• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Making It Big

Title Page
  • Pen

the cat is mightier than the pen
    Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2

Because if a rattata can do it, so can I.

So can anyone

A story about a girl, a rattata, and some people they meet along the way, in a world that isn't as just or as fair as it should be.

Lena OSJ.jpg
    {Art by the amazing @WildBoots}

This story has been with me since 2014, and since then I've worked on it slowly and sporadically. For the most up-to-date version, see https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9989826/1/Making-It-Big. It's a small story, but I like to think it's an important one. All feedback is welcome, but please note that the prose is intentionally simplistic at the start and grows as the protagonist grows. If you are familiar with the ffn version, some chapters in Part I have been combined due to their short length.

Last edited:
    Chapter One
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Pokemon trainers are the lucky ones.

I asked Mom why I couldn't be a pokemon trainer and she explained it to me. To get a "starter," like you see on those big TVs, you need to already have enough money to buy "basic training supplies" so you can take care of the pokemon you get. Well, my dad does whatever work he can find on the docks and my mom spends every hour of the day she's allowed as a waitress at Cafe Sonata. We don't have that kind of money to spare.

I do my best to help out, but I'm not strong enough or old enough to be worth hiring yet, so I mostly hang around in the sewers. Sometimes I can find dropped coins or items there. My biggest find was an ultra ball some really stupid trainer left behind. When I first spotted it I thought I was dreaming, but I touched it and it was real. Then I thought for sure one of the trainers hanging around would spot it and claim it from me. If they did, how could I stop them?

I stuck the ball in my pocket, but it bulged horribly. So then I took my jacket off and tied it around my waist, the ball still hidden away in my pocket. I tried to walk real casual. When I was finally up on the open streets I nearly laughed with relief. I didn't, though. If people start looking at you funny, nothing good comes of it. They don't want scum on the streets.

I think the clerk at the pokemon mart cheated us when we sold it. Probably took one look at our clothes and decided he could get away with it. Mom says resale value is always lower, or something like that, but he only gave us 300 poke for it. I figure half of 1200 would be 600, and half again is 300. That's just a quarter of what it's worth, right?

That's not fair.

My best friend, Sammy, says I'm a whiner. She's right. I'm luckier than most of us: my parents have a house to rent that has heating in fall and winter, and I have a jacket. I love my jacket more than almost anything else ever. Well, I love Mommy and Daddy of course. I love, love, love Castelia cones even though I've only tasted them once, when the lady had some left over on a cold day when nobody was buying. But my jacket is the most pretty light blue, the color the sky's supposed to be like. The sky here always looks gray. Mom says it's the pollution.

There's only one thing softer than my jacket, and that's Champ's fur. Champ's my best friend who's not a human. I call him Champ⁠—Sammy says it's a lame nickname, but Champ tried to tell me his real pokemon name before and it just sounded like Rat-tat-tat-tata to me. He can't say my human name right either, so he calls me Rat-ratta-tat.

Everyone says rattata are pests, but they call me a pest too. I think Champ's amazing. His teeth can break through anything and he never gets lost when it's dark. I've gotten better at seeing in the dark, but I'll never be as good as Champ.

Champ and I have a plan. I'm worried it's a stupid plan, though. That's why I haven't told Mom or Sammy or Dad. That day when Mom explained about pokemon trainers to me, she said you don't need an "official" starter. You just need a strong pokemon⁠—well, a pokemon strong enough to fight all the wild pokemon and trainers out there. But to catch a strong pokemon without another pokemon first you need to buy lots and lots of expensive pokeballs. Or you need to pay for someone else to capture it for you or for someone else to raise it up for you.

So you need money.

Here's the thing, though. I don't need a pokeball for Champ to come with me. I've told him all about trainers⁠—the free food, free healing, the quick money. Also, unlike battles down in the sewer, trainer battles end when the pokemon are uncon-unconscious! He got all excited when I told him, chittered a whole lot, and gave me his biggest grin. Well, not exactly a grin, but he does this thing with his whiskers and ears that's basically the same.

It's late now, nearly time for me to run home so Mom and Dad don't worry. I'm sitting with Champ, and we're both thinking over our plan.

"If we want to do this," I tell him slowly, "we have to train so that you're stronger than all the other rattata. I know that sounds tough, but I'll help you! I can give you some of my food every day, so that you don't have to spend the day looking for some, and instead we can practice your moves. We'll be a team, right? That's something none of the other rattata have got."

"Tatta!" In response, Champ lifts his front paws up and down really quickly, like he always does when he's excited.

And you know what? I think we can do this.

I do.

Because even if no one else does, I believe in Champ.

Chapter Two
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    We've been training for forever now!

Well, okay, maybe just a few months. But Champ has grown so much stronger! He learned this crazy new move where his teeth light up and then he just destroys everything! Only the stronger rattata who also know the glowy-teeth move want to challenge him now. It's actually kind of a problem, because battles with the strong rattata are really close and tire Champ out for the rest of the day. It would be easier if he could keep fighting the less tough rattata, but it wouldn't be right for him to beat them up even if he stopped when they fainted because then they would be too tired to find food that day and then some other pokemon would beat them up too and then they'd starve.

Recently I got an idea, though. After Champ beats a weak rattata, I give it enough food to get its strength back. I'm really glad Mom's friends with one of the chefs, because otherwise we wouldn't be able to get all these leftovers. I can't take too many though, or Mom might get suspicious. I don't want her to know what Champ and I are doing in case we fail. She's noticed me taking more food, but so far she just thinks I have a growth spurt.

Winter is almost over, and I've been thinking it would be best to leave in the spring. That way it wouldn't be cold, but it wouldn't be that hot either. I'm trying to figure out a way to tell Mom and Dad. I want to prove to them we're strong enough, so today Champ and I are gonna test ourselves outside the city.

The gate guard gives us a suspicious look as we leave the city, but we ignore him. Route 4 is a sandy mess. My hair starts flying all over and Champ lets out an irritated chitter.

"Let's get this over with," I mumble, and Champ agrees. He runs right off the road into a patch of brush. "Wait up!"

I hurry after him.

By the time I'm there Champ's already found someone to fight. It's a sandile. Sammy's told me all sorts of things about sandiles and I know she was probably lying so I shouldn't be worried, but now the sandile is staring at us with its eyes gleaming and I'm a bit nervous. Just a bit. Sandile opens its mouth in a lazy yawn and I see its teeth. They're really sharp, but not as strong as Champ's teeth, I bet. That makes me feel better.

"Go, Champ!" I say. Champ comes forward and twitches his whiskers threateningly at the sandile, who closes its mouth. Sandile starts to flick up sand at us, like there's not enough sand in the air already! "Champ, tackle it fast!"

Champ moves quickly, knocking that sandile right on its back. "Bite it hard," I tell him. Champ's teeth light up and he gets the sandile good, right on the stomach. The sandile twitches and the next second all this sand starts coming up from the ground, surrounding rattata like a whirlpool! I've never seen a pokemon do anything like that and I don't know how to help. Just as I'm standing there like an idiot, the sand settles back down and I can see Champ, looking tired. He's got sand all in his fur. He'd probably look funny if I weren't so worried.

"Come on Champ!" I say, trying not to sound nervous. "Fast tackle again!" Champ gets up and starts to run towards sandile, but as he's getting close, the sand covers him again. This time I run forward too, thinking that maybe I should dig him out and we should run, but the sand goes away quicker this time and Champ doesn't look much worse off. "Can you get it?" I ask.

"Tatta," Champ says loudly. He's close, and this time the sand doesn't stop his tackle. The sandile goes flying back a few feet and he doesn't get up. We wait for a moment, expecting him to move, but when he doesn’t I realize we've beaten the sandile!

"Champ," I say, "you're the best!"

In response, his ears and whispers perk up, so I know he's happy.

"Hey, are you okay, though? Did the sand get in your throat?"

Champ shakes his head. Well, that's good. But I still plan on giving him a long brushing when we get back.

The sandile stirs a bit, and I realize I haven't given it any food like I usually do after we win. I almost don't want to, because it gave me such a scare with the sand. But then I think I'm being stupid. If I spent more time here, I'd probably know all about the sand. So I stick some food close to sandile, but not too close. Even though sandile looks beat, I'm still a bit nervous about the sand.

"Guess we should head back home?" I say to Champ.

"Tatta," he agrees. "Rat-ratta-tat, rat-tat-tatta!"

I pick him up and spin around a bit. He glares at me, but he doesn't bite, so I know he's just pretending to be mad.

"We did it," I say.

But I know this is only the first step.

"You're crazy," Sammy says.

I stick my tongue out at her. Then I realize I'm acting like a kid, not a trainer, so I try to look stern or something. It doesn't really work, cause Sammy starts to giggle a bit.

"I'm not joking," I tell her. "Don't laugh."

She stops giggling and looks at me close. "You're not joking? But, Lena, I'm not joking either. That's crazy."

"You don't think we can do it?'" I ask her, but really I'm not asking. I'm kinda mad.

"You don't know too much about trainers, kay?" Sammy says. "I do. You see stuff working at a pokecenter. You thought about what happens if you lose? You're stuck out in the wild with no pokemon to protect you. And whoever you lose to can take your money, all of it! I mean, they wouldn't if you've got whatsit⁠—identification, right, but if you just look like a street rat with a pokemon, then I don't see what would stop them. It's not safe."

"Sure it's safe," I say. "If it wasn't safe, why would so many kids go for it? They don't need money or anything ‘cause they have nice clothes. They do it for fun. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't safe."

"It's safe for them," Sammy says patiently, like she always does when she knows better. "They look like trainers. No one bothers real trainers."

That's true enough. Trainers walk around like they're some sort of royalty, like we’re still back when Unova had a king and queen.

"Once I've won a few battles, then I can buy trainer stuff."

"Once you've won a few battles," Sammy repeats. "Do you really think you can win one?"

"Yeah," I say. "Me and Champ have trained hard⁠—"

"So have the other trainers. And they have pokemon raised for pokemon battles. They have rare, strong, special pokemon."

"Champ may not be rare or special," I say, "But he's strong. And Sammy? None of those other trainers⁠—what I mean is, they're doing this because it's fun. Champ and I are doing this because we need to."

Sammy's quiet for a moment. Maybe she's thinking about how she'll get a job waitressing one day if she's lucky. Then she smiles, but smiles sort of sad and sort of angry. "Bust them all up for me, will you?"

"I will," I tell her. Then I look down at Champ and correct myself. "We will."

My parents take it quietly.

"Lena," Dad starts, looking confused. "Do you really think⁠—?"

"Champ's strong," I tell him. "We're even beating pokemon outside the city."

Well, one sandile and a small scraggy we fought the next day, but same thing.

"Don't you have to register somewhere . . .?" Dad asks, trailing off.

"No." It's Mom. She sounds thoughtful, which is good. If Mom told me I couldn't go, or that I couldn't do it, then I wouldn't, because I trust Mom when she tells me no. "The laws have changed since we were young. And battle chivalry does ensure a kind of fair play."

I'm not exactly sure what "chivalry" means, but I don't want to say. I'm pretty sure Mom's agreeing.

"So I can go?"

Mom and Dad exchange a Look.

"Why don't you wash the dishes while we talk?"

I make a face. "You just want to talk about it when I'm not here."

"That's right," Dad says, smiling at me. "Off you go, then."

I start to leave with loud stomping sounds, then remember I'm supposed to be acting like a trainer, not a kid. I lift my head up and stand very straight. "Come along, Champ," I say. "We are going to do the dishes."

"Ratta-tatta," Champ says.

Most of the time I can hear everything that goes on in the house, since there's only really the kitchen, the bathroom, and the big room where we sleep, but with the water running I can't hear anything. Parents are sort of sneaky, I guess.

By the time Mom and Dad call me back, I've finished the dishes and I'm playing with Champ. Mom comes in first. I can't tell anything from her face. She and Dad sit on the ground next to me.

"By league standards you're old enough," Mom says. She means that I'm ten and eight months. You can leave on your journey as early as ten.

"Reshiram knows, you've seen more bad weather than most of the brats out there," Dad adds.

"I'm not going to lie," Mom says. "If you can pull this off, it would mean a lot to us." For a moment she frowns and I can see that she's getting older. Soon they won't want her as a waitress at the cafe. Experience is one thing, Mom told me once, but a pretty face is another. And Dad's been having problems with his back lately. That's probably ‘cause he spends so much time moving lumber at the docks, but if he can't bend well then he can't work.

Castelia's the greatest city in the world, but it's not cheap staying here.

"I know, Mom," I say, reaching out a hand to pet Champ. Champ's fur always makes me feel better.

"But Lena," Mom continues. "It's clear to me you love Champ. You may love being a trainer. And if you find something you love, nothing will make us happier."

"We're proud of you now," Dad says. "We'll always stay proud of you, no matter how this works out."

I don't know how to look at them, so I just keep petting Champ. He snuggles closer. "Thanks guys," I manage to say. "But I am gonna do good. And then you guys won't have to worry so much."

Then Mom's hugging really tight. "You shouldn't be worrying about us," she tells me. "Worrying is our job. Your job is to be a great trainer. Now come on, tell me how you met Champ here. Tell me how you've been training."

I wipe away some wet I hadn't even realized was on my face and take a deep breath. "Okay. It's a long story?"

"We've got all night," Dad says. He makes a show of crossing his legs and leaning forward.

"Well, it started in the sewers," I begin, sitting up and letting Champ hop to my side to help me act our first meeting out.

Champ and I go on speaking, and sometime in the middle of me talking I notice that I'm smiling and that my face is all dry. We’re huddled close, Mom and Dad and Champ and me, and I sort of feel like things might be okay.

Leaving almost feels too easy.

I mean, Mom hugs me and Dad hugs me and Sammy gives me a flying tackle which I think was a hug, but hugs aren’t new. I get hugs all the time.

Mom and Dad and Sammy aren't the only ones I say bye to. There's the other sewer kids, those funny dancers I used to tease, that crazy guy who hangs out in our alley who I think sells drugs, but he always liked Champ so I liked him⁠—but they aren't people who'll miss me if I'm gone. It's sort of a lonely thought. So many people live in this city, but only three will really miss me.

Mom had packed me up lunch and some food that should keep long enough for me to get to the next pokemon center. The idea of a pokemon center meal keeps getting me really excited. They have a buffet, that's what Sammy said. You get a tray and go up, and take whatever you want. And you can come back for more, all free! I told Sammy she was totally lying but she swore that she wasn't.

Mom and Dad had something else to give me, once I'd packed my clothes and my jacket. Dad carefully took a box out from his pocket. He offered it to me.

"A gift?" I said. "Really? Can I?" I don't really get gifts often. Mom and Dad try on the holidays, but I told Mom back when I was seven and starting to know things that I'd like it better if she saved and got me a real blue jacket like in the stores. Well, she did, and I love my jacket almost the best of all, so I think that was smart of me.

I took the lid off and then I didn't say anything because it's beautiful. Champ nibbled at my leg a bit because he wanted to see. Slowly, I bent down until I'm on my knees. I lay it out on the ground, respectful-like. Then it struck me that maybe the ground was too dirty. I put it back on top of the box fast.

"Lookit, Champ," I said.

"Rat-tat-rat!" he said.

"I know the C-Gear is popular nowadays," Mom said, sounding sorry. "But this'll have to do. It's been passed down in your dad's family. Stopped working, of course, but we found a friend who got it started."

It was a watch, an old-fashioned one, with an hour, minutes, and second hand, with a bright metal lid that I could click open and shut. There were little pictures scratched out on the lid of two great dragons, their heads held high.

"It's beautiful," I told Mom and Dad. "It's so nice. Like⁠—" I tried to explain, "like it's a thing someone important would have."

"Rat-rat!" Champ said loudly. He pushed his face into my side so that I fell over onto the floor.

"Okay, I'm being silly," I told him. "Hey, stop!" Champ was brushing his whiskers against my face and I'm sort of ticklish so I started laughing so hard, I was just flailing on the floor. At some point Dad moved the watch somewhere safe so I don't crush it. "Thank you." I remembered to say between my laughter.

"You're welcome," Mom said. She brushed a hair out of my face and blinked very fast for a moment. "We'll miss you, sweetling."

"Yeah," I said, sitting up and pushing Champ away. "I'll miss you guys too."

I swallow as Champ and I leave the city again. Route 4 is the same sandy mess, but this time I'm just looking up and up the road. I don't have a map, but the way seems clear enough that only an idiot would get lost, and somewhere up there is Nimbasa City.

I take a deep breath and stop slouching. I raise my head and with a gesture Champ comes to my side. I'm thinking that I'm not just Lena anymore.

Now I'm Lena, pokemon trainer.

Chapter Three
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    I knew this would happen eventually. You're not a trainer till you've fought another trainer. That's what it's about. I didn't think I'd be so fraidy about it.

Right now I'm standing behind a boulder, in a way that just happens to keep my out of sight from the other trainers. It's not that I'm hiding. I'm just being cautious.

These two stupid looking guys with huge backpacks catch each other's eyes. I'm busy wondering what they could be keeping in such big backpacks. I don't think all the stuff I've owned ever would fit in a backpack that big. How do they even lift it? Don't they get really tired?

"I'm Waylon," says the first guy.

"Jerome," says the other. "Shall we?"

"By all means," Waylon says. Then he pauses. "Er, mind if I—" He jerks a finger towards his backpack.

The other guy lets out a sigh. "Not at all."

They both dump their back packs onto the sand and pull out their pokeballs. My head begins to poke out above the rock. So does Champ's.

It's a short fight, between a scrawny pidove and a striped thing that uses electricity. Still, the pidove gets in a few good hits before the—he called it blitzle?—gets its act together. Jerome lets out a sigh, but he doesn't seem too put out.

"Type matchups," he says, shaking his head. "Every time."

He pulls some poke out from his backpack and hands it to the other guy. I wonder how much he gave. Then Jerome's walking away and I'm walking out from behind the rock towards Waylon, who's still enjoying the break from his backpack. He looks up and our eyes meet.

"Great Zekrom in the sky! You a trainer?"

I nod. Then I'm not sure if that's enough so I say, "Yeah."

"Pokemon at your side, eh? Very Johto. You from Johto?"

The question weirds me out. I don't even have black hair. Even I know people from Johto have black hair.

"No!" I say. I almost blurt that I'm from Castelia, but it's not his business and I don't want him to know anyway. "Can we battle now?" I say.

"Eager, aren't you? Bet you just started out."

That's not a question, so I don't have to answer. I'm busy looking at his shirt. It's stylish, I think.

"Silent type, eh? Alright then, Blitzle, come on out!"

The blitzle looks tired. Champ, on the other hand, is totally pumped. Our battle goes even quicker than the first. Only a few fast hits and blitzle's lying still. It's not much different than fighting the not-trainer pokemon, really.

Waylon recalls his blitzle and gives another sigh. "Lost again. Pokemon training's really just a hobby," he tells me, though I'm not sure why. "Backpacking's my true passion. Still, battling can be fun on the side."

I don't get that. He's just fine with failing? Why does he even do it? I wonder if he's talking so much to avoid giving me money. If he tries to run away, Champ'll bite him first.

"Here's your cash, kid," Waylon says, handing me a fistful of poke. I take hold of it carefully, making sure to grip tight. There's a wind, and it would be too horrible if the poke scattered.

Waylon says more stupid stuff and then I think he leaves. I'm not listening because I'm counting the money.

"$120," I tell Champ. That's more than I've ever earned in one day, no matter what I found.

"Rat-tat?" Champ asks.

"It's good, Champ. It's really good."

"Tat," Champ says, looking proud.

Then I realize I've been an idiot. I bend down quick and scritch Champ by his ears just where he likes it. "You were so good, Champ! Against a trained pokemon and everything!"

"Rattata," Champ says, tilting his head under my head.

"It's just that I've had an idea, Champ. You beat that blitzle so easy because it was already weakened, right? And that was because it had already fought. And, well, these routes have lots of trainers. So I bet trainers are always fighting trainers. So what if we waited till one trainer fought another and left them weak, and then we would fight then, and then we'd win every time!"

"Tat-tat-tat!" Like Champ's sharing my excitement, his ears perk up and his whiskers twitch.

I sit on the sand petting Champ and thinking about my plan.

We’re close to Nimbasa now, and it's getting dark. Champ and me managed another win against a scruffy-looking starley, but after that he was tired, so we snuck down the rest of the route, ducking behind rocks and trees, so that no one would see us and want to have a fight.

When I walk into the city, I have to focus real hard on keeping my mouth shut and stopping my head from swiveling round and round. At home, all the buildings were gray, gray, gray, but here there are colors, and it's not even a festival day!

The people are more colorful too. They don't wear gray suits like the business people back home or the pieced-together greyish clothes of everyone else, but bright pinks and blues and yellows. Most of them are looking into their transceivers. The ones that aren't move together in large groups, laughing loudly with their friends. Mom calls Nimbasa the 24-hour leisure town, and I guess I'm seeing what she means.

The first place I go is the pokemart. The stupid clerk keeps an eye on me as I walk around the store, like I'm going to run off with his stupid items or something. Well, I'm not.

Almost half of my new money goes into buying a pokeball for Champ. They won't heal him at the pokecenter unless he's in a pokeball, that's what Sammy said. The pokeball is weird to hold. It's so shiny and perfect that I almost want to try and see if Champ's teeth can make a mark. I wonder⁠—if Champ was in the pokeball and something crushed it, would Champ die?

"Wanta try it?" I ask Champ.

He's also staring at the pokeball. "Rat-tat," he says, his tail going slowly from one side to the other.

"You don't have to. We can do the pokecenter thing tomorrow. We don't even need to go." I'm feeling pretty rotten at the idea of making Champ into red light and squeezing him into the ball.

"Rat-tat-tat," Champ reminds me.

He's right. "Okay," I say. "Champ. You just stand there. Uh, yeah. And I'll just⁠—"

I hold out the poke ball awkwardly, so that it's facing Champ and press down on the button. With a happy sort of click, the poke ball opens, red light going all around Champ like a sandstorm and then there's just a red light and then nothing. I'm holding the poke ball, and for the first time on this journey I'm actually alone. Champ's not by my feet, reminding me to be tall.

I take in a big breath and push the button again. It's like someone is squeezing my heart, but then there's Champ and he looks all the same. "You okay?" I ask him.

"Tat," he says."Ratta-tatta."

"What's it like?"

"Ratta-rat ratta-rat rat."

I don't think I've ever heard him say that before. Figuring out what Champ means when he talks sort of takes a while. I didn't understand him at all back when we first met. Well, I did get him when he nipped at my legs, but it took me some time and a lot more bites to figure out that Champ has a whole language, even though he only says one word.

I sit with Champ for a while, as we both listen to the sounds of this town. It's quieter than back home, despite all the colorful people⁠—quiet was almost a myth in Castelia, but here the voices of people on the street rise and fall and then fade into the light murmur of the wind on the rooftops.

"Do you think you can do it again?" I ask Champ. "So that you can be healed?"

"Ratta-tatta," he says.

"That's not a yes."

"Tat," he says, sure this time.

I stand. "Okay then. Let's check out our first pokecenter, yeah?"

I remind myself that Champ's already braved the pokeball, and so I can be brave too.

Chapter Four
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Nurse Joy is nice. Almost too nice.

I want to like her because she's nice, but she makes me feel all antsy. Maybe it's how she acts almost like she cares about me. She smiles really widely like how my mom does. Except she's not my mom and she doesn't know me, so her smile makes me want to flinch back a bit.

Instead I make a small smile back at her, just push up the corners of my lips and try not to look scared.

The pokemon center is shiny, shiny, shiny. I feel sort of dirty and like I don't fit. I keep thinking someone is going to notice me, and point me out, and call the whole town over to laugh at me and say, "She's different, she doesn't belong here."

I wish my clothes looked nicer.

But I know I'm being silly. Some other trainers walk in, sandy-sandy from the desert, and after that I don't mind so much.

While I wait for Champ, I read a pamphlet that Nurse Joy gave me when I started clenching and unclenching my hands because I had nothing to hold. I'm not fast at reading. There are schools at Castelia, but no one cares if you go or don't. Well, Mom cared, so I went, sometimes, but they mostly told you stupid stuff like the names of pokemon in far-away places like Sinnoh and Johto. Though now that I think about it, I guess knowing more pokemon names might be useful now.

"Whatever," I say, real quietly. "We don't need to know their names to beat them." Then I realize I've been talking out-loud to Champ, except Champ's not here, and then I freeze for a minute or so, too afraid to look anywhere but forward. When no one says a word to me, and the noisy hum of the pokemon center doesn't shift, I allow myself a shaky breath and risk a look around. It's all fine; no one's heard me talking to myself.

I try to read again, but picking out the words is tiring, and it's been a long day. My eyes are sore from the desert sands and my face feels raw from the wind. If I were home, I'd be half-dozing at the table while Mom and Dad put together something yummy, but I'm not at home and I can't fall asleep here.

I shift again on the pink cushion and start to bring my watch out, sneaky-like. Probably no one would steal it here, but all the same, I don't want people to be looking at it. Or at me.

The watch says it's been twenty-two minutes. I really, really want to ask Nurse Joy how long it'll be. Will I have to stay all night? Another five minutes edge by, and then when Nurse Joy glances around the room, I don't duck my head fast enough and she meets my eyes.

"Lena, right?" she says. "Have you been waiting this whole time? Your rattata should be done with his check-up soon." She looks down at her computer for a moment. "He's newly caught, yes?"

I’m not sure what to say to that. Champ and I have been together a long time, but the pokeball is new. Probably I should just agree.

"Yes," I say.

"Well, a wild pokemon's first check-up generally takes longer than a trained or bred pokemon's. We have to make sure the pokemon doesn't have any diseases or nutritional problems. Or pregnancies," she says, smiling at me, "but that shouldn't be a problem with your little guy."

I feel sorry for wanting to hide when Nurse Joy smiles. She sounds nice, like she cares about Champ, too. I don't think Champ's sick, but suddenly I'm worried that he is.

Maybe my worry shows, because Nurse Joy starts talking again."Disease isn't common," she says. "Most diseased pokemon don't go near enough to trainers to be caught. I wouldn't worry about your rattata. In fact, it looks like the check-up is over. Your rattata should be brought out in a few minutes."

"Great," I say, my tongue a bit too heavy. I start really smiling, at the ceiling, at the walls, at her. "That's great!"

"Will you be boarding in the center?" she asks me.

My smile tries to run away from my face, but I don't let it. "Um," I breath in, "yeah?"

"Then give me your trainer ID, and I can sign you in."

It's like I've been walking through the city, and the sun's especially bright and the air especially sweet, when suddenly I've walked over an open manhole and didn't notice, and then I'm falling so far down into a dark hole that doesn't have a bottom. I grip the sides of my jacket sleeves real tight.

"My parents didn't tell me about a trainer ID," I say, only a little trembly.

Nurse Joy lets out a sigh, like Dad does when it's trash day. "Parents," she says, shaking her head. "They never do. Well come here, dear, we'll get you set up."

I take small steps forward until I'm back standing at the front counter. Nurse Joy's sat down in front of her computer.

"Name?" she asks.

"Lena."

"I should have specified, Lena. I mean your full name."

"Oh." I blush a bit. "Lena Castel."

"Hometown?"

"Castelia City."

"Are you planning to register for this year's Pokemon League?"

"Um."

"If you aren't sure, you can wait, but you need to register no later than three months before the competition."

"Okay." I think most trainers do register, so probably I shouldn't say that I don't want to.

"Now, smile!"

Hesitantly, I do, as Nurse Joy holds a small screen in front of me. It flashes, and I blink. Nurse Joy turns it around and I see my face: tangled hair, sand-reddened skin, and looking like I'm facing down a beartic. Nurse Joy smiles a bit. I think she's laughing at me, but I don't mind. I would laugh at me too. "You can update your ID photo at any city pokemon center," she tells me.

"Okay."

"Put your hand onto this screen, please," Nurse Joy says. When I hesitate, she explains. "This device will record your fingerprints. Standard procedure."

I guess the device makes a picture of my hands, or something. I put my hands onto the screen, and a minute later, Nurse Joy says, "Done! That's the last of it. I should have your trainer ID ready in the next hour or so. Just check back here to pick it up."

I think I'm allowed to take my hands off the screen, so I do.

Nurse Joy presses a button on her desk, and talks for a moment. She smiles at me again and says, "Your rattata is finished with his appointment, too! He's perfectly healthy, if a bit on the scrawny side. Why don't you too have some dinner now? Cafeteria is open all hours."

A chansey brings Champ out and he runs over real fast to me and jumps in my arms. I hold him close and stroke his fur and scritch his head a bit. And I lean down and say softly into his ear, "Guess what, Champ? We're going to the buffet."

My first thought is, Sammy wasn't lying. The buffet is enormous. There's food in these great big silver platters with great big spoons for ladling it onto your plate. There are white, white, white mashed potatoes—without skin bits in them! Mom always leaves the skin bits in because she says they're good for me.

By the mashed potatoes I find soft fresh rolls that sort of melt in my mouth when I chew. Most of the bread we usually ate was more crunchy. I liked it crunchy, but the soft is so, so good.

There's also some nutriloaf, which is what non-vegetarians who aren't rich eat. I put some on my plate just to try but it tastes weird. I eat it all though, cause Mom told me to never waste my food, and I shouldn't, not even here.

There are these fried dough balls on a stick that are so greasy and yummy I want to dance. I would have danced if I were at home. There's also lots of salad, which I don't see the point of. But the pecha berry salad is sweet so I try some of that.

The biggest shock comes when I bring up my plate to put it with all the others. Most of the other plates still have food on them! One has a whole serving of mash potatoes and two dough balls! The cleaning woman reaches for the plate and without thinking I put up my hand to stop her. "Sorry! That's—that's mine. I'm not actually done." Quickly I snatch the plate and walk back to the tables. I hope she didn't think that was weird. What if she throws me out? But when I risk looking up she's back to cleaning the plates.

Most of the trainers are chatting with each other, but I find a table where no one else is at except this quiet old lady. She's got gloves and her clothing looks made nicely. She's eating a salad.

Even though I'm full, I eat the mashed potatoes and the dough balls and give some to Champ. Champ really likes the dough balls but I think they're bad for him. Tasty things often are.

Once I've finished that second plate, I find the lady watching me hard.

"It's nice to see a young lady finishing her plate," she says.

"Thanks," I say. "Mom said I should," I add, because I notice her plate is clean too.

"So many rude children around," she says. "I'm glad some youngsters still listen to their parents. Really, running to and fro without a please or a thank you, no manners at all. Now dear, you always thank your mother when she works hard, don't you?"

"Yes," I say.

"Good." The lady nods like my manners are somehow her doing. "You'll go far, child, if you mind your etiquette."

I don't know what etiquette means but I'm too nervous to ask her. "Thank you," I say again. "Er, I need to bring my plate up."

She nods and waves a hand, which I think means I can leave. "C'mon Champ," I mutter, and we go.

There's a whole bunch of kids my age, or close to it, standing together in the lobby. One of them waves me over.

"Why've you got your rattata out of its pokeball?" the boy asks me right away once I'm close.

The question takes me by surprise. "Johto style," I say quickly, remembering Waylon.

He nods like what I said makes sense and moves to the side, making room for me. "We were just talking about what pokemon we plan to catch," he tells me.

"Rare pokemon," adds a girl. "Special pokemon."

"Not rattatas, that's for sure," says another boy with a short laugh. He smiles at me. I don't smile at him.

"Bet you can't wait to ditch yours for something stronger, huh?" the girl asks me. Her voice sounds nice, except I don't think it's nice.

I don't say anything. I just sort of leave. They're all saying stuff behind me as I walk away—"Hey, no offense meant!" "Didn't mean—" "Think she actually likes that rattata?" "Weirdo" "People get gushy about their first catch, I don't blame her." But I don't listen because I don't care.

I don't care.

Chapter Five
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    For the next week, Champ and I do the same thing. In the morning we eat a huge breakfast at the pokecenter. Then we go out and train. Champ does his moves, but really we're just watching all the other trainers.

Right now these two trainers are facing off. They're both Fives—that's what the other kids call a trainer with five badges. Fives are only 'sposed to fight Fives, or maybe Fours or Sixes. Same goes for all the other trainers who have so many badges, you're only 'sposed to fight people at your level so it's fair. Since I don't have any badges, I'm a Noob.

I only fight the other Noobs, or the stupid-heads who pokemon train as a "hobby" like Waylon. I could fight a One if I wanted to, but I don't see why I should. It's not like they pay much more, and if Champ gets beat then the whole day is over and I have to sit in my pokemon center room staring out the window and being bored. If Champ gets beat, it's hard to keep myself from sneaking over to the great big carousels and imagining paying for a ride. But everything is expensive in Nimbasa, and I know I can't. Anyway, when Champ gets beat he feels bad, and I hate it when Champ feels bad.

I find a stone the size of an oran berry.

"Bite," I tell Champ, and toss the stone at him. He leaps up and his mouth works real fast. Then the stone's in two bits on the ground.

A trainer calls out, "Fury swipes," and I see a purloin attack with flashing claws. Purloins are meanies. They want food when you've got it. They want food when you haven't got it, too. A purloin stole Sammy's whole dinner once, though I think that was sort of her fault. Sammy likes purloins.

Sammy's a bit weird.

I've watched this purloin train. Its claws look fierce, sure, but I've seen it scratching up the tree and I think Champ's teeth are stronger. Strong's not the only thing I have to think about now, though. There's speed, too. I think the purloin and Champ move about the same, both purple blurs when they get going.

"What about it, Champ?" I say. "Wanta beat that purloin?"

"Tatta," he says.

We move closer to the purloin trainer. She's a hobby trainer, I'm sure, and her purloin's no real fighter.

"How about a battle," I say with a sort of smile. At my feet, Champ says, "Ta ta!"

She looks surprised for a moment. Then she smiles back and gives her purloin a pat. "Fine by me," she says. Her purloin struts out and Champ goes up to meet it.

"Tackle," I say. Tackle's a good way to start. Some pokemon dodge; some pokemon attack right back. Either way, it shows me a little more about how they fight. Besides, trainers think tackle is a noob's move.

"Dodge it, Purloin," the trainer says. The purloin dodges right, easy enough. Champ's tackle gave it plenty of time. "Now, fury swipes!"

Purloin comes in close, claws shining.

I say in a jumble, "Stay. Tail whip. Hyper fang." We've only ever practiced this so far, but Champ's tail blocks the purloin's first swipe. As it blinks, he's already turning, his teeth bright. Champ hits the purloin straight on.

"Woah," the trainer says. "Fast rat." She's frowning as her purloin gets up. "Sand attack!"

"Close your eyes, Champ," I say. He does just as the sand hits his face, but his eyes are still closed when the purloin moves closer again, and starts to swipe. Again and again. I feel useless as Champ is getting beat. Cuts open all across his body.

The purloin steps back to breath. "Fury swipes, again," says its trainer.

Champ can't take that again.

"Sneak move!" I shout. Champ's done this before a few times, but it's still the best and most scary thing. Even though he's slow from purloin's claws, Champ's suddenly right by purloin, dark and close as a shadow. He hits purloin and it goes down.

Champ and I breathe, but the purloin doesn't get up.

With a small sigh, the trainer recalls her purloin and gives me a smile and a mound of poke. "Have a nice day," she says.

I'm busy hugging Champ, so I don't watch her go.

I'm not sure why I did it.

Maybe I just went funny in the head for a bit. That happens, right? Once I got loopy as a spinda off some candy I scrounged and I just started dancing in the streets with the weird dancing boys. Sammy still teases me for it.

I don't know why I challenged her. I mean, she was a One, with her badge and her black hair gleaming and her clothes like the ones in the pokemon trainer posters.

"When I met Haya I just knew," she was telling a few other kids. "I mean, we clicked. And Haya's just a real fighter. She's gonna smoke out the gyms, all in a row, whoomph!" She makes a motion and the kids smile. "Professor Elm said that Haya has an adamant nature," the girl goes on, "and that will make her attack really strong."

"Hey," I say. I speak too quietly and they don't hear, but instead of walking away it makes me angry. Like, I'm standing there, and they're just talking and laughing and not noticing me, and somehow it gets me mad and I say, louder, "Hey!"

The girl turns. "Is someone? Oh, hey. Uh."

"Wanta battle," I say.

"Sure." Her confused look turns eager. "Yeah, we'd love to."

"Clear off," one of her friends shouts. "Gonna have a battle." A loose crowd gathers around us and the area clears.

"Let’s go, Haya!" she says, throwing the pokeball high into the air. "Oh, and I'm Sakurako, but you can just call me Sara for short. I don't think I got your name—?"

"Lena," I say. "Uh."

I don’t know her pokemon. It’s small and squat and first it doesn’t look so tough, but then it sucks in a big breath and flames burst up from its back. I start to chew on my lip. There aren’t any fire pokemon in the sewers.

“Come out, Champ,” I say softly. He looks at the fire and then at me, his ears twitching back. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

“Start strong, Haya! Use your flame wheel!”

There’s no time. Champ and I stare transfixed as a ball of fire shoots towards us. All Champ's attacks just rush out of my head. At the last moment Champ darts to the side, eyes wide and wild. I know I should call an attack now, but I'm too fraidy. What if it bursts into flame again? Then Champ'll get burned.

Sara waits a few seconds for me to respond, but when I don't she gives half shrug and says, "Ember."

This time the fire flies. "D-dodge," I say. "Uh. Go by a tree."

She won't send the fire by the tree, right?

