• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Little Leavanny in the Big City [BW Prequel AU/Reincarnation]

Concerned Burgh

zoru22

Junior Trainer
Concerned Burgh, Drawn by Kyeugh the ineffable

p9ccvKY.jpg

Their Twitter: https://twitter.com/kyeugh_draws

Next chapter is coming along, though it might be a few more days. I got sidetracked between work and Who's Got The Kids.

Chapter 61 - False Binary

zoru22

Junior Trainer
~~~ Chapter 61 - False Binary ~~~​

Art's left hand twitched, grabbing Leah's pokeball off his belt. He'd had his hand on it the moment the lights grew brighter. But he'd wanted to try and talk her down and out of the anxiety. Running was no answer to problems. Nor was beating up on the people around you.

"H-Hey, we have a lot we need to talk about!" Burgh had said the moment he realized she had stopped paying attention to him. Her antennae had gone from droopy, and her moping to a kind of twitchy movement. She was about to get herself into trouble, he thought, watching her walk over to Leaf. He hoped for a moment, that it would be another, normal scuffle. But something in the air just didn't feel right.

But he'd seen the tell-tale sign of her panic attacks, and had instantly reached for the pokeball. And, when Fidget hopped off the chair to greet her challenge… Burgh was dumbstruck, and for a half-a-second, thought about letting the fight play out. But when Fidget went flying back into the reinforced door, with a loud crack, Leah had been recalled back into the ball before she had a chance to follow up.

He was already checking over Fidget's head and body, trying to find any sign of damage—that hit looked like it hurt. But no, no visible damage. Just a dent in the door at the end of the train car. No missing leaves or gouges in Fidget's thorax or issues in his abdomen. Fidget yanked himself out of Burgh's arms, and started to rub his own blades together, shearing off layers of leaves with reckless abandon.

What is it with Leavanny and self-harm this way? hHe thought to himself, before recalling Fidget into his pokeball. Looking around in the cabin, by Burgh's bag, was the Silcoon. Putting Leah and Fidget both onto his belt, before sitting down on the bench next to the metamorphosing bug, Burgh threw his hands over his face, as he hunched over. The professor's voice played in his head.

They're pokemon. Animals. The words resounded in Burgh's head, again, and he groaned.

Even if she was radically smarter, letting Leah fight her cohort was… Not the best idea. If she was from another world, then her rules of engagement might have been different? Perhaps in the world she was from, Leavanny were less rare? She'd gotten morose and mopey when he'd asked her too many questions. An anxiety attack when asked to point at pictures with the detective. Then they'd used Fidget as a control, and that had turned into a disaster.

No, she was still hurting from something, and in his excitement, had ignored the warning signs of her own anxiety. Something in the questions she was asking had caused her to act up. Would probably continue to cause her to act out. But why would she choose violence? Fidget had nothing to do with the questions. And Leah had never chosen violence to start any interaction. She'd even avoided wrestling and playing with the swadloon.

Really, even with the effects of Sunny Day still in full swing, Burgh's mind was running… No, he'd heard about it before. Most pokemon with a full diet and good nutrition grew larger and stronger. Or their magic power grew more potent. But what about pokemon like Leah, who didn't change their physical shape or size? She wouldn't molt, and she'd be three feet tall for the rest of her life. Looking around, he picked up his bag, pulling it up off the ground, fumbling through his pokedex.

And found nothing. There were no known nutrients which caused an explicit increase in aggressive behavior. Not for Leavanny. But there was a general note with regards to the generic diet article, where he found the original note he was looking for.

Most pokemon in the wild are able to survive on a thin slice of the recommended diet. However, it is recommended to present a wide variety of food options and allow them to choose what to eat, as they will naturally gravitate toward meals which will contain the missing nutrients. He skimmed ahead—Even humans had some factors like that. Pregnant women, stories of his drama teacher's wife who had sent them on a midnight run for pickle juice covered ice cream or the one time she'd made herself an avocado covered and jelly sandwich. All of which had gone away when he'd bought her a pack of nutri-bars.

Pokemon with full diets are more likely to be willing to mate—

He skipped a bit further ahead. Burgh was not ready to even think about her laying eggs. Not until he at least had an actual sequence of her DNA. In fact, he made a mental note to double check Leavanny mating habits and ensure he wasn't making a big mistake by having her out and about with Fidget all the time. At the very least it shouldn't be a concern until winter. Was he going to have to give her the birds and the bees talk?

Art shook his head. He was on a mission here. And if she could understand human speech, she probably wouldn't need one. Though… perhaps he should at least tell her he isn't exactly able to guarantee support for kids. He wanted to check his hunch and find an answer for her aggression. Not a new vector for causing her panic.

Some trainers may find their pokemon tend to be more aggressive when their pokemon overeat.

He frowned. Leah wasn't overeating. By definition, as he understood it, anyway. The Leavanny article had said she should be self regulating before it got bad enough that she was getting fat. But that was due to pain as her inflexible body…

And yet, the behavior was still uncharacteristic of her. She was always propositioned for the fight first. This had been the first time she'd ever initiated an actual act of aggression of her own volition. Well, there was one time, on the docks where they met Aurea, that she pegged the bird with a razor leaf. Even after the first time he'd had to protect Fidget.

If a pokemon is hungry… Was the real reason why Leah had left for the city because she wasn't getting enough calories? If she was from another wo—no, he sighed. There was no point in further speculating. At least not until he could get an answer directly from her.

Burg held, in his hand, Leah and Fidget's pokeballs, feeling the extra weight his companions added to them. As much as he thought the Professor was an old hardass who hadn't kept up with the times; the old man was right about one thing, though maybe for different reasons. Because, well, sitting there in the train, with just his thoughts as company, for the first time since leaving the Professor's house a month ago, Art was lonely.

~~~​

Darkrai, Cresselia, and their two new human "friends" sat in the ride car. Which went up. And then it went down. As soon as the ride began, the experience was over. Tyler and Selene took deep breaths, releasing espurr from the pokeball and picking his cat up, putting the one-foot tall bipedal staring feline on his shoulder. Darkrai looked over at Cresselia. He didn't frown, though he was watching Cresselia's passive and pleasant face.

"Not your favorite?" Cresselia asked him. She knew him well enough by now she didn't need to ask. They tended to understand one another shortly after each cycle. Dreams had tendencies of reminding them what they lost each time.

"It is an impressive machine," Darkrai said. "However, for going up and down, it leaves a taste of what could be." Cresselia's passive levitation meant she would never actually fall unless another being pulled her down. And Darkrai's levitation effectively kept him on the ground. Their tainted Latias friend could recreate the experience of going up and down with speed.

"Uh, did the security guard run off?" Tyler asked, espurr once more upon his shoulder.

"Yes, he did," Cresselia stated. Darkrai couldn't hear or sense heartbeats. Not like Cress. But, he didn't need to. He smiled.

"We have one more target before the finale of the night," Darkrai said. Pointing up at the park's single in-air roller coaster. It was, all told, a simple steel-type rollercoaster which had been painted in color neon pink and greens, with a dash of yellow.

"Ty, I think they're closing up the park. All the people outside the concert hall are getting ushered to the front."

"It doesn't close until midni—oh," he said, taking an awkward glance at the gods walking in front of them.

"Should we leave?" Selene asked.

"I'd feel bad leaving those two here…" he said.

"They can clearly handle themselves, Ty," she told him. Then she spoke up, holding her hand up to her face, apparently not able to decide if she was embarrassed or frustrated. "I think it'll be okay," she whispered. They grabbed each other's hand and ran back up to Darkrai and Cresselia, both of whom smiled.

"A friend has told us that a roller coaster is an open challenge. A challenge of self-identity, I suppose. Yet, one learns a bit about themselves, on the approach, on the ride, and then after, when they get off." The four of them walked up to the beginning of the roller coaster's queue. All but a handful of guests seemingly left the park, but neither god was in a rush.

"Huh," Tyler said. "I suppose it makes sense. Do you two agree with it?"

"Relatively speaking, I suppose. Any choice one makes defines them, and tells who you are and what kind of being you are. You either rode the roller coaster or did not. In the sense that any daunting, or difficult choice defines us."

"I just think roller coasters are fun," Selene said. "Better than losing my eardrums in that concert hall, anyway." The concert hall had been banging and there were cheers here and there. They proceeded at a leisurely pace through the queue.

"We certainly agree with that," Cresselia said. "We much prefer quiet to the loud. One wonders how Groudon doesn't arise from this infernal banging." But, it was the cost of admission. Were it not for the banging, others would arrive too soon for the Lunar Duo to have a full night.

