• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon A Sense Of Self (DPA, Mischief And Malice entry)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
"Hey, who left the window open?"

"Worry about that later! It's time for cake!"

Good, they weren't going to look for her. Mitsumi's operation had gone according to plan, and she was in and out of the lab while the scientists had been distracted in the other room.

She recalled her Duskull, who had been watching guard for her, and headed into the nearby forest. Veilstone would be just a few hours walk, so she had plenty of time to think. The information had been easy enough to obtain, but she wondered about the reason why.

They had been celebrating something. Celebrations in the Galactic base were always unauthorized and always clandestine, since they were technically forbidden. And the idea of celebrating a birthday, why would that be anything to denote?

She would ask Cyrus about it. He had taught her everything anyway, and usually answered any questions she had. He knew her better than she knew herself, and she trusted him with everything.

"My report, boss." She handed the short summation across the desk to Cyrus. "Everything has been turned over to the lab."

He nodded and glanced down the paper. "I see. There was no complication."

"They were distracted, sir. Although I wanted to ask you about why. It doesn't directly concern the mission, so whenever you have time."

Cyrus set the paper aside and looked up at her, his icy eyes giving his neutral expression a piercing quality. "Now seems appropriate. Proceed."

"As you will, sir." Mitsumi saluted again, just as she had when she entered his office. "They were celebrating a birthday. We've never done so, correct?"

"Correct. Celebrations are a waste of resources and based in meaningless sentimentality." He rested his hands before him on his desk. "Mitsumi. What did their celebration entail?"

"Um." She thought for a second. "They mentioned cake. I heard clinking, implying they were drinking something as well. There was much laughter, and I believe they were playing a game where a blindfold was involved."

Cyrus let his eyes close and inhaled deeply. "I see. Party games designed to disorient for amusement..." He met her gaze again. "Such events usually imbibe either alcoholic or carbonated drinks, both of which rot the body and can lead to addiction...." By that point, he seemed to see straight through her. "Mitsumi, you are at an age where you are susceptible to such influences. You are to be stronger than that."

She glanced away for a brief second before looking back at him. Someday, would she be able to make people that uncomfortable with just a look, as if she was seeing their very essences? It seemed to come so easily to him. "Actually, sir, that's another question."

"Oh?"

"Well..." Again she looked off to the side for a second. "You know I don't remember anything of my life before you found me. Consequently, I don't know how old I am. Do you know?"

"You were approximately five when I found you in Mount Coronet. It has been four years."

"I know that, but I mean anything more specific. I don't know when my birthday is." It was almost with a sense of resignation that she looked back at him.

"Neither do I. But the specifics are unimportant." He finally released that intense stare and looked back at the paper in front of him.

"Do you know your own birthday, sir?"

"I do."

"When is it?"

At first it seemed like he would ignore her, as he picked up his pen again. But after a few seconds he continued. "I will not tell you, because you will wish to denote it with celebration. I have been through this exact exchange with other officers as well, and you are receiving the same answer I have given them."

"Oh..." She slumped a little at the totality of it all.

"Mitsumi." Cyrus's blunt voice snapped her back to attention. Though he looked down at the papers in front of him, his direct tone ensured that he was fully in command. "You are above that. Do not consider it desirable to sink to the level of the common, emotional folk. Their base mentality is a plague that we exist to remedy, and our new world will liberate us from such shackles as sentimentality. We will no longer be bound by the limitations of our weak minds."

"Of course, sir." Saluting again was a kneejerk response, something she was conditioned for without any clear memory of having been taught it.

He began to write something, pausing with an intentional weight to it before adding "If there is nothing more..."

Mitsumi thought for a moment, as quick as she could, and an idea occurred to her. "Sir, if I can have permission to leave the base today."

"Do not stray for long, but granted. Consider it a reward for accomplishing your mission." He returned to the form in front of him and when she said nothing, he concluded with "You are dismissed."

Another salute, and she exited to the hallway, doors sliding shut behind her. The idea she'd had was something unlike anything she had ever thought of before, and to consider it was incredible and terrifying all at once.

It wasn't going against Cyrus's orders, not really. It would be a simple shopping trip, nothing she hadn't done before. But as she checked out of the base at the front desk and headed out into Veilstone's afternoon light, she found that she was tingling from head to toe, both from the heady sense of rebellion and the thought that he might perceive her actions as something treasonous. The combination of excitement and deep, cutting regret propelled her feet through the city streets.

She was still in her undercover clothes, in case she had been spotted and had to pass as an average kid, but even avoiding the suspicious stares of others in the city couldn't shake the growing sensation that Cyrus's piercing stare was still upon her, as if it was some broadcast spreading out over the population. In a way he did see everything, the way he could analyze the whole of human nature and cut to the heart of any issue.

Mitsumi just hoped that the grocery store was in some manner of blind spot.

With every step, she seemed to feel the echo of her heartbeat resonate, but she kept walking with a strange sense of determination that she couldn't put her mind quite on. If she just kept walking, if she just kept going, if she just kept telling herself that it was just a purchase like any other, she would be able to keep ahead of the wave of guilt that she knew she would feel once she was finished.

The purchase was small but she hid it away in a bag anyway, and looked around in search of anybody who could have seen her before ducking down into the loading dock behind the store and settling down on the steps next to a truck dock with her forbidden treasure.

Cheap sheet cake had never tasted so good, Mitsumi thought as she stuffed a chunk of it in her mouth. Savoring the first bite for herself, she remembered Duskull before she could take a second, and released him to offer a bite. He seemed content to take a dollop of frosting from her fingers, and didn't question what the occasion could be.

Far too quickly, the cake was gone, save for a few streaks and crumbs, and Mitsumi licked up as much of the evidence as she could. She would return to base, wash up, return to her training, and nobody would be the wiser for her transgression.

Or that was the hope anyway. Cyrus had a way of knowing everything, so she hoped she could avoid him for the rest of the day.

The cake container went into the recycling bin on the corner, rather than the big bin behind the store, and she wiped her mouth with her wrist to get the rest of the crumbs away. Nobody she wanted to avoid had seen her, so there was no one to betray her actions.

"We didn't do anything wrong," she told Duskull, though it was clear even to the detached ghost that she was trying to convince herself. Duskull snickered a bit and patted her on the shoulder, but she moved to face it a moment later. "Do I have anything in my teeth?"

It bobbed back and forth to indicate a negative, but paused and wiped away a touch of chocolate from between her front teeth.

"Ah, thank you. I'll have to go back in to check..." Her action of recalling Duskull was more stilted than usual, only happening after a pause to consider her actions, and reentering the store, she felt the gaze of every security camera. "...didn't do anything wrong," she told herself again.

It was always a bit unusual to see her reflection have brown eyes. Her natural color was almost always covered up by green contacts, the color of her hair, out of Cyrus's demand for uniformity. These missions were different, though, and she had to be able to pass as a normal person.

Normal people had birthdays though. Normal people knew those basic details about themselves.

She found herself with her hand up to her reflection in a gesture she had heard described as sympathetic. To hold hands with another was a sign of affection, but to hold hands with yourself was something self-soothing, so she watched her hand move with itself in perfect time.

"Yeah," Mitsumi said to herself, "today is..." She took a shaky breath and forced herself to look in her reflection's eyes. "Today is my birthday."

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
I've been waiting ages to tear into this... so let's get started... (draws out cake cutting knife)

I found it initially very amusing that Mit' is using the grunts hosting a birthday party as a means to sneak off considering... everything. Also the time of publication and your own personal history, I was snickering a little from that alone... but I am easily amused so there is that.

It's both sad and amusing to see the Grunts of your 'verse trying for normalcy despite being part of something that a) is totally not normal. and b) considering Cyrus' end game... yeah that'll get deleted too.

I kinda wonder how clandestine the party really was... I mean the singing alone, and how do they sneak the cake (and I'm assuming hats) into base... that's probably a bit of a tale in and of itself....

Mit's loyalty makes her sound very young, even without in-depth knowledge of her you get a sense of "young" in just how utterly trusting she is. Also her "he knows everything" has a certain childlike vibe that establishes her innocence in a place and setting that probably shouldn't be hosting a little kid like that...

Even though it's all prim and proper, with an overall aura of "and we shall not excessively emote" the back and forth between Cyrus and Mit' comes across as rather cute. She's going to wait patiently, tell him she's being patient... it's not too horridly important but...

stronger men than Cyrus would have gone "aww" and set aside what they were doing to answer. I know, logically, he's not... but the thought flashed into my mind a bit....

I love how Cyrus' question sounds almost dreading... despite his highly probable monotone at the time. Perhaps cringing on the inside to imagine a rousing game of "pin the tail on the executive" or something actually scandalous happening on his oh-so-impersonal and perfection-in-progress base...

and his restrained sigh says, yep, I'm imagined correctly. Interesting that he's using this as a teaching moment (granted what he's teachings is of... questionable quality, but still it perversely shows he cares and is rearing her... even if it's a bit outre) it's a nice break from the canonical (game canon mainly) interpretations you see of him knocking around in fandom spaces.

Is he imposing impossible standards and possibly life-shattering stuntedness on this kid, yep, is he doing so because in his emotionally suppressed way he cares, also yep.

And between the back and forth of those two we get that Mit's really young here... I'd personally pegged her as twelve in this peice... which really would make the setting loom in her eyes. How is she seeing Cyrus over his desk I can only imagine her on her tiptoes and straining to look up to him just right/respectfully...

(because the only canon Cy' is short is the shining/switch remakes where he's chibbified)

Of course, he'd be like... "yeah and I'm not sharing with anyone and you aren't the first to ask..." you can get the low-level irritation in that near grumble.

Now first read through I suspected as soon as she said she wanted some time off that she was going to do some sort of under-the-table rebellion... Because there's a sense of "I want" and she's of the age where she's gunna gently poke at the parameters she's been presented with and play on pushing the envelope.

Heh and she's all like.. I'm only pushing the chair to the table to go after the forbidden cookies that technically aren't forbidden just only put out of easy reach.... that's how the whole outing feels at least.

Considering I can't imagine she's ever had sheet cake before... I suspect it's a mix-match of the heady rush of rebellion successfully completed plus a surplus of sugar and her age melding together to make that the "best cake ever" (trademark symbol here). Laughs I kinda have to wonder how a dusk' can eat considering the whole ghost/skull thing... but ah well it's a cute image and I can imagine the mon lingering at bakery shops after this, gently tugging his trainer's sleeve covertly from here on out.

Hmm and it ended a bit as it started didn't it? An under-the-table rebellion. The grunts party and Mit's marking her own birthday to herself (the hands too motion, the self-soothing could also count, since it's rooted in emotion but that's an essay in and of itself).

Essays aside, I really liked the piece, thanks for sharing this insightful view into Galactics ah.. smallest executive in the making.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Oh wow a review right away!

It's not the grunts having a party though...she was stealing something at a lab and *they* were having a party. That's why she was so confused, because it was unlike anything she had ever seen before. I'm sure some grunts have tried though, but they wouldn't last for long at it before being rerouted to clean the latrines or something.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Ah rereading it I can see where that could be confusing since she uses "the lab" to refer both to the one she invaded and the one she turned the data over to. But yeah they would have been in a lot of trouble if that was grunts doing that.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
You know, I see a lot of characters as autistic but Cyrus just isn't one of them. If you want to see me write a character who I think is, check out Obsession! Or anything I've written about Volo.

I'm glad you know this series! It's really good and needs more recognition.

Thanks for reading! And haha yeah I could go for some soda right now too

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
This was a lovely little story! My familiarity with DPA is limited (I only read up on it a bit when judging your previous DPA contest entry *Solar System*), but it works well regardless. You do a really nice job with the characterization of Mitsumi as this child who looks immensely up to Cyrus as a parental/mentor figure, while also sort of fearing him a bit and feeling suffocated by him, on a level she may not quite be able to articulate. He's everywhere, sees everything; she feels so rebellious and conflicted and terrified at the idea of buying herself a little birthday cake, and has to try hard to convince herself she didn't do anything wrong by doing so; she salutes him as a conditioned response. It's just very sympathetic and tragic, and instantly makes the reader root for her little rebellion of having a cake anyway and deciding this will be her birthday. Duskull is cute, too; not a big role, but you get some good use of space with her letting Duskull out to share as soon as she's had the first bite and asking it if there's anything in her teeth, showing they're companions who share little mundane things as a matter of routine.

And Cyrus, of course, is just fun to read in his scene. Love his exasperation with Team Galactic members trying to celebrate his own birthday, to the point where he refuses to even tell anyone when it is these days, and his worldview comes through very clearly and feels coherent, in his own terrifying Cyrus way.

Couple of line quotes:

"Such events usually imbibe either alcoholic or carbonated drinks, both of which rot the body and can lead to addiction...."
Is that meant to be "involve"? I'm pretty sure "imbibe" is what you would use to describe the actual drinking, but the event can't drink anything.

She glanced away for a brief second before looking back at him. Someday, would she be able to make people that uncomfortable with just a look, as if she was seeing their very essences? It seemed to come so easily to him.
Love the admiration conveyed here, the sense that he does this so easily and she can't and wishes she could emulate him.

With every step, she seemed to feel the echo of her heartbeat resonate
The echo of her heartbeat? Surely heartbeat doesn't echo, and if it did, probably you'd mainly be feeling the actual heartbeat rather than its echo, right?

a strange sense of determination that she couldn't put her mind quite on.
This phrasing tripped me up a little; I feel like I haven't really heard of putting one's mind on something (at first I thought you were about to write "put her finger on"?) and wouldn't you usually place the "quite" after the "couldn't"?

All in all, enjoyed this a lot; it keeps the scope small but it does exactly what it needs to do. Nice work!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
aaaaah more people need to read DPA it's so good!

I guess "involve imbibing" if anything. And with "echo of her heartbeat" you know how you feel it all over when you're nervous? How you can practically hear it when your heart's pounding? With the last one, I was trying to invoke that she couldn't quite focus her mind on things.

Top Bottom