"Tackle it," she says, pushing back her bangs.

"Quick move," I say, a bit more steady. "Then bite it." My voice goes up a little high on the word "bite." I half-notice that I've got my nails pressing too hard into my palms.

Champ's in the air when she says, "Smog" and then Champ's in a dark cloud of smoke, coughing and coughing.

"Finish with flame wheel," she says and this time the fire ball hits Champ straight on and sends him back a few feet, into the grass. He doesn't get up.

"Champ!" I say. "Champ, Champ, Champ."

At his side, I can see that he's not badly hurt, just singed and weak.

"Got any more pokemon?" Sara asks.

"No.”

"Oh. Then, good battle!" She walks over and smiles at us. "Your rattatta's a fast little guy. Better get him to the pokecenter, though." When she holds out her hand I count out some poke into it, the least I think I can give. She gives me a bright smile and walks away with her friends.

I blink after her for a moment, because she's nice.

But I think I hate her. I hate them, the other kids who are turning back to their talk about winning the league, the hobbyists who smile when they give up their poke, the way they all smile when they lose, like losing is okay, like it's a game.

"It's not a game to me," I tell nobody. Then I put Champ in the pokeball and take off for the poke center at a run.

Last edited:
    Chapter Six
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    @windskull @bluesidra @Persephone I did not expect all these day one reviews, lmao. In the whirlwind of Blitz it might be a while before I can make specific review responses but I really appreciate you taking the time to review here!

One quick clarification, though: Lena isn't illiterate. She can read, but she hasn't done much of it and she finds it difficult, particularly when the vocab is at a higher level.

I'm waiting on a bench for Champ to feel better. Nurse Joy gave me an info pamphlet the first time I brought Champ in and eventually I read it all. The pokecenters have a machine that works just like a full restore. It can heal any pokemon in an instant. The pamphlet said they prefer not to use it because it's bad for the pokemon's "overall health," but I think it just would cost too much if they used it for everyone, even not-real trainers like me.

Champ won't be healed enough for a few hours, since he fainted in the battle, and then we aren't 'sposed to battle again for 24 hours after a feint. I don't think many trainers follow that rule, though.

I sit on the bench and hope that no one looks at me. Champ's not here and without him I feel like an outsider. I keep thinking someone's going to see that I'm a fake now that I don't have a pokemon next to me. I'm not a trainer. I'm just here.

There's another trainer waiting alone on the bench opposite me. He's been playing on his pokegear the last hour, but now he's started to look up. Sometimes his gaze lands on me for a bit and when it does I try really hard not to be looking at him, which is tough, because there's nothing else to look at besides the walls.

Looking down too long feels like hiding, though, so I poke my head up like I've been down in the sewers all day and need a breath of fresh air. When I do, he looks up too. There's a long moment where we stare at each other and then I try and pretend I'm looking past his ear at the wall.

He swallows and he's going to say something, he's going to say something.

"Um, hi."

"Hi," I say, like the word is something I can squeeze into a ball and make small.

"You, uh, waiting for your, uh, pokemon?"

"Yeah," I say. I edge my lips up into a smile.

Quickly, he smiles back, and I notice that he's suddenly sitting looser. "Me too. It's my riolu. She lost pretty badly. It was a pidove. A mean pidove. I guess they're fierce." He sort of laughs, but not like it's funny.

"A riolu?" I say, keeping my eyes fixed forward.

"Yeah. Um, they're native to Sinnoh, guess most people here haven't heard of them. Riolu's a fighting type. I call her Athena. She's my starter―my parents bought her from a breeder. She's a bold nature, apparently." He shuts his mouth fast, like his words were a flock of pidoves escaping his mouth.

"I'm waiting for Champ," I say. "He's my rattata."

The boy frowns a bit. "A rattata? Aren't they diseased?"

"No!" I say, too loud. "Don't be dumb―Nurse Joy checks."

Then I shut my mouth fast too, because I was mean.

But part of me still goes on thinking, Champ's not sick and he's not dirty and why don't people all shut up. I want to tuck my head between my knees and cover my ears with my hands. The shininess of the pokemon center, the low humming of the machines, the swish of the door opening and closing―it's all too different and I don't want to be here.

"Sorry," the boy says. "Of course your rattata's not sick. I'm sorry, I don't know too much about wild pokemon. It was a stupid thing to think."

"Sorry," I say. "You're not stupid." I hope he'll stop talking or I hope the nurse will come out and tell me Champ is all better.

"I am, though!" His loudness surprises me. He's putting down his pokegear and leaning forward. "Honestly, I don't know the first thing about being a trainer! I'm a wreck at this. I― " He runs a hand through his limp blond hair. "I didn't even want to do this!"

I don't really care what he's talking about, because it's been a half hour now and Champ is hurt.

"Why are you doing it, then?" I say.

His face crumples. "My parents," he says. "It's like a family tradition. Go out, be a trainer, get enough badges so you won't be a failure, come home and run the business. But at this rate I won't even get one!"

I'm not sure what to say next.

Probably because I'm quiet, he leans away and says, "Sorry for just dumping that on you. It's just on my mind a lot. Uh, so what are your goals? Beating the league, right?"

"No," I say.

His face re-crumples a bit. "Oh, sorry. Uh, I know I'm saying that an awful lot. I shouldn't have assumed again. Just, most people are out to beat the league. So what is it, then?"

I freeze my face as I try and think. I don't think I'm allowed to say I want to make money. No one else says that. "I don't know," I say. "I'm just training. Um. To get stronger?"

I'm relieved when he nods, like that's an okay answer. "I get that," he says. "Cool. That's a better goal than mine."

I should say thank you, but I lied, so I can't really say thanks. When I say nothing for a long time, the silence gets heavy. He starts messing with his pokegear again. I look back at my pamphlet. It's all soft and crumpled because I keep rolling the edges up and back. Soon I think I'll see the words in my head when I fall asleep at night.

I don't like sleeping at the pokecenter. The room is too empty and the sounds are wrong. At night I roll around in the bed trying to sleep until finally I'm too tired to move. Then Champ nestles in beside me and I curl up around him. That part’s nice, at least.

I stand up real quick when Champ's brought out. I'm thinking that if I hadn't been so slow and fraidy he wouldn't have been burnt, and that I'm going to cuddle him real close tonight.

Chapter Seven
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Everything's wrong today. At breakfast the food tastes lumpy and weird in my mouth. I just push it around and around on my plate, until Champ starts to lick it up.

"Don't do that." I say. My voice comes out all spiky. "You'll get sick, you stupid fur-ball."

"Ta-rat," he says, backing away. He curls up beside my pack instead.

Sorry, I think, but I'm suddenly so mad. Champ looks tiny and silly curled up. I duck my head lower over my plate. The cafeteria is too loud, all those voices buzzing around like beedrill, about to attack. They all think Champ is silly, I think. They think Champ is weak.

He is.

The thought is like Sammy when she sneaks up behind me and puts her hands over my eyes. Champ's nothing like those pokemon on the movie posters, big and tough―I'm nothing like those trainers, the real ones who flip their pokeballs and call out commands sure and fast.

Well, good. I don't need to be.

Only, I don't want to feel so weak and like a cheater. Only it's not fair that Champ's small and common. It's not fair that I want to hide when the real trainers are around.

Champ has crept back over. He butts his nose into my arm. "Rat-tat?" he asks.

I shrug him off. "Nothing, stupid." Again the words come out louder than I mean, and sharper. Sorry, I think again, soft in my head where he can't hear it.

My plate's almost clean. I shove a last forkful into my mouth and stand abruptly to bring up my plate. I think Champ's following, but I can't hear his steps over the din of the cafeteria. Stupid tiny feet, I think spitefully.

Everything pricks at me. When Nurse Joy wishes me good morning I almost almost tell her shut-up. Outside the sun is too bright for the long pants and long shirt I'm wearing. Just waking down to the training area, my clothes get sticky fast. The other trainers are wearing tees and shorts. One girl has a yellow skirt that flutters like beautifly taking off. It's so, so pretty and even that makes me feel mad.

Champ and I go to our usual place, but when I look for a stone for practicing, I can't find a good one. They're all too small and stupid. I'm holding one of the small stones when Champ says, "Rat-ratta-tat tat-tat-ra."

I recognize my name in that, but not the rest. My eyes feel all hot and stingy. I'm too warm all over and I can feel the sweat on the back of my neck. Suddenly, I whip around and throw the stone at Champ. It hits his teeth with a clink and drops to the ground. He looks up at me, confused―upset―betrayed.

Slowly, I sink to the ground and start to cry. My tears come harsh and choked. I want to scream or I want to hug Mom, but I don't want the other trainers to see me. I tuck my legs up to my chest and press my face down. The tears streak out of my eyes, hot and wet.

I'm not sure how long I sit there, but the tears come slower and I start to notice how the grass is bent under my feet and how the sun is still beating on my neck. I edge out a hand and pull up blades of grass.

Where's Champ?

More than anything, I want him to be pressed up by my side, so that I can stroke his fur. I start to look around the clearing, blinking. At first my head feels rusty, like I haven't moved in days. Everything is heavy―my arms, my legs, my face.

"Champ?" I say.

I close my eyes to listen, but I don't hear anything besides the far-off yells of the other trainers.

"Champ?" I say again.

The silence is so loud.

Panic shoots through me. I'm on my feet again, quicker than a scyther.

"Champ," I say. "Champ? Champ!" I can hear my heart thumping. "Please Champ, are you there?"

I wipe my face quick, two clumsy swipes. There's just trees around me, and the sound of trainers battling in the distance. I run from tree to tree, but I can't find the purple of Champ's fur. And then all the bubbly panic drains out of me and I just feel so empty and tired. "Champ?"

He's left me, 'cause I'm a stupid-head, and mean. And now I'm alone.

"Sorry Champ. Sorry. Sorry."

Maybe he went back to the pokemon center. Maybe he's left and he's not coming back. Maybe he's lost. Maybe he's hurt. Maybe he's trying to find the way home and he doesn't know the way.

I walk slowly out into the field where the other trainers are. A guy is giving his starley a treat. The starly's pecking at his hair so maybe he won't be mean. I don't want to go near him, cause I don't know him and I don't have Champ―but I don't have Champ―so I step up and say, with all the etiquette I can, "Excuse me, have you seen a rattata?"

He looks up. "Yeah, I think so. Five, ten minutes ago, I think one went by."

"Which way do you know?" I say all in a jumble.

He thinks a bit. "Sorry, I don't remember which way it went." Then he smiles at me.

I smile back at him quick because I have to and then run before he can ask me anything.

My head only says, Champ!

When I was tiny, Mom used to tell me a story.

Moltres was out flying. The sun was bright and he felt very happy. As he flew, he let out a huge burst of fire. But that fire caught on the trees below and spread. It burnt the nearby village's berry patch before they could put it out.

When Moltres realized what had happened, he was horrified. He wanted the people to forgive him, but when his shadow passed over them they called to their water pokemon. Moltres thought of the children crying over the lost berries and felt ashamed. So he did the only thing he could―he went to a secret island, known only to pokemon. It was always early spring there, with budding flowers and sweet clear skies.

This was the home of Mew.

Moltres landed on the island and tucked in his wings. "Mew," he called out, "I've done something terrible and I don't know what to do!"

"What have you done?" Mew said, appearing in front of him.

Moltres told her.

"Oh," she said, "that is a very terrible thing. Why have you come here?"

"I didn't mean for it to happen, Mew. But I don't know how to get the people to forgive me―they run away when I fly close."

"I can help you," Mew said, "but you must do one thing for me first"

"Anything!" said Moltres quickly. He was one of the mightiest pokemon to take wing. Whatever task Mew gave him would not be hard for him to complete.

"Find me the hardest word, and I'll tell you how to solve your problem" Mew said.

The hardest word? Moltres was confused.

"Go on then," Mew said. "Unless you want to stay and play a game!'

Moltres shook his head hastily. Mew's games could last centuries. "I will find you that word," he promised.

Moltres flew all around the land. He flew during the night, so that he would not scare anyone. He was careful not to flame. He heard all sorts of words and many of them seemed to him hard.

But every time he went to Mew with a word, she would shake her head.

"That's not right," she said. "That's not the word I'm looking for."

Finally, Moltres could take it no longer. He had flown until even his great wings grew sore. The destruction that he had caused still haunted him―and now he could not even complete Mew's task. One fine day, he landed on Mew's island. She appeared, smiling, but her smile fell when she saw his expression.

"What's wrong, Moltres?"

Moltres hung his head. "I can't do it, Mew. I can't find the hardest word." He dipped his head down further, and said the only thing he could say to fill up the silence. "I'm sorry."

Head bowed, he waited for Mew's reaction.

She laughed. "What are you talking about, silly?" she said. "You just gave it to me."

What? Moltres looked up at Mew.

She spun a circle. "Sorry," she said. "The hardest word is sorry. And if you want the people you hurt to forgive you, you must start by giving them the hardest word."

"Sorry isn't the hardest word," I had said to Mom when she told me that story the first time. "There are lots of harder words. Like regigigas. And unemployment. I say sorry all the time. Like when I spilled Sammy's drink on her yesterday. Or when I didn't set the table."

"Ah," Mom said. "But when you've done something truly wrong, I think you'll understand what Mew meant."

As I walk towards Champ, I think that Mom's right. Saying sorry was saying you were wrong―and saying you were wrong meant you might not be forgiven.

"Hey Champ."

He looks at me, but says nothing, measuring the distance between us with his eyes.

I take a deep breath, and say the hardest word.

The story Lena's mom tells is based on The Hardest Word by Jacqueline Jules. If you enjoyed it, you should also check out the wizard's word by kintsugi!

Last edited:
    Chapter Eight
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Outside, it's dark. Champ and I are huddled under the covers. I've been petting him the last hour and he's so relaxed he sprawls out on the bed like pudding.

"I know we had a plan," I say. "It's a good plan. It's so good. I mean, we've got 2,000 poke already. 2,346. That's more than Dad gets in a week. But―"

I bite my lip and pull at the covers. "It just. It just makes me feel sick. Not like in my stommy or anything, just bad. Us fighting all those losers we can beat."

"Tat."

"I want to try, Champ. I want to try fighting the better Noobs, the Ones. Maybe even the gym. Because we're not bad! We're not so much more badder than they are."

"Tat ratta-ratta-tat!" His eyes are bright in the dimly lit room.

"I'm so proud of you," I say. I realize I'm crying a bit. "I want to do this so much only I feel like it's stupid, that we'd fail, and I hate feeling like that. Or that I'm letting down Mom. Cause if we start fighting the real trainers, we'll lose sometimes. We won't make all the money we could make."

I wonder if maybe I've gotten selfish out here on my own. I don't have to think about my food or my bed or what's going to happen tomorrow here. Mom and Dad do. Sammy does. Everyone does back at home.

I sit quiet, thinking hard. "If, if we're going to do this, like the other trainers do, we've got to be smart." Then a yawn hits me and I notice how heavy my eyes feel. "Maybe I'll be smart in the morning," I tell Champ.

"Rattata," he chitters at me, and curls up right on my stomach.

At the cafeteria, I run into the waiting-boy again. Or he runs into me, I guess. He plunks down his tray at my table and says hi, looking like I'm going to bite him. Well, I won't. Champ might.

"I'm Walter," he says. "I never got your name?"

"Lena," I say, through a spoonful of porridge.

He fiddles with the berries on his plate. "Have you been here long?" he asks.

"Been a few weeks, I think." It hits me for the first time then, I guess. I've never been away so long. "It's the longest I've ever been from home," I find myself telling him, and then I want to smack myself. What a stupid thing for a trainer to say. So nooby. So dumb.

"That's rough," he says. "I'm pretty new to the training thing, but I'm used to being away from home. That's probably the least scary part of it for me. The battling, though―" He laughs a little, but it sounds sad. "That's another thing."

"It's not the fighting I mind," I tell him. I feel less stupid, now that he's called it scary.

He nods. "I get that. You seem tough."

"Tough?"

He shrugs. "Yeah."

I like how that sounds. It would be cool to be tough.

"I'm not really," I say. "Like, my mom. I miss her so much. I just want to talk to her."

"Why not call?"

I look at him for a moment, then look at my goopy porridge. “No phone,” I mumble.

“Oh,” Walter says, sitting up a bit in his seat. “The center has lots of them! Right in the lobby.”

He sounds proud of himself for noticing, which is just weird, cause I don’t know how anyone could miss them: six vidphones, all lined up in a row, with big shiny screens the size of a TV. “I know that.”

“Then―” Walter’s forehead goes all wrinkly.

“We don't have a phone at home," I tell him, not sure why he’s being so stupid all of a sudden.

He blinks. “Really? You don't?"

I stick out my chin. "Do you?"

"Well, yeah. Most people do."

Most people don't, I think. Sammy didn't have a phone at home. And neither did the dancing boys. All the grey-men in the streets―I knew they had phones they carried around with them everywhere, but real people didn't. Right?

"We don't have a phone," I say again.

He does this thing where he jerks his mouth open and shut and moves his hands around. "It's just weird for me to think of any house not having a phone," he says finally.

"What do we need a phone for?"

"Um, calling people who aren't there? Like, family?"

"Well, all my family's in Castelia."

"Then I guess," he tries to smile, but messes it up, "you don't need a phone."

I frown at him. "Phones are expensive," I say. "That's why we don't have one." I don't want to act like we chose not to buy a phone just cause we didn’t want it, or something stupid like that.

"Oh," he says.

I know he's a rich kid. I can smell the money on his clothes. But he said being a trainer is scary and that I'm tough, so I guess he's not so bad.

I take a large spoonful of my food, suddenly hungry. "Hey, you know how you asked me what Champ and I were going to do?"

"Yeah."

"Well, we're going to get stronger."

He nods. "You told me, I think," he says, all polite. All etiquette.

Yeah, but I was lying when I told you, I think. Now I'm not.

By the end of breakfast, I've got another plan.

Walter tells me some things I didn't know before. Like, with money you've got to give more if you have more, which sounds fair to me. I don't know if it's really a rule or just an etiquette thing, but that's how it works, Walter says. But what that means is, if I don't have anything then I've got nothing to lose. If I send money home when I have it and fight when I don't, then even if I lose everyday only Champ and me will be hurt.

How to get the money to Mom is the hard part. "What do you think?" I ask Champ.

"Rat-tat-tat," Champ says, biting at my leg. He runs off towards the counter at the front. I follow him slowly, wishing he wasn't so smart. Nurse Joy can prob'ly help. Only I don't want to ask her.

Too late. Champ's already chittering at her. I trudge up behind him.

"Oh hello, Lena. Can I help you?"

I finger my shirt, all fraidy. "How—can—if I wanted to send some money home could you help me?"

Nurse Joy smiles. "Of course! Do you have a PC at your house?"

I'm not so sure what a PC is. But I am sure we don't have one. "No."

