• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon PMD: Bad Duck [Interactive]

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Partners
  1. aromatisse
GOD this is a somber scene- and yet the humor remains punchy and solid.
Love your writing style as always kyeugh :letsgorb::letsgorb::letsgorb:

(if Master Tibius is still feeling chatty)
> I think they might exile me.. do you have any recommendations where I should go?

(and / otherwise)
> Head into town early, and make your apologies as you pass the shopkeepers and those still willing to acknowledge you

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
I think they might exile me.. do you have any recommendations where I should go?
gLFKZu4.png
"Before you go, uh..." You tap your feathers together a little anxiously. "To be honest, I'm pretty sure they're gonna exile me. I have no clue where to go. If you were exiled too... do you have any advice?"

Master Tibius shifts his weight a little. "Hmph." Then he starts drawing something in the dirt with his bone. It takes him a minute or two to finish, and when he does, he puts his hands on his hips and gives it a long look, tail thumping.

"The village instructors don't see fit to teach their children geography anymore, eh? Very well. I have drawn for you a map of the surrounding area."

JWTkFKb.png

"Well, I know we're at Last Hill," you say.

"Your intellect slices."

You suppress a scowl. "What's all the swirly stuff?"

"That is the Mother Mountain Mystery Dungeon. Esinuculke. 'Beyond age.' It surrounds this village from all sides. To arrive here from within the mystery dungeon is quite easy. In fact, the challenge is ending up anywhere else." His face twitches from behind his skull-helm. "The dungeon twists and turns no matter which course you take within its bowels, and almost always its wayfarers are spit out here, at Last Hill."

"Did you really have to phrase it like that?"

"There is one way through," the marowak continues, ignoring your comment. "Zorua's Pass. Cúlamnenne. The Foxway. This follows the course of an ancient stream, now dry, which once emptied the weepings of the Mother Mountain into a great spring. Boiling Water. It is a far greater city than this. You will find people there who can guide you further." He bows his head.

"One more thing. If you become lost in the dungeon... Do not stop. Always be moving, or you will be left behind."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

The marowak doesn't answer you. He just peers up at the sun, shading his eyes with a hand.

"It is time for your trial. Go, little one."

"Goodbye, Master."

"Goodbye. Do not die."

Your trip up the great mound at the center of the village is... great. Did they really need to build this thing so fucking tall? Just seems like a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

Your lungs are burning by the time you crest the top. Looks like you're not the first one there—the ceremonial fire is already billowing a great column of smoke and ember into the sky, not unlike like a black tower of judgment if you were being poetic and shit.

There's a smattering of people here already—you spot Pot Monkey and Perry, sure as shit, and your mom. Even Master Tibius is here. How the fuck did that guy beat you? The rest is random towngoers, most of them wearing nasty scowls and pointing them at you. Some of them you certainly remember wronging. Some you don't. Man. You've done so much mischief you lost track. This town really will be better off without you.

Notably, the village chief is missing. Looks like you're off the hook for at least another couple minutes until he shows up. You could go chat around for a little bit to kill time, or you could just wait it out—maybe socializing before your life-altering trial isn't the best look, after all, but how much do looks really matter at this point anyway.

alczcR3.png

Negrek

komorebi
Staff
The return! :quag:

Master Tibius having a human skull helmet is so sweet but also so fucking creepy, lmao. Certainly hope we'll be able to catch up with some of these characters after we're exiled, somehow...

> Anybody you feel like you ought to apologize to before you leave for presumably-ever? Maybe go do that.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
You must consult with Pot Monkey. Someone as cool as him surely has some great advice to give you. Maybe some pot to take the edge off, too.

You're not sure you really want more weed right now, since you still have the joint Pot Monkey gave you earlier. But a little advice wouldn't hurt.

"Hey, guys. Thanks for coming," you say as you approach your pals.

"OHMYGOSH IT'S THE LADY OF THE HOUR! HI AGAIN ESHER!" Perry screams apparently at the top of his lungs. His voice seems to echo across the valley below. Some onlookers shake their heads at you.

