• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Legendaries as antagonists?

Yiguandoa

Youngster
Pronouns
Him/his
To be clear, I don’t mean villains per se, but more of a nuisance.

So in my fic, I attempt to tackle this theme of ‘the legendaries are more trouble than they’re worth’. In other words, they’re Greek gods with all the pride, pettiness, and hubris. I want to show them as interfering in human matters, perhaps a bit too much, and as very petty (ie burning down your house because you don’t believe in). To be clear here, I don’t want to write this as a black-and-white moral issue where there’s a definitive good and bad side. There are legendaries who are genuinely good and want to (and do) help, but there are also legendaries which would kill you without a second thought if you said the wrong thing.

I’ll give some context here:

My fic is set in the Sengoku era of Japan and is about this Bismark-esque protagonist who wishes to unify Isles under one banner, either by peace or by war (mainly just war though). Problem is, legendary pokemon both good and evil get in his way. Be it immobilizing his forces, casting a disease on towns, or simply just try to kill him outright. Now I won’t mention the protagonist’s true intentions as I don’t want to spoil the story but I will say it’s a ‘for the greater good’ thing, meaning that he believes that unifying Japan through war is a better option than just letting be split apart.

Also, the legendaries’s ‘life force’ (so to speak) is dependent on belief. Meaning if that more/less people believe in them, they’ll be affected accordingly. Be it just simply being weaker or ceasing to exist outright.

Moving on, at first the protagonist is just indifferent to the Legendaries. However as they interfere more and more, he slowly but surely gets radicalized by this and starts to believe that more radical methods need to be implemented to counter them, most of which involve dealing with their followers.

Another thing I want to add is that RL religions are present here (yes I know it sounds crazy but just bear with me), and the protagonist believes in one of them, though he’s a secularist. I want him to have this sort of dilemma where although he believes in secularism, his only practical way of reducing follower belief is by converting them to other religions (because imposing state atheism would be far too radical of a solution). This would result in those religions gaining influence in the government and interfering in his secularist policy implementation.

One more thing I want to add is the absence of god in those religions. Now I don’t mean to offend anyone here, I just want to explore an interesting idea. Essentially it boils down to ‘Would you rather believe in flawed gods or a non-existent one who won’t bother or help you?’. That’s as much as I can say without spoiling the entire thing.

I want to know what you guys think of this idea how you think it can be improved, and what changed you’d suggest. Constructive criticism is welcome here.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
So you're writing a Conquest fic but with real world religions as well?

Reactions: K_S

Yiguandoa

Youngster
Pronouns
Him/his
So you're writing a Conquest fic but with real world religions as well?
Though Conquest and my fic share some similarities, It’s not based off of it. My story is more about the political and social issues the protagonists attempts to solve and causes as a result of his policies. So no, it’s not a Conquest fic. I haven’t even played Conquest!

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
So you're borrowing some format from conquest but modornized?

seems doable though a rare fandom nitch since a lot of readers/writers go the benign route... Except for certian mon that are designated as "always evil". In the last few years i've seen only two fics go the "evil legend route" mine and couch's. EDIT: so i totally spaced the one shot legend entry where mew and mewtwo were equally villianous... Mewtwo mass genociding lunatic and Mew being an obsessive amoral critter but i cant for the life of me remember.the fics name! And couch has a mix match of legend alignments...

Mine less so...

Honestly its how i spin my legends in transversal. They range from egotistical power trippers to tortured souls locked in lockstep with one role and no power beyond it. Perversly rocket, a human centric organization, cleaves to old human faiths... Which outside of rocket is considered blasphemy in most regions. Some of the bosses/rockets were catholic for example and mon users and worshipers are on par to satanists in thier eyes. The strength of that faction rises and falls per who is in power at the time ect but tjose semtiments run deep through the organization. It hasnt become a major plot point yet.. But theres hints in gios swears (he swears by saints where the dex holders swear on legend mon for example) and a few of his digs (one of the more meglomaniac mon is showing off gio makes a crack about thr book of genisis) but it becomes a point of friction much later on... But the man vs god/established hegemoy gets bigger as the tale goes on.

Honestly i wouldnt say radicalized from how you're describing the situation. Your protag sounds like thier cultivating long term amd wide scope survival mechanisms that might not only save thier neck but perhaps a region.

It is an interesting angle to scope it in terms of relgious conflict amd religious trauma... Hopefully your project goes well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom