• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Chapter 1: Ryme City Welcomes You New

EnderDragonC

Youngster
Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 1
Ryme City Welcomes You

It was 1:30 a.m. in a small, quiet town. The night was cool, with clouds scattered across the sky. A lone Charizard moved stealthily through narrow alleys and hidden passageways, deliberately avoiding the presence of humans. Blood dripped from his back, leaving a crimson trail in his wake. His claws were stained as well, evidence of a recent struggle. Despite being a creature of flight, this Charizard was grounded—his left wing was marred with heavy scars, fresh scratches now oozing blood. A closer look revealed something more sinister: a Team Rocket symbol branded on his scales, with a serial number beneath it—MX-469.

The Charizard felt weak, his strength waning. Unfortunately, a human boy—about 15 years old—spotted him, accompanied by an alert Umbreon. The Umbreon tensed, ready to strike, but the boy raised a hand, signaling it to stand down. He could see the Charizard's weakened state and smirked. "This is going to be an easy catch," he said confidently, raising a Pokéball toward the wounded creature. The Charizard leaned against a nearby wall, lowly growling at the boy, who seemed indifferent to his suffering.

The boy approached the Charizard, inching closer—too close. In a sudden burst of strength, the Charizard seized him and hurled him to the ground. The Umbreon froze, stunned; he had never witnessed a Pokémon intentionally harm a human before. With a powerful stomp, the Charizard crushed the Pokéball underfoot. "Umbreon, do something!" the boy cried out, desperation creeping into his voice. The Umbreon readied itself to attack, but before it could react, the Charizard grabbed the boy again and flung him into the Umbreon. Both boy and Pokémon scrambled to their feet, wincing in pain as they retreated. "This isn’t the last you’ve seen of me," the boy shouted over his shoulder. "Next time, you’ll see—next time!”

The Charizard chuckled at the thought of the boy’s hasty retreat. Curious, he rummaged through the boy's bag and discovered it was filled with Pokéballs. Deciding to rid the world of potential captives, he made his way to a nearby bridge where a river flowed beneath. One by one, he opened each Pokéball, only to find them all empty. Undeterred, he tossed them into the river, watching as they floated away, never to be used again. Returning to the bag, he discovered a binder filled with papers—documents detailing major cities and a mysterious list.

As he scans the list, his eyes catch on Ryme City—completely crossed off. Flipping through the binder, he finds no information about Ryme City, only documents on other cities with large arenas and Pokémon Centers designed for battles. A surge of anger rises within him, and in frustration, he hurls the binder into the river. As it sinks, a crumpled piece of paper tumbles out of the bag, catching his eye. Curious, he smooths it out, expecting to see the familiar layout of an arena or a grand complex. But instead, the paper reveals something entirely different—a picture of a serene park, completely unlike the others.

The description detailed how Ryme City was unlike any other—a safe haven where Pokémon could live in peace, free from capture or battle. This caught his attention; he had never heard of such a place. Curious and perhaps hopeful, he carefully placed the paper back in the bag and slung it around his neck. With renewed purpose, he set off in a new direction, seeking something that could finally bring meaning to his life.

In the bustling heart of Ryme City, morning rays filtered through a window into a cluttered apartment. A woman stood beside a Snivy, meticulously organizing a chaotic spread of photos, papers, and sticky notes—each piece seemingly part of a larger conspiracy. As she worked, a man entered the room, balancing a cup holder with three out of four coffees, while a Goodra trailed behind him, cradling his own cup.

"Hey, Eclipsa, what’s all of… this?" Francisco asked as he stepped into the room, his eyes scanning the scattered papers and photos.

"Hi, Francisco," Eclipsa replied, offering a small smile as she reached for one of the coffees he brought. "Thanks for this."

She took a few sips, savoring the warmth before turning her attention back to the chaotic spread on the table. "These are all the pieces of information we’ve gathered over the past few months—or so, I think.”

She tied a few strings to a pin on the wall, then stretched them across the chaotic collage to connect with another pin, further linking the puzzle pieces together. Nearby, Francisco’s gaze fell on a newspaper detailing the deaths of a politician and his Pokémon at the airport. Intrigued, he reached out to pick it up, but before he could, Snivy snapped a vine at his hand, stopping him in his tracks.

"Don't touch anything," Eclipsa warned, her voice firm as she focused on the intricate web of connections she was creating.

Francisco winced, rubbing his hand where Snivy had struck him. "I won't," he muttered, still eyeing the cluttered wall. His gaze settled on a prominent Team Rocket logo at the center. "What's up with the Team Rocket logo in the middle?”

Eclipsa paused, her expression thoughtful. "I’m not sure yet, but somehow they’re tangled up in some big conspiracy.”

Just then, Eclipsa’s phone rang. She pulled it from her pocket, glancing at the notification. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she read the message. "We need to go somewhere," she said, slipping the phone back into her pocket.

Francisco shrugged, a small grin playing on his lips. "You're the boss.”

Meanwhile, in the shadowy backstreets of the city, two Pokémon clashed in a brutal battle within a secret fight club. The crowd roared with excitement, their cheers echoing off the grimy walls. A Charizard moved quietly behind the crowd, his attention focused not on the fight, but on something deeper within the building. He slipped into a dimly lit hallway, pausing at a small window. Inside, a group of humans huddled around four briefcases brimming with cash. He observed as two of them shook hands, their business concluded. After closing their briefcases, they exited the room. The Charizard waited a moment, then silently followed them into the alley

The gang boss leaned forward, his eyes narrowing with anticipation. "Let’s see it," he commanded.

One of the gang members moved swiftly, opening the back of the truck to reveal a Lugia encased in a cryo chamber. The creature lay motionless, its powerful form suspended in an eerie stillness.

A slow grin spread across the boss’s face. "Sweet. This is going to bring in a lot of money. How did you even manage to get your hands on one of these?”

The dealer, a man with a sly demeanor, shrugged casually. "It was sent in by Team Rocket.”

The boss’s grin faded, replaced by suspicion. He turned to the dealer, his eyes narrowing. "That still doesn’t explain the catch. Why would Team Rocket hand me 20 million dollars and a Lugia for free?”

The dealer’s expression remained calm, almost too calm. "Let’s just say that the mysterious death of a certain politician has attracted the attention of some of his… influential friends.”

With a smirk, the dealer pulled out a crisp envelope and handed it to the boss. "You’re invited to the memorial," he added, "which, by the way, is being held on a yacht.”

The Charizard’s eyes darted around the scene, quickly realizing he needed that invitation. But before he could make a move, pain shot through his tail—he turned sharply to see a Garchomp pinning it down. Reacting instinctively, the Charizard rammed his head into the Garchomp’s neck, attempting to push her to the ground. The impact staggered her, giving the Charizard just enough time to unleash a powerful Flamethrower, the flames engulfing the Garchomp. But before he could press the advantage, a blast of water struck him from the side—a Vaporeon, expertly timing its Water Gun attack. The sudden torrent doused the flames and weakened the Charizard, giving the Garchomp the upper hand. She quickly recovered and slammed him to the ground, pinning him beneath her.

The gang members quickly formed a tight circle around the Charizard, their guns trained on him. The men who had delivered the money and the Lugia had already slipped out of sight, leaving the Charizard surrounded.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? A Charizard, huh? Where’s your trainer?" one of the men taunted, a smirk on his face. The Charizard responded with a low, menacing growl, his fiery eyes locked on the speaker. As his anger flared, the water on his scales began to evaporate, and the flame on the tip of his tail blazed brighter and more intense.

"Boss, get back!" one of the gang members shouted, yanking his leader out of the Charizard’s reach. The others moved quickly, one slamming the truck door shut, sealing away the Lugia.

With a powerful flick of his tail, the Charizard sent the Vaporeon crashing into the alleyway wall, leaving the Pokémon dazed and out of the fight. The Garchomp, feeling the searing heat radiating from Charizard’s body, instinctively released her grip, backing away as the temperature became unbearable. But before she could retreat further, the Charizard seized her, pulling her close and using her as a shield just as the gang members opened fire.

"Go now!" the gang boss yelled, his voice tinged with panic. The truck’s driver slammed on the gas, speeding away from the chaos. Meanwhile, another gang member scrambled into a van, the engine roaring to life as he prepared to follow. The Charizard sprang onto the roof of the van just as it began to speed away. The driver jerked the wheel sharply, careening out of the alleyway and nearly tipping the vehicle over. Claws digging into the metal roof, the Charizard held on tightly as the van swerved wildly through traffic, the city streets a blur around them.

Desperate, one of the gang members leaned out of the window, throwing a Pokéball with a shout. "Scyther, I choose you!" The Pokéball hit the asphalt with a clatter, releasing a Scyther that materialized in the street behind them, his blades gleaming in the morning light.

The Scyther soared above Charizard, his blades flashing as he unleashed a relentless Fury Cutter. Charizard dodged skillfully, but the Scyther’s speed was relentless. With a swift strike, the Scyther's blade sliced across Charizard’s hand, forcing him to release his grip on the van. Charizard tumbled onto the street, rolling to minimize the impact of the fall. He winced as he came to a stop, feeling the sting of the cut on his hand. Up ahead, the van screeched to a halt, and the Scyther landed behind Charizard, blocking his path. The air filled with the sound of cars screeching to a stop, narrowly avoiding the two Pokémon. Charizard struggled to his feet, pain coursing through his body, but his resolve remained unshaken. His tail flame burned brighter, its light intensifying as he braced himself for the next round of battle.

Before Charizard and Scyther could clash again, the blare of sirens filled the air as police vehicles screeched to a stop at both ends of the street. The flashing lights reflected off the buildings, casting an ominous glow over the scene. An Espeon, distinguished by a necklace with a gem embedded in it, dashed forward with swift grace. Without hesitation, the Espeon used Rest on the Scyther, causing the Pokémon to collapse into a peaceful slumber, his blades drooping.

Sensing the opportunity, Charizard bolted, sprinting down the street with the Espeon in hot pursuit. The Espeon’s eyes glowed with determination as she chased after him, refusing to let him escape. In a desperate move, Charizard spotted a fire escape on the side of a building. He leaped up, grabbing the metal ladder and pulling himself up as fast as his wounded body would allow. The Espeon skidded to a halt below, watching as the Charizard ascended, out of reach—for now.

In the heart of downtown, within the Ryme City Police Headquarters, Eclipsa sat across from a disheveled member of Team Skull in a stark interrogation room. The fluorescent lights buzzed softly, casting harsh shadows on the walls. Eclipsa placed a photo of a woman on the table, sliding it toward the man.

"Can you tell me anything about this woman?" Eclipsa asked, her tone firm but measured.

The man glanced at the photo and shrugged, leaning back in his chair. "Like I told the other detectives, I don’t know nothin’.”

Eclipsa’s eyes narrowed slightly. "Please, I need to know who this woman works for.”

He hesitated, scratching at the back of his neck. "All I know is she used to work for Howard Clifford.”

Eclipsa’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. "The Founder?”

"Yep," the man replied, a smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Eclipsa leaned in, her voice lowering to a near whisper. "But who does she work for now? That’s what I need to know.”

The door to the interrogation room creaked open, and an Ampharos peeked in, shaking his head slightly at Eclipsa. She sighed and rose from her chair.

"Excuse me for a moment," she said to the Team Skull member, her voice calm but tinged with frustration.

Eclipsa walked out of the room, and the Ampharos quietly shut the door behind them, leaving the suspect alone under the harsh fluorescent lights. Martin, his face tight with irritation, approached her.

"Who let you in here?" he demanded.

"Leo did," Eclipsa replied, her tone steady.

Martin’s frustration boiled over. "LEO, OFFICE NOW!”

Without another word, they made their way to Martin’s office. Inside, Martin took a seat behind his desk, his expression stern. Francisco and his Goodra were already there, waiting. Eclipsa and the Ampharos entered, with Leo trailing behind, his expression a mix of apprehension and defiance. Martin’s frustration was evident as he leaned forward, his voice firm. "How many times do I have to tell you guys to stay out of my station?”

Eclipsa remained calm, though her determination was clear. "I was told you have a suspect who made a deal with the Shadow Woman…”

Martin cut her off, his tone softening slightly. "Eclipsa, you're not a cop; you're a civilian. I don't want to see you get hurt. You have to leave this to the professionals.”

Eclipsa’s eyes flashed with conviction. "But what about the truth? People deserve to know what's going on.”

Leo spoke up, trying to bridge the gap. "She can help us in some ways.”

Martin shot Leo a look. "I'll get to you in a second." He then turned back to Eclipsa, his voice firm but not unkind. "Listen, you only have a PokTube channel.”

Eclipsa nodded, unflinching. "Yes, PokTube isn’t perfect, but it’s the best we’ve got.”

The radio crackled to life, a voice coming through urgently. "Mr. Rouge spotted in the area of Lebanon Avenue, Downtown. Be on the lookout. Over.”

