• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon In the Land of Ascenrir - Arc I: A Blade, A Crown and A Heart of Steel

Introduction to Ascenrir

Akasura Shirone

To write, or not to write, that is the question.
Pronouns
Her/Yuki
ItLoA Thousand Roads.png
Summary: A defective celestial newborn, a betrayed ruler of a prosperous kingdom and a forcefully captured political hostage. Three Pokémon with different origins and goals were tied together by the thread of fate. With a destiny in sight, they assembled and fought alongside each other to reclaim what belonged to them and to end the one who wished to corrupt the land.

Warnings: The story is a mixture of mild description of blood, dead bodies and a couple scenes of romance that might appear as unsuitable for a few people. The settings of the story are based on the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon world, although not heavily, reader's knowledge of the functionality of a mystery dungeon and related items is advisable.

Author's Note: This is my first attempt at a long-fic and my native language is also not English, so mistakes are bound to happen. However, I will try my best to deliver to you readers the best chapters that I could possibly produce. And since I'm on the journey of honing my writing skill and vocabulary range, any criticism or suggestion is much appreciated. My update schedule would be around 1-2 weeks depending on how packed my learning timetable is. Hope that update timing won't discourage you from checking from time to time. Wish you have a great time reading through my work!

Prologue:
Ascenrir, a paradise for all the Pokémon created by the hand of Arceus. The earliest Pokémon there lived happily with each other, sharing the plentiful resources that were offered by this heaven land.

However, as time passed, those resources started to get scarcer and scarcer. The true nature of life began to take over this seemingly forever peaceful lifestyle. The strong stomped the weak, taking away the larger portion for their own. And thus, war was bound to happen. Armies were built upon trust and loyalty to a certain strongest Pokémon that their followers praised them. These armies soon established relentless wars around the region.

Arceus witnessed the chaos and decided to take measure in his own hands. With his sheer power, he ended the war, silencing the ones who opposed and divided the region into smaller parts. With that witnessed the beginning of the three kingdom era.

The Northern Kingdom took great pride in their grandiose icy mountains, a perfect place for the icy habitants to take shelter where blizzards accompanied their each and every step. The mountains opened up pathways for a complicated system of rivers to flow from between the mountain cracks and rush through the land, granting the terraces their needed irrigation.

The neighbouring Western Kingdom could even rival the richness in farming. Blessed with evergreen forests and fertile plains, the Western Kingdom was the tradepost of all the best and most valuable resources from all over Ascenrir. Pokémon everywhere flocked to this one place to share their discoveries as well as experiencing the serene lifestyle that the kingdom provided.

The formerly known three tribes from the East had merged themselves to become one unified land called the Eastern Alliance. Not as fortunate as the other two in terms of plantation, Eastern Alliance was mostly covered in desert. Sandstorm and the scorching heat weighed the steps of those who could not stand the extreme weather of the place. Yet, Eastern Alliance held numerous rumours and ancient maps that revealed unfound treasures. Daring adventurers always ventured to the land in search of a life changing fortune.

During the Ascenrir war, most of the residents of the Eastern Alliance had decided to leave the land to avoid getting involved in. They were the Solari and the Lunari tribe. Led by their chiefs to cross the ocean, they found themselves a new home under the guardians of Celestine Mountain. Similarly, a lot of refugees from the war fled further south and created a community for themselves in the place known as the Southern Isles.

When everything was thought to settle down, strange phenomenon started to appear all over Ascenrir. Countless deadly mystery dungeons began to appear from nowhere, trapping and killing innocent lives.

These mystery dungeons were rumoured to be the revenge of the souls that died in the war. They reincarnated as another lifeform, lurking in the complicated terrains of each dungeon waiting for their chances to strike. These souls, although bearing the appearance of a normal Pokémon, were actually discovered by the survivors of the dungeons to be unable to feel or have thoughts. They were more or less trapped inside the infinite loop of the dungeon, making them able to be revived when the dungeon recreated itself even after they were killed. Because these Pokémon could not think or feel, they just wandered around in the dungeon aimlessly, attacking everything to satisfy their living instinct.

The leaders of the countries knew they had to do something to tackle this issue. They decided to meet up at Eclipse Range, the largest mountain range of Ascenrir, which also served as the primary border to separate the three places apart.

There, they all came to an agreement to establish the Chronicle Union who would govern the three smaller Divisions built within the capital city of each country. These Divisions are Daybreak, Sunrise and Twilight Division belonging to the West, North and East respectively.

The Divisions would cater all the need for the Pokémon at that time whether it was exploring and reporting back what was happening inside those dungeons, hosting rescuing team to go out and provide support to those explorers or trading the valuables that the exploration teams managed to bring back from those dungeons. Operating independently, yet, these Divisions were bound to a list of written rules that aimed at protecting the life of the Pokémon working for the Division and ensuring that there remained no conflicts nor fights happening inside each Division.

As a result, the birth of the Chronicle Union provided the Pokémon around the region their needed job and offered a more well-balanced society. However, the peaceful period did not last long for the forces of evil from within each kingdom had arisen. They were lurking in the shadow of the aftermath, waiting for the correct moment to strike fear into the hearts of Ascenrir once more.

Last edited:
Chapter 1: Birth of a Blade

Akasura Shirone

Pronouns
Her/Yuki
Chapter 1: Birth of a Blade

"What should we name him?"

A thunderstorm raged outside their windows. The roaring thunder that rumbled across the pitch black sky could not even rival the crying of their newborn. A little Shinx hatched from his shelter, curled up and stared confusedly at his parents.

The Shinx's parents widened their eyes in surprise as the Absol father held his son up in the air. His son was not born normally. The Shinx was born with the blade part of his species. He turned to look at his wife with a mild concern, only to receive a caring look that spoke "That's our son! No matter how he looks, he's still our angel that we have to protect."

He heaved a sigh but was glad that they both shared the same idea. He put the Shinx down next to his wife, caressing gently the electric lion's fur. The Shinx's mother gave her son a light kiss on his forehead. A name ran through the Absol's head.

"Axel!" the Absol shouted. "We'll call him Axel!"

"Axel, that's a good name..."

The Luxray stood up gently and walked towards her companion, leaning her head against his. They cast a look at the atmosphere outside. The storm had lessened as daybreak began to arrive on the horizon, shedding its warm rays of light through the windows. The Shinx laughed joyfully, reaching his clumsy paws out trying to touch his father and mother.

The duo smiled happily, a smile they had not had for so long...

"Welcome you to this world, my dear Axel!"

