• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fifth Anniversary Fic Readings

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Fifth Anniversary Fic Readings

We've had a handful of fic-reading voice chats in the past, including our regular Exquisite Corpse readings, but I thought this year it might be fun to offer people the opportunity to read some of their own stories, enjoy reading others' fics, or simply listen in and enjoy the experience.

The premise is simple: each person brings a PG-13-rated excerpt from a fic they'd like to read (or have read), 1000 words or less. Most often that's going to be your own fic, but if you'd like to instead read a piece of someone else's story, feel free to post that instead! Just get the author's permission first. This thread will serve as a repository of scenes so that readers can easily find the text if they're reading another person's scene.

@MintyMimix will be joining this event to read some of the fics! As anyone who's been to one of their previous reading events knows, they're a skilled amateur voice actor, and having them voice some fic scenes from the community is sure to be a treat! The number of fics they reads is up to their own discretion, and unless we get a very low number of sign-ups, likely won't be all of them.

You should come prepared to read your own story. While I expect we'll have multiple people interested in reading other people's stories, there's no guarantee that your particular fic will be among them.

The voice chat reading is scheduled for Saturday, May 4th at 4:00 PM EST (8:00 PM UTC), but depending on interest, I'll schedule an additional reading session for the last week of the anniversary. If you'd like to participate but can't make that time, let me know and I'll work on scheduling another session. We may also host a second session if we aren't able to make it through all sign-ups during the May 4th VC.

Want to read others' stories but nothing of your own, or interested in simply listening in? No need to sign up in this thread! I'll add a Discord event for the reading so you can receive a ping when it kicks off, but drop-ins are also welcome.

All that said, if you'd like to have your fic read as part of this event, please post below with a PG-13-rated excerpt of at most 1000 words!

Last edited:

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
tfw you skim your entire body of work for potential candidates only to wind up settling on the very first part of the very first installment lmao

He lay down upon a cold, wet patch of grass, though it may as well have been a bed fit for a queen. It was soft and enveloping, like the sudden drowse that was pleasantly consuming him. He yawned, covering his mouth with his hand—her hand, pale-skinned and branching out into five separate fingers.

This was not his hand. This was not his point of view.

Something sky-blue appeared over the pale hand—his own, much simpler, fused hand, surrounded by a soft, multicolored glow. He looked into her eyes, though he knew he didn’t need to. He knew they were closed, knew that their owner slept. On some level, so did he, yet he remained awake. After all, it was only
her sleep, which he happened to be experiencing vicariously. A second-hand sensation.

Her last.

He recoiled from the sudden, stark vacuum where her lifeforce had been. Part of his own went with it, and the torn edges burned white-hot with pain. Disarray exploded in his mind—his cumbersome nervous system hadn’t unsynched in time, and now he couldn’t tell for certain whether he was living or dead, whether he was himself or the lifeless figure lying before him. Overwhelmed, he staggered backward until something caught under one of his pods and nearly tripped him.

His perception, all of his many senses, abruptly froze. For a moment, reality returned. Then he saw the object he’d just stepped on—red, white, and round—and the distinction between himself and the friend he’d just lost blurred even further. This poké ball was his—but also
hers

The poké ball rattled as he lifted it in his shaking hands. The vestigial joints at his knuckles constricted around it, and with a final, caterwauling scream tearing its way through his throat, both the poké ball and his psyche broke into shards…

* * *​

The crack of the poké ball’s implosion blasted him out of the dream, just as it had every time before. He groaned feebly, wishing it had done so sooner. An ordinary nightmare was bad enough. He didn’t need to suffer it from two different perspectives at the same time.

But now, at least, the dreams really were only dreams, no matter how twisted. The pain wasn’t really present; it was only a shadow of the feeling, somewhere between remembered and imagined, and it was finally confined to those nightmares. For too long, it had followed him into his waking life, too.

Peace had been hard-won through the efforts of many over years in the Haven. Lazily, still yet to fully awaken, he opened his eyes and let their inner membranes slide back for one last view of his room there. It was a simple, small space, shut away from the outside world and its rude sun, perpetually shadowed in his preferred darkness.

