• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon (One-shot) The Meaning of Gifts...

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
That time of the year is coming up again… And I still don’t have anything for Spark or Azur.

The Season of Giving, we called it. Spark and I never did take it too seriously -we never went to the festivals or anything- but we still celebrated it. It was a nice way to end the year, after all. Just her and I sitting together on the Bluff, looking out over the skies. It was peaceful. I enjoyed the nice atmosphere, Spark’s phenomenal cooking, the gifts she’d get me. But I most appreciated her presence.

This year, we’re doing things a little differently. Since Aurora is new to the team, we figured we’d have a more extravagant celebration. More of Spark’s delicious food, a few tricks from Aurora, perhaps some storytelling from me. It was all set to be an amazing night except…

I had yet to find suitable gifts for them, and I knew they had both already found perfect gifts, both for each other and me. Given that our celebration was to be tonight, before the week-long festivities started, I needed to find something, and soon. So here I am wandering Treasure Town, trying to find suitable gifts. Kecleon would probably have some wares, but Spark wouldn’t really be interested in items. Nor would Aurora. I had checked with Croagunk, but no luck. The dude’s still trying to get me to swap my journal for something. Not happening; this is my pride and joy.

Hmm… Yeah, I got no ideas. I’ll just wander the town, clear my mind.

As I made my way through town, heading nowhere in particular, I stopped at Leafeon’s Herbs, Scents, and Brews. Deciding that a cup of tea might help clear my mind, I went inside.

“Afternoon, Lucario. What can I get for ya?”

“The usual, please. Maybe add in two sucrans?”

“Two sucrans, eh? Ya don’t get that ‘less you’re feeling down. What’s got ya today? More adoring fans?”

“No… I’m trying to find gifts for my team. We’re celebrating the season early because the new girl is interested in some of the festivals.”

“Gifts, eh? Yeah, those can be tough,” Leafeon, walking towards me, replied. “So… what did ya have in mind? More cookware?”

“No, I think Spark’s got enough. She certainly hasn’t told me about any new cookware she wants.”

Leafeon sat down next to me, bearing a Chestri Tea with two sucrans. “I see. No easy gift this year, huh?” Passing me the tea, she kept talking. “Ya know, with how often I see the two of ya’s together, I wonder why ya don’t have anything that symbolizes yer relationship with each other. It’s certainly an oddity given your circumstances. I’d have thought ya would have gotten her something a little more special.”

“Really? I’d never thought about it. I just wanted to make her happy.”

Leafeon gazed into my eyes. “Well, Lucario, might ya take my suggestion?”

“What is it?”

“Get her a scarf or a bandana. Something with a little more symbolism might be just what ya need. It won’t be of any particular value to a Pokemon that doesn’t understand its meaning, but it’ll mean the world to Jolteon.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course. If you’re interested, I recommend Banette’s Fabrics. She’ll have something there for ya.”

“Perhaps I will give her a shot. Thanks, Leafeon,” I replied, finishing my Chestri Tea. “How much do I owe you?”

“Today, it’s on the house. Ya can repay me by making yer partner happy, Lucario.”

“Thank you, Leafeon. Truly. You may have saved my day.”

“It’s no trouble, really. It’s just what I do. Enjoy the festivities!”

I left the tea house and started looking for Banette’s place. Treasure Town had really changed in the past seven decades… No more was the nice linear path with all the shops. It had all been industrialized, and even the beach had been renovated. Made it into more of a city than a town really, but I couldn’t complain. Having all the rights to Sharpedo Bluff gave us a nice spot away from the noise. Though… it was getting kind of small with three of us in there.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I arrived in front of Banette’s Fabrics, right next door to the old Duskull Bank, before the poor guy was run out of business. It was certainly not easy to miss; buildings shaped like a Pokemon’s head usually weren’t. I usually didn’t like going into big shops. They’re often crowded and hard to navigate. I had to do it, though, because otherwise, I’d ruin our special evening.

Banette was certainly working hard. She was rushing around, helping Pokemon get things off the highest shelves, pointing them in directions for different articles, cleaning a few messes. I decided to ease her workload a bit by just looking around. I didn’t have anything in particular picked out, after all.

I wandered the store for a few hours, before finally picking out a couple of items. A beautiful red scarf for Spark, and an equally beautiful purple scarf for Azur. I thought both my teammates would look ravishing in them. I always was a sucker for pretty sights. Might be why I was so eager to let Azur join the team right off the bat; she was stunningly pretty already.

