• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
In Orre, a rainbow glowed above a tower, and an age of shadow ended.

In Johto, a tower fell in rainbow flames, and three new lives began.

Wes has never believed in second chances, but perhaps in a place as strange as Johto, anything is possible.

Warnings: None

Author's Notes: This is a one-shot I wrote for Snagged! A Pokémon Colosseum Anniversary Zine, a zine celebrating Pokémon Colosseum's 20th anniversary. Definitely worth checking out--if you haven't already seen it, the art piece HelloYellow17 did for it is stunning!

Peregrine

There weren't even any guards, nothing but a couple of warning signs and a rusted-out fence. Wes would have preferred more security, really. Better chance that he'd have the place to himself.

Well, technically he'd never have that, with Rui following him. But by this point she hardly counted.

"We don't have to do this here, you know," she said for what had to be the hundredth time. "They won’t care. It's not like this is their home." She was already ducking through the fence after him, her words hushed. The remains of the tower loomed overhead, deep shadows pooling in its empty windows, broken beams bone-white under the moon.

Wes didn't reply, hands in the pockets of his jacket as he walked straight up to the building's ancient wooden doors. They’d been nailed shut with boards that looked nearly as ancient, but they still held. It was Umbreon, flickering in and out of shadow, who found the easy way in, a low and empty window, the bars across it long since splintered away.

"Do we really have to go inside?" Rui asked, still in that near-whisper. "Why not let them out here? You know they're only going to run off."

"Probably," Wes said. Three pokéballs clacked together beneath his fingers, deep in his pocket. "This is where they belong, though. We've come all this way. We might as well do things properly."

There was something almost familiar about the tower. Not the humid night air, no, or the sound of crickets from the grass. Wes still wasn't over how green Johto was, so much so that even the air smelled different, like all the plants around him were breathing out at once.

But this broken-down building, the graffiti carved into its boards, the odd bright-colored scrap of rubbish blown into a corner--those were familiar enough. Wes knew neglect. It was strange to think that creatures like the ones in his pocket would ever come from such a decrepit place as this.

Inside, the light from Umbreon's rings showed broken furniture and hole-scored floorboards in stark relief. Wes thought he could hear someone murmuring far off, perhaps in some alcove he couldn't see, and tensed. He still kept a knife with him, of course, not to mention Umbreon and Espeon and a few of the others who hadn't wanted to leave. Despite how much he told himself he was scarier than anything that could be hiding in this darkness, his body remembered the old days.

The murmuring noise came again, closer. Umbreon growled, fur bristling, and a moment later a huge grin swam at Wes out of the gloom. The smile split open in a spectral laugh, an overlong tongue flapping grotesquely, and Wes relaxed when he realized, oh, yeah, a gastly, wasn't it? He didn't even need to signal for Umbreon to chase it off.

That was something else Wes hadn't gotten used to. So many pokémon. Pokémon everywhere. Living with humans, living in the wild. Cramming every free corner, even a tumbledown ruin like this.

"Well, we're inside now," Rui said. "Shall we get this over with?"

"What? You're not afraid of ghosts, are you?"

"I'm afraid of breaking my neck when the floor goes out from under me."

"Umbreon'll keep an eye out for you." Wes ventured further into the room, boots ringing hollow on what he had to admit felt like rickety floorboards.

"What are you looking for?" Rui asked. Her footsteps sounded behind him. Of course. She was never not going to follow.

"I'll know it when I see it."

There were other people here. No voices, but now and again a shadow-shape, the glow of a cigarette--too high off the ground to be a magmar, now that Wes had seen and gotten over his surprise at finding those roaming around here. If Rui noticed anything, she gave no sign. Wes still wasn't sure whether she'd learned to see danger the way he had.

The tower wasn't large, now that all but a couple of floors had disintegrated into ash. Not much space to search. About the only way to go was down, putting altogether too much faith in the rickety ladder leaned against the edge of a hole in the floor that gaped into darkness.

"You can't be serious," Rui muttered as Wes started down. She knew he was serious.

Even before his eyes adjusted, Wes knew he'd found the right place. The basement smelled earthy, almost rotten, a scent that reminded Wes of the Relic Stone. Here there were no green things growing, none of the water that ran like blood through Agate Village, but there was the same feeling of something ancient, something of a different time.

His PDA lit up the remains of an altar, probably restored sometime after the building burned but since fallen back into disuse. It was draped in dark, rotting fabric, the wall behind adorned with the shredded remains of tapestries. Here and there stars gleamed where the holes in the floor overhead lined up with the holes in the tower's walls.

Rui could feel it too, of course. "This is the place," she said. Wes pulled the pokéballs from his pocket and released them all at once by way of reply.

The flash of light was blinding, and Wes cursed himself for not closing his eyes before pulling a stunt like that. He had to school himself not to flinch and only stand there, blinking furiously until the basement resolved around him again. Stand there despite the overwhelming presence of the pokémon, the smoky scent that filled the air around Entei, the fizz of sparks through Raikou's fur, the gentle breeze that stirred whereve Suicune passed. Wes couldn't hear Umbreon, but he knew the dark-type would be at his side. Not ready to fight, not when he'd had to accept these pokémon as teammates already, but always alert, as prepared for trouble as Wes.

As his vision returned Wes found the pokémon shaking off disorientation, blinking around at the dark of the basement, shifting on their huge paws. They'd instinctively bunched in a half-circle, but surely they knew this place. They must be able to smell that they were back in Johto, in their old home, exactly as Wes had promised them.

They were wary now, but at least they could be wary. Their eyes were free of the deadened gleam that could at any moment blossom into mindless anger, and now they would be free, too, of the machines that had bound them. The pokémon watched as Wes dropped the pokéballs in the dirt and stomped them into shards. They might not understand modern technology if they really were hundreds of years old, but even they had to know what that meant.

"Good luck out there," Rui said. She raised a hesitant hand up to Entei. The big fire-type gave it a wary look but didn't make any move to resist when she stretched up to pat the side of its neck.

Wes grinned while the other two eyed him uneasily. "No, you know me. I'm not big on the mushy stuff. I'm just here to say goodbye."

Umbreon stood out in front of him, rings glowing on and off. His tail was straight up in the air, and he didn't make any sound that Wes could hear, but for a moment Suicune bent down to sniff at him, something that no doubt meant a lot to a pokémon. Wes had been working with these three for months, but still he felt he barely understood them, knew as much from the partial fragments of stories he'd heard as he'd learned from personal experience. He didn't know whether they'd really been so different from the rest of his team or if he'd kept them at a greater distance, afraid of their reputation and the extent of their power.

Suicune raised its head again, pointing its snout towards the stars peeking through the ruined ceiling. It called out in its high, wild voice, and the other two raised their heads as well, listening, finding who-knew-what in that strange noise. Then Suicune charged, traveling so fast Wes had to brace himself so the wind of its passage didn’t bowl him over. Raikou shot past on the other side, then Entei, and then the basement was abruptly cold and still again, Wes' coat flapping back to rest, clouds of dust settling gently to the floor.

Rui lowered the hands she'd put up to shield herself. "I told you they were going to run off."

"I know." Wes stayed where he was, looking up at the ruined altar, the dark shadows that had once been tapestries behind it.

"That's the last of them," Rui said from behind him. "It's really over, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"What now?"

She'd asked that before, too. Oh, more than once. More than a dozen times. Soon enough Wes was actually going to have to come up with an answer. "Do you want to go back?" Rui prompted after a moment. By now she was used to prompting.

"I don't know." Umbreon was looking up at Wes now, too, red eyes calm but intent. Wes leaned down so that the pokémon could jump up into his arms.

"Don't try to distract me with cuteness," Rui said while Wes scratched behind Umbreon's ears. "You've got to decide at some point. There aren't any more shadow pokémon to release. You don't have that excuse anymore."

"I'll figure it out." And before Rui could say what was clearly on her mind, "Soon. I promise."

Everything in Johto was strange. In the first week they were here Wes had spent hours sitting under the awning of the Goldenrod Pokémon Center, watching rain fall. So much water, so much green. It wasn't his world.

But after the rain ended the sky had glowed with rainbows. Wes had only ever seen a single one before, when the huge bird had circled Realgam Tower, crying triumph across the desert. Another pokémon that belonged here but had ended up in Orre somehow. And now Wes had made the reverse journey, followed the arc of that rainbow back to the great bird's roost.

Orre was where Wes had always lived. Where he belonged.

Or maybe where he belonged was a choice now. Maybe Wes could stay here and learn what it was like to live without looking over his shoulder.

Or maybe he'd never stop looking, stop watching, in this place with too many trees. At least the desert provided no cover for whatever might be stalking you.

Wes set Umbreon down again and flicked a berry from his pocket up above the pokémon's snout. They just grew everywhere around here, wild, for anyone to take. Umbreon snatched the berry easily and gulped it down without even chewing.

"And what are you going to do?" Wes asked Rui.

She crossed her arms and gave him a mock-stern frown. "Well, what I'm going to do right now is go back to the Pokémon Center, wash off all the dust I picked up from traipsing around in a building that's condemned, and then go to bed like a normal person."

Wes smiled into her disapproval. "Sounds like a plan. Let's get going, then." He turned back to the ladder. Hopefully it would take their weight for the climb back up. Rui would never let him hear the end of it otherwise.

She was still following him after they'd gone up and out and were under the stars again, on their way back to Ecruteak City. And that, at last, felt like something Wes could trust.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, was going around to square away some of the authors on my reading hitlist, and while I actually had hoped to get to you a bit earlier during this Review Blitz, I suppose that ‘late’ is better than ‘never’. Though an Orre one-shot, huh? Like I know that Salvage apparently winds up going there later in its run, but I never made it that far even in the old version, so it’ll be interesting to see where this (apparently Wes-focused) one-shot goes:

There weren't even any guards, nothing but a couple of warning signs and a rusted-out fence. Wes would have preferred more security, really. Better chance that he'd have the place to himself.

Well, technically he'd never have that, with Rui following him. But by this point she hardly counted.