They climb up the metal steps, and find themselves back in the queue again, though they stop a good ten feet away from the last person in line. Tyler and Selene both look confused, before noticing Cresselia's finger pointed ever so slightly at the person in front of them. The park had been largely evacuated in silence. The only people who would remain were those who had a problem with authority, or those looking to cause trouble.

The man had hid his hands, but had been slightly too slow. Selene's face drooped and Tyler frowned. "More than one individual with a poor mindset tonight," Darkrai said.

"It seems our disguises aren't up to par, dear." Cresselia told him.

"You had me fooled," Tyler said. Darkrai's uncannily articulate illusory face raised an eyebrow. Tyler's face went flush.

"I do not know whatever you are referring to. We are but average human beings madly in love with each other and perform many gratuitous actions, just as any other madly-in-love pair of humans do," Darkrai said, smirking.

"Yes, yes of course. He's so dreamy." Cresselia said, grabbing her partner's hand, her facial expression emoted approximately as much as a mannequin. "Neither of you could dream how good he is," she said, looking into Darkrai's eyes. Cresselia never fully figured out facial expression, though she had tone nailed down pat.

The line moved forward, and another group got off, and they were next in line, so this time, the four and the espurr stepped forward, prior to the loading area. Even if the rides themselves weren't anything to speak about, he did have to admit—he was having fun. Though, when they got off the coaster, one last show, then the night would be over, the vacation, the departure from their norms done.

Cresselia was keeping an eye on their companions. But, he returned to the original thought. One may make a decision. And one may learn about themselves. But what did you learn if it was just a single binary decision? Nothing. Because there was no such thing as a binary decision. What happens when one gets on a roller coaster and they are already uneasy, for unrelated reasons? Do they enjoy the roller coaster ride? Or do they not?

A recurring bad dream about roller coasters could color a human's perception of any activity for the rest of their lives. All without them ever having to need to actually ride one. One either gets onto the roller coaster, or one does not, it is true. But it was a limited framing, Darkrai would conclude. Seeking to immerse oneself in the dream worlds without invitation was a choice, and ones their false followers not knowing that by their very presence, did not care for the consequences of their actions.

They stepped on the roller coaster. They would have fun. They would get off the coaster. And they would have fun again. They would share their gratitude to the Dreamer, later, one whom they willingly invited. On the coaster, they fiddled with the buckles, before an attendant, clearly sweating and nervous—the night really had come close to being ruined.

They had fun. Were having fun. Will have fun. There was nothing to do, on the ride, for Darkrai. He enjoyed it because he knew that Cresselia enjoyed it. At first, he'd been curious, but when it was the best the humans could do, he was unimpressed. But he knew it would happen. Cresselia did too. Even on the ride, the air whizzing past, his illusion held.

They proceeded off the ride. He had fun. He smiled at Cresselia's human visage, holding her hands as they got off. And he knew, despite her awkwardness at imitating humans, that she would be concerned about Tyler and Selene. He did enjoy the mask he wore. And he enjoyed knowing Cresselia enjoyed it too.

After being released from their restraints, and finessing the buckle system, they stood up. They hopped off the roller coaster ride.

"I must admit," he said, pausing on the exit ramp. "I am hesitant to cease having fun like this, or what will come."

"Sorry for interrupting," Tyler said, "but, uh. Why do you have to stop? Do you uh, work a job somewhere?"

"Ride's closed! Please exit the off-ramp completely," the attendant shouted from above, but did not approach the quad to shoo them off.

"One may call it such, but only insofar as being a pokemon and pairing with a human to fight, is a job," Darkrai said.

"So… No one is paying you?" Selene asked, after building up her courage to speak.

"Dear," Cresselia said, "many Pokemon living with trainers are paid."

"Not all, of course," Darkrai added.

"Of course not," Cresselia said, as the duo stalled, sitting together on the metal off-ramp from the coaster. Electricity crackles through the air.

"Shall we go forth, and embrace dramatic defeat?" Darkrai's rhasping voice returned as the god of nightmares cast away his illusion. In shock, or worry, Darkrai didn't care, Tyler grabbed his staring espurr off his shoulders and held her to his chest.

"Oh dear," Cresselia said, her body morphing back to the pink maiden of the moon, the last half of the words of her voice turning squeaky.

Thank you for helping to make this night wonderful for my partner, Cresselia told the duo, as they paused for a few more moments.

"You're… welcome?" Tyler said, hugging his espurr with one hand, holding Selene's hand with the other.

Please proceed ahead of us and leave the park. Walk briskly, but do not run. You will find three women and a Meganium.

"Inform them, they will find an electric god in the park, doing battle against Darkrai and Cresselia, who are losing." Tyler and Selene both nodded. The trio would arrive at the park if only because of the commotion that would start in the next few minutes. Though their premonitions weren't terribly accurate with respect to timing, the Duo had learned to bake in a bit of a margin for error.

They let both Tyler and Selene leave, who followed and would follow their instructions to a T. At least within the allotted margin of error.

Without humans to say anything to, or to perform for, Darkrai and Cress sat in silence. The park really was empty. No one new had entered the queue, and the music, while still thrumming, had turned from a bombastic set of electric, to a more relaxed, cool beat. They did not know how, exactly, but their location was known.

They both step off the ramp, out into the park. Booths had been closed, though the warm food in them was still cooling off.

There is a crackle in the air, and a meloetta stands in front of them. Little sparks of electricity, its movements erratic. It does not stand still.

"I was wondering what it was that drew you two here," a woman's voice began, "on my big opening night and everything. The concert was going great. For all of thirty minutes until I got a notification that forced me to rely on a backup. My backup dancer! On my opening night!"

Meloetta continued to zoom around, glitching and twitching across the ground, the musical notation on the bands that fell from her head were short, but they rapidly swapped with each time she ran.

"If Melly didn't catch your beat, I would have ignored it. She's been itching for some real fun for a long time. Not a lot of legendaries want to fight her these days."

Darkrai said, turning toward the woman, who was dressed in yellow and black, the electrified meloetta continuing to zap around with reckless abandon. "Unfortunately, Cresselia and I are out of practice."

"Oh. Damn," the young gym leader said. "Well. Melly wants a fight. She'll keep to some rules if you want."

"It's you we're concerned with." Darkrai said.

"Me?" Elesa said, thinking for a moment. "Don't worry, I won't catch anyone," she said.

Darkrai nodded. He was pretty sure they had the margins he was looking for by now.

"One last thing. For real though," Elesa said. "Why the fuck on my opening night?"

I wished to ride a Roller Coaster.