Francisco glanced at Leo, curiosity evident in his eyes. "Who’s Mr. Rouge?”

Leo replied, his tone casual but with a hint of admiration. "He’s a wild Charizard that’s been loose in the city for about four months now. We know nothing about who the trainer is or where he came from.”

Eclipsa frowned, surprised. "How come I’ve never heard of this?”

Martin, his patience wearing thin, shot her a look. "Because you don’t need to." He then turned to Ampharos. "Ampharos, take them outside, please.”

Ampharos nodded and gestured for them to follow, leading them out of the office and down the hall. As they stepped outside, Snivy deftly unlocked the truck with a flick of her vine. Eclipsa turned to Francisco. "You’re driving.”

"On it," Francisco replied, sliding into the driver’s seat. Once they were all inside, the truck rumbled to life, and they pulled away from the station. Eclipsa immediately pulled out her phone, her fingers moving quickly as she searched for information on the Wild Charizard. Francisco glanced over at her, his eyes briefly leaving the road. "You’re looking up that Wild Charizard, aren’t you?”

"Yes, I am," Eclipsa replied, her eyes glued to her phone.

Francisco shot her a skeptical glance. "And what exactly is your plan here?”

Eclipsa didn’t look up, her focus still on the screen. "We’ll figure that out along the way.”

Francisco frowned, gripping the steering wheel a bit tighter. "I don’t think going after a Charizard without a plan is the smartest move. Can we at least have some sort of strategy?”

Eclipsa finally looked up, a thoughtful expression crossing her face. "Hmm. Actually, I might have an idea. But first, we need to grab some supplies.”

“Snivy,” the Pokémon called out, pointing with a vine toward a nearby pharmacy where a small crowd had gathered.

Eclipsa rolled down her window, leaning out slightly to ask a question. "What’s going on over there?”

A bystander, looking a bit puzzled, shrugged. "I’m not sure. They just kicked everyone out.”

As they exchanged words, Francisco’s eyes caught something unsettling—a trail of blood leading down an alley beside the building. Without a word, he pulled the truck over and parked next to the pharmacy, the engine idling quietly. Francisco gave a half-smile as he unbuckled his seatbelt. "Well, at least we’ve got a story for today.”

Eclipsa frowned slightly, her tone skeptical. "You know I don’t like covering short, cash-grab stories.”

Francisco shrugged. "You never know—it might turn into something bigger.”

Eclipsa sighed, conceding. "...Sure, why not. But it better be worth it.”

They stepped out of the truck, making their way toward the pharmacy. As they approached the building, they noticed the back door was ajar, the lock clearly broken. Without a word, they slipped inside, the tension in the air thickening with each step. They moved cautiously down the aisles, eyes scanning the shelves. When they reached the sixth aisle, stocked with bandages and first aid supplies, they froze. There, in the center, was a Charizard, surrounded by pharmacy employees who kept their distance, clearly unsure of what to do. The Charizard growled lowly, its eyes darting between the humans as it clumsily wrapped a bandage around its own arm with its mouth. But even from where they stood, Eclipsa could see that the creature was on the verge of collapsing, its movements sluggish and weak. As Eclipsa studied the Charizard more closely, her eyes widened in recognition. There, on its heavily scarred wing, was the unmistakable Team Rocket logo. Just below it, a serial number: MX-469. Eclipsa stepped forward, her voice firm but curious. "Who does this Charizard belong to?”

Lucario, standing nearby, shrugged its shoulders in response. One of the employees, a woman with a nervous expression, shook her head. "We don’t know.”

Another employee, a man, added, "He just kinda walked in here on his own.”

The woman turned to Lucario, frowning. "I thought you got everyone out?”

Francisco glanced at the Charizard, then back at the employees. "Did you call an ambulance?”

The man nodded, but his face tightened in worry. "We tried, but he doesn't want us to.”

The Charizard winced as he curled his tail around, trying to squeeze out a bullet lodged deep within. A whimper escaped him as the pain surged through his body. Noticing this, Snivy cautiously approached. The Charizard growled weakly, his instincts kicking in despite his exhausted state, but he was too drained to put up much of a fight. With careful precision, Snivy extended her vines, gently probing the wound. The Charizard flinched but didn't resist. After a tense moment, she located the bullet and, with a swift motion, pulled it free. The Charizard let out a sharp breath, more in relief than in pain. Snivy quickly cleaned the wound with the alcohol the Charizard had been using earlier, her small hands working efficiently as she bandaged him up. The Charizard, still trembling, attempted to stand, but his strength failed him. With a soft thud, he collapsed, unconscious.

Eclipsa glanced at the employees, her voice calm but concerned. "He hasn't hurt anyone, has he?”

The first employee shook her head. "No, he hasn't. Are you going to take him away?”

Francisco started to interject, but Eclipsa quickly responded, "Yes, we will take him.”

With that, Eclipsa and Goodra moved closer to the unconscious Charizard. Goodra gently positioned itself to support his weight, while Eclipsa carefully lifted his front half. Snivy extended her vines, offering what little help she could, her small form straining as she assisted in the effort. Francisco, seeing the struggle, stepped in to help lift the Charizard. "Why are we taking a rogue Charizard with us?" he asked, his voice tinged with concern.

Eclipsa glanced at him as they maneuvered the unconscious Pokémon. "Like you said, you never know," she replied, a hint of determination in her tone.

Francisco hesitated, his grip tightening. "But what if he's dangerous? What if he tries to kill us?”

Eclipsa shook her head slightly. "Someone shot him, Francisco. And we both know the police use Psychic-type Pokémon to put others to sleep when needed.”

"So, we're turning him in…right?" Francisco pressed, searching her face for reassurance.

Eclipsa’s eyes flickered with something unreadable. "Eventually.”

Francisco sighed, his doubt evident. "I hope you know what you're doing.”

Chapter 2: The Start of Something New New

EnderDragonC

Youngster
Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 2
The Start of Something New

In the heart of downtown, where towering skyscrapers reach for the heavens, one building loomed above the rest—Team Rocket Laboratories, its name glowing ominously against the night sky. Inside, a woman sat in a sleek, modern room, her Eevee curled up beside her on one of the plush chairs surrounding a glass coffee table. The room was bathed in the eerie glow of neon advertisements filtering through the large window, casting shifting colors across the polished surfaces. The door opened quietly, and Lucario entered, carefully balancing a tray with two steaming cups and a bowl of water. He set it down on the table with practiced ease, just as a man in a crisp Team Rocket uniform followed him into the room. The woman looked up as the man entered the room. "Hello, Simon," she greeted, her voice calm but with an underlying edge.

"Hi, Grace," Simon responded, a slight smile playing on his lips. "Tell me, how’s the prototype working for you?”

Grace’s hand lightly stroked Eevee’s soft fur. "It appears to be working in perfect condition.”

Simon leaned in slightly, his interest piqued. "Show me.”

At Grace’s command, the gem on Eevee’s necklace began to glow, shifting from a soft light to a deep, dark blue. In an instant, the small Eevee transformed, its body lengthening and darkening as it evolved into an Umbreon, the room’s ambient light reflecting off its sleek, shadowy fur.

Simon observed the newly evolved Umbreon for a moment before nodding in approval. "Seems to be working well, but some further testing should be done to be certain.”

Grace offered a polite smile, though her eyes remained sharp. "I'm glad to hear that, Simon. But I’m not just here for that. I need information about the murder.”

Simon’s expression hardened, his tone turning dismissive. "Why would the PIA waste their time with a murder? Don’t you people have a gym to inspect?”

Grace’s smile faded slightly, replaced by a more serious expression. "Inspecting gyms isn't the only thing we do at the PIA. Since your founder attempted to transfer the consciousness of every human in the city into their Pokémon, the Battle Agency has taken a keen interest.”

Simon leaned back slightly, crossing his arms. "You know there’s nothing the Battle Agency can do to change this city’s stance on Pokémon battles, right?”

Grace remained calm, her voice steady. "We’re not here to change anything, Simon. We’re here to understand it. To embrace what makes this city tick—including the little 'gift' you provided for Eva, my Eevee.”

Simon's eyes narrowed slightly, studying her before nodding to Lucario standing by. "Lucario, escort these ladies to sector 32b. Let them take their time with the inspection. But remind them—don’t touch anything.”

Grace gave a slight nod, a polite but cool smile on her lips. "Thank you, Simon.”

Eva reverted from its Umbreon form, bowing her head in a small gesture of thanks as the glow from the necklace faded. Lucario silently motioned for them to follow, leading them out of the room. Simon watched them leave, his expression unreadable. Once alone, he moved to the window, staring out at the sprawling cityscape, his mind clearly occupied with thoughts beyond the glass.

Charizard’s eyes fluttered open, the world around him slowly coming into focus. He found himself in a dimly lit, cramped room, the air heavy with the scent of machinery. Filtering systems hummed softly, and the steady thrum of air conditioners vibrated through the metal walls. Groggily, he pushed himself up, his muscles stiff from the earlier confrontation. As he adjusted to his surroundings, the sound of slimy footsteps echoed from beyond the door. His instincts kicked in, and he quickly moved to stand beside the maintenance door, his body tense, ready to pounce. He held his breath, waiting for the door to open. The door creaked open, and in a blur of motion, Charizard lunged. Before the Goodra had time to react, Charizard had slammed it to the floor, his claws pinning Goodra's tail to the cold, rocky surface. The Goodra squirmed, eyes wide with fear, its breath coming in quick, panicked gasps. Charizard’s jaws parted, flames licking the back of his throat, but before he could unleash his fiery wrath, a sharp voice cut through the tension. Two humans and a Snivy rushed forward, their hands raised in a gesture of peace.

“Easy, easy now,” one of the humans said, her tone calm but firm. “I'm sure you're very confused right now, but we're not here to hurt you; I promise. My name is Eclipsa.”

Eclipsa spoke softly as she took slow, cautious steps toward the Charizard. His growl reverberated through the roof top, a clear warning for her to keep her distance. She halted, raising her hands to show she meant no harm. Nestled in her palms were a few mushrooms, their earthy scent wafting through the air. Charizard sniffed at the offering, his nostrils flaring as the scent reached him. His growl subsided, but his eyes remained wary. He leaned in closer, examining the mushrooms, and hesitated. As he considered the food, a thought crossed his mind: the Snivy at her side might be of use to him, perhaps for something more important than the meal in front of him.

Eclipsa spoke in a calm, reassuring tone. “See? No one’s going to hurt you.”

The Charizard eyed her for a moment longer before devouring the mushrooms in a few quick bites. But before anyone could react, he lunged forward, snatching Snivy with a swift movement. In one powerful leap, he vaulted off the roof, landing with a heavy thud on the fire escape below. Francisco, Eclipsa, and Goodra stood frozen in shock for a split second, watching as the Charizard began his rapid descent down the metal stairs. Realizing what had happened, they snapped into action, sprinting toward the staircase and racing downward as fast as their legs would carry them. Meanwhile, Charizard reached the bottom of the fire escape and quickly found a discarded paper bag. With a swift motion, he placed Snivy inside and slung the bag over his shoulder.

Francisco, breathless from the chase, shouted as they entered the garage floor and hurried to his pickup truck. “I knew this was a bad idea! Now he’s got Snivy, and who knows what that wild Charizard will do next!”

Eclipsa, surprisingly calm, glanced at him. “Relax, Snivy will be fine. We planned for this.”

Francisco shot her a look of disbelief. “You’re telling me you expected this to happen?”

As they buckled in, Eclipsa spoke, her tone calm. "Think about it, Francisco. If you were on the run and woke up to find out you’d been captured by strangers, wouldn’t you bolt too? That’s why we put a tracker on him.”

Francisco glanced at her, a mix of frustration and disbelief on his face. "I’m not even gonna ask how you managed that. But what about Snivy getting taken? Was that part of your plan?”

Eclipsa hesitated for a moment before admitting, "That... I didn’t predict.”

“Goodra!” the Pokémon urged, his voice filled with urgency as he gestured for Francisco to move.

Francisco shot Goodra with a surprised glance. “Alright, alright—watch the language, Goodra,” Francisco muttered, quickly shifting the truck into reverse and sped out of the garage.

By noon, Charizard and Snivy had reached the Fight Club. Snivy, still struggling inside the paper bag, wriggled furiously as Charizard carefully lifted her out and placed her atop a trash can lid. She swatted at his hands in frustration, her tiny strikes doing little more than expressing her displeasure. Charizard rumbled a soft growl, trying to communicate his need. "Charizard," he murmured, explaining the importance of the invitation. Snivy glared up at him, her eyes narrowed in irritation. "Snivy!" she snapped, clearly upset. Realizing he had upset her, Charizard’s tone softened. "Char," he said apologetically. Snivy paused, then let out a sigh. "Snivy," she replied, her voice gentler now, signaling that she would help him. Charizard's lips twitched, almost forming a smile, but he quickly caught himself, his expression returning to its usual stern demeanor. Snivy carefully opened the window, slipping inside to begin her search. Charizard remained outside, his body pressed flat against the building’s wall as he kept watch. Inside, Snivy moved stealthily, her small form easily navigating the shadows. She darted under a desk just as the sound of footsteps echoed from the hallway. Charizard quickly ducked down, his breath held as several people entered the room. One of them held a small device, fiddling with it as they approached the desk. The boss, with an air of authority, placed the invitation on the desk, oblivious to Snivy’s presence just beneath it.

The man leaned forward, his eyes narrowing as he studied the small device in the scientist’s hands. "So, how does this thing work?" he asked, his voice carrying a mix of curiosity and menace.

The scientist adjusted his glasses and responded with a measured tone. "It's quite simple. This device is a beacon. It emits a powerful sonic frequency, specifically tuned to anything equipped with the corresponding headset.”

"Is that what the Lugia's wearing?” One of the gang members asked

"Yes," the scientist confirmed with a nod.

The boss raised an eyebrow. "Can we test it?”

The scientist hesitated, then shook his head. "I'm afraid that's not possible. It's a one-time use device. Once activated, the beacon will cause Lugia unbearable pain. It'll drive the Pokémon to do anything to make it stop—even if that means destroying an entire boat filled with people.”

As the scientist explained the device’s deadly potential, Snivy, hidden beneath the desk, silently extended a vine toward the window. She managed to slip the invitation outside for Charizard to retrieve.

The scientist’s voice grew colder. "This is precisely why the invitation was sent to you. To get the device on that boat and activate it.”

The gang boss smirked, his eyes gleaming with dark intent. "So that’s what the invitation is for.”

The scientist nodded, reaching into his coat pocket and taking out an Ultra Pokéball. "You'll also need this," he said, handing it over.

The man accepted the Pokéball, his fingers closing around it with a sense of finality. Snivy, perched on the edge of the windowsill, froze. She hesitated, her curiosity piqued despite the risk.

The scientist continued, "Once everything is done, and the chaos settles, this is your key to controlling the Lugia.”

The man's lips curled into a satisfied grin. "Good. Now—”

A sudden blare of honking cut through the air, startling everyone in the room. The gang boss's head snapped towards the window just as Francisco's pickup truck screeched to a halt outside. Eclipsa stepped out, her presence immediately commanding attention as she shouted up at the building, "Hey, what are you doing up there? Is this some sort of secret hideout?”

The man, now peering through the window, spotted her and immediately noticed the missing invitation. His expression darkened, and with a sharp gesture, he signaled everyone to leave the room.

"Snivy, are you okay?" Eclipsa called out, worry creeping into her voice.

Charizard, still perched on the building, saw that only the scientist remained in the room. Seizing the moment, he grabbed Snivy and quickly began descending. As they reached the ground, Charizard leaped onto the back of Francisco's truck. Snivy, sensing the danger, rushed Eclipsa, urging her to get inside. The urgency was clear as a gunshot rang out, taking off the side mirror. Without hesitation, Francisco slammed the accelerator, the truck lurching forward as they sped away from the scene. The gunfire echoed behind them before finally fading into silence. Charizard, sensing the immediate danger had passed, slipped under the soft tonneau cover at the back of the truck to hide.

"What was that?" Francisco asked, his voice tinged with panic.

"I don't know," Eclipsa replied, still catching her breath. "I know as much as you do.”

Snivy, eager to share her discovery, handed Eclipsa the invitation. Eclipsa's eyes widened with excitement as she read it. Francisco glanced at her, his face a mix of confusion and disbelief.

"Why are you smiling? We almost died!" he exclaimed.

Eclipsa, still holding the invitation, responded, "Because we've got the invitation—an invitation to the funeral." Then, turning to Snivy, she asked, "Wait, how did you get this?”

Snivy pointed toward Charizard, who was now hidden beneath the truck cover. Eclipsa looked back at the invitation, then toward Charizard, piecing together the connection.

Grace and Leo sat in their SUV, eyes fixed on the gang member and his Scyther as they walked down the sidewalk, freshly released from the station.

"Are you sure following them is a good idea?" Leo asked, his tone laced with uncertainty.

Grace sighed, keeping her gaze steady on the targets. "Did you get anything useful out of him?”

Leo shook his head, frustration clear in his voice. "No. He just kept going on about running some donut ice cream shop. Nothing useful.”

Grace tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, her mind racing. "Then we stick with Plan B. Let’s see where they lead us.”

Just then, the radio crackled to life, reporting gunshots in the area. Grace quickly grabbed it, responding, "We're on it.”

She glanced at Leo, a smirk tugging at her lips. "Ice cream and donuts? Was he hinting at Dunkin Robbins?”

Leo frowned, shaking his head. "He never mentioned Dunkin Robbins.”

Grace picked up her personal radio, speaking directly to her Umbreon. "Eva, I’m going to check out the scene. Keep us updated, okay?”

"Umbre," came the soft reply, before Grace placed the radio down and started the SUV.

Leo eyed her warily. "What are you doing?”

"Heading to the shooting," Grace replied, her voice firm. As they sped off, Eva, still in her Umbreon form, silently slipped into the shadows, tailing the guy and his Scyther unnoticed.

They soon arrived at Francisco's and Goodra's house, perched on a steep hill. As they pulled up, Charizard leapt out of the truck, his eyes locked on the group. Snivy quickly wrapped the invitation in a ball of vines, holding it securely. Everyone stepped out, with Eclipsa cradling Snivy in her arms. Charizard approached, his intense gaze signaling his demand—he wanted the invitation. Eclipsa instinctively took a few steps back, her movements causing Charizard's tail flame to flare dangerously. Goodra quickly moved between them, positioning himself as a shield. Charizard's growl deepened, his eyes locked on Goodra, ready for a confrontation. From the other side of the truck, Francisco observed the standoff, an idea suddenly sparking in his mind.

“Hey–” He shouted. Charizard’s head whipped around, his piercing gaze now fixed on Francisco, who couldn’t help but feel a jolt of fear as his heart skipped a beat. He then takes a deep breath and continues “How do you expect to get in? They're not going to just let a Charizard in without someone with him, especially when there's a rogue Charizard running around."

Eclipsa glanced at Francisco, then back at Charizard. "He’s right. You need us.”

After a moment of consideration, Charizard let out a low rumble, his gaze softening slightly. Without another word, they all made their way inside the house. Charizard moved toward the backyard, pausing at the edge of the patio, where the city sprawled out beneath them, glittering in the evening light. The rest of them gathered around a low coffee table in the living room, the invitation lying in the center, its presence almost ominous. Eclipsa studied it intently, her mind racing. They still didn’t know exactly what Charizard wanted from them, but the invitation seemed to hold the key. The air was thick with unspoken questions, but one thing was certain—they were in this together, whether they fully understood it yet or not. Francisco crossed his arms, his brow furrowed in thought. "So...what now?"

Eclipsa stared at the invitation on the table, then shifted her gaze to the Charizard lingering in the backyard. "Well, he wants it for some reason, but I’m not sure why.”

Francisco’s voice grew tense with suspicion. "What if he's working for Team Rocket?"

Eclipsa shook her head slowly, her eyes narrowing as she considered the possibility. "I’m not sure. There are a lot of scratches and scars on his wings, especially around the logo.”

Francisco glanced at Charizard through the window, then back at Eclipsa. "Are you suggesting he did that to himself?”

"Not entirely," Eclipsa admitted, her voice thoughtful. "But it’s a possibility we can’t ignore.”

Before they could discuss further, Snivy tugged at Eclipsa’s sleeve, drawing their attention. With a determined expression, Snivy pulled out a piece of paper from her vine. It was crumpled, but the sketch on it was unmistakable—a mechanical device and a Lugia. Eclipsa’s eyes widened as she unfolded the paper. "What?!”

Francisco leaned in, confusion etched on his face. "What did she draw?”

Snivy frantically repeated her explanation, her small voice rising in urgency. Eclipsa's face paled as Snivy’s words sank in. "She’s saying there’s a Lugia out there, and this device is supposed to attract it. But...why?”

Snivy continued, her tone growing more desperate. Eclipsa’s heart raced, dread creeping into her voice. "They’re going to use the Lugia to kill everyone on that boat.”

Grace and Leo circled the block, their footsteps echoing softly against the pavement as they scanned their surroundings. The SUV, parked in front of a Dunkin' Donuts, seemed out of place in the quiet street. Grace’s gaze darted between the storefronts and the shadows, her mind racing.

"Find anything?" she asked, her tone edged with frustration.

Leo shook his head, his expression grim. "No.”

Grace sighed, her disappointment evident. She was about to turn away when something caught her eye—a security camera perched high on one of the streetlights, its lens reflecting the dim streetlights. She stopped, her eyes narrowing as she studied it. “Wait… up there,” she said, pointing. "We might have something after all.”

Leo followed her gaze, his eyes narrowing as he assessed the situation. Without a word, he turned and walked briskly to the SUV. Moments later, he returned with a laptop, setting it up on the hood of the vehicle. "It only goes back 24 hours," Leo informed her, his fingers flying across the keyboard as he plugged the laptop into the base of the streetlight.

Grace leaned in closer, her breath barely a whisper. "That's good enough.”

The screen flickered to life, displaying a grainy live feed from the camera. Leo quickly began rewinding through the footage, the hours speeding by in reverse. "Hang on," Grace said suddenly, her voice sharp with urgency. "Go forward a bit.” Leo let the feed play, and soon a red truck sped down the street, its side mirror bent and the body peppered with bullet holes. Grace's eyes narrowed as she caught sight of it. "Zoom in on that license plate," she instructed, her voice tight with anticipation.

Leo complied, zooming in until the plate came into focus. As he did, an icon appeared above it, blinking with identification data. With a click, the icon expanded, revealing the owner of the truck: Francisco. "Wait a minute," Leo muttered, recognition flashing in his eyes. "I know this guy.”

Grace turned to him, her expression intent. "Can he provide us with valuable information?”

Leo nodded, already thinking ahead. "Yes, he can.”

Eclipsa stepped into the room, her dark blue dress flowing elegantly around her. The fabric shimmered slightly in the light, accentuating her every movement. Francisco, who had been adjusting his tie, glanced up and immediately froze, his breath catching in his throat.

“Well, what do you guys think?” Eclipsa asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice.

Francisco finally managed to find his voice. “You look... really good. Like, really good.”

Eclipsa smiled, a soft blush coloring her cheeks. “Thanks. Your suit looks amazing too.”

Francisco blushed in return, the two of them sharing a quiet moment of mutual admiration. Nearby, Goodra and Snivy exchanged knowing glances, fully aware of just how much their trainers liked each other. A knock echoed through the room, and Francisco moved to the door. "Who is it?" he called, his voice cautious.

"It's Leo," came the reply. "A friend and I have a few questions to ask you about your truck.”

Francisco hesitated for a moment, then opened the door, letting them in. As soon as Leo stepped inside, his eyes fell on the Charizard in the backyard. His hand instinctively moved towards his gun, but Grace, standing beside him, quickly placed a firm hand on his arm, stopping him from drawing it. "That's not a fight you'll win," she said quietly, her eyes never leaving the Charizard.

Eclipsa stepped forward, her voice calm but firm. "Besides, he's with us.”

Leo, still tense, lowered his hand but didn't relax entirely. His gaze shifted from Charizard to the group, a mixture of confusion and suspicion in his eyes. "You guys have some explaining to do.”

Meanwhile, Eva the Eevee had been trailing the gang member and his Scyther for a while, her small paws making barely a sound on the pavement. The pair finally reached a looming warehouse, its exterior worn and shadowed under the fading light. The gang member and his Scyther slipped through the main entrance without a glance behind them, the heavy door creaking shut. Eva paused, her ears twitching as she assessed the building. She darted to the side, spotting a slightly ajar window just above ground level. With a quick, silent leap, she squeezed through the gap, landing softly inside. The interior was dimly lit, filled with the faint hum of machinery and the musty scent of old wood. Eva’s eyes gleamed as she scanned the room, her instincts on high alert as she carefully began her search. She cautiously padded through the dimly lit corridors of the facility, her senses heightened by the unfamiliar surroundings, the air was cool and sterile. She came to a halt in front of a large, imposing cryo chamber that dominated the center of a cavernous room. Nearby, several speed boats were lined up, their sleek forms gleaming under the harsh overhead lights. Eva’s eyes narrowed as her gaze fixed on the cryo chamber. Her instincts told her something was wrong, something powerful and dangerous was being kept inside. As she focused, the gem on her necklace began to glow with an intense purple light. Her small frame shimmered, and in a burst of energy, she evolved into Espeon, her psychic powers amplifying as her form changed. She reached out with her mind, probing the cryo chamber’s contents. What she found made her fur stand on end—a Lugia, trapped in deep sleep, its massive form encased in frozen gelatin. The sight sent a shiver down her spine. Without wasting a moment, Eva activated the radio she had been carrying, her voice clear and urgent as she relayed the discovery to Grace. "Espeon," she communicated, her tone filled with concern.