He flexed his spine and his limbs, detaching his jaws in a massive yawn. There was a series of faint snaps as his joints relocated, followed by another sound: the trilling of the door alarm.

As he got to his feet, the lights came on slowly, gently, a feature for which he was quite grateful. It allowed eyes like his, accustomed to near-total darkness, to more gracefully adjust to the brightness on the other side of the door, which would only open once the light-adjustment process was finished.

He’d have personally preferred for the lights to not come on at all, but most of the Haven’s staff were chansey. Their kind had nothing like the night-vision of his own; they required light to be active and able to perform their sometimes critical work. He’d often wondered why they didn’t just employ some nocturnal species to tend to the dark-sighted, but he’d always let the matter slide.

At any rate, he could tolerate light rather well for one of his kind, for he was used to it. Living with humans (and the hours those humans kept) for part of his life had caused him to develop diurnal habits. He suspected that he’d probably end up half-blind before his first century and wholly so halfway through his second, but it would be worth it. He’d loved those years he’d spent with the humans, and outside of the occasional nightmare, he could now recall them with more joy than sorrow.

The door slid open, and in stepped a chansey, beaming proudly. A nametag clipped to her fur identified her as Teresa. She carried a form attached to a clipboard; somewhat awkwardly, she turned it around so that the paper faced him.

Wobbuffet, male, the form read in unown-script. Designation: Esaax Evergray. He’d been denying that name and the history that came with it ever since his new life among the humans had begun. But now, in his “second new life”, he embraced it once more.

After all, once one gets over a thing like a spontaneous extinction, a little adolescent heartbreak is nothing…

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
tfw you skim your entire body of work for potential candidates only to wind up settling on the very first part of the very first installment lmao

I think this'll be most of us, and I'll probably be in the same boat, if I do Questant, unless I opt for another update... but it'll still probably be towards the start.
Other than that, I'm reaching out to a person off the forums for their pokemon fic since it's been among my favorites to follow over the last few months or so, so fingers crossed there. I might reach out to a couple people if it's fine to read off more than one excerpt (from different sources)

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
I can only guarantee each person one excerpt read, but feel free to bring a couple extra as backup if there ends up being time for more!

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
Wahoo, I have author approval to read an excerpt from A Journey of Two, an interactive journeyfic (a forum Quest) on Sufficient Velocity

It'll be the second half of the first gym battle, from the tail end of 'Kanto Week 8 Part 2 - The First Clashes'
through to the end of 'Kanto Week 8 Part 3 - The Cascade Badge'.
Misty tossed out Staryu, the Pokemon that would be her ace in the fight. Letting out a quick cry of "Staryu!" The water Pokemon spun rapidly in the air, bobbing and weaving in an impressive display that was meant to be intimidating.

Dratini responded with a spin of his own, chirping that spinning was pretty fun. And it looked cool! Both trainers giggled at that before the battle resumed once more.

Violet's Perceptive Trait Kicks in!

Staryu will stand off and remain at range. Using mostly Confuse Ray it will dart between the water and platforms using them for cover. If Chansey is used, it will use Rapid Spin repeatedly to gain speed, whilst interspersing it with Confuse Ray, Water Gun, and Harden.

The battle had resumed for a mere few seconds before Violet realized something was different. Misty's orders hadn't just covered what moves to use, instead, she instructed Staryu to weave between the platforms. Immediately doing so, the Water Pokemon began to rapidly accelerate in unpredictable patterns, diving in and out of the water as it did.

Dratini dove into the water himself, barely avoiding a Confuse Ray before unleashing Thunder Wave within the pool, hoping for a repeat of what happened with Psyduck. Instead, Staryu shot out of the water into the air, avoiding the attack and reorienting itself to look down on the pool.

"Thunder Wave while it's in the air!" Violet shouted, to which Dratini leaped from the water onto one of the platforms, sparks beginning to form around it as the Thunder Wave began to coalesce.

"Staryu! Confuse Ray!" But Misty wasn't so inclined to give Dratini a free hit, as both Pokemon unleashed their attacks simultaneously. Almost immediately, Staryu's arms began to spasm while Dratini grew disoriented and struggled to track Staryu.