Chapter 62 - Fillet

zoru22

Junior Trainer
CW: Gore, traumatic injury, blood

~~~ Chapter 62 - Fillet ~~~​

When I had been recalled into the pokeball, back on the train, I was frustrated. I had all that pent-up energy in my chest, and it wasn't going away. Annoyed. I wasn't really thinking straight, well. I was thinking less straight than normal. A lot less than normal, all right? The heat, that pressure, it had only gotten worse.

The…disappointment? Left a sour taste. A sour, bitter, numb feeling. All was welling up inside. I felt the crystals minimized and inside me also vibrating, for what I had thought was a response to the annoyance. The desire to let it all go, to beat on my target. The desire. It wasn't anger.

It wasn't the same as when Fidget had bit my arm, stealing my berries and fruits back in that forest. The only thing I could think of, when recalling that emotion, was when I'd fought off the rockruff. Anticipation. But also, the disappointment of the short fight with the Arcanine from earlier that night. The fire, that energy smoldered inside me.

Every last fight since the rockruff had been either disappointing, left a bad taste, or just was a one-sided stomp. Okay, there were a couple good ones. When I fought the unfezant while back in the professor's town, practicing with Lanky. A few other fights we'd had while practicing in the woods before we took Lanky's demonstration-test-thing before we were taken to the Castelia city gym.

Aside from that, nothing, not even saving Oust from the torture-room in the torture dungeon on the mountain had left a similar feeling. Which, mind, was still a separate feeling I could not place. It was as if I had a heavy weight in my chest.

In my thorax, where my human heart would have been, if I was still human, I had burned. The fire, the desire to let out the building energy and tension within me. In the pokeball, it was burning, screaming to escape, and in the pokeball, I had nowhere to go. Nowhere to go but to sleep. At that point, I had an outlet, anxious and fidgety as I was despite whatever numb form my body took.

There was nothing to listen to except the mute hum of what I could only assume was the train and the rhythmic hum of the moving our traincar. Thus, I made the calculated decision to attempt to pre-empt Darkrai's "gift" and enter their realms. Pulling my anxious, angry pokemagic, the pull was the same. My entire body, in the miniaturized, possibly-ethereal form quietly hummed as I pulled myself into the dream world.

Kael. My older brother.

My grip, my pull wavered, not quite finishing the maneuver, a massive jolt shocked me, and the world around me didn't go black, didn't go pink. It had gone gray. Falling through the abyss, I would have screamed, but could not. For a moment, I was on the floor of the train, booms echoing through the air, with the slightest hint of static.

But no, I wasn't going to be able to battle on the battle sub. I tried again. My abdomen hummed. The pull felt different, but I continued anyway, vision turning grey again. I needed—

"I'm not going to wait… on a list for ten years for a transplant."

The pull wavered, shocking me again. But this time, back in the new, third? Dream world? I fell through the floor. Like, physically? I was also physically shocked. My world lurched. I spun and fell. Like, literally fell, and I hit the ground with a thud, knocking me out of my vision, yet again.

My antennae twitched, bounced, no something was poking at them, playing. The lack of light told me whatever dream I was in, it had been night. But most problematically, the pressure was still there. I smelled new things in the air. Though, I was instead assaulted by the smell of carbon and greasy corn in the air. I sat up, straight into the air, inviting a hiss from what I could only assume was a meowth. Some dog-like pokemon was barking up a storm from behind a chain link fence, whining, rattling against it in the night. I didn't even look.

"Mom and Dad are worried about you, sis."

"Well aware, Kael."

I knew this street. I didn't smell any pokemon. Or see any, either. Letting my eyes adjust to the night, picking up the light emit by the few street lights. Wisconsin didn't have grass. It was more like a moss, really. Flat green stuff. The dirt smelled like ass. The air smelled like asphalt and oil and gas and tar. I looked up at a few trees. They all looked… Useless. I was, frankly disgusted.

I thought I had left all of this behind. But no, these dreams reminded me. I'd been a pokemon for two months, and not even thought of my home state. I looked down at my arms—the dream left me as a Leavanny. I was still a shortstack—the dogs were still pushing and banging against the fence, though they had quieted down.

"You're self-isolating again."

I looked around. The dream recreation of Kael's neighborhood was eerily accurate. I hadn't dreamt of this place, not once. A nearby street lamp illuminated me. I examined my leaf-blades in more detail. They were a bit scuffed. I flexed my arm, the blades were as sharp as ever and as flexible as ever.

"I don't need you to tell me that, Kael."

I awaited for the usual cries and screams which accompanied these draining dreams, the thumping and burning in my thorax still eating away. The dogs hadn't even crossed me as potential opponents, in a similar way that fighting Lanky hadn't.

He didn't live in the biggest of houses, and our whole family lived within a half-hour of the Packers stadium. Wisconsin was a flat state. Taking a glance behind me, the dogs were actually a pair of very large animals—Tibetan Mastiffs. I could never remember their names, but I loved them and they were super nice when I was a human.

"We're all worried about you. You don't have to si—"

I had always worried they would bust out of their containment. But, watching them climb the fence with a practiced ease… at more than twice my mass, they cleared the fence and human-Leah had proven correct. Well, this was a nightmare so it only made sense they would escape.

"Shut up, Kael. It's my decision, not yours."

I set my legs apart. Raised my leaf-blades, as the two dogs circled me. Tails wagging? Sniffing me? Which was fine. Even with the pressure, the desire to release… It felt wrong? Though one did sniff too close to me, and I did get a good whack for the trouble. I was not a chew toy.

Ignoring the two dogs, now spooked enough to keep their distance, I was not going to let this dream just be yet another piece of bullshit. I pulled the mana inside me, as much as I could. I stepped across the lawn, crossing a driveway. The concrete was impressively tactile, for a dream. Not a single house's lights were on. On the street I stood, my brother's car was parked in front of his driveway.

I gathered up the mana, the dogs following behind me. He and Trisha didn't have a lot of money. Most people on the outskirts of Green Bay didn't. But he had enough to have a house and keep nerding out on pokemon during the harsh winters. The mana inside me warmed my thorax, and I focused as much of it as I could, I could at least get some of the tension out. I was a good twenty feet away from his car.

"It's just, you know, an experimental procedure…"

"I'm an adult, Kael. Fuck off."

The pressure built, and I gave both dogs circling me again good whacks, sending the massive bears running with a good whack. They were not worthy opponents. At all. There, in the dream, I still waited for the inevitable crisis, glancing at Kael's car. Sitting there, in his driveway. My antennae tasted oil. I tasted aluminum. I tasted far, far too much fertilizer. Remnants of booze cans, probably from the Sunday ritual that was the state's obsession with football.

There were no stars in the sky. Well, I didn't actually have the vision to tell. But there was no moon. I had to be rid of this one somehow, so I did the only thing I thought to do. I pulled on my mana. I pulled on the refreshed memory of that old conversation, the two of us, sitting at the starbucks. I felt the heat rising up in my body. I grew more warm from the broiling piece of mana inside.

"But it's not prov—" "Kael. Are you my doctor?" "No" "My surgeon?" "N—" "—Credentials? No? Gee look at that. Fuck. Off."

The now-familiar writhing, spinning and screaming sun-like energy in my mouth, rapidly rotating, threatening to tear itself out in a massive explosion. This was my life. I would live it how I pleased. I cracked the flat ridges of my V-shaped mouth apart, pulling the energy from the thorax again, only to release it, feeling my limbs go slightly cold, holding it in, the vibration in my abdomen of the remnants of the rocks that remained inside.

"Look, Kael," I had said. "I already feel bad enough. But I will not be held hostage by their, or your feelings. Not for a chance of something better. Not because it makes mom and dad worried."

"I know. Just. They do care about you, you know."

I tilted my head ever-so-slightly up, the beam screaming out into the air, just skimming above the roof of his shitty Toyota Prius. Instead of blasting my brother's car, the screaming solar beam illuminating the street, the beam crashed through the roof of a house at the other end of the street.

"Fuck, Kael! I know, damn it! Sometimes… Caring means giving space. If you care about me, you'll stop guilting me each time we have these coffee lunches."

Sparks and flames arose, the beam shooting across the sky into the distance. When smoke rose up from their roof it had definitely been a dream. My solar beam had never set anything on fire. Merely left scorch marks. The second point I knew it was a dream was when no one's lights turned on.

With the solar beam gone, I pulled my mana again, the dogs watching me from a distance, I was sure. I had, against Lyra's Meganium, and Alakazam—the dream I was in rippled—I had managed to summon leaves in those fights—beewooop. It was worth the time to practice those again. I tasted distortion.

It wasn't every day that a nightmare turned out to be so low-key. Would be nice if I didn't have to fucking use the leaves—beewooop—on my leaf-jeans. I wasn't about to check up on—BEEWOOOP—Unfortunately, the house I'd hit, now smoking—BEEWWOOP—audibly angry, and—BEEEWOOOOP—emitting flashes of light from the rising flames, screaming at me in anger with each obnoxious BEEEWOOP.

I hated fire types in these dreams, but at this distance, I could throw some leaves at my opponent. But before I could step closer to my rising opponent, my brother's house, his door opened, I turned, and say his face, peeking out—and I was on the floor of the train again. Not seconds later, Lanky's arms around me, pulling me off the ground. A boom rolled over our train, rocking it, static and crackling filled the air.

