• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon A King's Journey

Summary and Author Notes

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
 After a hard-fought battle against Destoroyah, Godzilla takes his last breath and closes his eyes, accepting his death as his body slowly melts away.

However, even in death Godzilla continues to fight, opening his eyes once more to a world unknown. Now trapped in a body weaker than he would've liked, he begins his journey under the eyes of a trainer, learning and growing as he meets friends and foes alike.

This story is rated T for teen, each chapter will have a warning of potential triggers at the top in case it contains things that might disturb someone.

This fic was mostly written when I was distracted from the process of writing my main fic, Just a Normal Day. And thus, any updates will be sporadic and inconsistent due to my brittle attention span.

This fic is also a more fun experiment, as I explore how a narcissistic kaiju deal with suddenly being a much weaker creature and slowly caring for the people around them. That and while scrolling through FFN and AO3, I was a little disappointed at how little fics have this premise and you know what they say about wanting to read things that don't exist, write your own (or however that saying goes).

And one last thing to note, this fic's world is the same as the one (*hint* *hint* the anime world) found in my main fic as I'm both lazy to create a new one, and feel like it'd be fun to delve into that world with a different perspective.

And with that being said, I welcome any criticism and feedback thrown my way.

Last edited:
Chapter 1 : The End and Beginning of a King

ShiniGojira

Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
This chapter contains gore and violence. Viewer description is advised.

It was merely days ago when it awoke. It held a power that felt familiar to him. A power he had thought was lost decades ago, a power that made even him, the king of all monsters, shudder. In the following days, he began his search and slowly accumulated in strength, taking in the human pests' nuclear energy and chasing down the fleeing beast until he finally came face-to-face with the creature created by the remains of his predecessor and the Oxygen Destroyer.

Plumes of smoke hung over the city and molten metal pooled over the streets, coating them in a cool silver sheen. Raging across the land, fires consumed the surrounding buildings, its sheer ferocity and viciousness making the blaze look like it had a mind of its own.

Standing amid the ruined city, a large reptilian beast towered over the flames, his body glowing a wrathful orange gleam, steam seeping out of his black scales, wrapping the air in its intense heat. Boiling blood oozed from the beast's wounds, sticking onto his melted scales in large clumps.

Godzilla, the king of all monsters, glared at his enemy, his eyes burning with rage. He'd had enough of this farce. Growling with a heavy huff, he leaned back, his dorsal spines lighting up with an orange glow, the surrounding heat grew and grew until finally, the kaiju unleashed his attack.

Pain struck his insides as he opened his jaws, a beam of condensed radiation zoomed through the sky, colouring the night in an ominous red glow.

The beam crashed into the kaiju, a crustacean-like monster with wings reminscent of a bat and a horn sticking from its head, exploding into a massive cloud of dust and steam.

The resulting explosion clouded his view of the kaiju, Destoroyah, but he knew that his attack had done nothing against it, it wasn't nearly enough to defeat this monster.

Emotionless.

Destoroyah stared at the king, the dust settling as it stood, its body showing little signs of injury. The beam had done nothing, just as he had predicted, it was another dud, just like all of his previous attacks.

Godzilla did nothing to it.

It continued to stare at him, its posture nonchalant, not even acknowledging the attack and frustrating Godzilla to no end. His tail slammed against the crumbled buildings, and a roar tore through his throat, shaking the ground beneath him as his spines glowed once more, a familiar power rushing through him but this time it had evolved, growing multiple times stronger than the last.

His foe took the beam head on but unlike the last one where it had taken it without flinching, his attack had torn through a chunk of its flesh, its wounds bathed in glowing yellow blood, staggering the winged beast and allowing Godzilla to rush towards it, his claws tearing through the scales of the kaiju.

Destoroyah roared in pain, yellow blood gargling from its throat and foaming at its mouth. Lowering its head, it attempted to block with its wings to no avail as Godzilla merely chomped down on them, trying to tear them off its body.

It roared and thrashed around with little success before realising it couldn't escape from its current position, it then ceased its struggle, seemingly giving up. Godzilla, his mind brimming with fury, continued to beat down the monster, never once noticing his opponent's glowing horn until it was too late.

*Slash!*

Its horn sliced through Godzilla's scales like a hot knife through butter. Boiling blood spewed across his torso, covering his enemy's face as he cried out in pain, staggering backwards. Destoroyah, seizing its opportunity, took hold of him, preventing him from leaving as it shoved its horn deeper, pushing him through several buildings and throwing him aside like a ragdoll, explosions and steam laying in his wake.

He heaved a breath, searing pain burning every part of his body, accompanying the heat that permeated. His power was overwhelming, hurting him yet helping him, it felt like it was too much and yet it also felt like it wasn't enough. He was going to die in this battle, it had seemed inevitable, but as long as he could kill the beast in front of him, he couldn't care less what consequences his death would have on the world.

Godzilla lifted himself from the rubble as a shudder of pain ran down his scales, unfortunately, just in time for a tail claw to latch itself onto his neck. He scratched at the tail, trying to pry it off his neck with minimum success. Biting it wasn't plausible either, the tail being too low for his muzzle to reach.

That left only his Atomic Blast.

Charging up and letting the overwhelming heat resurface again, he glanced up, aiming for his opponent and–

The grip on his neck tightened, making him choke on his attack as his legs left the ground and weightlessness took hold of him. Destoroyah let out a roar, tossing him into a building and firing a beam of its own, vaporising the scales of his body and causing a massive explosion that swallowed him up.

A pained roar escaped his muzzle, melted scales sticking onto his face, covering one of his eyes and obstructing his vision. He quickly tore the melted scales off, blood oozing from the injury as his vision slowly healed. Panting from the pain and fatigue, Godzilla struggled to his feet, blurry vision glaring at Destoroyah.

It was so strong. So powerful. Why was this… this thing so strong? No matter what he did, no matter what minuscule damage he could deal to it. It always recovered, it always came back unharmed, undeterred by his might, by his rule. It was irritating, it was painful, it was driving Godzilla mad.

How dare that thing act that way towards him, HIM! He was the king of all monsters, the strongest in the universe! Not even that supposed 'stronger' crystallic fake, that false king, those metallic versions of his likeness could stand to his full might. He always bested them, he always won against them, he was always stronger than them.

But then… then why? Why was this infuriating creature acting like none of his attacks did anything to it? Why did it act like it was better than him? What? Just because it had taken down his predecessor? Was that one pathetic win all it needed to act like it was greater than him?

Godzilla growled, rubble and boiling blood fell onto the ground, mixing themselves with the molten concrete. He hated to admit it, but pure power wasn't getting him anywhere against such an annoying foe. Tearing it to shreds was a no-go, he had tried that earlier but it had merely split apart and regrew itself shortly.

He needed a strategy, one that wasn't just about tearing his opponent from limb to limb, he needed something that could help him, he needed to… to…

Junior?