"Stay close behind me, we're getting to the end."

Amber Woods, a small mystery dungeon sprung up from between Serenity Village and Suntouched Forest, held echoes of an ongoing fight. While having the title of a mystery dungeon, Amber Wood was home to mostly small, harmless Pokémon. Such conditions were the perfect place for our young Shinx to get his hand-on practice about dungeon crawling and hunting from his father.

The Absol led the way, followed by Axel. A pair of Pidgey jumped out from a nearby tree, commencing an ambush.

The Absol swiftly dodged the sweeping flight of the first one, sending a dark aura blade after it as well. The aura blade collided and the Pidgey fell down. He turned around and the other one had been toasted and paralyzed to the ground. Sparks of electricity lingered on Axel's body.

"Good work, son!" He praised, patting on the Shinx's head. "Your fighting skill has indeed improved."

"I did practice a lot," Axel answered sheepishly.

The conversation was cut short by more rustling sounds coming from afar. The two raised their alert again and headed towards the exit of the dungeon. The end was not as welcoming for them as a Scyther blocked their way. Its eyes were crimson red, a sign of a Berserker.

"Stay here, I-"

"No, Dad! I want to take it down myself!"

The astonished look on the Absol's face was shadowed by the determination-filled eyes of his son. He knew how strong this creature could potentially be that just one wrong mistake could end the life of his Shinx forever. Yet, after a moment of hesitation, he agreed.

"If you're in danger, immediately run back to me. You got it?!" the Absol warned, his tone showed caution.

Axel nodded and then came out of the bush, revealing himself to the Berserker. The Scyther spotted him and in a blink of an eye, dashed straight at the Shinx with its sharp claws held high. The anticipated swift swing from the Scyther was avoided by a quick jump from Axel.

Seizing the momentum midair, Axel charged his electric attack from his mouth and fired the beam at the Scyther before landing down. The attack landed and knocked the Berserker back a little, leaving a cloud of dust.

The berserked Pokémon would not go down that easily. It got up and lunged at Axel. Axel took a step back, the blade on his head hardened with steel energy as he blocked the slice from the crossed scythes. It was close, very close to be able to actually hit the Shinx.

With a flick movement from his body, Axel parried the assault, and then leaped into the air before striking down at the fragile mantis body with the steel blade.

It was fatal damage. The Scyther lay dead with a big hole on its body. The fight was not as easy as Axel had imagined, yet he pulled through, panting. His father, who had witnessed the whole fight, could not hold back his happiness at seeing that his son had grown up to be such a strong warrior.

Just the other day he was just a little Shinx playing behind him. But now, he was capable of taking down the Berserker on his own with his strength.

"D-dad, I beat it!" Axel coughed, still trying to breathe properly but a satisfactory smile showed itself clearly on the Shinx's face.

The Absol pulled his son into an embrace.

"I'm so proud of you," he whispered softly. "Come, let's get home. Mom is probably waiting for both of us."

"Dad, stop! I'm already wet from you dragging me into the water!"

The dim lights of a pleasant afternoon painted the river just outside of the dungeon with a pale orange hue. They did not call this place Amber Woods for no reason. Time was frozen to always stay fall near this place even if its surroundings had already witnessed the blossoming of the early spring.

The father and son playfully washed themselves after the journey through that place. It was not tough but it surely took their stamina to the test. The Absol dived into the cold water, his white fur glittered with silver from the water drops reflecting the sunlight. Axel stared at his dad in awe, wondering when he could be this majestic and prideful looking.

The Absol caught a glimpse of his son staring at him nonstop and decided to splash the Shinx. He smirked and then laughed heartily. Axel, being caught off guard by his dad from the attack, did not yield in the splashing. He pounced at the Absol, submerging both of them into the water stream.

Moments after, they just floated on the river surface with Axel lying on his father's belly.

"I'll become the strongest battler that no one can fight against me," Axel said, looking at the clear blue sky.

The Absol placed his paw on the Shinx's head. The electric lion's words reminded him so much about himself in his younger age, boisterous and daring.

"I'm sure you will," he replied with glee. "It's rather late, we should get going."

Slowly turning his body, he signalled his son to get out of the water.

"Run! We can't defend them anymore!"

An army of Berserkers marched steadily towards a half-broken bastion. The Pokémon guarding the place had put up the best fight they could to push back the relentless waves of the enemy.

Alas, there were too many, and their defense fell. The harrowing cry of the fallen ones resonated across the land, such agony. The general, in his final breath, wrote a letter and sent his most trusted soldier away. They needed to get this letter to the Division to let them know about the situation here.

"You have to live! We will carve a path! Go!"

The remaining firepower managed to pierce through the formation of the Berserkers, opening up a way. The message carrier wiped his tears and ran as fast he could. The general smiled for the last time before collapsing beneath the bloodthirsty Berserkers.

The letter shortly arrived at the Division, and in a flash, all the elite Rescue teams were assembled. Axel's father was a member of the highest reputable Rescue team.

There was a lunar eclipse that night. In a cottage within Suntouched Forest, a family of three was enjoying their peaceful night by the cozy fireplace. Suddenly, their door was knocked on. A huffing and puffing Jolteon called out the Absol's name, delivering him the summoning notice from the Division.

The Absol received the note and gave his wife a worried look. He knew this trip would hold high risk and a chance of him not coming back. The Luxray just rubbed her forehead against his gently and then pulled him into a long hug.

He then turned to signal the Jolteon to wait for him briefly. With a heavy heart, his wife had already packed all the things he needed into his strap bag. Within the cold embrace of the night, they set off.

"Mom, where did dad go?" the innocent Axel asked, pulling the tuft of fur on his mother's leg.

He longed after the silhouette of his father fading into the woods. His mother picked him up and put him into his straw bed. She then lay down next to him, stroking gently on the Shinx's fur.

"He went on a mission," she answered softly. "The Division calls for him."

"He will be back soon right?"

"In a couple days, I hope. Now, why don't you get closer so I can sing you a lullaby and we can both go to sleep?"

The reinforcement arrived as fast as they could. The vanguards went first with the most experienced Explorer teams, brute forcing their way through the corpses of the Berserkers. The enemies were not weak, they were capable of holding back the initial charge of the battalion.

However, with the drum of war resounding on and on, the heated fighting spirit of the whole Division spread like wildfire, empowering all the Pokémon that wished to defend this place. They charged again, and again, and again like an unresting storm that swept through everything.

"Let all of these brainless creatures face the wrath of our Division!"

The Rescue teams scattered through every corner, helping all the injured Pokémon they could find while fending off the few Berserkers that made it past the frontline. Food and bandages were distributed to all the resting camps that the battalion managed to set up.

"Back off you faulty creature!"

"We need help over here, medic, medic!"

The fight went on for days. The battlefield was dust and dirt, all baked under an unrelenting sun. To the Pokémon from the Daybreak Division, it felt more or less like those monster houses in the dungeons they had traversed where danger lurked in every action.

A sour wind swept the stone wall of the bastion and the ground was slick with the recent rain. The Division stood in formation, four rows were all they had and all they ever needed. Their eyes fixed on the path that was paved with blood of the Berserkers. The final horn of war echoed. Their answer had come. They had won the fight... or had they?

As every Pokémon rushed to hug whoever they could find to cheer for the event, a horrific news reached the Division leaders. This was all just a misdirection.

Author's Note (12th Feb 2023): Fixed a couple grammatical errors and thanks Negrek for the in-depth review.

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Welcome to the forums! Always fun to see a new PMD fic posted. I enjoy the high fantasy atmosphere you have going here; it's one that feels especially appropriate for the mystery dungeon world, where you have all these powerful legendary creatures and (at least in the first couple games) a relatively low level of technology.

And I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of dungeons supposedly arising as the revenge of unquiet souls. The "dungeon pokémon are spirits" take is one that I don't see often but which I rather like. It neatly sidesteps all the weirdness of characters beating up (or possibly even eating!) what in many respects seem to be pokémon just like them. The idea that they're the souls of pokémon who fell in battle and are out for revenge is a fun and somewhat creepy twist. And from the description, the "Berserker" pokémon sound something like the alphas from PLA? All in all there's some cool dungeon worldbuilding here, and I look forward to seeing more of how you handle

I quite liked the first chapter; it's a bit unusual to start off with what's presumably going to be our main character spending time with their family, but I liked it as an opening. You get a real sense of the sort of carefree life Axel's had, and the strength of the relationship he has with his parents--which I imagine he's going to lose soon. Getting to see the actual interaction between these characters gives us a bit of a personal connection to them that means when we, and Axel, have to leave them behind, it hits us a bit as well. We're definitely ending on an ominous note, here--I don't give Axel's dad good odds, but I wonder if Axel himself is going to get caught up in this particular war or if there's another quest for him out there.

I'm not as sure about the prologue, which is a whole history lesson condensed into a thousand words or so. On the one hand, it is consistent with the genre; it's not uncommon for fantasy novels to start off with a bit of background lore like this. On the other, I think it's an aspect writers are usually warned away from, as it can be hard to hook your reader in if you're not showing off any of the story's actual characters or setting rather than providing background information. For me it probably would have worked better if you'd gone straight in with Chapter 1 and introduced some of this history gradually throughout the story, once I was already invested in the world, or maybe broken it up and provided it in bite-sized chunks leading off each chapter--something to distribute it throughout the narrative more rather than having it in a big chunk right at the start.

You mentioned you were hoping to improve your English, so I've included some comments on the prose under the spoiler below for you. One thing you could look into doing is finding a beta reader to help you out with these sorts of mechanics as you're learning them. You're doing a great job already, though; you're really capturing the high fantasy feel here, and doing some nice character work, too.

I think you've got an interesting opening here, and I look forward to seeing where you end up taking the story! Thanks for sharing this with us, and I hope your writing's going well. If you're interested in reading other PMD fics that have a similar high fantasy atmosphere, I think Dual Wills and The End are worth checking out!

unctuous land.
"Unctuous" means slimy, oily, unpleasant--not the vibe I think you were going for.

The true nature of life began to take its cycle in this seemingly forever peaceful lifestyle.
I think what you're going for here is the feeling that a natural order of strong dominating the weak was emerging, but "life began to take its cycle" reads oddly.

Army built upon trust and loyalty to a certain strongest Pokémon that their followers praised them to be soon established relentless wars around the region.
This sentence seems to be packing in too much information--there was a particularly strong pokémon who abused the loyalty of their followers to build an army and begin a series of wars?

The mountains opened up pathways for a complicated system of rivers to flow from between the mountain cracks and rush through the land, granting the terraces its needed irrigation.
Because "terraces" is plural, you want "their needed irrigation" instead of "its needed irrigation."

Not as fortunate as the other two in terms of plantation, Eastern Alliance was mostly covered in desert.
A plantation is a thing, a particular kind of farm. Perhaps you meant vegetation?

Operating independently, yet, these Divisions were bound to a list of written rules that aimed at protecting the life of the Pokémon working for the Division and ensuring that there remained no conflicts nor fights happening inside each Division.
The use of "yet" here is unusual. Typically you'd write something like, "Although operating independently, these Divisions were bound..."

He put the Shinx down next to his wife, caressing gently on the electric lion's fur.
This should be "gently caressing the electric lion's fur"--you caress fur, you don't caress on fur. Likewise you pat someone's head, you don't pat on someone's head; you gently stroke someone's fur, you don't stroke gently on someone's fur. Unfortunately this isn't a consistent rule, since you do, for example, lay a hand on someone's shoulder, but the construction you use here is one that sounds odd.

The duo smiled happily, a smile they had never had for so long...
I think the idea you're trying to convey here is that it was "a smile they hadn't had for a long time. "They had never had for so long" sounds off.

Having the title of a mystery dungeon, yet, Amber Woods was home to mostly harmless small Pokémon.
The "Having... yet" construction here sounds odd. The more familiar way to render it would be, "Amber Woods, while having the title of a mystery dungeon, was home to mostly small, harmless pokémon."

A pair of Pidgeys jumped out from a nearby tree, commencing an ambush.
In official pokémon media the singular of a pokémon species is the same as the plural, so one pidgey, a pair of pidgey, a trio of pidgey, etc.

voice cautiously
"Voice" isn't a verb, so it can't be modified by an adverb like "cautiously." You could use something like "speaking cautiously" here instead.

His father who had witnessed the whole fight could not hold back his happiness seeing that his son had grown up to be such a strong warrior.
"Who had witnessed the whole fight" is an aside that could be removed from the sentence without changing its meaning, so you would set it off with commas: "His father, who had witnessed the whole fight, could not hold back..." Also, it sounds more natural to say "happiness at seeing" rather than just "happiness seeing" here.

He pounced at the Absol, sending them both submerged into the water stream.
The back half of this sentence sounds a bit strange; something like, "He pounced at the Absol, submerging them both" would read more smoothly.