"In that case, the easiest way is to transfer money to your local pokemon center for your family to claim."

"You can do that?"

"Easily. Cash or credit?"

I bite my lip. " . . . cash?" I try, pulling out a wad of poke.

Nurse Joy sees how I don't know, I think. "Credit is just a virtual way of storing money. It's very useful if you have more poke than you want to keep on you, or if you’re sending money over long distances. All trainer cards have a credit function. You can convert your cash to credit at any official pokecenter, mart, or other league building. You have to be careful that it is an official league outpost, of course, because there are criminals out there who will steal your credit if you give them your card unwisely. Most professional trainers use credit—it makes determining post-match rewards much simpler." Nurse Joy stops for a moment, maybe so I can think over all that. "Let me know if you want to start storing your money as credit. In the meantime, what amount would you like to transfer, where to, and to whom?"

I start pulling the poke out of my bag. It's weird, having all my money out like that. I keep looking around to see who's watching. I’m not a baby—I know it’s not safe to go flashing all your money around. Nurse Joy puts my money through some sort of device, and when I lean over a number blinks on the screen: 2346.

Nurse Joy moves the screen so I can see. "I'll need your trainer card, please."

I give it to her and she scans it. When my face comes up on the screen, she taps a thing that says "Transfer."

"To Castelia," I say. She nods and taps the screen again.

"Who do you want to designate to pick the money up?"

"Um." I realize I don't have any way of telling Mom or Dad that there's money from me at the poke center. They never go there, anyway. The only person I know who goes is—

"Sammy!" I say.

"Could I have a last name?"

"Sammy Thomas. But," I frown, "she won't know. Can you, I don't know, maybe tell them to tell her if they see her? Cause they know her—it's just that she won't know."

Nurse Joy smiles. "I'll call the center," she says, and dials. "Hello! This is Nurse Joy from Nimbasa City. I have a money transfer to be picked up by one Sammy Thomas. Are you familiar with her?" The other nurse nods. "Ms. Thomas doesn't know about the transfer," this Joy continues. "Can you let her know as soon as you see her?"

"Not a problem!"

"Is this a one-time thing, or will these transfers be ongoing?"

"Um, ongoing," I say. "And, um." Both Joys look at me. "Can you tell Sammy it's for my family, please?" They're still looking at me and I feel strange, like I've been caught in the back-allies after dark and someone's waiting to jump me.

"Can do," the Castelia Nurse Joy says. "Anything else?"

I shake my head.

Nurse Joy ends the call.

"And is there anything else I can do for you?" this Joy asks.

"No," I say. "Thanks. Um. Thanks a lot for helping me."

"It's my job," she says.

I start to go away, but I'm too curious. "Excuse me, but why are you both named Joy?"

"Joy isn't my name," she says, laughing a bit. "Nurse Joy’s an old title, meaning that I'm officially certified by the international pokemon league as both a doctor and a league representative."

"Oh." I wonder what her real name is, but I'm way too fraidy to ask.

Champ and I go outside. We've got no money now—it's all gone virtual. I wonder for a bit if Sammy will bring the money to my family. But I'm being stupid. I trust Sammy.

I wonder if Mom and Dad will be proud of the money I've made them. I should have sent Sammy a message to give Mom! I think suddenly. But maybe the money is my message—I love you; I'm tough.

I can fight whoever I want to now. I don't have to be fraidy about it. I can fight just to see whose pokemon is stronger and whose battling is better, like the real trainers do.

It hits me all at once. Everything I used to dream about when I was just a kid and didn't know better is coming true.

"I'm so lucky, Champ," I say. He butts his head against my leg, and I blink a bit. I don't think I'd mind crying now. Crying cause you're happy isn't so bad.

Last edited:
    Chapter Nine
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Battling's harder now that I don't just fight the noobs. The first two trainers we fight beat us. But the third time, we win. That's how it goes for the next week, battles and battles. When we win I send the money home. (Though sometimes I take some and buy Champ a treat because he's so good and he deserves it).

The week goes by quick. I don't think of home too much at all. When I battle I think about battling. When I wait for Champ in the pokecenter, I think of what we could have done different. Sometimes I talk to Walter. He's bad at fighting, but I'm not a meany about it. He knows all sorts of things I don't know.

I'm starting to get more level with the Ones. They keep saying to me, "Training for your gym battle, eh?" until I start to think that maybe I am. If I had a badge everyone would know I was serious. That I wasn't just some noob. I don't get why it bothers me so much, them thinking I'm a noob. I am, even, just—I am serious. I want them to look at me like I matter.

I know the gym leader's Elesa. She's a model and they show her all the time on the big public TVs. She wears clothes that don't even look like clothes. She might be the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

When I see her on the screen, I stop and watch for a bit. The other trainers are always talking about her, not just the Ones but even the Threes and Fours. Which means she's tough.

"Maybe we should check out the gym," I say. "Just look."

Champ shrugs.

It's crowded there. Some of the people are trainers, I think, watching the building like I am. Maybe they're working up their courage to go in. That thought makes me feel better. I'm not the only one who's scared.

Most of the other people don't have pokeballs. They're dressed real nice. Maybe they're training too, except as models and not pokemon trainers. Or maybe they're just like me and think Elesa is the most beautiful person in the world.

I stand around for almost a whole hour before I start to creep up towards the front. Well. Actually, Champ gets a bit antsy and starts to go, so I go after him. The woman at the door looks sort of sleepy. She asks me the question she's been asking everyone else. "Here for a challenge?"

I'm not sure how to answer. I know only the people who say yes go inside. But if I say yes I would be fighting a gym leader. I don't know how to do that. I don't know if I'm allowed to do that.

"No," I say. Then I blurt, "Sorry," for wasting her time. I almost run away then, but an idea hits me and I say real fast, "Could I watch a battle?"

The woman smiles at me, but it’s the smile people give to say no. "I'm afraid that's not possible. Our gym, like most others, has a strict privacy policy for challengers." She looks at me a little more. "However, if you're interested in watching Elesa battle, the pokecenter should have records of some of her exhibition matches."

"Thank you so much," I say. Then I go. But I don't run away.

We spend the night watching battle tapes. It's actually really fun. Nurse Joy lets me use a TV all for myself and Chansey brings me a hot chocolate, and since the center is pretty quiet, they even end up joining me on the couch.

"I've always been a great admirer of Elesa," Nurse Joy tells me. "Her beauty and her power." She's quiet for a bit, and then says. "Also, whenever I see her I think of my sister. She's a fashion designer, working in Lumiose City now. I don't suppose you've heard of Boutique Couture?"

I shake my head.

"Well, it's an incredibly exclusive fashion store. They take only the best." Nurse Joy looks proud, and then her smile falls and she sighs. "I wish Cisi were a little better at staying in touch, though."

I wonder what it's like to have a sister. If someone was back at home with Mom and Dad I'd feel less bad about being so far away. I don't think I've been very good at staying in touch either.

On the screen, Elesa's zebstrika bursts into flames. "I thought it was an electric type!" I exclaim.

"It is," Nurse Joy says, "but being an electric type doesn't preclude it from learning other move-types as well. And a single type specialist like Elesa has to teach her pokemon a diverse set of moves so that they won't be helpless against their type weaknesses."

"Oh." I'm really glad Nurse Joy is here. She knows a lot about pokemon. Maybe she was a trainer first and then decided she wanted to be a nurse.

Nurse Joy glances up at the clock. "I should check in on the intensive care unit. When you're done watching, just turn off the TV and give the records to Chansey. Don't stay up too late though." She stifles a yawn and then looks embarrassed.

This time I don't mind as much that she's trying to be like my mom. Ten minutes after she's left I notice I'm yawning too. Champ snickers at me a bit.

Bed time, I guess.

"You don't have any money?"

I shake my head quickly.

The One looks annoyed. "I've seen you winning some battles around here. Don't you have anything from that?"

"I spent it," I say, a little trembly. "O-on supplies. For Champ."

The One sighs. "What a waste of time," he mumbles. "Whatever."

I watch him go, feeling like I can't breathe. Any moment he's going to turn around, ask my name, look at my ID, grab my arm and take me to the police. The police would know I'm not a real trainer. They'd send me home or they'd arrest me and maybe they'd come to our house and take back the money I sent or they'd arrest Mom and Dad too, or worse yet they'd say I'm some sort of thief, which I am not because I won those battles fair. I won those battles fair just like the other trainers did, and nobody said there's a rule against fighting like I'm doing. Only I'm not a real trainer and maybe no-one would care—

A hand touches my shoulder and I flinch away from it.

"Hey, sorry for startling you." It's a boy about my age, but he’s tall. "I just wanted to come over and apologize for Tyler. He can be a bit of a jerk when things don't go his way, you know? He's got no right to lash out at you like that."

"It's okay," I mumble, my heart still pounding. I want him to get away too. I want both of them to forget I exist.

"Okay," the boy says. He smiles a bit. "Just wanted to clear that up. Tyler's not a bad guy, you know?"

I don't have anything to say to that, really. I don't know if Tyler's a bad guy or not.

"Right," the boy says. "Well, nice to meet you. And sorry about that."

He takes off at a jog, and I watch him catch up to his friend.

"Ratta!"

Champ's voice catches me by surprise. I pick him up, hugging him close. "What am I doing, Champ?" I say. "Someone's going to catch me. They'll arrest me and take you away and we won't be together. I'm such a stupid-head. Going to that gym like I could go to a gym. They'd know I'm not a real trainer at a gym, they'd see it and they'd say what are you doing here? And—" I realize my voice is coming out like little sobs.

Champ nips at my arm. "Rat tat tat," he says firmly.

It finally hits me that Champ is tired from the battle. "You need to go to the pokecenter," I say slowly. That thought gets my head to straighten out.

When we get there, I have trouble meeting Nurse Joy's eyes. She was the one who helped me send the money, so it can't be wrong, can it? But Nurse Joy is nice. She might do things that were a little wrong and not care. Or maybe she thinks I'm just sending some of my money. She might not know I'm cheating.

The word really hits me then.

Because I am cheating.

But no matter what I do I'm cheating. It's cheating if I fight the noobs I know I can beat, but I have to do that if I don't send away my money. And Mom and Dad need my money.

Lena the Cheat. I try out my new nickname under my breath. It makes me feel sad.

I don't want to stay around the pokemon center any longer. All the other trainers, the ones who aren't cheats, make me feel icky and scared. "Let's walk around the city," I tell Champ when he's feeling better.

There's always something to do in Nimbasa city.

Normally I like the amusement park. Even if you don't go on rides there's all sorts of people and pokemon to see. But this time seeing all these people smiling and kids laughing with their pokemon makes my stommy feel tighter. I think how I'm at the amusement park, but I'm not buying anything. One of the stalls is giving out free samples—crispy berries on a skewer. I take one, sliding off a big red berry for Champ. He gives a happy chitter when he eats it.

I pop a piece of oran berry into my mouth. It tastes sweet and slightly charred, so good. But after I swallow, my stomach twists. Because I ate it, but I didn't buy it.

I'm cheating again.

It's starting to get dark, so we begin to head back to the pokecenter. We're passing the pokemart on our way back when a woman with short hair and a crisp white shirt comes up to us and sticks a microphone in my face.

"Are you N-O for T-Ms?" she says loudly.

I blink. "Um?"

The woman sighs. "Youth perspective, they say. We want the youth perspective. Hasn't anyone ever told them the youth don't care?" She gives a louder sigh, and pushes back her dark-blue bangs. The guy next to her, with the big camera, sort of shrugs.

"Look," she says, this time to me. "T-M. Stands for Technical Machine. Instantaneously teaches your pokemon a move it may not be able to learn any other way. Gyarados that can spout fire! Glameows that can breathe ice! All the rage, until a few scientists released a study which found that pokemon exposed to TMs can suffer dangerous side effects. Bone weakness, reduced lifespan, potentially fatal, etc. Instant controversy. Some trainers say the study is inconclusive and just fear-mongering. Others accuse the TM industry of concealing anti-TM research. But what we'd like to know is, have you, a young, fresh-faced trainer, ever used a TM?"

"No." I answer her automatically. Then what she was saying finally hits me. "You're saying TMs aren't safe?" I ask. I thought TMs were what the good trainers used.

"Why haven't you used a TM before?" the woman asks me. "What's stopped you?"

I want to leave, but she's right in my face and I don't know what to do except answer her. "They cost too much," I mumble.

"A little louder?" The mic is under my nose again.

"They cost too much!" I say, loud this time.

"Hm." The mic is gone and she leans back. "Hey. Story. 'For trainers who can't afford TMs' – scratch that—'For trainers on a budget, banning TMs could level the battle-field.' Whatd'ya think, Ness?"

Camera Guy gives another shrug. She twists her head dramatically upwards. "Blessed beedrill, it's like talking to a nosepass. Listen—what's your name?"

"Lena," I say, before I can think of why not to. I clamp my mouth shut.

"Right, Lena. Here's my number. Add me to your x-phone. I'll be wanting to talk to you again."

"What? I don't have that."

"Oh." Her eyes go big. "That's perfect. Inconvenient, though. Trainer ID then, please." I hold it out and she looks at it. "Lena Castel. Castelia City. My name's Stel. Stel Nausica, top reporter for Unova Daily. Nice to meet you, Lena."

She holds out an expectant hand, and I take it. Her grip is steady and quick.

"Listen," she says, looking straight into my eyes. "Would you mind if I did a quick interview?"

I look up in panic.

"It doesn't have to be filmed if being on camera makes you uncomfortable," Stel continues. She flicks a finger at her companion. "Go get b-roll," she snaps. He leaves without replying.

"We can find a nice cafe and get a treat for you and your rattata." She leans down and extends a hand for Champ to examine. "Does it have a name?"

"His name is Champ," I say, watching. Champ sniffs her hand a few times and finally gives his approval, butting his head against her arm.

Champ looks up at me. His eyes are saying yes. "Okay," I tell her, and try not to look like I'm scared.

Chapter Ten
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Everyone knows about the Unova Daily. You have to pay to get it, so we don't, but sometimes I found old copies left on the street. Mom liked to read them.

At the cafe, Stel buys me a fresh pecha juice that is the sweetest thing I've ever tasted, and also a warm buttery pastry. She gets Champ the same thing.

"So Lena, tell me about yourself," she says after we sit down. "How did you get started?"

I swallow. "Um. Champ and I," I point to Champ, "we just started out?"

"And how did you come to be with Champ?"

"We met?"

Stel puts down her mic. "I know you haven't done anything like this before, Lena. I don't want to come off as intrusive or intimidating. Now, it sounded to me like you thought that was a pretty stupid question."

I blush. I've never heard an adult call their own questions stupid before.

Stel smiles. "That's okay! If I ask you a stupid question, just let me know, all right? Now, would I be correct in saying that Champ was a wild pokemon when you met?"

"Yeah."

"Tell me about it."

She looks at me expectantly.

"Well, we just met. We hung out. Champ helped me look around in the sewers. People drop things there sometimes. And we'd both heard about trainers. And we thought that maybe—so Champ and I started training." I duck my head, thinking hard. Stel talks too quick and sometimes I don't know the words that she uses. But I like how she asked for Champ's name and got him a pastry too. I like the way she smiles at Champ and me. I think her eyes seem nice.

"I'm not a real trainer," I say, all in a spurt. "Champ and I just left and fought a guy and Nurse Joy gave me this license. I don't know if it's. I don't know if I'm. Is it legal?" I manage to get out. My eyes feel hot and wet, so I reach out for Champ. He jumps into my lap and I stroke his fur until I'm breathing better.

I sit there with my eyes cast down and every second spiking like I'm on fire. I wonder if Stel will call the police now.

"Perfectly legal," Stel says. She's lost the mic again. She's looking hard at my eyes. "Any Unova citizen between the ages of ten and twenty is eligible for a trainer's license. Older than that, you've got to declare your profession as a pokemon trainer, and it gets a little more complicated. But yes—you're doing nothing wrong."

That's—that's so good. It's so good I almost don't believe it. But Stel works for the Unova Daily, and the Unova Daily knows all sorts of things. So she probably knows things too.

I look around to make sure I'm still sitting, because I feel light enough to float on up, up, up like a jigglypuff.

Stel's still talking. "We amended the IRPL Trainer Declaration about forty years ago, making prohibitions to pokemon training based on money, background or choice of starter illegal." She quirks an eyebrow at me. "Shouldn't you have learned about that in school?"

My face burns.

"Oh," Stel says. Her voice is so kind. "Well, I bet you had more important things than school to do."

I peek up.

"How about I fill you in then—the brief and unglamorous history of the pokemon trainer?"

I nod quickly, putting my hands together on my lap like I'm back in school. Somehow this stuff never seemed important back at home, but now things matter and I want to know them.

"Once upon a time, a long time ago, et cetera, only knights were allowed to battle with pokemon. Knights were dubbed by the monarch, supposedly for skill in battle, but it was a Mr. Mime's game because only the children of knights were allowed to train.

"Fast forward to the founding of the inter-regional pokemon league. Everyone agreed that the knight model wasn't working, but what replaced it wasn't much better. Would-be trainers had to pay a licensing fee, and could only train if their parents had trained, the idea being that a history of training proved responsibility.

"Restrictions were slowly lifted, but a new idea started taking hold—the appropriate starter. Cross-region research selected official starters for each region. For us, snivy, oshawott, and tepig. Obviously there were only so many of these to go around, and the new race became to get a starter. Technically no one was forbidden. Practically, the sheer money and time it took to obtain a starter left in only the rich and the leisured. Or the well-connected.

"The league quickly filed an exception, namely that trainer parents could bequeath a starter to their child. Licenses were still being given out on a fairly limited basis, when a new wave of studies demonstrated fairly conclusively that those with parents as trainers weren't any more likely to treat their pokemon well. That was the final nail in the coffin for the exclusive trainer license." She paused. "I know that's a lot to take in," she said. "And that's just the short version."

"I've heard about the knights," I tell her. They were in a story-book Mom had read me.

Stel nods. "You know," she says, "the league likes to brag about how far we've come, but I've been poking around and the numbers aren't good. Most trainers still have parents who are trainers. True, numbers of first-generation trainers are way up, but there's a sharp difference between the ones who get a license and the ones who manage to enter the league. I mean, we talk a good game about opportunity and pokemon training as the great equalizer, but patterns like these are the proverbial caterpie in the apple. The playing field is technically level, but the results are skewed."

She pauses. "But here I am, talking and talking, when what I want is to hear from you. I can promise you that you've done nothing illegal in starting your journey with a wild pokemon. As long as your rattata is registered with Nurse Joy, he's just as valid a starter as an oshawott or snivy. Now, what made you decide to become a pokemon trainer? Is anyone in your family a trainer?"

"No," I tell her. "But I've always known about trainers. And when I met Champ, and we were so strong together, I thought that maybe we could do it." I bite my lip. I want to tell Stel the truth but I don't want her to think less of me. "And trainersmakelotsofmoney," I say quickly.