Darkness consumed the world around him, the cracking of the fires, the stars twinkling above, and even the kaiju that bested him had all but vanished as he locked eyes with the still and motionless body of his child. An unknown feeling surged within him, hurting more than the heat that consumed his body. He stumbled forward, not believing his eyes.

This couldn't be happening. This wasn't real.

Junior wasn't… his son, his child, his heir, he wasn't… he couldn't be–

D-daddy? his child croaked out, the sheer pain from hearing his son's tired voice had hurt him more than he could ever imagine. It-it's so cold… pl-please… daddy… Help me…

The king leaned down, nuzzling against his dying son, a low rumble escaping his throat. Don't worry, my son. I'll… I'll figure something out. Daddy will save you. Just…

It was already too late.

His son's presence was fading, dimming to a shallow version of what it once was. The life leaving his child and the ever-growing cold consuming his body. It hurt. It'd hurt so much…

Knowing that he was too late.

That he was…

That he had failed the only thing he had truly cared about.

He growled, glaring down at his claws and body, the orange glow reminding him of that beast, taunting him for his failure. What was the point of all this power if he couldn't even save the one thing that mattered to him?

His heir. His son. His kin. He was gone. He had failed as a king… and as a father.

And… and…

It was all because of Destoroyah…

His status, his pride, his kin and now his only child.

That bastard took everything he ever had.

And. He. Was. Going. To. Make. Destoroyah.

Pay.

His anger reached a boiling point. Steam clouded the land around him as he glared at his enemy, orange flames curling around his teeth. The molten concrete beneath him stuck to his feet, every ounce of hatred in him filled the roar he let out, a song of anguish and pain reaching the ears of the human vehicles flying about. His body fumed, expanding past the seams of his limits, his power was overwhelming and it burned him, pleading for him to stop.

But Godzilla no longer cared.

Not his role as king, not the humans that inhabited this world, and not his own life.

He needed to do this.

He needed to avenge his son.

He needed to kill Destoroyah.

Even if it meant destroying the world.

His scales lit up along with his body, the bright glow having long since intensified to the point of blinding any who was unfortunate to witness it, the flames around him twirled, enrapturing his being in a dance of death and pain.

His head was spinning, the heat was overwhelming, his body ached and screamed until… he could no longer feel a thing.

Numb.

His mouth split open and he unleashed the strongest Atomic Blast he'd ever utilized. The beam pierced through his foe, its screams of pain were like music to his ears. He held onto his attack for as long as possible as his consciousness began slipping, his body losing its footing as his muscles and bones melted away and away and away…

Darkness enveloped him and the last thing he'd heard before fading away was the sound of his child's mournful roar.

And death finally embraced him in its chilly grasp as the mantle of King passed on.

Empty.

Dark.

He felt nothing, saw nothing and heard nothing.

No cold, no warmth, no noise, no smell, no nothing. Nothing but his thoughts occupied his existence and it was… lonely…

Where was he? Was this the 'hell' the humans had spoken about? Was his son alright? Why couldn't he see anything? Why couldn't he feel anything? Why couldn't he… Why couldn't he…

His thoughts spun around his mind, slowly getting louder and louder until they devolved into incoherent gibberish.

It became deafening to the point where he just couldn't take it anymore.

He tried to block out the noise but only succeeded in making it louder, he tried to scream but only silence came out, he tried to run but his body didn't obey, he tried to… he tried to…

What was he doing again? He could've sworn he was just– Ugh, where was this place? Why was he here? What was going on–

No! his mind screamed, striking back against the unseen force and although he couldn't roar, the sheer anger he could procure at the force was more than enough to get his message clear.

The resulting pain was overwhelming. It was like a claw was gripping his mind, squeezing it dry and tossing it around before throwing it back into his head.

He panted, eyes closed before the first glimmer of light peeked through his eyelids. The light then quickly intensified, growing brighter and brighter to the point that it was physically hurting him. However, no matter how much he tried, he couldn't face away from the light, it was as if something was holding him down, forcing him to stare straight into the blinding abyss like it was his punishment for disobeying whatever deity had touched his mind.

The light continued to grow and grow, burning against his scales as it enveloped his very being until he could see nothing but white.

Pain assaulted his body and mind, something soft yet rough was touching his scales, his body shivered at the cold winds and he took in a breath on reflex. He froze, feeling the sensation of fresh air reaching into his lungs and out of his mouth. Holding a claw against his chest, he could feel the motions of his body as a familiar sound grazed his ears.

It was the sound of a heartbeat.

And it was then, he realized that he was…

Alive.

He was alive.

Alive!

How was this possible? How was he still living? He was very sure he had died, the pain from melting into a puddle was something he was sure he would never forget. Questions continued to rampage his mind and unfortunately, he had no answers that could quell their rage.

"Woah, where did you come from?"

Godzilla turned his head at the sudden voice, his posture lowered, claws raised and eyes glaring at whoever had spoken. The creature had white fur with blue stripes trailing from its head down to its bushy tail, he could see sparks of electricity caressing its yellow cheeks along with the surprise found in its perked ears and widened eyes. It didn't exactly look dangerous nor threatening but then again neither did many of the monsters he'd fought.

The creature noticing his aggressive stature, raised its paws and shook its head with a distressed look. "Woah, woah. I'm not here to fight."

He could tell by the look in its eyes that it was being genuine but he didn't dare lower his guard. "Who are you and where am I?" he said with a low growl.

The creature chuckled nervously. "I'm-I'm a Pachirisu and um, we're in a forest, the humans call this place Route 205."

A forest? That couldn't be true. There was no way there'd be a forest if he was here, his sheer size alone would've smashed everything into pieces by now and that wasn't mentioning the radiation he secreted from time to time, everything should've been dead by now so that meant this Pachirisu thing had to be lying.

Godzilla shook his head with a growl, baring his teeth. "Don't play games with me, whelp. Tell me exactly where I am or your life is forfeit."

The Pachirisu let out a startled squeak and attempted to flee but Godzilla was swifter, having caught it by the neck and was currently pinning it against the ground. The Pachirisu choked, struggling but failing to get oxygen into its lungs before Godzilla loosened his grip. "Where are we?" he asked once more, touching heads with the creature and giving it a front row of sharp teeth.

"We-we're in… Route 205, please, I just saw you appearing out of nowhere when I was foraging for… for berries. Please… let me go… I'm-I'm telling the truth…"

Again, it was lying to him. It definitely didn't know who he was if it had risked lying to him twice, he was going to teach this creature a lesson on why exactly he was the king of all monsters.

However, before he could even begin this creature's lesson, a loud voice sounded off behind him, shock and excitement clear in its tone. "What the heck? That's a Larvitar! What's it doing here?"

Before he could even begin to think about what a 'Larvitar' was, the creature in his grasp took this opportunity to wiggle out and escape. He thought of chasing it down and subduing it again but thought better of it and decided that his attention was better suited for whoever had just shown up.