An army of Berserker marched steadily towards a half broken bastion.
An army is made up of many individual Berserkers, plural, so you want "army of Berserkers" here. Whenever you have a phrase that modifies a noun (here, "half broken"), you hyphenate it: half-broken bastion.

The remaining firepower managed to pierce through the formation of the Berserker, opening up a way.
"Berserkers" again here.

"Mom, where did dad go?"

The innocent Axel asked, pulling the tuft of fur on his mother's leg.
There shouldn't be a paragraph break after that dialogue--it should read, "Mom, where did Dad go?" the innocent Axel asked, pulling the tuft of fur on his mother's leg.

Chapter 2: A Broken Blade

Akasura Shirone

Pronouns
Her/Yuki
Chapter 2: A Broken Blade

“Ready to set out?”

Suntouched Forest, where light gently tapped on the dense foliage, playing with the early spring breeze, held residence of a small cottage by the river. A small voice echoed from afar, calling to the owner of the place.

From within the humble settlement, Axel emerged, stretching his body. The early morning greeted him back with dim rays of light shining on the back of the electric lion.

The yawning Pokémon took a step towards the river, washing itself over the glistening warm water. The nearby flowers that his father adored and were grown from the early days sent its scent with the wind, lightening up the already picturesque scenery.

“Being an early bird for once, aren’t you Skarn?” Axel said mockingly.

From opposite where the Shinx was, a Squirtle beamed, rubbing its nose.

“It’s Harvest Festival, you lazy Shinx! Of course I have to get up early,” Skarn yelled excitedly. “Besides, lady Katrina asked me to send you a new cloak since, apparently, you tore apart another one.”

“What can I say?” Axel replied, shrugging. “It’s a bit too tight, especially for this blade.”

“I still can’t get used to the fact that you are the only Shinx I know with the crescent blade of an Absol.”

The Squirtle swiftly slid down from the mossy dune he was standing on. He then handed over the newly woven cloak to the Shinx who just finished his daily routine.

“Mom said it was a gift from the Legends,” Axel spoke while preparing his strap bag and putting on his cloak to cover his blade.

“And it’s indeed the gift of the Legends.”

A Luxray suddenly appeared behind them. She had been hearing their talk for quite some time from the back of the house. She then handed the Shinx his white scarf, gave him a kiss on his forehead and rubbed it gently.

“Remember to get back before dinner time.”

“I will, Mom.”

Meanwhile, during the whole heartwarming moment, a Squirtle impatiently waited while tapping its feet constantly on the ground and also frowning.

“We're gonna miss all the fun stuff at the square you know?” the Squirtle spoke, slightly annoyed. “Race you to the place then!”

“Hey, wait up! Aren’t your kind supposed to be slow?”

“Yeah yeah yeah, I get that a lot. Now who’s the slow one?”

As the cottage began to leave their sight, the duo proceeded to share small chatters with Skarn doing most of the speaking while heading into the woods.

Serenity Village, a peaceful place for whoever wished to find relief from the fast and crowded pace of a hustling town, was the destination of the two. Small as it appeared to be, the lifestyle was actually moderately vibrant.

However, today was a special day, a Harvest Festival.

Everything was lit up and alive around the village. Beautiful decorations with strings filled with differently colored flags were hung from house to house. One could even taste the freshly picked berry pie scent scattering through the faint wind and not to mention, the cheerful laughs presented themselves brightly on every face. A festive atmosphere wrapped tightly, bringing together a dearly bonded community.

“Skarn, look at this one!”

The pair joyfully ran from places to places, admiring all the beauty of the festival. Endless baskets full of berries, a signal of a successful harvest season, were lined up along the whole village square.

“Ah, good day to you, miss Lidia!”

The duo stopped before a bakery, apparently captivated by the sweet smell. An Audino emerged from the counter, greeting them back with a warm smile.

“Good morning, you two,” she replied. “Would you care for a piece of cake?”

“Definitely!” Skarm immediately jumped at her with sparkling eyes.

Miss Lidia turned around and brought out a delicate Sitrus cake with a mild Tamato frosting. She then cut a piece and handed it to the eager Squirtle. The turtle dived directly into the cake without saying a word.

“Thank you, Miss Lidia! Your cakes are always the best!” said the stuffed Skarn.

“Miss Lidia, have you seen lady Katrina today?” Axel raised a question.

The Audino stopped for a moment, pondering, “Hmm lemme remember… I think I last saw her when she was about to leave for the square. Maybe you should go there to check it out.”

“I will, thank you,” the Shinx replied while grabbing his friend to the door.

“Wait, I haven’t fin-“

Just as they were about to leave the place, the Audino called out.

“Hold on!” She rushed at the two, holding a piece of paper in her hand. “Your father asked me to make a cake for him earlier today, tell him to give this paper to me when he wants to collect it.”

The Shinx took the paper and put it into the strap bag. “I’ll give him when he comes back. Hopefully soon…” His eyes trailed off into the distance, saddening.

“Now off you go, have fun at the festival you two!”

“We will!” they said in unison.

“Look, they are about to perform the dance!”

A large crowd had already gathered at the main square. The paved path of land engraved with sun and moon symbols was quickly surrounded by festival goers and dancers. Some Pokémon even climbed on the higher floors of the nearby houses just to get a more voyeuristic view of the event.

Skarn and Axel took advantage of their small appearance to squish through the packed crowd and made it to the front line to get the closest view.

And so it began.

Bellossom family started the show with their traditional sprouting ceremony. A graceful showcase of blossoming buds despite harsh conditions.

They are followed by the fire breathing performance of the Emboar brothers who always managed to surprise everyone with their brilliant techniques. Fire being controlled skillfully gave countless standing ovations and cheers among the crowd.

As night began to fall, the most awaited performance was ready. The town's most experienced fighters, Luxray and Absol, performed the traditional “Day and Night” battle. Axel’s eyes shone brightly, fixing onto the rhythmic swings of attack back and forth.

He knew he had the strength of both, the strong electric current surging through his body and the sharp, swift and precise blade that cut through stone. He had always dreamt of the day that he would be able to harness the power that was given to him.

However, the fun did not last long.

“Run! The Berserkers! They are coming!”

A terrified yell put a stop to all the actions. Thunderous roars signaling grave danger echoed, piercing through every existence. Fear crippled onto the faces of the festival goers when they saw a bloody figure slowly walking towards them.

It was the guard. The defense had fallen.

“No, it can’t be-“

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh!”