Stel smiles. "Well, some do," she says. "Though most trainers quickly spend their way through their battle riches in upkeep. And battles are only very profitable at the highest levels, where loss is just as likely as victory. Training your way to wealth is more the Unovan Dream than the reality."

"We've been doing okay," I say. I exchange a look with Champ. "What we've been doing," I begin slowly, "is when we get money from winning a battle, you know, I send it back home and then we battle again, and so even when we lose we don't lose it." As I speak I hunch my head lower and lower so that Stel can't see my eyes and I can't see hers.

"That's an impressive level of fiscal responsibility," Stel says. Her voice doesn't sound mad, but I don't understand half the words she said.

"Is that wrong?" I ask her finally, still not looking up.

"There are no laws mandating a trainer begin a battle with a certain amount of money," Stel says. "That would be absurd, not to mention discriminatory. There is an implicit assumption underlying our current system that money is not a problem. That assumption is in many ways problematic, but in your case, no one can make the argument that what you're doing is wrong."

I think about that for a bit. Stel is real quiet and the only sound is Champ nibbling at his food.

"It feels like it's wrong," I say finally. "But. It's not."

"It's not," Stel says.

I look up at her. "I feel like a cheat all the time, and I don't know how to stop."

"I would not," Stel says sharply, and then softens her tone as I startle, "characterize you as a cheat."

"Ta-ratta!" Champ pipes up.

I swallow. Champ doesn't think so and Stel doesn't think so and they're both smarter than me so that means I'm not.

Lena the Not-Cheat.

Lena the Trainer.

I like how that sounds in my head.

Chapter Eleven
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    "If you still want to hear how Champ and I met, I can try and tell it to you better.

When we first met I was in the sewers.

Um. Your face looks kind of icked out. The sewers really aren't so bad. They're a bit smelly, but not if you hold your nose, and after a while you can't smell anything. And it's clean down there, mostly. Cleaner than the streets, sometime. And no one bothers you there.

So I was looking for things people drop. People drop all kinds of things. I saw this glint and I got really excited cause I thought it was a pokeball or maybe a gold nugget! When I was little I always thought I'd find a nugget in the sewers and then we'd be rich. But that was when I was little.

Anyway, it turned out to just be some stinking old iron. I was kind of upset when I saw that. I sat down and I—well, I cried a bit. I'm not a crybaby though! Just, a few days ago Dad had hurt his back and now he couldn't work for the whole week and maybe longer, and Mom had this look she has when she's really worried but not trying to tell me. I always know, though, because she stops listening and starts staring into space and thinking a lot. I guess that was why I was feeling so sad then.

Suddenly, there was this tickly feeling on my leg. I looked up and there was this rattata, nudging me. He said something— I don't know what, cause I wasn't so good at understanding Champ back then. What did you say to me, Champ?

Oh. Champ asked me why I was sad when it was such a nice warm day.

It was a nice day. I forgot that. Castelia is nicest in Spring, when the cold goes away and it doesn’t hurt your face to be outside.

Well, I said hi to Champ and when he didn't run away I started to pet his fur. He sort of backed away then, and I felt bad, cause I don't like it when people start messing with my hair either. So I said sorry, and Champ came back and we stayed there awhile. I started feeling better.

The next day I brought some food with me from home. Mom works at a kitchen and sometimes she brings us back leftovers. She brought these really yummy puff desserts that night, so I took one with me to the sewer. I came back to the same place, but no one was there.

I sat for a bit and then I heard a sound, so I looked and there was Champ! Well, I didn't call him Champ then. I gave Champ the puff thing, and he was so happy. I thought he deserved it, because he made me feel better last night. While Champ was eating, I started poking around for items again. When I looked up, I saw Champ was watching me.

Suddenly he ran away, which made me feel sad cause I thought we were starting to be friends. But he came back soon, with something in his mouth. It was just a used old repel and those aren't worth anything, but I was so surprised. Because he hadn't had to go looking for me, but he did. After that, I kept visiting Champ, and we'd look for items together and share food. I got better at knowing what he was saying and he started following me up out of the sewer.

People thought it was funny at first, that I had this sewer rattata following me around. But Champ was so strong and brave that everyone liked him.

I suppose that's it. Champ and I were friends first. The trainer thing came later. Um. And, if I hadn't met Champ, I don't think I'd be here right now.

I guess that's our story. I don't think it's a very good one, but you said you wanted to know."

After we finish talking, Stel thanks me and rushes off, muttering under her breath about deadlines. I stay in the cafe for a while, Champ a warm weight on my lap. My plate is empty and so is my glass. Normally I'd feel bad to be sitting here in this cafe with nothing on my plate. I'd feel all these eyes on my back, asking why I'm sitting where someone else could be sitting, when I'm all done with my food.

But I feel okay. The chair is comfy and my stommy is full from all the yummy things we've been eating. Relief cuddles me close like my blue fleece, when it's soft and fluffy from being washed.

"I'm a trainer," I tell Champ. "Not a fake. If anyone's a fake . . ." I trail off, thinking about it. "If anyone's a fake it's the people who don't really care," I say finally.

"Rat-tat-a," Champ agrees. "Ratta-tatta, rat-rat-a-ratta." He hops off my lap and shakes his tail back and forth.

"You're right," I say. "It's stupid to be sitting here and smiling when we could be training. Cause I'm a trainer, and you—" I bend down and tickle him under his chin "—you're my Champ."

I think again about the first time I met Champ, and Champ now, staring at me with his bright eyes. I used to be able to feel his bones when I petted him, but now I only feel his muscle. His teeth were always sharp, but now he can bite through stone.

"Tatta?" Champ asks.

"Just thinking about how much has changed, I guess. Yeah, I'm being silly. Let's go."

"Sucker punch!" I shout. The last trainer I beat told me that was what real trainers called Champ's sneak move. Well, I'm a real trainer. It feels weird to say, but Champ and I are getting used to it.

Champ hits it close and while the pansage is still recovering Champ goes in for a bite.

This time the pansage doesn't get up. Champ makes a happy noise and starts to come back over to me. Midway through, his whole body goes white and shiny. I look back at the pansage, thinking it's some attack, but it's not, and Champ is glowing. I get down on the grass beside him.

"Champ?" I say urgently. "Are you okay?"

"Hey, congrats," the trainer says.

I risk a look up from Champ. "What?"

He gives me a weird look. "Your pokemon's evolving!"

Oh. Oh.

Slowly the light goes away, and Champ is there, but he's not Champ. His fur's not purple anymore: it's a light brown, like dirty playground sand.

"Raticate!' he shouts. I don't know what he's saying. The words are all wrong. They're not the same.

"Here's your poke," the other trainer says. I startle, 'cause I forgot he was there. "Oh. Thanks." I shove it into my pocket and go back to looking at Champ.

After a bit I stand up and start to walk away. I'm not really sure where I'm going. I almost trip over a tree root and that's when I notice that I'm blinking back tears.

There's a bench near the back of the training area, hidden behind a tree. There's no one there, which is good because I don't think I could look at anyone right now. I sit down.

"Cate-a?" Champ inches closer. He sounds concerned, I think.

"You look different," I say. Finally.

"Ratti-cate-ta," Champ says, looking at me. His whiskers are up, hopeful.

"I don't know what you're saying. You sound different now," I say. My voice is thin and wet.

"Ratti-cate-ta." Champ nips at my pants, the way he did when we first met.

"Is that—is that how you say my name now?"

"Cate-cate!" he says, jumping up beside me on the bench.

"Oh." I reach out a hand and start to pet Champ's fur. He gives a low little rumble and curls up against me. Under his skin, I can feel his muscles, stronger than before.

The time sort of drifts again, until my face feels dry.

"It's been so long since we met each other," I say, thinking. "Almost a year. And, you know, so much has happened. And so, you're different now. But. I mean, I'm different too."

"Rat-cate!" Champ agrees.

"So—" I start to smile a bit, like the sun's come peaking out. "So that's okay then. Since we're both different. And. Stronger, I think."

I like that word: stronger. It seems to curl up inside me, like a plant that can tear a building down with its growth.

I close my eyes, and stroke Champ's fur. It's thicker, longer, and coarser now. But the happy purr he gives—if it isn't the same, it's close enough that the difference doesn't matter.

Chapter Twelve
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    I'm standing outside the gym again, except this time I feel different. Champ is so good now, so strong and fast. A few days ago we beat three Ones in a row and I felt like I'd learned how to fly. Champ and I stayed up all through last night talking it over and we feel ready.

Well. My stommy is rolling like I'm going to throw up and my mouth feels so dry that I keep swallowing, so maybe I don't feel ready. But I feel ready to try.

It's early, so there's not much of a crowd. It's a different woman, but her question is the same. "Are you here for a gym challenge?"

"Yes," I say and my voice hardly shakes at all. Just for a moment though, I think she's going to laugh and not let me in. But she just gestures me inside.

Inside, it's bright. The walls are made of metal and lights shine from every surface, from the floor to the ceiling.

"Name?"

I startle. I hadn't seen the man standing behind a big computer.

"Lena. Castel."

"Trainer ID, please"

I hand it to him. He puts it on the same square thing that Nurse Joy has, and a moment later my picture appears on his screen.

"Please wait in the reception room for your name to be called. If your name is called and you do not respond within five minutes you will be taken off the waiting list."

I go through the door he pointed at. It's a small room, with big lumpy couches and racks of fashion magazines. There are three other people there. Two of them look around my age, but the third woman is an adult. They all look up when I come in, but they look away just as quickly. I find the seat that's farthest away from everyone. Champ jumps up on my lap.

His weight makes me feel a bit better.

The woman gets called in the first few minutes. Twenty minutes later they call one of the boys who looks my age. I watch him go. He's got black hair and three pokeballs clipped on his belt. I only have Champ.

A half hour goes by and I start to wish I'd eaten something before leaving the center. I'd felt too nervous to eat, but now my stommy is gurgling out of hunger. On my lap, Champ hears it and he nudges me. At least Champ had something to eat. I gave him two of those big dough balls he loves, and promised him more if we won.

More people come in while I'm waiting. There's not much to do but watch them, 'cept I feel weird staring too long. Most of them are playing on their phones, or reading fashion magazines. I flip through the magazine a bit, staring at the pictures. The models' hair does things I never dreamed hair could do.

It's been an hour and six minutes—I know from the clock—when I hear my name. For a moment I think I've imagined it, but then I hear my name again, "Lena Castel?"

I shoot to my feet, remembering what the computer guy said.

"I'm here!" I call out. My voice is loud in that tiny room, and everyone looks at me. Oops.

But the guy gestures at me to follow so Champ and I set off after him.

"Pokemon must remain in their pokeballs inside the gym," he says.

"Oh. I'm sorry." I recall Champ. Now I feel really alone.

We walk down a hallway. The floor and walls and ceiling are all this strange black that almost sparkles. Finally he stops in front of a huge doorway at the end of the hallway. He presses a button and the door slides open.

Inside there's a huge room, bigger than a house. The wall and ceiling are made from that same sparkly black stuff.

Leader Elesa is standing on a platform at the other end of the room. It's really her and I almost can't breathe. I'm standing in the same room as Elesa. I forget to move for a few seconds, just staring at her.

"Challenger, you may come forward," Elesa calls out. I think I hear a smile in her voice. Is she smiling at me?

I stumble forward until I'm standing on the other platform, facing her across the room. The man who led me in moves so he's between us.

"The battle between Elesa, Leader of the Nimbasa Gym, and challenger Lena Castel, of Castelia City will be a three-on-three battle. The challenger may substitute pokemon, but the gym leader may not. The battle will end when one side is unable to continue. Let the match begin!"

I swallow. This is all too big and real and fast. I don't even have three pokemon. It's just me and Champ.

"Zebstrika," Elesa calls out. Her pokemon paws the ground and lets out a snort.

"Go, Champ," I say weakly. He's bigger than he was as a rattata, but even now he looks tiny next to Zebstrika. His eyes widen when he sees Zebstrika and he shows his teeth.

"Begin with spark," Elesa says.

I'm no newbie anymore. I've fought electric pokemon before.

"Get out of its way fast, Champ," I shout. Champ hardly needs me to say. He's already moving, so Zebstrika only hits the air. Zebstrika has to slow down so it doesn't hit a wall and that's when I see our chance. "Quick attack from behind," I tell Champ.

He hits Zebstrika hard.

"Don't stay close," I tell him. Electric pokemon are sneaky. They can get you even from behind.

"Quick attack as well," Elesa says. Her voice is calm, not quick and scared like mine. When Zebstrika turns around, I can see that Champ's attack didn't hurt it much. Zebstrika moves so fast. Even though I'm shouting "Dodge," and Champ is dodging, he's not fast enough. The impact throws him back a few feet.

"Champ, are you okay?"

"Catta-cat," Champ says loudly, getting to his feet. He sounds okay. He's okay.

Zebstrika and Champ are staring each other down. Then I know what to do.

"Use your scary face now!"

Champ glares at Zebstrika, his eyes fierce and his teeth shining. Zebstrika freezes in place. "Shiny bite!"

This time Zebstrika stumbles back. "And quick attack," I say, "before it can move!"

Champ runs forward, but Elesa says, "Flame charge," and all of a sudden Zebstrika is on fire. My eyes widen, ‘cause I saw this in the tapes and I should have thought—

"Champ, stop," I call out, but I'm too late. Champ hits the fire and falls back, his fur singed and dark.

"Are you okay, are you okay?" I yell.

"Ratta-cat," Champ says and I bite my lip. Dimly, I hear Elesa call out, "Spark."

"Can you dodge?" I ask Champ. "Or can you—use sucker punch!"

Champ's lying there, but just as Zebstrika comes close, its fur sparking, Champ's a shadow, and then he's behind Zebstrika, hitting it hard.

"Yes!" I shout.

But maybe Elesa's figured out our tricks. Because she doesn't seem worried at all. "Spark," she says again, and Zebstrika is close, is turning. Champ is right there and there's nothing I can say that's fast or smart enough. Zebstrika hits Champ, all electricity and power.

Champ smacks down onto the ground and doesn't move.

I dimly hear the referee saying, "Raticate is unable to battle. Zebstrika is the winner."

I rush to Champ's side and pick him. His eyes flutter open. "Cat-rat-ta,"

"No, you don't get to be sorry," I say. "I'm the one who's sorry."

Champ manages to twitch his whiskers at me.

"Ms. Castel?"

I realize the ref is talking to me. "Yes?"

"If you don't release your next pokemon you will be forfeiting the match."

I look at him funny. "Champ's my only pokemon," I say.

"Ah." He nods. "The challenger is out of pokemon," he announces. "Gym Leader Elesa is the winner."

"You fought well," Elesa calls down to me. "Your raticate was very fast."

I should feel so rotten, but hearing her words warm me up inside. We lost―but we lost to Leader Elesa. And somehow that feels better than any battle we've won.

"How do you feel, Champ?" I whisper, and I can see it―the same answering pride is in his eyes.

Chapter Thirteen
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    "Lena! Er, your name is Lena, right?"

I turn around. It's a girl I battled a few weeks ago. Sara, I think. She's waving to me. "Yeah," I say.

"Are you up for another battle?" she asks, coming closer.

"Yeah," I say, after I've thought a second.

I notice the way Sara pushes back her bangs, like she's impatient to begin all the time. She has nice hair―so straight and glossy black like a magazine cover.

I send out Champ in a hasty click. Sara smiles. "Hey, your rattata evolved!"

I blink. "You remembered Champ?"

"Is Champ his name?"

I nod, still surprised.

She shrugs. "Champ was a bit bigger than most of the rattata I've seen. Yeah, I remembered him."

"That's ‘cause he was a city rattata," I say. "They're tough."

"I bet." She looks at the pokeball in her hand. "I sometimes wonder if Haya would be a bit tougher if she'd been a wild pokemon to start."

"I thought she was pretty tough," I say.

"You remembered us?" Sara asks, smiling some more.

"Yeah," I say quickly and find I’m smiling too.

"You know what," she says, pushing back her hair. "Do you want to battle later? Maybe we could get some icecream now. You know, and talk."

"Sure," I say. "Champ?"

"Cate," he agrees.

It's strange, talking to Sara. I haven't really talked with other trainers before. There was Walter, I guess, but he doesn't count. Sara's a real trainer, smart and strong and pretty. My tongue's some big caterpie I keep tripping over, but when I tell her about Waylon's big backpack and what I've learned about etiquette, she laughs.

I really like it when she laughs.

Sara has two badges already. I'm not surprised. I feel stupid to tell her I just have Champ, and then stupid for feeling stupid, when she tells me she just has Haya too.

"Have you not found any pokemon you want to catch?" she asks me. She sounds serious, like Sammy when I'm telling her a secret.

I bite my lip. "I don't know. It's just that Champ and I are partners, you know? We decided to do this together, and having another pokemon would be . . . weird," I say finally, even though the word is wrong.

Sara frowns. "I'm gonna be honest and say I don't totally get that, but I think it's kind of cool. Like something from a movie."

Her saying that makes me feel so good, like the sun warming me up all over. "Thanks," I say.

"Are you challenging gyms?" she asks me.

I nod slowly. "Yeah," I admit. "Except, I lost real bad to Elesa."

"Hey, Elesa's really strong. I lost to her too," Sara says.

I blink. "Really?"

"Yeah. Really badly. My badges are from Cress and Burgh. I will beat her, though. We just need to train some more. Uh, and get a ground type."

She sounds so sure. I wish I could feel that way.

"Maybe you should try challenging Lenora," Sara says. "You know her? She's a normal type trainer. I just thought, since raticates are normal types, maybe she'd give you a one on one battle, or something."

"Can gym leaders do that? I thought there were rules."

"Well, I guess. But I think as long as the match is official you get a badge."

Walter and Sara and the other trainers just know things sometimes. I wonder if I'd have learned them if I'd stayed in school past grade three. I grab my map from my backpack and spread it out on my lap. "Where does Lenora live?"

"There." Sara points. "Nacrene City."

"Oh." I know about Nacrene a little, cause it's one of the places close to Castelia. Suddenly my heart starts beating really fast. To go to Nacrene we'd pass through Castelia, and I could see Mom and Dad and Sammy!

"It's pretty close to here, I think," Sara says. "You just have to go through this big city first."

"Um, I know," I say quietly. "Um, I'm from Castelia."

Sara's eyes widen. "Really? That's so cool. I've always wondered what it must be like to grow up in a real city like that. You can show me around!"

I look up at her. "Are you going to Castelia too?"

Sara goes a bit pink. "Well, I still have to challenge Lenora, so I thought—but I mean, we don't need to travel together, I just thought if we were going the same way . . ."

"But aren't you going with your friends?"

She frowns. "The people I was hanging out with? They're from the same town I started out from so we've been sticking together, but it's not like we have to."

"I'd really like to travel with you," I say in a rush. "Only I'd have to ask Champ."