On the other end, Grace’s voice came through calmly, though there was an edge of tension. "Good. I’ll text you my current location. Stay alert, and don’t take any unnecessary risks.”

Chapter 3: Battle in the Harbor New

EnderDragonC

Youngster
Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 3
Battle in the Harbor

At the RCPD headquarters, Martin spread out a large blueprint of the yacht across the table, the paper rustling softly under his fingertips. The room was quiet, the air thick with anticipation as everyone gathered around to listen.

“Let’s go over the plan again,” Martin said, his voice steady as he pointed to various sections of the blueprint. “Eclipsa, Snivy, and Charizard will board the yacht. Francisco and Goodra will blend in as maintenance staff, while Lapras and Leo will be on lookout duty. Meanwhile, I’ll be leading an elite team to storm the warehouse.”

Francisco leaned back in his chair, glancing at the blueprint with a furrowed brow. “And what about them?” he asked, nodding toward Grace.

Grace crossed her arms, a slight smirk playing on her lips. “Eva and I have a fight club to inspect,” she replied, her tone making it clear she was ready for whatever lay ahead.

In a separate room, Eclipsa worked quietly, wrapping a length of bandage around Charizard’s wing. The Charizard let out a low growl, his eyes narrowing as the bandage tightened too much, pressing against the sensitive spot where his tattoo was hidden.

“Sorry,” Eclipsa murmured, loosening the wrap slightly before continuing. “But this has to look legit. I don’t even want to think about what would happen if someone saw that tattoo. We’re in enough trouble as it is.”

Charizard rumbled softly, a mixture of irritation and understanding in his tone. He knew the risks as well as she did, and though the tight bandage was uncomfortable, it was necessary. Eclipsa finished securing the bandage and stepped back to admire her work. The tattoo was completely concealed, leaving Charizard looking like any other injured Pokémon. She nodded, satisfied, but the unease in her gut lingered.

“Charizard,” he said in a low, gruff voice, a hint of appreciation in his tone. Eclipsa smiled slightly, grateful for his cooperation despite the discomfort. She patted his side gently, knowing they were both ready for what was to come.

Eclipsa knelt beside Charizard, her voice soft but firm. "I know you can understand me," she said, meeting his eyes. "But since you're not my Pokémon, I won’t be able to understand you back.”

Charizard responded with a snap of his fingers, a small flame flickering to life at the tip of his claw. "Charizard," he grunted, his expression serious.

Eclipsa nodded, understanding the unspoken agreement. "Alright, if you see the device or anything else suspicious, do that, and I’ll come to you immediately.”

"Char," Charizard replied, shaking his head in agreement. Despite his rough exterior, there was a subtle trust forming between them—a silent pact in the face of danger.

Just then, Martin walked in, his gaze sweeping over the three of them. "Are you all ready? Goodra and Francisco already left.”

Snivy responded with a firm nod, "Snivy." Charizard followed suit, his eyes burning with resolve.

Eclipsa straightened up, casting a quick glance at her team before turning back to Martin. "We’re ready," she confirmed. But then, her curiosity got the better of her. "But I have to ask—why are you suddenly okay with me being involved?”

Martin paused for a moment, his usual stoic demeanor softening just slightly. "I’ll explain later," he said, his voice low but resolute. "Right now, we need to focus on the mission.”

Eclipsa held his gaze for a moment longer, then nodded. Whatever his reasons, she knew they could be trusted. They were in this together, and there was no turning back now.

As the yacht edged closer to the harbor, a group of speedboats silently cut through the water, approaching from the side like shadows in the night. From one of them, a Greninja leaped aboard, the beacon strapped securely around his neck. His movements were swift and precise, honed by years of stealth and combat. Without wasting a second, the speedboat peeled away, leaving Greninja to carry out his mission. He slipped through the shadows, making his way down to the engine room, his presence barely a whisper against the yacht's hum. In the engine room, a Dragonite, large and vigilant, was inspecting the engines, a hefty toolbox in hand. The tranquil moment shattered when Greninja struck with a swift Night Slash. Reacting quickly, Dragonite raised the toolbox to block the attack, but the force of the slash split the metal box clean in two. Tools scattered across the floor with a metallic clatter. Before Dragonite could recover, Greninja darted forward, his tongue glowing with a sinister energy as he used Lick. The paralyzing touch froze Dragonite in place, a look of shock and pain etched across his face. With ruthless efficiency, Greninja dragged the incapacitated Dragonite to the side, ensuring he was out of sight. Satisfied that the threat was neutralized, Greninja turned his attention to his true objective. He set the beacon down, the device humming with latent power. His fingers hovered over the controls before pressing a button, which glowed a faint, ominous blue, signaling that the beacon was armed and ready. The yacht docked smoothly, and the crew swiftly set up the bridges. As the maintenance team disembarked, a fresh crew began to board, each member stepping into their role seamlessly. On a separate bridge, a greeter stood by, welcoming the guests with a professional smile. Eclipsa approached the greeter, Charizard by her side, towering over her. She handed over the invitation, her heart pounding slightly as she did.

“Hi, thanks for coming,” the greeter said, scanning the invitation before looking up. “And what is the Charizard’s name?”

“He’s just Charizard,” Eclipsa replied, keeping her tone steady.

The greeter’s eyes drifted to Charizard’s wing, where the bandages wrapped around it hinted at a recent injury. “What happened to his wing?”

Eclipsa hesitated for a split second, then quickly concocted a story. “He was attacked by a Vaporeon.”

Charizard made a confused sound, “Chari?” His eyes flicked to Eclipsa, not following her explanation.

The greeter raised an eyebrow. “A Vaporeon?”

“Yes,” Eclipsa said, pushing through the awkwardness. “I’d rather not get into the details, but let’s just say he was... in the mood, and, well, you can imagine the rest.”

The greeter’s expression shifted as understanding dawned. “Ooh, I think I get it. You may go ahead.”

“Thank you,” Eclipsa said, quickly moving to end the conversation. As they started walking up the bridge, Charizard nudged her head with his, clearly annoyed. “Sorry, I panicked,” she whispered apologetically, glancing up at him. Charizard huffed, but they continued on, the tension between them simmering beneath the surface as they moved closer to their goal.

Grace and Eva, now in her Sylveon form, approached the back door of the fight club with silent determination. The dim light from the alleyway cast long shadows, adding to the tension of the moment. Eva’s ribbons moved with eerie precision, wrapping around the guards’ throats in a gentle yet firm hold. Within moments, they were sedated, slumping quietly to the ground. Grace nodded to Eva, her hand instinctively tightening around the grip of her gun. With the guards incapacitated, Eva extended her ribbons under the door, carefully feeling for the lock. A soft click echoed in the stillness as she unlatched it from the inside, and the door swung open with a faint creak. They slipped inside, finding themselves in the main section of the club. The large arena dominated the center, its metal cage eerily empty. The place was silent, the usual rowdy crowd and noise absent, which only made the atmosphere more unsettling. Grace's eyes scanned the room, taking in every shadowed corner and dimly lit nook. Keeping low behind the bar, they exchanged a quick glance before splitting up. Eva’s ribbons trailed lightly on the floor as she padded down the main hall, her senses alert for any movement. Meanwhile, Grace made her way upstairs, her footsteps silent but deliberate, her gun ready for anything that might come her way. Eva slipped into the storage room, her senses immediately alert as she felt the presence of other Pokémon. From the shadows, a Garchomp, Blastoise, and Arbok emerged, their eyes locked onto her with predatory intent. Blastoise was the first to strike, unleashing a torrent of water with a Water Gun attack. Eva reacted instantly, her ribbons moving like a blur to block the stream, deflecting the water harmlessly to the side as she dodged out of the way. Before she could recover, Garchomp kicked up a cloud of dust with Sand Attack, trying to blind her.As Eva’s vision momentarily blurred, Arbok lunged forward, its serpentine body coiling around her in an attempt to crush her with Wrap. But Eva was faster, her ribbons snapping out to entangle Arbok’s coils, preventing it from tightening its grip. With a swift motion, she flung the Arbok away, sending it crashing into a stack of crates. Garchomp roared in frustration and charged, but Eva was ready. She gathered energy at her core, her eyes glowing with determination as she unleashed a powerful Moonblast. The beam of shimmering light struck Garchomp square in the chest, hurling her backward with tremendous force. The impact sent Garchomp crashing through several shelves, shattering glass vials and scattering their contents across the floor. Blastoise, undeterred, charged at Eva with a furious cry, his fist glowing with the power of Brick Break. Eva barely had time to react as he bore down on her. She quickly enveloped herself in her ribbons, forming a protective shield just in time. Blastoise’s powerful strike connected with the shield, the force of the impact sending Eva hurtling backward. She crashed through the wall, debris flying as she was propelled into the main area of the fight club. Her momentum carried her straight through the cage doors of the arena, the metal bars bending under the force as she tumbled to a stop inside the ring. Eva, now in her Eevee form, looked around the arena, taking in the metal walls that surrounded her. She noted with a flash of strategy that Blastoise was inside the cage with her. Sensing an opportunity, the artificial gem in her necklace began to glow a bright blue. In an instant, Eva’s form shifted, her fur morphing into sleek scales as she evolved into a Vaporeon. Without missing a beat, she initiated Rain Dance, summoning a heavy downpour within the confined space. Water quickly pooled on the metal floor, and Eva dashed towards the arena gate. She latched it shut, locking herself in with Blastoise, then circled the arena, using Rain Dance multiple times to deepen the water level. Blastoise, undeterred by the water, unleashed a powerful Water Gun, aiming straight at Eva. She nimbly dodged the attack, her gem flickering as it changed color. The glow turned from blue to yellow, signaling another transformation. This time, Eva evolved into a Jolteon, her fur bristling with electric energy. With the arena now flooded, Eva saw her moment. She planted her paws firmly into the water, feeling the electric energy coursing through her. Gripping the metal bars of the cage with her teeth, she unleashed a powerful Discharge. The electricity surged through the water, amplified by the metal surroundings, and struck Blastoise with full force. Blastoise roared in pain as the electrical current overwhelmed him, his muscles seizing up as paralysis took hold. The massive Pokémon staggered, unable to move as the electric attack continued to course through the arena. Grace moved swiftly through the dimly lit rooms, her eyes scanning each one for anything suspicious. She paused at the sound of machinery and peeked into a room where a man was feeding stacks of bills into a money counter. Beside him lay a briefcase brimming with cash. “Stop what you’re doing and put your hands where I can see them,” Grace commanded, her voice steady as she aimed her gun at the man. The unmistakable click of a gun behind her sent a chill down her spine.

“Put your gun down first,” a second man ordered, his voice low and threatening.

Grace didn’t flinch. “I need to see your boss,” she said, keeping her tone firm and authoritative.

The man by the money counter frowned. “What for?”

“I work for the Pokémon Inspection Agency. I can help you legalize your Pokémon battles.” Grace lied smoothly. Her words seemed to have the desired effect. The man behind her hesitated, lowering his gun slightly, clearly intrigued by the offer. Grace seized the moment, spinning around to disarm him in one swift motion. She knocked him out cold with the butt of her gun, the metal making a dull thud as he crumpled to the floor. Grace turned back to the first man, her gaze cold and unwavering. “Now I have two guns. Tell me where your boss is—now.”

The man’s face went pale. “He’s outside… waiting for us.”

Grace didn’t waste any time. She cuffed both men to an exposed pipe running along the wall, ensuring they wouldn’t be going anywhere. Tucking the second gun into her pocket and raising her own weapon once more, she steeled herself and headed back outside to face whatever—or whoever—was waiting. Grace spotted a limo idling in a nearby parking lot, its engine softly humming in the night. Moving cautiously, she circled around to the driver's window, only to find the seat empty. A flicker of movement in the side mirror caught her eye—the man emerging from the shadows. Before she could react, he was on her. They grappled, their guns clattering to the ground. The boss seized a handful of her hair, yanking her head back. Gritting her teeth, Grace used the momentum to lean forward and flip him onto his back with a swift, practiced motion.The boss hit the pavement with a grunt and scrambled for his weapon. Grace was quicker, delivering a sharp kick that sent the gun skidding out of reach. But as she moved to pin him down, he grabbed her leg, pulling her down with him. They both sprang to their feet, breathing hard, and instinctively reached for their knives. The air crackled with tension as they circled each other, blades flashing in the dim light. They swung and dodged, each narrowly avoiding the other's strikes. The fight was fast and furious, but eventually, they found themselves locked in a deadly stalemate—both with their knives pressed to each other’s throats.

“Why are you here?” he hissed, his voice low and menacing.

Grace’s eyes narrowed, her breath steady despite the adrenaline pumping through her veins. “I want to know who gave you the Lugia.”

The man's eyes narrowed. “I can’t discuss that.”

Grace held her ground, her voice steady. “If you kill me, the RCPD will be all over you and your illegal fight club. But if you tell me who hired you, I can guarantee a lighter sentence.”

The man smirked, tightening his grip on the knife. “It’d be so easy to kill you right now…”

“Jolteon!” The sharp cry cut through the tension as the boss glanced to the side, spotting Eva, now in Jolteon form, electricity crackling around her.

Grace tilted her head slightly. “And how exactly would you get past her?”

Seeing the Jolteon poised to strike, the man’s bravado faltered. With a heavy sigh, he lowered his weapon, allowing himself to be cuffed. Grace secured him quickly, keeping her eyes on him. “I’ll take these guys back to the PD. You head to the harbor and help the others.”

“Jolteon!” Eva responded with a nod before darting off into the night.

As the yacht pulled away from the harbor, Charizard and Eclipsa roamed the deck, trying to appear inconspicuous while Snivy slithered stealthily through the shadows, searching for the beacon. In the engine room, Francisco and Goodra were on the same mission. The tense silence was broken when Goodra suddenly called out, his voice urgent.

“Goodra!” he shouted, his eyes wide as he stood over the limp body of a Dragonite.

Francisco rushed over and immediately radioed in. “We found a Dragonite. It’s down... I think it might be dead.” Goodra, however, knelt beside the Dragonite and checked for a pulse. His shoulders sagged with relief. “Never mind, it's just paralyzed.” Francisco corrected.

The radio crackled as Eclipsa's voice came through, thoughtful yet anxious. “What kind of Pokémon could do that? Maybe a Gengar, Seviper... Dachsbun?”

Charizard, listening in through the radio, suddenly caught sight of a speedboat moving swiftly alongside the yacht. His sharp eyes spotted a Greninja boarding the boat in a hurry. Instinct kicked in, and with a snap of his claws, he ignited a small flame, signaling Eclipsa. She turned just in time to see Charizard racing down the hall, his powerful strides echoing off the walls. Alarmed, she sprinted after him, but by the time she reached the deck, Charizard was already in mid-air, leaping onto the speedboat.

“Charizard!” she called out, but her voice was lost to the wind as the boat sped away.

Meanwhile, Martin’s team stormed the warehouse, moving swiftly and efficiently through the empty corridors. The only thing of note was the massive cryogenic chamber in the center of the room. Inside, the unmistakable form of a Lugia lay in suspended animation. As they approached, a faint hum filled the air—the chamber had already begun the awakening process. Martin’s heart raced as he watched Lugia's eyes flutter open. For a moment, the creature seemed disoriented, but then its gaze sharpened, darting from one team member to the next, as if mentally marking them as targets. With a low hiss, the chamber’s glass door slid open, releasing a thick fog that rolled across the floor, cloaking the Lugia’s powerful form as it crawled out of the chamber. The ground trembled slightly under the weight of its massive body. The team tensed, weapons ready, but they hesitated as the Lugia reared its head back and unleashed a deafening Roar. The sound echoed through the warehouse, sending a wave of fear through the team. Some instinctively took a step back, while others gripped their weapons tighter, trying to steady their nerves. Martin locked eyes with the Lugia, knowing full well that they were moments away from a potentially catastrophic battle. Back on the yacht, a small, ominous beep echoed in the engine room as the beacon's timer hit zero. The device emitted a low, insistent hum, a sound that slowly grew in intensity, but impossible to hear for those onboard. Lugia suddenly winced, a sharp pain slicing through its mind. Instinctively, it unleashed a powerful Hyper Beam, the golden energy blasting out in a random direction. The beam tore through the warehouse like a hot knife through butter, obliterating several pillars in its path.

"EVERYONE OUT NOW!" Martin's voice roared above the chaos, cutting through the growing din of crumbling concrete and twisted metal.

The team scrambled for the exits as the warehouse began to collapse around them. Some members, in a desperate bid to contain the raging beast, fired tranquilizers at Lugia. But the legendary Pokémon, driven by pain and fear, deflected the projectiles with a swift Steel Wing, the metallic feathers shimmering as they batted the darts aside. Lugia's eyes flashed with anger as it unleashed a powerful Gust, the force of the wind ripping through the weakened structure, causing even more of the building to buckle and cave in. Dust and debris filled the air, turning the warehouse into a death trap. As a massive section of the roof gave way, Ampharos reacted quickly, charging up its energy. With a precise Zap Cannon, the Ampharos blasted the falling debris, disintegrating it mid-air and saving several team members from being crushed. A Feraligatr charged forward, its fist glowing with icy energy. With a fierce roar, it landed an Ice Punch on Lugia, trying to freeze the towering creature in its tracks. Simultaneously, a Sandslash slammed its claws into the ground, sending shockwaves rippling through the warehouse with a powerful Earthquake. The floor cracked and buckled under the force, destabilizing the already fragile structure. Lugia, reacting with the speed and strength only a legendary Pokémon could muster, retaliated with a swift Iron Tail. Its shimmering metallic tail cut through the air like a blade, smashing into the Feraligatr and Sandslash. The impact sent both Pokémon flying across the warehouse, their bodies slamming into metal crates with bone-jarring force. The crates buckled under the weight, leaving deep dents as they were crushed by the sheer power of Lugia's attack. Locating where the sound is coming from, Lugia's wings spread wide, and with a mighty flap, it took to the air. The gusts from its wings sent debris swirling through the air, adding to the destruction as the warehouse trembled beneath its power. The building, already teetering on the brink of collapse, finally gave way. With a deafening roar, the structure crumbled in on itself, collapsing into a massive heap of twisted metal and shattered concrete. Dust and rubble filled the air, and the echo of the collapse lingered, leaving a haunting silence in its wake. Anyone who hadn’t made it out in time was buried under the weight of the wreckage. Meanwhile, Francisco and Goodra hurried onto the ship’s deck, making their way towards the surveillance room. They reached the door and knocked urgently. A Bayleef, using her vines, opened the door, allowing them inside.The captain, a stern-looking man, glanced up from his station. "What’s the purpose of your visit?" he asked, his voice tinged with suspicion.

Francisco wasted no time. "We need to check the camera footage immediately.”

The captain frowned. "Why? What happened?”

"Everyone on this ship is in danger," Francisco replied, his tone serious. "Please, we need to review the footage now.”

The captain studied Francisco's face for a moment, then nodded. "Follow me.”

"Thank you," Francisco said, relieved.

The captain led them to the surveillance systems and stepped aside, allowing Francisco to take the controls. Francisco quickly began rewinding the footage, his fingers flying over the keyboard. Goodra, standing behind him, pointed to one of the monitors just as the image showed Greninja sneaking aboard at the exact time they were looking for.

"Goo," Goodra said, his voice low but urgent. Francisco froze the frame, his heart racing. The image was clear—Greninja had boarded the ship undetected. They exchanged a tense look, knowing this discovery confirmed their fears. Time was running out. As they continued watching the footage, they saw Greninja slip into a closet with the device. Five minutes later, he emerged without it. Francisco quickly grabbed his radio. "Eclipsa, do you read me?”

"Loud and clear," came her response.

"We found the device. It’s in a closet on the left side, right behind the stage.”

"Heading there now," Eclipsa replied, her voice steady despite the tension. As Eclipsa sprinted towards the closet, the yacht suddenly lurched, causing everyone to stumble as a dark shadow whooshed past the windows.

Francisco's eyes widened as he looked out the front window, seeing the shadow turning back towards them. Goodra trembled beside him, sensing the impending danger. "Eclipsa," Francisco urged, his voice tight with worry, "you might need to hurry up.”

Eclipsa reached the closet door, and Snivy quickly used Leaf Blade to slice through the lock. The door swung open, revealing the beacon. Though small, it emitted a loud, ominous hum that sent a chill down her spine. As Lugia swooped down towards the ship, charging a Shadow Ball, Bayleef quickly turned the wheel hard to the right and pushed the throttle to full. The yacht tilted sharply to the left, avoiding a direct hit, but the Shadow Ball still exploded against the back of the vessel, shaking everything. Snivy, reacting quickly, extended her vines to secure Eclipsa, keeping her from being thrown overboard. But the force of the explosion was too much—the vines snapped, and Eclipsa tumbled towards the churning waters below.Just as she plunged, Lapras swooped down, catching her with a swift, graceful motion. Eclipsa clung to Lapras, who steadied her as she climbed onto the Pokémon's shell where Leo was already seated.

"Are you okay?" Leo asked, concern etched on his face.

"Yes, I’m fine," Eclipsa replied, catching her breath. "Snivy, get us that beacon!”

"Snivy!" Snivy responded, her vines swiftly lowering the humming beacon down to them. Leo, wasting no time, grabbed his radio and called in to the RCPD.

"All boats converge on the yacht immediately. We need to evacuate everyone on board—now!” Leo glanced back at the pursuing Lugia. "Alright, let's get this thing as far from the yacht as possible.”

Lapras surged forward, swimming swiftly away from the yacht, but Lugia immediately locked onto them, closing the distance with alarming speed. Suddenly, Charizard drove the speedboat alongside them, matching their pace.

"Charizard!" he called, gesturing urgently for them to get on. Without hesitation, Eclipsa tossed the humming beacon onto the speedboat and leaped down, quickly taking control of the vessel. Leo followed suit, jumping down just as Charizard hopped off the boat and landed on Lapras's shell. With a roar, Charizard gave Eclipsa a nod, and she revved the engine, speeding away from the yacht, drawing Lugia's attention. As Lapras began to slow down, Charizard showed her his left wing, revealing a patchwork of old scars. Understanding his plan, Lapras nodded, her eyes filled with determination. She positioned herself directly beneath Lugia, ready to support Charizard in whatever he had planned. As Lugia swooped lower, ready to unleash a devastating Hyper Beam on the speedboat, Charizard leaped with all his might, sinking his teeth into Lugia's tail. The sudden weight pulled Lugia off course, causing the Hyper Beam to fire skyward, the brilliant beam piercing the night and illuminating the entire city below. Lugia crashed into the water, the impact sending waves splashing across the surface. Charizard struggled to keep his tail's flame above the water, desperation evident in his eyes as he fought to stay afloat. Just as the cold water began to sap his strength, a thick layer of ice formed beneath him, allowing him to scramble to safety. Charizard looked up to see a Glaceon with a glowing necklace standing on the ice, calm and composed.

"Charizard," he said, breathing heavily as he stood. Eva, now in her Glaceon form, gave a brief nod. But before they could regroup, the ice beneath them began to crack. Glancing down, they saw Lugia swimming just beneath the surface, its massive form moving with lethal intent. Without hesitation, Eva launched an Ice Shard, creating a solid path across the water. Charizard followed, the two of them charging after Lugia, determined to stop the legendary Pokémon before it could reach Eclipsa and Leo.

Meanwhile, Leo struggled to break the beacon, but every attempt was thwarted by a persistent electrical shield. His frustration mounted as he stared at the seemingly indestructible beacon. He'd already tried smashing it with a hammer, but the electrical shield surrounding it remained unscathed.

"Nothing's working," Leo muttered, his voice tinged with exasperation. "I've tried everything.”

Eclipsa glanced at him, her mind racing. "What if we short-circuit the shield?”

Leo looked back at her, eyebrows raised. "And how exactly am I supposed to do that?”

She pointed towards the boat's rear. "Use the boat's battery.”

Leo glanced over his shoulder at the ominous figure of Lugia, who was closing in fast. "And what about Lugia trying to kill us?”

Eclipsa shook her head. "He doesn’t care about us, Leo. It’s the beacon he wants.”

Taking a deep breath, Leo hurried to the back of the boat and opened the battery compartment. As he worked, he could feel the vibrations in the water—the ominous approach of Lugia. The legendary Pokémon was relentless. Just as Lugia neared, Lapras unleashed a powerful Water Pulse, forcing the massive creature to the surface. This was the moment Eva had been waiting for. In her Glaceon form, she released a Freeze-Dry, the cold air crystallizing around Lugia, encasing him in a thick layer of ice. Charizard seized the opportunity, his claws reaching for the headset strapped to Lugia’s head. He pulled with all his might, determined to tear it off. But Lugia wasn't finished. With a roar that seemed to shake the very sea beneath them, Lugia used Earthquake, shattering the ice that bound him. The force of the move rippled through the water, but Charizard, undeterred, clung tightly to the headset, refusing to let go. As Charizard pulled with all his strength, he realized with growing horror that the device was deeply embedded in Lugia's ears, almost as if it had become a part of him. Gritting his teeth, Charizard knew he had no choice but to act quickly. With a deep breath and a pang of regret, he released a small burst of Ember directly onto the headset. The flames singed Lugia’s face, causing the legendary Pokémon to roar in pain. In retaliation, Lugia used Hail, the icy pellets pummeling Charizard’s back with relentless force. The cold stung like a thousand needles, but Charizard refused to let go, his claws digging in deeper as Lugia thrashed in the air, trying desperately to shake him off. The sky became a blur as Lugia veered wildly, the ground below spinning in and out of view. While the struggle raged above, Eva leaped onto the speedboat, her Glaceon form shimmering in the moonlight. She turned to Eclipsa and Leo, her icy blue eyes filled with concern. "Glaceon," she said, her voice urgent.