Calling out for Dratini to stay vigilant and on the move, he began to weave between the platforms and water just like Staryu, the two Pokemon using the complex dance as a form of cover. Both trainers called out for new attacks. Unwilling to have Staryu get into range of Dratini's coils, Misty opted for Water Gun, while Violet opted for Twister.

Disoriented as he was, however, Dratini's attack was mistimed and misplaced, tossing the Mirage Pokemon into the water with a heavy hit twice. However, the sheer unpredictability this provided ensured Staryu couldn't land any hits on the Mirage Pokemon. It was only the third time Dratini used Twister that he shook off the disorientation, enabling him to fight at full capacity once more.

And yet, Misty reacted quickly, having Staryu switch back to Confuse Ray as the two Pokemon continued their dance. Each Water Gun and Twister were dodged and evaded as Dratini and Staryu weaved between platforms and in and out of the pool itself. But it was the Mirage Pokemon that broke the stalemate, landing the first blow against Staryu thus far.

Managing to catch Staryu in the corner of the arena, Dratini landed a solid hit with Twister, the swirling maelstrom of Dragon energy injuring and disorienting Staryu enough that the Mirage Pokemon immediately was able to capitalize. Charging up the next attack more than normal, the Water Pokemon was surprised by the sheer intensity, causing it to cry out as it bounced off the platforms on the pool and into the water below.

"Don't let up!" Violet ordered for she knew not to give Staryu or Misty a chance to recover. And Dratini had no intentions himself, using Twister a third time in rapid succession to bring Staryu to the same level of injury as himself.

As the Water Pokemon got to their metaphorical feet, Misty asked if they could continue. To which Staryu responded with a quick confirmation before trying to land a Confuse Ray once more. Accepting the Twister that landed, Dratini once more appeared to grow disoriented as the dance between them continued once more.

Both Pokemon circled the other, constantly trying to gain an advantage or land hits. However, this time it was Dratini who slipped up. Trying to clear his head, the Mirage Pokemon misjudged distances, dodging into a Water Gun from Staryu that slammed him into the edge of the pool.

"Dratini!" Violet called out, nervously checking on her companion from a distance. The Mirage Pokemon chirped a battle cry, diving into the water to avoid the continued barrage of water from Staryu.

"Confuse it again!" Misty called out as Staryu switched to Confuse Ray just as Dratini regained his bearings. Diving into the pool to try and catch the Mirage Pokemon off guard, Violet saw an opening.

"Twister now!" There was a moment between when Staryu would enter the water, where the froth and bubbles from its entry would blind it, and Violet timed it perfectly. Tossing the Water Pokemon into the air with the move, Dratini hopped back onto the platform as the two battling creatures used up the last bit of energy they had.

"Don't give up yet, Staryu," Misty called out, her mind concentrating on what was in front of her. "Use Water Gun one last time!"

"You know what to do, Dratini!" Violet yelled simultaneously. Both Pokemon unleashed their attack, with Water Gun meeting Twister head-on, blinding both trainers for a few seconds as a spray of water coated the arena.

Waving her hand to try and disperse the spray, Violet held her breath as she realized just how quiet the battle had become. The mist dissipated, leaving her to see that only one Pokemon remained standing.

With a tired chirp of victory, Dratini visibly panted, exhausted by the lengthy battle. "We did it!" Violet yelled, hopping in excitement as the Mirage Pokemon approached hug range.

Glomping her Pokemon, Violet lifted him into her arms, spinning around in celebration as she realized the Cascade Badge was hers.

I'm thinking of trying to pull together some soundbytes and seeing if they could be added to the server soundboard for the reading... just because I'm not confident of my ability to mimic Staryu or Dratini cries, and I think having them / attacks as sound effects I could cue as I read would be a fun touch.

I'm gonna try and get all of that drafted and collected today, and then sent over sometime tomorrow (midday ideally) my time, in hopes that works.
I've got some ability if I practice this, but otherwise I'm open to (if you want to) @MintyMimix reading the dialogue lines off for Misty and the protagonist Violet (I think my confidence issue there is that my impression of Misty sounds too similar to my attemtp to voice Violet, who's not my character so it's a guess at best, though I'd be fine reading the entire thing myself still).

