• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Fifth Anniversary Event Planning

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Fifth Anniversary Event Planning

Believe it or not, Thousand Roads will have been around for five whole years as of April 24th! Since that's a Wednesday, we'll be hosting our celebration April 27th - May 11th this year, but look out for some sign-up threads popping up over the next week for events that want advanced registration. Like with our previous anniversary celebrations, the idea is to have a number of small activities running throughout the anniversary so that people can pick and choose whichever ones sound interesting to them. Old favorites will be returning, and we have some new events coming this year, too!

If you've ever thought about trying to organize your own community event--an art stream, flash RP, forum game, or otherwise--now is a great time to give it a shot! I'll also be looking for some volunteers to help out with the running of our other events. For more information, check out the "How You Can Help" section below. The schedule is TBD pending feedback, but as of now, here's what to expect for this year's anniversary!

Forum Events

- Drabble bingo returns by popular demand! Ask for a bingo card of prompts on a theme--or completely at random--and write ultra-short stories in response to win a prize!

- Our mini review blitz is returning as well! Leave a couple nice pieces of feedback this anniversary, and you could find yourself with a new forum companion!

- As a special celebration of five years of TR, we'll be hosting an art collab to create a banner featuring our community's various characters!

- If you enjoy a little light betrayal, backstabbing, and furious deduction, you're in luck! We'll be having another iteration of anniversary forum mafia this year, and it promises to be a Skulltastic good time.

Discord Events

- Speed catnip returns for another year! Sample bite-sized bits of fic and receive quick feedback in this frenetic real-time review swap game. Look out for sign-ups and more information about this event during the anniversary's first week.

- I'll be hosting a couple games of One Night Ultimate Zoroark!

- This year I hope to add a couple fic-reading VCs to our lineup. Stop by and read a bit from your own story, read a bit of someone else's fic aloud, or simply listen in and enjoy some small previews of the wonderful fics we have in our community.

How You Can Help

- I'd love to get one-two other people to help me make cards for drabble bingo!

- I'm looking for feedback about one of our events. Over the past few years I've hosted Pokétwo incense drops during the anniversary, but the payout for the past couple years has been, imo, pretty dismal. I'm therefore not planning to bother with Pokétwo stuff this year, but if you would in fact like me to set off some incense, please let me know so I can get it scheduled!

- If you have any interest in running a small event, such as an art or movie stream on Discord, a flash RP, or a little writing game, this would be a great time to do it! Feel free to post here to gauge interest, or send me a DM if there's something you know you'd like to do.

- Any other thoughts on the event--activities you'd like to see (or not like to see!), ways to make it run more smoothly, or different things we ought to try, are all very much welcome!

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Always love me some drabble Bingo. I'd be down to help hand out cards this year if needed.

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
What about an ongoing story-like event? Basically, someone starts a story, then the others have to contribute a few paragraphs to the story, while still having it all make sense.

I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of theater RP or story event.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Happy to help do some bingo cards if you're still looking for folks!

Meridian

local liminal entity
Pronouns
any/all
ach, another year it sneaks up on me again!! whyyyyyyy (dont I memorize the date...)

- I'm looking for feedback about one of our events. Over the past few years I've hosted Pokétwo incense drops during the anniversary, but the payout for the past couple years has been, imo, pretty dismal. I'm therefore not planning to bother with Pokétwo stuff this year, but if you would in fact like me to set off some incense, please let me know so I can get it scheduled!

I find it difficult to keep up with poketwo these days. some years back I would've adored this, but right now I dont expect I'll manage to make usage of it.

- If you have any interest in running a small event, such as an art or movie stream on Discord, a flash RP, or a little writing game, this would be a great time to do it! Feel free to post here to gauge interest, or send me a DM if there's something you know you'd like to do.

this does remind me of my idea for making a chill roleplay thread int he style of trollslum cafe from the mspaforums, but hmm... idk if I'd get that done by the time things are underway. Could always try! Less of a flash event and more of a 'grand opening', but could also try it as a flash event to test it out.. but I think I'd need to try out something PMD-focused alongside the trainer roleplay thread, as this forum has both, and I haven't seen how folks manage to blend the two.

another option I could try out is art streaming, or movie streaming.. could try some SV multiplayer shenanigans

Negrek

Windswept Questant
Staff
Sign-ups are now open for Team Skull Recruitment Mafia! Deceive your friends or sus out the betrayers among you in order to win the coveted position of Team Skull Grunt!

Always love me some drabble Bingo. I'd be down to help hand out cards this year if needed.

Happy to help do some bingo cards if you're still looking for folks!

I might end up out of my depth, but I'd gladly try to help too
Thanks to all three of you! I think with three volunteers we should be all set on people to put together bingo cards this year.

What about an ongoing story-like event? Basically, someone starts a story, then the others have to contribute a few paragraphs to the story, while still having it all make sense.

I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of theater RP or story event.
We do have an ongoing story underway in the games forum right now! But I wouldn't be opposed to another, similar story or RP associated with the anniversary, either. Maybe look at some of Meridian's ideas later on in the thread and see whether any of them sound like something you'd be interested in.

this does remind me of my idea for making a chill roleplay thread int he style of trollslum cafe from the mspaforums, but hmm... idk if I'd get that done by the time things are underway. Could always try! Less of a flash event and more of a 'grand opening', but could also try it as a flash event to test it out.. but I think I'd need to try out something PMD-focused alongside the trainer roleplay thread, as this forum has both, and I haven't seen how folks manage to blend the two.

another option I could try out is art streaming, or movie streaming.. could try some SV multiplayer shenanigans
Lots of good ideas here! (And thanks for your feedback about Pokétwo!)

Either an RP of some kind or a stream could work well, I think. We've had people do both for previous events. Of course, it's understandable to not have things ready to go before the end of the event, and you can of course try any of these later on, separate from the anniversary, too!

FWIW, usually people navigate the PMD/trainer dvide by either a) defining a setting that's either one or the other and having characters transformed into the appropriate species while involved in the game (e.g. a human trainer character getting turned into a pokémon during a PMD-themed RP) or b) using a multidimensional setting where PMD pokémon can exist alongside humans/trained pokémon, and characters may encounter sorts of people they wouldn't be able to in their own world.

Top Bottom