Leo looked up from the battery compartment, beads of sweat dotting his forehead. "Eva, I need your help," he called out, his voice strained.

Meanwhile, Lugia and Charizard, locked in their fierce battle, plummeted from the sky, crashing onto the beach with a resounding thud. The impact sent a shockwave through the sand, and for a moment, all was still—then Lugia got up, eyes filled with agonizing pain and anger, more intense than before. Eva's form shimmered as she devolved, her body shifting and glowing before evolving once again—this time into a Jolteon. Her fur bristled with electric energy, and with a fierce determination, she sank her teeth into the exposed wires of the defense mechanism. Channeling her power, she unleashed a Wild Charge, sending surges of electricity coursing through the device. The machine sparked violently, the circuits inside overloading as it began to malfunction. Without hesitation, Eva morphed into a Vaporeon, her sleek, aquatic form diving into the water with a graceful splash. Eclipsa and Leo quickly followed, leaping off the boat as Lapras arrived to scoop them up, carrying them away from the impending danger. On the beach, Lugia's eyes narrowed as it prepared to launch another attack at Charizard. But before it could act, the malfunctioning headset sparked and crackled, sending waves of pain through Lugia's head. With a heart-wrenching roar, Lugia thrashed in agony, the sound echoing across the shoreline. Seeing his chance, Charizard dashed forward, his fist engulfed in flames as he delivered a powerful Fire Punch. Lugia staggered, the impact forcing it to reel back. But before the legendary Pokémon could retaliate, the remaining members of the Elite arrived on the scene. Their tranquilizer guns fired in unison, the darts piercing Lugia's tough hide. Slowly, the great beast’s strength faltered, and with a final, shuddering breath, it collapsed onto the sand, finally subdued. Lapras instinctively raised her fin, shielding Leo and Eclipsa as they braced themselves for the beacon’s imminent explosion. But instead of the deafening blast they anticipated, a large spark erupted from the device, followed by a sudden silence. The beacon flickered one last time before shutting down completely, the threat neutralized.

Leo let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding, while Eclipsa’s tense shoulders slowly relaxed. "It’s over," she whispered, almost in disbelief.

With a nod from Leo, Lapras began to glide toward the shore, cutting through the water with ease. As they approached the beach, the sight of Charizard standing guard over the unconscious Lugia greeted them. The sound of approaching sirens filled the air as RCPD and Elite teams rushed in, their figures quickly surrounding the scene. Eclipsa wasted no time. As soon as Lapras’s fin touched the sand, she leapt off and sprinted toward Charizard and Lugia, her heart pounding in her chest. The adrenaline still coursed through her veins, making every step feel like a race against time. She reached them, her eyes scanning Charizard’s singed wings and Lugia’s massive, heaving form. Relief washed over her as she realized they had made it—against all odds, they had stopped the beacon and subdued the legendary Pokémon. Despite the victory, Charizard didn't share in the celebration. His gaze remained fixed on Lugia, the once-mighty Pokémon now lying motionless on the beach. With slow, deliberate steps, Charizard approached, his eyes scanning the fallen creature's body. As he reached Lugia’s tail, a glimmer of recognition flashed in Charizard’s eyes. He carefully lifted the tail, revealing a small, darkened symbol etched into the scales. The unmistakable mark of Team Rocket stood out, accompanied by a serial number—a branding that mirrored the one hidden beneath the scars on Charizard’s own wing. The sight of the symbol stirred something deep within Charizard, a mix of anger, sorrow, and a painful sense of connection. He clenched his claws, not in rage but in a silent acknowledgment of their shared suffering. Lugia, despite his fearsome power, had been just another victim. Eclipsa noticed Charizard’s solemn expression as she approached. She followed his gaze, her heart sinking as she realized what he had discovered.

Chapter 4: The Sanctuary New

EnderDragonC

Youngster
Pronouns
He/him
Chapter 4
The Sanctuary

At the downtown hospital, the scene was one of overwhelming chaos. Both people and Pokémon crowded together, the usual order of the facility lost in the sheer volume of the injured. Nurses and doctors rushed between makeshift beds and gurneys, their faces tense with the strain of trying to keep up with the influx of patients. Outside, buses lined up in front of the entrance, their engines idling as they prepared to transport those stable enough to other medical centers. The constant hum of activity was punctuated by the rumble of semi-trucks pulling into the hospital's loading docks, ready to carry the larger Pokémon to specialized facilities. In the distance, the last remnants of a purple fog began to dissipate, revealing a city scarred by the disaster. Wrecked cars littered the streets, twisted metal and shattered glass bearing silent witness to the chaos that had unfolded. The hospital, though a beacon of hope, struggled under the weight of the catastrophe, its halls echoing with the sounds of pain, urgency, and the relentless effort to save lives. Martin and Ampharos pushed their way through the crowded halls, hearts pounding in unison with the hurried steps of their feet. The hospital was a maze of chaotic energy, but their focus remained unwavering as they made their way to a particular room that held their deepest concern. Bursting through the door, Martin’s breath caught in his throat as he saw his wife, Jen, lying still in a hospital bed, her face pale and peaceful, as if she were merely asleep. But the steady beeping of the machines nearby told the truth—Jen was in a coma, her body unresponsive to the world around her. In the bed beside her, another figure began to stir. Ampharos, Jen’s loyal Pokémon, slowly opened its eyes, blinking against the harsh fluorescent lights. The sight of Ampharos waking up brought a flicker of hope to Martin’s heart, but it was quickly overshadowed by the reality of Jen’s condition.

Martin moved closer, his hand gently brushing a strand of hair from Jen’s face. “We’re here, Jen,” he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion.

Ampharos, now fully awake, struggled to its feet and looked over at Jen with shock and confusion in its large, expressive eyes. A wave of panic washed over her. Her eyes locked onto Jen, lying still in the bed, unresponsive. Confusion and fear flashed in the Ampharos's eyes as she looked down at her trembling flippers, then caught sight of her reflection in the nearby window. The reality of the situation seemed to crash down on her all at once. Without warning, Ampharos began to convulse, her body wracked by a violent seizure. The sudden jerking movements sent the heart monitor into a frenzy, its shrill beeps blaring through the room, signaling the emergency. The door flew open, and a team of doctors rushed in, their expressions a mix of urgency and concern as they focused on the seizing Ampharos. Amid the chaos, another alarm pierced the air—Jen’s heart had stopped beating. Martin’s world seemed to tilt off its axis. The doctors moved quickly, but the moments stretched out into an eternity as they struggled to stabilize both Ampharos and Jen. Martin felt himself being pulled from the room, his Ampharos beside him, as the medical staff took over. In the hallway, Martin’s heart raced, his breath shallow. He stared at the closed door, feeling utterly helpless as his mind tried to process the horrifying turn of events. His Ampharos leaned against him, eyes wide with fear, both of them bracing for whatever news would come next.

Five years later, Martin and Ampharos walked into the psychiatric wing of a sprawling hospital just outside the city. The familiar antiseptic scent filled the air, and the sterile white walls seemed to stretch endlessly as they made their way through the quiet corridors. As they approached the entrance, Martin was surprised to see Grace and Eva already there, waiting for them. Grace stood with her arms crossed, a soft, knowing smile on her face, while Eva, in her Sylveon form, playfully wrapped her ribbons around Grace’s arm.

“You knew we’d be here?” Martin asked, a mix of curiosity and gratitude in his tone.

Grace nodded. “I heard you’ve been visiting every week, so I thought I’d come by.”

Martin’s eyes softened. “You know you don’t have to be here, right?”

Grace nodded. “I know. I’m just here to observe.”

“Alright then,” Martin said, his voice quiet as he accepted her presence.

Together, the four of them made their way down a long, silent hallway, the only sound the soft padding of Ampharos's feet on the linoleum floor. The elevator took them up to the 20th floor, the journey feeling longer than it was. When they arrived, Martin pulled out a badge from his pocket, a worn piece of plastic that had seen better days. He swiped it at the security doors, and they slid open with a soft hiss. A nurse, her expression professional but kind, greeted them and led them further into the wing. They passed several rooms, each one a small world unto itself, before finally stopping at one near the end of the corridor. Inside, the walls were an unbroken white, the room sparsely furnished save for a single chair and a large window that let in a flood of natural light. Seated in the middle of the room was a pale, tired-looking female Ampharos sat in the center of the room, her once-vibrant fur now dull and lifeless. Her eyes, once full of light, were now dim, reflecting years of suffering. Martin’s Ampharos hesitated at the threshold, his breath catching as he took in the sight of his counterpart.

Martin took a deep breath, the familiar ache in his chest tightening as he stepped inside. Following his Ampharos inside, his gaze locked on her in the chair. Grace and Eva lingered in the doorway, giving them space, their presence a silent support. Martin hesitated, then moved closer to the female Ampharos, his hand reaching out to gently touch her shoulder. "Hey," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion. She slowly turned her head, her eyes meeting his, but there was no recognition in them. The moment stretched, heavy with unspoken words and memories that only Martin could feel.

Grace watched, her brow furrowing as she took in the sight of the pale, exhausted Ampharos sitting in the center of the room. She turned to the nurse beside her, her voice tinged with concern. “What’s wrong with her?”

The nurse sighed softly, her expression reflecting the gravity of the situation. “This Ampharos’s trainer died, leaving her conscience trapped within the Pokémon’s mind.”

Grace’s confusion deepened. “Trapped? What do you mean by that?”

The nurse paused, choosing her words carefully. “Ampharos’s mind is in conflict. She’s displaying symptoms of dissociative identity disorder. Her trainer’s consciousness... it’s still there, entwined with her own. They’re both trapped, unable to find peace. And it’s not just her—nearly a thousand other Pokémon are suffering in a similar way, each one having two minds each.”

Inside the room, Martin’s Ampharos moved closer to the distressed Ampharos, gently wrapping his arms around her. At first, the embrace wasn’t returned, but after a moment, the other Ampharos slowly hugged back, her movements hesitant and shaky. Martin approached with a soft smile, holding out a familiar box of donuts. His voice was gentle, filled with a quiet determination to reach her. “Hey, Jen… Ampharos. How are you two doing today?”

The troubled Ampharos tried to respond, her mouth moving, but no sound came out. Frustration and confusion flashed across her face as she realized she hadn’t spoken. Seeing her struggle, Martin’s Ampharos placed a comforting hand on hers, their shared presence a lifeline in the storm of her mind. “Amp…” she finally managed to say, her voice barely more than a whisper, laden with effort. The word hung in the air, a fragile connection to the world outside her tormented mind.

"Eevee?" Eva asked softly, her large eyes filled with concern.

The nurse leaned in, her brow furrowing slightly. "What did she say?”

Grace glanced at Eva before turning back to the nurse. "She asked if there's a way to help.”

The nurse’s expression grew somber. "Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can transfer her mind into. And even if there were, there’s no guarantee that either the human or Pokémon mind would remain intact—especially before the festival.”

Grace frowned in confusion. "The festival?”

The nurse tilted her head slightly, studying Grace. "You’re not from around here, are you?”

"No," Grace admitted, shaking her head. "I'm afraid not.”

Before the nurse could respond, an alarm blared through the building, followed by a voice over the intercom: "Code blue, Rhydon, Sector 10. Repeat; code blue, Rhydon, Sector 10.”

The nurse sighed, turning back to Grace. "You know, since the Pokémon festival started, I haven’t seen many visitors from out of town. You’re the first in a while. But I should go handle this Rhydon situation. If she needs anything, just let someone know.”

Grace nodded. "We will.”

Eva silently evolved into an Espeon, her fur glowing faintly as she nudged the door open with her paw. The door creaked, and they stepped inside, where the pale Ampharos slowly turned to face them. Martin spoke gently, trying to ease the tension. "Don't worry, this is Grace and Eva; they're here from the Pokémon Inspection Agency to investigate the city.”

Eva approached the other Ampharos cautiously, her eyes soft with empathy. She placed a paw on the Ampharos’s trembling hand, closing her eyes as she took a deep, steadying breath. As Eva delved into their minds, her expression quickly shifted from calm to one of shock and sorrow. She gasped, tears welling up in her eyes, and instinctively stepped back, overwhelmed by the flood of emotions. Martin sighed, a mix of sadness and resignation in his voice. "Now you understand.”