Wait, what sort of dump in Johto did you two come across anyways? ^^;

"We don't have to do this here, you know," she said for what had to be the hundredth time. "They won’t care. It's not like this is their home." She was already ducking through the fence after him, her words hushed. The remains of the tower loomed overhead, deep shadows pooling in its empty windows, broken beams bone-white under the moon.

Oh, so they’re at the Burned Tower. So that’s what they were up to while Michael was being forced to deal with Cipher problems without them in XD, huh?

Wes didn't reply, hands in the pockets of his jacket as he walked straight up to the building's ancient wooden doors. They’d been nailed shut with boards that looked nearly as ancient, but they still held. It was Umbreon, flickering in and out of shadow, who found the easy way in, a low and empty window, the bars across it long since splintered away.

"Do we really have to go inside?" Rui asked, still in that near-whisper. "Why not let them out here? You know they're only going to run off."

Oh, so he’s letting the Legendary Beasts go back home, I see. That actually makes me wonder when this is set chronologically relative to the plot of GSC.

"Probably," Wes said. Three pokéballs clacked together beneath his fingers, deep in his pocket. "This is where they belong, though. We've come all this way. We might as well do things properly."

I actually wonder if they’ll put up any initial resistance to the idea, since Wes did purify the Gerbils if we roll with the Orre games sharing a timeline with the mainline ones, so you’d think they’d have grown on him a bit.

There was something almost familiar about the tower. Not the humid night air, no, or the sound of crickets from the grass. Wes still wasn't over how green Johto was, so much so that even the air smelled different, like all the plants around him were breathing out at once.

But this broken-down building, the graffiti carved into its boards, the odd bright-colored scrap of rubbish blown into a corner--those were familiar enough. Wes knew neglect. It was strange to think that creatures like the ones in his pocket would ever come from such a decrepit place as this.

Well, I guess the disrespect for property by teenage punks doesn’t take a break even for centuries-old ruins. ^^;

Inside, the light from Umbreon's rings showed broken furniture and hole-scored floorboards in stark relief. Wes thought he could hear someone murmuring far off, perhaps in some alcove he couldn't see, and tensed. He still kept a knife with him, of course, not to mention Umbreon and Espeon and a few of the others who hadn't wanted to leave. Despite how much he told himself he was scarier than anything that could be hiding in this darkness, his body remembered the old days.

I wonder, is this based off of Wes’ depiction in OSAS where he has a Skarmory feather knife, or did that happen to be convergent evolution. Either way, I could buy it since even before accounting for how Orre’s a craphole, a knife would be a genuinely useful tool out in the Orrean wilderness.

The murmuring noise came again, closer. Umbreon growled, fur bristling, and a moment later a huge grin swam at Wes out of the gloom. The smile split open in a spectral laugh, an overlong tongue flapping grotesquely, and Wes relaxed when he realized, oh, yeah, a gastly, wasn't it? He didn't even need to signal for Umbreon to chase it off.

That was something else Wes hadn't gotten used to. So many pokémon. Pokémon everywhere. Living with humans, living in the wild. Cramming every free corner, even a tumbledown ruin like this.

Yeah, this definitely feels like a “what I got up to while Michael was busy with XD” episode, since they’re very specifically only available in Colosseum while the Legendary Birds are very specifically only available in XD.

"Well, we're inside now," Rui said. "Shall we get this over with?"

"What? You're not afraid of ghosts, are you?"

"I'm afraid of breaking my neck when the floor goes out from under me."

[ ]

"Umbreon'll keep an eye out for you." Wes ventured further into the room, boots ringing hollow on what he had to admit felt like rickety floorboards.

"What are you looking for?" Rui asked. Her footsteps sounded behind him. Of course. She was never not going to follow.

"I'll know it when I see it."

I kinda wonder if it’d have made sense to throw in some sort of description or internal commentary to split up this chunk of dialogue here, e.x. if Wes has any immediate gauge on said floorboards before he steps on them and goes “okay, yeah, this is kinda precarious”.

There were other people here. No voices, but now and again a shadow-shape, the glow of a cigarette--too high off the ground to be a magmar, now that Wes had seen and gotten over his surprise at finding those roaming around here. If Rui noticed anything, she gave no sign. Wes still wasn't sure whether she'd learned to see danger the way he had.

Oh boy, that’s certainly ominous there.
827659294400970753.webp

The tower wasn't large, now that all but a couple of floors had disintegrated into ash. Not much space to search. About the only way to go was down, putting altogether too much faith in the rickety ladder leaned against the edge of a hole in the floor that gaped into darkness.

"You can't be serious," Rui muttered as Wes started down. She knew he was serious.

Rui, this is the guy who started his story by blowing up his old employer’s digs. He’s absolutely serious about this.

Even before his eyes adjusted, Wes knew he'd found the right place. The basement smelled earthy, almost rotten, a scent that reminded Wes of the Relic Stone. Here there were no green things growing, none of the water that ran like blood through Agate Village, but there was the same feeling of something ancient, something of a different time.