"Champ? Oh. Oh, sure."

I lean down to Champ and whisper, "what do you think?"

"Rat-cat-ratti-cate-ta-cat," he says.

I blush. "Whatever, Champ, but what do you want?"

"Catta!" he says.

"If you're sure . . ."

"Catta."

"Champ's okay with it," I tell Sara. "Um, so when do you want to go?"

"How about tomorrow morning, around eight? Leaves us time for breakfast. If you give me your nav number we can meet up at the route exit."

"Idon'thave a nav," I say fast.

"Okay," Sara says. "Then how about eight, in the pokemon center lobby?"

"That sounds good," I say.

Sara finishes her cone and grabs her backpack. "I've got to get a few things now, so I'll see you then, yeah?"

"Yeah," I say, and watch her go and then sit staring at the table for a long time. "Did I sound like a dumbhead?" I ask Champ.

"Rat-rat!" he says.

"Well, I think I sounded like a dumbhead."

Champ flicks his tail in answer.

Sara meets me at 8:10 in the lobby.

"Sorry," she says. My nav alarm didn't go off, and—hope I didn't keep you waiting."

I don't say that I've been waiting since 7:30, and that I spent the whole night staring at the ceiling and hugging Champ.

"Don't worry, we were eating breakfast," I say, which isn't really a lie.

"Right." Sara pulls her hair back into a ponytail in one quick movement. She looks pretty with a ponytail. She also looks pretty without one.

We walk out of the pokemon center quietly.

"So," Sara says. "I heard Castelia is, like, this huge city, with buildings so high that they sometimes hide the sun."

"I guess," I say, shrugging a little. Inside I feel kind of proud. I guess I've never thought it meant much, being from Castelia. "Where are you from?" I ask Sara, suddenly curious.

"Uh." Sara bites her lip. "I'm from Johto, actually. I only moved here last year."

I don't think I've met anyone who isn't from Unova before.

"That's cool," I say. "I don't know much about Johto. Is it like Unova?"

"There's more forests," Sara says. "And the towns are smaller. There really aren't big cities there, except maybe Goldenrod. It's a bit hard for me, honestly. Back home I knew everyone in town—everyone and their grandmother. But you can't do that in a big city, can you?"

"I don't know hardly anyone back home," I tell her. "Just my family, and Sammy, who's my best friend, and some of the other kids who hang around the streets."

"It sounds a bit lonely," Sara says.

I bite my lip as I think about that. "Maybe. But not really. Because even if I didn't know anyone else, I'd still have Mom and Dad. And Champ," I add, reaching down to ruffle his fur as we walk.

Sara looks away. She's quiet for a long time, and I can tell I've said something wrong, even though I don't know what.

"H-how did you decide to move?" I finally say.

That's also wrong. Sara ducks her head lower. I think she's not going to say anything, so it surprises me when she suddenly spits out, "I didn't."

Her voice is all spiky, and when I look over at her I can see that her eyes are too glimmery, like she's about to cry. When she starts talking again her words come out in quick sharp bursts. "My mom said —we're going to Unova—it's going to be an adventure—and I said—'I'm going to be a trainer'— that's my adventure. Mom said—sometimes we have to be brave—and I—I don't want to be brave, I want to be home. And then mom says if I really feel that way I can stay home with Dad but she and Dad aren't staying together because—" Sara stops talking. She squeezes her eyes shut. When she opens them again her voice is calmer. "Sorry for going on and on like that," she says. "It's just that, everything that I've ever wanted is happening—I'm a trainer, me and Haya are finally starting our journey together. But it's all wrong, too."

There's nothing I want more in that moment than to make Sara feel better. "I think you're really brave," I tell her. "And, if you hadn't moved here I wouldn't have met you, and I'm really glad I met you, because you're nice and strong and—brave."

"Thanks, Lena," Sara says after a long moment. She looks at me like she wants to say something else, but she ducks her head instead and says again, "Thanks."

We reach the city limits around noon. My stomach is already grumbling, and I can't wait to be home. Sara's staring at the outlines of the buildings with wide eyes.

"I knew they'd be big," she says, "but not that big."

Suddenly I'm less excited about lunch. 'I could show you around a bit," I say. "I bet you've never had a Castelia Cone."

"A Castelia Cone?" Sara grins. "That sounds amazing."

I've only had a Castelia Cone once or twice as a special treat for my birthday. It's a silly idea, to buy one now, on a normal day like this, but I'm feeling silly.

Suddenly reckless, I grab Sara's hand and lead her along the streets. I'm about to duck into the back-allies, like I usually do, but it hits me that I don't really have to. Sara's a proper trainer, and next to her no one is going to think I'm out of place on the main streets.

We walk slowly down Mode Street. Sara stares at the shop-fronts with big eyes. I'm staring a bit too, only I pretend that I'm not.

Like always, the line for Castelia Cones stretches down the block. As we wait, I tell Sara all about the different things people do in Castelia. When we reach the front of the line, I say, "Two Castelia Cones, please," in a voice that hardly shakes at all. I think it's because I have Sara standing next to me. I sure don't want to look fraidy in front of her!

The icecream is even better than I imagined, so cold and sweet. I think of the money I just spent to buy it. Worth it, I decide. Sara takes another bite and lets out a short happy laugh.

Definitely worth it.

It's almost 3:00 by the time we reach my house. It startles me, how small and gritty it looks after the shops of Mode Street and the gleaming pokemon center in Lumiose City. I slow down, suddenly wishing I had brought Sara to the pokecenter instead. She's going to realize I'm—

"Lena?" Sara's saying something. "Are you okay." She's blinking at me with a worried look on her face.

"I'm fine—" I say, only the last word comes out wrong. It comes out like a sob.

I stand there looking at the ground. My stommy is hurting from eating only icecream and the sweetness of the Castelia Cone in my mouth makes me feel sick. I spent 100 poke on it—almost half of what I'd get from a day of battling. I spent all that poke all at once like I was some kind of normal trainer, flinging around poke like it doesn't matter, but it does. Mom and Dad could have used that poke.

I'm so selfish. I'm such a faker. Spending poke to seem cool so Sara likes me. Acting like I go down to Mode Street every day.

I was looking forward to being home so much and now the thought of my house makes me feel sick!

This hot sour feeling pounds against my chest like I'm going to burst with it. I don't want to open my mouth because if I do it's all going to come out and Sara will think I'm a wimp and a whiner.

The stupidest thing tumbles out of my mouth instead. "This is the third time I've ever had a Castelia Cone. In my life."

I look at my feet. My shoes are still sandy from the desert— sandy, and beat-up, and ugly.

A long moment passes.

"Hey. Um." I can hear Sara swallow. "Can I tell you something kind of embarrassing? After I came here, I didn't want to tell anyone about my parents. Everyone else has these perfect families and mine is—not, and that made me feel small, I guess, and like I didn't fit in right. You're the first person I talked to about it and you listened to me and you didn't—it didn't matter to you at all. So this—I know you don't have a lot of money. That—that doesn't matter at all to me, okay? I think you're really cool. That blue fleece you always have tied around your waist—"

"It's cause it's my only jacket," I say in a watery voice.

"Yeah well, I bet you picked it out. Well, didn't you?" Sara demands.

I nod.

Sara jabs out a triumphant figure. "So you have good taste. But. I mean. I'm not very good at making a point. I like hanging out with you. And—you said you thought I was brave. I don't really think so. But you—you're definitely brave."

Hearing that makes me feel warm inside and I don't feel so much like I'm going to throw up anymore.

"Sorry for standing here like an idiot," I tell Sara.

"Don't be sorry. Only I'm kind of hungry, so . . ."

On cue, my stomach lets out a rumble. Me too, I guess.

"Um." I take a deep breath and walk forward a few steps. I turn back to face Sara. "Um. This is my home. Please come in."

Chapter Fourteen
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    My house is quiet and slightly cold. I open my mouth to shout that I'm home—then I remember that it's only three. Mom and Dad don't usually get back from work before night-time.

I find some going-stale bread in the breadbox and make peanut butter sandwiches for Sara and me. They don't taste very good, not like the hot food in the poke center, and I start to feel bad again until Sara pokes me in the side.

Champ's happy to be back. He sniffs all around the house, and then starts to snooze loudly on my bed. Sara's telling me all about how she won her first badge when I hear the door. Champ opens his eyes and we all skitter over. It's Mom, stuck in the door-way—she has more bags than she has hands.

When she sees me her face splits into this big smile and she puts all the bags down.

"Sweetling!" she says, and I run right into her arms, not caring that I must look like a baby. Mom's warm and she smells like grease and spices, just like she always does. When we're finished hugging I take a step back and look at her face. It's funny how she's so familiar but also so strange, like a tree I've passed a hundred times before, but only just now stopped to look at now. Mom's looking back at me too, and I suddenly wonder how I must look to her. Just the same? Or do I look different, tougher?

Or am I also like a tree, and she's seeing how much I've grown?

"You normally aren't home so early," I say finally. I don't know why I sound like I'm accusing her of something.

"I got permission to take off early," Mom says. "Sammy told us that you were coming back today. So of course I have to make you a big feast!"

So that's what all the bags are for. I start to grin kind of stupidly.

"Lena, why don't you introduce your friend," Mom says.

Sara! I turn around with big eyes, realizing that for a few moments I'd forgot she was there.

"Mom, this is Sara," I say. "She's super strong and smart and she moved here all the way from Johto. And Sara, this is Mom. Um."

Mom is Mom. Trying to explain her would be impossible.

"Nice to meet you," Mom says cheerfully. "Now girls, I could use a bit of help with these bags."

Once we've carried everything into the kitchen, Mom sets us to work peeling and chopping. At first the kitchen is quiet. But then Mom starts to ask me questions, and before I know it, I'm telling her everything that's happened to me. I explain to Mom about noobs and Ones, and the gym with its metal walls and how Elesa said we fought well. Champ keeps chiming in, talking over me, and somewhere in the middle I just start laughing.

Home is all around me like a giant blanket. It feels good just to sit on a chair and watch as Mom sautes the vegetables and Sara plays the tail game with Champ.

It's getting dark outside when the door opens again. I race to the door and see Dad, and next to Dad, it's Sammy! She's so much taller, and she's cut her hair so short it doesn't even fall past her ears.

"Lena-girl!" Sammy shouts and pulls me into a Sammy-hug, so tight it's hard to breath.

"Choking," I gasp out. When she lets me go I put my hands on my throat and flop dramatically to the floor.

"I've killed her," Sammy says mournfully to the world at large. "I knew it would happen someday." She notices Sara and wiggles a hand. "Hi, I'm Sammy!"

"I'm Sara," Sara says cautiously, sticking her hand out like a shield.

Sammy notices and laughs. "Don't worry, I only attack Lena."

Sara smiles a little nervously and shakes Sammy's hand.

"Um, you're a nurse at the pokecenter, right?" she says.

"A nurse!" Sammy turns to me with her mouth open. "Lena-girl, you been talking me up here or something?"

I get up and shake my head. "I never said—"

"I just assumed," Sara says quickly. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry. You're as bad as Lena here. A pokemon nurse! That's a cute idea. Nah, I'm on the clean-up staff. Night duty. Lots of bedpans to scrub. I was going to get Lena a job once she got old enough that we could pass her off for thirteen, but she beat me to the punch with this trainer gig. Lena's always been clever. Eh?"

Sammy tries to muss up my hair. This is her only bad habit.

I'm grinning again and probably look totally stupid. I can't seem to stop, though. Sammy is still Sammy and home is still home. I fit here—I make sense here, not like in the pokecenter, where I'm always waiting for someone to ask me what I'm doing and why I'm there.

During dinner we don't talk so much. We're too busy enjoying Mom's food, which is better than the pokecenter food, because Mom made it.

Sammy's got her night-shift, so she takes her dessert to go. As we're finishing up Mom's pie, there's a loud beeping sound.

"Sorry, that's my nav," Sara says. She picks it up and her eyes go wide. "Um, sorry, I have to answer this. It's from my father." She darts out of the room.

When Sara leaves, I notice Mom and Dad look at each other and then at me.

"Lena," Mom says, "I think now is a good time to tell you some news we have about your dad’s job."

About Dad's job? My stomach suddenly feels like worms are crawling in it. If Dad couldn't work anymore, he wouldn't have come home so late, right?

My heart starts to pound really quickly.

"You know that I've been having trouble with my back," Dad says.

"I know," I say quickly. "Did something happen? Are you okay?"

"Don't worry, honey," Mom says, smiling. "This isn't bad news—it's the opposite! A few weeks ago, the manager of Dad’s crew announced his retirement. The crew put their heads together and, long story short, your Dad's name kept coming up. Long story short, your dad got the job! It's really the best we could hope for: now Dad can keep working without risking his back."

I stare at Mom and Dad for a few seconds, wondering if it's some kind of joke. But Mom is still smiling, and Dad is smiling his quieter smile, the one that stays in his eyes.

My mouth feels all dry so I swallow. "Really? That's—that's so good."

Mom and Dad nod at each other again.

"There's something else we wanted to talk to you about, Lena. We were wondering if you planned to keep traveling?"

"I want to," I say quickly. "But if I shouldn't for some reason—"

Mom shakes her head. "That's not what I meant, honey. It's just that you've been sending us money from your battles, and it's been a big help. But with my job, and Dad's promotion—we're doing just fine right now, and I don't want you to be out there worrying about us. If you're serious about being a pokemon trainer, it takes money, and not spending that money can be dangerous. I don't want you not getting Champ medicine when he's hurt because you're saving it for us."

I look down at Champ with wide eyes and say loudly, "I won't do anything that would hurt Champ."

"I know, honey," Mom says gently. "But when those kinds of choices come up, we need you to put yourself and Champ first. That's your responsibility, if you want to be a pokemon trainer."

She has a serious look on her face, and I remember suddenly that Mom had friends who were pokemon trainers when she was younger and didn't live in Castelia. She knows what she's talking about.

"I understand," I say quietly.

"We weren't sure what was going to happen when you said you wanted to go off and be a pokemon trainer," Mom said. "But you've made us proud."

That makes me lift my head up, feeling all warm inside.

Sara hasn't come back in yet. I wonder suddenly if she heard us talking and decided to give us some time alone.

I'm just bending back down to my pie when Dad says my name. I pause, and look up at him.

"You like this?" Dad asks. "This—training? It's what you want to do?"

That makes me pause. That makes me really stop and think. About long afternoon drilling moves with Champ. About the bright heat of a pokemon battle, and the satisfaction that curls in my chest when we win.

"I think I love it," I say slowly. "Dad, it's—it really is what I want."

Dad nods, and he and Mom do that parent thing where they smile at each other. I pull Champ into my lap and keep thinking hard.

Because at home I fit in just right, like a piece of wood that's been carved to go between the other pieces. But I don't want to be that piece of wood. That wood is dead.

It's the trees that grow.

Chapter Fifteen
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Sara and me enter the Nacrene city gym together. It's not like Elesa's gym at all—it's much smaller, and no one's asking questions at the door. Inside there's a big room of books, more books than I've ever seen together before. The room smells like old paper. I see a desk, but no one's behind it.

"Hello?" Sara calls out. She's braver than me.

There's no response at first, and then a guy comes hopping out from between some bookshelves. He’s wearing a purple vest and funny-looking bow-tie.

"Ah, my apologies," he says. "I didn't notice your ingress. Are you here to browse, or did you have a specific question?"

Sara and I look at each other.

"We're here for a gym battle," I say slowly, wondering if we got the wrong place.

"Ah," he says again, in a flatter voice. "Pokeballs. Forgive me, I didn't notice. You'll want to walk straight ahead, it's through the door at the end of the reading room." Maybe he sees how we’re confused because he says, "Lenora's gym also serves as a library for the town. I'm not actually affiliated with the battling aspect of the gym—I'm merely a humble librarian. If you're interested in enjoying the stacks after your battle, feel free! Please do remember, though, that we have a strict no pokemon policy in the library itself," he adds, seeing Champ poke his head out from between my legs.

We tell him okay, and keep walking. In the back of the library we find an open door.

Sara and I exchange looks. Somehow it feels weird to talk aloud around all these books. She shrugs, and we go through the door together.

It opens onto a small battlefield. On the far end of the field, a woman is sitting on a tiny stool, her head bent into a book. A lillipup is curled up on her lap, snuffling gently.

"That must be Lenora," Sara whispers. "You can go first," she adds, giving me a little shove.

I take a few steps forward. "Hi," I say. My voice sounds especially small. "I'm Lena." My tongue feels twisty and I don't know what to say next. The woman looks up at us and smiles encouragingly.

I think of Sara at my side and suddenly I feel brave. "I want to have a one-on-one battle. A normal type battle. If that's—" I falter "—if that's okay."

Lenora stands and comes over to us.

"Do you have more than one pokemon?" she asks. Her voice is rich and deep.

"No," I whisper.

She looks at me some more. "Very well. If you'll take your place at the other end of the battlefield, we can commence—will your friend be staying to watch?"

"Um," I say, suddenly unsure. It sounds kind of scary, to have Sara watching me battle. What if I totally mess things up and look stupid? What will she think of me then?

"Or your friend can wait outside," Lenora says, watching my face.

I see Sara frown. Lenora moves over to her and says something quietly that I can't hear. Then Sara nods and tells me, "Good luck."

I watch her go, feeling alone. Which is silly, cause Champ's with me—it's no different than at Elesa's gym, really, except that at Elesa's gym no one was there to cheer me on. Sara is here for me, and I'm the one who told her to go.

"Do you have any other badges?" Lenora asks me.

I shake my head, embarrassed.

"Now don't go looking like that, child," Lenora says sternly, but there is a warm current underneath. "We all start somewhere."

I blink at that. I guess it makes sense, but it's hard to imagine someone like Lenora or Elesa ever being weak or scared.

"Even you?" I say without thinking.

Lenora laughs. "Me more than most, I should say."

I wonder what she means, but she doesn't say anything more.

I go to my side of the battlefield, and watch as she pulls at a bell-cord. After a few minutes a man comes out from the back, dressed in the uniform of the pokemon league. She says something to him quietly, and he nods.

"This will be a one-on-one battle," he announces, taking his place. "Is the challenger ready?"

I release Champ and nod. "Um, yeah, We're ready."

"I will be using Watchog," Lenora says, throwing out a pokeball.

Watchog has big teeth like Champ does, but its eyes are glinting and red, and it walks on two legs. Still, I bet it attacks with its teeth just like Champ. There's not going to be any wild electricity or sudden fires. I know how a pokemon like watchog will fight, and thinking that makes me less scared.

"Begin with a leer," Lenora says. The watchog narrows its eyes, which glow an entrancing red.

Champ shivers and stands still, transfixed. I can hardly look away, either.

"Now use crunch," Lenora says, so calmly it almost doesn’t sink in that she’s called for an attack.