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
i would love to read the last thousand words of pano's ❄︎♒︎♏︎ ⧫︎❒︎◆︎⧫︎♒︎ ♓︎⬧︎ □︎◆︎⧫︎ ⧫︎♒︎♏︎❒︎♏︎. i have cleared it with her.
"You—You tricked me into coming here. You tricked me into freeing you! This is all a trick!" He was screaming now, but there was no one around to hear.

"Incorrect. We asked you to find us because you already were set on coming to this place. We needed someone like you. Someone who understood our plight. You are that someone, Shelby.”

“There’s no way. Who would want a loser like me?”

For the first time, something akin to disappointment flitted across Beheeyem’s expression.

“What can we do to have you trust us, Shelby?” Their head tilted to the side briefly before straightening. They raised one finger, and Shelby felt a tug on his pocket. He watched, wide-eyed as the baggie of weed and tin of rolling papers levitated free from his jacket and up to the beheeyem’s hands.

“Maybe something to clear your mind. Remove any unnecessary thoughts,” they hummed. Of their own accord, the tin and baggie opened, and a minute later a perfectly rolled spliff floated down in front of Shelby’s nose.

“See, we do not care about how you choose to live. Will you trust us now?” The beheeyem’s finger blinked, and a mote of light formed in front of the joint. It flared bright for a second, then disappeared. The tip of the paper glowed orange.

Shelby’s gaze darted between Beheeyem and the offering in front of him. They inclined their head toward him in approval. With a shaking hand, he plucked the blunt out of the air and took a desperate drag.

“Fuck,” he breathed, smoke puffing out around his head. A wave of relief flooded over him, and his head rolled back against the wall with a soft thunk. “Fuck me, I needed that.”

“Good. We are almost there. Our ship is just ahead. Can we count on you to join us?”

Shelby was mid-toke when he heard Beheeyem. “Did you say ship? ” he spluttered, coughing on the smoke.

“How else would we have arrived on your planet?”

“Fuckin’... I dunno.”

The beheeyem didn’t offer any further prodding. They floated down the hallway another twenty feet, then stopped and opened a door on the right. Shelby dutifully followed behind. Once he reached the doorway, Beheeyem drifted inside, toggling the lights without moving a muscle.

It was a minor miracle Shelby had removed the blunt from his mouth, otherwise it would have fallen to the floor in his shock.

A gleaming silver spaceship sat in the hangar beyond. Shelby recognized the design; it was the same style as the ones from the vision. The beheeyem hovered towards the ship with as much urgency as Shelby had seen them exhibit. With a wave of their hand, a hatch appeared on the outer hull, opening with a quiet hiss.

Beheeyem turned in the doorway, fixing Shelby with their glowing green eyes. The light from the ship’s interior cast the alien into silhouette, granting their outline an ethereal halo. Their fingers blinked in a mesmerizing sequence, beckoning him. “Come. We must hurry. Our fleet is awaiting communication.”

It was as if his feet moved on their own. Shelby crossed the hangar and stepped inside, ducking slightly to fit inside the hatch. It slid shut behind him with a suctioning noise.

The interior of the ship was cramped, doubly so with both of them in the cockpit. Beheeyem slid to the side as best they could, gesturing to the control panel.

“Go ahead. Push the button. Launch the beacon.”

Shelby transferred the joint to his lip. It dangled there as he thought for a moment, smoke curling in tendrils around the cockpit. He shook his head.

“I—I can’t, man. This is my home.”

Beheeyem’s answer was immediate. “Does your home love you?”

“What?”

“Does your home love you?”

Shelby’s gaze fell to the console where his hands had balled into fists. “Fuck, I dunno, maybe? My roommate’s chill. It’d suck to see him die.”

“Is that all?”

“Whaddya mean ‘is that all’?”

“It is simple. Is that all that ties you to this planet? Your so-called home? You have no female relations. You have no parental relations. You clearly do not care about societal obligations. Why else would you want to stay?”

Shelby thought for a moment, then shrugged. “Like, there’s my stuff down there, I have a couch, and a kitchen table, and some pots and pans and shit. And my bike. And like, my PS5.”

“We think you have your answer.”

“Man, I’m not gonna blow up my PS5! That was like three month’s worth of paychecks to get that thing—”

Beeheyem sighed and waved a hand. A blip of light appeared, growing until it coalesced into a PS5. Shelby’s eyes went wide.

“Holy shit. So wait, do you have, like, weed in space?”

“There are ways to alter your mind that you cannot even imagine. Now push the button. Set yourself free. Just like you did for us.”

Shelby watched his hand move on its own. The button was cool to the touch. He looked up from the console.

“Fuck,” he breathed, head lolling forward like he’d gone boneless. “What if—” he began slowly, “what if I told you to go fuck yourself and ran and told everyone? That aliens were real and they were going to blow up the planet.”

The cockpit was growing hazy from all the smoke. Beheeyem hovered unmoving. “And who would believe you?”

The button had grown warm under Shelby’s finger, warm enough that it was hard to distinguish where his hand ended and the button began. His gaze slid over to the beheeyem.

A small part of him hated that Beheeyem was right. He could walk home right now with video evidence of his encounter, and no one would believe him. A bigger part of him didn’t want to have to think anymore.

“Is it that simple?”

“It is not that complex,” Beheeyem replied.

Shelby pursed his lips and shrugged, the joint bouncing merrily along. “Fuck it, guess it’s not.”

Last edited:

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Ooh, excellent choice!

I'm going to put Walrein's "Touch My Tail, Dude!" into the pool!

Hey! Hey you! Yeah, you, in the green shirt!

Touch my tail, dude!

'No thanks?' Why not?

…come on, you don’t really believe in that ‘thousand-year curse’ thing do you? Well, you should! Because it’s totally true! One hundred percent correct-a-mundo, my bro-slice. A single touch of one of these babies and you’re cursed for the big one-G! So step right up and give ‘em a good ‘ol yank-

...hey, hey, where you going, man? Get back here! See, getting cursed is the whole point, my dude! Duh!

...it isn’t obvious? Do I have to spell it out for you? For a species who named yourselves ‘wise’ twice in Latin, you’re not very smart. Look, it’s simple. You know you’re gonna die one day, right? One day realllllll soon now. I can tell. You smell like leftover meat casserole that you can’t remember when you put it in the fridge, and you’re like, ‘aw man, I should’ve put a label on this’, but then you eat it anyways, because you’re the sort of person who makes bad choices like that, which is why you’re about to bite it, you know dude? Like, if you were the kind of guy who’s gonna see a hundred candles on his cake one day, you wouldn’t have just let a rando fox corner you against a rock wall and start babbling about how he smells like meat-

Whoa, whoa, put away the mace, bro! I’m not making a threat! Just stating the facts, man! My point is, you need help, dude. Without that, I’d say you’ve got like, sixty, seventy years left, tops. Trust me, my nose knows it’s talking about. Yeah, that may seem like a lot now. And I bet fruit flies think baby joltik are ‘really big’. See, here’s the deal: it’s called a thousand-year curse, bro. Not a ‘thousand years or until you have a heart attack or get shot or whatever, whichever comes first’ curse.

Touch my tail, and you’ll live for a thousand years.

What, you don’t believe me? Ever heard of someone called ‘AZ’ before? Kinda tall, flowing white hair, three-thousand years old? Yeah, he didn’t get to that age ‘cause of some made-up ‘ultimate weapon’. That’s crap. No, every thousand years, he just touched a ninetales tail again. That’s right, it works more than once.

Or maybe you’re familiar with this ‘Ash Ketchum’ guy? Yep, he’s a tail-toucher too. That’s why he still looks like a kid despite having been on his Pokemon journey for like a dozen years now. And you know that those two Team Rocket agents who always follow him around also got in on some of that sweet fluffy action. What, you’ve never wondered how come they’re not dead yet despite getting blown up or electrocuted every other day?

Ah, you’re getting curious now, bro! I like that! To answer your question, I’d say ‘inability to get over the death of some stupid plant fairy’ – like seriously, it’s been three-thousand years, move on already - ‘having the maturity of a ten-year-old for eternity’, and ‘getting blown up or electrocuted every other day’, respectively. So, yeah, although we’re not talking I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream level shit here, they’re still, ya know, curses. It sucks having to deal with them, I’m not gonna lie.