As I was paying for my items, I looked in the bookstore across the street. It was empty, though that wasn’t very surprising, given that the festivals started tomorrow. Most smaller shops were closed or empty as Pokemon ran around getting their last-minute gifts. I left Banette’s Fabrics, my gifts in my bag, to return home. Spark and Azur were waiting, after all.

Making my way home was more difficult than I anticipated. Not only was I lost, but I was also fighting the rush of Pokemon heading in the opposite direction, towards the Forest Party before the festival. Eventually, though, I did make it back. Spark had an entire feast waiting, Aurora stretching and enjoying the sun.

“Looks delicious as always, Spark.”

“Of course it does! There’s not a cook in the world that can match me!”

We all shared a laugh. “Right you are, partner. Ever considered writing a cookbook?”

The Jolteon shook her head. “Between caring for you and bonding with Azur, I’ve not had much time, Wind. But let’s just focus on having a good time tonight!”

Aurora looked at us. “So… how do we begin celebrating the Giving Season? Do we enjoy food, or do we share gifts first?”

Spark beat me to the answer again. “We always share gifts first! It helps set the mood for the rest of the evening!”

I nodded sheepishly. “Why don’t you start, Spark? Give her a good example of how it works?”

She nodded excitedly. “Alright then! Close your eyes, Wind! I got something truly special for you this year, and I want to surprise you with it!”

I obliged. I could feel her climbing over me, wrapping something around me. I smiled as her fur brushed past my muzzle, tickling it. After a few minutes, she jumped off, landing with a surprising thud.

“Alright Wind, you can look now! I hope you like it!”

I opened my eyes. Aurora was holding a clear ice sheet in front of me, as a mirror of sorts. And… there was my reflection. A yellow Lucario, bearing a gorgeous green scarf, wrapped around his neck and draped over his right shoulder. I smiled, probably larger than I ever had before.

“I love it, Spark. You truly outdid yourself this year.” Spark blushed as I complimented her gift. I was truly sincere… I loved it. Not just because it’s beautiful, but also because it was from her. “Spark… no. Spira… I love you. I always have… Always will.”

She blushed harder. “Wind, you didn’t have to say that!”

I laughed. “Yes, I did.”

Spark merely ran and hid behind Aurora, embarrassed. “W-why doesn’t Azur give you her gift, next?”

“I believe green fits you, Wind. It helps your eyes pop out. You look so handsome with it,” Aurora commented before handing me a box. “I fear my gift may be insignificant compared to hers…”

“Nonsense, Azur. It will not be insignificant. I care about you, too. Now, let’s see what you got me, hmm?”

“It… is not much, I know. But I thought… you might like to learn more about the Magics that interest you so?”

I opened the box to see a copy of A Most Magical Guide, written by the same Astrali that wrote The Temporal Crisis.

“Do you like it, Wind? Given your interest in magic, I thought this might be-”

I cut her off. “It’s perfect, Azur. You don’t need to explain it.” I took the Ninetales in a hug. “I love you too, Azur. Even though we’ve only known each other for a short time.”

She blushed, too. “Y-you are… too kind, Windrunner.” I could hear Spark giggling as we hugged. “May I give Spark her gift, please?”

“Of course, Azur.” I let her go. “Sorry if I got a little carried away.”

“Do not apologize, Wind.” She turned to Spark. “And for you… I believe I have a gift most befitting a Jolteon.”

“Oh? I can’t wait, Azur!”

Aurora pulled out a smaller box, and handed it to Spark. “It was… difficult to make. I fear my craftsmanship is not as refined as I would like.”

The Jolteon didn’t care, instead dragging Aurora into a hug -well, hug is the wrong word, really. It was more of an awkward nuzzling- before accepting it. “Anything from you is perfect enough, Azur.”

Spark opened the box without much hesitation. She struggled to get in for a moment -her paws were bigger than Aurora’s- but did manage to pull out a pendant. Said pendant was stunning. Every edge carefully crafted… every colour blending perfectly with each other to create a jade green which reflected the beauty of the wearer. Inserted in the center was a Thunderstone, carved to resemble a jagged bolt. Spark put it on almost instantly.

“It’s perfect, Azur. Your style is beautiful.” Spark nuzzled the Ninetales again. “You don’t need to criticise yourself so often. Pokemon are allowed to be flawed. It’s part of what makes us unique!”

“I… suppose. I… do not believe it will be easy, Spark.”

The Jolteon laughed. “Fortunately for you, Azur, we’re here to help you! That’s what teams are for, right, Wind?”

I nodded. “We’re here for each other, and we’re here for you. No Pokemon left behind.”

The Ninetales smiled. “Thank you.”

I cleared my throat. “Well, I’ve still got two gifts to hand both of you, right? May I?”

“Of course! You always know what makes me happy, Wind, so let’s have it!”

I grinned. “No peeking, Spira! I got something truly special for you as well.”

She grumbled, but obliged. I pulled out the red scarf I got for her, and tied it nice and firmly around the base of her right ear. As I suspected, it looked gorgeous on her. I nodded to Aurora, who once again made a clear sheet of ice to use as a mirror. A small purr rumbled in my throat as I told her to look.

“Oh my… Wind… It’s… I’m… I’m speechless. I never thought you’d actually…”

I looked at her, confused. “Never thought I’d what, Spira?”

“I never thought you’d actually figure out what I really wanted from you all these years, Wind! I just wanted you to get me something that showed you truly cared…” She teared up, before falling into my arms. “I… I love it, Wind! And I love you!”

It was my turn to blush. “Y-you could have said something sooner, Spira.”

“Aww… But how was I to know you’d react this way, Wind? You look so cute when you’re flustered!”

I turned redder. Aurora started laughing, too. “I… uh… Spira… would you…?”

The Jolteon giggled. “Sure! But we’re gonna enjoy the rest of the night now!” She picked herself up and stood off to the side. “I’m interested to see what you got Azur!”

I gathered my bearings. I silently thanked Leafeon for her suggestion, then turned to Aurora. “As for you, Azur… again, no peeking!”

She grinned. “I thought you might say that.” Aurora shut her eyes. “Whenever you are ready, Wind.”

I turned to Spark. “Spira… You want to help me find a good place?” I said, pulling out the purple scarf.

She looked at me. “I have a gift of my own for her, Wind. Why don’t we do it together?” She rummaged around her bag, before pulling out a purple cloak. Seeing my confused look, the Jolteon explained it. “She seemed uncomfortable with all the attention the townsfolk were giving her. I thought maybe if she had a cloak to help hide her natural beauty, she might be more comfortable going out alone. It’ll definitely help if we ever decide to have a day or three to ourselves, Wind.” She winked.

I laughed. “I suppose we will be having a few nights away, huh? Alright, together, then.”

Thanks to Spark's guidance, I put the scarf around Aurora’s neck, letting it hang in all its splendor. Not that she wasn’t beautiful to start, but she looked even prettier with it. Spark quickly readied her cloak.

“May I look now?”

“Just a little longer, Azur! We’re finishing up now!” I said, helping Spark to fit the cloak around the Ninetales. It was difficult -it wasn’t designed for a Ninetales- but we managed. I picked up the ice mirror and held it in front of her.

“We’re done Azur! You wanna see what we got for you?”

She opened her eyes. She looked first at her scarf, then at the cloak. “I do not understand the reason for the cloak… but I like how it looks. I cannot thank you two enough.”

I smiled. “Well, that’s it for the gifts. Shall we enjoy the feast?”

The gals nodded. “I have worked up quite an appetite today…”

“Let’s eat!”

We dug in, each preferring a different palate. I strayed away from the spicy foods, more due to being unable to handle them than a distaste. And on such a beautiful night, the sweeter foods, like Spark’s famous Willowshine Squares, would be perfect for sharing. I also loved the Appleberry Pie, and of course… you can’t go wrong with Spark’s signature dish… the Sweet N Shocker!

I took a hefty helping of that, as it was easily my favourite dish of all the ones present. I supplemented it with a few Willowshine Squares and a slice of pie. Feeling satisfied with my choices, I retreated to the edge of the Bluff. My companions joined me a few minutes later.

“Beautiful sight as always, eh Wind?”

“It is.” I looked at my companions. “And tonight… it’s more beautiful than it’s ever been before.”

Aurora chuckled. “You seem to be flirting with us quite a bit, Wind.”

“What can I say? You’re both beautiful, Aurora… If I can call you that.”

Spark giggled. “Using both of our true names… not much you want to hide, is there?”

“As a team, I think we should be comfortable with using true names, Spira.”

The girls shared a laugh. “I suppose you have a point, Lex. We should feel closer to each other this way.”

I sighed. Been a long time since I was called Lex. Brought back a few repressed memories. Dropped the name because it held me back… reminded me of things I didn’t want to remember.

Spark must’ve noticed my melancholic mood. “Oh, right. You don’t like that name. Well, there’s no saying you need to keep it, Wind. Why not pick a new true name?”

I looked at her. “No. It’s time we started dealing with my demons.”

There was silence for a while afterwards. We all watched the sunset, my heart at peace. I spoke true; my demons needed to be beaten back. And I knew just how to start.

“Well… Spira, Lex, I am exhausted. With the festival beginning tomorrow, I shall get some rest. Do not stay up too long.”

“We won’t, Aurora. Sleep well, alright?”

“Yeah! See you tomorrow, Aurora!”

The Ninetales retreated to the inside of the Bluff. I looked out over the ocean, admiring the twinkling stars and the light of the moon. I looked at my partner. As she sat under the moon, the light shining off her fur, I couldn’t help but notice… She was truly divine.

“Spira… have I ever told you how beautiful you look?”

She giggled. “I don’t think you ever have, Lex.”

“Well, you’re beautiful, Spira.”

“Heeheehee… I know. And you’ve known for a long time how I feel about you; you are a Lucario, after all.”

I blushed. “Y-yes, I have. But this is the first you’re hearing that from me.”

She nuzzled up to me and looked out over the stars. “Nah, I’ve known for a while. It was really quite obvious, Lex, even if you didn’t want to admit your own feelings to yourself. The way you cling so desperately to my side… I just didn’t want anyone to steal you out from under me before you realized our shared destiny.”

"And that’s why you were initially against Aurora.”

“Yep! I was scared I’d lose you. And then she tried to stop your rampage, and decided to help you deal with your past! How could I ever be against her when all she’s done is help you!”

We shared a laugh. Aurora had certainly helped us both deal with some of our issues, more than either of us ever could’ve imagined. Once again, thoughts of a future with Spira went through my head. There was no doubt anymore, we were destined to be together.

“So… Lex.” Spark nuzzled me again. “I think there’s one thing we need to do before we call it a night.

I looked at her, smiling. “I know.”

“So… what are you waiting for, Lex?”

“You, Spira.”

She giggled. “Very well then. Lex… I… I would be honoured to be your partner.”

“And I, Spira, would be honoured to have you as mine.”

Taking her paw in mine, we spent the night outside. As we curled up to sleep, I smiled.

“I love you, Spira. Don’t ever leave me…”

She murmured back something similar, and we drifted off into sleep.

Last edited:

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Hey, what's up? Nice to see you posting something here. What a cute little holiday fic! I always enjoy reading short stories like these... It's fun seeing characters let their hair down a bit, and there can be some real interesting worldbuilding in seeing how the holidays are portrayed in different fics.

This is a cute little story about a character appreciating the other people in their life--or learning how to show that appreciation, at least! My impression is that Wind's had a difficult time of it, and he seems pretty out of touch as far as relating to other people goes. Makes me wonder about his background, and also how he fared on his world-saving adventures... I'm assuming he had world-saving adventures, anyhow! This feels like a post-canon sort of story, the player and their team settled in at Sharpedo Bluff for the long haul.

I really wish we'd gotten a clearer picture of why Wind ended up picking the items that he did! Why does a red scarf signify his relationship to Spira? What made him pick that, out of all the items in the store? What does it mean to him, and what is he hoping it'll mean to Spira? It's possible there's some context I'm missing here that would make this obvious--I definitely get the sense that these are characters from a larger story, and if I'd read that, maybe I'd get what was going on here. Without prior knowledge of them, though, I had a hard time following why a scarf would be such a big deal here. Considering that it wasn't even Wind's idea to get a meaningful gift in the first place, it's a little hard for me to connect with the emotion here.

Looks like we have some different names for the berries around here--chestri, sucran, etc. Is this supposed to indicate we aren't in the normal PMD-verse? Little tidbits like this and the bit about true names always intrigue me; it's fun to see the kinds of spins people put on their settings. There's a lot that I think I don't think that I picked up on here, again because this appears to be part of a larger work or world I'm unfamiliar with, but since the true names bit was given a quick explanation here, I at least didn't feel lost about that. The hints of a transformed Treasure Town were interesting, too... Environments in the PMD games are so rustic, it's interesting to think of how they might develop into larger settlements. It strikes me as an interesting place to explore further, if you were so inclined.

Some things that jumped out at me as I read:

Spark and I never did take it too seriously -we never went to the festivals or anything- but we still celebrated it.
You want em dashes here rather than the hyphens you're using, like so:

Spark and I never did take it too seriouslywe never went to the festivals or anythingbut we still celebrated it.
You can also use two hyphens to approximate an em dash (--), but not just one. Same deal in a couple other places in this story:

The Jolteon didn’t care, instead dragging Aurora into a hugwell, hug is the wrong word, really. It was more of an awkward nuzzlingbefore accepting it.

It was difficultit wasn’t designed for a Ninetalesbut we managed.

And so on.

As I made my way through town, heading nowhere in particular, I stopped at Leafeon’s Herbs, Scents, and Brews. Deciding that a cup of tea might help clear my mind, I went inside.
This story began in present tense ("That time of year is coming up again..."), but around here it slides into past tense and stays that way for the remainder. Might be worth tidying up the opening paragraphs for consistency.

Maybe add in 2 sucrans?
Numerals look odd in normal text, especially if they're used to start off a sentence! Usually for small numbers, especially those less than ten, you want to write them out rather than using the number itself. So here and throughout this story, you want "two" instead of "2."

“Gifts, eh? Yeah, those can be tough.” Leafeon, walking towards me, replied.
Should be a comma after "tough" rather than a period.

Treasure Town had really changed in the past 7 decades…
This surprised me a bit! Is Wind 70+ years old, then? How old is that for a lucario? Should I be picturing an old man, here? And does this mean that his partner has been waiting literally decades for him to find a thoughtful gift, or have they known each other for only a fairly small fraction of that time? (Or is this just a typo for "seven years," heh.) (Also you want to write out 7 as "seven.")

I wandered the store for a few hours, before finally picking out a couple of items.
This seems like quite a long time! Going from shop to shop up and down the street, I could certainly see that taking hours. For one store, though, even if it were a large department store, I think you'd be able to more than cover the entire place in that amount of time.

She looked first at her scarf, then at the cloak. “I do not understand the reason for the cloak… but I like how it looks. I cannot thank you two enough.”
Haha, I don't know whether this is intended to read as her snubbing the scarf, but that's how it comes across to me.

“Beautiful sight as always, eh Wind?”

She giggled. “I don’t think you ever have, Lex.”
You want a comma before Wind's name here.

“Spira… have I ever told you how beautiful you look?”
This is an example of where that "seven decades" from earlier trips me up. Has he really never told her she's beautiful after tens of years?

And that’s why you were initially against Aurora.”
Missing an opening quote here.

Taking her paw in mine, we spent the night outside.
Because of the way this sentence is arranged, "we" are "taking her paw in mine," which doesn't make a lot of sense. Something like "I took her paw in mine, and we spent the night outside." would read correctly.

This is a fun holiday story, and it definitely has me interested in these characters and how they got to this point. Whether or not you've written down more of their adventures, it looks like you have a clear idea of them in your head, and it would be fun to see them. Hope you enjoyed writing this, and that you've had a good holiday, too! Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Navar

Professional Mudkip Lover
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. swampert
  2. chesnaught-apron
  3. lucario-mega
Hi Spark, since the blitz is happening I decided to read your oneshot here, and review it. Now I always say this to whoever is getting my reviews, but please don't expect anything critical. I am a terrible critic, so this is just me going all "This is cool!" at the fun stuff the fic, or oneshot, has. So without further ado, here I go!

This christmas season was packed with emotions for me, so reading this entire thing by myself really helped lift my mood. Wind, Spark and Aurora play off each other very well. They truly feel like a team, and in the case of Wind/Spark, a couple. So I found that to be very cute and emotional, a nice, beautiful work of art from start to finish.

Expanding on that, I do think the descriptions are neatly done, especially during the moment where Spark opens the gift Aurora gave her. The way you described the pendant was marvelous, it was beautiful and it only shows how talented you are at worldbuilding. I think you did a pretty good job with that.

Now, for the characters. I think it should probably be best if you like, published this after you posted RD so a random reader could know who these people are, but in all fairness, they're in character here. Wind is that lovable loner who loves his team, Spark is that hot-headed Jolteon we all know and love, and Aurora is the new girl. They all feel like a family of sorts, and that's just very sweet.

Well, this was it Spark, it was... Pretty short, but it's almost midnight and I'm tired. I do hope you liked this review, though. Keep up the good work!

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
This story began in present tense ("That time of year is coming up again..."), but around here it slides into past tense and stays that way for the remainder. Might be worth tidying up the opening paragraphs for consistency.

Oops... that was supposed to be the character's thoughts at that point in time. Guess I forgot to italicize them... eheheh...

Top Bottom