Grace, concerned, moved closer to Eva. "Eva, what did you see?” Eva looked up at Grace, her eyes wide and filled with confusion and pain. She shook her head slowly, struggling to find the words, her emotions too raw and tangled to explain.

Lugia slowly opened his eyes, finding himself in an unfamiliar enclosure. A cast wrapped around his head, and he blinked, slightly disoriented. As he stirred, other Pokémon in the enclosure gathered around him, their eyes filled with curiosity and concern. Eclipsa watched from a distance, her voice tinged with worry. "Will he be okay here?”

Brianna, standing beside her, nodded reassuringly. "Yes, he will be. We removed the headset, but there were some complications.”

Francisco, his brow furrowed, asked, "What kind of complications?”

Brianna sighed, her tone somber. "The headset was directly connected to his brain. We had to cut into his skull to remove it, doing everything we could to minimize damage. It's possible he won't even remember what happened last night.” Meanwhile, Goodra and Snivy gazed out the window, watching Lugia interact with the other Pokémon. Despite the trauma he'd endured, Lugia seemed to be getting along well, a small comfort amid the uncertainty. Brianna leaned against the doorway, her curiosity evident. "So, how did you guys meet Max?”

Francisco furrowed his brow. "Max? Who’s that?”

"The Charizard," Brianna clarified. "How did you cross paths? He doesn't usually take kindly to humans.”

Eclipsa glanced at Francisco before turning back to her, surprised. "Wait, you know him?”

Brianna nodded slowly. "In a way, yes. He barely trusts me, but he’s got a room downstairs. I can show you if you're interested.”

Eclipsa, intrigued, responded, "Lead the way.”

Brianna guided them to a small, dimly lit room. As they stepped inside, the scene was stark and methodical. On a metallic table, the dismantled headset lay in pieces, each part meticulously cleaned and organized, with labels carefully placed on a separate table. Eclipsa flicked on the overhead lights, revealing more of the space. Her gaze landed on a whiteboard, its surface cluttered with papers and magnets. At the center, a map of the city and its suburbs was taped up, covered in notes and markings. The room carried an air of both precision and secrecy, making it clear that Charizard, or Max, was more complex than they had realized. "Snivy!" The small Pokémon’s voice was filled with shock as she surveyed the room.

Eclipsa’s eyes widened. "This is… super impressive.”

As she continued to explore, her gaze landed on another board covered with photos of various Pokémon, each marked with a serial number. Max, the Charizard, walked past her and silently crossed out Lugia's photo. Eclipsa turned to him, a realization dawning on her. "Wait, were you trying to save Lugia?”

Max nodded, a soft growl of affirmation escaping him. Meanwhile, Snivy wandered around, discovering a world map pinned to the wall. It was marked with red and blue stripes, leading to a photo of a Charizard, labeled MX-470. Just then, Francisco and Goodra entered the room. Goodra’s eyes were immediately drawn to a detailed city map, and he tugged on Francisco’s shirt to get his attention. "Goodra.”

Francisco leaned in closer, his eyes narrowing as he studied the map. "Eclipsa, look at this," he called out. "We’ve got Team Rocket, Team Galactic, Skull, Magma, Aqua, Flare, Yell, Star—almost all of them.”

Eclipsa joined him, scanning the map. "But Team Plasma is missing.”

Brianna stepped forward, her tone matter-of-fact. "That’s because there is no Team Plasma. They disbanded years ago.”

Eclipsa frowned. "But all these other teams—they’re here, in Ryme City.”

Brianna nodded solemnly. "Like I said, Team Plasma is gone. But the others… they’ve started operating here, taking advantage of the city being outside the Battle Agency's jurisdiction.”

Eclipsa turned to Brianna, curiosity evident in her voice. "So, Charizard is your Pokémon?”

Brianna shook her head. "No, Max is a wild Charizard. I’ve never captured him. I believe Pokémon should have the freedom to live their lives without human interference.” Before Eclipsa could respond, Brianna’s phone buzzed. She glanced at the screen, seeing a notification that a limo had just entered the gate. Her expression tightened. "You all stay here," Brianna instructed, her voice firm as she exited the room.

As soon as the door closed behind her, Max silently moved to the entrance and locked it. Without a word, he turned to a control panel and activated several monitors, each displaying live security footage of the sanctuary’s grounds. Outside, Brianna walked briskly to the entrance, just as a sleek limo pulled up at the bottom of the steps. Lucario, the driver, stepped out and circled around to open the passenger door. Simon emerged, his demeanor calm but commanding as he greeted her. "Hello, Brianna," Simon said with a polite smile. "How have you been?”

Brianna didn’t return the smile. "You shouldn’t be here," she warned. "There’s a very confused Lugia inside.”

Simon’s smile didn’t waver. "I’m well aware.”

With a snap of his fingers, Lucario approached and handed Brianna a crisp paper document. The tension between them was palpable as Brianna took the document, her eyes narrowing as she began to read. Her eyes scanned the document, her brow furrowing. "What is this?”

Simon remained calm, his tone almost casual. "It’s an official order. The document authorizes Lugia’s transfer to Team Rocket Laboratories for better containment.”

Brianna looked up, her gaze steely. "Lugia is perfectly fine where he is.”

Simon met her gaze, unyielding. "This order is signed by the director of the RCPD. Lugia poses a significant threat to the public, and Team Rocket has been tasked with ensuring the safety of everyone in Ryme City.”

Brianna’s expression hardened. "Team Rocket doesn’t care about this city. Since your people arrived ten years ago, you've brought nothing but trouble.”

Simon’s smile was thin, almost patronizing. "Team Rocket intervened because Team Plasma became a threat in the arena.”

Brianna didn’t flinch. "A threat to whom, exactly? I don’t even understand why you’re here. Take that paper, go back to your tower, and tell whoever sent you that Lugia is staying in the sanctuary. He’s not going anywhere.” Brianna handed the document back to Lucario, her gaze lingering on the Pokémon. As Simon began walking back to the limo, she took a step closer to Lucario, her voice soft but firm. "Listen, Lucario," she began, her tone earnest. "I know you see him as your master, but you don’t have to follow every command. You have free will—don't forget that.”

Lucario tilted his head, the uncertainty clear in his eyes. "Lucario?”

Simon’s voice cut through the moment like a knife. "Come along, Lucario. We don’t have all day.” Lucario hesitated for just a second, but then turned and started towards the limo, falling back into step behind Simon. Simon paused at the door, glancing back at Brianna with a cold smile. "We’ll have that Lugia sooner or later. By tomorrow, it will be under Team Rocket’s custody. That’s a promise.”

As Simon’s limo pulled away, Brianna sprinted back inside, her heart pounding with urgency. Max had already unlocked the door by the time she reached the room, and she burst in, breathless. "You guys need to leave—now," she said, her voice tight with urgency.

Eclipsa, startled, turned to her. "Why? What happened?”

"They’re coming back for Lugia," Brianna explained quickly. "I refused to hand him over, so they’ll return with force.”

Francisco’s eyes widened. "Can't we call the police?”

Brianna shook her head, frustration clear in her expression. "It won’t help. If you call the police, Team Rocket will just claim they have the situation under control. We need to act fast.”

She hurried to a drawer, pulling out a rifle and a set of keys. She handed the keys to Eclipsa, her gaze serious.

"I need you to take Lugia to Little Vertress Town, immediately. Meanwhile, the other Pokémon will evacuate to the basement. Max knows the way.”

Max nodded, his expression as determined as Brianna’s. "Charizard.”

Eclipsa hesitated, concern evident in her eyes. "But what about you? What will you do?”

Brianna gave her a reassuring smile, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes. "I’ll be fine. Trust me. Now go—there’s no time to waste.”

With that, she flipped a switch, and an alarm blared throughout the sanctuary. The group moved quickly, making their way to the back. Charizard took the lead, guiding Lugia to the rear of the truck, ready to get him out before Team Rocket could strike. As the group sped away from the sanctuary, Brianna stood at the entrance, watching them disappear into the distance. She took a deep breath and quickly pulled out her phone, dialing a familiar number. The line picked up after a couple of rings. "Hello, how are you?" Zeek's voice was warm, but Brianna cut straight to the point.

"I'm sending Lugia to you—be ready," she said, her tone firm and urgent.

There was a brief pause on the other end. "What happened?" Zeek asked, his voice now tinged with concern.

"Team Rocket’s coming for Lugia," Brianna explained, her words quick and precise. "And the device that was controlling him... it looked like something made by Team Break.”

A sharp intake of breath from Zeek. "Do you think Rocket and Break have struck a deal?”

"Maybe," Brianna replied, her mind racing with possibilities. "I suspect they’ve got more on their servers. There’s also a serial number with Team Rocket’s logo on Lugia’s tail. I need you to dig into that—see what you can find.”

"Will do," Zeek promised, his tone resolute. Then, softer, he added, "Take care, love.”

Brianna’s expression softened briefly. "I love you too," she said, her voice a mix of determination and affection. She ended the call and prepared for whatever might come next.

The club's owner sat in the sterile interrogation room, his eyes narrowed in defiance as Grace and Leo entered. Eva observed quietly from behind the one-way mirror, her gaze steady. Grace leaned forward, her tone almost conversational. "You're a tough man. I respect that. You've refused to tell us anything about the Lugia, why you had it, or about the fight club you run.”

Leo, standing beside her, added, "We have all the evidence we need. I doubt there's anything you could say that would change your situation…”

Grace cut him off with a sharp glance. "Actually, Leo, there is one thing." She turned back to the man, her voice taking on a harder edge. "Garchomp. Where is she?”

The man's expression tightened. "What? She's dead. That Charizard killed her.”

Grace didn’t waver. "Are you sure? Because my Eevee was very certain there was a Garchomp there.”

The man’s fists clenched on the table. "And I'm telling you, she's dead. It should be impossible for Garchomp to be there at that time.”

Leo exchanged a quick look with Grace. "Could there be a second Garchomp?”

The man’s eyes flashed with frustration. "We only had one," he snapped. "I should know.”

Leo leaned forward, his voice cold. "How do we know you're not lying?”

"Espeon." Eva’s voice echoed through the mic, her tone firm, confirming that he was telling the truth.

The man’s eyes widened in surprise. "Is that thing reading my thoughts right now!?”

Grace remained calm, her gaze steady. "Well, if you had cooperated with us, she wouldn’t have had to.”

A low chuckle rumbled from the man’s chest, but his amusement was cut short when Eva, now in her Espeon form, shoved the door open. Her eyes glowed with a fierce intensity, claws extended as she hissed, making a beeline for him. Before she could reach him, Ampharos intervened, wrapping his arms around her in an attempt to calm her down. Leo’s eyes narrowed as he turned back to the man. "What were you thinking to make her react like that?”

The man’s lips curled into a smug smile. "Nothing much, really," he said with a casual shrug. "Except maybe a certain breeding center in Neon Town." He added with a wink, his smirk widening as he watched the realization dawn on their faces.

Grace’s expression hardened, her patience wearing thin. "Fine, you perv. But there’s one more thing."

Leo pulled out a small vial from his pocket, its contents a familiar, ominous purple hue. The man's demeanor shifted instantly, his eyes clenched shut. "We found this," she said coldly, "a substance that looks awfully familiar.”

"No... please, no," the man muttered, his voice trembling.

Leo frowned, holding the vial closer. "What’s wrong?”

"I can’t tell you. They’ll kill me.”

Grace leaned forward, her voice edged with urgency. "Who? How?”

"Just... just put the vial away," he stammered. "I must not see it in this building.”

Grace noticed his eyes were still squeezed shut. Rising from her chair, she moved to the light switch and flicked it off, plunging the room into darkness. She pulled out a flashlight and switched it to UV mode. Leo glanced at her, puzzled. "What are you doing?”

"Checking something," she replied curtly. Turning back to the man, she softened her voice. "Sir, can you open your eyes for me?”

The man hesitated, but eventually, his eyes fluttered open. Grace directed the UV light at one of his eyes—nothing. His breath hitched as relief washed over him. But when she moved the light to his other eye, her heart skipped a beat. There, circling the pupil, was a faint, eerie ring, and before she could react, the man crumpled to the floor. Leo shot up from his chair, panic in his voice. "What happened to him!?”

Grace stood frozen, the UV light still in her hand. "I think I killed him," she whispered, disbelief and horror mingling in her tone.

Brianna sat tensely in her office, the quiet ticking of a clock her only company. Suddenly, a piercing screech echoed through the air, followed by the unmistakable sound of metal being torn apart. Her heart leaped into her throat as she rushed to the window. Below, the front gate lay in ruins, twisted metal scattered across the ground, as several sleek, futuristic cars sped through the opening. Panic rising, Brianna bolted down the hall, her footsteps echoing in the eerie silence. She reached a room where Rampardos and Ceruledge stood at attention, awaiting her command. Without a word, she gave Rampardos a curt nod. Understanding immediately, Rampardos moved to a control panel, flipping a series of switches. The building responded instantly—doors slammed shut, locking down with heavy thuds, and the lights flickered off, plunging the sanctuary into darkness. Outside, Cipher members emerged from the vehicles, their movements synchronized and precise. At the front, a Shadow Psyduck waddled forward, its eyes glowing with malevolent energy. With a sharp cry, it unleashed a deafening Screech, shattering the front door into splinters. As they stepped inside, the Cipher members raised their metallic guns that emitted an ominous hum. The laser-like beams illuminated the darkened hallway as they advanced, the atmosphere thick with impending danger. The majority of them were clad in blue neon, metallic armor that glinted ominously in the dim light. But one stood out—his armor was a striking bright purple, marking him as the leader. His presence commanded attention, and it was clear he was the one in charge.

"Brianna, this is Team Cipher. We’ve received intelligence that your group is harboring a Lugia.”

The Cipher members fanned out, splitting into smaller teams. Some headed for the gym, others towards the outside garden. Two of them remained at the leader’s side, keeping close. The leader’s voice dripped with menace as he continued, "I’m not sure if you remember me, but I certainly remember destroying Team Plasma’s largest sanctuary. Burnt it to the ground. And I can do the same here.”

Unbeknownst to him, Brianna was hidden behind a pillar, a rifle gripped tightly in one hand, her phone in the other. As the trio approached a marked line on the floor, Brianna tapped her phone screen, triggering an electrical charge. Electricity crackled in the air, sparking around the three Cipher members. The glow of their armor dimmed slightly and Brianna seized the opportunity. She squeezed the trigger, and a single shot rang out. One of the Cipher members crumpled to the ground, clutching his stomach, blood seeping between his fingers. The other two quickly ducked behind nearby pillars, taking cover. The leader’s voice cut through the tension, a cruel edge to his words. "You’re a smart woman, Brianna. It’s a shame you didn’t join us when Ghetsis was defeated.”

Meanwhile, in the gym, tables were arranged in neat rows, creating a maze of hiding spots. Rampardos crouched low, concealed between the aisles, as the Cipher members methodically searched each row. Sensing an opportunity, Rampardos hurled a ball to the opposite side of the gym. The ball bounced with a resounding thud, drawing their attention. As their gazes shifted towards the noise, Rampardos seized the moment. She charged forward with a powerful Headbutt, slamming one of the intruders into the wall with a sickening crunch. The force left the member crumpled on the floor, his armor dented inwards.

"Keep your eyes peeled," one of the remaining Cipher members barked as they began firing their lasers. Rampardos darted back into the shadows, narrowly avoiding the lethal sound waves. Another member knelt beside his fallen comrade, inspecting the damage. Suddenly, a table flew through the air, crashing towards them. They reacted instantly, shredding it to splinters with laser fire, but Rampardos was already in motion. With a quick Focus Punch, she disarmed one of the attackers and fired their own weapon at the other, who collapsed in a heap. Realizing the danger, the remaining Cipher members hastily retreated from the gym, leaving only a Shadow Psyduck behind. The Psyduck's eerie, dark aura intensified as it opened its beak wide, unleashing a Screech that echoed through the gym. The sound waves were deafening, sending all the tables flying back. Rampardos attempted to evade the chaos, but a rogue table crushed her ankle between its legs. Pain shot through Rampardos, but she forced herself to limp away as quickly as possible, with Psyduck hot on her heels. She stumbled into a nearby laboratory and frantically searched for something—anything—that could help. Her eyes landed on a syringe, and she quickly grabbed it. Psyduck entered the lab, scanning the room for his prey. Rampardos, hidden beneath a table, moved with agonizing slowness, trying to stay out of sight. She carefully opened a cabinet and pulled out stardust and a bottle of D5W, mixing them into the syringe in a desperate attempt to create a makeshift remedy. But Psyduck's acute hearing caught the faintest noise. It unleashed another Screech in Rampardos's direction. The soundwave shattered every glass container in the lab, sending shards flying and causing chemicals to spill across the floor—and onto Rampardos. She screamed in agony as the corrosive liquids seared her skin. Psyduck loomed over her, its dark eyes locked on her suffering. Mustering every ounce of strength she had left, Rampardos jabbed the syringe into Psyduck’s arm. But to her horror, the shadowy substance in Psyduck’s body reacted violently, latching onto the syringe and snapping it before the mixture could take effect. "Rampardos…" she gasped in disbelief, her voice trembling with fear. Psyduck responded with a cold, emotionless "Psyduck," before using Rest, sending Rampardos into unconsciousness.

Back in the hallway, Brianna and the two Cipher members exchanged fire, the sharp sounds of lasers echoing off the walls. "How about we make a deal?" the leader called out, his voice cold and calculated. "Surrender the Lugia and yourself, and we won’t kill you.”

Brianna, breathing heavily, pressed herself against the wall. "First, tell me what Team Rocket wants with him," she demanded, her voice steady despite the tension.

The leader glanced down at his fallen comrade, whose breath was ragged and shallow. Without a word, he began disassembling his weapon, retrieving a wire from its inner workings. With practiced precision, he attached the wire to a port behind his chest plate, charging his armor. The neon glow of his suit brightened ominously, casting eerie shadows in the dimly lit hall. Seeing the increasing light from behind the pillar, Brianna knew she was out of time. She made a break for it, sprinting down the hall. A blast whizzed past her head, the shockwave fractured the bones in her hand as she shielded herself from the impact. Gritting her teeth against the pain, Brianna didn’t stop. Behind her, the leader dropped his spent weapon and coolly walked over to his dying comrade, taking the laser from his limp hand. He motioned for the other Cipher member to stay behind and tend to their fallen companion. Determined to finish the hunt, the leader followed Brianna into the library, his steps slow and deliberate. He readied the weapon, his frustration mounting. Without hesitation, he fired a volley of sound waves into the bookshelves. Books exploded in a flurry of torn pages, the air thick with paper confetti. "You can’t hide forever," he taunted, his voice echoing through the now-ruined library. Brianna hurried upstairs but paused by a window overlooking the garden. She could see Cipher members closing in on the tornado shelter. Her mind raced as she glanced toward the legendary section of the library, grabbing a few books. Downstairs, the Cipher leader continued his rampage, firing his laser and tearing through more books. The destruction was relentless. Knowing she couldn’t hold out much longer, Brianna made her way back down, stepping into the open. The leader stopped, surprised by her sudden appearance. "Why?" he asked, suspicion lacing his voice.

Brianna met his gaze steadily. "Because you wanted me to surrender. Well, here I am."

Without hesitation, the leader fired his laser at her. The blast sent a shockwave through the air, and the vibrations crushed her lungs, causing blood vessels to burst under the intense pressure. The force of the sound wave threw her backward, and she collapsed to the floor, her body limp. In the garden, Ceruledge stood guard by the shelter door, sword arms ready to strike down anyone who dared to approach. Inside, the other Pokémon were tense, bracing themselves for a fight. The Cipher leader approached Brianna's motionless body, noticing a faint red glow from beneath her jacket. He lifted the fabric cautiously, revealing a cache of C-4 and grenades. His eyes widened as he saw the open hand, holding several pins loosely. Before the Cipher members could breach the shelter door, an explosion rocked the entire building. The blast shook the ground, sending debris flying. The Cipher agents halted, their attention snapped back to the source of the explosion. Ceruledge, seeing the attackers retreat, exhaled a sigh of relief, though the tension remained high. From the smoke, the Cipher leader emerged, his suit severely damaged, and one arm blown off. His face twisted in pain and fury. The other members quickly rushed to his side, helping him back to the vehicles. They took the unconscious Shadow Psyduck and the injured Rampardos with them, retreating from the scene. As they prepared to leave, one of the Cipher members noticed Francisco’s truck parked nearby. He pulled out a camera, snapped a picture of the license plate, and then they sped off, leaving the sanctuary in ruins.

The gang arrived at a small, quiet plaza tucked away in a less busy part of town. The atmosphere was calm, almost too calm, and the stillness of the surroundings put Eclipsa on edge. Charizard, peering through the small window from the cargo area, let out a low growl, drawing Eclipsa's attention. She glanced back at him and caught the knowing look in his eyes, indicating they should park nearby. Francisco shifted nervously in his seat. "Now what? Do we just wait here or…?”

Before he could finish, Charizard shook his head, already making his decision. He pushed open the cargo door and stepped out, his powerful frame casting a shadow over the pavement. Eclipsa followed his gaze towards the plaza, noticing several figures approaching them, their steps purposeful and deliberate. A man clad in leather, accompanied by a sleek Meowscarada, was the first to reach them. He moved with an air of authority, his eyes sharp as he assessed the newcomers. Eclipsa and Francisco stepped out of the semi, feeling the weight of the moment. "Brianna sent you?" the man asked, his voice calm but laced with intent.

Eclipsa nodded. "Yes, she did. Who are you?”

At her question, Meowscarada let out a quiet chuckle, her amusement evident. The man, seemingly unfazed, responded, "That's none of your concern.”

Francisco, ever protective, stepped forward. "And what will happen to Lugia?”

Charizard, standing close, let out a reassuring growl, as if to say, Trust them. The tension in the air eased slightly as Meowscarada and Charizard exchanged a nod, a silent greeting that spoke volumes. Eclipsa exhaled, feeling a bit more at ease. "I'm just glad Lugia will be safe. He needs time to recover.”

The man, whose name they still didn't know, moved towards the truck. As he climbed in, Goodra and Snivy lingered near Lugia, saying their quiet goodbyes. There was a sadness in their eyes, but also hope—hope that this was the right choice. Before the truck door closed, the man turned back to them. "By the way, there's no Team Plasma.”

Francisco looks puzzled, caught off guard. "We didn’t even mention them.”

The man smirked, a hint of mystery in his expression. "Then you better make sure of that. Have a good night.”

Eclipsa, still processing his words, stammered slightly. "You too… ahh…”

"Zeek," the man finished for her, a rare smile breaking through his stern demeanor. With that, the truck roared to life, and they drove off, leaving Eclipsa, Francisco, and their Pokémon standing alone in the dimly lit plaza. The silence returned, more profound than before, as the group watched the truck disappear into the distance. Whatever happened next, they knew they were part of something much bigger—a game with far higher stakes than they’d imagined.

Grace entered Martin's office with a determined stride. The atmosphere was thick with unspoken tension, a feeling she couldn’t quite shake. They exchanged firm handshakes before settling into their respective chairs, the weight of their conversation already bearing down on them. Ampharos moved quietly to close the blinds, casting the room in shadows, and then locked the door, ensuring their privacy. Martin leaned forward slightly, his expression unreadable. "What happened in the interrogation room?”

Grace took a deep breath, replaying the scene in her mind. "The guy who runs the fight club... he had a ring in his eye.”

Martin’s eyes narrowed, his interest piqued. "What do you know about this ring?”

"These rings are created by Hoopa," Grace explained, her voice steady but low. "They're originally intended for espionage, used by the PIA to spy on many evil organizations. But in this case, it’s been turned into a weapon.”

Martin leaned back, contemplating her words. "You’re suggesting there’s something bigger at play?”

Grace met his gaze directly. "Yes, sir. But you already knew that, didn’t you?”

A faint, almost imperceptible sigh escaped Martin as he clasped his hands together. "Remember when you asked why I didn’t want Eclipsa involved? There’s a reason. Where you’re from, the citizens and police work together, united against those who wish harm. But here, Ryme City is different." He paused, letting the weight of his words sink in. "You would think the reason Pokémon battles are illegal here is because people don’t want to see their Pokémon get hurt; but that’s not the real reason.”

Grace leaned forward, curiosity and concern etched on her face. "So what’s the real reason, then?”

Martin’s voice dropped, almost to a whisper. "Simple. When there are no Pokémon battles, there’s no Battle Agency. Without a Battle Agency, there’s no authority. And when there’s no authority, Ryme City becomes a safe haven for every evil group in the world.”

Grace felt a chill run down her spine. "Including Team Rocket Laboratories?”

Martin nodded solemnly. "Including them. Ryme City can be a very dangerous place if you’re not careful.” At that moment, Eevee, who had been quietly observing, placed her paw gently on the plastic bag containing the ring. The gesture was subtle, but it spoke volumes. Martin glanced at the Eevee and then back to Grace. "Let’s keep this between us and Leo. The fewer people who know, the better.”

Grace stood, feeling the weight of their conversation more than ever. "Have a good night," she said, though the words felt hollow given the gravity of their discussion. Ampharos moved to unlock the door, and as Grace left, she discreetly shoved the bag into her pocket. The door closed softly behind her, leaving Martin alone in the dimly lit room, deep in thought.

Top Bottom