Huh, interesting point of comparison there, though I suppose it makes sense that Wes would draw this comparison. Since Agate Village is the only “vegetated and ancient” place in Orre.

His PDA lit up the remains of an altar, probably restored sometime after the building burned but since fallen back into disuse. It was draped in dark, rotting fabric, the wall behind adorned with the shredded remains of tapestries. Here and there, stars gleamed where the holes in the floor overhead lined up with the holes in the tower's walls.

Rui could feel it too, of course. "This is the place," she said. Wes pulled the pokéballs from his pocket and released them all at once by way of reply.

Why does this remind me so much of the official art of the Gerbils in this space from HGSS? Like this isn’t going to tee up that moment when Gold or Kris/Lyra comes across them for the first time… is it?

The flash of light was blinding, and Wes cursed himself for not closing his eyes before pulling a stunt like that. He had to school himself not to flinch and only stand there, blinking furiously until the basement resolved around him again. Stand there despite the overwhelming presence of the pokémon, the smoky scent that filled the air around Entei, the fizz of sparks through Raikou's fur, the gentle breeze that stirred wherever Suicune passed. Wes couldn't hear Umbreon, but he knew the dark-type would be at his side. Not ready to fight, not when he'd had to accept these pokémon as teammates already, but always alert, as prepared for trouble as Wes.

Well, so much for these three having grown attached to Wes during Purification.
827659294400970753.webp

As his vision returned Wes found the pokémon shaking off disorientation, blinking around at the dark of the basement, shifting on their huge paws. They'd instinctively bunched in a half-circle, but surely they knew this place. They must be able to smell that they were back in Johto, in their old home, exactly as Wes had promised them.

They were wary now, but at least they could be wary. Their eyes were free of the deadened gleam that could at any moment blossom into mindless anger, and now they would be free, too, of the machines that had bound them. The pokémon watched as Wes dropped the pokéballs in the dirt and stomped them into shards. They might not understand modern technology if they really were hundreds of years old, but even they had to know what that meant.

Wes: “So… uh… welcome home?”
701429736290910228.webp

"Good luck out there," Rui said. She raised a hesitant hand up to Entei. The big fire-type gave it a wary look but didn't make any move to resist when she stretched up to pat the side of its neck.

Wes grinned while the other two eyed him uneasily. "No, you know me. I'm not big on the mushy stuff. I'm just here to say goodbye."

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Umbreon stood out in front of him, rings glowing on and off. His tail was straight up in the air, and he didn't make any sound that Wes could hear, but for a moment Suicune bent down to sniff at him, something that no doubt meant a lot to a pokémon. Wes had been working with these three for months, but still he felt he barely understood them, knew as much from the partial fragments of stories he'd heard as he'd learned from personal experience. He didn't know whether they'd really been so different from the rest of his team or if he'd kept them at a greater distance, afraid of their reputation and the extent of their power.

I wonder if this means that Wes also did this with the other shadowmons he caught in Orre, or else if he and Rui still held onto some portion of them for themselves.

Suicune raised its head again, pointing its snout towards the stars peeking through the ruined ceiling. It called out in its high, wild voice, and the other two raised their heads as well, listening, finding who-knew-what in that strange noise. Then Suicune charged, traveling so fast Wes had to brace himself so the wind of its passage didn’t bowl him over. Raikou shot past on the other side, then Entei, and then the basement was abruptly cold and still again, Wes' coat flapping back to rest, clouds of dust settling gently to the floor.

Rui lowered the hands she'd put up to shield herself. "I told you they were going to run off."

inb4 they look up and see the GSC/HGSS protag peeking down from above.

"I know." Wes stayed where he was, looking up at the ruined altar, the dark shadows that had once been tapestries behind it.

"That's the last of them," Rui said from behind him. "It's really over, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"What now?"

Wes: “I mean, we could go back to Orre… I mean, even if it was still a craphole when we left, it was at least getting better?
701429736290910228.webp

She'd asked that before, too. Oh, more than once. More than a dozen times. Soon enough Wes was actually going to have to come up with an answer. "Do you want to go back?" Rui prompted after a moment. By now she was used to prompting.

"I don't know." Umbreon was looking up at Wes now, too, red eyes calm but intent. Wes leaned down so that the pokémon could jump up into his arms.

And thus began the reason why we never got to see Wes in XD. Since… yeah. After seeing a normal region where you don’t have to go out of your way to find Pokémon or else steal them from other trainers, I’d have second thoughts about going home, too.

"Don't try to distract me with cuteness," Rui said while Wes scratched behind Umbreon's ears. "You've got to decide at some point. There aren't any more shadow pokémon to release. You don't have that excuse anymore."

- Meanwhile back in Orre -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiJIw2j1zYY

"I'll figure it out." And before Rui could say what was clearly on her mind, "Soon. I promise."

Everything in Johto was strange. In the first week they were here Wes had spent hours sitting under the awning of the Goldenrod Pokémon Center, watching rain fall. So much water, so much green. It wasn't his world.

Yeah, I suppose that “it’s like Agate Village, but it just keeps going on and on” would be a pretty mindblowing experience to someone who’s only known Orre all their life.