…but they’re still better than rotting away and dying after just a few decades, man! Come on! Like, aging itself is basically a dozen curses in itself, especially for you humans! The Curse Of The Enlarged Prostate Gland. The Curse Of The Receding Hairline. The Curse Of Your Goddamn Hip Breaking After Falling Just Three Fucking Feet Dear Christ Why Does My Body Suck So Much.

If it’s so great, why isn’t everyone living to a thousand, you ask? See, here’s the deal – us ninetales can get tail-touch curses too, even if the tails we’re touching are our own! And the most common curse for us to get is – yeah, you guessed it – The Curse Of No One Wanting To Touch Your Tails.

… no, I’m not implying that’s why you don’t want to touch mine! See, I’m smart. I’m friends with a magnemite, and every day he rubs his metallic body all over me and my nine little beauties back there. Then the static makes ‘em repel each other, so I’ve never touched any of my tails my whole evolved life, not even once. That means I’m not cursed, and so you’re totally capable of getting over your bizarre aversion and grabbing yourself a big fluffy serving of thousand-year-long life.

So what are you waiting for? It just takes a few seconds, bro. Really. And you’ve got a whole nine options to chose from! Like, take your freaking pick, man! Here, let me tell you what their names are: From left to right, there’s Mr. Flufferson, The Poofy One, Trixie Longshanks, Ol’ Red Tip, Action Hero, Lulamoon-

- wha – what the – NO, THIS ISN’T SOME FETISH THING! I’m trying to save your life, man! What, you seriously think I get some sort of sick sexual pleasure from letting your grimy ape hands yank at my rear-extensions?

Didn’t it ever occur to you that I’m risking my own life to give you this amazing opportunity? Since I’ve never touched any of my own tails, there’s no guarantee I’ll live a thousand years! I could just randomly die of an asteroid strike or stray hyper-beam at any minute! I’m basically tail-Jesus over here, taking on all of your immortality-rejecting-sins to let you live into the next millenium, and all you can think of is, ‘oh-no, here comes the pervo-fox, better run!’

Maybe I shouldn’t let you touch my tail.

...no, wait, I didn’t really mean that! Wait, stop, I’m begging you, bro! Come back! Everyone else might be too stupid to accept my offer, but that doesn’t have to be you, man! Think of what you’re throwing away!

Please, just do it! You have to! You have to!

Just do it!

Touch my tail, dude!

And a couple scenes from "In Ghostly Fashion" in case we have time.

Rin woke abruptly, propelled up from a dream as if from beneath deep water. It was bright. Rin squinted, blinked grainy eyes. The world took shape around her.

The lamp was on. She was on the couch, laptop slid over to rest against the back cushions. Her phone on the coffee table beside her glowed 12:37 AM.

Oh. Right. She'd lain down to watch a couple episodes of Alolan Detective Laki after she'd finished cleaning the kitchen. Just a break to rest her back after all that scrubbing. Just for a few minutes.

Rin groaned, and yawned, and closed her eyes again. It felt like gravity had increased since she'd started her nap. Nothing would be more comfortable than to settle back onto the throw pillow, now pleasantly warm and dented from her face, and go straight back to sleep. But it was basically Tuesday now, she only had three more days to get everything ready, and tomorrow she had to go settle everything up at school. She should get up, she should tackle the bathroom tonight, at the very least.

Rin forced watery eyes open again, her eyelids like tombstone slabs. Okay, compromise. There wasn't much point in trying to get more work done, not as late as it was. But at least she could drag herself over to bed and put on her pajamas and brush her teeth before she passed out again. Her mouth tasted like death, and at least making it to bed would make her feel something like a responsible adult.

Shuffling blearily towards the bedroom, Rin paused and squinted at something lying in her path. It looked like a crumpled tissue, but... colorful. Too small to be a wayward shirt. She reached down to pick it up, curiosity starting to push back the fog of fatigue. The rest evaporated when she recognized what she was holding. Rough dirty-yellow fabric, huge black-thread eyes, trailing ears...

"Sairi!" Rin yelled to the apartment at large.