Screams were all that could be heard. Pokémon after Pokémon, they began pushing, shoving each other in complete horror. Staying alive was their utmost priority.

A Rhydon was snarling nonsense, scissoring his arms, rampaging his way past an old lady Oranguru. The paw fur of a little Fennekin was torn in her father's panicked grip as she howled, red-faced. Several lay still, life gone from them, victims of the stampede.

In the midst of the crowd, the duo was crushed, thrown around. Skarn could not believe in what had happened. He collapsed, totally horror-struck. Seeing his friend was not capable of thinking straight anymore, the electric lion clenched his teeth and dragged the Squirtle away from the rampage.

“Skarn, no! Stay awake! We need to get out of here!”

Skarn was jolted awake from the slap of his friend. He regained a little composure, nodded and then followed the Shinx. Realization struck the young Squirtle.

“What about my parents? My parents!”

Skarn suddenly escaped from Axel's paw and then ran off towards the direction of his house. Our lion wanted to hold back his friend but it was too late. A group of Pokémon running for their dear life cut the duo off. With the Berserkers chasing after, our Shinx gave up the follow and ran towards his cottage.

“Everything is gonna be fine… Everything is gonna be… fine…”

He mumbled the sentence over and over again as he was running through a small alley leading out of the village. He eventually reached a chokepoint. Unbeknownst to him, the presence of a Berserker had already been looming around the corner.

“I should be safe from h-“

It lunged at him. The hardened steel blade managed to block the sudden attack. However, the strength of the Berserker who was twice as large as him easily weighed his footing to the ground. Axel pulled all his remaining strength to parried away the attack, but he did not anticipate the second charge from behind. Fangs of the Berserkers sank into his body.

Cold. The pain came so swiftly he could not even feel a single thing. Images flashed before his eyes. He unknowingly smiled, tears rolling across the unfortunate fate. The red eyes wanting to swallow him appeared from every corner. They smelled blood, they were craving for it. They had always been.

The bloodthirsty creatures approached quicker and quicker every second. His demise was set.

Strangely, the awaited death did not come. He heard a clean slash sound.

“Son, son! Wake up!”

He tried his best to open his eyes. An Absol with its blade covered in crimson blood of the one he killed. He recognised this Absol.

“Dad…”

“Thanks, Arceus! You’re alive! I thought I was too late!”

Short reunion did not last long. More enemies were coming. The Absol hurriedly picked his little Shinx up and put the dying cub on his back.

They always said immeasurable strength prevailed in adversity. Such strength could move mountains, fill oceans, and do the impossible. However, everything would eventually reach its limit.

They made it back to the cottage. The Shinx’s mother was waiting for them at the front door. She shed tears, covering her mouth from the shock when her son and husband made it back alive.

She immediately helped move Axel onto his straw bed and tended to the bleeding wound. He was severely struck on its back. Despite that, the bandages from his mother did a great job holding the wound from bleeding too much.

After making sure everything was fine, she joined her husband who was on a lookout into the forest.

“Thanks, Arceus! You two are fine!”

She hugged him tightly. The Absol bit his lip, still keeping an alerting gaze at the forest clearing. Horrifying thoughts filled their heads.

“Neoma…”

She called out to him. The Absol touched his forehead gently on the Luxray’s mane. He gave her the most loving gesture of a partner who had gone through everything side by side with her.

“The Division told me to come back as soon as I could. Fate has never been easy on us,” the Absol whispered. “I’m scared for what is to come.”

He hesitated a bit before putting his firm grips on the Luxray’s body, pulling her closer into an embrace.

“No matter after what happened today, to the end of the world, I’ll still be your lover, my dear, Niva.”

The outburst from the Absol sent tears rolling down even more from his life companion. The Luxray knew what was going on. She was frightened but already anticipated the event.

“You’ve sacrificed too much for me already.”

Niva gave the Absol a few pats on the back, rubbing his matted fur.

“We have to go now, they are coming.”

Sound of rustling leaves and cracking branches thickened. The used to be serene forest had never been this uneasy and eerie. Howling winds roared as if it wanted to tear down the place. The trees were swaying uncontrollably from side to side. A storm was drawing near.

Growls and heavy steps echoed through even the thickest foliage. They were near, very near. Figures with crimson eyes trod their way out into sight. The Berserkers already caught up to them.

“Neoma, what should we do now?”

Not a single valid option went through the Absol’s head. He knew if they caught up, his family would die. He had to create a diversion.

“I’ll stall them.”

“No!” the Luxray yelped, “I don’t want to lose you!”

“It’s the only way to keep you and him alive.”

“No… we can make it, just a bit more.”

The Absol shoved his partner ahead, creating a wall in between them. He readied his battle stance, dark aura forming around him.

“Go!”

Niva was stunned. With a heavy heart, she carried her son and ran deeper into the forest. She wanted to look back, but she could not. She had to move forward. She cried, desperate tears. Memories of him flooded back to her.

"Did I tell you I love you, Niva?"

"Yes, but say it anyway."

"I love you."

Large explosions followed her paw steps. She ran as fast as she could. Still, her speed was no match for the Berserkers. A fireball from between the trees was aimed at her. And it landed.

"Do I make you happy, Neoma?"

"Everyday of my life."

"I'm lucky to have you, Neoma."

"No, I'm the lucky one."

She fell down, collapsed from the pain. She did not give up. She slowly got back on her four. She had a son to save. The thought of keeping her son alive strengthened her. She just had to reach the next town. Just a little more, so she thought…

Rain, to cleanse the suffering, a rain had fallen onto the miserable fates. Deep within the forest, next to a hollow tree trunk, a figure of a Luxray lay, bathing in the crimson water.

“Stay alive my dear, may the Legends guide you through the end. My dear, Axel…”

Chapter 3: Windswept Village

Akasura Shirone

Pronouns
Her/Yuki
Chapter 3: Windswept Village

"So, this is the little Shinx you have been telling me nonstop about?"

In the waning downpour of a spring night, two levitating figures stared into a scorched tree trunk that was put out by the rain. One touched the fur of the electric lion, the other heaved a sigh at the sight.

"Apparently a Luxio now. Poor thing. He went through a lot and even evolved during all of that."

"If older brother didn't bless him with this power, I doubt he would be able to survive."

"So, what should we do now? Leaving him like this just gets him into more trouble. Besides, we also promise older brother to protect him no matter what."

The two looked at each other with hesitation. The early light from dawn already showed itself among the leaves.

"The best thing now, I believe, is to get him somewhere safe. Here's what we're gonna do…"

The mild brightness caressed his eyelids, waking him up from his seemingly eternal slumber. He blinked a few times, the wooden wall greeted him back. Axel found himself lying on a straw bed next to the window. Worried and confused, he slowly got back on his four.

"W-Where am I?"

He staggered as a sharp pain ran through his head. He wanted to remember something but he could not. The only image that was left inside him was the sound of explosions followed by a deafening scream.

A sudden breeze brought a shiver down his spine. He stood frozen for a while. The peaceful atmosphere somewhat brought relief to his heart. He calmed down, trying to recollect his broken memory.

"You are awake!?"

A Feraligatr walked in from the door, carrying with him a basket full of berries. The gator ignited the fireplace, apparently trying to make breakfast. Axel gave him a perplexed look, not sure how to act.

"Name's Razor," the Feraligatr spoke. "Found you out cold in the forest clearing, rough night, isn't it?"

Just as the Luxio was about to respond, Razor pulled out a small chair. "Take a seat, the meal is almost done."

Axel nodded and then sat down. A bowl of stewed berry with a fragrant scent of herb was handed to him. His stomach rebelled against him, giving Razor a small chuckle. The Luxio accepted the dish and ate it eagerly. Razor shook his head with a defeated smile.

"So," he said as he cleaned the plates, "mind telling me who you are?"

"A-Axel," Axel answered timidly.

"Do you remember where you came from? You don't seem to be native to this place."

Axel's eyes widened. A sharp pain ran through his head. The last thing he could vaguely remember was the image of a scorched tree trunk in the forest.

"I don't…"

Seeing the Luxio struggling to put two and two together, Razor decided to not push the topic further. "At least you still remember your name." He then kindly suggested, "I'm heading out to Windswept Village, wanna tag along?"

Left with no other option in the current position, Axel nodded.

"By the way, you might need this." The gator threw a piece of cloth at the Luxio. "Town peeps are gonna freak out and start asking me stuff if you walk around with that blade of yours."

"And before you start asking how I'm not "freaked out" yet? Yes, I've seen more bizarre cases."

Windmills, the distinctive feature of Windswept Village, were always a sight for sore eyes for weary travellers. The wind here guided its habitants, offering power and cleansing burdened souls.

The town was blessed by mother nature, being surrounded by mountains whose tops were always covered in a thick layer of cloud all year round. The mountains acted as a border, separating the town from the rest of the world. Yet, the Pokémon who lived here treated them as protection walls and received enough supply to sustain themselves through growing berries.

The terrace-like terrain of the town gave way to an interesting design of pathway. Overgrown bushes swayed gently on the sideline of the stone paved stairs, leading directly towards the largest windmill in the middle of the town.

"Morning Razor!"

Several greetings were shared along the way the duo traversed. From the way the locals treated Razor, Axel could tell that everyone around here really looked up to the blue gator. This just piqued his interest even more about this place and the position that Razor held within the town.

"Ol' Razor, how's your day?"

Their concentration span was cut off by a large shout. A Conkeldurr waved at Razor and Axel from the entrance to the windmill. He descended from the stairs, carrying a box full of metal tools with him.

"Same as usual, Gorgon." Razor gave Gorgon a handshake before patting on his left shoulder. "You're still trying to fix that damn thing?"

Gorgon shook his head slightly, "That thing has lived for far longer than it should, ol' friend. I'm surprised the machine inside is still running." Gorgon then took notice of the Luxio standing next to Razor, "And who might ya be?"

Axel timidly hid behind Razor, peeking at the tall Conkeldurr. Razor gave Axel an assuring look, "This is Gorgon, he's the town builder. Most of the houses and windmills around here are all his work."

Gorgon laughed heartily, "Haha, if ya ever need a hand fixing stuff just call me."

"About him, prolly another refugee," Razor said, looking at the Luxio. "We've had several of them washed up to this place. Found him unconscious last night while I was patrolling Livra Woods."

The Conkeldurr nodded, "It's true that more and more of these kinds of Pokémon end up in our town these days. Take him to Meoni, then. She should know what to do."

"Will do."

Just as Gorgon left their sight, curiosity took the best of the electric lion.

"Who is Meoni that he's referring to?" Axel asked.

"That's our town elder, or at least that's what we respect and call her so," Razor replied, walking towards the large windmill with Axel following just right after. "You will be surprised when you know who she really is."

The largest windmill stood proudly amidst the mist and clouds and the evergreen terrace that shaped the town. One could get intimidated by how massive it appeared to be, yet the shattered wood and grayed out columns reminded about the time that it had withstood.

Past the entrance revealed the massive structure that put the thing into motion. Several giant gears that are attached to the main axis slowly turned, occasionally creating the creaky sound. The four main sails on the outside caught the flow of strong wind from the mountains and generated force to move the whole contraption.

The Pokémon here used these windmills to channel water from the river across the town to irrigate their berry farms.

"Here we are!" Razor exclaimed, "Wait here."

Axel glanced across the place. He was awestruck and his mind was filled with fascination about the enormous thing. Razor came back shortly after, and behind him, Axel could notice a blurry pink shape that was floating alongside the gator. Then realization struck him.

"No!" Axel gasped, all eyes on the town elder. "You can't be…! I thought you were just a legend!"

"Well guess I'm no longer a legend, then?"

The pink cat Pokémon circled around the stunned electric lion who had been staring relentlessly at the marvel that he was witnessing. "Mew!" It squeaked with a giggle before stopping in front of Axel, looking at him directly with its round blue sky eyes. Its tail curled up as it flew away and landed next to Razor, still beaming with joy.

Razor could not hold back his chuckle. He leaned his back against the wall, watching, "Meoni, you scare the kid. Give him a break!"

"You are… real right?" Axel asked, still being blown away. "You are not an illusion made by some ghost-type right?"

Razor and Meoni shared a surprised look at each other before bursting out into laughter. Meoni then floated back to Axel, and gently tapped the Luxio on his nose.

"The one and only Mew," Razor said. "Don't worry, lots of Pokémon are like you when they first see her."

"I have only heard about you through fairy tales," Axel spoke softly. "The ancient Pokémon weave stories about how great you are. To be able to catch a glimpse of you would send joy to any Pokémon, let alone seeing you right here in the flesh."

"So if everyone's done with the admiring talk," Meoni raised her voice. "A Luxio eh? It's been a while since I saw one of your kind, especially not one with that feature of yours."

Axel jolted, raising his paw to cover the blade he was bearing. It was really well hidden from the others when they were walking along the town. However, the look on Meoni's face indicated she had already figured out about it long ago.

"Don't be so surprised," Meoni continued. "My psychic power is considered one of the strongest, it's natural for me to be able to sense my surroundings in great detail."

Axel heaved a sigh of relief.

"He said he couldn't remember anything," Razor spoke from across the room. "Maybe you can use that psychic power of yours to figure out something."

Axel's ears perked up. His memory had been a broken mess ever since he woke up. It would be nice to be able to recall what happened to him.

"So that's the reason why you two are here in the first place," Meoni said. "Very well, let me have a look at your memory."

"How are we going to do it?" Axel asked.

"Meoni is able to see through your entire memory," Razor recalled. "It's something of her power, I'm not really sure but just trust her. She knows what she's doing."

Meoni gave Axel a reassuring smile before touching her forehead against that of the Luxio. Axel closed his eyes, he could feel an overwhelming psychic surge going through his body. It was actually very soothing and pleasant.

However, something strange happened. A blinding light shone brightly from where their heads made contact. The sight raised alert from Razor. He felt something wrong was about to happen and readied his stance.

And it happened. An energy field suddenly exploded, knocking back both of them. Razor caught Meoni mid air, but the explosion was so powerful that it slammed both of them against the wall. Axel also took a substantial recoil from the impact. The cloth covering his blade was torn apart during the whole incident.

"Are you two both fine!?" Razor yelled.

Meoni slowly recovered and so did Axel.

"This is the very first time it actually happened," Meoni whispered. "I need to think about this. Axel, your memory, it is covered by a layer of psychic power that prevents others from looking into it."

She coughed and levitated towards the Luxio to help him get up. She then continued, "I was about to break through that barrier but the result is as you could already see for yourself. However, I already know what happened to you."

"Can you tell me what happened?" Axel insisted, slowly getting up on his four.

Meoni's face turned serious as if she had wondered if it was appropriate to tell the Luxio about it or not. She paused for a while before finally speaking, "Come back tomorrow. I have a lot of things to tell you. For now, you and Razor should go home and get some rest. I need to check on a few things."

Said so and Meoni immediately flew away deeper into the windmill. Confusion struck Axel, yet the thought of finally being able to unravel the whole ordeal he was in brought peace to his soul.

"You heard her," Razor consoled the Luxio. "Let's head back for now and come back later."

They left the windmill as the sun was about to set on the horizon. It had been a rough day.

Chapter 4: Anticipation

Akasura Shirone

Pronouns
Her/Yuki
Chapter 4: Anticipation

It was another full moon night. The black veil shrouded the once vibrant orange sky, adorned by the sparkling Northern stars. Contrast to the mild atmosphere of daylight, temperature dropped surprisingly fast around Windswept Village.

During some extremely rare cases, one could even have the opportunity to witness a natural wonder, the polar lights. And tonight was that night. Rays of light stretched beyond the horizon, swirling amidst the cold darkness. The burning red and orange hue burst out, lighting up the whole aerial space. When one thought it was over, a sudden surge of cold blue and green diffused among the skyline, giving life to the seemingly barren aurora borealis.

A tale was once told about these lights. The colors they beheld resembled that of Ho-oh’s feathers. The ancient Pokémon believed that these lights only existed because Ho-oh recently flew past the place, and the dust trail from its feathers crafted such magnificence.

Axel gazed up at the night sky. A familiar feeling ran through his mind. It was as if he had witnessed the same lights somewhere else before. His burdened soul filled with questions had been holding back his pawsteps ever since he left the windmill. Razor saw it and could not help but heaving a long sigh.

“Meoni already said she knew about what happened, don’t worry too much,” the blue gator consoled Axel, patting the lion’s back.

“I understand,” Axel replied, “I just can’t help being so troubled about it.”

To rub salt further into the wound, without the cloth covering his blade, whispers started to appear among the town dwellers. Axel was on the verge of breakdown. He lowered his head, sobbing.

“Who am I? Do I have parents? If I do, where are they? How did I even get to this place? There are so many questions I have been asking myself!”

Axel stopped dead in track, lying down and covering his face. Tears unknowingly rolled down from his eyes, falling on the soft patch of grass underneath.

Uncertain of what to do next, Razor just stood by him, looking up at the sky. Moment passed and Axel finally calmed down a bit.

“You know,” Razor spoke as he helped Axel to get up, “instead of tormenting yourself over something you can’t control, why not just let fate guide your way? Come, let’s get home. I know just the thing that can cheer you up.”

A long walk, a moment of silence. The wooden house revealed itself, lit up by the ray of moonlight shining down from an opening between the foliage. Not an impressive place but it could surely survive through one severe storm.

Razor pushed through the door and lit up the fireplace. He then rummaged through the sack that was sitting quietly in a corner next to a large pot. He took out from it several red spiky berries.

“There is nothing better in a cold night than a bowl of hot piping Tamato soup,” he remarked.

Axel offered to clean and prepare the berries which Razor gladly handed them over. A quick claw work after, the berries were sliced into biteable cubes. The electric lion then lay down solemnly next to the flickering flame while the blue gator cooked the soup.

The warm stream of steam and a fragrant smell emitted from the pot woke the hungry belly of both of them. Small pops coming from the fireplace and the boiling sound of the soup helped easing the silence that would otherwise hang around the house.

“How much do you believe in fate, Razor?”

Caught off guard by the abrupt question, the gator pondered for a while before grabbing his chair and sat down.

“You’d be surprised how fate would save your life.” His voice sounded calm and reminiscent. “A story long ago but I still remember it as clearly as if it just happened yesterday.”

“It was a cold night similar to this one. I was on my way back from a scouting mission when I got ambushed by a large group of Pokémon. I put up a fight but in the end, I still got outnumbered and had myself cornered.”

Axel’s ears perked up. The electric lion seemed to take interest in this story.

“So what happened next?” he asked enthusiastically. “How did you make it out alive?”

Razor let out a buoyant laugh. “Got your attention, didn’t I?”. He stood up, walking towards the window. “Just when I was about to accept my death, an Absol saved me.”

He continued, “He was the strongest warrior I’ve ever met for a long time. A few swings from his blade and they all ran for their dear life.”

Hearing that, Axel raised his paw to feel the blade on his head. Despite his memory loss, he could vaguely feel a strong bond with it. He could not fully describe the emotion in words, all he knew was he had been taught how to fight with it from someone very close to him.

“I have always admired the way the Absol race could use their blades so brilliantly. Maybe you also have that potential inside you even though you’re only part Absol,” said Razor as he stared at Axel.

Shrugging off the look from the gator, Axel asked, “So did you manage to get his name?”

Razor shook his head. “That Absol was apparently from a Rescue team that just happened to wander nearby. And, he seemed to be in such a rush that he just left right after I tried to ask for his name.”

“That’s unfortunate then,” Axel commented, “you didn’t get to know your rescuer’s name.”

“Fate will cross our way again,” Razor replied. “That’s why I have a firm belief in what fate will bring. You never know one day you will get saved by the hand of Arceus himself.”

“Enough chatting, the soup is done, eat it while it’s hot,” he urged. “You have a long day tomorrow, so eat up and get some rest.”

“Have you heard of the attack in Serenity Village?”

“I did. It was such a disaster for those who lived there.”

The land of sand and treasure, where sandstorms greeted the heavy steps of whoever wandered into the land, a hooded figure sat quietly in a corner of a local tavern. He just toyed around with the glass inside his paw, overhearing the conversations happening inside the place.

“Seems like everyone is going on about that tragedy, don't they?”

The tavern keeper approached him, trying to strike up a small talk.

“It shook the whole Union upon hearing that the Berserkers actually seek out innocent Pokémon,” the hooded figure replied.

The tavern keeper looked left and right a bit and then whispered to him.

“Just between you and me, I heard the event wasn’t an accident at all.” A hint of interest slid across the figure’s face as he gave the keeper a slight smile before tipping him an extra portion.

“It’s the Alliance leader who started that attack, eh?”

Sandstorm raged during the cold night. A lightning bolt dashed across the large dunes. Not even that sandstorm could outrun him. With him were his torn yet loyal strap bag and a white scarf just enough to cover his face from the sandy wind.

“Also, what lovely weather we have tonight!” he exclaimed in a pumped up mood. “This should be the last one for today, and I can finally see my favorite Meoni!”

He picked up the speed, leaving the whole sand trail behind stoked with electricity. Just a short moment afterwards, a forestry sight flashed between the blurry dust. Escaping the sand, he arrived at the entrance to Livra Woods.

Livra Woods, as the local described, was a peculiar place. It wrapped around the large mountains that surrounded Windswept Village, yet, the one exact entrance that led directly to the town changed all the time.

Rumours of outsiders even called this place the Hunger Woods for it had claimed the lives of countless explorers trying to uncover the mysterious Windswept Village. No one was alive to retell if the entrance they went in was the correct one or not. Only a selected few knew about it.

“Meoni doesn’t usually call me at this hour though. Must be something important.”

Reaching the first bush of the woods, he took out from his bag a small orb. As he sent through the orb a bit of electricity, it lit up and started flying around him. The orb then stood still for a bit, emitting a faint light before zooming off into a designated direction. That was the cue for him to follow it.

Several swatting branches and getting pricked by thorn bushes later, he was finally able to see the proud windmill of the town. In the middle of a peaceful midnight ambiance, a soothing leaf flute melody echoed. He recognized this melody, the one Meoni always played whenever they met each other. As an instinct, he hummed the lyrics.

“The vast ocean, the endless sand, all fade away with time

Fight with all might, forget the past, break through the chain of fate

Scavenge the world, unfazed resolve, carefree of all the life burden

Even after, if tides turn south, still move forward.”

The singing reached Meoni. The cat Pokémon twitched his ears, realizing the one she had been waiting for finally arrived. There was definitely no one else with that distinctive and beautiful voice other than her beloved Zeka.

“You could have arrived sooner,” Meoni said mockingly, floating towards her companion. “There’s so much I want to tell you.”

Zeka smiled brightly as he pulled Meoni closer into a hug. Within a moment, Zeka could feel all his tiredness and doubt fade with the light night breeze. He rubbed his forehead against Meoni in an affectionate gesture.

“The Eastern Alliance is a strict place, you know, they have too many regulations,” said Zeka as he slowly sat down with Meoni on the platform in front of the windmill. “It’s also tough to travel around there since, you know, the entire area is mostly just desert.”

With her psychic power, Meoni levitated a kettle of Sitrus tea and two small porcelain cups to where they were sitting.

“Still unchanged that old-fashioned Alliance!” Meoni blurted. “I expect them to open up, but apparently you can’t change what’s already engraved in their nature.”

“At least they still let outsiders freely pass through the land,” Zeka commented, taking a sip of the tea. “That should be enough for the rest of the world to them.”

Meoni sighed defeatedly, her paws rubbing the cup back and forth. Zeka saw it and patted Mew’s head with his soft yellow paw.

“I assume you didn’t call me just to mock the Alliance. What’s been troubling you?”

“A Luxio appeared in the town yesterday.”

“A Luxio? What’s so special about that Luxio then?”

Meoni suddenly flew up, staring at the full moon. He paused a bit before continuing speaking.

“Have you, perhaps, been anywhere close to Celestine Mountain lately? You know, hearing any news from the tribes there?”

Zeka’s eyes widened. Celestine Mountain! The Pokémon living there barely made contact with the region nowadays. However, he did actually hear about an incident.

Zeka took out from his bag a piece of Unown writing.

“I think you might find what you need in this.”

He then handed the paper to Meoni and finished his drink. Meoni received the paper and could not believe what he was reading. They shared a worried and feared look at each other.

“Found this in an abandoned cave near Celestine Cascade. If my prediction is as right as yours, we’re about to face a catastrophe that isn’t like anything before.”

Meoni gripped the paper tightly. Her face darkened with anger.

“These fools just don’t know what they are messing with. Sooner or later this world will meet its end just because of their wrong doings.”

Zeka stood up, sweeping dust away from his legs and readjusting his bag.

“The sooner you tell the Luxio the better,” Zeka said, ready to leave.

Meoni held him back, not wanting to let go. “You have to leave this soon? We just barely had a conversation.”

Zeka turned around and gently kissed on Meoni’s forehead. “Just call me whenever you feel lonely. We’ve been through several rough timelines together already. Nothing’s ever gonna separate us again in this one.”

“Zeka… The pain still bothers you?” Meoni asked, putting his paw on Zeka’s chest.

“Not when you’re nearby,” Zeka answered cheekily.

Last farewell and Meoni longed for the silhouette of Zeka who slowly disappeared into the dark trees of Livra Woods.

“Oh Dial, why does it always happen this way in every timeline?! What have I done wrong to save him?”

Top Bottom