• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Legendaries of the Present World

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I heard it is (or was, oops) someone's birthday. Hoped to get to this a little sooner but life got busy. But I'm still here! With how short and sweet these are. I think I'll try to cover them all.

The Original One
Okay. First off. I love the use of what appears to be a fully benevolent Arceus for a change. Like. I can enjoy a story with a neutral malevolent Arceus, sure, but it's a nice change of pace. I like that they recognize that their creations as imperfect, but also feel that those imperfections are what let the world grow and change. It's a very nice, positive outlook.

I also really like the idea that Arceus would want to do more than just observe their world. To see and feel and experience their creation. Maybe it's my religious background speaking, but there's something particularly… heartwarming and maybe even a little humanizing about the idea that an all powerful being would love us and enjoy our company. I think the way that Arceus just Knows that the first human they encounter has had a hard life kind of plays into that. They know things are imperfect. They know people struggle, but they still care about their creations all the same. It feels good, ya know?

The reactions of the humans, and even the other pokemon are also so, so good. I love the idea of a human pulling out their phone to snap a selfie with Arceus and just going like “uhhh…. So I'm here with God.” And I love that these humans are just… treating Arceus like a big dog. Lots of petting and snacks. It makes it even better that Arceus seems to like it.

All in all, a really cute snapshot. On to the next!

The One Born in Mew’s Shadow
Someone get this cat a therapist would also be an apt title, though it looks like Mewtwo’s already got that covered.

Not gonna lie, you kind of have to feel for him. The fact that his origin story had been blasted all over the news and made into a movie… talk about a lack of privacy! I can't help but wonder if the movie in particular even had his permission, or if they just did it. If they didn't have permission, then who knows how sensationalized it might be!

I like the little part where he's sitting outside the cafe and eating. Very cute. Is it a reference to Pokemon Cafe? Or just coincidental? I haven't played cafe in a long time and while I know Mewtwo can show up in it, I don't know much beyond that.

Also, I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of refreshing to see him realize he needs help and that, while he does hesitate and struggle a bit with his anxiety, he DOES manage to take that first step. That's a big deal and it isn't easy! He should be proud of himself!

My only critique - and it is minor - is that I kind of find myself wondering if he'd get more than a few stares, depending on how the media portrayed him. It was also entirely feasible for him to get anything from dirty looks to people shyly approaching and asking for his autograph or something like that. I kind of wish we got to see a little bit more of how he was depicted just to make the reactions of those around him just a bit more clear. But like I said, this is relatively minor. And overall, I enjoyed the story!

The Wishing Star
Hm, what can I say about this one? I'll admit, I'm struggling to find much substantial to say, not because it's bad (it's definitely not bad) but because it kind of wears what it is on its sleeve. It's a feel-good story with some melancholic undertones.

I guess I could touch on how cute and amusing Jirachi’s interactions with the TV are. I mean. If you slept for 1000 years only to wake up and discover such incredible technology, wouldn't you be enamored too?

And I do like that Jirachi gets a happy ending here. It’s just nice sometimes to see them get a happy ending. They’d been counting each day that passed fully expecting to have to sleep again at the end. Now that I mention that, though, I wonder if having Jirachi count down the days instead of counting up could have helped push that theme even further. They only have so much time left, and they want to enjoy it! Then suddenly, that countdown is gone! On the other hand, counting up does let you say that they’re still there on the eighth day. So it has its emotional perks as well.

Idk, just food for thought. Not much else to say on this one.

The Dauntless Shield
And so, we come to the current last snippet. I have to say. I find it kind of cute in a tragic way that Zamezenta thinks of battles. The way that he admires Leon for his sportsmanship and completely defeating without killing his opponents really speaks to the era that he’s from and implies a lot about what he’d been through before joining up with Hop without really going into the details.

And we see that again at the end when he’s playing with Cinderace (which, by the way, picturing Zamezenta doing the dog play-crouch is a really cute mental image). At the end, when he focuses on how sport and play can thrive (in place of the real strife and war he would have experienced.) It kind of puts Zamezenta in the place of someone who has been through and suffered a lot. He’s seen horrible things. But those things are gone now. And now he can finally relax and enjoy life. Maybe I’m reading into it a bit too much, but that’s the vibe I got.

Anyways, I think that’s all I had to say on this one, so I think I’ll wrap up here. I had a lot of fun with these. They’re short and fairly simple snippets, but they have a lot of charm. And sometimes, that’s just the kind of story I want. Thanks for sharing!

Nekodatta

Junior Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. koraidon-apex
  2. miraidon-ultimate
Ehi! I read this collection of short stories and found them quite adorable.

It's nice seeing various legendaries in a casual setting and I'm curious what you could write about for a lot of them!

Chapter 1:
This one was really wholesome and nice. It's nice to think that Arceus sometimes just wants to actually experience the world it has created, and I like that the characterization given here seems to pretty much reflect the canon one we got in Legends Arceus, that they do enjoy observing humans and Pokémon exactly because they are imperfect and impossible to predict.
Perfection leads to no growth.

Chapter 2:
This chapter was really nice in showing Mewtwo in a setting that's usually not explored. Most of Mewtwo's appearances everywhere are always emphasising its strength, not really paying any attention to the fact that maybe Mewtwo doesn't even want to fight.
Some Pokedex entries mention that it has a "cruel nature" buuuut the anime and movie portrayal have always gone the exact opposite direction so I've always felt that they were... Pretty much heavily biased lol, so it's nice seeing a Mewtwo that just wants to live in peace and is slowly managing to do so.
I do kind of wanted to see a bit more of the world this setting is painting, because a Pokémon sitting at a café with no "trainer" seems to be normal... Or at least normal for Mewtwo? So is he a kind of special case or supposedly any Pokémon could do it? It gave a bit of a dream - like vibe to it.

Chapter 3:

This one has to be my favourite, I immediately understood what the old man was probably thinking of as a wish. When you think about it, Jirachi's life is pretty tragic: awake for one week every thousands years, any human or Pokémon friend he would make in those seven days would be gone the next time he wakes up...
The old man actually got his wish in a way, because he treated Jirachi like his own child in those seven days, and will continue to do so now that he's freed!
I really liked this one, Jirachi's innocent view of the world around him makes it an extremely charming read!

Chapter 4:
I like that you used Zamazenta since it feels like it's the most overlooked of the two. It has a nice and cozy feel, I like that the most important/serious thing Zamazenta now has to deal with is meeting Hop's mom and chasing a ball ahah.
The last line feels really poignant, the world has changed from Zamazenta's time, and that's nice, a world like this is what they fought for, or at least that's what it feels like to me.

Top Bottom