Something gusted over by one of the bookshelves. A Masked Royal bobblehead bobbled and a DVD toppled down with a plasticky smack. Was that a dark tendril of something retreating behind a row of books?

Rin hurriedly averted her eyes, focusing on the discarded costume in her hand. She sighed and smoothed the patchwork fabric, looking into the costume's hopeful inanimate face. She laid it on the coffee table just in case, feeling obliquely sad.

And tired again. Rin stood a couple minutes, trying to convince herself to get more work done now she was properly awake, but no. She'd had enough.

rin7: Sairi ditched his disguise. There's a naked horrorterror running around my apartment.
daresDevils: oh shit. nude mimikyu
daresDevils: so are you gonna like get your soul sucked out through your eyeballs now
rin7: Nah, not by Sairi.
rin7: He's done this before, but it's been a long time. Starts messing with the costume if he feels anxious.
daresDevils: ah stress-induced nudity then
daresDevils: been there
rin7: Remind me why I keep talking to you, again?

Rin's to-do list soon pushed aside her worry over Sairi. No one in their right mind would keep a mimikyu without a stash of interesting fabric, thread and buttons and everything necessary to keep a ghost content. Not unless they fancied their own clothes or bits of furniture getting ripped apart to serve for repairs or a mimikyu's fashion upgrade. Sairi's own pile of scraps had been raided--it looked like he was keeping out of trouble for now.

After taking care of her work at the university Rin had to sit with Fala and reassure the lurantis that all her bonsai had been packed, along with everything necessary for their care. Rin went through the list while Fala fretted and made tiny adjustments to her trees, hissing and clicking to herself while she worked.

"All right, now for the root rakes," Rin said, rummaging in the box of horticultural supplies. "Big and... little. What else? We have the grow light, right?"

Fala muttered to herself and stirred the packed items with a scythe, and Rin glanced over at movement near the coffee table. Sairi was scooting around its edge in a new disguise--brown this time. Rin smiled and pretended not to notice.

"I think we've got everything," she said. "Are you feeling good about this? Did we miss anything?"

Fala hissed and clacked her mandibles, shearing off the tiniest tuft of moss creeping out of her birch's container. Everything was squared away, apparently, and two days early at that. Rin was a bit envious of how proactive Fala had been in gathering everything. Her own to-do list was enormous for the amount of time she had left.

"Can you pick out anything else you want to take to Bryss'?" she asked the lurantis. "I've still got to clean the bathroom and do laundry."

Fala chattered an affirmative and waved Rin off. So, the bathroom, then. But first...

Sairi was lurking shyly under the table, too nervous to come closer. "Hi, there," Rin said, kneeling in front of the mimikyu. "What a cute new disguise. I didn't know you wanted to be an eevee."

Sairi trilled and shuffled back and forth in nervous delight. Rin slowly reached out, and when Sairi didn't back away, rubbed the furry white fabric the mimikyu had used to make the eevee's ruff. "I didn't realize we had any of this stuff left. It's nice, isn't it? I bet it's comfy."

Sairi warbled and raised dark tendrils, reaching out for Rin. Rin picked him up and held him loose in her arms while he burbled happily. "All of your disguises are very cute," she said. "You know I like you just the same whatever you're wearing, right? Even if you don't have any disguise at all."

Sairi trilled but went very still when Rin said, "I'm not going away because I don't like you, Sairi. I like you a lot, and I'm going to miss you while I'm gone. I'm leaving because I have to, because I need to finish my degree, and I can't take pokémon with me. Do you understand?"

She'd explained before, multiple times, or at least she'd tried to. But Sairi squealed and struggled, and Rin set him back down so he could scurry off, wailing, into some dark corner or other. "It's going to be okay!" Rin called after him, to no response. A couple hours later she found the eevee costume discarded in one of Fala's empty pots, stitches half unpicked and rent as though by angry claws.

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
As far as Espurr was concerned, and she figured she was rather smart for a kid, unusual things just didn't happen to people like her. They happened to people who were completely ordinary and turned their homework in an hour before the due date; or to people who were completely unordinary and did squats at the bus stop while wearing a snorkel mask. But they just didn't happen to people caught in the middle. Those were the rules.

