to try and find an exit.

A futile attempt by Lance. He groaned, before chains sprouted from the ground, wrapping themselves all around him. With a gasp, Lance looked down to see how strong the chains were. Too much, making him unable to lift a finger, let alone escape that prison.

"Number ten. Ah, yes, I never called you that, did I, vessel?"

In front of him was… Morgan. But he was different, taller, with a black armor so familiar that Lance shivered: Necrozma.

"I could have tried this, were the circumstances different." He smiled, a twisted, jagged smile, walking up to Lance and touching his chin with a hand. It was so cold to the touch. "...But, you could say, I'm not here anymore! That's true, I'm stuck inside that prison! But… you and I both know I'm never getting out of your mind, don't we, Lance Williams?"

Lance groaned again, unable to move. The coldness of the crystal was haunting, making him whine and try desperately to move, but the chains only got tighter with every attempt.

"I'm with you, forever. Don't you forget this."

Whatever that was, Lance didn't believe it, or rather, didn't want to believe it. Xerneas offered to help him move past this, and she could, she was strong! But Necrozma was still there, so did she fail?

"...All of us are with you."

Necrozma's voice changed, and so did his appearance. This time, he was possessing the body of an Aggron, who was barely holding together, melting away in front of Lance.

"You… aren't real." Lance muttered. "...You aren't."

"I know, but either way, you can't get us out of your mind. And that's why I won."

Lance gasped, seeing the Aggron fully melt, lava coating the void's floor in an instant. Unlike the coldness from before, this was hot. Yet, it didn't give him any pain.

"We're all your sins. And we will never let you go."

From the lava, multiple heads appeared. Aggron, Servine, Salazzle, and so many from when he was kidnapped. All his kills, there with him, reminding Lance that this was him. No matter how much he tried to hide it, he was a murderer.

"N-No, I—"

"Lance?"

He woke up with a gasp, clutching the sheets beneath him and panting. Lance struggled to catch his breath, everything around him slowing down almost to a halt.

"I-I'm here…" he said, looking to the side. He was on the top of their bunk bed, with Brian down on the floor, looking up at him.

"Nightmares again?"

"Y-Yes…" Lance sat down, breathing slowly. His body still trembled. His mind was still thinking about that nightmare. "...Brian, I want to ask you a question."

"Sure, no problem!" Brian forced himself to smile, then jumped on the bottom bed. "What's up?"

Before he asked, Lance wondered about the answer by himself. About change. It was something so scary, so daunting to think about, because change brought uncertainty into his life, and that was sickening. What if things could stay the way they were, forever?

Lance knew it wasn't possible, but it didn't hurt to dream about it. With a deep breath, he prepared for the question.

"Do you think I'm a murderer? Do you think… I can change?"

Silence. Deafening silence as Brian considered what he should answer. He knew Lance liked honesty, which should make it easier. It didn't.

"...Lance, you killed before. I can't say it was justified, or even excused."

Lance's heart clenched as he heard his brother's words. They cut through him, leaving behind a jagged wound that refused to heal. He was able to hold back the tears that threatened to spill, knowing Brian could see right through him. And it hurt even more because it was coming from his own brother.

"I… I see." Lance sank into his bead, a heavy sigh escaping him. The weight of his mistakes—his sins pressed upon him, suffocating his every thought. "I want to change, Brian. I know I was wrong, but… what if I can't? What if this is my very nature?"

From the bottom bed, Brian reached up, gently tapping the mattress above. His every movement carried with it a mix of frustration and compassion. "Listen, the mere fact that you're questioning yourself so much is the proof you need. Change isn't always straightforward, but your efforts are commendable, Lance. Your journey's hard, but it's not impossible."

"Oh?" Lance peeked his head down the bed, looking at his sibling with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, and wiggling his eyebrows. "Did I hear you right? You just said "commendable"? I didn't think you knew that word!"

Right after Lance finished talking, Brian's cheeks turned red, and he turned to face the wall. "...Shorty."

"We both know I'm almost your size now."

"Dork."

"Hm, but you're the one blushing and hiding." Lance quipped, playfully pointing at Brian's flushed cheeks and feigned attempt to cover his face.

Finally, Brian chuckled, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Alright, Shorty, but don't get too comfortable. You won this round, but the next one's on me!"

Lance smiled back at him, and his tail started wagging. "Thank you. I… I want to keep trying, Brian. We defended our world, but it's still not a perfect place. It won't ever be, but I still want to fight for it. The right way."

"Funny, because you write with both paws, so maybe it should be right-left way?" Brian grinned.

"...I hate you."

Brian stuck out his tongue. "I love you too, Shorty."

"Hm… I don't usually do this, but you deserve it." Lance jumped out of bed, stretching his arms, before turning around, with both arms extended… for a hug.

"Whoa. I think we might have a meteor shower today." Brian giggled, leaving his bed and giving Lance a tight hug.

"I'm… I'm happy to have you in my life."

Brian had the biggest smile possible. "Me too."

Their next step was leaving the room, walking down the familiar set of stairs. This time, no illusions, no weird dreams, just their home; the place where their adventure began. Lance smiled at the thought. However, he noticed a distinct lack of his other two teammates.

"Where are they?"

"I think they woke up early." Brian shrugged, walking towards the living room. As he found out while doing that, both Nick and Amelia were watching TV together.

With a smile, he waved at the two. "Good morning!"

"Hey, Champ!" Nick waved, standing up and walking up to his son, offering a paw. "How was the night? Hopefully your brother didn't make you the third wheel in your own house…"

Lance was already on the defensive, putting a paw to his chest. "What? I did no such thing!"

"He's just teasing you, sweetie." Amelia said, her voice laced with gentle amusement as she offered Lance an understanding smile. "I do hope you two had a nice night. All the traveling must have been exhausting."

"Oh, my brother? Well, he wasn't a bother, for sure!"

"Ah." Nick said, stepping away…

…And bursting into laughter. Seeing that, Brian had the same reaction, the two laughing at that pun together. So much that tears were forming. So much that it was getting hard to breathe. But it was fun.

Even Lance was enjoying this, in his own way, which was a small smile and crossed arms. Someone's excited.

Amelia had a laugh of her own, though not as big as the others. "Dear, I think you and Brian had about enough. It might be healthier to not laugh so much."

And so, Brian slowed down, touching his father's shoulders for balance. The Lucario stopped as well, only laughing slightly.

"A-Alright… I had my fun. So, about your night?"

"Pffft, don't worry, dad. We had a good night, nothing happened." Brian grinned, already adjusting his goggles. "And we'll have a great day, too! I just know it!"

"Well, nice to see you're optimistic as always." Lance smiled at him, before crossing his arms. "But seriously, where are Dex and Meggie? We all came here together."

"Your friends woke up early and left." Nick answered. "The Floatzel said something like "Yarr, I 'ave to get somethin' fer me mates, yarr", then he left."

Amelia raised a brow. "Good impression, but I like your regular voice better."

"I suppose we should go after them…" Lance muttered. His stomach roared. "...After breakfast."

"Aye!" Brian nodded.

After their meal, the brothers ventured outside, stepping into the familiar embrace of Thornwell. The town, once their home, remained unchanged in its comforting familiarity.

Lance surveyed the streets, noticing how there were subtle, yet noticeable alterations. Most of the stores had undergone renovations, a testament to Necrozma's attack before. Yet, the essence of Thornwell still lingered, clinging to what was known to its inhabitants.

And he was conflicted. On one hand, he yearned for change, to break free from all that trauma bubbling inside of him, to explore new territory. The prospect of new experiences enticed him, but it was nothing except a distant whisper of possibility.

Yet, amidst that desire, he wanted stability, to know things wouldn't change anymore. To… be with his friends, not worrying about anything else. It tugged at his heart.

…I know things can end, but they can begin as well. I know that, so why is it so hard?

As they strolled, their neighbors approached, engaging in small talk to which one or both of the brothers responded. Lance, however, seemed more introspective than usual, lost in contemplation. The journey they—all of them—had embarked upon had been nothing short of remarkable.

However, one nagging question still persisted within him: had he truly changed? Or was he still bound, shackled by the identity of the killer he used to be?

There was no time to answer that, as Brian touched his brother's arm to bring him back to reality.

"Wonder what Dex's getting us. What'd you think, Lance?"

"Hm… I don't want to say alcohol, but…"

Brian grumbled. "It's nice, but he overdoes it, like in Treasure Town."

"Indeed…"

More walking, and now they were in the center of the town, where most of the roads intersected. On one of the roads, Lance saw them. Three: Dex, Meggie… and James, that Typhlosion that helped him and joined his father's guild.

"Oi, Megs, Dex!" Brian waved, already running towards them.

"W-Wait." Lance muttered, following the Zoroark.

"Howdy, Pup, Goggles. Nice to see ye two." Dex grinned, pointing at James. "We were just talkin' to this guy, he had some great ideas fer vacation spots!"

"Hey." James smiled at the two. "It's been a while! Nice to see you're okay, and with a bigger team now!"

"Uncle James!" Brian went for a hug, enveloping the badger with his arms. "It's so good to see you!"

"H-Hello." Lance waved, not really feeling the need to hug him. Maybe just waving was for the best.

…No, he was a changed Pokémon now. And part of that change was being more affectionate. Lance walked up to James, giving him a hug.

"It's good to see you." Lance said. He could hear everyone's jaws dropping.

"W-Whoa. Pup! That ain't ye!"

"W-Weirdness aside, hi, darling." Meggie kissed Brian on the cheek. "What Dex said, we found a few good spots."

"...Vacation?" Lance blinked. They were still insisting on that?

"Like what?" Brian's ear twitched.

Her eyes sparkled. "Well, there's Overcast Village… Sunset Valley too. Oh, and I've heard about this place, Selenia!"

"Aye. I liked most of 'em. Kinda far away, though."

James nodded at them. "Well, I'll leave you guys to it. If you need anything, just go to the guild!"

And with that, he left.

"Okay, so!" Meggie clapped her hands. "There's a bunch of other places, but… I dunno, I liked these! What'd you guys think?"

Dex grinned. "Personally, I wanna check out Selenia. Didja know they call explorers mercenaries there? Crazy, but really fun!"

"Huh…" Brian smiled at the Floatzel. "Neat, guess the world's a lot different than we thought."

Lance, meanwhile, was quiet. Like usual, but… somehow, quieter. He was focused on the idea of them having a vacation. All of them, him included. Why? He was going to leave in just a few months, so why plan it all?

Spend my time with them, that's the obvious answer.

Did he deserve it? That wasn't a question anymore, the answer was "yes". Lance had a different concern: the inevitability of him leaving. If only things could stay that way forever, then he wouldn't have to worry about it ending, about anything changing.

He didn't want it to. Staying with his friends did wonders for his mental health, their presence was refreshing. Losing it all… Lance whined just thinking about it.

"Well, maybe we should try a vote! There's four of us, so it might end in a draw, but—" Brian heard the whine, looking at his brother. "Lance?"

"..."

It would end, inevitably. Lance couldn't accept that, never! His mind kicked into overdrive, and he did the most rational thing he could come up with: running away, towards the beach.

"Pup!"

"Lance!"

"Shorty!"

All three of his friends cried out, but he didn't listen, the only thing he heard was his own heart beating, each beat like a drum, ringing inside his head. Lance moved almost out of instinct, just trying to get to the beach as fast as possible.

Grass paved way to sand pressing against his feet, until Lance tripped, falling to his knees. He panted, clenching his fists on the sandy ground and letting all the tears fall. Why couldn't things just stay the way they were, forever?!

"H-Hey…" Brian's voice, and heavy footsteps; likely Dex's.

"Pup, what were ye thinkin'?! Runnin' off like that!"

"He was overwhelmed!" Meggie said, and though Lance didn't turn around, he knew she was floating, much like always.

Lance's voice trembled, but no words came out, his gaze was fixed on the sand beneath him. The grains felt abrasive against his skin, but it didn't matter in that moment, as even their rough touch brought a comfort, however odd, a place where he could unleash all his emotions.

"I… I don't want to go." Lance confessed, his words barely audible. Each syllable carried his full apprehension.

Brian leaned closer, concern etching across his face as he knelt beside his brother, placing a gentle paw on Lance's shoulder. "What do you mean? C'mon, you can talk to us!

"...I think I get what Pup's talkin' about." Dex raised his head, giving them a look of understanding what was met with a gaze from Brian. "Travelin' was fun, but he's worried about leavin' to work fer the king."

"H-He's right." Lance inhaled deeply, his chest rising and falling with the weight of admission. Slowly, he exhaled, the words starting to spill out. "...It's been wonderful. I know I'll have to go, but I don't want to. I wish things would continue the way they are. I don't want them to change. I wish we could just… stay like this forever. It's not bad to wish for that, is it?"

Meggie floated closer, her presence casting a comforting, yet ethereal glow upon Lance's downcast face. She placed a hand gently under his chin, lifting his gaze to meet hers. "Lance… I wanna tell you something that's obvious, but it needs to be said. The more things change, the more they stay the same."

She took a small pause, letting Lance sink her words in. "Our bonds we forged will stay, and the memories too. They anchor us, while we drift in a sea of change."

Holy hell, she sounds so pretty when she talks like that… Brian gulped, keeping that thought to himself. After all, the moment was to comfort Lance.

"She's right…" Brian settled down next to his smile, a tender smile resting on his snout. "Lance, change is terrifying! Daunting! We don't know what the future—or even tomorrow will be like! sat down next to his brother, smiling at him. "And it's scary! We all know that! Change is terrifying. The future is terrifying! None of us knows what tomorrow will be like!"

Dex crossed his arms, looking at the waves. They helped him calm down a little. "Even if yer leavin', things aren't like last time. Fer starters, I'm here now. An' we know yer gonna be back."

"Nothing… is forever, Shor—Lance." Brian admitted, ears drooping. He held his mane up, so it wouldn't touch the sand. "...And you know that. I know it's scary, but it's not over for us. We'll still have many adventures in the future! None of us is leaving, or… ending things! We'll still be around! Hell, we might kick another God's ass if we need to!"

Everyone had different words to say to him, but they all carried the same message, that worrying so much wouldn't do him any good. Lance knew all that, but the irrational part of him didn't want to accept it. But… Lance was budging the more they talked to him.

"We're all yer mates. An' mates stick out fer each other." Dex turned around, offering a fist.

Before he did anything, Lance stood up, removing the sand in his arms… albeit slowly. Once he was done, he looked at the Floatzel.

"We do, don't we…?" Lance bumped fists with Dex, managing a smile. If he could hold them all in his paws—all the ones he loved, all those dear friends, then things would be a lot better.

Instead, he did his best to hug the three, pulling each one closer. "Thank you."

Needless to say, the reaction was overblown. The three exchanged glances at each other, gasping in shock because Lance initiated a group hug. However, there was no complaint; they returned the embrace eagerly.

"...This is a surprise, for sure." Meggie shivered, feeling the warmth of Lance's embrace.

"Errr, Pup, ye feelin' okay? Not that I'm complainin' o' anything, but yer not usually the touchy-feely type o' guy."

"It's really gonna rain meteors today, huh?" Brian blinked, embracing his sibling even further. "...Thanks."

"Well, you're my friends, and I love you guys. But don't get used to it, it's a special occasion." Lance grinned, before pulling away from the three. He almost wanted to cover himself with the cloak he wore, but it wouldn't work. "Consider this a sign of my appreciation."