"Dodge, Champ!" I say, too late. Champ's still shaky on his feet and can't move in time. "Bite while it's close," I shout.

"Sand attack," Lenora counters. The watchog kicks up dirt from the floor into Champ's face. He shakes his head furiously from side to side, trying to clear his eyes. "Now, attack with low kick," Lenora says.

"Quick attack," I shout. This time Champ's faster. He avoids the watchog's leg and barrels into it from the side. "Now bite again!"

"Detect," Lenora says. The watchog moves as if it knows exactly what Champ's going to do, twisting just out of reach of Champ's teeth.

Champ lands on his feet, breathing hard. I bite my lip, trying to think. Champ moves faster, but the watchog has all these sneaky moves to get out of the way. Maybe if we—

But Lenora doesn't give me time to think. "Retaliate," she commands.

The watchog bears down on us with a loud cry. Panic starts to take me over. I don't know what that attack means. All the proper trainer names go right out of my head.

"Side!" I shout frantically to Champ. He jumps to the side, narrowly avoiding the watchog. "Now sneak move!"

Lenora frowns, her mouth open as if she's going to give a command, but she says nothing—and Champ slams into the watchog hard.

"Now bright one!" I yell all in a jumble. Lenora stares at Champ, her brow furrowed, as his teeth start to glow. Suddenly her eyes go wide.

"Dodge it," she shouts, but this time she's the one who’s too late and her watchog is too slow. Champ's attack brings the watchog to the ground.

I'm about to call another move, but I notice how Champ is sitting, still and intent. He's watching the watchdog, so I do too.

The silence edges on. I'm breathing too fast from the battle, and I can see the sweat soaking Champ's fur.

"Watchog is unable to battle," the judge shouts, breaking my focus. "The challenger is the winner!"

I blink at the words because they make no sense and then Champ is in my arms and we are twirling and laughing. I flop back on the ground and Champ runs all over my belly. Then I notice Lenora's come over and I sit up all at once.

"Congratulations," she says, smiling. "Your strategy at the end is one I haven't seen before. None of my other challengers have found a way to make my encyclopedic knowledge into a weakness. It's my honor to award you with the Basic Badge."

I take the badge carefully, like it's a jewel or one of Mom's best dishes. I stare at it for a while, realizing I don’t have anywhere to put it, no fancy badge case like other trainers do. I never thought I’d need one.

Without thinking I'm saying the only thing running through my head. "I don't get it. You, you must have trained for years and years—and Champ and I have hardly trained for lots of months, so how could we beat you?" I glance at her face quickly to see if she thinks that was a rude thing to ask.

But Lenora smiles. "That's a smart question. The gym challenge functions on a modulated tier system. Do you know what that means?"

I shake my head. "No."

"Perhaps you've heard that some gyms are harder or easier than others."

I nod.

"The gym system is tiered, in that gyms are grouped into beginning, intermediate and advanced categories. I run a gym at the beginner level, while the Opelucid gym, for example, is at the advanced level. Among gyms of the same level however, there's still variation. To put it simply, I will use different pokemon depending on how many badges you have earned. This modulation based on challenger experience is what keeps the gyms a test of not just experience, but skill. It also makes the gym challenge easier logistically, since there is no specific order that challengers must follow."

I think through that a bit. "So you mean that when Sara battles here you'll fight with better pokemon because she has two badges already?"

"I'll use stronger pokemon, yes. Because Sara will be battling for her third badge, while you were battling for your first. We expect different levels of skill to win those different badges."

"That makes sense," I say slowly.

"I'm glad you think so," Lenora says, sounding sort of amused, and I wonder if she's laughing at me inside. But I don't think Lenora is mean.

"Thanks for explaining," I say, ducking my head.

"Child, there's nothing I love more than explanations," Lenora says, still amused. It hits me that it's herself she finds funny, not me, and I start to smile too.

We walk outside together. Sara is there, going over moves with Haya.

"Sara!" I shout, and I hold up my badge. She turns around and when she sees my badge she grins really wide. "Awesome!" she says. "I knew you'd win!"

I didn't even know that, I think. But that's wrong. She's not really saying she knew. She's saying that she believed I was tough enough to win.

"My turn, then," Sara says brightly. Then she frowns. "Or is two trainers in a row too much?"

Lenora chuckles. "I hope you aren't trying to be insulting, dearie."

Sara blushes. "Sorry. Okay, well." She glances over at me. "I'm fine with you watching. Um. If you want to, of course."

I do want to. Only—

Only, I feel strange. It's like my legs have forgotten that they're supposed to stand straight, and I feel sort of warm and cold at the same time.

"I want to," I say quickly. "Um, but Champ is sort of tired, and—"

"I didn't think about that," Sara says, her eyes widening. "Sorry, Champ. I'll, uh, see you at the pokemon center, then!" She smiles, and then nods, and then sort of blushes again.

When Sara and Lenora have gone inside, I collapse on the grass and take out Lenora's badge from my pocket.

"Tat-ta," Champ mutters.

"I know you're not that tired. Sorry I used you as an excuse. It's just that I feel weird."

I pull my knees up to my chest, thinking. The weird thing—even weirder than the weight of Lenora's badge in my hand—is that I don't feel any different than before.

I keep thinking this moment is going to come when I'll know I'm a real trainer. I'd close my eyes and then open them, and I'd just know, the way the other trainers do. I'd been so sure that winning a gym battle would be that moment. Only real trainers win gym badges. A fake trainer sure couldn't do anything like that.

I clench my fist tighter around Lenora's badge until the sides dig into my palm, feeling my eyes starting to burn. I blink furiously, trying to force back the stupid tears which keep trying to make my face wet.

"Maybe fakes win all the time," I say to myself. "Maybe—"

"Catta-ratta-cat!" Champ shouts suddenly. He pushes his face against mine, all cold nose and scratchy fur. I wrap my arms around him and bury my face in his side.

But Champ doesn't let me hold him. He wriggles out of my arms and starts to talk again, "Ratt-ratta cate-ratta rat-ta."

He's talking too fast and it's hard to understand. "Me and you," I repeat haltingly. "For a long time. We're not fake—"

I blink.

"I'm such a dumb-head, Champ," I say quietly. Because suddenly I understand, and it's so simple I don't know how it took me so long.

"I became a trainer when I started to train you," I say. "That's what you're saying. And, you're right." Slowly, I unclench my hand to look at the slim bright rectangle on my palm. "That's what trainer means. All the rest of it—that's just the etiquette."

Lenora's badge doesn't make me a real trainer. It can't. Not when I've been a real trainer this whole time.

I wipe my eyes. What am I doing staring at some stupid badge? It's not important. Sara's important. She's having her battle, right now, and I'm sitting around like a dumb-head instead of cheering her on.

I put the badge back in its case and stand up. Then Champ and I go back inside the gym, together.

End of Part One​

Interlude
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    I smell the city before I see it . . .

All cities look the same to me. There are the black streets, the silver trunks of buildings, and the wet, dark world underneath. But no other place smells like this one. I breathe in the familiar scent and feel my whiskers twitching in pleasure. Familiar is safe, and safe is—though it has been a long time since I have had to worry about safe or not safe. Now I am strong, and the others can smell the strong on me. The smell of strong is something to respect.

Next to me the girl who is mine, Lena, is skipping. From time to time she pulls out a small shining rectangle and holds it high to the sun. This is Lena's smell of strong. The other humans respect it.

Lena is quiet this morning. I think she is missing the other human, who stayed in the town when we left. I let Lena keep her silence; most times in life do not require speaking.

We reach Lena's home as the sun is beginning to set. Her parents welcome her back with nuzzles and she tells them excitedly about the victory we won together. Just thinking of it is enough to make my whiskers curl with satisfaction.

We eat our fill. Lena is tired from the long walk and falls asleep right away. At my place by her side, I curl into a ball, feeling drowsy. I am full and the bed is good and warm.

A sound jolts me awake. I listen intently—yes, a faint rustling is coming from the kitchen. The sound is not the sound of Lena, asleep at my side, or the sounds of her parents. It must be the sound of an intruder. Alert now, I pad my way to the kitchen.

Someone is on the counters. In the moonlight her gray fur is turned into silver. She has knocked open a cabinet and is scrabbling through it with her paws.

"Thief!" I shout, my cry sharp and cutting.

The thief stops abruptly. Her tail unwinds into the air, tense and straight.

I bare my teeth threateningly. She has sharp claws like the purrloin that would harass us when we chanced to go above-ground, but I'm strong now and don't need to fear her thin body or weak claws.

Anyway, she makes no move to attack. Her nose flares at my well-fed scent, the rich oil of my fur. I don't have patches in my coat, and hunger no longer makes my teeth break.

She drops to all fours and her body tenses—she is going to try and run.

Not on my watch . . .

There is loud, clumsy movement from behind me. The den must have been woken by my cry. Lena comes in first. She moves slowly, her body heavy with sleep. I feel anger course through me, that this intruder has disturbed Lena's sleep.

"What's going on, Champ?" Lena says.

Thief, I tell her, in simple words that I know she will understand. Stealing food. Bad one.

"A glameow," says another voice—Lena's mother. "A stray by the looks of it. Poor thing must be starving."

Yes, starving. The glameow's fur has grown out in irregular tuffs. She scents of hunger and desperation.

Lena steps forward and the glameow darts to the open window. They left it open to let in some air on this hot night. So that's how she slipped in, the thief!

"Wait!" Lena says. She opens the cold box where the food is stored and takes out some stew. Even cold, the thick savory scent fills the air, and my mouth fills with saliva. The glameow smells it too. She remains perched on the window-sill, her mouth hanging slightly open.

Lena takes a few slow steps forward. Does she mean to give food to a thief?

The glameow watches. Entranced by the scent of the food, she does not run.

"Here," Lena says, laying down the stew where the glameow was eating before. "You can have this, okay?"

The glameow stares.

"She said, it's yours," I growl. The glameow looks at me with wide eyes. Then, slowly, she walks over to the bowl of stew. She dips her head down and hastily starts to eat, jerking up warily every few seconds as if expecting a sudden attack. If she knew the girl who is mine, she would not fear that.

Lena watches the glameow eat with a strange expression. I decide she is very sad, though I am not sure why.

Her mother sighs. "Sweet of you, darling, but it'll come back every night now. You never just feed a stray once."

"Sorry," Lena says, still watching the glameow.

Her mother sighs again, gives her a quick hug, and heads back to bed. Lena does not. Instead, she sits on the floor and I hop into her lap. I do not like when she is sad like this.

"I wish I could feed every stray," she whispers suddenly, sounding choked.

"Then you would have no food," I tell her. Why did that thief come here? I think, angry that Lena is sad. Why did she not go looking in the dumpsters by the restaurants? That's where they toss out full meals. She is a stupid thief.

"Listen, thief," I rumble quietly, so that only the glameow can hear me. "Don't come back. There's not enough here to feed another mouth. You're taking the food out of her mouth—she's letting you, but I won't. Come back here and I'll tear you apart."

The glameow freezes. She looks up with her strange bright eyes. "I understand," she mews softly.

"What did you say, Champ?" Lena asks, frowning.

"I explained how the world works," I say. We are lucky, but only just. The glameow is not lucky. She shouldn't try to steal our luck.

I can tell that Lena doesn't quite understand what I said. She nods, and rubs my back in a familiar, comforting motion.

The next night Lena sits up for a while, waiting for the glameow to come back, but eventually she slips into sleep. I don't. I wait, hoping I do not need to make good on my promise, but the night passes and the glameow does not return.

Good, I think, though something tugs at my chest even as I think it.

A few nights later, I am again awakened by a sound. The thief! Warm anger fills my blood. I slip into the kitchen, and am not surprised to see the glameow, bent over the counter.

"I told you—" I growl quietly. I do not want to wake up Lena this time.

The glameow starts, and the object in her mouth falls onto the counter. It's a paper bag, with a delicious scent emanating from it.

"I'm not here to steal," the glameow says frantically. "Here." She pushes the bag towards me with a paw. "Here, it's for her. It's thank you."

Her chin is crusty with saliva. She takes in deep breaths of the scent, as if that's enough to fill her stomach. She's so hungry.

I remember hungry. I remember how hungry used to tear apart my stomach every night.

"It's thank you," the glameow repeats. "I'll go now. I won't come back."

Turning away from the food, she bends her legs to jump up to the window.

"Wait," I say roughly.

She looks back at me with eyes that are dull and clouded by hunger. I jump up onto the counter and approach her slowly.

"Your coat is dirty," I say. "Don't you have anyone to groom it?"

"I'm alone here," she tells me simply. "My littermates didn't survive the cold."

I remember the cold. I remember huddling with my siblings and cousins in a frantic clump. When it was cold, the fighting ceased. We lay against each other blindly, seeking warmth.

"I was sleeping next to my sister," the glameow says. She sounds dazed, as if she has forgotten I am here. "I woke up because she was so cold next to me. I started to lick her, but she was cold all through. And she didn't say anything after that . . ."

Warmth, I think. Food is for the lucky ones, but we should all have warmth . . .

"Lie down," I tell her. She complies without a word. She's tired; it's probably a relief to sink down onto the counter.

I begin to groom her.

Her fur is thin and stiff. When I lick too hard, I nearly choke on a mouthful of hair.

"What are you doing?" she says sleepily. I don't answer.

Her fur tastes like oil and grime. There's so little of it.

At some point, she falls asleep. Her back begins to rise and fall in irregular, jerky motions. When I finish, it has been a long time. I am tired too, and though her fur is lank and coarse, she is still warm to the touch . . .

I wake up with a start. The sun hasn't come up yet; the sky outside is a dark gray. Lena's mother moves quietly through the kitchen, putting a pan on the stove, taking various dishes out of the cabinets. She fills a bowl with milk and sets it down a few inches from me. I realize that the glameow is still curled up under me. During sleep we must have shifted—one of her paws rests protectively over my side.

I don't decide. I simply know, then, that she is mine, just as Lena is mine.

I nuzzle her gently to wake her up. She opens her eyes slowly, blinking.

I let out a quiet click. "Food," I tell her. "Breakfast."

I learned that word from Lena. Breakfast is the food that comes when the sun rises. Lunch is the food for when the sun is high in the sky. Dinner is for when the sun sets. It is a wonderful thing, to eat three times with the sun.

"For me?" she asks cautiously, flicking her tail.

I push her towards the bowl in response. She laps the milk up wearily at first. Then, as if crossing some invisible line, her reserve breaks, and she is gulping the milk down without pausing for breath. I watch her eat, feeling as if I am eating too. Just watching her seems to fill me up.

The glameow finishes her meal. She licks her paws and then carefully washes her face. Her movements have a grace they didn't have last night. Even the way she holds herself is different—lighter.

Suddenly she goes still, and turns to face me. "I can't pay it back . . ." she says, trailing off.

"You don't need to," I tell her. "I was selfish. We have enough to spare. I was forgetting—"

"Forgetting?" She stares at me, perplexed.

"—a human child who rubbed my back and gave me food. So I brought her an item another human threw away, and that was thanks, but it wasn't an end. It didn't stop like that. And then a time came when it stopped mattering who did what first, or what was given, or what was taken, do you see?"

"I think so," she says quietly.

Just then, Lena walks in, rubbing her eyes. "Hey Mom, did you see where Champ got to—" She breaks off, noticing me on the counter. "Oh. Hey." She starts to smile. "Glameow, you came back!"

Instantly, the glameow rushes over to the paper bag she brought and pushes against it with a paw.

"For us?" Lena asks. "Thank you." She holds out a cautious hand to Glameow, who sniffs at it tentatively and then nuzzles her. Lena smiles, and goes to help her mother prepare breakfast.

Glameow watches her for a while. She's thinking about something—I can tell by the way her tail coils up tight.

"Listen," I say, nudging her. She looks at me curiously, and I falter. This isn't a question I've ever thought about how to ask.

My whiskers give a nervous twitch, and then I say: "Do you want to be warm every night?"

Glameow's eyes widen. She glances from me to Lena. "Is it—" She hesitates. "Is it permitted?"

"Lena," I say. The girl who is mine looks up at the sound of her name. I flick my tail over Glameow and think about how to say it so the girl can understand me. "You are mine. And I am yours. And this one here—she should be ours."

It takes a moment, but when Lena comes closer I see that she has understood me. "You want to come with us?" Lena says slowly. "Champ and I travel all around, you know."

"That's true," I say. "We fight battles together." I look at the glameow's thin body doubtfully and add, "You would not need to fight battles."

She narrows her eyes and straightens her tail. "I could fight."

"When your claws have grown hard," I tell her. "Then you can fight."

She stares at me through her narrow eyes, and I bare my own teeth in response. Lena puts out a hand and then pulls it back, watching us nervously. At last the glameow relaxes her tail and says, "When my claws have grown hard I will fight."

I rub my cheek against hers to show her that I am not upset. "You must drink more milk so that your claws will grow hard soon. And I will tell you all about the great victory that Lena and I have won together."

All through breakfast, Lena and I tell Glameow about our battle. I notice that Lena is growing quiet as her Mom takes the dirty dishes away.

"We should train a little," Lena says suddenly. Her voice sounds strange—thin and high. "Uh, you shouldn't come, Glameow, 'cause you need to save your strength."

I follow Lena outside, wondering what we are going to do. But Lena does not tell me her plan, the way she usually does when we train. Instead she sits down on the steps and pulls me onto her lap.

"I like Glameow," Lena says. "A lot. But, it's just—" Her voice is wobbling and I can smell her distress. "It's just a bit weird," she says finally, burying her face in my fur. "This whole time it's just been you and me. And now it won't be."

I lick her cheek, making her giggle. "For a long time, I was alone," I remind her. "Then you came, and I was not, and it was better."

Lena nods, but she doesn't say anything. I think about food and warmth, and wonder if I can explain it.

But there is no need. When night comes, we curl up in bed, all together.

I drift into sleep, feeling warm . . .

Chapter Sixteen
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Part II

"Excuse me," I say, polite. "Would you like to battle?"

I've said these words so many times it's not worth counting them. They're reassuring, like my old fleecie. I know how the script goes. There's yes and there's no. There's winning and there's losing. I understand how it works.

This trainer is tall, with bright hair and a long face. She's older than me, but I only see two pokeballs on her belt.

She looks me over, and I try to imagine what she sees. I'm eleven now, but I'm still small. My pants are worn thin around the knees and the bottoms are ragged where they meet the tips of my sneakers. I wonder if she notices how my bangs hang uneven where I cut them. Maybe she just sees the two pokeballs on my own belt, polished bright, and thinks how I'm just the same as her.

I'm not the same as her, but I'm not worse.

"Sure," she says, smiling, and we begin again.

"Excuse me," I say, when I spot another trainer. His clothes scream money, and I just see a single pokeball. "Would you like to battle?"

But when he turns around, I realize I know his face. I can't think of the name to go with it, though.