Thanks, Darkrai, for the wonderful dreams and memories. Really what I needed.

A wave of distortion rolled over me—Wait. Was that Oust?—"Leeeee!" I cried, I yanked my arm out of Lanky's embrace—"Ach!"—I was shoved to the ground—Oust's fake leavanny form disappearing behind a closing hole in reality. He was gone. The smell of iron touched my antennae. "You cut me!" Lanky cried. I turned to see him, kneeling on the ground, a stream of blood dripping down his left arm. Leaf stood a short distance from me, a leaf-blade flat over his mouth.

Lanky grabbed the bag on the train floor next to him. He was cut deeply, right at the elbow, a sizable chunk of skin hanging down. "Tourniquet!" Lanky called. I stepped closer to him, not sure what to do—there were no leaves nearby—no, Leaf wasn't gasping, he was pooling silk on the flat of his leaf-blade—Lanky needed a tourniquet, not a bandage. I didn't want to get in his way, but I pulled together my silk, recalling the way I had mixed it back at the gym for specific consistencies. Thick, yet strong. "Shit, shit, shi," Lanky exclaimed, shuffling through his bag. He turned to me.

"I need"—he took a breath—"a Tourniquet." He stared at me, for a half-second, pulling his right hand over his bleeding left arm. "String… shot?" he asked. I was already working on it. I held my blade over my mouth as I slowly released the beginnings of a thin, yet strong rope, with only minimal stick. I needed to pull it tight—the cut was right at the joint of the forearm.

The air was filled with the scent of iron. I looped the string out, cutting off about a three-foot-long rope. I wrapped the first loop around his thin lower bicep, which he picked up the end of, having to massage the silk a bit. With my other arm free, I looped the opposite end around.

"Pull it tight," he said, gripping the other end of the silk-based tourniquet in his teeth. My silk was strong enough to hold a human. I pulled tight. There was a crack. "Gah!" Lanky cried, practically guttural.

"You're so strong that you don't even know," Lanky said, dropping his side of the silk into my leaves. Keeping it tight, I tied the loose ends of the makeshift tourniquet together. Lanky flexed his hand, the blood dripping out of the chunk I'd accidentally tore from him.

"That was almost quite the fillet," he said. I took a step back, and immediately fidget took my spot, Lanky letting out verbal winces as Leaf smothered Lanky's forearm in his own gooey silk.

"Uh, thanks, Fidget," he said, taking deeper breaths, a light shining through the front train car door's window before opening, a tall, burly figure stepping through.

"The hell happened here?" A sneasel stepped out from behind the man.

Leaf was already in between Lanky and our newcomer.

"Sorry for the mess," Lanky said, fishing through his bag with his right hand, his left arm going pale. More flashes, more screams, and sharp chirps, booms in the distance rattling our windows. They weren't made of glass, and didn't break.

"You gonna tell her to stand down? I know this is the battle sub but now's not a good time for battles."

"Fidget, c'mere. It's the conductor."

The man kneeled down. "Show me that arm."

My part done, and not really sure what else I could do to help Lanky, I turned away from them, instead watching the windows. I took a first aid class once in highschool as a human, but anything I knew with medicine revolved purely around my… breathing condition… If Oust had shown up, that meant—"leavanny silk. Clever. But you'll need a week's round of antibiotics. And a visit to the hospital. Those nutribars are miracles, and potions help if you're well-bonded, but you still don't want this healing in-place, kid." —if Oust had shown up, that meant—

"Name's Burgh."

"Burgh, then. Name's Korbin."

The sneasel hopped up next to me, looking out the window, as if to try and see what I was looking for. The lightning storm seems to have stopped. How much time had it been? Five minutes? Ten?

If oust had shown up—the dream had felt too real, even with the ripples—it meant the dream wasn't just a dream.

Just like the Volcarona.

I'd nearly nuked my brother's car.

Outside the train, screams of pokemon, mostly flying, continued to flutter about, judging by their silhouettes moving through the window. It was quite a night, little pings and echoes bouncing off the windows as they passed over us, fleeing what had been the epicenter of the electrical storm in the distance.

"Well, kid, you'll be fine for now. But you need a hospital in the next couple hours. The train'll reboot but we might have to wait for the Noibat flock to calm down a bit. Damn pests."

"Why'd we lose power? I thought everything on the grid was hardened against EMP bursts."

"It is, but after a certain threshold, EMP protection won't matter, so the grid and trains have emergency shutoffs."

"Like the pokeballs, I suppose."

Lanky's breathing was still coming in short breaths. I had cut the one person who was sticking with me. Nearly killed him. He deserved better than that. Better than me. I dropped, sitting back in the chair.

"You're self-isolating again."

Slouching, I splayed my arms out. It was useless. Why? Why did it have to be that specific memory? At that specific time? Thanks, Darkrai? But that hadn't been a dream, and dreams were his wheelhouse. Instinct? Wouldn't memories be under another god's wheelhouse?

Sneasel sank down next to me, mimicking my exact movements, complete with the slouch and splayed arms.

"You need water, kid. That's a lot of blood. Don't move too fast." The items in Lanky's bag clinked and clanged as he pulled out a bottle.

"Leah! It's okay!"

Lanky, still sitting on the floor, made to stand up. "Whoops, that was a mistake," Lanky said, sitting back down.

"Take it easy, kid. But I gotta go. Looks like the grid's coming back online," the conductor-guy said, pointing out the windows. Sure enough, little lights blinked on in the distance."

"It's going to be okay!"

I turned my head to the one mocking me. She stared into my eyes, her mouth mimicking the exact shape of the leavanny-v. I reached out. To her. And she mimicked my exact movement, reaching out with her arm. It was so stupid. She was so stupid. Why would a pokemon even do that? I waved my left arm instead. She waved her right arm, the motion following mine with uncanny reaction speed.

"Come along, sneasel."

Sneasel hopped off the chair, leaving me with simultaneously too much, and too little to think about. They'd apparently decided Lanky didn't need lifeflight, at least. Or, it had been too dangerous for lifeflight.

With the conductor-man gone, the three of us sat in silence. I didn't have anywhere to go. The lights for the train turned on, the intercom crackling to life. "Testing… One… Two… Three. Normally, we would have to wait for the Mass Outbreaks to calm down, but there is a passenger who needs hospital assistance."

Lanky looked at me. I looked away. The scent of iron was still strong in the air. Leaf had taken to poking at the Silcoon, sitting unmoving on their chair three seats down.

"It's not your fault, Leah," Lanky lied. "Look at your blades. They're sharper than knives. I didn't even let you catch your bearings after Minitina pulled you from the hole! You play with fire, and you don't respect it, you get burned. I… got a bit too comfortable."

The train started moving, fires sparking up in the forests in the distance. I just sat there, on my chair. Lanky pulled himself up onto the bench with a groan. The train began to pick up speed. He had a pack of berries in his hand, holding them out for me. His other hand not exactly operational, I sliced the top open, letting him dump them into my mouth.

"You know," Lanky said. "I was just so panicked, when all of the pokeballs released with that first surge, when you didn't come out of your pokeball, I thought your pokeball was busted… At first, I laughed. It was like, 'here we go again'. But then, the thought hit me just now. Something had happened, with that surge. These Z-crystal-things? The ones inside you. The ones the crazy guy was trying to tell us about? Did you go back? Back to your real home?"

I held up my arms, making an X, but I didn't shake my head.

"Is that a no?" Lanky asked.

I shook my head.

"Well, that's not a 'yes' and you already know what nodding and shaking your head are. So I'm going to say you don't want to talk about it." I nodded. "Well, Leah," Lanky said, sighing, scooting a couple chairs up from me on the subway bench, laying down. "That's fine by me" —he pulled a pillow out of his bag— "I could use the sleep. But promise me that one day, we'll talk all of this through." Lanky laid down, letting his head come up to my spot. The train's velocity had stopped increasing, maintaining a steady pace, blowing its horn for the first time in the trip, alerting pokemon to get away from the rails. The train's progress was at a snail's pace.

Oust had drawn me back. Back from hell. And yet, I couldn't help but think of Kael. My human, older brother. The one who'd gotten me playing pokemon in the first place. His wife Trisha, who put up with his posters and pokemon plushies adorning the shelves and the walls, and even learned enough pokemon to talk with us when we nerded out about it.

Leaf and Lanky were both asleep. If I fell asleep again, would I fall back? Back into the nightmare world? Back into the "real" world?

I'd once joked with Trisha that she had an old woman's name. Who was still naming their daughter Patricia in 1989 anyway? Turned out, her driver's license? Yeah, her first name was literally just "Trisha". She got that joke a lot.

I sat on the train, looking at the window across the way. Had I run from the nest? It seemed like such a simple decision to make. Leaving the nest. Like it had been obvious.

Even if I did return to the real human world, I still couldn't remember my actual human name. Would I knock on their door, say, "hey, I'm a pokemon now, wanna be my trainer, and come to the pokemon world with me?" No, No, because I couldn't even read, i couldn't even write—But hearing words had somehow clicked. It had clicked. Not the least the problem would be I would be leaving Lanky behind. I couldn't do that to him.

Lanky deserved better than that.

Chapter 63 - Rescue Mission

zoru22

Junior Trainer
~~~ Chapter 63 - Rescue Mission ~~~​

In a universe where the total disorder of matter, or energy, is increasing, Ice Type pokemon are endlessly fascinating. These creatures seem uniquely adapted to pulling the energy of the world into themselves, perhaps acting as natural temperature regulators. We find their fossil records, ironically, dated from the warmest eras of the planet's history. Periods of unnatural warmth for when they are the least adapted.

There have been experiments confirming some suspicions—Ice Types tend to absorb more energy faster the warmer the temperature is (within certain bounds based on species, expressed in the table below). They express physical agitation and restlessness when doing so. To the point many experiments had to be terminated early, but the data gathered was still valuable.

Still, we ask the age-old question. For Fire Types: Whence does the heat, the energy, disorder arrive? For Ice Types: Whence does that energy go? A Frosmoth brings a notable chill to an area of cold, but do not be fooled, "cold" is merely the absence of the chaos of heat. There is, only in the unscientific mind, an absence of energy. In this chapter, we will build on the basic physics from chapters one and two, and then the basic biologies we learned in chapters three to five, and now, we will critically examine the various organs within a subset of pokemon's bodies and attempt to explain some of these peculiarities.

Though this text will elucidate much of what we do know, do not be fooled—we are yet far from comprehensive understanding.

- Dr. Anton Colress, Mechanics of Pokemon Biology, Second Edition, Sixth Chapter

~~~​

Jacob's hair stood on end, the water and moisture in the air was proving to be terrible for the gods his religion revered. He'd had a bit of hope, actually, that they would prove as powerful as they were clever. But no, Elesa's Meloetta friend had waltzed through his endless dark voids. He was lucky to be awake, really, having been caught in that first wave of black. His noivern's uproar had not yet worn off.

The moon had dimmed and with one last crack of electricity, Meloetta drilled Darkrai in the chest, the static in the air causing Jacob to wince. He frowned- Darkrai was knocked out of the air, Meloetta practically dancing around as she flashed over the earth. Cresselia was about twenty feet away from her compatriot "god". She had been taken out first—her Moon's Blessing and general psychic ability to recover, her own body mending itself, had kept them in the fight for far, far longer than they should have been.

Watching them both, passed out on the ground, seeing Elesa congratulate Meloetta, Jacob's stomach was more than a bit sour. But also, it was kind of nice to see the gods—who hadn't even bothered to learn his name—actually lose a fight. But also, there was bitterness. The two gods had a group of people who were more than willing to help them fight and to train. He'd rationalized it away. They were gods. Top dogs. Why would they bother with the rest of the church?

Jacob thumbed his empty ultra ball, rolling it around in his hand, pressing the front button. Now, he was asking himself—Why had Elesa and Meloetta any better? A mega absol would tear holes through Cresselia's psychic defenses with ease. A mega lucario would give Rai a run for his money. And yet, their attempts at paying respect were spurned at every opportunity.

"Melly, it's over. Down time!" Elesa said, encouraging meloetta to drop the bursts of electricity.

As a good security guard and gym member—though he had no electric types (the writing was on the wall for his future employment at the gym)—he'd watched the battle from afar. Now, he was waiting for the electronic devices in the area to recover from the meloetta's EMP blasts. He'd even taken a few stray shocks, though managed to avoid any paralyzing static. He knew his fellow gym members slash security guards were on the sidelines. Rai and Cresselia were his gods, non-practicing though he'd been since he'd had his daughter.

Three women waltzed into the park, lights still out, illuminated only by the moon. The city had known Elesa had an electric meloetta and yet the grid still hadn't been appropriately hardened. The engineers in the power stations were probably being called in. Jacob shook his head, clicking on the pokeball repeatedly, waiting for its circuitry to reboot. He cursed the protection laws—strong-enough electric pokemon still managed to make pokeballs useless. Not everyone had been so lucky to put their teams in pokeballs in their hardened lockers, he was sure.

One more press, and his pokeball finally blinked, armed. Elesa had said she wouldn't catch them, but there the lunar gods were, in the middle of the park, paralyzed and knocked out. Pokemon had no catching laws, but the promises were off in the cities. Couldn't have the animals running around. Covered in electrical burns, both silent, the remaining static electricity caused the gods' muscles to twitch and occasionally spasm. What had they been thinking, fighting an electric type? Both gods would be considered supports in a more conventional battle format anyway.

Weak. Made a joke by a fucking two-foot tall meloetta. Gods vaunted, and worshipped, by his family and friends for their prophetic abilities. Sitting there, writhing on the ground. He watched Elesa turn, meloetta pointing in the direction of the newcomers. His gods had lost the fight. Elesa had every right to catch them. And yet, sitting there, the twenty-year-old gym leader did nothing, her face glowing under the light of the minor god that she'd convinced to tag along.

"Eeeuuuuueeee" Cresselia verbalized in her high-pitched, squeaky tone, craning her neck before falling back down to the ground. If Elesa wasn't going to catch them, someone else would. The two were not going anywhere any time soon. The three women who'd entered the park, had been followed by the duo with the espurr. A meganium was following behind them.

"Sorry ladies," Elesa stepped forward, blocking their path—were two of the women growling at her? "But no catching."

Jacob looked around, the city's lights beginning to flicker back on. Even if he did catch one of them, Elesa wouldn't let him get away with it. Even if he hadn't left noivern in his pokeball, anticipating a mass-release event… And if he did catch one, and managed to get away from the meloetta or the rest of Elesa's team, what would he do? He'd have the other one after his ass. Most pokemon you could train or make friends with after catching. But gods? You made friends with them first, then you asked them to join. He knew the stories when that protocol wasn't followed.

His frown deepened—Elesa wasn't tending to the challengers at all.

"Not here to catch, we just heard there was an electric god in the area, and wanted to check… These two have business with a particularly troublesome electric cat." The meganium was looking at Jacob, who sighed, sitting down on a chair from behind a cart, pulling up his bag.

Even if Darkrai or Cresselia had less firepower, and relied instead on sleep and dreams, making either of them mad would be far, far worse than a pokemon that would just kill you. Darkrai had a bit of a… sadistic side, at least in myths. Though meeting him that night didn't do anything to dispel the natural unease. The choice should have been obvious. Catch the god, put the ball into a box so the sensors wouldn't open them when it detected water—then throw the ball into a lake. Wait for the egg to show up, then raise the new-hatch.

Unregistered pokemon had no rights in the city. Elesa was still a new gym leader. She had no clout with the local justice system yet. But seeing them both lying there on the ground, passed out… He might have thought to catch one of them. However, with the meganium staring at him… neither the newcomers nor Elesa nor any of his co-workers, of whom there were at least three still watching, waiting to see what was going to happen. None were making moves to heal either Darkrai or Cresselia.

He'd brought a few potions, and had begun to carry anti-paralysis potions on him at all times. Jacob pulled out a few single-doses of both. They wouldn't be enough to heal them from the damage completely. He stepped out from behind the shadows, looking around. A fellow, newer gym member stepped out.

"You know, I think we're kind of lucky the digital pokeballs have timers on them," she said, Katrina. One of Elesa's new recruits, her Raichu following by her side. She held an ultra ball of her own.

"Elesa said no catching. Put the damn balls away," Jacob said, walking up to the gods, pulling out his four vials. Cresselia's eyes fluttered. Administering potions and paralyze-heal on powerful, fainted pokemon was always a risky endeavor. Well, at the very least, he wouldn't be falling asleep for quite some time.

"I saw you holding that Ultra Ball, don't tell me you weren't thinking of catching them."

"Can it, Katrina," he said, pulling the plug off the top of his spray. Electric damage was usually internal, and needed the pokemon to ingest it. "I suppose you're right about the timers. Forces trainers to actually have space for their pokemon. Not going to train an onix in a tiny apartment if it gets released from its pokeball in the middle of the night."

"Yeah, exactly!" Katrina said, smirking. "I'm impressed you're not catching them, honestly. I didn't know you had a soft spot for wild pokemon," she'd said, stepping forward, her raichu trailing by her side. He frowned, glancing over at Elesa and the three women talking, the meloetta, the glitching and sudden movements and dripping electricity now gone. He wasn't about to fuck with that demon any time soon. No rock types on his team. The note-like elements adorned Melo's were the only things flashing any more.

If this was what the new league's gym leaders considered an honorable after-battle victory, then—No, Elesa was just young, he told himself. Or she didn't bring any potions of her own. Not like she could take them to a pokecenter without catching them.

Jacob knelt down in front of Cresselia's form, passed out, her eyes occasionally fluttering. The smell of burned fur wafted into his nose.

"Give these two to Darkrai," Jacob said, thrusting out his free hand to Katrina.

"Uh, no? I'm not getting any closer to you. Hey, Tait! Jacob's getting buddies with Darkrai and Cress."

"Yo, Jake, what you doin'? You know they're free catches in the city if Elesa's not gonna take 'em. You're not gonna take Darkrai? Would be nice to send 'em off to a scientist and see if they could put a damper on that passive nightmare field. I bet your daughter's tossin' and turnin' tonight if the storm didn't wake her up. My ears are still ringing!"

"No, we're not catching them," he said. Fine, I'll do it myself, he thought, ignoring Tait's jabs. He popped a potion into Cresselia's mouth, using one hand to hold her lips closed so it wouldn't drip out. The bottle empty, he pulled it out, holding her mouth closed, tilting her head up, keeping her mouth closed. She was surprisingly fuzzy, even behind the electrical burns… His daughter would probably love giving Cresselia a hug. He knew she'd swallowed it when he saw her mouth muscles move, pushing the liquid down her throat. The potion down, he repeated the same process for the paralyze-heal.

Both potions gone, he waited a moment, watching her breathing return to regularity, her eyes fluttering and the random body twitches settle out. Once the ribbons extruded from her body stopped twitching, he knew she would awaken soon, so Jacob turned to Darkrai.

His… religion had had debates over and over on catching the lunar gods. They'd been caught before. His passive nightmare… field was different from the daywalkers and such trying to petition for dreams of bad futures.Darkrai seemed to be in better shape, at least visually, were it not for seeing the god get pile driven by a flying two-foot-tall missile, he would say Darkrai was probably fine. Jacob sighed, pulling up two more bottles. Darkrai's face and head was set so far back that he had no mouth. How the creature spoke would be anyone's guess.

If a pokemon had no mouth, protocol meant finding the next closest thing. Despite having no mouth, Darkrai clearly had many, many ways to scream. Darkrai only had his eyes. Cresselia just had a mouth and her eyes. Cresselia was lucky in that regard. Would Darkrai ever be able to eat, or taste? For the potion application, it had to be the eyes. Jacob poured a small splash of potion first, on the god's eyes. Then, the paralyze-heal. Jacob stood up, the waning gibbous moon, high in the sky emitting midnight light growing stronger than before. Cresselia's head turned to him as she hovered in the air. Was she smiling?

Darkrai's eyes weren't even open and he'd begun to float once more, his body righting itself. Jacob looked around for his fellow gym-members—both Katrina and Tait were gone. Cowards. He sighed. In front of him, the world shimmered. A hole tore open, a… red and black leavanny? Stood behind, the world warping, as distortion escaped, rolling through reality.

Darkrai's eyes open. "Excellent timing, as always, dear Oust," Darkrai said, his voice rhasping. Elesa and the three women went silent, watching as Cresselia also began to float. "We had fun, Jacob" —Darkrai gave a curt nod toward the guard—"And you as well, Selene, Tyler." Darkrai said, waving at the couple with the Espurr staring at them. "Unfortunately, we are on a strict schedule once more, I am afraid. Please, accept Cresselia's gift for the wonderful night. Adieu."

Darkrai had remembered his name. The lights of the city, the park, all coming back online. Jacob put his hand back into his pocket, and, under the light of the moon, twirled a pink, crescent-shaped feather. Well, he had something to give his daughter, at least. Katrina and Tait both returned from the shadows.

"Cowards," Jacob muttered under his breath, Darkrai and Cresselia both limping—if hovering in the air could be considered limping—into the distortion world.

"Well, with the power back on, and the Lunar gods gone, I suppose we should let the concert attendees out," Elesa said. "It was a pleasure to meet you three, Lyra, and?" Elesa held her hand out, smiling. The model/star's dance outfit had had no room for potions, likely not even a communicator.

"This one's Sam. The other one's Tiffany. Sorry, they're not much for shaking hands." Elesa held her hand out to shake Sam and Tiffany's hands, but they declined.

"So, uh, Jacob," Tait said, pulling his attention away from the gym leader.

"What?"

"The battle kinda stirred up a flock of noibat and noivern the size of a city."

"And? What am I supposed to do?"

"Well, you're the noivern trainer, and they're not native to Unova…"

He turned to Elesa, who waved at him, her meloetta following as they proceeded back to the concert hall. It had probably had energy for a few more blasts, but he wouldn't be surprised if Elesa's partner had burnt itself out from the excitement of a high-powered battle. Still, a blast of electricity would probably pull most of the screaming flock out of the sky.

"Why can't we just let the mass outbreaks die off? The battle, if you want to call it that, was ten minutes long." The moment he said it, realized how terrible the logic was. The size of mass outbreaks had far less to do with the length of a battle, than the total power and resulting noise.

"They've got a kid stuck on the train. Needs hospital evac. Told the conductor to take it slow because of the mass outbreaks of panicking pokemon" —a train's horn blared in the distance— "and so we could land on the roof and pick the kid up."

Jacob grit his teeth. Rangers would be busy deterring pokemon from the cities and stopping cascading stampedes through the entire area. And he was the only trainer there with two fliers that could hold a human. It was also convenient that they were both noivern—not likely to get attacked by the noibat and noivern flock if they were still fluttering about.

"Fine," Jacob said. Everything Tait said was grating on him, and Katrina wasn't even willing to look him in the eyes. He picked up his trash and bag and headed back to the locker room where he'd left his pokeballs. He grabbed a stretcher-tie that he could use to secure the victim. It could be tied to either of his noivern's back, or his bat's legs; they'd been trained in both. Pulling his pokeballs out of the locker, leaving the pink, crescent feather instead, he went outside and released both of his beloved bats.

Jacob had decided he wasn't going to get sleep any time soon that night. No one deserved to die just because gods decided to have a fight in the middle of a city.

Chapter 64 - Famous To A Seven Year Old

zoru22

Junior Trainer
~~~ Chapter 64 - Famous To A Seven Year Old ~~~​

We were sitting on the train, when we heard scrapes over the rooftop of the carriage. For a moment, I thought it was just one of the bats or pokemon flying around taking a landing. Well, I was half-wrong. The burly guy came through the door, but Lanky hadn't fallen asleep. Lanky's arm had turned pale. The conductor had joked that the tourniquet had cut the circulation.

Despite lying down, Lanky hadn't fallen asleep. I didn't really see what happened next—all three of us—me, the silcoon and Fidget, were all recalled. Inside the pokeball, my senses blurred once more. And I tried twisting, I tried churning, pushing, nothing worked. I could feel the mana inside me, even. But I could not get that last image of Kael, staring back at me in his black pajama sweatpants and tank top blinking back at me.

Or the feeling that I'd hurt Lanky. Or the feeling, the longing of emptiness that came from not holding a sewaddle or swadloon in my arms. Or carrying them in my sash. I'd wanted to help the kid. But I couldn't. I couldn't even decide on a plan and stick to it. Become the strongest battler ever? What a joke. I couldn't even remember my human name. Running away wasn't exactly working out, now was it? If there was one thing I could work on, to solve… It would be that one gap. Why could I remember Kael's name? Trisha's? Okay, I couldn't remember his kids' name, but I assumed that was mostly because was a terrible aunt.

Falling through the dream realm and finding me in a world that felt like a fake reality. It had to be fake. A dream. A world constructed just from a glitch with my dreams. I didn't have powers to open wormholes. That Z-Stuff? No fucking way did it drag me back home just because I lost my grip. I needed to talk to Darkrai. Or Cresselia. The falling had to be a fluke. A small part of me was only a little excited at the thought of seeing Oust again. If I were to, hypothetically fall through the hole. I only knew him for a few days, but for those few days… Oust was my kid.

I would try again.

~~~​

Burgh was sitting up, cold sweat dripping off his face in the waiting room of the Emergency Room. He smirked. He'd never had to wait to get a nurse's attention at a pokecenter before. But when he was in the Emergency Room, all of a sudden there was a line. He pulled out a nutri-bar. The damn things were miracle bars, when you were just tired and your muscles needed a boost. He didn't look forward to having the doctors fix his arm if it healed badly, but he needed something to chew on.

Despite the pain, and the headache, Burgh's thoughts had turned to Leah while he'd been tied, carried by the Noivern from the train car—he'd be stuck in the hospital for a day, just with the nasty cut in his arm. Probably a couple more just to make sure the silk didn't cause an infection. He'd already considered seeing if Lyra could help her work out her aggression. That was a no. Lyra was extremely competent, but he didn't exactly trust her methods. Lyra would probably beat on her until Leah had to go to the pokecenter and call it training.

Leah was already a bag of anxiety. He'd entertained letting Leah stay in the hospital's daycare area. But Jacob had said it was just an indoor kennel. And then, seeing how many people were in the ER that there was a wait time, there would be too many pokemon for a nurse to give one on one attention to. Leah would get into trouble inside. Especially when unwatched.

Leave her alone? Something would go wrong. Basically a law of physics. He loved her, but trust her? He did not. She would go stir-crazy and cause problems. Of that, he had no doubt. Confined spaces, the way she looked at pokeballs, her habits of escape artistry. Leaving her in the hospital would be a disaster. Her face never showed any emotion, always the permanent smile. But he could tell by her antennae and the way she tracked the poke—

"That's a bad break in your arm, kid," Jacob said. "And you let your Leavanny silk touch the open wound. The doctors are going to put you in bed for a few days. They'll isolate you until they know you're not infected."

"And?" Burgh coughed, his head throbbing, his left arm tingling, most of the blood gone and numb. He'd just be in the hospital for longer, causing the doctors more work.

He had already thought all that through, and didn't need to be told—he'd known what he'd signed up for when he made the decision to have Leah and Fidget help stop the bleeding and apply the tourniquet. Leah probably wasn't full of bacteria, but growlithe mouths were only so clean because their body heat killed most bacteria and viruses.

"What are your pokemon going to do? Sit in the chain-link kennels the whole time? Look at all these people. There's not enough staff in the hospital to take all the pokemon outside each day."

Even through the throbbing pain and growing pressure in his head, he turned to face Jacob, a man in his early thirties, scruffy beard with a lighter complexion that came with his choice of star pokemon.

"You want to take Leah?"

As much as Lyra was dragging him around, she was doing her own thing. He'd only let her drag him around to Opelucid because then the trip back to Castelia was a single straight shot south. Even if he was glad she'd mentored him for a couple days. Well. Even if he could let her stay with Lyra and Ho-Oh, he couldn't do that to his best friend.

"Yeah. I'd take the other Leavanny too."

Burgh felt his pulse in his forehead, watching the small crowd of people passing through, with various pokemon-or-accident-related injuries. The mass-release of pokeballs from Elesa's EMP blast had not been kind. But at the same time, the hospital was more organized and orderly. No one was yelling at the nurses or staff on duty, though one girl was crying quietly in the corner. Otherwise, his fellow patients seemed to be in good spirits despite the various broken arms and other traumas.

Not that he was complaining. School had trained him in what to do for basic First Aid, and seeing the priority and urgency queue in action? He'd be tearing up in joy if he weren't half-numb and half-headache. Sometimes, humans could be pretty cool, even when things didn't work out. For a moment, he considered saying no. It was risky—but, as much as he was loath to admit, he didn't really have any other options.

"Fine," Burgh said, looping his right hand to the left side of his waist, grabbing Leah's pokeball. He couldn't leave the ER in case the next operating room was open. "Leave me your phone number."

A lot had gone on, and she'd been panicking more and more frequently, no rhyme or reason. It hadn't been a week since he and Leah had seen a donut shot practically mowing down a slew of bugs. And he still needed to research what was going on with her surprise aggression against Fidget on the train. She was smart, yes, but Leah did not have a surprise streak of sadism, anxiety-driven or otherwise, that much, he was sure.

"Here," Jacob said, handing Burgh his gym card, picking up Leah's pokeball in exchange. "My personal's on the back."

There were only a few other people in the waiting room now. Well, everyone else left had come in after them. More than one with nasty-looking electrical burns. He didn't want to leave Fidget in the hospital's kennels, so he'd probably give Aurea or Alder a call depending on what the doctors actually said. He doubted they would really need him to be in quarantine, judging by how nonchalantly he had been guided to the waiting area.

"Arty-muss?!?" a nurse called.

"Here, take her shoes. And make sure to talk to her and tell her what's going on. She will panic if you don't. I'll call as soon as I can." Burgh said, scrambling to toss the Nuvema gym member Leah's shining purple shoes as he walked into the back hallways.

~~~​

"Sure thing, champ," Jacob smirked as Burgh was ushered to the back. The nurse had been run ragged, already rattling off questions before the door behind them closed shut. Jacob rolled Leah's pokeball in his hand. On the top red side of the leavanny's pokeball was a silver L with a silver heart, the paint scraped off down to the metal.

Jacob smiled. A lunar feather from the goddess of dreams? And now, getting to babysit the dancing Leavanny his daughter had spent the last few weeks obsessed over? He wasn't one to believe in karma. But helping people and pokemon out wasn't so bad. Walking out, he checked the clock— 1 AM—iIt was earlier in the night than he'd expected it to be, honestly. Not that he hadn't had experience pulling true late-nighters. He left the building, Leah's pokeball in hand. He stopped on the grass in an area well away from the entrance.

Macie was going to give him hell for being out so late when he got home. Assuming she was awake. No one else would be there to put her to bed. But, he needed to do one last thing first. If Leah could understand them, then he needed to avoid a scene. He clicked Leah's pokeball. The Leavanny emerged, before falling face down onto the grass.

He frowned. He wasn't a bug specialist, but most pokemon were brought out of the pseudo-stasis of the pokeball in their neutral stance, able to keep standing with ease. Or lying down. Both Leavanny had been fine when he watched as Burgh recalled them, back on the train. He wasn't super excited at the prospect of a surprise trip to the pokecenter, especially with how busy the hospital had been.

"You all right, buggy?"

~~~​

I had gathered up the mana. Then felt around, before using that same instinctual pull—my vision faded from a gray nothing, to black. I didn't question myself, instead, surfacing on Darkrai's ocean of nightmares, standing in the grey twilight of his realm, the blackness rippled under me, some splotches of it sticking to my body, leaf-blades and dress. The twilight ocean zone was empty. And I had questions. I was tired of panicking just because I had gaps.

A crystal dot of red floated in front of me. Before two red crystals, which then coalesced into a pair of blue triple-pronged tails, the crystals embedded in each. Staring at me with her two yellow ey—eee was yanked, back out of the dream realm, my body forcibly plunged under the sea of black.

I fell to the ground, lying outside in grass, feeling the outside of a large building. I opened my mouth, getting a good taste of the over-fertilized soil. The vibrations of the large city had returned. I'd just wanted to see Oust again. Or ask a question about my name!

"You all right, buggy?" A man's voice spoke. "You understand our language. Yeah?"

Standing up in the soil, grass and dirt, I turned to the man who was talking to me. The half-pokemon I'd seen was not Darkrai. Or Cresselia. Yeah, no, fuck that shit. I just wanted some answers. Not dragged on more tentacruel games. My eyes slid into place, and I was wholly awake again. I was in a small grass field, thick cover of trees, the vague hint of water and moisture in the air. I would rather take a month of— the man reached his hand out, snapping his finger in my face.

"Burgh said you understood language."

Towering over me, was a three-story concrete building, lights glowing. Presumably, a hospital? Lanky needed someone to patch up his arm, at least. It made sense.

"Well?" the man said, rolling my pokeball in his hands. "Do you?"

I nodded.

"Good. I'll cut this quick, because it's been a long night, my daughter's probably tossing and turning at home."

Lanky was—"Burgh's in the hospital. You cut his arm up pretty good, but said it was an accident. That true?"

It wasn't intentional, even if it was my lapse of judgement. So, I nodded. If I shook my head, what was he going to think? That I'd attacked a human? I could smell the Noiverns. The two pokeballs on his waist. My pokeball in his hand. This was the guy who'd picked us up on the train. Had Lanky given me away? I didn't see Leaf or the Silcoon nearby. Or smell, for that matter.

"Here's the deal. Your trainer's in the hospital. I work for the gym. The hospital will try to treat you well, but you'll be sittin' in a kennel with a sun-lamp. Since I recognized you both from the news the last couple weeks —damn paparazzi— you can stay with me for a few days until your trainer gets out. I've got a yard and some trees you can play in during the day. Burgh, your trainer, said that your mate" —I jolted upright. Leaf was NOT my mate— "not your mate?" —I nodded— The guy chuckled.

"Anyway, Burgh let you come with me. Your fellow leavanny will hang out at the hospital in the meantime. What do you say? Come, stay with me? He'll call in the morning, assuming he's not hopped up on painkillers."

The choice was between sitting in a kennel for a couple days. Or coming to the guy's house. It was only a couple days, right? Lanky had trusted this guy enough to give him my pokeball. I could trust Lanky. I nodded. If he was a part of the gym, I could practice my mana control. Or just fighting in general. I… wasn't about to pull myself into the dream realm again. That was just asking for more trouble.

"Excellent. Macie will be stoked to play with the 'dancing' leavanny. She's been watching videos of you dancing on that Castelia street nonstop for a good week, now."

Wai—I was sucked into the pokeball—he'd asked me to come with him just because he wanted to introduce him to his daughter? No.

I was famous?!?

Did being famous to a seven-year-old girl count?

Chapter 65 - Preparing For The Party

zoru22

Junior Trainer
~~~ Chapter 65 - Preparing For The Party ~~~​

"We're here, Buggy," Batty said—look, if he wanted to call me Buggy, I would call him Batty. Not that he ever gave me his name.

My sight flicked on. It was still night. We were in a backyard with a chain-link fence. The street was lit well by a few LED-white lamps. The synthetic tastes in the air of Kael's "neighborhood" weren't present here, even despite the cars. Pokemon world except for anville town seemed to have moved off of oil. Right. There were cars! Cars! On the street! I felt a puff of air by my face, and turned, hopping back, greeted by the face of a purple bat with giant speaker-like ears giving me a sniff.

"Arn," —the noibat perked up, but didn't turn to its trainer— "don't spook her."

