• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Dungeons and Dragons but pokemon?

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Okay, so I've been toying with a PMD story, but with dnd classes and jokes, so like, a combo. Everything is there too. Main charecters, story, blocked out, but my problem is it dosn't feel like a D&D story, it feels like a PMD story with dnd elements. and maybe thats the point. I dunno. I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, or if that would be something people would want to read.

Ittd be called 'dungeons and druddigon'

and some of the charecters include:

Croagunk - Rouge
Popplio - Bard
Meditite - Monk
Blipbug - Wizard

Blacephalon - BBEG

anyway, lemmie know thoughts and stuff

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
I actually have an ongoing miniseries where the humans play "Chambers and Charizards" (with Brock as the dungeon master)

I wonder who the dungeon master is for your characters' campaign?

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Chambers and Charizards is quite good lol.

The dungeon master of this particular campaign is planned to be a Hoopa, calling on pokemon from across the universes to be his NPCs

TL:DR, hyper powerful child DM.

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
heck yeah lol! our tiny crossover fandom grows

my problem is it dosn't feel like a D&D story, it feels like a PMD story with dnd elements. and maybe thats the point.
I've had this problem too, though I suspect we didn't/won't end up with similar solutions (as I ended up not doing mine PMD-style). I'm curious--what do you think are the core elements of a D&D story, and why do you think they're missing?

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
I'm curious--what do you think are the core elements of a D&D story, and why do you think they're missing?
For me I think, the DnD element that's missing the most from a PMD DND experience is that kinda "We are playing a game" energy. Whenever I write for dnd or about dnd, it never gives the same like, genuine awe-inspiring joy that, say, my dnd podcast gives me, and I think I've realized it is what I affectionately like to call "Dumb shit happens because you're playing with your friends"

It's interesting writing for dnd, because I want to write this awe inspiring like, lord of the rings ass adventure, but I tend to fall flat, and forget that dnd, while it is this vast, interactive fantasy adventure, is also at its core a game where you the player can technically justify doing whatever dumb silly thing you want with a high enough dice roll.

and I very much want to write this, but I'm not sure I can deliver on that balence of high fantasy and pokemon and dumb meta humor friendship

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
For me I think, the DnD element that's missing the most from a PMD DND experience is that kinda "We are playing a game" energy. Whenever I write for dnd or about dnd, it never gives the same like, genuine awe-inspiring joy that, say, my dnd podcast gives me, and I think I've realized it is what I affectionately like to call "Dumb shit happens because you're playing with your friends"
That makes sense, definitely one of my favorite things about playing too! You'd mentioned that the DM is this goblin-child Hoopa. Do you have characters in mind for the rest of your table (i.e. the character of the person playing Popplio Rogue)?
It's interesting writing for dnd, because I want to write this awe inspiring like, lord of the rings ass adventure, but I tend to fall flat, and forget that dnd, while it is this vast, interactive fantasy adventure, is also at its core a game where you the player can technically justify doing whatever dumb silly thing you want with a high enough dice roll.
Have you by any chance seen the Honor Among Thieves d&d movie that came out a little while ago? I think they did a really impressive job of blending those two elements (and the meta humor); it might give you some inspiration!

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
That makes sense, definitely one of my favorite things about playing too! You'd mentioned that the DM is this goblin-child Hoopa. Do you have characters in mind for the rest of your table (i.e. the character of the person playing Popplio Rogue)?
Yeah! I just didn't put most of them in here because I didn't know how much I wanted to give away, but they also represent four kinds of players:
- a rules lawyer uptight know-it all (The wizard (blipbug))
- a jokester who never takes anything 100% seriously (Bard (Popplio))
- A new player, who's not quite sure what their doing (Monk (Meditie))
- and a person who's a little too into the roleplay, and tends to try to be the main character (Rouge (croagunk))

There's also a ton of fun meta dnd and poke jokes, but I'm still at this stage just not entirely sure of what I want out of it as a project, though due to the encouregment, I'll probobly write a chapter one, just to see how it goes :)

Dice and S*it

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Sooo, I've come to a moral conundrum. When writing this story, do I....

A: Write in dice rolls that make sense plot-wise

or B: Actually roll a dice to see their outcome?

Both are fun, but I have no idea which one I should do.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Or c. If you have audiance participation make three rolls. Hide thier results behind a set of options... Mind you change thenorder but for example...

option 1 (a good roll) 2 (neutral) or 3 (crt fail)

Then go with whichever roll gets the most votes.

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Or c. If you have audiance participation make three rolls. Hide thier results behind a set of options... Mind you change thenorder but for example...

option 1 (a good roll) 2 (neutral) or 3 (crt fail)

Then go with whichever roll gets the most votes.
Blind triple advantage is crazy, but also I'm planning on having multiple rounds of combat, which is a lot of rolls, so maybe I might do like, one charecter that's the audience? that might be fun actually, and add in that Gameplay aspect I wanted.

actually, now that I'm cooking in the brain department, this might solve everything by audience participation! I have SEVERAL ideas :))))

Kandykorn

Lion Apologist
Pronouns
They/Them
Welp, it's started now, so I guess we'll see lmao

The silly

Top Bottom