But after the rain ended the sky had glowed with rainbows. Wes had only ever seen a single one before, when the huge bird had circled Realgam Tower, crying triumph across the desert. Another pokémon that belonged here but had ended up in Orre somehow. And now Wes had made the reverse journey, following the arc of that rainbow back to the great bird's roost.

thor-is-it-though-is-it-though.gif

Or maybe where he belonged was a choice now. Maybe Wes could stay here and learn what it was like to live without looking over his shoulder.

Or maybe he'd never stop looking, stop watching, in this place with too many trees. At least the desert provided no cover for whatever might be stalking you.

And then Wes promptly ran into a Team Rocket grunt a week after making the choice to make his Johtoan vacation permanent. Since just saying, that would definitely strip a lot of the charm off of things. :V

Wes set Umbreon down again and flicked a berry from his pocket up above the pokémon's snout. They just grew everywhere around here, wild, for anyone to take. Umbreon snatched the berry easily and gulped it down without even chewing.

"And what are you going to do?" Wes asked Rui.

She crossed her arms and gave him a mock-stern frown. "Well, what I'm going to do right now is go back to the Pokémon Center, wash off all the dust I picked up from traipsing around in a building that's condemned, and then go to bed like a normal person."

1laA_f.gif

Wes smiled into her disapproval. "Sounds like a plan. Let's get going, then." He turned back to the ladder. Hopefully it would take their weight for the climb back up. Rui would never let him hear the end of it otherwise.

She was still following him after they'd gone up and out and were under the stars again, on their way back to Ecruteak City. And that, at last, felt like something Wes could trust.

Whelp, looks like the decision of whether or not to stay out of the desert will have to wait for another day. Even if it’d be fun to imagine what those two would get up to so far away from home.

Alright, made it to the end of things. It’s a short and sweet piece that while on its face would make you go ‘huh?’, actually slots in quite well with what we know of the Orre games’ stories. After all, Wes and Rui are curiously absent from Orre through all of XD, and them going around putting back Pokémon where they belong including a set of gerbils very far away from home would be a plausible explanation for that. The characterization is also done very well, I’m not sure how much of it draws from Wes and Rui’s portrayals in OSAS since it’s certainly reminiscent of it, but the dynamic between the two as portrayed here is a nice contrast with each other where Wes’ strongheaded recklessness is counterbalanced by Rui’s more careful personality.

I don’t have a whole lot to complain about beyond a couple typos that I spotted, and one spot where I felt like there was a bit too much dialogue in a row that could’ve been broken up by some description or internal thought process from Wes. By and large, the one-shot was really polished, and did a good job at getting a lot communicated in not many words.

A very nice short and sweet piece here, @Negrek . And it definitely is up there for pieces that fans of the Orre games should check out if they have a little bit of time to spare.

Venia Silente

For your ills, I prescribe a cat.
At the 0-divisor point of the Riemann AU Earth
Pronouns
Él/Su
Partners
  1. nidorino
  2. blaziken
What if I told you that an Orre story caught my attention? And not just because Espeon + Umbreon = good.

Because it means a review for the 2023 Blitz!

From what I gather, Peregrine is about Wes (and by extension, Espeon and Umbreon) (oh and Rui, too) in Johto. Sounds like an interesting premise to me because it's placing Wes in a place in the world that is not a (memetic, even!) hellhole.

Wes would have preferred more security, really. Better chance that he'd have the place to himself.
And already his attitude about that doesn't disappoint son! I was pondering for a moment if Wes was like, "heck if this place was guarded I could even bomb it"!

So, it seems the objective for Wes (oh and Rui) is to get into the once sacred building, apparently to release some Pokémon even if it's not their home, so I wonder, who could it be dun dun duuuun. But the doors are closed shut! What can a protagonist do about such fateful circumstances?

It was Umbreon, flickering in and out of shadow, who found the easy way in, a low and empty window, the bars across it long since splintered away.
Umbreon: «Let's do crimes~»

Come on little terrorist, get on it, your Pokémon is beating you at [checks notes] breaking and trespassing an abandoned property?

Wes fiddles with his balls – the three Poké ones, of which I presume is the Gerbils, because... according to Wes, this is "where they belong". So... this mean it's about those Gerbils and not any other Gerbil trio of which depending of canon we know there's at least two?

Interesting, I say. Always interesting to see hints and takes on how different authors interpret stuff like the unicity of Legendaries or how in some regions they are given away as events or even wondertraded, etc.

So our little party of terrorist and tagalong walk into the darkness, saved by the cat (or whatever Umbreon is in this setting). Trading the lively greens and browns of the woods of Ecruteak that so grossly mismatch the protagonists' "homely" Orre for... well, darkness, and abandonment. Or... not exactly it: there's something or someone there too it seems, as in any dark place in the Pokémon world you can always count a Zubat I guess... who knows what else.

Don't recall if Zubat filled their proper role as route pests in Orre games as well.

Also it's funny how Wes thinks of himself as the scariest thing around, forwardly ironic considering the three balls.