"Hey, Perry," you say. "So I guess this is it, huh? I'm curious, what would you guys do in my situation? What do you think the right move is?"

"WELL, I WOULD PROBABLY SAY EXACTLY WHAT THE MAYOR WANTS TO HEAR TO GET MY SENTENCE LIGHTENED A LITTLE, PERSONALLY," Perry replies. "MAYBE YOU COULD SAY IT WAS ALL AN ACCIDENT. AND COMPLIMENT HIS BEARD FOR SURE. HE LOVES THAT THING! ALSO, YOUR MOM IS PRETTY FAMOUS, SO MAYBE YOU COULD CALL ON HER TO VOUCH FOR YOU. YEAH, THAT'LL WORK!"

"Uh-huh. And what about you, Pot Monkey?"

LhBlHR7.png
tUkHu2x.png

The monferno strokes his chin in consideration of the question, his bloodshot eyes looking into the infinite expanse for an answer. After a while, he throws up a mighty shrug and makes an inarticulate sound that kind of seems like it might be to the cadence of "iunno." It might be the most you've ever heard him say.

His lackadaisical attitude is truly aspirational. Even when faced with exile, he would simply be a chilled out relaxed guy. God he is so fucking cool.

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Partners
  1. aromatisse
"The village instructors don't see fit to teach their children geography anymore, eh? Very well. I have drawn for you a map of the surrounding area."
Love the map you drew here!! I'd wondered about the stylized tiled pattern, and OOOGH how you represent mystery dungeons is lovely

> Spend some time with Mom. Give her a hug.
> Tell Mom about trying to reach Boiling Water. Would she want you to write a letter when you make it there?

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
>Maybe some apologies are in order. Think everyone will accept them?
>Hey, you're the daughter of a famous chef, right? Maybe some cooking skills could be useful once you're on your way to Boiling Water. Asking Mom to teach you may be out of the question, but there has to be a way for you to learn.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
> Anybody you feel like you ought to apologize to before you leave for presumably-ever? Maybe go do that.
>Maybe some apologies are in order. Think everyone will accept them?

You're not sure you have enough time to apologize to give an apology to everyone who deserves one—that would probably take more time than you have left. But you do spot Farmer Oliver in the crowd, looking quite unhappy. That's the guy whose corn you stole to... well, you know. You figure you can make your way over to him and make what amends you can.

Nzy7ucS.png

"Hey, Farmer Oliver," you say, tapping your fingers. "I just wanted to say... I'm sorry about everything. I know it doesn't count for much at this point, but I legitimately feel bad for what I did. You're a hard worker and you provide a lot of value to the community. I understand that. You didn't deserve what I did to your crops."

VkujT6O.png

"I'm actually really glad to hear you say that," Oliver says with a gentle smile. "I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see you grovel in your lowest moment. Thanks but no thanks for the apology. I don't want to see you again. I hope the elder sentences you to fucking die!"

Well, okay. Can't win 'em all.

> Spend some time with Mom. Give her a hug.
> Tell Mom about trying to reach Boiling Water. Would she want you to write a letter when you make it there?
>Hey, you're the daughter of a famous chef, right? Maybe some cooking skills could be useful once you're on your way to Boiling Water. Asking Mom to teach you may be out of the question, but there has to be a way for you to learn.
You're sure you'll see her after your sentencing. For now, you can't bear to face her. Anxiety is written on her face like a long and flowery novel. Besides, you're not sure now is the right time for cooking advice.

Just as you're contemplating what to do next, a shadow passes over the clearing. You might mistake it for a passing cloud—but the sky is clear. Your heart becomes molten. You know what will come next.

The Elder descends from the sky, so huge and mighty that his landing sends a breeze rushing over you even from twenty yards away. Even the great bonfire on the platform flickers a little, then roars back bigger than ever, sending a curtain of blood-ruby embers into the sky.

"Here I am," the Elder rasps in his stony, rumbling way.

And there he is indeed. A mountain of fluff and scale and pretense, arrived to weigh your soul.

A5DiPN9.png

The Trial.

"Eschalotte Kurrat, the guilty," he booms. "Ascend the platform. I would see you through the flames."

Heart in your throat, you do as the Elder commands. Your body seems to resist you—you feel every ounce of your weight, each step up the worn wooden stairs like lifting a huge sack of rice over your head. The fire is almost unbearably hot on your face when you reach the top. Almost as uncomfortable and nauseating as the feeling of every pair of eyes in the village on your back.

The Elder cranes his massive neck to see you better, twinkling little eyes straining. "Ah. I see you now. Eschalotte. How big you have grown. How... disobedient."

Your voice is molten in your throat, but somehow you manage to speak even over his thunderous breaths, over the harsh crackle of flame. "If it's alright with you, Elder, I would just like to hear my sentencing. I've been shamed enough."

The Elder makes a deep rumble. You're not sure if it's laughter or grumbling. "So you have, have you? Ah... I have known you since you were quickening yolk. I love you as I love all members of this village. Might I not mourn what I lose, too? Mmm. Very well. Long have I meditated on this matter. Your sentencing."

He pauses, and the heat and sound of flame torture you.

eh2rLgx.png

"I have considered your position in this village. It is one of discord. You sow chaos for your own amusement. I had hoped you would grow out of this, given time, but you have only become bolder. You have not acquired skills as I had hoped, or realized your role in this place. You have only grown more adept at your troublemaking."

Ouch. Didn't you just ask to stop with the shaming? You're surprised he didn't go for gold and take a shot at your virginity.

"It has brought me to wonder... perhaps you are bored. Unstimulated. Unchallenged. Perhaps this place, this village, is too small for you."

It's everything you have not to laugh out loud at the absurdity of that sentence coming from an actual talking fucking mountain.

"Eschallote Kurrat, I hearby exile you from the village of Last Hill. When the next sun rises, we will close our doors to you—your words will be as wind to our ears. Your life will wind on, but it will be away from us—away from this place. So it shall be."

It's funny: the words don't crush you. If anything, you feel... relief? It's over. And it went essentially as you expected. The best outcome you could have hoped for, really; you were prepared for this. You take a deep breath, and suddenly the fire in front of you doesn't feel quite so hot.

"There is another matter."

Holy fuck the fire feels so so hot

"Last Hill operates a small jail. You know this better than most. Ah. Since before you were born, this jail has only ever housed two individuals: yourself, and Peter the Piloswine. With your departure, it seems to me rather redundant to continue operating this facility solely for the sake of a single individual. What is to be done, then? Mm. The Foxway is perilous. I am not sure you are ready to brave it alone. Peter, however, is an experienced combatant..."

UiZ5qub.png

"You can't be serious," you plead.

"Mm. I am not like you, Eschalotte. I do not litter grave moments with humor." Despite that, his eyes twinkle a little. "You will be placed under the care of Peter the Piloswine immediately. I have seen to his unwavering loyalty. He will lay down his life for you if the need arises. You will embark before dawn. This is the justice I have determined. I adjourn this trial."

"Can't we talk about this?"

With a beat of his wings, the Elder is gone, leaving only the dancing grass and pirouetting flames.

What now?

Last edited:

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Having a partner by your side, even if they're not the brightest, is at least better than being all alone. But you can at least see how far you can go on your own before admitting that you really need the company. Oh, and don't forget to learn how to cook. You're gonna need some good food for the journey.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
Anyway, there's gotta be some way to avoid that ol' carpet. Meet up with him for now, but the moment you leave the village try to get away from him as fast as possible.
Good plan. You have half a mind to see how far you can get if you split now, but unfortunately the thought barely enters your head before you spot a pair of familiar faces in the crowd—one featureless as ever, one fucked up and angry as ever.

ComSBTX.png

"YOU," the Warden growls, extending a creepy mime finger your way. He marches towards you boots-a-stompin' with Peccary Pete sluggishly in tow. "Do you have any idea what you've done? Congratu-fucking-lations, soldier, you're the first one to ever fuck up being a criminal so bad that they shut the jail down. I've been working at that jail for a hundred years. A hundred fuckin' years. Since before your mama's was an egg in her mama's egg sack. And now I'm out of a job. I don't even know how I'm going to put dinner on the table now. Everything's in fucking pieces. Fucking pieces. I'm in awe that you managed to blow things up in such a big way on your way out. Gods, what I'd give to wrap my gloves around your little throat..."

"You really have no idea how the avian reproductive system works, do you?" you ask.

"Seriously? That's it? Do you have a single other fuckin' thing to say for yourself?" the Warden demands.

"Uhh..."

zWUrjHB.png

You consider the question carefully. You have put this guy through a lot. And now he's unemployed you guess? You certainly didn't mean for that to happen, although you feel he should be directing his rage at the Elder instead. On the other hand, this guy's been a big dick to you for a long time. Sure, you tormented him a bit, but you only torment people who deserve it. Okay, so you tormented Farmer Oliver too, but you apologized for that, so it doesn't really count.

Your response finally comes to you.

"Nope. Bye!"

OEb2yTT.png

You run and run and run like a little piloswine all the way home. Even your flight-adapted lungs are burning halfway down the great mound, and your legs are on fire, but still you charge onward. You can't afford for these guys to catch up with you—if you're really going to be stuck with Peccary Pete into perpetuity, you at least need a little bit of time in private to collect your things and say goodbye to your mom. So on you dash, despite your body's every protest, until your doorstep is in sight. You take a minute to catch your breath. At the speed you were going, and the speed Pete is capable of, you'd say you have a good half hour or more to yourself.

so8aKgF.png

pOqOZHG.png

He's... right behind me, isn't he?

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Partners
  1. aromatisse
> Esch: Greet Pete: "So, you wanna meet my mom?"
> Peccary Pete: Consider new name... Great Pete
> Great Pete: Consider... free non-prison food

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
  5. farfetchd
> Esch: Greet Pete: "So, you wanna meet my mom?"
"Uh... Hey, Peccary Pete. Welcome to my house? I guess? God this is fucking weird."

Peccary Pete snorfs at you.

"Uh-huh. Well, feel free to hang out inside, I guess. No one else is here because I sprinted home about forty seconds after the trial ended and you... followed me here somehow... So if you want to meet my mom you'll have to wait. But she loves company. I'm sure she'll make you a nice supper—hey!"

Evidently bored of your yapping, Peccary Pete bowls past you into your doorway and makes himself at home.

raXS67W.png

"Chives and crackers, dude. You can't just barge into someone else's house like that. Get a grip. Hey, stay away from the houseplants! That's not food!"

You're beginning to doubt whether Peccary Pete has the capacity to understand speech. He seems about as receptive to your pleading as the pidgey on your dad's grave was. Eventually you decide to just leave him to his snorfing. It's not like you wanted him here in the first place, so you can't really be blamed for any property damage he causes. At least you're pretty sure that's how that works.

UKqQ0qC.png

Instead of wasting your time with the rooting cretin, you turn to your bedroom. It probably wouldn't hurt to start packing what little you have. Your leek is a must, obviously. There's an apple in here that might not hurt to bring. And you've got an extra set of sticks for your hair. It all looks a bit meager when you lay it out like that.

gNRDtqg.png

Maybe it will be a good thing to have Peccary Pete around on the trail. That guy doesn't take no for an answer and knows exactly where to find food, as you've learned in the past two minutes. Fucking asshole.

Anything else you should look for to pack?

Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. rowlet
  2. koraidon-apex
Hey, remember. Cooking supplies. One apple might not be enough for the whole trip. What if Pete eats it before you do? Worst case scenario, he becomes emergency food. You'll need whatever Mom can let you bring from the kitchen, so better grab it now. And if she sees you, better explain.

canisaries

you should've known the price of evil
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. inkay-shirlee
  2. houndoom-elliot
  3. yamask-joanna
  4. shuppet
  5. deerling-andre
Top Bottom