Dex rubbed the back of his head, turning to the ocean again. "If I'm bein' honest, we could all use a little appreciation in our lives."

"...We all learned a lot." Brian smiled, embracing Meggie. "I never knew I could be a hero, but I am now! Well, I might not be in the future… I kinda like this, no world-ending threats, just peace, y'know?"

Lance arched an eyebrow, taking a few steps forward until his feet were submerged in the gentle caress of the water. "...So you're telling me you're not scared of the changes we'll go through? You know they're coming, but you're not scared at all?"

"It's… kinda complicated." Brian shrugged, a conflicted expression crossing his face. "Sorta, but not so much. I'm kinda excited and nervous at the same time, y'know?"

"Fear of the unknown, or really, of what the future holds… is natural, Lance. Kinda hard—or pretty much impossible not to worry." Meggie let out a heartfelt sigh, resting her head against Brian's arm. Her voice carried a touch of vulnerability. "Here's the kicker: as long as we stick together, supporting each other, I think we can overcome anything that comes our way."

"We ain't sayin' we ain't scared, Pup. 'Cause fear's a natural part of our lives. But ye gave one heck of a speech 'bout the strength o' our bonds. I'd put yer trust in 'em." Dex stretched his arms, a hearty laugh escaping him. It was weird that, after so many years, he finally found true friends—friends that accepted him for who he was.

"I… I see." Lance cleared his throat. There was something he could do to show Dex appreciation for all the help in saving the world. It was a tad unorthodox, and they—especially Dex—would never let him hear the end of it, but so was hugging them. Oh, what the hell!

Lance turned around, raising his head to meet Dex's gaze. Though the Floatzel stood taller than him, Lance didn't require any assistance for this simple act. With each step, Lance closed the distance, focusing solely on Dex's lips.

…And in an audacious move, he planted a kiss there. The gesture was fleeting, yet tender, and left the room filled with stunned silence, their jaws collectively dropping. Dex, in particular, stared back at Lance, eyes widening to their utmost limits.

"Hmmm?!" Dex didn't say a word, allowing the moment to unfold completely. He also let it linger for a few more seconds. The impact of that brief exchange remained, and he knew it would stay that way for a little longer.

As Lance finally pulled away, wiping off a trace of drool, he offered a playful disclaimer. "...Don't get used to it, I just feel a lot more affectionate today."

"O-Okay, first, what the fuck?! Secondly… what the actual fuck?!" Dex blinked, and for once, he blushed, his face turning a deep shade of red. "Pup!"

"...Play your cards right, and who knows what might happen?" Lance shrugged. "It's not impossible, I'll tell you that."

Meggie looked at her boyfriend with a smug grin. "Told ya. Now you owe me money."

"Aw, damn." Brian muttered. "...Guess you won the bet."

"W-Well, that sure was something." Dex smiled sheepishly.

Meggie giggled to herself. "Well, it was. And… I have some news, because we both woke up earlier."

"R-right! Yer folks said they were makin' a party, it might be ready now."

"...Uncle Magnus, he's gonna whip up the cake, isn't he?" Brian mused aloud, his stomach growling with anticipation.

"I sure hope so. His culinary skills are second to none." Lance's tail started wagging.

"Well, then what are we waitin' for?!" Brian smiled, rubbing his paws together. "I'm hungry, and we gotta go!"

It wasn't even up for a vote, the team simply left the beach, heading to the siblings' house for their party. Excitement and anticipation filled their hearts as they walked, already looking forward to all the food and celebrations that awaited them.

Lance took one look back at the beach, letting out a heavy sigh to himself. His friends helped deal with changes, and although he knew what they meant, it was hard to accept it. However, he could still try anyway.

It was noon already, and the sun continued to burn brightly, but not as much as when they were in Treasure Town. For now, they were more comfortable with it, though the thick coat of fur—and Meggie's icy body—made it hard to enjoy the heat.

"...I miss the winter." Lance grumbled, knocking on the door. Did he need to? No, but it was respectful of him to knock.

"Note to self: pick somewhere cold fer our vacation." Dex grinned, seemingly getting over the kiss from before.

"More like a note to everyone…" Brian rolled his eyes.

The door opened, and they all heard a thunderous laugh coming from the Pokémon—the large Swampert that couldn't hurt a bug was standing in front of them.

"Hah! Hey, kids! Long time no see!" Shiron grinned, bumping fists with each one of them. "Heard you got through some nasty stuff at the kingdom…"

"Sup, mister Fin." Dex gave a thumbs up to his fellow water-type. "Pretty much! Real nasty, wouldn't recommend."

Brian went in for a hug, and Lance followed suit. Shiron was taller than them both, and was able to give the two a hug at the same time.

"Always a pleasure seeing you, uncle!"

"Yes," Lance added with a smile on his face.

"It's good to see another human." Meggie nodded.

Shiron looked at the Froslass and nodded back at her, grinning. "Same here! Hope you're enjoying your life here, I know it can take a while to get used to it…"

He tapped his belly. "Now, I know I'm hungry, what about you, kids?"

"For uncle Magnus' food? Always!" Brian was drooling, though he cleaned it.

"Is it really that good…?" Meggie tilted her head. "Well, now I'm curious!"

Dex was drooling too. "It better be great!"

"Hah! Lemme assure you two… Cupcake is the best baker in the world! That's for sure!"

"Cupcake…?"

Brian flicked his ear. "Don't worry, Megs. It's just his nickname for uncle Magnus."

And now Shiron was drooling too. Before anyone else could drown in it, they entered the house, heading to the dining room as their first and main destination.

"They redecorated it." Lance said. "And really fast, too."

A large, rectangular table stood in the center of the room, adorned with a white tablecloth and elegant silverware, organized next to the plates. To add to the decoration, a centerpiece of flowers and candles was put in the middle of the table.

"It was my idea." Amelia said. She sat at one of the tables, with Nick by her side. They both enjoyed a glass of wine. "We had to set things up quickly, but I hope it's to your liking!"

Nick raised the glass. "We had help."

"Flattering, Nick." Shiron smiled, sitting down. "I hope you guys like sweets… not that anyone's sweeter than my Cupcake~"

Dex chuckled, taking a seat. "As far as presentation goes, I'm likin' it."

"So we just wait." Lance sat next to Dex, seeing the Floatzel blush slightly. "...Ease up, big guy."

Meggie and Brian sat last, side by side, and then waited for the food to arrive. And then the smell hit their nostrils.

Rich, warm, and even comforting. A sweet aroma that Meggie and Dex found to be almost intoxicating. They each took deep breaths, the scent enveloping all their senses, making their mouth water in sheer anticipation. Distinct, with notes of cocoa, vanilla and butter blending together in an incredible medley. The entire smell was like a warm hug from a dear friend.

"I... I wanna have whatever that is." Dex said, sniffing more of that delectable smell.

"H-Here it is!" Said a boisterous voice, coming from the kitchen.

A Chesnaught walked out, wearing an apron that used to be white, but was stained with cocoa powder. He was also holding a large plate with an even larger cake on it.

"Ta-da~!" Magnus said, smiling.

The chocolate cake stood proud, showing a rich, moist texture that promised to melt inside their mouths. Its color was deep and dark, inviting and hinting at the indulgence inside. As for the frosting, it was a creamy chocolate ganache that swirled around the cake smoothly, even having a glossy sheen to draw their eyes in.

Magnus already started taking slices of the cake, putting one in Shiron's plate… and kissing him on the cheek. "For you, sunshine!"

"Aw, shucks… I really feel loved when you say those things!" Shiron kissed him back, before grabbing a fork and a knife to eat.

"Let's see what this is all about…" Meggie said, almost whispering, and taking a bite. The tenderness of the cake exploded in her mouth, and she instantly smiled, only thinking about how good the cake tasted.

Dex did the same thing… and had the same reaction, almost choking from the sudden surge of sweetness inside his mouth. His taste buds exploded with delight, like he was tasting a piece of paradise itself. He took another bite, and the pleasure doubled! Dex let out a small sigh of pure satisfaction.

"Mister Fin... ye were right, yer husband makes excellent food!"

Shiron just grinned. "He does, doesn't he? Like I said, Cupcake's the best!"

"H-Hey, don't go around doing that! It's k-kinda embarrassing…" Magnus looked down, resting his head on Shiron's arm. "...B-But thanks. You're wonderful too. I did my best here."

"Yer best? Mister Apron, yer best be... I dunno, the bestest best!" Dex said, puffing out his chest. He was too proud of that.

"...Interesting friends you got there, Lance." Magnus smiled a little.

"See? I knew I had to be your wingmon." Nick grinned in return. "I knew you'd be a good couple."

Lance ate his cake in silence, but couldn't help himself, he chuckled. "Uncle Magnus, don't ever change. You're too sweet."

"I picked the best husband!" Shiron smiled again, kissing Magnus on the cheek. It made the large Chesnaught blush some more. "Well, kids, what was the mission all about? I wanna know!"

Nick nodded. "We never met a legendary like Necrozma, but we had our fair share of encounters."

"...It was a rough fight." Lance said after a sigh. "If we weren't all there, I doubt there was any shot of winning."

At the same time, the subject brought Xerneas' proposal to the surface. Lance still didn't know what to make of it, and he didn't even talk to the others about it. Time was running out, and he had to tell them about it, sooner or later. Probably sooner.

"Bein' honest, the worst thing was them dreams. Man, I had a cute boyfriend in them!" Dex put a paw to his chest, laughing to himself. His tone wasn't serious at all. "But really, talk 'bout a hard-ass fight. I wasn't used to it!"

"...I doubt any of us was." Meggie sighed, eating more of the cake. It was so good, and distracted from talking about Necrozma. Especially when they were finally at peace. Which did beg the question of what she was going to do now.

Hearing all them laughing, playing around and eating didn't help her come up with an answer, but it did make her smile; she could figure it out when the time was right.

"Dex…? I think we can try that speech we planned before. Nothing wrong with that, right?"

"Hm? Oh, gotcha, Popsicle!" Dex stuffed another slice of cake—Magnus did make a lot, more than enough for all of them—and stood up, smiling. "Gotcha, gotcha! I'm ready!"

Lance held a knife in hand, cutting the cake into tinier slices. "A speech?"

"Yer not the only one that can make 'em, Pup."

"Well, it's always nice to hear what your friends have to say." Nick replied.

Meggie stood up and cleared her throat, looking around the room, but more specifically, at Lance and Brian. Once she started to speak, her voice rang out clearly.

"I just wanna say I'm very grateful to have found you guys. Look, I was tossed here! No memories, no idea who I was—" she stopped to sigh, but kept a smile up. "...But I know now. I'm Meggie, a member of team Liberators, and I'll always be. You two welcomed me with open arms, and now I belong somewhere."

Once again, Meggie stopped, her eyes starting to tear up. "You're family—Brian's my boyfriend! I cherish you guys so, so much! We share our struggles and our triumphs. No matter what, we'll always have each other's backs. And, Brian? I love you."

Lance listened to it, being overtaken by that urge to hug her, but he had a feeling the speech wasn't over yet. All he could do was nod.

"Megs…" Brian nodded, sniffling and smiling. "I love you too."

Dex nodded in agreement, looking at the three with shining eyes. "Same 'ere, Popsicle, same 'ere. I didn't think I'd ever find ma—friends like y'all, but I did, and I'm glad. Every moment is an adventure!"

There was a small moment of silence, before Dex smiled again, and his tails wagged. "We ain't done. We'll have challenges ahead, an' we'll get through all o' them. Together."

Hearing it all filled Lance with a weird feeling. Pride, happiness? Fulfillment? All of them? If he had them, his friends, he could surpass anything and anyone.

"Well said." Nick started clapping, and everyone followed suit, with Shiron whistling at the team.

"Way to go, kids! That's how you build lasting friendships!" The Swampert said.

With that in mind, the rest of the party was fairly simple. After giving out that speech, Meggie and Dax sat down, ready to enjoy their friends' company once more. All they wanted to do was chat and eat, and they did just that.

The party was over, and it was time to clean everything up. Normally, Lance would offer himself to help with such a task, but he was stopped by his father, who insisted on doing that part. In fact, none of the adults in the room accepted team Liberators' help, they wanted the group to relax.

Which gave Lance the perfect opportunity to call a meeting with his friends, inside his room. The team climbed up the stairs, and then entered the room.

"Well… I do feel a little important when I ask for a meeting." Lance leaned against a wall, arms crossed as he looked at the others. "...But I have the feeling I'm about to get a lecture."

Meggie pulled a chair—luckily, the room had two of them, so Dex sat on the other one—sighing because she knew what this was all about. That kind of meeting.

"Ye do look like yer the authority figure 'ere, Pup."

Brian grinned, jumping into his bed and stretching his arms. "I'll have you know I led this team pretty well, if I do say so myself!"

"Yes… I liked the speech, and I suppose we are family…" Lance muttered with a sigh. His shoulders never felt this heavy. "...Yet, I keep hiding things from you. This ends today. Because—"

"We know about Xerneas." Brian blurted out. "...Megs told us."

"We were kinda waitin' fer ye to tell us." Dex shrugged, then he sighed. Hiding things was bad, more often than not. But Brian's decision to wait? He didn't know if that was bad or not.

Lance stared, not quite sure what he should say in return. Complain about Meggie? No, she was right, and he knew that.

"Well, that does make things easier. I apologize for keeping it a secret, but yes, it's something we need to discuss."

Then, he put a paw in his arm, rubbing it up and down. "...Now, like I said, I have many regrets. I promise I'm not keeping secrets anymore."

"Good words, Pup. I—" Dex took a look around, then walked to a bookshelf nearby. "...Goggles was right. Yer a big nerd."

"Well, it's a good hobby, I suppose." Lance rolled his eyes. "...Anyway, about Xerneas, and what she told us."

Brian moved around the bed, holding a burp. "Yeah, something about a bridge?"

Well, no better time to talk about it than the present. Lance would have a lot of time to himself in order to plan this, but for now, he needed his team's blessing.

"Yes, she wants our help to return to the world. To talk with mortals, and maybe… I suppose she wants to understand us." Lance said, whining a little. "After Necrozma's attack, I believe we can't be on our own, but we can't do things his way either."

Meggie raised an arm. "I think that, somewhere along the way, we can find a compromise. A way to do things together."

"Not gonna lie… I didn't expect y'all to say something like that." Dex rubbed the back of his head, sitting again. "But yer talkin' about literal gods. Can we trust her?"

While they talked, Brian took a moment to consider. Xerneas helped them all, so yes, she did seem trustworthy.

"I think so," he said. "If she's willing to work with us, I'd say we should be more than willing to do the same."

Lance closed his eyes, sighing, before he opened them again. "It's not easy, and I'll admit, that's part of why I was so scared of change. I don't know if we can do this."

"We literally had an entire speech about stickin' together, Pup." Now it was Dex that rolled his eyes, grumbling.

"I know, I know…" Lance covered his face with a paw.

Speech or not, doing something so big was hard, and it would take an incredible amount of effort, as well as time, something he wouldn't have once Edgar called him again.

"Well, I'm just gonna say this: I'm up for it." Brian said, moving to the side so he could see them. "Or, should I say… I'm down for it."

They heard rumbling laughter coming from outside. Knowing it was for the best, the team ignored it.

"Still, ye gotta have a plan, Pup."

"...I do, yes. Brace yourselves, because, as you all know, I like to be dramatic."