Despite how much he told himself he was scarier than anything that could be hiding in this darkness,
Wes: “I am Wes. The Wes.”
Umbreon: «You fool, for I am justice. I am the night. I am... Umbreon.»

And then ofc its just a Gastly that shows up for some old-fashioned, honest-to-good fun. Fits the games, is tonally adequate too, and helps paint a nice mental imagery because not only does Wes have to get used to so many Pokémon just being free to roam about, but also to them being... dunno... agreeable? Friendly?

The Pokémon in Orre have to live in the hellhole that is Orre, lest we forget. The Pokémon in Kanjoh, not so much even considering Team Rocket.

He didn't even need to signal for Umbreon to chase it off.
Umbreon: - points to Gastly - «BALL!» ^_^

A floating one but yes. Also Dark > Ghost. :whistle:

Rui: "I'm afraid of breaking my neck when the floor goes out from under me."
Wes: "Umbreon'll keep an eye out for you."
Hhhahahaha omg Wes... Lolnope, Umbreon is happy frolicking elsewhere chasing Gastlies. Bu-bye Rui, was nice to meet you.

About the only way to go was down, putting altogether too much faith in the rickety ladder leaned against the edge of a hole in the floor that gaped into darkness.

Wes: “What are you worrying about? We are Poképrotags, we don't even need the ladder we can just jump in, here lemme show you.”
Wes: — proceeds to kick Rui into the hole. :mewlulz:

All the meanwhile, Umbreon is "taking care". Of his mental health lol.

Finally they get into the underground and reach the place. You know the one. The event script triggers as soon as Wes unlocks the three Poké balls and the three Legendary Gerbils Entei, Raikou and Suicune are released.

In the darkness the three Legendary Pokémon are felt by their presence and the atmospheric effects they trigger, even in such a small space, and they are described as such. We are also told Umbreon is around there and supposedly ready for trouble.

Umbreon: -fidding with a ghastly orb - «Hah! I'm a cat. You can take care of yourself.»
Offscreen Espeon: “Hello? Where's my screentime?”

As his vision returned Wes found the pokémon shaking off disorientation, blinking around at the dark of the basement, shifting on their huge paws. They'd instinctively bunched in a half-circle, but surely they knew this place.
Ah yes we are reenacting the script: their "discovery" and liberation, followed by their escape. The three Pokémon were, presumably then, taken from here for a not very joyful joyride of the hellhole that is Orre, and now they realize they are back. Furthermore, Wes proceeds to release the three from their second chaining, likely much softer and livelier than the first — yet this is about restoring a balance.

"Good luck out there," Rui said.
She's still alive!

Umbreon stood out in front of him, rings glowing on and off.
Offscreen Espeon: «Helloooooooo? I'm company, too!"» :frown:

But yay! Umbreon made some friends!

The three at least are quite non-fleeing which is THE improvement from GSC. They do a bit of sniff sniff (basically "hello, how's your day been?" in animal kindgom language) with Umbreon, who knows what do they talk about in scent language but it seems to be enough that the three Pokémon feel like everyone in the room is friend enough.

Offscreen Espeon: «Mrow? My contract stipulates—»

Anyway, before we get to meet them more, the three Gerbils proceed to flee as it is stipulated in their Johto contract. They get out fast and nimble enough that a seasoned terrorist who blows evil teams for breakfast can do not much more than brace himself.

Then again, Poképrotags are not allowed to skip cutscenes or interact with them, so.

I'm of the mind that there is another deShadowed Legendary that could use a visit to Johto, and it would make more sense to leave for "later", but fair is fair.

[Sad Espeon whines]

But yea I mean, really, where is Espeon? I'm being robbed of half the potential of this story here. Plus, if you wanted a Pokémon to feel comfy in the dark'ness, Espeon as a cat would also be it.

The story has so far made both the Show and the Tell point that yes, this place is not the unique hellhole that Orre is. A Pokémon world outside Orre is nature, greenery, biomes, weather, a culture of sharing, a culture of letting Trainers walk into houses to check for gifts in the pottery.

In short, a Pokémon world outside Orre is like escapism for a decent person. In comparison, Orre feels like escapism for a Trumpist.

Wes had only ever seen a single one before, when the huge bird had circled Realgam Tower, crying triumph across the desert. Another pokémon that belonged here but had ended up in Orre somehow.
So, in this setting there are also not other Ho-Ohs or Lugias then? I presume that then that same Ho-Oh, "the" Ho-Oh, will move to Alola to the Ultra Space Wilds in a few years from now? Sounds like quite a busy schedule.

Or maybe where he belonged was a choice now.
Yeah, it's Just You, Wes. You just happen to exist in Arizona and your mind and worldview are tuned for that (not that Cipher doesn't deserve bombing, mind...). But do come over to the best hemisphere, we still have a distinct spring season around here.

Wes set Umbreon down again and flicked a berry from his pocket up above the pokémon's snout.
Espeon: "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

No, really, you're half killing me here lol.

And in the end, I guess things are like that. Wes' current quest ends and he is free to return to something that has free coffee and cookies and try to live like a normal person, no longer confined to Orre neither by location nor by duty. Aaaand there will be Rui following, I guess.