Arn huffed, using its two black and purple wings to prop itself up as it walked onto the medium-sized lawn. It was smaller than Professor Juniper's, who seemingly had a whole acre of land for property, but the lots were still twice as large as the compact housing I met Lanky near.

"So, here's the deal, Buggy," Batty said, scratching the other noivern on the red v-shaped crest that adorned its head. "Macie loves pokes. She might cry, or she might be all over you. But, if you make her cry or hurt her, accidentally or otherwise, Arn and Orn" —the smell of thick berries registered on my antennae, and I turned to the source, a berry bush— "ch of you left for the pokecenter."

The noivern duo both walked in front of me, standing up. With one solid leap each, they jumped onto the nearby trees, climbing up onto its big extended limbs, before positioning themselves upside down. They extended their arms down onto the tall berry bushes, plucking a large berry each, eating it, before wrapping up their wings for the night. If Kael's neighborhood had an empty, artificial smell, these berries were on the opposite end of the spectrum.

"You didn't even hear that last bit, did you? Well, whatever. I guess I shouldn't have expected much from a bug. I'm going to bed. Keep her out of trouble, boys." Batty gave a wave before going back inside his house to the two bats giving him short chirps.

Two trees for two noiverns, who had their eyes closed. But as I twitched and moved, I could feel one or the other, adjusting their ears or head. I didn't want to sleep on the ground, in the open air, but I also wasn't going to risk a tussle with the large dragon-bats. Instead, I nestled under the bush.

Waking as the sky was turning from black, to a dark blue, sleep was uneventful. Nice and short compared to the prior nights' poor sleep. Dreamless. Not that I was complaining. I was still physically, mentally tired. The chain link fence around us was a little more than twice my height. I crawled out from under the bushes. I did a bit of a wiggle-dance.

A clunk on a window on the side of the house caught my attention. A small shadow visible, my eyes adjusted. I was greeted with the vague contour of a kid's face, pressing eagerly into the glass. I raised up my leaf-blade and waved good early-morning. The shadow of the girl — Macie? — disappeared from the window, leaving a fading fog from her breath and a smear from the oil of her face and nose.

Did kids really get up that early?

Well, I had— I would wake up before the sun, before my parents— grabbing a spoon of Not-Butter, taking a big gob and licking at it like a popsicle before running off to play. What kind of silly things would kids in the pokemon world get to?

I picked a couple berries off the bush, the noivern duo's eyes closed in the brightening morning sun, sleeping on their separate trees, before finding a place to chill.

Another skim over the patchwork battle-skirt, no real holes. I looked over my blades. There were a few thin patches, so I took the time to use my silk stores and some bush-leaves to patch them up, thickening the blades. It was mostly cosmetic, but it gave me a bit to do. The fence in the yard was chain-link, but most of it was in shadow. Only the roof of the house or the neighbor's yard would have much sun until the midday or afternoon sun. I looked up at the roof. It was at least four times my height, possibly five.

I didn't exactly want to find out if neighbors had pokemon of their own. Taking a step back, I noticed the girl was standing, watching me through the mostly-glass door, a hyper-colored rainbow pony/horse pokemon with an absurd amount of fur or feathers along its head and mane. Like a rainbow Keldeo? Printed all over her pajamas. Macie's hands pressed against the window, staring down at me. Again, I waved at her.

The girl was taller than me, I could already tell. She disappeared again, the curtain knocking against the window. I took a step back, my back brushing into the bush again. Refocusing on the side of the house— trying to get the best sun I could— and ran forward. I stopped, halfway through the yard, kneeling, and jumped, letting the momentum of the run carry me forward, putting most of my strength to jump up, my arc was good, almost — a thunk — my vision and hearing was noise, I held out my arms but failed to control my descent, hitting the ground, landing on my abdomen, my leaf-dress protecting me from being pinched.

At least it wasn't a faceplant.

Dazed, I stood up, and looked back behind me, the noivern that had been quiet up to that point were chirping to themselves, one of them opening their wings. The girl was staring at me through the door again, eyes wide open. The noivern flapped behind me, as I returned back to my task. I wasn't quite able to jump to the roof yet, but I was getting close.

If I had more sunlight, I would have had more spee

"EEeeey!" I cried, a burst of air rushed around me, and I felt a strong pull in the crest of my leaves. The Noivern flapped their wings, and I was lifted up off the ground, flailing, my headdress in the Noivern's claws— I was being up above the roof! A half-second later, the other noivern was chirping even louder, and I was standing on the roof of the house.

Thanks? I waved at the Noivern who'd lifted me up into the sun as their squeaking giggles cooled down. I was in the sun, at least. I pulled out a few leaves I'd stuffed into my cuff-links and got to work, making a little toy I used to make as a human kid.

~~~​

"Dad! Dad! Dad!" Macie cried, running to her father's bedroom. "Wake up, dad!"

"Hnaaagrgblbrgl" her father said, as his daughter climbed up onto his bed.

He let out a "Hmmmm?", opening his eyes just as Macie— "Gach!" he cries— piledrives him in the gut with her elbow. "Urrgh," he blurgles, sitting straight up. "I'm up, I'm up!" he glances at the clock, and his eyes shoot open.

"By the gods, Macie, it's Five-Thirty in the morning!"

"You missed it dad! The leavanny! She tried—" Macie exclaimed, her face lighting up "— jumping! Thought! So cool! She tried! The leavanny —" she broke down laughing, giggling to herself "—Then she —" Macie cried, stopping to take a breath between fits of laughter, tears in her eyes "— then! CLUNK! —" she continued in her laughing fits. "Then Arn—" she tried to speak, falling into fits of laughter as her dad laid back in bed, smiling.

Jacob, not understanding at all what Macie was saying, just sat, smiling at his daughter bouncing around, pantomiming flailing and jumping and dancing around on his bed in complete nonsensical fashion.

Eventually, when Macie calmed down, he asked, "Do you want to play with her?"

Macie's eyes went wide. "Yes, I want to play!" she huffed. "What kind of question is that?"

"You've been watching too many television shows when I'm not home," Jacob said.

"That sounds like a personal problem to me," she said.

"Definitely too much television, if you're picking up words like that." He reached over to his nightstand, pulling up his cellphone. "Have you had breakfast? Brushed your teeth?"

She was silent.

"Well, I'm up now, let's get ready for the day."

She was still silent.

"What?"

"No milk, dad."

He held his palm to his forehead. "You can make eggs or oatmeal without milk."

She stuck out her tongue. "I can't eat oatmeal without milk!"

Jacob rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"And we don't have honey or tea! Bugs like Honey and Tea!"

"What? How did you—" she smirked at him "—where's my pokedex?" He looked around his bedroom, not finding it.

His eyes opened wider.

Her grin grew wider.

"You little shit! I told you—" Macie was gone before he could get out of bed. She could hear him groan. She wasn't allowed to play with her dad's pokedex. At least not since the last time she tried cooking Arn and Orn new noivern berry recipes. Putting it in the dishwasher had cleaned all the sticky berry juice right off!

"Macie, fine," he said from his room. "I'll go to the store. What do you want?"

"Yes!" She whispered-but-not-really, grabbing a piece of paper she had already been writing on. Her letters were large and blocky, though she'd ensured every letter ended in "little" curls and hearts.

Her dad stumbled out of his room, barely throwing on a T-shirt. He held out his hand as she shoved her shopping-list at him. "Markers, sticky notes. Tape. Drawing paper. Purple food dye, two gallons of milk, three 'things' of.. eggs?" he looked at the seven year old, incredulous.

She smiled. Innocent.

"Honey, oran tea, orange tea, cherry tea, pudding, cherry birthday cake mix, cherry sprinkles, two things frosting… a bag of fertilizer?"

His eyes rolled down the list. It kept going. "How long have you been awake?"

"I'unno," she said, shrugging.

Jacob sighed. "Fine, but I'm not getting everything on this list. The leavanny's only with us until her trainer's out of the hospital."

Macie frowned.

"Leah," she said, pouting.

"Hmm?" He asked.

"Her name's Leah!" she cried.

"All right, all right! Leah."

"And she's gonna stay with us and we're gonna dance and we're gonna—"

Jacob just lifted his girl up, and gave her a hug. "Leah is a strong pokemon, and she needs to fight or she'll go stir-crazy. We can't keep her."

"But Arn and Orn—"

"Honey, just try to enjoy your time with her, okay? Let her be your friend? You haven't even got out of your pajamas yet, or been outside to play with her."

"... Okay," she said, tears in her eyes.

"I'll go get some of this stuff so you can have your little party with her before I take the bats and go to work."

"Kay," Macie said, wiping her eyes as her dad went to the backyard, calling for Arn. She ran into her bedroom to change and get ready for the day. She was gonna have a party.

And it was gonna be the best.

Top Bottom