Espurr was only sixty-three percent ordinary, which was about as in the middle as you could be. She lived in a normal house in a normal neighbourhood in a normal city that had won an award for being the most boring city in the entire world. They had moved here from half the world away. Her parents wore identical pairs of spectacles, and both were accountants for a company that sold luxury lightbulbs. Espurr read her favourite book about insects in a corner during recess, thought Wednesday was a deep purple colour, and had been kicked off the girls' football team for not showing up to practise. She never had the same answers as anyone else in class, could never wear her hair or clothing in any of the popular styles, and hadn't kept friends since the third grade.

Her life was the same, day in, day out. Unlike those around her, nothing strange or exciting ever happened, and the world seemed to pass her by. There were no sudden wrenches in her plans, no camping or trips out with friends during summer vacation, no ghosts or plays or sleepovers. No secret texts under a blanket to boyfriends at night, no long-distance phone calls to close friends far away. There was just the bus to school, the walk home, and hours and hours of books and stupid cat videos.

Credit where it was due; the neighbour's tabby cat, a lazy, roaming, ill-tempered beast, often kept her company as long as she fed him. But her life was solitary and uneventful because, as far as she could tell, she was already unusual enough to be a few buns short a batch, and the universe needed to set the scales straight.

When she finished recording her day in her old, battered notebook, like she had all the days before, she shut it and the lamp off and fell backwards into bed. She laid there, waiting for the icy blue covers to warm up, and stared at the spiderlike shadows of branches reaching across her ceiling.

She drifted away slowly listening to the wind blow softly against her windowsill, the branches swinging back and forth as if waving their hands to a crowd she couldn't see. It never occurred to her how much of an ordinary thing it was to wake up the next day where she'd gone to sleep.

~\({O})/~​

Espurr stirred, groaning and shifting in something that didn't feel like her mattress. Her bedcovers were missing. Her eyes felt glued shut. Her head ached and swam with fog, her legs tired, her throat scratchy, like she was sick with a fever. A pounding headache knocked between her eyes.

She took a breath, and her nose wrinkled up. Something in the air was revolting. It smelled like something had died long ago, and now the stench was floating on the wind, mingling with the other plant smells, poisoning the air.

Plant smells? Was she outside?

Her eyes shot open, then quickly squeezed shut, blinded by sunlight she wasn't expecting to see. It was filtered through the branches of dense, intertwining treetops, the canopies blending and swirling together into a strange painting.

Fright rushed through her. Her eyes went wide open, and she shot up into a sitting position, scrambling on the ground and looking around frantically. Where was she? Had she been kidnapped? How did she get all the way out here?

But there was no-one around. Espurr was in the middle of an empty forest clearing, overcast by shadows, covered in dead leaves, mossy tree roots, and low ferns. The place was silent, empty. Not even the crickets chirped here. The sound of the wind left as quickly as it came, leaving only the eerie rustling of dead leaves in its wake. As the complete, total silence set in, Espurr's heavy breathing slowed, and her fear was replaced with quiet, tense unease.

Her throat screamed for water, so she crawled through the forest ground until she came to the edge of a slowly-flowing river – the only thing that made any sound here. Her body didn't move quite right on the way there, but she found the source of water quickly. Something she couldn't put into words told her to lower her head and drink rather than cup the water in her hands.

Drinking felt weird. Her tongue acted differently, scooping the cool drink up backwards into her mouth. She was too thirsty to care.

It was only when her hand passed in front of her for the first time that she sharply gasped. It didn't look like her hand.. And that caused her to snap awake and look at herself for the first time.

Her reflection in the river's cool, slowly-moving water betrayed her: from head to toe she was coated in bushy lavender fur, extending into white on her arms and legs. Her ears were large and floppy, hugging her head. A fluffy, catlike tail swished behind her. She could feel it swish, every motion alien and unwanted.

She stared at the purple tail in disbelief, her mind racing to find any solution that made sense. That tail couldn't be a part of her, humans didn't grow tails. It wasn't possible. Which meant… something was on her back? The tail swished, lowering, and she felt it lower, which meant it couldn't be something on her back, it had to be her tail, which meant… which meant…

Top Bottom