Lance clapped his paws together, before flicking his cloak to the side. It was way too dramatic, but he was having fun with it, and that was what really mattered to him. He could see everyone else staring at him.

"Ahem… I want to make a city."

First, silence reigned inside the room. Then, the other members of the team continued to stare at Lance, still quiet, as if they waited for him to say anything else.

Brian broke the silence. "...Uh, what's the punchline for this joke? There is one, right?"

"Pup, ye can't be serious. A whole-ass city?"

Even Meggie, who knew about Xerneas' conversation, couldn't believe it. "I… I gotta say, I'm surprised. Intrigued, but surprised. Mostly the latter. Are you serious?"

I was sure they would react this way. Lance folded his paws behind his back, walking in circles around the room. "I am very serious. Obviously, a project of this magnitude can't be done in the blink of an eye. I'll admit it's mostly an idea, but I'd still like you to listen to it."

Brian sat on the bed, paying more attention to what his brother was saying. "Go on."

Well, where can I start…?

Xerneas had good ideas. Great, even. Restore connection between her and the mortals, and so, stop others like Necrozma from showing up.

"A city—a conglomerate where we can be a beacon of hope, to prove that a new way of life, in unison, is possible." Lance said, stopping in his tracks to look at the three. That was their answer to this kind of conflict… but pulling it off would change the entire world.

"...See, saving the world was the easy part. Changing it so we can live a better life? That will be the real fight." Lance said. "And I'm just one Lucario with an incredible amount of trauma. I can't do it alone, I never could."

"Ye want our help."

Lance's ears twitched, and he looked at Dex with the softest expression the Floatzel had ever seen him have. "Of course I do. Like you said, we're family. I could not hope for anyone else to help me."

Regardless of help, it was very complicated. Meggie nodded, mostly to herself, absorbing all the information she could about this. "Well, I doubt you're gonna do that now, right?"

Brian shrugged. "Yup, it's pointless to start now. We're still sixteen! Or… seventeen in a few months. Still, we don't have the power, or even the influence, to do it now."

"Both of you are right." Lance nodded, turning his attention to Dex. "And what do you think? I still want to hear your opinion on this matter."

"Aye, ye want me opinion? Gotcha, Pup, but like ye said, be prepared."

To start off, Dex clapped, then grumbled a bit to himself. To be entirely honest, he had no idea how a city was made. "I dunno anything 'bout laws an' all that fancy stuff. That's all on ye, Pup. But… I do know about us common 'mon."

He paused, sighing. "Listen, we like to feel safe. I doubt many 'mons would follow ye around, not unless you really manage to convince 'em yer city's better."

"In other words, I need to show proof…" Lance put a paw in front of his face, grimacing. "...I suppose it's a bit of an utopic dream."

Brian stood up, touching his brother's shoulder. "Hey, Shorty. A dream's a dream. You know what uncle says, right? Sometimes, dreams are really painful…"

"...And sometimes they get you really fired up." Lance said, a tint of red in his face. "Uncle sure is cheesy…"

"God, yer family is just full o' speeches, ain't it? First, the no reward thing, now this here…"

Meggie giggled a little. "Well, you gotta admit the no reward speech is pretty inspiring!"

"...It kinda is, yeah. Nothing wrong with it."

Lance cleared his throat. "Cheesiness aside, I see where Dex is coming from."

"Heh! 'Course ye do!"

"...It's utopic, but I suppose this is what I want. I failed the world many, many times. The least I can do is try to change it."

Lance clutched his chest tightly. "I don't want to be Necrozma. Him and I are very similar, but his ideals, his ways—they're nothing like mine."

"Yer just... yerself, Pup. That's all we could ever hope to be."

"And I will be." Lance looked away, his expression turning somber. "...Xerneas mentioned that I'll need to keep seeing her, because apparently, I still have a bit of him in me. But don't worry, she's helping out."

Brian huffed, shaking his head. "...I'll give you this, at least you told us. It's not bad, is it?"

"That nightmare today was related to it, but all things considered, I'm better!" Lance said, though he didn't sound sure. "...I think."

"Ye damn better. After all the trouble we went to save yer sorry ass, ye better be okay."

Lance raised a finger, but then lowered it. "...Well, when you say it like that, I can see your point."

"So, what's the plan, exactly? You seriously can't expect me to believe you have the entire planning of a city in that big head of yours, Shorty."

This time, Lance didn't reply, because he didn't have an answer. It was laughable, and he laughed. Until he sat in Brian's bed to wipe the tear away, still chuckling somewhat.

"H-Hah! You're right, I don't have a plan! Nothing… well, except for one thing, but later." Lance crossed his arms again. "Still, I want to give this a shot when I can. When I do, will you all help me?"

"When the time comes, yeah." Meggie smiled at him. "...But really, don't think about that right now."

Lance nodded, slowly. "Fair enough, however, I will share a bit of information. It's… admittedly a prototype, but I have one idea for how to name this city. I want to call it… Lux."

"Interesting name, where did you get it from?" Brian asked.

"Well, it came from luxury, but I figured cutting a part of it would sound a lot less pretentious—"

"Nerd."

"Maybe we shoulda sticked with the vacation plans…" Dex said, after a chuckle.

Brian, hearing that, smiled again. "Y'know what? That's a great idea! Where are we going? I kinda wanna go somewhere cold, or with good food."

"Well… I don't actually know. Hm…" Lance scratched his head. "Sunset Valley sounds like a good place to visit. I don't know why, but I feel great things coming from that place."

"It's an island, pretty big from what I've heard." Dex added with a shrug. "Kinda far away, though."

He paused, considering what he knew. "...Actually, that sounds fun. I think there's a beach. There ain't nothing like the sound o' waves crashin' against the shore. heh, I could spend hours just swimmin' in the ocean!"

Meggie chimed in, floating above Brian. "The other places have cities! And I dunno, there's just a lotta culture, history and food to explore! And I dunno, we could shop!"

"Hm… I dunno, not really feelin' it." Brian furrowed his brows. "What if we go on a road trip? Maybe we can stop at whatever town sounds interesting! Like our own little adventure!"

Lance nodded thoughtfully. "All good ideas. Personally, I'm with Dex here, but all the options sound good."

"Nobody's sayin' we can't do all of 'em." Dex grinned.

Excitement grew in their eyes as they realized it—they could go to more than one place!

…But not all of them. Lance sighed. "We won't have time to visit all of them in three months. We should pick at least two places to visit."

"Perfect." Meggie clapped her hands, before hugging Brian's mane. "Oh, this is gonna be great! I can't wait to go on this trip!"

Interesting, I started this by talking about a dream, but now we're all planning a trip… Lance smiled at his friends. "Well, you're lucky. I love planning. If you let me have my way, I'll build the best itinerary I can think of."

Brian chuckled a little. "We can always count on you to be as nerdy as possible, even when we're about to go on vacation!"

Well, they could spend the rest of the afternoon doing that, and Lance wouldn't complain one bit. What better use of his time than figuring out where to take his friends?

"Alright, everyone, alright." Lance walked to a table, opening a drawer and picking a notebook inside it. "This is where I truly shine. And, like Brian said, I am a nerd."

With a pencil in paw, Lance and the rest of the team prepared to plan their trip.

Once evening had arrived, the team was called for, as Nick put it, "movie night". Of course, they agreed to it, taking seats inside the living room—mostly on the floor—and preparing all the popcorn they had in store to watch the movie.

They all gathered around the TV, as Nick inserted the tape into the player, pressing play before settling onto the couch, his tail brushing against the sofa. As the screen flickered to life, they leaned closer, excited for the movie to start.

"Y'know, can ye imagine if we got famous enough fer someone to make a movie outta our adventures?" Dex grabbed a handful of popcorn, munching on it.

"Having seen some of the, ahem, fiction about my team…" Nick shivered slightly. "...I can assure you it's nothing interesting."

Amelia held a giggle. "You know you'll have to show them to me someday, don't you?"

"Shhh, it's starting!" Brian grumbled, trying to pay attention to the screen.

Lance was as quiet and introspective as usual. It's not that he didn't want to watch it, but at that moment, he could only think about taking a few minutes to himself. With everyone laughing at that strange romcom, he needed a distraction, a reason to walk away.

Or—and that was unexpected—he could just tell them the truth.

"I… I'd like to go out. I want to go out for a walk, over the hill. You know the one, father."

Nick flicked an ear. "That one? Go ahead! Don't need to tell me this!"

"Hm… I'm gonna trust you on this one, Shorty." Brian waved his brother goodbye, but watched him leave the room, and then the house.

"Pup's gonna be okay, right?" Dex said after swallowing a large chunk of popcorn.

Meggie crossed her arms. "...I don't think it'd be a bad thing to follow him."

"Hm…" Nick looked at them, giving a slight nod. "He's out for a walk, but it wouldn't hurt. Go."

Every member of the team understood what they needed to do, exchanging glances and silently affirming their decision. Without any further hesitation, they left the house.

Lance trudged along the bustling streets, purposefully trying to avoid engaging in the casual conversations that the neighbors and shop owners attempted to have with him. He did so by resorting to mere waves, nods, or even changing his direction.

As he climbed up the hill, each step became burdened, weighted with a growing sense of unease. This particular spot held some significance, albeit not quite as much as the beach did. Still, why did the prospect of visiting it feel so arduous? Doubt crept into his mind, but he knew he had to keep going anyway.

Undeterred by the wind that whipped around him, causing his cloak to billow in the air, Lance pressed onward with unyielding determination. Every few steps, a sigh escaped his snout, his ears twitching slightly in response. Despite all of this, Lance persevered, ascending higher and higher.

"I knew I made the right decision, this view is beautiful…"

Evening had settled in, casting an obsidian veil overhead, adorned with the radiant glimmer of countless stars.

A soft whisper escaped his lips, and he found himself smiling at the view unfolding in front of his eyes. "...This is the world I fought so hard to save. This is my reward. Things do change, they change all the time."

And that was okay. Change was a part of life.

Lance's gaze shifted to his outstretched paw, seeing his fingers slowly curl, closing the paw. "Sometimes I wonder about my destiny, about what I should do. I… I want to change, too."

It all began with a burning desire, a dream to explore the world and lend a helping paw to those in need. Along the way, Lance found himself entangled in a web of conspiracies, facing the threat of losing himself… and nearly witnessing the world being plunged into chaos. Yet, against all those odds, he and his friends triumphed.

"No matter how much things changed, we triumphed. Again and again, and… I believe we'll continue to do so." Lance opened his paw, his gaze fixed on it. A small, purple glow of aura emanated from it.

"Isn't if funny, Scar? You were there when the color changed. I never really cared about it. It didn't mean anything."

Lance thought that way for a long time. Now, with a different kind of awareness, maybe he could reevaluate.

"I know what it means now." Lance let the aura dissipate and sighed. "Transformation, and my pursuit of growth. That's what the purple color means."

For some reason, that was oddly comforting. Lance even chuckled to himself when he noticed that. He looked up at the sky again, admiring the view.

"Ah… I should have called them over. They would have loved this view." Lance muttered to himself, rubbing his chin in thought. He continued to gaze at the breathtaking view, lost in his thoughts about his friends.

Just as he contemplated whether it was too late, a voice broke through the silence.

"Heeeeeey!"

A familiar voice called out from behind him, getting Lance's attention and making him turn around, seeing Brian waving an arm, Meggie grabbing his other one, while Dex just grinned at him.

"Ye ain't gonna get rid o' us so easily, Pup!" Dex sported his trademark grin, his eyes wandering to the sky and a whistle escaping him. "Oh, now that's a good sight."

Meggie smiled softly, waving at the Lucario. "Well… we've managed to track you down, what's up?"

Brian grinned. "I had a hunch we'd find you here, or maybe at the beach. You really love these spots, don't ya? Remember when we raced to the top?"

His friends followed him. Again. Lance couldn't help but smile at that, especially Brian's comment. "If I remember correctly, which I do, I happened to win that race."

As Brian's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, he shifted his gaze towards the hillside. The grass swayed gently in the breeze, illuminated by the stars in the sky. Now he knew why his brother chose this spot of all places.

"Well, why'd you come here, anyway, Lance?" Meggie tilted her head to the side, though the mesmerizing view still caught her. "...Apart from that."

"I needed a moment to myself, to really think about… well, everything." Lance smiled. "And at this time of the day, it does give a nice view, don't you think?"

"Aye, aye. It looks incredible." Dex beamed, drinking in the beauty of their surroundings. After all the trials they faced, this moment of peace was well-deserved.

"...So I take it you're feeling better now, Lance?" Brian stepped closer to the hill's peak, gazing at the serene location. No structures were found there, making it an even better place to chill. "It's very peaceful."

Meggie gasped to herself, her eyes sparkling with an idea that matched the tranquility of their surroundings. "I know! Why don't we take some time to just, y'know, relax here? If Lance's here for this, I don't see why we shouldn't do the same thing, and it could be fun!"

"Hm… I'd like that." Lance smiled at them again. His anxiety from before didn't seem to show up at all, not even as a passing thought. Right there, in that moment, Lance was at peace.

So, the four stood together, looking at the beautiful sky. The stars remained in place, but a few of them flickered. Dex caught sight of a shooting star, in particular.

"...Heh, guess it ain't a bother, after all." Dex said to them, grinning as wide as he could, and crossing his arms.

Brian moved his head to the side, seeing Meggie grabbing his hand and smiling at him.

"Thanks, Brian, for everything. I'm a human… and a Pokémon. Both at once, and that's just the way I like it."

He had that same grin, rubbing Meggie's head with his other arm, before setting his sights on the stars again. "Goodnight, world! We did our best! And we'll keep doing our best! Today, tomorrow, and forever!"

"Heh." Lance smiled like he never did before, a toothy smile, showing off all his fangs, while his tail wagged like crazy.

He raised a paw in the air, as if trying to grab one of the stars. "My bonds with you will never shatter again, and I will find my redemption. No matter how long it takes, I'll be fine again. Because… I have all of you."

And that was all he could ever hope for.
    Starry_scene_1.png

(Art by NOISe#4268)

The End

A/N: And... well, this is it, everyone. The end of the fic, the end of their adventures. It's all over now. It's been... one hell of a ride. Two years! I wrote this fic for two whole years, and then a few more months! When I first posted this, I didn't think I'd get so attached to the characters, much less that I'd ever finish this little project. I won't lie, there were times I wanted to quit, times I thought I wasn't good enough of a writer to keep doing it. Frankly, even if those thoughts are more or less controlled now, there's still a few times where they return. I doubt they'll ever truly leave me, but still, I'm better now than before.

My point is: I did it! I wrote a story and finished it! And over these two years, I had a blast writing this story, thinking about the characters, their struggles, their wins, their losses, everything. I know this story isn't the best one in the world, completely flawless. Nah, I'm well aware of my limitations, that I could've done better here and there. But still... I like what I have. I liked writing this story, and I'm proud of myself for finishing it.

I didn't do it alone, of course. Throughout these two years, I met many people, made many friends, some of which I... sadly lost contact with, but friends that helped me nonetheless. To them, and to everyone that helped me during this journey, I can only say two words: thank you.

Okay, maybe a few more words. To all the people that betaed this for me, to all the readers that sent reviews, to all my followers, to everyone that favorited this story... thank you, from the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you. I could never have finished this story without your help and your support. And as much as it saddens me that it's over, I'm happy that I wrote this in the first place.

What started as a small project ended up being... so much more. I love the characters I made, I had a blast writing Necrozma as the main villain of the story, and writing the themes of morality and redemption... it was really fun. This entire journey was incredible to me, from start to finish. Y'know, part of me wondered if I should add another arc, to expand the story further. But... I think it's time team Liberators has their rest, the peace they fought desperately to protect, don't you think? I guess all I wanna say is, again, thank you for your support over these two years. To everyone on Writers' Union and Writers United, I thank you for the continued support.

If you made it this far... well, I hope you enjoyed the story. And remember, everyone, your fate is in your own hands. The world is an awful, awful place, but if you keep pushing through, then you really can control your fate.

Extra 1 - Birthday
  • Navar

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. swampert
    2. chesnaught-apron
    3. lucario-mega
    Extra 1 - Birthday

Snoring. Snoring. More snoring. Brian was asleep in his bed, goggles in head, oil covering most of his fur, and he even managed to hold a wrench in one paw.

Next to him was Meggie, her head resting on his furry body, while she waited for him to wake up. Being awake so early in the morning was… not great, but cuddling with her boyfriend? That was a different story entirely.

She looked at the closed curtains, but even so was able to see the rays of the sun coming from outside. Well, it's gonna be a good day after all! I really hope so…

"Hmmh…" Brian muttered something while asleep, and began to move around.

Meggie, noticing this, floated away from him, but remained in the air, hovering next to his bed. Is this…

"Gotta… sleep sum more…" Brian groaned, yawning out loud and turning so his front faced the ceiling. With a stretch of his arms, he opened his eyes. "Ah… what time is it?"

"Around 8 AM." Meggie replied, smiling at him. "Good morning!"

"Hm… mornin'." Brian was about to rub his eyes, but smelled all the oil in his paws, and dropped the wrench on his bed. "Yesterday was really busy, huh?"

"It was, wasn't it? Finishing the work on the train… getting ready for the inauguration…"

"Inauguration! Right!" Brian adjusted his goggles, putting them on top of his head. "Right, when is it?"

"Today."

"Oh, cool, cool. Today. Right—" Brian's eyes widened. "Wait, that means—oh Gods, it's my birthday!"

Meggie's smile grew larger as she flew towards him, enveloping the Zoroark into a huge hug. "Happy birthday!"

"Heh." In response, Brian wrapped his arms around her, pulling Meggie close to his face. He closed his eyes, his lips touching hers. "...Thank you, Megs."

"Y-You're welcome!" Meggie felt her face melt a little, but her smile remained. "How old are you now?"

"Seventeen!" Brian said with a grin. "...Me and Lance, actually. Did he wake up already?"

Before she could properly reply, Meggie cringed, sticking her tongue out. Her entire body shivered.

"Uh… what happened?"

"He did. He made breakfast…" Meggie shivered again. "Brian, remind us to never let him make breakfast again."

Based on those words alone, Brian had an idea what was going on.

Brian blinked. "What did he do this time?"

"A bowl of cereal, with…" once again, she trembled. "Ketchup and potato chips. I think I smelled onions too, but I'm not sure."

There was only one thing Brian could think of when hearing that. "I'm not sure what's worse: his combinations or risking this house blowing up by letting him cook."

Meggie rubbed the back of her head. "I didn't eat it. I was here, just waiting for you to wake up."

With a long, drawn-out sigh, Brian nodded. "Let's get you some actual breakfast. What are you feeling?"

"Uh, fried Blaziken and waffles?"

Hearing that made Brian's stomach growl. "Well, that sounds pretty good, actually!"

He jumped out of the bed, ready to head to the kitchen, but Meggie stopped him before he did it, standing in front of him.

"Nuh-uh. You're stinky. Go shower first, then we have breakfast. I'll make us some berry juice…"

Brian sighed, knowing she was right. "Wait for me in the kitchen. I won't take long."

It was a lie. Brian took half an hour to shower, making sure to clean everything he could, even his goggles—there was oil in them as well. Once he dried up, Brian took a look in the mirror, seeing his mane puffing up.

This is why I cut it off. Too complicated.

He took a brush and started rubbing it, letting his mane look more natural. This part of the process didn't take nearly as long, and he finished it in just two minutes.

Next, he left the bathroom, following the smell of juice in the kitchen. Inside, he found Meggie setting the table, with a large glass of oran juice in the middle.

"You're really good at this." Brian picked an apron, putting it on. "Alright! Time for the one, the only… Williams family recipe! My incredible fried Blaziken and waffles combo!"

Meggie clapped her hands together. "You gotta teach me sometime!"

With a smile, Brian began dusting the Blaziken pieces from the fridge, spicing them up with herbs. The aroma filled the air, but he wasn't done. Brian moved to where he would make the waffle batter, measuring each and every ingredient, whisking them together until the batter was done. It smelled wonderful, and Brian stopped for a few seconds just to sniff it.

"Turn on the stove for me while I prepare the pan!"

Brian moved around the area, opening drawers until he found the one he was looking for. After putting it in place, he giggled, preparing to continue the meal.

After doing the dishes, Brian had finished the first part of his special day. Sure, there was no cake, and his parents were on vacation together—something he did a while before—but the day was still special. As long as he had his friends and girlfriend.

"Well… we're not gonna stay here all day, right?" Meggie asked, already wearing her purse. "...Because I kinda wanna go shopping. I dunno, buy you something!"

"Heh. Sure, fine by me." Brian grinned, feeling a bit of food still between his teeth. "...Go ahead, I'm gonna go brush my teeth real quick."

"Should've done it after eating, like I did. You just haaaad to do the dishes first." Meggie shrugged, before floating away. She unlocked the door and closed it behind her.

Just in time to be tackled into a hug. Meggie squirmed at first, until she noticed who was hugging her.

"Popsicle! Yer awake so early!"

"H-Hi Dex…" she struggled to breathe, and soon, the Floatzel unhanded her. She panted, looking at him.

"Heh. With the money from our last job, I got me some stuff!" Dex flexed a bicep, but then pointed at his right ear. There was a gold earring attached to it. Next, he pointed at his stomach, where a blue torn sash was wrapped. "Check this out!"

"You look, err, charming." Meggie knew better than to stare. Instead, she waited for Brian. "But yeah, we woke up early. Lance too."

"Hm… I know Pup likes to wake up earlier than this. Know where he went?"

She shrugged. "He said something about checking the library. It's not that big… but I'm sure he'll find something to do there."

"Aye, sure sounds like 'im."

Both of them heard the door creaking, and saw Brian leaving the apartment, complete with his goggles, a new, brown belt full of tools, and most important of all: not smelling like oil.

"Oh, good morning, Dex!"

"Mornin', Goggles. An' happy birthday!" Dex said with a cheer, offering a hug.

"...I know you well enough to say "no"." Brian shivered at the mere thought. "But it's the thought that counts!"

Dex clapped his hands. "So! Important things first, me dear teammates! When's our next job? Mission? Whatever ye wanna call it!"

There was an audible sigh coming from Brian. "It's my birthday, I'm not going on any missions. Let's slow down a little, y'know?

"We'll get a good one soon enough, Dex." Meggie said, smiling at him. "...I know you want cash, because you sure like buying things, but we'll get there. Don't rush into things."

Although he stood a few seconds in silence, as if musing over what they said, Dex shrugged in response. "Nah, no worries, y'all. Goggles! Yer right, it's yer birthday! We gotta celebrate!"

"Celebrate, yup!" Brian smiled. "Tonight, we're invited to the inauguration of Bright Dawn's train! But before that, we have a lot of time, and a lot of stuff to do!"

"Hm…" Meggie tapped her chin in thought. "It's better to do it when Lance's back."

"Aye, it's his birthday, ain't it?" Dex grinned, mischief making its way into his head. What gift could he give that Lucario? Something he knew Lance would enjoy…

Not that he'd tell the others about it. "Well, we could wait. I mean... how long would someone even take in the library? It's boring! Fer me, anyway. Pup likes it."

Brian rubbed his chin. "I was thinking… we could just go around the city, visiting places, meeting others, I dunno. Could be fun."

"Oh, I'd love to get a new flower for my apartment…" Meggie added. "A rose, maybe? I'm looking for one that smells nice."

"Perhaps you should try buying lavender. It's said that it has a calming aroma that is both soothing and herbal."

Everyone turned towards the stairs, seeing Lance climb up with a book in his paw, and wearing a brown satchel. "Good morning, everyone. And Brian… happy birthday, to both of us, of course."

Brian immediately ran to hug his brother, and this time, Lance returned the gesture. "Happy birthday, Shorty!"

"Adorable…" Meggie muttered, giggling to herself.

"Oi! Yer twins, but like, who's the oldest? Who came out first?"

Lance flicked his cape, grinning. "Well, I am pansexual, so…"

"Pffft! That's a stupid joke!" Brian laughed, tapping his brother on the back. "But a good one at the same time!"

"Hah. I can do jokes, sometimes." Lance's tail wagged. "Anyway, I'm not sure. Neither of us really cared to ask."

"Borin'. Well, happy birthday, Pup! We gotta celebrate!"

"I… don't really like parties, but I am trying to change. Slightly. I will be part of one if it pleases you." Lance affirmed. "...That is to say, yes, I'd like to celebrate. You're only seventeen once."

Brian crossed his arms. "Pretty sure that's not how the saying goes, but alright."

"Hm, I'll have to work on that." Lance closed the book, putting it inside his satchel. "Well, my life expectancy is high, so I'll have a lot of time to work on my social skills."

"Oi, Pup. Whatcha got there? What book was that?"

"The Shadow's Embrace: Unveiling Giratina's Realm." Lance replied, sighing slightly. "I… wanted to learn more about the legends, especially Giratina. Since him and Necrozma were, err—"

"They were datin'. I see!" Dex said with a mischievous grin. "Hah, makes sense. I mean, I dunno enough about 'em, but yer a real nerd. Books are totally yer thing!"

"...Ahem, that is not important. The library happened to have that, so I'm borrowing it." Lance interjected, clearing his throat. "Anyway, should we really be discussing our plans here, in the middle of the corridor?"

Brian shook his head, realization dawning on him. "Good point. We should get outta this place! Into the heart of the city!"

"...More like into the factory. I'll never get used to all this smoke." Meggie winced, her face contorting. "What about you, Dex? What do you think?"

Dex shrugged. "Whatever y'all want, I'm fine with it. But since this is a celebration, we should go somewhere special."

"Somewhere special…" Brian repeated the words, and a different realization came up. "Wait, I know! Our parents aren't here, but I… I wanna see someone! He helped us when we moved here, so I wanna give him a gift!"

Lance quirked a brow. "That Arcanine from the police?"

"Urgh… Apollo, ain't it? That lil Fluffybuns…" Dex winced, gulping. "I've met 'im before, an' he kinda tried to arrest me. Public disturbance! Or somethin' like that."

Everyone had their eyes on Dex.

"...Sounds just like you." Lance smirked.

"Like me?! I was just out drinkin'! I didn't bother anyone!"

Brian started walking down the corridor, towards the stairs. "C'mon, guys! Less arguin', more walkin'! I'm gonna find him a cool present!"

"See? Now that's what I'm talking about!" Meggie told the others, before hovering until she was next to her boyfriend.

"I'm gonna get ye back fer this, Pup." Dex said, ending his sentence with a growl, but one that sounded playful. "...An' they're right. Let's go!"

Lance climbed down the stairs with the rest of his teammates, and they soon left the complex, walking into the city.

Right away, they were met with a densely-populated street, full of Pokémon bustling about, walking, doing their business, everything. Just another day in the city.

Dex stretched his arms as wide as he could, feeling a few cracks here and there, but nothing that he cared about. "I gotta admit, goin' on vacation was fun, but I really missed this place. As shitty as it is."

"Well, there's worse places to be." Lance shrugged his shoulders. "...Like in prison. Anyway! Brian, you're the leader here, where are we going?"

Brian pondered, his fingers lightly tapping against his chin. "Frick, I wanna get him something… we have a lot of time, but I'm at a loss Lance! What would an Arcanine like?!"

"I beg your pardon?" Lance's brows shot up in surprise. "How would I know?! Why are you asking me?"

Meggie twirled Brian's mane around. "Well… y'know, you're a Lucario. Lucario kinda looks like Arcanine, you can't deny the resemblance! Well, besides the fact you're bipedal and don't breathe fire. But either way, it makes sense, don't you think?"

Hearing that was enough to make Lance's face turn entirely red, heat rising like he was inside a stove. "Excuse me?! That's… that's a huge leap to take!"

While all that unfolded, Dex had left to grab a skewer for himself, arriving just in time to hear what the others were talking about. He couldn't help himself and burst out laughing. "Hah! Pup, they got ye good!"

It didn't help Lance's situation, and more heat rose. "Saying I'd know based on my species is like… it's like asking Dex what an Oshawott would like! It makes no sense! O-Or if Brian knows what a Braixen would want!"

"Oi, leave me out o' this!" Dex grumbled, munching on his skewer.

"...I see the problem." Brian blurted out, sighing. "S-Sorry. Still, where should we go…"

Meggie shoved her boyfriend to the front, forcing him to walk a little. "I know just the place! Follow me, boys!"

"Thank you, Meggie." Lance breathed a sigh of relief, before following her.

"Y'all are just hilarious." Dex used the stick to remove a bit of meat in-between his teeth while walking alongside the other three.

"If you say so, Megs." Brian rubbed his arm, letting Meggie take the lead.

Where was she taking them? He had no idea, but he trusted her enough to go blindly.

There was more walking, but they were interrupted a few times because Dex wanted to get something different to eat. One time it was ice cream, another, sushi, and the third time, a bunch of fries.

Even with those distractions, they continued. Meggie led them through the busy streets, using her hovering to dodge a few of the Pokémon, while the others had to dodge them. Still, it wasn't a hard trip, and it didn't take very long until they arrived at the place.

"Ta-da!" Meggie twirled gracefully, her outstretched hand directing their attention to the nearby store, adorned with a vibrant sign that displayed the day's special deals and enticing discounts. "This is my favorite convenience store, Handy Hat!"

"Neat. You came here before?" Brian quirked a brow. He was living in that city for longer, but didn't know every store in the place.

"It does look like a nice place to visit. Good choice, Meggie." Lance looked around at the building. It stood tall, and he had a feeling it was a large place inside.

"I might even find somethin' fer ye two." Dex finished his fries and tossed the bag until it hit a trash can. "Nice, I still got it!"

"I won't force you to give me something, but I'm also not gonna stop you if you really wanna do it." Brian grinned, before opening the door to the store. A bell rang as he did, announcing their arrival.

Soft instrumental music played in the background to create a soothing atmosphere for any customers inside. Lance found the space was well-organized and maintained, with stocked shelves stretching from floor to ceiling.

"Welcome, welcome!" Behind the counter stood the friendly face of a Hattrem, the owner of the Handy Hat. With a warm smile and a twinkle in her eyes, she greeted the team. "Please, make yourselves at home! Oh, and Meggie! It's always a pleasure seeing you!"

"Thank you, miss Hattrem!" Meggie pointed at her friends. "These are my teammates! We're here to buy a gift for someone we know! And… well, I wanna give Brian something, too."

"Greetings." Lance said, before he moved on to the shelves. He could buy something for Brian, but what? Maybe another set of goggles… but he got those from Father. Hm…

Each member of the team went their separate ways, looking for what to buy. Brian took a look at the shelves in one of the aisles, seeing utensils for home. He even saw brushes, and an idea came to him.

Oh, Apollo's fluffy! I wonder if he'd enjoy one of those… but that also feels like a stereotype. This is hard.

But he couldn't deny it; Apollo was a mountain of fluff. If anything, giving him a brush would be very helpful. He picked the prettiest one, with a lot of fibers. Not to mention how well it fit in his paws, the grip coming to him as naturally as possible.

For Meggie, she first wanted something to dress with. Something other than a tiara. It was nice, but she felt a change was needed. Her eyes were set on a beautiful necklace, adorned with a metallic flower.

"Whoa, this is really pretty! Brian, what do you think?" Meggie called to him, and the Zoroark was by her side in a few seconds.

He was paralyzed. Awestruck. Brian stared at her, his eyes slowly widening as sparks appeared in them. Even talking was hard.

"O-Oh! M-Megs! You… you look incredible! You're beautiful!"

"Y-You really think so?" Meggie asked, her face turning slightly red. "T-Thank you. I… thought this looked nice."

Brian's heart skipped a beat, relieved that his compliment had been well-received. With this as encouragement, he decided to continue the flirtation attempt.

"It looks great on you, Megs! Seriously, you always manage to look amazing, no matter what you do. I-I mean… you're doing all this effortlessly, like a—like a… a-a good thing, I mean, a thing that—fuck, I dunno what to compare you to! S-Sorry." Brian winced internally, realizing his words were far from smooth or suave.

Meggie's eyes sparkled with amusement, and a soft smile tugged at her lips. Despite his poor attempt, there was something endearing about the words Brian used, and she knew it was heartfelt, even if it lacked any kind of finesse.

"Aw… thank you, Brian!" she replied, voice filled with warmth. "It's really sweet of you. Your compliments always make me feel special, even if you aren't that good with them. It's part of the charm, y'know?"

"I'll, uh, keep lookin' at the brushes, b-but thanks, I try my best." Brian's face was red, and he slowly walked out of the aisle.

"Heh. I do feel nice about myself like this." Meggie looked around again, wanting to add another thing to her collection. This time, she saw two bracelets that looked like they were made with crystals. They were translucent, and so, so pretty.

"...I want this too."

She put them on, twirling around. They were a little baggy, but not enough to fall off of her arms by accident. Meggie smiled, and right then, she knew that it was what she wanted to buy.

"Right! I gotta find something for Brian and Lance too!"

This would prove to be a little harder, at least on Lance's side. She didn't know what he would like. Maybe a notebook? He was into books in general, after all.

"...That can work, actually. Let's go with that!"

On an aisle behind them, Lance checked a few tools. To his surprise, there were things an engineer like Brian would want, like a new wrench. Lance had seen the one his brother used, and it was rusty.

Hm, yes, I think I'll buy this one. The one he was looking at was clean, larger, and even had a rubber cover to help with the activities. It was perfect for Brian.

Now… I don't know what I would buy for myself. I already liked the book, so perhaps there's no need for it. Besides, my teammates are my present already.

Lance paused, closing his eyes and letting out a long sigh. Whoa, that was really, really corny. Even for my standards.

"Oi, Pup! Find anythin' ye want yet?"

"Hm, not yet, but I have—" Lance sniffed the air, overtaken by a strong, fragrant aroma that came out of Dex. It was almost too much, almost intoxicating. "I-I… Dex, what did you do?"

"Took a sample outta some perfume. Why? Ye like it?" Dex grinned, flexing both of his arms. "Scratch that. I know ye do. I mean, ye did say I should play me cards right~"

Lance, having a sensitive nose, just nodded while his body adjusted to the scent, and he kept wincing at the smell. "R-Right, I did. And you're doing that today? On my birthday?"

"Heh. Why not? I mean…" Dex approached, standing taller than Lance, and looking down at him. "If ye really wanna, there's somethin' we can do… if ye know what I mean."

"P-Perhaps once I've seen the rest of the deck." Lance forced himself to remain with a neutral look on the outside. On the inside, however, it was like a burning inferno.

"Is that a yes?"

"It's not a no." Lance cleared his throat. "And besides, today is Brian's day as much as it's mine. You should get him something, too."

Dex's smirk grew. "Already did. Asked the owner, and she gave me the idea of a spa day fer 'im an' Popsicle."

Lucky… Lance thought, imagining himself in a spa. It would certainly be relaxing. "Well, we should pay for this, so let's go."

"Aye, aye."

They walked towards the counter, already seeing both Meggie and Brian there, both of them holding bags with their purchases.

"We were waiting for you guys!" Brian said, raising the bag.

"On it." Lance approached the counter, opening his satchel to pay for what he bought. "How much?"

Hattrem took a look at the wrench. "That'll be 240 poké, sir."

That much? Lance put the coins on the table, knowing he added more than needed. "Keep the change, we'll be on our way, but thanks!"

Soon, they left the store, back into the busy streets of Bright Dawn.

Thankfully, Dex's perfume is so strong I can't feel all the smoke. Lance coughed anyway. "...Ouch. Alright, everyone, where are we going now?"

"To the police station!" Brian gave an affirming nod. "After that… I dunno, we could go out for lunch? I don't think it's noon yet, but maybe once we get out…"

"Works for me." Lance said. "Although I'm not as close with him, so I didn't buy him anything. What did you buy, Brian?"

"He got a brush." Meggie said with a grin, sticking out her tongue. "...Stereotypical, but it's like that for a reason, y'know."

"I'm… not even going to question it." Lance deadpanned. From that to Dex flirting with him, it was an odd birthday, for sure.

Especially considering that during his last one, he met Scar for the first time. And now… Scar was trapped in that prison, forever.

…There is no remorse for him. And I wasn't the one that did it, Lilith did. And besides, I shouldn't spend precious time on my birthday thinking about him. It's… just not worth it.

When Lance noticed the others calling out to him, they were already away, having a head-start while he mused about that Marowak. Lance quickly ran to catch up with them, and they continued walking towards the police station.

The trek wasn't very eventful. Other than their conversation about many things—including the recent vacation—the team didn't have a hard time reaching the station.

"Well, here's hoping he won't be too busy…" Brian muttered.

"He is the captain. I doubt there's that much free time for someone like him." Lance replied, sighing. He still hoped that Brian would be able to talk to Apollo anyway, but saying that there was a chance it wouldn't happen was the right thing to do.

"...Well, I'm still gonna try." Brian nodded, huffing.

"See?! That's the Goggles we all know an' love!" Dex slapped the Zoroark's back while chuckling.

"T-Thanks…"

Meggie held one of Brian's paws for support. "If you're nervous, we can go like this. Does it help?"

"A lot!"

Gosh, she was cute. Spending his birthday with her made Brian want to giggle, dance and just relax. Nothing really mattered, as long as Meggie was by his side.

She was the best thing that happened after moving out of our home.

Brian tugged her hand tighter. "Alright, team! Let's go!"

"It's nice seeing you happy like this." Lance smiled, wagging his tail, and entered the building.

Stepping inside, they found themselves immersed in a place of controlled chaos. The air buzzed with energy, sounds of conversations, clattering paperwork and even an occasional shout filled their ears.

"It's been a while since I've been here…" Dex rubbed the back of his head. He was clean, no crime at all. But still, going there was anxiety-inducing.

To his left, officers gathered around a whiteboard covered in notes and case details. In the center, Dex saw desks adorned with stacks of papers, where some other officers sat, organizing everything.

Lance scratched his chin."Well, they're working hard. I doubt they need any guild's help."

"True, but we could try it anyway, right?" Meggie asked, hearing a bark coming from the desks. Slowly, a Greavard made their way towards the team.

"Hello! May I ask what are you four doing here? As you can see, we're all very busy! There are various investigations happening at once, and we'd like to focus on them!"

Lance felt prompted to speak on behalf of the team, but before he was able to, his brother interjected, stepping forward.

"We, uh, have something for Captain Apollo. If… that's alright." Brian raised the bag, smiling sheepishly. "...It's a present."

Greavard barked again, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, but the captain is very busy."

"I'm never busy for these two!"

Another voice said, and from one of the offices came Apollo, wearing his cap and a badge near the mountain of fluff that was his neck. His tail wagged as he approached team Liberators.

"Good morning, kids!"

"Good morning, captain." Lance said, offering a paw, which Apollo shook.

"What's this about a gift?" Apollo's tail wagged even faster.

Dex gulped, resisting the urge to call Apollo by a nickname. "Uh… mornin', captain. It's what he said, we're here to give ye a present."

"Huh… I wanna ask why, but I'll just say it's really sweet of you, kid." This time, Apollo turned to Brian. The Zoroark handed him the bag, and Apollo caught it with his mouth, before slowly putting it on the ground. "And what's the occasion?"

"It's, uh…" Brian stuttered with his words.

Luckily for him, Meggie was there to help. "It's his birthday, but instead of getting something for himself, Brian wanted to share the spirit with you!"

Brian fiddled with his fingers. "Y-Yeah, you helped us during that case with the… heart of steel. And we helped you, so I thought "why not?", y'know?"

"That's… adorable, I gotta say, kid." Apollo's ail now looked like it was moving at the speed of sound, and produced a loud noise. "I… can't say I was expecting that, especially considering the last time we saw each other. But I'll take the gift, no problem!"

That was… when Necrozma had control of my body. Lance thought. Did Apollo ever connect the dots? It didn't look like it. Best to keep it that way, it'd be hard to explain, anyway.

"It's… a brush, s-sir. I know it's kinda a stereotype and all, but—"

"Oh, are you kidding me?! I wanted a new one for so long!" Apollo barked in excitement, smiling the flashiest smile he could. "Seriously, thank you, kid!"

"You're welcome!" Brian grinned in return. "Are you going to the inauguration later today? Like, it's a big event. I thought the police would be there for safety reasons."

Apollo nodded. "Yup, we'll be there. Guess I'll see you later, then."

"Mhm, sounds good to me! It's a special occasion."

Brian smiled, the day really was being good, every bit of it. And with his stomach growling, he knew the next stop in their trip.

Leaving the place, Lance decided to lead them to his favorite restaurant in the city. It was noticeable once they left the general vicinity of the police station, and entered the more "noble" part of the city.

There was a change in architecture, with towering structures, majestic columns, and some of the houses even had graceful archways. It was like every building told a story of nobility. Elegant street lamps, though not active, served to guide the visitors, while high-end boutiques, fine art galleries and even jewelry shops surrounded the four.

"Pup, why am I not surprised ye like this area?"

Lance shrugged in response. "We're headed to the Opulent Magnolia. It's my favorite restaurant. Very classy, I must say. And the food tastes great, too!"

"That's… good." Meggie winced. If Lance found that food to be good, what kind of eldritch horrors awaited them inside the restaurant?

They stopped in front of it, a building that stood taller than all others, with pillars, flowers decorating the entrance, and a large door that would fit all kinds of Pokémon.

"Welcome! I always wanted to take someone out here. I mean it, it's a wonderful place." Lance flicked his cape around for dramatic effect. "...Now, please, let's go, friends!"

He even had a bright smile on his face. One that Brian found to be so unlike his brother that it was sticking out.

"Okay then!" Brian said, walking with the others. Once they were there, it was like their world was turned upside down.

Polished marble floors and gleaming crystal chandeliers cascaded from the high ceiling. Soft lighting illuminated the place, casting a warm glow that revealed beautiful paintings adorning the walls. Even the air itself carried a faint fragrance of fresh flowers.

"Lance… I gotta say, this is really impressive!" Brian said, already looking at the tables. They were set with crisp, white linens, porcelain plates and gleaming silverware.

"Sheesh. Only Pup could do somethin' like this." Dex rubbed the back of his head. "If I'd known we'd be here, I would've used a better suit."

Meggie looked at the Lucario with a small frown. "That does raise the question, though, can we eat here without a reservation?"

"Don't worry, I know who runs this place. She owes me." Lance winked, sitting on a chair nearby. Each of his friends took a seat as well, in comfy, fluffy chairs. "...A story for another time, I suppose."

"One o' these days yer gonna have to tell me all the 'mons ye know around 'ere." Dex grinned. "How'd even meet all of 'em anyway? An' get them to owe ye?"

"It's charm, Dex. You would know if you had any." Lance winked at him.

"...Whoa." Dex tapped his chest and blinked, groaning. "Might need somethin' fer that burn…"

While they were talking, a Shiinotic walked towards them, wearing a bow tie around their neck. "Uh, excuse me? Do you have a reservation? You can't just show up and sit, rules of the house…"

"Tell the owner it's mister Williams." Lance said to the waiter. "She knows who I am."

Gulping, the Shiinotic left, leaving them all alone. Lance turned to his friends, smiling at them again.

"Now, then, I believe that solves our problems."

"I'm with Dex. You gotta tell us all about… whatever this is." Brian said, looking at the menu. "Hm… Lance, these prices, they're a little, uh…"

"They can't be that bad." Meggie raised a brow, picking a menu of her own. "Wait, wha—Lance! How the hell are we supposed to pay for any of this?!"

Dex wanted to check the menu, but judging by their reactions, decided against it. At the very least, he'd order a dessert. Fancy places like that always had good desserts.

…Maybe if bein' a hero didn't work out fer me, I could've been an escort. Heh.

After a while, Shiinotic returned, this time sporting a smile as they held a notebook and a pen. "My sincere apologies for the misunderstanding! May I take your order?"

"Well, I'm fine with anything. Brian, what do you want? Consider this my gift to you." Lance said, crossing his arms and smiling.

"Me? I—" Brian bit a lip, checking the menu again. The ribs did look appetizing… at least from the description. "Can we have this, uh, prime rib roast?"

Meggie took a look at the same place, her mouth watering. "...I'm with him. I want that."

Shiinotic took their other with occasional nods. "Anything else?"

"Yes, I'd like a milkshake!" Dex blurted out. "Oh, and fries!"

"Alright. Anything else?"

Brian shook his head. "Not for me. Megs, Dex, Lance?"

"I'm fine with this order. But… I'd like a glass of berry juice. If possible."

"Y-Yes, sir." Shiinotic nodded, moving out of the way.

Now all they had to do was wait.

The conversation came and went while they waited for the food to arrive. After all, there was much to be discussed.

"Like I mentioned, I want to make a city. It's still a work in progress, but I did have some ideas." Lance noticed the waiter coming over with a bowl of garlic bread, putting it in the middle of the table. "Thank you. Anyway, Brian, I would like your opinion on this, as an engineer."

Brian immediately grabbed a piece of bread and started eating it. "Do tell! Can I be blunt, though? 'Cause, like, no offense, but you're kinda dramatic when it comes to planning."

"True, true." Dex had picked two pieces of bread instead. "I'm curious too, not gonna lie."

"Hm." Meggie said only that, focusing on the bread. It was mouth-watering.

Lance nodded. "...How feasible do you think a floating city might be?"

Brian almost choked on the garlic bread, but retained enough control to stop himself just in time. He looked at his brother with an open mouth, but without saying a word.

"T-That's, uh… it sure is an idea, Lance." Brian put the bread down, and carefully… it was grabbed by Dex. Brian didn't seem to mind. "I mean, how would we keep it flying?"

"I can float, but not all the time. It gets tiring eventually." Meggie added, and even if her point wasn't exactly the same, it was worth a shot.

Meanwhile, Dex kept chewing on the bread. He knew well enough that this was way out of his league… except for his flotation sac. That could be talked about.

"I can float, despite bein' so bulky. I'm sure there's physics involved in it. Maybe ye two nerds gotta figure that part out?"

"Hm, it does make sense." Lance nodded, using a fork and a knife to cut his bread into tiny bits, much to the chagrin of everyone else there. Not that he cared. "As for floating… I assumed we could keep machines positioned in just the right spots, constantly operating. Of course, they would eventually need repairing, maintenance, and all that. Which is where you come in."

Brian could only sigh. "I can certainly try, but this is a pretty big project. We'll have to work on it really hard. And besides, you'll be leaving in like, a month. We shouldn't start doing it now."

"Exactly my point." Lance smiled. "I doubt King Edgar will cut off all communications between us, so we can still plan it. Baby steps, I suppose."

Brian let out a sigh, looking up. "I'll see what I can do."

Once he looked down again, he realized just in time that Shiinotic had returned, carrying with them a large plate of ribs. Just the smell alone was intoxicating, and the sauce… it dripped from each rib, appetizing, inviting them to take as many bites as they wanted.

Not to mention the fries. Shiinotic carried a second plate, gently putting it down. The fries were large, in both size and quantity, and though he could smell the salt, Brian realized it didn't taste salty after trying one out.

"Thank you for the meal," he said, controlling the urge to drool at the sight. The ribs were huge!

"Give my regards to the owner. Tell her… she doesn't owe me anymore." Lance told the waiter, who nodded before leaving.

A few seconds later, Shiinotic returned one final time, now carrying a glass of an orange-colored juice. They put it on the table.

"The milkshake will arrive shortly, mister…"

Dex was munching on a rib, and only noticed he was being spoken to by Lance snapping a finger near his ear. "Oh, howdy! Name's Dex!"

"Thank you." Shiinotic left one more time.

Lance watched his friends eat with a smile on his face—the present was worth it, every bit of it. And spending his birthday with his loved ones was the best one he could ask for.

Not to mention that Dex, despite eating so voraciously… was sort of cute. He was the only one that approved Lance's recipes, too.

…But it wasn't the time for romance.

"Well, Brian, I'm sure we'll have enough time to figure the logistics out. I'm still researching more legends… I'll try to keep doing that, even while I'm working for King Edgar."

"Uh-huh." Brian nodded, but focused most of his attention on the food. After all, it wasn't every day that he got to indulge in such fine cuisine. "We'll work on it."

Meggie smiled, cleaning a bit of sauce off of her boyfriend's snout, before starting to eat. While not as voracious as the guys, she was still hungry, and took the time to savor every bit of food.

"Well, then, let's have lunch, shall we?" Lance asked, knowing everyone had started already. His tail wagged, and he began to eat. While used to this restaurant, he figured the company was the best part of it—though the food was still very good.

In the end, Lance paid for the bill—making sure nobody there actually saw how much it cost. By the time they left the restaurant, it was way into the afternoon, and the sun was beginning to set. The ceremony was close.

"Guess we did all we wanted to do…" Brian said, holding a milkshake in a paw, and Meggie's hand in the other. He took a slurp. "Maybe we should get ready for it? Like, go home, get dressed, that kinda thing."

Now they were back on the street, already close to their apartment.

"Sounds fine to me." Lance nodded. He already knew exactly what clothing to wear.

I know this isn't the time for romance, but… I want to try something.

"And Dex… I'll let you borrow an outfit. I know you don't have anything pretty."

"Hey!" Dex raised an arm to protest, but backed down. "...Yer right, but ye don't need to say it."

Lance only replied with a smile, and they continued to walk. This time, the streets were a little emptier, but not by much. There was still the occasional cluster of Pokémon together, meaning they had to dodge that. However, it was somewhat rare, so they didn't take too long to reach the complex. And even less to climb the stairs. Lance, after reaching the top, looked out the window, wincing slightly.

…You never forget being thrown out of a window.

With a sigh, he continued, and the four were standing near both Lance and Meggie's apartments.

"I'm gonna go dress up inside. I… kinda prepared something for this occasion." Meggie said with a smile. After kissing Brian, she entered her own apartment.

"Well, Dex… I'd like to ask you to come with me." Lance said, showing a smug grin. "...I want your honest opinion on what would look good on me."

"..."

Dex returned with a grin of his own. "Aw, did I really play me cards right? And I ain't even used to card games! Too borin'!"

"...I'd say you two need a room, but Lance's offering his already." Brian blinked, rushing to his own before things there got too awkward for him.

"Well, then." Lance's grin grew, while his tail started to wag, moving the cloak a little. "...Let's go."

Once inside of Lance's room, Dex sat on the bed, while Lance moved next to the closet. He opened it, showing a few outfits. Bracelets, a tuxedo, a trenchcoat, his old headband… even a hat. Lance went for the tuxedo and the coat.

"What's your opinion, Dex?" Lance showed both of them to the Floatzel. "Which one should I use?"

"Good point. Tuxedo's too formal—an' I'm gonna be honest here—it ain't yer style. I think the coat looks cooler. 'Sides, it's brown. Kinda fits."

"Impressive, I thought so too." Lance smirked, taking another peek at the closet. He found another tuxedo, but this one was larger—just large enough for Dex. Lance tossed it to his friend. "Here, it should fit… probably."

"Hmph. Not my style either, but is what it is." Dex considered trying the tuxedo, but decided to wait for Lance to finish dressing up first.

"Now, I know what you want to see, but I'm still wary. Close your eyes."

Dex pouted, crossing his arms, but did as asked. "Sheesh, fine, Pup. Yer a tease…"

"Well, I do try…" Lance removed his cloak, gently setting it in the bed, while unbuttoning the coat. He put it on, and buttoned it back. "So… how do I look?"

"Hot."

Lance winced, but then chuckled. "Hah… I should've expected such an answer."

"Heh. Like I said, yer a tease… but yer not the only one~"

Dex stood up, taking away his bandanna and sash. He flexed both arms, kissing his biceps, before picking the tuxedo up, unbuttoning it and putting the shirt. Slowly, he put the buttons back. Despite the shirt being larger than Lance's, it was still a little tight, with the outline of his muscles being visible even when it was on.

"Like it~?"

"I-I…" Lance gulped, responding with a nod.

"Good." Dex grinned, and put the rest of the fit, except this time he did it at a normal pace. "Glad ye like it."

"I mean… yeah." Lance rubbed the back of his head. "Does this make us even? No more teasing?"

"Eh, we'll see about that." Dex shrugged. "An' we have a party to go to."

"True." Lance adjusted the coat, cleared his throat, and left the room.

Maybe one day, he could actually pursue romance. Maybe. But for now, he was happy just being friends.

It was finally time. As the sun set, team Liberators left the complex, dressed to the occasion. Along with her bracelets and necklace, Meggie also wore a floral veil around her head—fitting her just right. Brian, on the other hand, had a tailcoat, while his hair was wrapped in a ponytail.

The team walked, following an audience, and Brian's directions, heading to the heart of the city. They didn't pass by that area earlier—going through a different path—but now, the train station was visible from far away.

"There it is!" Brian said with a chuckle, and a bright smile on his face.

Pokémon thronged the streets, most of them dressed in their finest attire, and ready to witness history in the making. The atmosphere was electric, as locals and visitors alike gathered to celebrate the inauguration. Vendors had set up stalls along the pathway, offering a variety of treats to anyone that desired them.

The station itself was imposing, built on the top of a large set of stairs, it contained a large, metal train, rails, and even a clock tower to the side, revealing the current time: the day just hit evening.

"It looks nice. Congratulations, Brian." Lance nodded, adjusting his coat one more time. "...You did a good job."

Meggie smiled, holding Brian's paw. "He really did!"

"Heh. Thanks, guys." Brian rubbed the back of his head. "I think everyone's here…"

He looked around, seeing the police stationed at multiple spots, ready to attack at the slightest sight of trouble.

And at the top of the stairs, right next to the train, were two Pokémon: one was a Kilowattrel, and the other, a Goodra with a metallic shell on her back.

"The new mayor…" Lance muttered, his gaze fixed on the dragon. "I've heard good things about her, but I suppose anything is better than the last one."

"Good evening, everyone!" Goodra said with a cheer, her gooey body jiggling slightly. "We're gathered here today to celebrate a mark in our city! The first railroad of Bright Dawn!"

The bird next to her flapped his wings. "Indeed! For the last few months—apart from the Enlightenment—me and a select group of Pokémon have been working on building this! We have associated with other cities and villages, creating railroads whenever possible… all to make traveling easier for you!"

"Oi. Goggles, how long did ye work on the train thingy?"

"For a little while, before we left to get Lance, and when we got back, I still worked a little. Not as much as I wanted… but it's fine. I did my best!"

"Even if you only worked on it a little, you still helped, sweetheart." Meggie stated, smiling at him. "And it's still your achievement. Yours and so many others."

"From this day onward, you may use the system to visit a lot of towns nearby! Before, if it took you days… it will only take a few hours!" Goodra said, her body jiggling further. "Please, my friend here, the engineer responsible for this project, will talk some more!"

Kilowattrel huffed, flapping his wings again. He looked at them, and smiled slightly. "The system is effective, and more importantly, safe! We have hired the best of the best to protect the passengers at all times, so there's nothing to worry about!"

"Are there any questions?" The mayor asked.

One Pokémon, an Aipom, raised a hand. "Ma'am! Is there a possibility we can make these trains run on water?"

Brian's engineer brain heard that question, and began to work. If they could somehow keep the roads there, or make the train not need one, then it could be feasible.

"A very interesting question!" Kilowattrel replied. "We may need to think about this one a little harder, as there are many variables."

"Y'know, I don't get what they're talkin' about… but hey, if it makes ye happy, Goggles, then I'm happy too." Dex said. He already had a skewer in hand, and was eating the meat on it. "...That bein' said, ye gotta participate on the next project."

"I'll be leaving in a month or so, therefore, I'll tell you this now." Lance looked at his brother. "Follow your dreams. And besides, this helps with mine as well, doesn't it?"

"I-I guess…" Brian tried to hide the blush on his face, but it couldn't be more apparent.

"And we'll always be there for you. Especially me." Meggie held his paw tighter. "Alright? You worked for this. You deserve all the praise you can get."

"Right."

He worked hard on the train. As hard as he could. And there it was, the physical proof of his effort. If anything, that was another gift for that birthday. Brian accepted that, smiling once more. From now onwards, he would continue fulfilling his dreams, being part of all the projects he could.

A/N: Huzzah, everyone! I dunno if anybody was expecting this, but I WAS planning on posting extra chapters for this story. During this one, I thought about celebrating their birthday. Yes, 19/06 is their birthday. This is the word of God. Anyway, this was mostly just fluff. Thanks for reading!

Extra 2 - Anniversary
  • Navar

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. swampert
    2. chesnaught-apron
    3. lucario-mega
    Extra 2 - Anniversary

As the night rose, that day proved to be unusual, because, in one particular street of Bright Dawn, there was no time for rest. Cheers, laughter and song filled the air, almost as if it was a festival.

Indeed, it was. The street was flooded with stands. Pokémon were selling food, merchandise, singing, playing. Everyone in the place was having a good time. Some were even wearing masks fashioned in the likes of Zacian and Zamazenta—two powerful Pokémon, renowned as heroes.

The bustling festival was a sight to behold. A group of Audino donned festive hats, dancing to the rhythm of a band of Ludicolo. Nearby, a tiny Cetoddle took the stage with a microphone, serenading the gathered crowd with lyrics to the Ludicolo's melody.

And, up in the sky, a Talonflame and a Charizard soared, releasing bursts of flames that formed patterns with the faces of the celebrated heroes, receiving awestruck looks from the Pokémon down below. Among them was Apollo, whistling as he looked up.

"Wow… I didn't want to admit it, but this is a nice change of pace," he muttered. Sure, it was something that happened every year, but this time the mayor seemingly went overboard with the whole thing.

Speaking of the mayor, she was stopping every now and again, to talk with one or two of the Pokémon surrounding her.

"M-Mayor Florges! Are you sure this is necessary?" Next to her was an Armarouge, frantically waving his arms. "You need to prepare for your speech!"

"Let her have some fun." Apollo blurted out. They were both acting as her bodyguards, which meant long, boring walks across the street, made slower by the fact Mayor Florges kept stopping. But then again, that was just like her. At least, he could entertain her ideas of how to spend the festival.

"Ah, my apologies! I was getting all excited about it…" she clapped her hands together, and almost dropped her glasses, before adjusting them. "I just… wish to see how they are. In this economy, I think it's important to check on the little guy."

As boring as bodyguard work tends to be, I like hearing her opinion on things. Apollo raised his head. "You're correct, ma'am. It's time to celebrate, after all…"

"O-Of course." Armarouge straightened his position. "You really thought this through!"

The old mayor would never… I still can't believe we were able to kick him out. Apollo breathed a major sigh of relief. "I think we still have time to check other stands, ma'am. Would you like to—"

"Yes, I'd love to!" Mayor Florges smiled, before turning around to one of the stands. It had a target range inside, and a few darts near a table.

She set her sights on the best prize: a Zacian plush. "I want that…"

Apollo blinked; he never expected her to be that… childish. Anything was an improvement, though. "Ma'am? I'm sure the owner can give it to you if you ask."

"No, I would rather get it on my own," she turned to face Apollo—her pupils were in the shape of Zacian, and her grin was wild. "I need it!"

Armarouge was dumbstruck by the mayor's attitude, and lost all the words he was going to say.

The Arcanine by his side said everything for him. "Understood, ma'am."

"And stop with the formalities… I'm Emily."

A Steenee owned the stand, twirling around. "Hello, Mayor Florges! Would you like to try?"

"I'd love to!" Emily smiled. She never tried a game like it before, but it couldn't be that hard, right? "Can you explain the rules?"

Steenee twirled again. "You need to hit the innermost part of the target with that dart. You have three chances. While you can hit any area, the closer you get to the center, the more points you get~!"

The mayor picked three darts. "Is that it?"

"If you somehow manage to get all three darts right in the center, you'll score the highest! But beware, you can't use any moves!"

So, it was a simple game. All it really depended on was her own skill. Emily aimed at the target, holding one of the darts.

Apollo's tail wagged. Those games were fun! If he wasn't out there working, he'd try it out. "Uh, ma'am? Good luck!"

"You can hardly contain your own excitement, huh?" Armarouge crossed his arms, and smiled. "I know you."

"My family took me to places like this all the time when I was a pup!"

Meanwhile, Emily was making her move. Aiming, deep breath, and… she shot the dart! It landed right on the middle, much to the shock of the owner, and Emily herself.

"H-Huh?! I did it! Somehow!"

Apollo watched it with his tail wagging faster. "She's… wow. I'm impressed."

"T-There's still two more attempts! What will you do?!"

Emily only had one real way of replying—by grabbing another dart.

Apollo continued to watch. I was right, it really is an improvement. Mayor Emily does look like she cares for the people.

And as he thought, Emily shot the other two darts. Though they didn't land on the center, they both got close enough, and she got a huge amount of points for it.

Armarouge closed a fist, putting it in front of his chest. "Congratulations, ma'am!"

"Thank you. You're too kind." Emily grabbed the plush, squeezing so hard that it almost popped. She kept a smile all the way through. "And I got what I wanted in the end!"

She's almost… too much. Apollo smiled.

It was due to those siblings that change could happen in the city. Due to them and to him. Apollo could never thank the two enough, no matter how much he tried.

I wonder… how they're doing right now. The last time I met them, it was when I met that strange Lucario…

Something was familiar about it, but Apollo didn't press further, and the situation sorted itself out. Still, he went through something even weirder later.

My dream… I had a strange dream when those tendrils hit me, I was happy, but… Gods, that was an experience.

"You're awfully quiet, Apollo." Armarouge called out to him, tapping a foot on the ground. "Something on your mind?"

"Ah, just a few cases I'll have to work on. I had to let my subordinates deal with them, but I'd like to return to the force later."

"Mhm, I'm sure they'll handle it. Believe in them." Armarouge said, crossing his arms. "After all, they're your comrades."

"I suppose you're right. We've been through a lot…"

Emily turned around, walking towards the bodyguards. "Well, I did what I wanted here. Please, let's go."

Both of them replied in unison. "Yes, ma'am."

As they walked, Apollo continued to be deep inside his thoughts. He was there to protect and to serve. That was his job. There were things outside of his control—but right now, the city seemed fine.

A glance to the side and he saw the train. "Hm, it's been a while since that opened up. You had a great idea, ma'am."

Emily shook her head. "Not really. The old mayor had it, and I just finished his idea."

"Really?" he didn't quite get politics. Too complicated for him. Apollo liked simple things, like working, hanging out with his friends.

None would happen if he hadn't dealt with those mercenaries and the mayor. It had been what, over a year? Time passed very fast, it seemed.

And those two. The Riolu and Zorua. Since then, they both evolved. Apollo chuckled; how were they doing?

I think they still live here. Maybe I should pay them a visit.

"You're quiet again." Emily said. She stopped in front of a food stand, seeing so many skewers! Her mouth was drooling from the sight. "Ah, nevermind! You two can stay and do whatever it is you're doing! I'm going to eat something!"

Armarouge sighed. "I suppose we can rest. And Apollo? What's on your mind? You're awfully introspective."

"You and I aren't all that close, y'know?" The Arcanine rolled his eyes. "Anyhow, I was thinking about a case that happened a while ago. I had outside help, and I was wondering how they were doing right now."

"Hm… sounds about right, from what I know of you." Armarouge sighed. "Do they live here? You can just check how they are. Don't worry about it."

"Fair point, of course." Apollo sat, waiting for the mayor to eat. "It was a major case, to be honest. For someone that young, I was impressed with how much they helped me."

"Sounds like you owe them a lot."

"Hah… I guess I do, huh?"

Apollo chuckled, and his tail wagged again. "I'll just visit them later. To be honest, I have a hunch that they're okay. On our line of work, hunches are a powerful tool."

A pause. "...Granted, they're not always right. We'll see."

Part of his hunch was that something had happened. Apollo would check it out, but only after his duties. In the meantime, he was sure they could handle themselves. And besides, the team had grown since then.

"Hmmm… I love this. It tastes nicely~" Emily returned to her guards' side. "That should be it for now. Let's carry on."

Apollo sighed. Yup, she's better, but there's other challenges to face with such a laid-back mayor. I mean, good for her, I guess.

As they walked, he remembered that Riolu—Lance. Whatever was up with him, Apollo hoped the kid was alright. Gods, he always looked depressed. Maybe that changed.

"Oh, oh! Another plush! I need that one!"

Right. Apollo shouldn't be thinking about them now. They were fine.

Far away from there, in an entirely different region, things weren't fine. Snow covered the ground in that village, and even the roofs were full of it.

Screams filled the air as Pokémon hurried away, some falling, getting picked up by others, but they were all running. Running from an army of dragons that was after them. Even in such cold weather, they didn't slow down, heavily armored to counteract.

"There is no need for a fight like this."

A lone Lucario stood on top of a hill overlooking the village. The blizzard made his cloak move in the air. With a thick pelt, he was fine, even with the weather being the way it was.

"They are remnants. You know your job," on his side stood a tall Tyrantrum, looking at the village as well. "Lance. You are to capture them, so we may judge them."

"Do you even have the authority to do this?" Lance raised a brow, but not looking at the dragon. "I imagine it would be hard to get such a thing outside your kingdom."

"What do you take me for?!" The king snarled in response. "I already talked with the leader. As long as you do not destroy any property, it will be fine."

That didn't remove the possibility of a fight. And as much as Lance wanted to ignore it, part of him wanted to see what these, these…

Cultists is the proper word for it.

These cultists could do. Lance took a single step forward. "But what is the status? I doubt the entire village is affiliated with him."

"It is not. We have reasons to believe they are hidden in one of the houses, hence why I sent my soldiers to do a scan of the area."

"And if they find the cult?"

"You will be the first one to know."

Lance sighed. Oh, how he wished to be with his friends. Alas, this was for the best, for his redemption. All he could ever hope for was to get rid of all that guilt. That somehow, when he died, he could look back and realize all the good outdid the bad.

For the moment, Lance only watched. Most of the dragons barged inside houses, before leaving. They didn't seem to be making any progress, unless scaring the villagers counted as progress.

"Hm. Is this really the best option? Even if you're not harming the village, this is still too scary for the citizens."

"What do you know? You were never meant to be a king. You do not know anything about sacrifices."

I know enough to not wish to sacrifice anyone. A lie. Lance could sacrifice himself. He almost wanted it.

More screams pierced this air, but they didn't come from the source both expected. Instead, a flash of purple crossed the snowy field, cutting through the soldiers like they were nothing.

"I assume that I know now." Lance said. He couldn't make out all the details, but… was that purple fire?

In response, the king grinned. "We had a spy in their ranks. We know who their leader is."

He stopped talking, his grin disappearing. "And he happens to be attacking my soldiers. That is where you come in. Stop him before things get any worse."

"Of course. It's what I'm here for." Lance stepped forward, pressuring the floor until he bolted forward, speed increasing to its limit for a few seconds.

During those seconds, Lance climbed down the hill, towards the village. He could hear all the screams and some soldiers trying to move out of the way of the… blades. Purple blades, made out of pure fire.

"Ceruledge." Lance muttered. It was the most sensible option, as far as he was concerned. He heard of them, and their seemingly great swordsmanship, but seeing one himself? This was going to be the first time.

His bolt continued, moving from tree to tree until he landed on the top of a house. Just in time to see said Ceruledge raising an arm to slash at a nearby Sliggoo.

But he was faster. Fast enough to clash against the blade with a club, his own club, made out of aura, flashing purple just like the sword it touched.

"I apologize, but I can't let you kill them." Lance said, putting enough strength to stop the blade, but not much more.

"Hmph! Are you with them, too?!"

"Tch." Lance eventually put more of his power, forcing Ceruledge to step back. The club in his paw remained. "I know who you are. You're involved with Scar. Or you were."

That caused his opponent to widen his eyes. "You know Master Scar?! He's been missing! Just when we finally achieved salvation!"

Salvation, huh? Lance shook his head. "I considered him a mentor. As for your so-called salvation, it's over. Necrozma will never be free again."

"What do you know?!" His flames burned brighter, melting a bit of the snow beneath him. "We just want to be saved! You and your stupid dragons come, tryin' to kill us?! I'm not letting it happen!"

Why did they insist on being saved, when it meant losing all free will? Lance couldn't understand it; it was natural to want free will. In the end, they were different. And to think that, at one point, Lance respected Scar. It was a thing of the past now.

"Answer me, you bastard! You come crashing in, messing up all my work… all my followers are running away now!"

Lance put a paw on his hip. "Your followers? Are you even listening to yourself?"

"You're…" Ceruledge groaned, before pointing his blade at the Lucario. "I don't know who you are, but you're not escaping me!"

As expected, talking things out wasn't working. Lance sighed, shaking his head to get rid of some thoughts about trying it again. "If you insist… then I will have to defeat you myself."

Stances taken, the two rushed towards each other, clashing once again. He could tell this opponent was strong.

Brian, Meggie, Dex. I'm not dying here. I will fulfill my mission… and come back!

More melody filled the streets of Bright Dawn. This was the first time Brian saw such an event, and a fun one at that! Everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Of course, he wasn't alone. Meggie was checking every corner to see what she could get, and Dex was munching on a skewer.

"Wow… I like it here. The place is so… I dunno, fancy!" Meggie said, stopping next to the Zoroark. "What do you think?"

"Same as you, Megs." Brian said with a grin. "...Though I know we're missing a member."

"Pup's fine. Ye worry too much about 'im." Dex finished the skewer, throwing the stick on a nearby trash can. "Really, he's tough. We're all tough. He'll be just fine."

Brian sighed. Rationality made him not worry that much, but not everything was decided by being rational. He just wanted his brother with him, with them.

"I know. We just need to wait, and he'll be back." Brian adjusted his goggles. "And besides, we know he doesn't like parties like this."

"I think I'd rather stay and read a book or two." Meggie said, her voice sounding very close to Lance's. "That's what he'd say, right?"

"Ye got that right." Dex shrugged. "Now, what should we do? This place is huge. We can just talk, or we can find something fun to do."

"Ah… I think you're right." Brian started to walk, checking everything. Some of the games involved throwing darts, holding your breath, among other things.

One of those other things caught the attention of Dex—not a typical battle, but something equally intense. Two Pokémon, a Machoke and a Conkeldurr, were close together. Their enormous arms locked in a gripping showdown, each one trying to pull the other's arm down. He couldn't help but watch in awe.

"Oi! They're arm-wrestlin'! That's what this is all about!" His eyes sparkled with excitement, just like the crowd watching it. "I'm gonna join 'em!"

"An arm-wrestle competition…" the Froslass muttered. "That sounds about right, coming from you."

Brian crossed his arms. "Actually, I kinda wanna see it. I'm your friend, I wanna see you win."

The Floatzel grinned widely. "Hah! There ain't no way I'm losin'! Not when y'all are rootin' fer me like this!"

"I want to see how far you get." Meggie added. She had faith in him, but the wrestlers were strong as well.

Dex approached the announcer, a Magmortar that was cheering alongside the audience.

"Yo. I'm here to join." Dex blurted out, grinning.

It took a little while for the announcer to notice Dex. It wasn't until the Machoke was defeated that Dex got his reply.

"You guys hear this?!" Magmortar raised an arm, causing the audience to erupt into cheers. "We have another contestant!"

"Bet."

Magmortar set his sights on Dex. "Oh! What a bulky fella! He has an advantage! But before we do anything, here are the rules! You must use your dominant arm, and wrestle against your opponent!"

That's obvious. Dex thought. There had to be something else to it. "An' then what?"

"Depends on how much time you can handle! The longer you do, the better the prizes will be! We have plenty, ranging from money to utensils!"

"Dex! You better win! I want a new frying pan!" Brian blurted out, cheering along the way.

"As if I could lose!" Dex sat down in one of the chairs, facing the Conkeldurr. They both stared at each other. "Heheh. If things were different, I wouldn't mind meetin' ya in another way."

"Flattering." Conkeldurr replied. He Put his arm on the table that separated the two, and Dex was quick to grab his hand. "But you're getting ahead of yourself."

"We'll see about that…" the Floatzel continued to grin.

And so, the battle of strength started. The audience erupted into cheers, their roars and applause drowning out all other sounds. Both Dex and his opponent were giving their all, making the table tremble beneath their might.

"Kick his ass, Dex!" Brian cheered his friend on, raising both arms. Meggie did the same as him. The crowd was on the edge of their seats, eagerly awaiting to see what the outcome of this clash would be.

"Ye don't gotta tell me twice!" Dex roared, moving his arm little by little. He was struggling to match Conkeldurr's pace.

However, he knew he could win. After all, he fought an actual God! Just like the rest of his friends.

Pup… I bet you'd love to see this, right? An' I know we're stronger now. Me, you, Goggles and Popsicle. We're all stronger. This ain't nothing!

Nothing compared to Necrozma. Dex continued his attempt. Wherever Lance was, he was taking care of himself.

Lance and his opponent clashed again, a gust of wind surrounding them after their weapons bumped against each other.

He's tough! The Lucario thought, holding the club with one paw. With the other, he created a second club, before thrusting it, towards the Ceruledge's eyes.

The bait worked, forcing him to back away from the attack. Lance didn't let that opportunity go to waste, speeding up to catch up and bonk the Ceruledge with the two clubs. He hit him repeatedly, until his opponent retaliated with a slash of his sword, breaking apart the clubs.

"Tell me, Lucario." Ceruledge panted. "What is your name? What is your relationship with my master?! He's your mentor?!"

"I'm Lance," he panted. With how much he was speeding up, it was getting tiring. Not to mention that the village was a bad place to fight in. "Scar is gone. Accept it."

"I am… Gawain. Scar saved me, when I was at my lowest point," the Ceruledge replied. Both swords he held started to burn, purple flames enveloping them completely. "If he's gone, then I'll just have to finish the job for him!"

Need to get him away from the village, but how…? Appealing to Gawain's bonds with Scar could work. "I know where his body is. Why don't you try taking the information away from me?"

Gawain's eyes widened further, and he charged, swinging his arms to release two blades made entirely out of fire. Lance grit his teeth, accepting the attacks.

However, he wasn't getting hit by them. Lance charged, creating two more clubs and jumping between the blades, just in time to hit Gawain and force him back further.

Lance quickly hit the ground. "If you know nothing of what happened to him, then Scar hardly liked you."

"ENOUGH!" Gawain charged towards Lance.

Good, just what he wanted. Lance ran away from the village, dodging a few more attacks from the Ceruledge following him. More snow. More trees. But no other Pokémon.

"You're only good at running!" Gawain jumped, and Lance backed off just in time. However, the attack hit the snow, melting it instantly. "Grrrr…"

"I'm done running, honestly." Lance cracked his knuckles. "In fact, the battle starts now."

"You'll answer every question I have!" Gawain's blades burnt with fire again. "I know what you did. Luring me outside that village. What do you want from me?!"

Lance sighed. "I have a mission. I can't let someone as dangerous as you try to finish what Scar started."

"You know… nothing!" Gawain charged, swinging his blades again.

In response, Lance dodged the attacks, moving side to side. For now, he was playing defensively. Only after a while could he come up with a strategy.

To prevent any further damage, Lance blocked the last attempt with his clubs, crossing them like an "X". Gawain grunted, backing off from his enemy.

"I—Scar and I, all of us wanted salvation. What's so wrong with that?!"

"I can give you a list if that helps." Lance raised a brow. He's fast, and his attacks are strong. It'd be really bad if I got hit by those blades. Particularly if they're that hot.

The field was too barren to be of use. Just snow as far as his eyes could see, and a few trees. He also didn't have ranged attacks—well, two, but one was useless, and the other… Lance shivered at the thought of using it.

"Scar is not dead! I know he'll lead us to a better era!" Gawain raised an arm in the air. It appeared to be gathering energy.

But from where?! What kind of attack is that? Lance knew that, whatever it was, it left his opponent vulnerable.

A chance he had to take. Speeding up again, Lance prepared to strike with his club. Multiple times, if the need arose. And he tried the first of those times.

Something blocked his attack. Lance was left dumbstruck by what he saw—a rainbow, almost transparent barrier prevented him from getting further inside.

"P-Protect? But that—"

Gawain was faster. His blade finished charging, and he brought it down, swinging in an arch right at Lance's chest. What came after was a loud roar of pain from the Lucario. Though… he didn't leave the spot.

"It doesn't hurt. At all. I've been through worse. And better yet… you're vulnerable." Lance put a paw forward, blasting a sphere right at Gawain.

However, it didn't do anything. Gawain didn't even feel it tickle. The surprise, on the other hand, made him more vulnerable. Lance bonked him with the club, sending his opponent flying back.

"Hah… I knew he was tough." Lance touched his chest, right where the attack hit. It was aching, and a bit bloody, but not enough to be an issue. "But I'm tough as well. Right, Brian?"

Once again, the crowd cheered. This time, it was from Dex moving his arm so hard that the table was broken, and Conkeldurr was left on the ground, arm pounding with pain.

"Hahahahah! I told y'all I'd win!"

Magmortar was awestruck, gulping. "S-So! We have a winner! Our previous champion has been completely defeated by this newcomer! Everyone, cheer him up as loud as you can!"

"Hahahahah!" Dex could hardly hear his own voice amidst the sea of applause the audience was giving him.

But there was still time for more contestants. Magmortar cleared his throat. "Unfortunately, mister Dex, we'd still like to see you compete! Therefore, will you challenge our strongest?!"

Dex didn't even have to think, flexing a bicep. "Of course I am! Popsicle, Goggles! We're bringin' the best prize back home!"

"He's always so excited for this kind of stuff…" Brian rubbed the back of his head. His tone was a bit sarcastic, but in reality he was happy to see a friend acting like that.

"I mean, we could use some of those utensils. There's a pan, some bottles for spices… kitchen stuff." Meggie looked behind Magmortar, where each prize was displayed over on a table. "A lot of kitchen stuff."

"You're right! I'm already planning on what to cook when we get there. Considering pasta…" his stomach growled. Brian could hardly wait, but there were things to eat at the festival. They didn't need to rush.

"Hmmm, pasta is good." Meggie told him.

Magmortar raised an arm in the air. "Very well! Here she comes, the one, the only… laaaaaaaady Nidoqueen!"

And she came stomping on the ground, members of the audience moving out of her way to not be crushed. Once she stopped, Dex had to look up just to see her face.

"Yer a lot taller than I expected." Not taller than Necrozma, but still…

"Oi! You're the one that beat my friends? You've got guts, kid. But this is where it ends. You won't get past me!"

"We'll have to see." Dex whistled, checking the broken table. "Although… I doubt we're gonna need it."

Brian watched the scene with a chuckle. "I think he overdid it."

And not long after Brian finished talking, he heard barking. A familiar barking.

"Ma'am, we really need to get going, we can't waste so much time here…"

Apollo was trying to convince her, but the mayor was fixated on the wrestling. "Ah, but it won't take too long!"

"...Oh, the new mayor. Neat." Brian said. He had a part in that, but it was nothing to brag about. Not that he wanted to, anyway.

"But ma'am…"

Armarouge shook his head. "Forget it. Just let her see it."

And Apollo had little to do but sigh. "I suppose—"

"Heeeeey! Mister Apollo!" Brian ran towards the Arcanine, waving an arm at him as he approached. "It's me!"

"Hm? Kid!" Apollo turned around, smiling and wagging his tail. "Hahah! You're here! You and your team!"

"We decided to celebrate!" Brian smiled, trying to hide the bit of embarrassment in him. "Well, most of us. Lance's away on a mission."

Meggie quickly joined her boyfriend. "And he'll be back soon. For now, it's just us."

On the ring, a new table was set, and Dex was doing his best to wrestle with that Nidoqueen. It seemed the two were evenly matched. However, the Floatzel had a small advantage, pressuring Nidoqueen to make up for it.

"I see. I'm on the clock! I need to protect the mayor today." Apollo glanced at the Florges. She was entirely focused on Dex's wrestling match. "As you can see… she's a bit eccentric."

"It's better than that Alakazam." Brian crossed his arms. "Wow, it happened so long ago…"

While they talked, Dex finally managed to knock out Nidoqueen, putting her arm on the table. More cheers erupted. "I remain the champion o' this thing!"

Magmortar was still surprised, and his jaw almost dropped. "T-The winner… is Dexter. H-He won the tournament!"

"Told ya." Meggie punched her boyfriend on the arm, playfully. "And we got a bunch of stuff!"

Apollo chuckled at that. "Well, this means the mayor will finally move. And we can continue visiting the festival."

"Wait—" Brian realized this was the best chance he had to ask something. "...What's the festival about?"

In response, Apollo wagged his tail. "We're celebrating the foundation of the city! According to the legend, Zacian and Zamazenta fought a hard and arduous battle here. Later, they helped build the city."

"Oh…" Brian's eyes sparkled. "That's so cool!"

His brother had a dream of making a city as well. They were both young, but if they put their minds into it, it could be fulfilled.

Said brother was a little too busy to think about his dreams. Gawain was fast and relentless, jumping and swinging the blades, launching more fire projectiles—each one was a sword in its own right.

"Tch…" Lance did his best to dodge all of them, blocking some with the clubs. The last time he did so, Gawain dropped, slashing at Lance's face.

He had just enough time to move, but the blade still cut through part of his snout, drawing a bit of blood. Close enough!

Lance and Gawain clashed with their weapons, launching another gust of wind. Each one looking at the other, moving left and right, front and back, trying to best the other and finally make the attack connect.

I'm not that good at swords, but I can still hold my own! It's just that… he's good as well!

To get an advantage, Lance had to think. And think fast. His current arsenal was limited. Only two moves were capable of dealing actual damage, and one was hard to pull off. Not to mention how it left him feeling.

"Drop dead already!" Gawain urged, moving away a few inches. His blades were coated in ectoplasm, coming straight from his ghostly nature, and he prepared to claw at his opponent.

Lance blocked the blades again with his clubs, paws twitching from the pressure. Even while holding the attack back, he saw the blades just inches away from his eyes. S-Shadow Claw, but with actual blades… like I thought, he's not joking around. He really wants to kill me.

…But he didn't. Cultist or not, Lance wasn't taking another life, not again. He wasn't taking the fight seriously enough. If he tried too hard, he could kill Gawain. If Lance held back, he'd die. Clearly, the solution was to do something somewhere along the middle of both options.

"I know who you are. You're Scar's top prodigy… I've heard a lot about you." Gawain said, his eyes burning up. "If you're here, that means the plan failed."

"..." Lance made up his mind. He ducked, dissipating the clubs and swiftly dodging a slash by backflipping just in time, putting some distance between the two. "Your plan worked, and I was possessed. But I survived, just like I always have."

Gawain cracked his neck, before focusing. One arm was raised, absorbing energy again. The other was full of ectoplasm again. "A failure… I can't have that. Perhaps it was fate that brought you to me, so I can make Master Scar proud."

Once again, absorbing. But what— Lance looked up at the sky, seeing the sun shining as brightly as ever, though the snow was still quite dense regardless of the light. "That's—"

Too much of a distraction. Gawain ran ahead, spinning his body and slashing at Lance's chest, using both blades. This time, the attack was more impactful than before, and blood dripped from the Lucario's stomach.

"WARGH!"

"This is for him! For ruining his plans! For ruining his life!" Gawain ignited the arm that was previously holding solar energy, and swung it down, trying to strike at Lance's face.

"No!"

Before the attack connected, Lance held the blade, grabbing it on the sides, preventing it from cutting him. However, it still burned, the heat causing him to wince.

"L-Listen. Listen very carefully. I'm here because I fought Necrozma, because I survived, and because I know what the world you want is like. And… I don't want that kind of world!"

With all the strength he had, Lance grasped the blade tighter, before throwing it—and by extension, Gawain— away from him, creating a gap between them.

More blood dripped on the snow, coating it red. His paws still burned, and Lance was left panting, looking down at the ground. "You think this is bad? Do you really think so? I've suffered far greater pain. You couldn't even give me a new scar."

"And yet, I'm not the one losing here." Gawain ignited the blades again. If they struck, he could siphon away some of Lance's vitality, turning the tides in his favor. "If you really are Necrozma's vessel, you should be proud. You had a part in saving the world."

He did save the world—just not in the way Gawain was thinking. "...Hmph."

Lance took a deep breath; and he sped up again, clashing against the blade Gawain possessed. This time, the shockwave behind him raised chunks of snow in the air. In response, Gawain struggled to defend against the attack, slowly being pushed back.

"..." the Lucario kept quiet, before jumping back and forward again, swinging his club as if it was a sword. Sparks came out whenever it collided against Gawain's blade.

"W-What is this?! No more words?!"

"..." Lance didn't reply. He spun his body, before striking the club directly on the left side of Gawain's abdomen.

It struck a nerve, and the Ceruledge stumbled, screaming out in pain. Lance didn't let him rest, however, and jumped again, swinging the club like it was a sword, hitting his opponent on the top of his head.

There was time for more attacks. Lance quickly created another club and started to hit Gawain with it, moving forward, while his opponent was pressed back by the flurry of attacks hitting him.

Eventually, Gawain fell to the ground, groaning and wincing in pain. "Y-You…"

"I'm… I'm done here." Lance dissipated his clubs, looking away. "I don't want to kill you. I'm just here to subdue you."

"S-Subdue me… for wanting to be saved?"

Lance kept his look elsewhere. "You have an awful definition of saved. Stay down, and I'll call my boss. He'll finish this."

Impossible. Gawain was one of the few that remained that could continue Scar's work. And he wasn't getting defeated by that, that… vessel.

Gawain moved just enough to ignite his arm one more time, before slashing at the air and launching a flaming blade right towards Lance. He didn't react in time, and screamed louder than he did before.

"AAAAARGH!" Lance cried out, falling to the ground just like Gawain had done before.

"H-Hah… h-hahahahah!" Gawain kicked Lance while he was down, sending him rolling back a few feet. "You're nothing but a vessel! And you think you can take me down!"

Lance groaned. Everything in his chest burnt, everything hurt. And now he was receiving trash talk. Not for long. He winced, forcing himself to stand. "I only have one thing to say. You're despicable."

"Maybe I am, but I'm the one leaving here in one piece!"

"Not… on my watch." Lance panted. He'd have to try that, and while it was despicable on its own, he had little to no choice. No emera for mega evolving, no items to help. Only his own strength was going to help. "You called me a vessel. That's what he called me, too."

Lance looked down, closing his eyes. This was strange, gathering energy like that. Like pulling from something deep within him, something he wanted to rip to shreds, but couldn't. He wanted its power, though. The power to finish this fight.

A purple aura cloaked his body in its entirety, wobbling around like it had no shape. Gawain raised a brow at that, but refused to back down. "I'll just have to rip you to shreds!"

His blades ignited again, brighter than before. This was it—the end of their fight. Gawain started to run, melting the snow as his feet touched it.

Meanwhile, the aura on Lance's body started to take a familiar shape. Wings and a draconic head were imposed behind him. Gawain stopped for a split second.

M-Master Necrozma?!

No, it couldn't be. And besides, this attack would end it. He continued to run, getting closer to Lance.

"I'm not sure how the knowledge of using Dragon Pulse was transmitted to me, but… I at least learned another move." Lance held his breath in, before letting it out. The aura moved towards his arm.

Both fighters ran towards each other, and in the blink of an eye… they clashed. Gusts of wind were sent across the area, shockwaves erupting as Gawain tried to contain the pulse being sent towards his body.

Lance didn't give up. Once his paw met the blade, he let the pulse flow through his body, into Gawain's. And that was all it took. Gawain was unable to contain it, and the energy coursed through him, pain enveloping every bit of him.

And then he fell one last time, unconscious. Lance was left standing, but in pain. His paw was still glowing with energy, to the point purple cracks coursed through him, like they were veins.

"Grrrr…" Lance put his paw on the snow, before letting the energy go. A puddle formed, after all the snow he touched melted. "H-Hah. I guess my body can't handle it completely. Maybe with training. But… I'm not sure I want to."

He won the battle, at least. For better or for worse. "One less target. I'm getting closer to coming back to them…"

Brian had to carry all the prizes they got from the wrestling match. Sure, he was happy to have them, but why did he have to carry them all? It wouldn't be a challenge for, say, Dex to carry them.

"Alright, I gotta admit. Was fun." Dex chuckled, grinning at his friends. "And, y'know, it's time to celebrate! I got friends by my side, I won a tournament, and I got to have fun! Things could be better, yeah, but still! I'm happy!"

Meggie was captivated by how excited her friend seemed to be, but he also made a good point. Things could be better. She knew better than to focus on that, though.

"Yeah, I'm cooking something good for us when we get back home." Brian stretched his arms. If anything, Lance not being there meant they didn't have to eat… whatever he cooked. It could hardly be called food. Poison was a better name.

"Pasta, right, Goggles?"

"Right."

Before they left the street, however, the team heard fireworks. Indeed, after checking out the sky, they saw the fireworks in action, exploding in the distance, in various colors. Most of them were blue and red, but there was a bit of gold as well.

"Pretty…" Meggie said, her eyes sparkling. "All this to celebrate legends?"

"Aye." Dex crossed his arms. "Dunno who they 'ad to fight, but it musta been a real tough opponent."

Brian raised a brow. "You know about this, Dex?"

Oh boy. He was ready for an explanation! "Aye, Goggles. I've heard they fought fer seven days an' seven nights, without any kind o' break."

That long? An entire week fighting… Brian was tired just from battling Necrozma for a few hours, he couldn't fathom spending days in a battle.

Even if they won the battle, he knew they weren't on the same level of an actual god. Maybe they never would. Not that he wanted to be.

"Wow…" it was all he could say in response.

"It's impressive. Do you know if it actually happened?" Meggie asked Dex, but still looked at the fireworks.

He shrugged in response. "Dunno. I didn't believe it at first, but now, it's different. Maybe it happened, maybe it didn't."

"Either way, it's an interesting legend." Brian added. "And… I kinda wanna point out something."

Maybe he made the wrong choice, because both his teammates were looking straight at him. Now he had to collect his thoughts.

Most of them were about strength. How they had a hard time fighting Necrozma, how they barely won. It was enough back then, but what about the future? Brian didn't want to be weak. Not if it meant losing those he cared about.

"Uh… I may not be strong as Necrozma, or a legend, but… I wanna do my best." Brian smiled. His sights were set on his friends, his teammates. "Lance and I… we helped this city before. We wanted to help Pokémon everywhere. I dunno if we achieved that, but I want to keep trying."

"You helped me." Meggie told him, holding one of Brian's paws. "You all did. That's enough, right?"

Dex wasn't going to hug or interrupt that sweet moment between the couple, but he still had things to say. "Think I got what Goggles means. He wants to get stronger. We should all try to do that."

"That's what I want. I'll continue to fight, for me and for those I love. Nothing like… like what happened with Necrozma will happen again."

Brian decided to do something a bit different. He extended his arm, offering a paw… to both of them. "We helped this city get a proper mayor, and we stopped a mad god. We're pretty amazing in our own right!"

"Hm… I love the speeches you do." Meggie shook his paw, tilting her head with a smile. "Of course we are!"

"Aw, sheesh… yer gonna make me cry, Goggles!" Dex shook the Zoroark's paw next. "An' we're gonna make this a good place for Pup to return to!"

However long it took for him to get back.

A/N: On this day, three years ago, I posted my first fanfic. It ran for 2 years, and then I finished it. I'm still surprised that I made it this far, and I couldn't have done it without the support of so many people. So... I wrote another chapter, a bit of a celebration for these three years. Thanks, everyone.

Top Bottom