His eyes, wide and blue behind neatly trimmed bangs, widen even more. "Lena?" he says. "It's Lena, right?"

I remember his voice, thin and unsure, so different from his clothes. And then I remember how I know him.

"Walter," I say slowly, hoping I remembered right. He had a name like an old house, where only one family lives, with a garden stretching out around it.

I must have said it right. A smile blooms all over his face.

"Yeah," he says, pushing back a flop of hair. "It's nice to see you again. How is your journey progressing?"

I blink. It takes me a moment to figure out what he's asking. "My journey? Yeah, Champ and me are doing good. We've just gotten our third badge, too!" I tell him. I falter, afraid I sound like a braggart. Only the victory is still so fresh—the way Champ brought down Elesa's zebstrika, and how she'd smiled at us afterward. I wanted to frame her smile on a wall somewhere.

"C-cool!" Walter says. "I just have one, but I'm going to get more for sure now. I've been in this area for some time, uh, training, so I haven't had much of a chance to challenge gym leaders." His eyes light up. "We could battle! Athena is so much stronger now, you won't believe it!"

"Sure!" I say, a little surprised at his enthusiasm. "But Champ and me are stronger too, ya know."

He notices Sammy's pokeball on my belt. "Can we fight just one on one? Athena's still my only pokemon."

I share a look with Champ, and nod. Champ never minds a fight. I know he'll have the type advantage, but I'm not so worried. Walter still doesn't seem like much of a fighter to me.

Walter fumbles pulling the pokeball off his belt and nearly drops it. I start to smile, and then stop, feeling bad. I don't want Walter to think I'm making fun of him.

I've never seen a riolu before: they live in Sinnoh, far away. I can tell right away that this one's tough. Her eyes are sharp, and she stands tense on the balls of her feet, ready to battle.

Behind Riolu, Walter rubs his palms against his pants. He's nervous, I decide, and trying not to be.

"M-mach punch."

I'm lucky Walter talks so slow. I have enough time to tell Champ, "Quick attack!"

Champ gets out of the way in time, but it's closer than I'd like. The riolu is fast.

"Sand attack," I say, watching as Champ kicks dirt into the air. I know Champ's sneak move won't work on a fighting type like Riolu. "Hyper fang," I decide. Riolu's tough and fast, but a strong hit should do something.

Walter watches, wide-eyed. "Endure!" he shouts.

I frown as Riolu hunches over, taking Champ's attack. It's too early in the battle for a move like that. He should be fighting back.

"Taunt," I tell Champ. It's a move we've picked up watching other battles. Champ rolls over on the ground, showing his soft, hairless belly, and chittering mockingly.

Riolu's eyes narrow and her stance widens, trembling with energy. The next attack will be a big one, I'm sure. Champ and I both tense in readiness.

"Um, quick attack," Walter says.

Quick attack? I think, confused. Why quick attack, when Riolu's so riled up?

The attack makes contact, but Champ and I are prepared for that.

"Assurance," I say, even as Champ begins the move, striking Riolu where she exposed itself during the quick attack. "Now hyper-fang."

Walter doesn't say anything as Champ slams into Riolu, who stumbles back, dazed. I see her ears lift slightly, waiting for a command Walter doesn't give.

"Quick attack," I say, after a moment of hesitation. It feels wrong to attack when Walter's gone silent, but the battle's still going. No one's said anything to end it.

As Champ begins to move, I see a change in Riolu's stance. She braces herself against the ground and takes the attack on the side. Then she grabs Champ in both arms, in a firm grip.

"Bite her arm," I tell Champ quickly. He does, but not quick enough. Riolu slams Champ into the ground, using the energy of Champ's quick attack against him. It's the same maneuver we just pulled, turned back on us.

Champ's still lying on the ground, vulnerable, and I see Riolu's palm pulled back, collecting energy to swing.

"Scary face!" I shout. From his prone position, Champ screws up his face and lets out a low, deep growl, arresting the riolu's movement. The standoff stretches on. If Champ moves, Riolu might snap out of it, and hit Champ right when he's vulnerable.

The riolu throws back her head, emitting a high screech that makes my ears ring. The sound makes Champ flinch and look away, and Riolu begins to bring down her fist against Champ's unprotected side.

The blow is strong. Champ's sent back flying. He tries to stand, but twitches and falls, as if his legs aren't working straight. It's happened before, against electric pokemon. Champ's paralyzed.

Riolu comes forward, palm raised. Her eyes meet mine, and I'm taken aback by what I see in them: anger, confusion, and something else, something unsure. Like she's asking for permission.

"That's enough," I say loudly. "We forfeit."

From the ground, Champ chatters in protest. I shake my head at him. "You can't take that blow, and you can't dodge it."

I walk over to his side, and take a paralyze heal out of my pack. It's only mild; after the first stinging spray, Champ's able to stand. I rub him under his chin, just where he likes it. "I'm sorry," I whisper. "I was cocky. I didn't think they'd be so strong."

Champ pushes his head against my hand. "Catta ratta. Rat tat rat."

You're wrong. Only one was strong.

I turn to see the riolu watching us.

"Hey," I say, and Champ gives his own welcome.

The riolu lopes towards us, and then hesitates, a few feet away.

"You're really tough," I tell her. She looks up at me in surprise. Then her ears perk up and she lets out a low grumble, coming closer. I'm caught off guard when she places a blue paw against my hand and holds it there a moment. That must be how riolus say hello.

I should tell Walter he's tough too. That would be etiquette. But I don't want to. It wasn't nice of him to just stop talking like that, in the middle of a battle. Champ's not stupid. I could shut up and I bet Champ would still battle really good. But that wouldn't be fair. Champ counts on me to watch his back during battle and put moves together like puzzle pieces, so they add up into more than just what they are. But even if I weren't good, and I didn't know what to say—it's still my job to say something, to let Champ know I'm here. That I'll always be here, because we couldn't do this on our own.

"Riolu's really strong," I say finally, looking at Walter, who's standing there, with his hands clasped together, looking like he doesn't know where he is.

"Y-yeah," Walter says, looking away. "She is. I'm still not very good at battling yet, I know."

"You'll get better," I mumble, but I don't know if I mean it. I don't like the way he didn't say anything at all. How's he supposed to get better, if he's not even going to try?

Maybe Walter can tell how I'm not being so truthful, because he frowns.

"But you must be good at training, yeah?" I say, feeling bad now. "To help get Riolu so strong. Even if the battling part doesn't come so easy."

I was trying to perk him up, but it doesn't work at all. Walter's frown just digs further into his face.

"I'm not good at training either," he says. "I sent Athena to the daycare for training."

I cock my head at him. "What's a daycare?" I ask.

"It's—it's like a place where your pokemon can get strong if you can't help them. They're really good there. Professionals."

I think about Sammy for a moment. How I'm not sure whether I'm training her right.

I guess I looked interested, because Walter brightens and says, "You should check it out!" Walter says, brightening a bit. "It's just down the road from here, past the pokemon center—turn left at the big pine tree, and you can't miss it—it's got a bright red roof. Not—" his frown returns, "Not that you really need it."

He turns the toe of his right shoe,black and gleaming, into the dirt and drags it in a rough line. "My father's coming out here this week," he says suddenly, not looking up. "He's got business in the city. And I told him that I was here, and he wants to see how I'm doing." Walter's smile is strange, like a jagged edge turned inwards. "I'm not doing very well, am I."

Walter's radiating misery so thick even I can smell it, and I don't half have Champ's nose. I drift closer, figuring Walter's kind of like a friend, even if I don't really get him.

"Probably it doesn't matter how many badges you've got," I say. "Probably your dad just wants to see you being a trainer." I think of my family and add, "And how you've changed and become stronger."

"Except I haven't," Walter says, all calm and cool, but he's blinking his eyes real fast, as if that's gonna keep tears away.

I shove my hands into the deep pockets of my fleecie and find my eyes meeting Athena's. He's your human, I try to say with my eyes. Snap him out of it.

Athena's ears twitch, and I feel her discomfort. It's like she's saying, You're both humans, right? Can't you do it?

Well, yeah. Fair enough

"Battling," I begin clumsily, "I mean, I can only say how it is for Champ and me. But it's about the two of you, and how you're fighting together. I'm Champ's eyes and Champ's my teeth. And if you watch enough it starts to make sense, and the words get easier and they come quicker, when you need them." I'm talking to Walter, but I'm still looking at Athena, and she's looking back at me, her head aslant, like she's seen something new.

"That's it!" Walter exclaims suddenly. I twist my head back towards him. "You get battling, Lena, in a way I don't. So you could, you could kind of tutor me. Like a tutor for Kalosian, only in battling!" He sees the confusion on my face and adds hastily, "Of course, I'd compensate you for your time."

Compensate. Three syllables, and all of them are strange. But I know that put together, all they must mean is "pay." People like Walter use a lot of long words that have money wrapped up in them.

I bite back the "no" tickling on my lips, wondering why it's there. Walter's got all this money, and if he wants to pay me for some training tips, that's his business.

Only, I don't like the way that sits. We're both trainers, me and him, even if he's got money and I don't. I'm not some servant for him to go round paying me.

"No," I say slowly, and watch as his face falls. "No, I won't teach you for money. But I'll try to teach you, and then you'll do something back for me, okay?"

That was always how Sammy and me did it. We traded in favors, not cash.

Walter blinks, and his forehead scrunches a little, like he's really thinking. Like he's trying to figure me out.

"That would be great," he says quietly. "I would appreciate that, thank you, Lena."

He really means it, too. I can see that in his eyes, which have gone all wide again.

"Sure," I say, kicking a stray pebble and feeling kind of uncomfortable with this whole conversation. "Look, I'll see you 'round then, yeah? We've got to go to the pokemon center now."

As I start to head off, I catch Riolu staring at me. "See you 'round too, Athena," I say, giving her an awkward wave. As we walk away, I can still feel her eyes fixed on me, until we round the corner and go out of view.

Last edited:
    Chapter Seventeen
  • Pen

Staff
    Partners
    1. dratini
    2. dratini-pen
    3. dratini-pen2
    Sammy loves pokecenters. She's like human Sammy in that, I guess. She loves the plush pink couches and the stuffy, heated air, the yummy scents that waft into the lobby from the cafeteria.

When she comes out of her ball and sees we're in a pokemon center, she lets out a great big purr that starts all the way in her spine and rolls herself out on the nearest couch. I laugh and go to rub her belly, warm and pink, flecked with patches of glossy gray hair. Her coat is always clean now, and the hairs are sleek and strong. Nurse Joy says she's nice and healthy now, only there are some things that won't get better, like how her bones are too small and her spine curves funny, so it's hard for her to walk sometimes.

Sammy gets out of breath when she battles too long. She shivers, even when it's not so cold outside. When she caught a cold, it didn't go away for weeks and weeks. Nurse Joy told us that's all because of malnutrition—because Sammy didn't eat right when she was a kitten.
    But she told me it doesn't always have to be like this. I close my eyes and try to remember her words just like she said them: "Evolution constitutes a full genetic rewrite. If your glameow evolves under conditions of stable nutrition and good health, her body will be able to correct its current deficiencies."

Which was a lot of words I didn't really know, but I think I got her point. Glameow's body's weak now from remembering all the time she didn't have good food. But when she evolves, it's all going to change, like Champ did. Only, Champ evolved because we travelled and battled a lot. It's hard for Sammy to battle, and training makes her get tired fast, even though she really tries and pretends she isn't. I don't know how to make her strong without hurting her the way she is now.

I think that it would be simpler maybe if Sammy didn't fight. Only, she likes battles; she likes movement. I still don't understand her speech the way I do Champ's, but she said once that when she fights she feels how her body is strong and that is the best thing.

That is the best thing of all.

"Hey cutie," a low voice says. I look up to see a woman holding out her hand for Sammy to sniff. Her smooth brown skin is darker than mine and her long lilac hair is tied in a loose side-ponytail. She's wearing a red jacket over a slick black turtleneck and high boots. There are four pokeballs on her belt.

Sammy must like her scent. She stands, her spine lifting in a smooth curve, and nudges closer. From the ground, Champ grumbles to see Sammy getting double pats.

The trainer laughs, bending down to scritch the top of Champ's head. "Now don't take offense, you're a cutie too." I watch, as Champ's growl slides into a content whine.

Finally, she looks at me. Her eyes are brown, glinting around the edges with shiny turquoise. Her lips curve into a smile, and she says, "Hey, a third cutie. It must be my lucky day."

She winks, and I think my face is going to burn off.

"Hi," I say, or at least I try. It comes out more like "hng."

From the ground, Champ snickers.

"You're a pokemon trainer, huh?" she says casually, swinging a leg over her knee as she sits on the coach besides me.

"I have two badges," I say quickly, straightening up, so she knows I'm not a noob. So she knows I'm somebody serious.

"And do you only have these two?" She gestures to Sammy and Champ.

"Yeah."

"Impressive, getting this far with two normal types. Leaves you pretty open, though TMs can cover for a lot."

"Right," I say. I know what TMs are now, even though I've never used one. "How many badges do you have?" It comes out sounding like a challenge, even though that's not what I mean, and I feel my cheeks heat slightly. "I mean, you look pretty tough," I add quickly, tripping over my words.

"Hah, thanks! I've got seven badges. Might go for the last one at some point, but I've got other priorities for now."

I've never talked to a Seven before. I try to keep my eyes from going wide.

"Your raticate's got the look of a real fighter," she adds, taking me by surprise.

"Champ is," I tell her, amazed that she could know just by looking at Champ. Seven's are definitely in their own league.

"Some pokemon—and their trainers—they have this complacent air to them. Like battling's a game they've decided to play for a while. You don't have that look. I can tell you're in this to win."

I think of Walter when she says that, of his stupid stammering while Champ and me fought. Complacent. That's not a word I know, but I think I get what it means. Like lying down in the sunlight and not wanting to move, not needing to change, because you know the future will be fine whatever you do. Even if it won't be.

I look back to the Seven. Even sitting, there's an energy that animates her whole body. Her eyes flick from Sammy to me to the rest of the pokemon center.

"You're in this to win it too," I realize.

"Oh, you better believe I am, Cutie-pie." She smiles again, but the smile falters as her eyes latch onto something over my shoulder. "I'll catch you later, huh?" she says, and without waiting for an answer, gets up and crosses the pokecenter lobby.

Sammy mewls in disappointment. She bats away my hand and pushes herself up onto her haunches. I should have asked that Seven how to train Sammy. Someone like her, a real professional trainer, would definitely know the answer.

As I'm thinking that, something Walter was saying about a daycare pops back into my head. He said they had real experts there.

"Hey, I have an idea," I tell Sammy and Champ.

We hurry out of the pokemon center, following the road until I glimpse the big pine tree Walter mentioned. There's a red roof visible through the trees. As we get closer, I see it's a big building, long and low, with an enclosure out back. The door's wooden and smells old and musty.
    Inside, it reminds me a bit of the pokecenter, with worn blue benches to sit, a videophone, and a counter in the back. There's an old woman standing there. When she catches my eye, I panic a bit, 'cause I haven't thought at all what I'm going to say.

"H-hi," I say, coming closer, Champ and Sammy right behind. "My friend Walter told me to come here . . ." I add, feeling like I need an excuse, even though this place is beat-up, not shiny like the pokecenter.

The lady beams. "Ah, yes, he was a nice young lad. Well, my dear, will we be looking after both of these darlings?" Her voice is low and gritty, like something's caught in her throat. She's looking at Champ and Sammy, and I feel a bit of panic flash through me.

"Um, no, I mean—I just wanted to learn more? Uh . . ."

"Daycares are a resource for trainers who just don't have the time to raise all their pokemon. We'll take good care of your pokemon, train them. You'd be surprised how many pokemon evolve here and learn powerful new moves!"

Something about what she's saying sounds different than how Walter was describing it. I don't get what she means, about trainers not having time to raise their pokemon. That's all a trainer has to do! Only that.

Wouldn't really be a trainer, if you didn't have time to train your own pokemon.

"Sammy, my glameow," I say, "um, she's had malnutrition. And so I don't know how to train her properly."

The old woman grimaces in sympathy. "Well, we can certainly look after her, darling, though if you're looking to raise a strong battler, your money might better be spent elsewhere."

"My money?" I say, feeling my chest sink. Of course there's money involved.

"The standard fee—$200 poke a day," the woman says, like it's nothing. I try to calculate that out in my head, but my thoughts stutter.

"Oh," I say. "Right. Um, I just remembered something. I have to go."

Then I bolt.

My head is down and I'm not looking where I'm going at all, so of course I crash into some lady coming down the path. I start to apologize, blushing, and then I get a better look at her,

It's Stel!

Her hair's gone a different color, deep fuschia instead of dark blue, but it's definitely Stel. My mouth falls open.

"Lena?" Stel says, her face creasing into a frown. "I never expected to see someone like you here."

The judgment in her voice is worse than a blow. My face begins to really burn and it's impossible to speak. Stel knows someone like me doesn't have any business at a place like this, a place for people who don't grub their money.

"I didn't know it was expensive" I say in a jumble, "It's just that Walter said I should go, but I shouldn't have listened because he's rich and he doesn't think about things, but I should have known, even though from the outside, it didn't look like much—"

"Slow down," Stel says, raising her hand. She's eyeing me strangely. "I think I might have jumped to a hasty conclusion. This Daycare—you know what it's for, don't you?"

"Professionals, who train pokemon," I say, only I don't think it's quite right. "My glameow needs help," I tell Stel and explain about the malnutrition.

By the time I'm finished, Stel is shaking her head. "Yeah no, I would not trust your glameow's health to an establishment like this. Daycares aren't—how do I explain this? There are a few reputable daycares. Very expensive places, they hire retired trainers and offer training services at a ridiculous price. It's not equitable, but at least it's above board. Then you get places like this. They charge an arm and a leg, but none of their staff have any experience. And yet the pokémon that go in come back stronger—how do you think that works?"

I don't know how, so I just shake my head.

Stel sighs. "It's a pretty open secret that places like this use some kind of illegal enhancers: steroids that increase Pokémon's speed, attack, endurance. That's what people are paying for, whether they realize it or not."

I stare at her, my head starting to spin.

"That's what I'm here to investigate. The Pinebrooke Daycare is hemorrhaging money and desperate. I'm hoping I can gather some evidence of illegal steroid abuse." Stel gives me a sympathetic look. "This isn't a place you want to be hanging around, Lena. And this friend of yours—you would do well to warn him off too."

I mumble something like, "I will."

Stel gives me a sympathetic smile and says, "I'd love to catch up with you, Lena, but I'm afraid I'm terribly pressed for time. If you need anything, please give me a ring, all right? You do have my number?"

When I shake my head, she pulls a notepad out of her jacket pocket, scribbles quickly, and presses the scrap of paper into my hand.

I wave her goodbye with limp fingers. Then I stumble off until I'm surrounded by trees, sit with my head pressed between my knees, and try to think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom