• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Fractional: The Rules of the Game

review reply chapter 1/INTRO
  • K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
    Laughs, well I'm glad the opening line worked for you. The point of this was part to make some notes platable, and set up for a +6 sorta story... but it turned into a +9 for reasons, it's the first/intro entry, where I try to gentle people into the world I've set up, introduce the main cast, then toss in the + storyline with the other chapters. This section is the intro really... I have the others in bullet point forum and plan on popping them up once I've done my review work for the month.

Nah Gio doesn't want to disable the phone. Lillie's not quite up to understanding that he hates everything and anything about this region and therefore would see more catharsis in destroying the thing and selling the pieces rather than following the logical plan of reformating and selling it whole. His spites so great he took a hammer to it, as for why he keeps the old phone it's his only means to contact Silver, something established in the base story but that Lillie doesn't understand yet. There's a section later on where they communicate or try to, with modern tech and it goes as well as Gio's laptop experience so he gets the "why" behind their dark age tech usage.
    Lillie's still wrangling with Gio being young and old all at once. Some of her confusion is bleeding out into the descriptive text, it's a bit sloppy but I haven't found a way to show it better yet. Something I'm working on.

Yes, the writer of "the prince", I've some examples coming up in later areas... that I hope to wiggle in, but I didn't want to jump that far ahead in the story with the introduction of the setting/idea via Lillie's viewpoint... Though here.. the cops might get called, and the call will go to no one... because reality is not working right anywhere for anyone, and thus normal/sane consequences have gone out to lunch and never came back.

Nah the walking tech-bane he is not. It's a new effect of the Legends punishment, probably inflicted on him the first time they realized he can bypass their "hardship learning experiences" by hacking ATMs and getting unlimited money on an account. They couldn't stop him from doing that, didn't get society/financials well enough to understand how to sanely punish him, so they stop him from accessing it or getting any benefit from game genie coding himself 9999999 money at the first opportunity and making stabs at say... the kahuna/champs pokemon bank account while he was at it.

Ah, they're in pokemon center six at the moment, the computer refolding reality is "incident 6" I think I'll need to drop the lead in and just drop the section....

In response to your Silver line... yeah when Silver was super young he got sick a few times and Gio being a sole parent had to drop everything to care for his son since he couldn't trust outside help to keep an eye on the "heir apparent" and not make a stab at killing the kid or something... He also did some background raising of Koga's kid a bit, though that's something I've not been able to wing into the tale proper or any of my tales where I know it's a plot point.

Yeah, when you're a shy do-gooder traveling with Mr. asocial plot master... there are going to be "we don't talk days" and those are going to be the most peaceful best days of the journey when you look back on them.

Considering Lilie's starting to realize everyone's not exactly real in this story, she leaves it wondering if only her and Gio are the only real people and is terrified to leave him because it's established she can't tell what is and isn't. And compared to her own upbringing Gio's prickliness is all sunshine and rainbows, she'll probably get to the point when she calls him out on his knee-jerk asinine traits, but she's not near there enough to think about it, much less start demanding to be treated better.

Lilli's not paying attention to Gio beyond obeying his "suggestions"/orders. When she glances down he's slumped, and giving up on everything like an over-emotional brat he was in his adolescent hey-day. But again, she's not paying him too much mind, being rather single-minded attached to her "job".

Not... broke as in fiscally broke, but broke as in "not functioning right in any way shape, or forum". like the people in the line, or those around Lillie who only notice certain things, in another fic she refers to her mother as "broke" as well but "broke in the head" and nearly falls apart at the (for her) borderline criticizing her mother. Gio winds up saying that it's alright to say Lillie's mon is "broke/ill" and leave it at that, even though Lillie is near textbook describing psychopathic/psychotic episodes. It's a small shout-out to some scenes in "training"/"transversal".

Nah meant perchance, it's old, clunky, and wrong modernly speaking, yes, but Lillie's a mix match of memes(which Gio and Kukui actually showed her), old classic learning(really it was classic Shakespeare and classic TV for her growing up and that was it), and almost zero socializing. So I leave odd bits in her word choice to reflect that. I need to actually get around to showing how bizarre her lifestyle was pre-journey but I haven't had an idea how to do it yet. I started talking about the abuse in another story, but this tale really isn't going to go there.

Were he in Kanto he wouldn't treat the place as his personal dumping ground. Now Johto, Illex, definitely yes, but he's just being obscenely lazy because he realized no one is going to notice/care/and there will be no consequences for him for it if they do. But on the other hand, he doesn't want Lillie rooting through it and getting messy and him having to care about that...

Honestly, I think she'd be thrilled to find a way to travel with Silver rather than Gio, Silver's a ball of trauma but he's a considerate ball of trauma, dear old evil overlord dad's just a jerk all around when he's trying to be decent.

Honestly, Silver's mom had it so so hard at points. Gio was more socialized and less of an ego trip, so he was borderline platable, but still, she had to put up with so much... Lillie's probably going to beeline for Gio's extended family the second they get out of this and be like... "I'm so sorry you have to deal with this".

Lillie was asking after wingul kid. I'll have to make that clearer.

because it's not his, literally or even in Lillie's perspective, he did just steel it, after all, so she's not passing the ownership to Sakaki yet.
    Ah, that's a fun theory, but it's not Gio's fault that everyone is robot modeing. It's the Legend's fault and a fundamental facet of this false Alola region

(transversal has examples in the 'mon, when Gio riles them up with an encounter and figures their attack radius/sensing the PC circumference and spams it by standing one step out of a 'mon's "range of vision" though perfectly visible by anything with working eyes in the real world, notes this, and had Weedle rile up the 'mon and gets a no response since they're both out of range of the creatures "limits". He then makes an easy kill/leveling system based on manipulating these stats and gets Weedle up to Beedril in three days as a result. In "Training" he has another "this isn't how it should work but I can Game this to my own ends" and the reverse happens when a mandated plot point won't be worked around no matter how hard he tries and trying bites him in the rump-Training and Transversal-.)

It becomes more obvious when Gio's around as he's a point of very obvious contrast and is playing the system as he discovers how it works. Lillie, being with Gio and justifiably paranoid, is starting to see these effects, not only in people she knows in passing (her mother and Kukui for example) but in everyone now she knows to look for it.

Initially, I had it as bale... but swapped it to "nope" because Lillie's voice is a mix match of classic mimicry, goody two shoes, and memeing when under stress...

She's starting to meme more as she becomes more immersed in normal teen culture.

Well, she admits it's a backslide, her wanting to bite someone was a knee jerk at three... and Gio's inspiring her to regress.

As for what the rest of the center's like... the same as it always was. the only thing going nuts is the line and Gio's stolen laptop, I probably should expand on that though but Lillies is so freaked out I couldn't really swing her looking around, she's just blue screening at Gio's laptop, hands getting cut off... oh dear god why... reaction that unless someone jostles her she's not going to look at anything beyond the horror on Gio's table.

Knowing Gio's luck and who's really running the world he'd crawl into a hospital needing medical treatment and the staff would try to shove
    him on a plate and into a box to heal him of his injuries as his ah... present overseers have no idea how hospitals work, and have only seen pokeceners through their whole lives.

Well, I'm glad you were able to enjoy my tale despite its flaws. Characterization is something I've tried to hone, so having them be identifiable despite their odd scenario is a huge help. Some of the "errors" were deliberate, to show Lillie's odd thinking, and some of it was legit errors on my part. When time permits I'll try to groom a few of them out and make the whole more approachable. As for the point, it's just a series of one-shots loosely tied to Transversal, basically notes to prose exercise that I'm going to turn into a +9 fic, it's a part writing exercise, part short tale practice.

Top Bottom