(btw, in normal fandom circles, a girl chasing after a guy like that is grounds for shipping. If I had to extrapolate from this oneshot that would be Entertaining.)

All in all, a story unlike those I tend to read. This has very little action and very little introspection, it's more like a variant of environmental storytelling and I feel the choice of plot flags for this functions well (since the only way to have improved it would have been with something like the Mirage Birds which it would have meant IIRC the XD ones would have been the same specimens as the Shamoutli Trio and that would have been Bad™ if they went Shadow).

Also taking this oneshot in isolation, I felt like Rui was quite superfluous for this story, but then again I don't know how you tie them together in the macro scope of your setting. Honestly, I would have instead brought Espeon in for his well deserved screentime.

Espeon: «Nintendon't is... evil? Nintendon't is unyielding? Incapable of love? And you? You offscreen Espeon? You deny him sweet screentime? I can no longer thrive in this household. I hear Venia gives Eeveelutions good screentime, I'm packing my things.» :screm:

Umbreon: «Cry me a river.» :quag:

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Oh boy this was a story. Ever since From the Ashes I've been lowkey obsessed with Orre and Johto parallel vibes. I somehow never realized you did the zine either? I'm so glad i got assigned this.

For starters, for such a short piece you really crammed it full of subtext and themes and background and enviromental storytelling. Every word feels like it counts and says something. Yet the story never slows or lingers, but simply glides right along. There's a lovely somber yet hopeful tone to the story, and it feels deceptively simplistic on the surface. In fact, I'll admit when I did my speedread i thought it was nice but it wasn't until round 2 readthrough that I paid proper attention to appreciate what's going on under the surface.

Wes and Rui have finally left Orre and on a promise to the legendary beasts, returned them to their home region to free them. They entered the burned tower, traveled to the basement, and set them loose.

Yet to me there was so much else going on...
I love how telling this line is of their relationship, that she's like his shadow, a constant presence, yet she also doesn't count. Except it feels much more like Wes is saying this in a 'she's not as annoying as other people and thus doesn't count bc im cool with her' way.

Man lines like these really capture and paint a picture of Wes's outlook and past. All the green and good and pokemon put him on edge, but he's so familiar with the disrepair.

his body remembered the old days.
ooof, another great line here, wrapped so neatly into the prose.

Her footsteps sounded behind him. Of course. She was never not going to follow.
It's almost like she'd coded to

its funny to me that this line could almost be a cheeky game reference but also says a lot about their relationship. If nothing else she's stubbornly loyal.

Wes still wasn't sure whether she'd learned to see danger the way he had.
probably not lol

But yet again, this line speaks to me of how baked into Wes it is to be always alert, always expecting danger

that stirred whereve Suicune
lil typo here

but always alert, as prepared for trouble as Wes.
yesss I do so love me details of how pokemon and trainer are alike

Man what a great ending line, just the idea that Wes has learned to trust as a concept, in anything at all.

The heart of Peregrine for me is in its subtle tale of belonging and redemption. Wes made a promise, and came all the way out here to fufill it. Yet as Rui said, he could have simply released them anywhere. But deep down Wes is also looking for that redemption and belonging. He knew he had to bring them back to where they 'belonged'. All the way back. Back to where it started, and where it ended.

The ending, the idea that Wes is free now to choose where he belongs speaks volumes. Just as the beasts got a chance to return, and then choose where to belong, a new fresh start; so can Wes. In a way, by setting the beasts free, he's setting himself free. This is story about burdens, freedom, and what it means to be able to choose something for yourself after years of everything being chosen for you. How fitting that the three beasts, reborn in the flames, are the final step in giving Wes a new life.

Thats the good stuff.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Blitz review, lets gooooo!
I’m glad I thought to look up the meaning of the word Peregrine, as I’d only previously heard it with regards to falcons, because if the themes of the story weren’t already clear enough, it really tied things together.

I like the idea of Wes taking all the pokemon back to where they belong, given that most - if not all were definitely imported from other regions (barring stolen pokemon. Which makes me wonder, did he make any effort to reunite any stolen pokemon with their original trainers? IDK, kinda rambling with that one.) And it makes a lot of sense that many of them would want to leave. He may have earned their trust to purify him, but ultimately they did not join him by choice.

I found the part comparing his an Ho-oh’s parallel journeys compelling in a way that I am struggling to put into words. The way Wes views this journey and the way that it implies he's struggling with what to do now that his quest is over is chef’s kiss. Does he go back home? Is it really home if there's nothing there for him? Does he stay here in Johto where everything feels unfamiliar (and therefore, dangerous). Maybe he should take a secret third option and travel a bunch 8P.

I also love the subtle storytelling with Rui. At the beginning he seems on-edge and almost annoyed by the fact that she’s following him around still. But by the end, he seems more comfortable with it, trusting in it. Given it’s something familiar in such a place that’s still putting him on edge, one familiar thing to cling to now that his work is done, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Overall, I enjoyed reading what was essentially a little epilogue to Wes’s journey. Thanks for the read!

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
I’ve read this fic three times now, and I’ve loved it every time. Different things have stood out to me each time, too! There’s so many lovely details in here.

Wes has never believed in second chances, but perhaps in a place as strange as Johto, anything is possible.
Aaaaa I absolutely love the little introductory blurb at the beginning! There’s so much symbolism here—a second chance for the beasts to return home after what they’ve been through. Their origin story alone is all about a second chance, one granted to them by Ho-oh. Wes, too, has been given a second chance after everything, and this one also came with Ho-oh’s blessing.

Definitely worth checking out--if you haven't already seen it, the art piece HelloYellow17 did for it is stunning!
Jandnskskfkelkwmdm what the heck, that’s so kind of you?! Thank you!!

It was Umbreon, flickering in and out of shadow, who found the easy way in, a low and empty window, the bars across it long since splintered away.
I love the way you describe Umbreon here, his rings glowing on and off just like his Colo model. Also, of course Umbreon is the one who finds them a good way in. Good sneaky little shadow cat.

It’s funny—I feel like a lot of depictions would have this reversed, with Rui being the one to do things symbolically and Wes sticking to a more practical route. But I love that you flipped that here, with Wes being the one to insist on doing this in an almost ceremonial way. He’s the one who knows about second chances and the impact they have, after all. It’s very fitting, and endearing that he’s so straight-faced about it, as if trying to pretend he doesn’t care as much as he actually does.

Aaaaa the parallels CONTINUE. Heck, one could even go so far as to say that both the beasts and Wes got their rebirth from a burning (or exploded) building. Wes isn’t familiar with almost anything in Johto, but he feels a kinship with those that originated from ruins.

He still kept a knife with him, of course, not to mention Umbreon and Espeon and a few of the others who hadn't wanted to leave. Despite how much he told himself he was scarier than anything that could be hiding in this darkness, his body remembered the old days.
Dang that last line hits hard. We don’t need to know every terrible thing he and his vees have been through—his body language, the wariness in which he’s constantly looking out for danger (with Umbreon backing him up), and his familiarity with damaged and abandoned places tells us everything we need to know. It’s very effective storytelling.

Gosh, yeah, that would be such an adjustment. Forget everything else—having Pokémon existing absolutely everywhere would be huge shock when you’ve lived your whole life somewhere so barren and desolate. Makes me wonder if Wes finds this suffocating, to always be surrounded by so many other living things no matter where you go.

the gentle breeze that stirred whereve Suicune passed.
Small typo here!

Love the little gesture between Umbreon and Suicune here, and above all, I love just how animalistic and wild the beasts are. Even after being with Wes for months, they don’t behave like trained Pokemon. Wes himself wonders if this is due to their nature of him being more formal with them, and my bet is that it’s a combination of both, but mostly the former. In this context, it feels fitting that legendaries, especially ones as ancient as this trio, simply aren’t meant to belong to one trainer, to be a regular trained mon. Perhaps Wes sensed this too, which is why he’d always planned to let them go after their rehabilitation.

Gosh I LOVE that line about choices. It’s so powerful! Just like the trio, Wes is finally free of everything that’s been holding him back, too. It’s scary in a way—not knowing what you’ll do next and having no direction—but exciting, also. Perhaps Wes will never be fully free of the scars he carries, as evidenced by the “never stop looking, stop watching” line—but then again, maybe with time, it will get easier to feel at ease and at peace, wherever he decides to go.

Aw this is so sweet. I love that, for all her concerns and sass, Rui follows him without hesitation, and she always will. The ending is ambiguous and open-ended; we don’t know where they’ll go from here, but we do know they’ll stick together, and that means that, whatever comes next, they’ll be okay. 💛

Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
Staff
Partners
  1. dratini
  2. dratini-pen
  3. dratini-pen2
Excuse me, new fic about the Johto beast trio and you didn't @ me?

The Burned Tower is such an appropriate setting to explore themes of second chances, and rebirth. This is a short fic but the central conceit is simple and fits well within the space you give it.

You do an excellent job in the details showing how Wes is both enamored with the new world of Johto and wary of it, all the ways he feels unfit for and uncomfortable with the fresh start it symbolizes.

Wes brings the beast trio back to the place they're from--and they instantly leave it. Rui raises more than once the question of why it matters, and I think the answer becomes the very problem Wes is wrestling with--that you can't forge your new beginning until you accept where you've been.

I like the distance you give the beast trio. Are they normal pokemon? Something more? Are they really a hundred years old? You get the sense that Wes considers it above his pay-grade--whatever they are, the duty he owes them doesn't change, and that conviction on his part says everything about his character.

Rui's in the background in this, in a way that makes you think about how a background is something that is unremarked on but necessary. I feel her patience strongly between the lines--not patience as a form of frustration, but patience as kindness.

Wes ventured further into the room, boots ringing hollow on what he had to admit felt like rickety floorboards.
Small nitpick--floorboards that are both rickety and cause boot steps to "ring" off of them don't quite check out to me.

the gentle breeze that stirred whereve Suicune passed.
typo

Top Bottom