"What are–" Godzilla blinked and blinked again to make sure he wasn't seeing things. There was a human standing before him but there was one issue, one massive issue.

And that one massive issue was the human that was absolutely towering over him.

But how was this possible? This shouldn't be possible. They were the size of ants before, nothing but pests and vermin, how did—

"I just saw you appearing out of nowhere…"

Appearing out of nowhere… was it because he'd been reborn? And if so, was he reborn into a smaller creature or did the humans somehow become much bigger after his demise?

He glanced around and for the first time in a while, he was seeing things bigger than him that weren't just gray and black. When he had first awoken, he had thought he had woken up in the middle of the night but now, he realised that that wasn't the case. The darkness around him didn't come from the starry night but rather because of the trees surrounding him, standing far taller than he'd ever imagined they would.

As he admired the familiar yet different experience of nature, a flash of red caught his attention and when he turned back, a new creature appeared in front of the human. It was black and had a pointy, thin something sticking out of its head, it had a cloak made of leaves, flowers and grass covering its black exoskeleton, however leaving its head exposed.

It levelled a glare at him and he answered it by baring his teeth.

"Razor Leaf," the human shouted and the creature's cloak shone a white glow.

What an obvious attack. Godzilla scoffed as he leaned back and reached deep within him for the familiar pull of his radiation and–

Where was it?

Where was his radiation? His nuclear power? Why couldn't he feel it? Where was his energy? His life force? His essence? Where was–

Cuts and gashes appeared across his scales and he cried out in pain, stumbling backwards and bracing himself against the onslaught of sharpened… leaves?

Gah! Whatever they were, they cut through his scales like they weren't even there, leaving him reeling in pain as he struggled to stay on his feet. His breaths were laboured and heavy as each movement brought a magnitude of pain throughout his body, he glared at the creature despite the pain, teeth bared as he tried once again to reach the radiation deep within him.

Once again, he felt nothing.

But he didn't give up as he reached deeper and deeper and deeper until he felt something that reacted to his pull. It was like a fluid that felt rough yet soft, tough yet nimble, quick yet slow. He tugged at it and it tugged back, reaching for him as he accepted its pull and allowed it to flow into his body and into his movements.

Raising a claw, the ground beneath shook as chunks of rocks rose to the sky. He brought his claw down and the rocks followed suit, dropping back onto the ground with no rhyme or reason.

"Whimmy, Protect!"

The falling rocks kicked up dust and he opened his eyes to see nothing but a cloud of dust. However, he didn't wait for the dust to settle and instead he ran towards where he last saw his foe with little regard for his wounds. As he manoeuvred through the obstructions in his way, a glimmer of green light peeked through the dust and he let out a roar, striking the light with all his might, the sheer force from his blow blew away the dust and revealed a green dome shining below him.

Despite his heavy breathing and growing fatigue, he didn't relent from his attacks for a moment. This was do or die. Even when his body was loudly protesting his reckless flurry of attacks and even when the pain of forcing his body to its limits was scathing, he didn't let himself slow down. He couldn't afford to slow down.

He wouldn't experience death again. He didn't want to experience it again. He didn't want to experience the feeling of helplessness again.

That insanity-inducing silence.

That pain.

That numbness of having his thoughts consume everything.

He would win this battle and live!

Cracks began to form on the green dome, spreading so quickly, the protective dome looked more like a poor imitation of Kumonga's web. With one last strike, the dome shattered into a million pieces, his opponent stared back with wide eyes, a shrill shriek escaping its pointy mouth.

Opening his jaw wide and with his teeth bared, he pounced on his foe, ready to tear into the flimsy creature's exoskeleton. However, before he could get any closer, a flash of red blinded him and his teeth sank into nothing but thin air.

With the sudden disappearance of his foe, his momentum carried over and his body crashed onto the hard ground with a harsh thud and he couldn't prevent the pained scream from escaping his lips. He sucked in a breath, forcing himself to stand. His arms wobbled and his legs were threatening to give out, he stumbled, struggling to keep himself straight as the world spun.

Fighting through the pain, he barely acknowledged the feeling of something metallic knocking him on the noggin. It did draw his attention and he tried to look at where it had come from but a flash of red blinded him once more and in a short moment, it spread across his body, enveloping him and tossing him back into the darkness again.

Last edited:
Wrath and Violence Solve a Problem, Not

ShiniGojira

Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
Unnatural cold crawled into his scales, clawing awake his nerves and senses, his mind waking into the land of the living once more. A gnawing sensation pricked at his stomach and light assaulted his retinas as soon as he opened his eyes, but he didn't react, merely welcoming the pain, and enjoying the comfort and relief it brought him.

So, he was still alive.

He took in a breath and let it out, glancing away from the burning light and to his surroundings. Clarity flooded his mind as he scanned the pearly white walls around him, the stench of chemicals wafting in the air provided a sense of familiarity in this strange and unknown location. Where on Earth was he?

Memories came flashing into his mind… right. He wasn't on Earth anymore or at least not his Earth.

Two Earths…

That revelation didn't strike him as hard as he'd expected. Though he couldn't find a reason why it would, it didn't matter whether there were one, two or a hundred Earths. As long as he had a place to live and rule over, there was no reason for him to fret over trivial matters.

Godzilla got onto his feet, a bit of discomfort following his every move. While his new body was similar to his old one in many ways, he still couldn't get over the feeling of how light he felt. Every movement was easier and it almost felt like that time he'd been blasted to the Moon, and that wasn't mentioning his newfound height or lack thereof.

As he stood to his full height, shorter than most pests if that one that had attacked him were to be referred to, his body immediately began sinking into the ground. Alarmed, he stood still for a moment, noting how weirdly soft the ground was to his scales. Eventually, he stopped sinking and while a little puzzled at what just happened, he didn't let himself dwell on that too long. He had to get back to his original strength and stature so he could dish out the proper punishment to that pest and that pet of theirs.

Glancing around, he noticed that he was on a platform of sorts and briefly contemplated on how he should get down before ultimately deciding to jump off, leaving a few cracks and a dent in the ground. Godzilla wandered around with no short amount of perplexity, everything around him was so much larger than he was. How did these creatures live like this? And was the ground supposed to feel this smooth? It feels so odd…

Just where was he? He had never seen walls this weird nor this white before. He glanced at the walls and at his claws, an idea forming in his mind. He still didn't know what limits this body had nor its strength after that farce of a battle. And what better way than to test it out by demolishing the wall that stood in his way.

Godzilla raised a stubby arm and–

A pink glow enveloped his arm, stopping him from tearing down the wall and escaping his prison. The sound of something metallic reached his ears and he turned to face it. There was a pink and round creature that stood at a gate of sorts, but any further details were muzzled when he noticed the pink glow surrounding its nubby arms.

Snarling, “Relinquish your hold on me at once, you disgusting cretin!” he growled, baring his teeth at the newcomer.

Unphased by his aggression, the pink creature prattled, keeping a steady gaze on him. “Absolutely not, young Larvitar. Until you refrain from damaging our establishment…”

Godzilla didn't listen any longer, instead putting his focus on fighting against the psychic hold on his arm. It broke surprisingly quick but in less than a second, it took hold once more, the grip significantly stronger than the last.

“Please stop resisting, I do not want to hurt–”

He broke out of the psychic hold once more, barely using any more effort before he turned and lunged. However, he didn't get more than a meter in the air before his body seized up and froze, the pink aura now covering every inch of his new form. Suspended in mid-air, he thrashed around, limbs flailing as he desperately tried to escape the hold that threatened to crush this pathetic form.

Eventually, whether through sheer determination or his new body was stronger than it looked, the psychic hold weakened and he plummeted to the ground with a mighty crash, shaking the floor as he broke the smooth stone. Without skipping a beat, he got up, glanced at the pink creature and–

Vines wrapped around him, constricting his arms and legs and immobilizing him. Biollante? he mentally questioned, only knowing of one monster capable of utilising vines in combat. Godzilla opened his mouth, preparing to burn away the vines with a fiery blast before grimacing when he remembered that he had lost his nuclear energy. But that didn't stop him from tearing at them with his mouth, and his teeth did the job well enough, ripping them apart easily and loosening their grip, thus allowing him to escape and hunt down the ones who dared oppose him.

“Insolent whelp,” he hissed, glaring at the pink creature and the… “Insect!”

That pest’s pet was here! And it was colluding with the round one. He shook his head. No matter. He had already gotten used to their attacks, they couldn't hope to hold him in again. With fury in his eyes, he snarled, not even noticing the psychic hold on his body as he broke through and tore away the coming vines. Did they honestly think working together could allow them to stand up to him? The King of All Monsters?

He reached into his body, channelling that energy he felt from the prior battle. As he ran, chunks of the floor floated and coalesced into a jagged orb twice the size of him, it soared through the air, following his mental directions as it flung itself towards the bug.

With a loud squeak, the bug countered with a few of those sharp leaves, slicing the projectile in half. Unfortunately for it, he hadn't intended to use the attack for more than a distraction as he followed up by sinking his teeth into its leafy cloak. It shrieked in pain as he swung his head back and forth, shaking away the leaves on its body in his reckless vigour.

It was then the round creature decided to stop him in his tracks, pushing him away with a loud screech. He stumbled back, his highly sensitive ears in agony over the painful noise.

But he recovered quickly and just in time to notice a bunch of blue powdery substance floating around him and–his legs buckled, his mind becoming blurry and his vision greying as his muscles failed to respond. What was going on? What did they do to him? His eyes drooped heavily as a wave of fatigue hit his system, he gritted his teeth and fought off the desire to rest.

No…

He wasn't going down now…

He wasn't going down again…

Not again…

Not…

The former king crashed onto the ground with little grace, eyes shut and snoring without care as his world faded to black once more.

When he woke up, he found himself in a grassy field with the sun’s warmth embracing his form. He glanced around, basking in the beautiful heat, it reminded him so dearly of the warmth that had permeated his body for millenniums. It made him briefly forget the gnawing in his stomach. He could feel the winds tickling his scales, the grass beneath brushing against him. Never had he thought he could experience it in its living form.

“... for making you stay in there for so long. If I’d known you liked the sun so much, I would've sent you out earlier,” a vaguely familiar voice said, interrupting his train of thought.

He turned around to face whatever the creature was and–it was that disgusting pest! The one that'd commanded that insect and dealt him a humiliating defeat! Never had he felt so violated to see one up close.

He snarled, growling at the hand that tried to reach him. What nerve! The pest backed off, speaking more of its useless garble. Godzilla took a step forward, teeth baring and relishing in the pest’s fear. Yes, that's right. Fear me and understand your place! This pest had to pay! That humiliating defeat from its pet…

He lunged.

And was stopped.

A series of vines wrapped around his torso and this time, his muzzle too, completely immobilizing him as the pest took out a red and white orb, and he was thrown into a world that was heavy with fog.

Clarity returned to him when the starry night became visible. He was once again in a field, the sun having long since set presumably hours ago.

It was peculiar how the night sky was still as huge as it had always been. It was the one thing that had stayed the same ever since he’d been reborn.

He enjoyed it.

How unfortunate it was that the pest had to come and disturb him.

This time though he didn't hesitate and immediately went for him, causing whatever contraption in its hands to fall off and onto the dirt, scattering its contents as he…

… was once again immobilized.

Infuriated, he thrashed around in his confines, nearly tearing apart the vines through sheer will alone before he was once again sent back into the foggy realm.

It was midnight when he was back in reality again.

“Graaah!” he roared, his wrath polluting the quiet atmosphere around him.

How dare that pest! And how dare that insect push him around! Did they know not of what they were angering? Did they honestly believe they could keep him trapped forever in that foggy realm?

He glanced around and in his rage, kicked away at a nearby log, completely shattering it into splinters and bits. There was a lingering scent of burnt and charred wood floating around, one that he was quite familiar with. He noticed a strange fur-like structure a couple of meters away and what looked to be a weird device that had four legs merely a few meters in front, it also seemed to be made out of plastic. Noting that it was likely one of those pests’ contraptions, he made his way over and began tearing away at it; the senseless destruction did little to quell his rage. Breaking apart a leg, he threw it at a tree, carving a large chunk out of it. That was quite enjoyable.

But it wasn't enough to quench his rage. He needed more!

He tore another leg out, the gnawing sensation in his stomach doing little to weaken him as he threw it at the nearby structure.

But before it could connect, it suddenly froze in mid-air, as if held by an invisible force.

Seeing that broke him away from his anger-fueled rampage and he gave the floating plastic leg a wary glance. A freezing chill ran down his spine and he balked at the feeling. He was never going to get used to the feeling of coldness.

The floating leg slowly moved towards him, occasionally waving the sharp and broken edge towards him. Never one to fear anything, he stood his ground, claws ready to tear it apart. It stopped abruptly and vanished from view but he hadn't had the time to react before a voice spoke.

What were you doing? Little Larvitar?~” It sounded close to his ears, real close, like it was behind him. He turned around quickly but saw nothing. Godzilla glanced at his surroundings, trying to discern the owner of the voice. Giggles rang through the air, some were close like the creature was a mere inch away from him while others sounded far, muffled and muted by the distance.

He was getting tired of this charade. “Show yourself, cretin!” he growled though that seem to have only provoked the creature further as its giggles and laughter grew louder and louder until finally he snapped and let out a roar that displayed a wealth of Power!

The world around him quieted to a standstill and the obnoxious laughing slowed to a crawl. A small creature blinked into existence, it was a very dark shade of purple and it had a mane that flowed in an invisible wind. The gems around its neck seemed to shine as it held the plastic leg in its mouth. It stared at him with a blank look as it slowly and silently descended, not keeping its eyes off of him as it did so.

Before he could even think about the creature’s sudden appearance, it burst into laughter, the plastic leg dropping onto the ground as it shrieked and bellowed, its mane flowing erratically. “Fwahahaha! What in the Distortion World was that? Was that supposed to be a roar? That sounded like a newborn Skitty’s mew!” It cackled with newfound vigour, its little body shaking and tears forming in its eyes.

Godzilla growled. He didn't know what a Skitty was but it was plain to see that this spirit was mocking him. Despite his anger, however, he held his tongue, it was fruitless trying to fight a spirit. He already had problems doing so back in his original form, and even though it pained him to admit it, he currently stood no chance against something that could go intangible.

“Why do you deem yourself worthy of being in my presence, spirit?” he all but demanded, his short tail flicking behind him and his eyes locked on the spirit, not daring to let it out of his sight.

The spirit’s cackling slowly ceased until it faded fully. It turned to him with a glare, all the precious mirth lost in its eyes. “Oh, y’know. Just enjoying the night and the moon, normal ghost stuff. I let you out ‘cause I wanted some company but nope, guess you just have to throw a tantrum and ruin our campsite! ” The spectre’s voice teetered on the verge of shrieking. It grumbled some more incoherent gibberish before continuing. “You’re lucky I know how to isolate sound otherwise, Ted and Whimmy would be awake right now. And trust me, you do not want to interrupt her beauty sleep.” Admittedly, it was a little disturbing to see a ghost quiver in fear but Godzilla didn't focus on that, instead, his attention went to the familiar name he'd heard.

“Whimmy? That insect is here?”

That elicited a response from the spirit, its eyes narrowed and its mouth thinned. “That ‘insect’ kicked your ass, Larvi.” It scoffed. “And why do you wanna know? Unless you wanna get your ass kicked again, you wouldn't wanna wake her now of all time.”

Godzilla snarled. “That bug’s victory was a fluke. It had caught me off guard when I hadn't gotten used to this frail body.”

“Uh huh.” It rolled its eyes. “Keep telling yourself that.” Godzilla only scowled at the blatant insult. “Well, if you'll excuse me. I'm gonna enjoy myself for the rest of the night. You're free to do whatever you want. Just–” Its eyes glowed menacingly as it showed off teeth that should not belong to a creature so small. “–don’t attack my friends! Or I'll make you regret being alive.”

And with that threat delivered, it flickered out of sight.

To any lesser being, that pitiful display of intimidation would've left them in a catatonic state but to Godzilla, he who had faced creatures beyond mortal comprehension (and won), it did little to deter the anger that began to stew as he processed the infuriating conversation.

His eyes fell on the fur-like structure a fair distance away. His tail swished behind him, patting the ground and dispersing a cloud of dust. For a moment he stood there, the moonlight shining down on his black scales. With a stifled yawn, he turned away, made his way over to a dent in the ground, and curled into himself.

This body was too weak and tired anyway. He could bide his time and challenge that insect and spirit later.

But for now, he needed his rest.

Morning arrived and as he came to enjoy another quiet slumber, something prodded at him and he, acting out of pure instinct, attempted to bite whatever was disturbing him. It, however, did not work as whatever was annoying him was at least smart enough to retreat.

Not smart enough to leave him alone, however.

He opened his eyes, teeth bared as he glared at the annoyance. A plumage of leaves and flowers filled his vision along with a familiar black carapace. It was that insect! “You!” he snarled, quickly getting onto his feet as he pounced at the bug with a claw aimed at its throat.

Its eyes narrowed but not with any stress or fear. A vine slipped into his range and he cursed at himself as he wasn't in the position to dodge or tear it and was thus subsequently immobilised as it wrapped itself tightly around his torso, pinning his arms to his sides yet being low enough that he couldn't easily bite or chew through it. He found that he could still wiggle his arms but even after a minute of struggle, he couldn't escape his planty constraints. That didn't mean he stopped, however.

“... it's nice to officially meet you!” The insect spoke despite his efforts to escape, nonchalantly looking at him as if he wasn't a threat.

Godzilla snarled, biting at another vine that came close to his face.

The insect’s features tensed. “Hey, I'm just trying to say hello,” it said before shaking its head. “Never mind. I'm Whimmy, what's your name… uh if you have one, of course!” Godzilla thrashed around, not even bothering to give the insect any attention beyond the bare minimum. “Arceus, you're really aggressive, aren't you? Are most Larvitars like that? Oh, whoops, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying that most wild Pokémon I met aren't as bad as you–n-not that I'm saying you're bad! I just meant–”

An exasperated sigh cut off the insect’s inane blabbering. “It's not gonna work, Whimmy.” A new voice, along with the presence of last night’s spectre winked into existence. It gave him a tired look. “You’re not gonna get through this guy. Trust me, this guy’s not worth the effort. We’d be better off telling Ted to ditch this guy than waste our time.”

“Psh, you know we can't do that, Minda!” the insect said. “Besides, I'm sure we can convince him! We'll be best buddies in no time!”

“He already tried to attack you three times.”

“Only because we provoked him first! If we didn't fight him then he wouldn't–”

“He wouldn't what? If I recall correctly, he tried to tear down a wall when he woke up! No sane mon would ever dare try to destroy a Joy’s property!”

“I–”

Angry at being ignored, Godzilla snarled and shouted, “Release me this once, you pathetic whelps! I will not tolerate being ignored and played around like a toy!” His glare was filled to the brim with a new batch of rage, if looks could kill, they'd both be melted sludge under the flames of his fury.

There was a slight moment of fear that washed over the insect and he relished in it before it disappeared as the insect glared back at him, matching his wrathful sight with annoyance. “If you could stop trying to fight me and listen then I wouldn't have to tie you up!”

How cute. Godzilla almost scoffed at its pitiful display. The insect really thought it could intimidate him? If he still had his essence at claw, the insect before him would've been nothing but a pile of ash. But once again, as he squirmed underneath the vines, he was reminded of his frail body and how truly pathetic–no, not pathetic. As the king, he would never be below any of these cretins. He’d merely need to regain his strength and figure out his new body’s abilities.

Unfortunately, he couldn't do so without these insects bothering him. And with his lack of strength, he couldn't get them to leave him. It was truly a frustrating cycle. And worse was how he couldn't release any stress by satisfying his lust for destruction on one of those metal fields the pests called a city.

His planty chains loosened, snapping him back to reality and he made to lunge. But like the previous times he tried that, he was subdued. This time, not by a volley of vines but rather a soft cyan glow that covered him from head to tail. He thrashed around, almost breaking free of the psychic hold before it strengthened and darkened in colour.

“Arceus, you're stronger than you look. I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with a scrawny lizard like you.”

Scrawny? Godzilla growled, levelling a seething glare at the spectre, if he was in his right mind, he'd be revelling in the fear he'd instilled but he was too furious to care and he doubled his efforts into breaking out of the psychic hold. “You insolent scum. I'll destroy everything you hold dear! Starting with that pest you love so much–”

“Enough!” the insect shouted and the psychic hold on him faltered and broke, allowing him to– The insect turned to him, and a dome of leaves fluttered into existence before it fell and coalesced into a dome of protective light. His eyes met the insect’s underneath it and against all reason, he flinched.

It wasn't out of fear, of course, but rather from the change that now appeared over the insect’s eyes. It glared at him with no short amount of frustration, its previous demeanour gone as the protective light dispersed. “You wanna fight? Fine! But if I win, you'll have to stop fighting us and let us help!”

“Whimmy. What are you–” The spectre started but froze over when the insect levelled a glare that would make Caesar proud.

“Shut up! I'm tired of him constantly attacking us after we saved his life!” Saved his life? Godzilla scoffed. As if he needed the help of a bunch of pests. The insect turned to face him, a vine inching dangerously close to him. “If all it takes is one short battle to get him to stop attacking and let us help. Then fine!”

“Whimmy, you can't just–just do that! Ted won't… His body’s not–”

“I can and I will!” It lashed at the ground with a vine, carving an inch deep into the ground before facing him. “Come on! You wanna go? Then let's go!”

Not needing to be told twice, he moved forward, claws reared back as he tore through the vines obstructing him. A volley of sharpened leaves flew at him, and remembering their strength, he leapt to the side, dodging the full brunt of it as a few grazed his scales.

He bit back a hiss, eyes locked onto the stationery insect. The unfamiliar energy within him came to life and following the motions that he'd undergone before, he reached out a claw, the earth shifting along with his movements as a chunk of stone floated beside him. He sent it through the air, the stone sailing through with little resistance as it honed in on his foe.

The insect lashed at it with a vine, cleaving the rock in half. But he hadn't been idle as behind the rock, he followed, emerging from the dust that appeared as he lunged forward. The insect avoided his claws with minimal movements before knocking him back with the vines along with the air in his lungs. The blow hurt far more than he thought possible but he didn't relent, charging in with intent to kill. He summoned another rock only to have the insect carve it in half before he could even command it to move.

“Are you done yet?”

Godzilla scowled, angry at the nonchalant tone in the insect’s voice. How dare it! How dare it treat him with such disrespect! He was a god, a king! This insect was making a mockery out of him. He snarled, a dry growl rumbling in his throat. No matter, he just had to show the bug what the King of All Monsters could do.

He stood there for a moment. The insect stared back at him, not even taking the opportunity to attack. A mistake. And it was going to regret not taking him seriously.

With a guttural roar, he clawed at the ground beneath him, channelling the power within him and launching the dirt and sand to his adversary as he charged forward. And like before, a vine came to intercept him. He gestured for a rock to emerge and it obliged, blocking the vine as he reached closer. Another vine came. Another rock blocked it. He was close, close enough to–

While the insect was busy with his rocks, the dirt and sand he'd flung with his power landed in its eyes, blinding the pathetic whelp. Taking advantage of the opportunity, he stomped the ground, sending shockwaves through the earth as several more rocks came to his side. The insect flinched as the shockwave shook it down to its roots, and a vine reached out to remove the dirt in its eyes. Surprisingly, the insect still stood firmly on the ground even after taking the full force of a boulder slightly bigger than it. It screeched in pain before violently lashing out, cleaving the other rocks he'd sent before calming down once it regained its vision.

Unfortunately for it, he was already on the move and with one swift jump, his teeth went in deep, the taste of iron filling his mouth was an unpleasant one. The insect thrashed, letting out a screech of pain that threatened to blow his ears off. It was… getting difficult to tell up from down. His small body was getting thrown around like a ragdoll, he bit harder and the screech grew louder and the motions more erratic. It was only through sheer determination that he was still able to hold on and even that was a miracle.

For the umpteenth time since his rebirth, he cursed his body’s weakness as he could feel his grip slipping. He desperately tried to hold on, pouring every ounce of strength into his bite but it wasn't enough. A vine had wedged itself between him and his opponent, and it lashed at him, throwing him away and onto the dirt.

He crashed and skidded against the ground, uprooting grass and getting his scales scratched by rocks and pebbles. The pain from the impact was coming to him and despite the adrenaline, he could feel an immense burning pain across his underbelly. It was likely from the large gash that had appeared after he was thrown and while it hadn't drawn blood, it still hurt like there was no tomorrow.

Getting onto his feet, Godzilla glared at his foe, exhaustion creeping up on him with every laboured breath that escaped him. He snarled, ignoring how his underbelly flared in pain at his reckless movements. This wasn't the end. He would not lose to an inferior bug! He refused to lose to a pathetic insect! He was the King of All Monsters! It didn't matter that he had been reduced into a vessel that held barely even a fraction of his original strength. He would win!

Something responded. Like a dam bursting at the seams, a new wave of energy surged within him, cloaking his body in a dark aura, his eyes glowed, the light blue tinged with wisps of red and yellow. Power filled his veins, his muscles bulging with the excess energy as he felt an incredibly familiar rage overwhelm his body. A low growl rumbled in his throat and he turned, glaring at the insect with rage that burned at his core. He fell onto all fours, every ounce of the proud king vanished and was replaced with a mindless and feral beast that needed no words to convey his earthly desires.

Left. Right. Left. Right. His instincts drove him to do what he hadn't considered. The horn that he didn't know he had, slashed at the vines, and combined with his claws and teeth, it had made it all the easier to approach his opponent.

He rammed into the insect, a green dome of energy meeting his horn. He didn't stop. He continued, his mind driven by one impulse, the urge to make this cretin pay for the humiliating defeat. The bug needed to pay! It would pay back for its–

*Crack*

Like a mirror falling and shattering against the floor, the dome cracked and fizzled away, the startled squeak giving all the satisfaction he needed as he drove his horn deeper and deeper and–

Pain exploded against him and before he knew what happened, he was sent flying across the field, his aura dissipating into nothing as his body skidded against the ground, digging himself deeper and deeper into the dirt.

Several leaves were stuck in his body, each coated in what appeared to be the same aura he had held. The pain was mind numbing. But he could still go on. He had worse before. He could still continue…

He could…

He couldn't…

He couldn't move.

Why? Why couldn't he move?

His body was fine. His legs were still well despite the dozens of cuts in them. His arms were still with him and his body hadn't been split in half yet. He could still continue. Despite the numerous wounds that would be otherwise debilitating to any normal kaiju, he could still continue. He was Godzilla, he had experienced hundreds of wounds more fatal than this. He had survived worse than this. He had taken worse than this and he could still fight.

So why couldn't he? Why wouldn't his body believe he could still continue?

His vision was darkening, it was getting harder to keep hold of any coherent thoughts. His grip on consciousness was slipping but he couldn't give up. He refused to lose to an inferior creature.

No… he…

… couldn't…

… lose.

He couldn't…

And the king lay there, unconscious and beaten with little traces of yellow powder coating his being as he slipped into the realm of darkness.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, here for my Catnip review and to follow up on a glimpse that I got of this fic from your drabble collection back in Review Blitz 5. Though a Godzilla reincarnation isekai story, huh? That’s definitely a different one, though let’s see where this goes…

Chapter 1

It was merely days ago when it had awoke. It held a power that felt familiar to him, a power he had thought was lost decades ago. A power that made even him, the king of all monsters, shudder. In the following days, he began his search and slowly accumulated in strength, taking in the human pests' nuclear energy and chasing down the fleeing beast until he finally came face-to-face with the creature created by the remains of his predecessor and the Oxygen Destroyer.

Oh, so this Godzilla is whatever one comes immediately after the 1954 movie on, huh? Since I can see that ‘Oxygen Destroyer’ reference there.

Though I made a few suggestions for rephrasing tweaks here and there in this sequence. As a general rule of thumb, but most instances of passive voice (‘was [verb]ing’, ‘had [verb]ed’, etc) tend to sound better when formulated in active voice instead, especially in action-heavy sequences.

Plumes of smoke hung over the city and molten metal was pooling pooled over the streets, coating them in a cool silver sheen. Raging across the land, fires consumed the surrounding buildings, the its sheer ferocity and viciousness as it did so making it the blaze look like it had a mind of its own.

Standing amid the ruined city, a large reptilian beast towered over the flames, his body glowing a wrathful orange gleam, steam seeping out of his black scales, wrapping the air in its intense heat. Boiling blood oozed from the beast's wounds, sticking onto his melted scales in large clumps.

Well, I see that Godzilla is doing well™ at the moment give that he’s bleeding… what’s the kaiju equivalent of “buckets”, again? “Oil tankers”? ^^;

Godzilla, the king of all monsters, glared at his enemy, his eyes burning with rage. He'd had enough of this farce. Growling with a heavy huff, he leaned back, his dorsal spines lighting up with an orange glow, the surrounding heat grew and grew until finally, the kaiju unleashed his attack.

Pain struck his insides as he opened his jaws, a beam of condensed radiation zoomed through the sky, colouring the night in an ominous red glow.

The beam crashed into the crustacean-like kaiju, exploding into a massive cloud of dust and steam.

Okay, so while the story summary kinda gives things away, I kinda wonder if the story itself should’ve been more explicit about pointing out that this is Destoroyah, whether by an explicit namedrop, or else by more explicitly describing Destoroyah’s appearance. Since when you said ‘crustecean-like kaiju’, I at first was thinking more ‘giant enemy crab’ there until I peeked back up a bit.

The resulting explosion may have clouded his view of the kaiju, Destoroyah, but he knew that his attack had done nothing against it, it wasn't nearly enough to defeat this monster.

Oh, so there’s our namedrop. Though yeah, I stand by the comment that Destoroyah’s appearance should’ve been described a bit more given that people who aren’t immediately familiar with the Godzilla franchise likely won’t have much of an idea of how Destoroyah is supposed to look like.

Emotionless.

Destoroyah stared at the king, the dust settling as it stood, its body showing little signs of injury. The beam had done nothing, just as he had predicted, it was another dud, just like all of his previous attacks.

He did nothing to it.

Your use of pronouns here is a bit confusing, since Godzilla and Destoroyah are both canonically ‘he’s in the Godzilla series, so it was a bit unclear as to whether or not this was meant to be Godzilla doing diddly to Destoroyah or the other way around. My presumption was that it was the former given that this seems to be written from Destoroyah’s perspective.

It continued to stare at him, its posture nonchalant, not even acknowledging the attack and frustrating Godzilla to no end. His tail slammed against the crumbled buildings, and a roar tore through his throat, shaking the ground beneath him as his spines glowed once more, a familiar power rushing through him but this time it had evolved, growing multiple times stronger than the last.

Huh. So we’re still in Godzilla’s perspective right now after all. Though yeah, that’s why it might make sense to replace a few of these pronouns with ‘Godzilla’ or ‘Destoroyah’ explicitly, since I was honestly getting thrown as to the intent at different parts.

His foe took the beam head on but unlike the last one, his attack had done some damage, staggering the winged beast and allowing Godzilla to rush towards it, his claws tearing through the scales of the kaiju.

Destoroyah roared in pain, yellow blood gargling from its throat and foaming at its mouth. Lowering its head, it attempted to block with its wings to no avail as Godzilla merely chomped down on them, trying to tear them off its body.

The bit in underlined is a bit “told and not shown” since it’s not really obvious as to how Godzilla could tell this blow had hurt Destoroyah more than last time. Like the next paragraph makes it a bit clearer, but you’d think that Godzilla would first notice Destoroyah staggering and having some visible wound to come to that conclusion before lunging.

It roared and thrashed around with little success before realising it couldn't escape from its current position, it then ceased its struggle, seemingly giving up. Godzilla, his mind brimming with fury, continued to beat down the monster, never once noticing his opponent's glowing horn until it was too late.

*Slash!*

Godzilla: “... Maybe it’ll just be a flesh wound?”
701630550720512120.webp

Its horn sliced through Godzilla's scales like a hot knife through butter. Boiling blood spewed across his torso, covering his enemy's face as he cried out in pain, staggering backwards. Destoroyah, seizing its opportunity, took hold of him, preventing him from leaving as it shoved its horn deeper, pushing him through several buildings and throwing him aside like a ragdoll, explosions and steam laying in his wake.

Godzilla: “... Ow.” X_X

He heaved a breath, searing pain burning every part of his body, accompanying the heat that permeated. His power was overwhelming, hurting him yet helping him, it felt like it was too much and yet it also felt like it wasn't enough. He was going to die in this battle, it had seemed inevitable, but as long as he could kill the beast in front of him, he couldn't care less what consequences his death would have on the world.

Which, um… yeah, would be some consequences given that there’s a whole slew of beasties in Godzilla’s franchise who are even worse for the planet that he has to put down.
994427253242990704.webp

With a painful motion, Godzilla lifted himself from the rubble as a shudder of pain ran down his scales, unfortunately, just in time for a tail claw to latch itself onto his neck. He scratched at the tail, trying to pry it off his neck with minimum success. Biting it wasn't plausible either, the tail being too low for his muzzle to reach.

That left only one option.

Charging up and letting the overwhelming heat resurface again, he glanced up, aiming for his opponent and–

I think that the bit in underlined might make sense to explicitly spell out a bit more, since this will probably go over the heads of anyone who’s not a Godzilla buff coming in. But I’m guessing that this is supposed to be him melting down like in the 1995 movie.

The grip on his neck tightened, causing to making him choke on his attack as his legs left the ground and weightlessness took hold of him. Destoroyah let out a roar, tossing him into a building and firing a beam of its own, vaporising the scales of his body and causing a massive explosion that covered his very being swallowed him up.

A pained roar escaped his muzzle, melted scales sticking onto his face, covering one of his eyes and obstructing his vision. He quickly tore the melted scales off, blood oozing from the injury as his vision slowly healed. Panting from the pain and fatigue, Godzilla struggled to his feet, blurry vision glaring at Destoroyah.

498ed76be651cffb6bb9bac6a9bb75c3.jpg

It was so strong. So powerful. Why was this… this thing so strong? No matter what he did, no matter what minuscule damage he could deal to it. It always recovered, it always came back unharmed, undeterred by his might, by his rule. It was irritating, it was painful, it was driving Godzilla mad.

How dare that thing act that way towards him, HIM! He was the king of all monsters, the strongest in the universe! Not even that supposed 'stronger' crystallic fake, that false king, those metallic versions of his likeness could stand to his full might. He always bested them, he always won against them, he was always stronger than them.

Yeeeeeeah, good luck with that one buddy, given that I already knew enough about this story coming into things to know that this is a reincarnation isekai.

But then… then why? Why was this infuriating creature acting like none of his attacks did anything to it? Why did it act like it was better than him? What? Just because it had taken down his predecessor? Was that one pathetic win all it needed to act like it was greater than him?

Destoroyah:
589897202890047522.webp

“Also, cry more, buddy.”
Godzilla: “Oh, that tears it!”
916605380874862604.webp

Godzilla growled, rubble and boiling blood fell onto the ground, mixing themselves with the molten concrete. He hated to admit it, but pure power wasn't getting him anywhere against such an annoying foe. Tearing it to shreds was a no-go, he had tried that earlier but it had merely split apart and regrew itself shortly.

He needed a strategy, one that wasn't just about tearing his opponent from limb to limb, he needed something that could help him, he needed to… to… [ ]

Junior?

Wait, he’s here too right now? .-.

Though it might make sense to have given some sort of passing mention of a distinctive part of Junior that Godzilla sees or something, since I didn’t pick up on where this was coming from at first.

Darkness consumed the world around him, the cracking of the fires, the stars twinkling above, and even the kaiju that bested him had all but vanished as he locked eyes with the still and motionless body of his child. An unknown feeling surged within him, hurting more than the heat that consumed his body. He stumbled forward, not believing his eyes.

This couldn't be happening. This wasn't real.

Junior wasn't… his son, his child, his heir, he wasn't… he couldn't be–

701003665086873601.webp

Whelp, time for the Power of Hate to do its job.

[ ]

D-daddy? his child croaked out, the sheer pain from hearing his son's tired voice had hurt him more than he could ever imagine. It-it's so cold… pl-please… daddy… Help me…

It might have made sense to give Junior some sign of life, since, yeah. I at first just thought he was flatly dead there.

The king leaned down, nuzzling against his dying son, a low rumble escaping his throat. Don't worry, my son. I'll… I'll figure something out. Daddy will save you. Just…

It was already too late.

His son's presence was fading, dimming to a shallow version of what it once was. The life leaving his child and the ever-growing cold consuming his body. It hurt. It'd hurt so much…

Knowing that he was too late.

Destoroyah:
oh-no-anyway.gif

Godzilla:
giphy.gif

That he was…

That he had failed the only thing he had truly cared about.

He growled, glaring down at his claws and body, the orange glow reminding him of that beast, taunting him for his failure. What was the point of all this power if he couldn't even save the one thing that mattered to him?

To burn out in a blaze of glory and bring your kid back to life from residual radiation? :V

His heir. His son. His kin. He was gone. He had failed as a king… and as a father.

And… and…

It was all because of Destoroyah…

His status, his pride, his kin and now his only child.

That bastard took everything he ever had.

And. He. Was. Going. To. Make. Destoroyah.

Pay.

let-the-hate-flow-through-you-498-x-249-gif-5krz5o7myjlj9pe9.gif

Though I kinda wonder if this would also have been a good moment to drop in some mentions of how Godzilla’s body is reacting. e.x. is his body getting still hotter? Are his thoughts starting to grow clouded? His vision starting to react funny? It just feels like there’s certain stimuli from Godzilla processing loss and going full ‘seeing red’ mode that would be a part of his perspective that aren’t really dwelled on at the moment.

His anger reached a boiling point. Steam clouded the land around him as he glared at his enemy, orange flames curling around his teeth. The molten concrete beneath him stuck to his feet, every ounce of hatred in him filled the roar he let out, a song of anguish and pain reaching the ears of the human vehicles flying about. His body fumed, expanding past the seams of his limits, his power was overwhelming and it burned him, pleading for him to stop.

But Godzilla no longer cared.

Since… yeah, everyone who’s seen Godzilla vs. Destoroyah knows how this movie ends. Even if Godzilla obviously won’t be around to be cognizant of the true ending.

Not his role as king, not the humans that inhabited this world, and not his own life.

He needed to do this.

He needed to avenge his son.

He needed to kill Destoroyah.

Even if it meant destroying the world.

Okay, not that this isn’t very on-brand for Godzilla from GvD, but it might have made sense to have given a bit more context for readers as to how Godzilla is undergoing a process that could potentially burn up the planet’s atmosphere. Especially as to how Godzilla knows about it since presumably he didn’t get told this by the humans who figured out what was going on with him.

His scales lit up along with his body, the bright glow having long since intensified to the point of blinding any who was unfortunate to witness it, the flames around him twirled, enrapturing his being in a dance of death and pain.

His head was spinning, the heat was overwhelming, his body ached and screamed until… he could no longer feel a thing.

Numb.

Ah yes, it’s like those hundreds of anime gifs where people get overtaken by a wall of white in an explosion. Or I think, anyways.

His mouth split open and he unleashed the strongest Atomic Blast he'd ever utilized. The beam pierced through his foe, its screams of pain sounding were like music to his ears. He held onto his attack for as long as possible as his consciousness began slipping, his body losing its footing as his muscles and bones melted away and away and away…

Darkness enveloped him and the last thing he'd heard before fading away was the sound of his child's mournful roar.

And death finally embraced him in its chilly grasp as the mantle of King passed on.

Godzilla: “... Wait, so you mean Junior wasn’t dead all this time?”
928750398670503966.webp

Empty.

Dark.

He felt nothing, saw nothing and heard nothing.

No cold, no warmth, no noise, no smell, no nothing. Nothing but his thoughts occupied his existence and it was… lonely…

Oh, so we’re going all the way with this reincarnation isekai with Godzilla starting from an egg, huh?

Where was he? Was this the 'hell' the humans had spoken about? Was his son alright? Why couldn't he see anything? Why couldn't he feel anything? Why couldn't he… Why couldn't he…

His thoughts spun around his mind, slowly getting louder and louder until they devolved into incoherent gibberish.

It became deafening to the point where he just couldn't take it anymore.

I’m now curious as to what it sounds like when a Larvitar attempts to do a Godzilla roar.

He tried to block out the noise but only succeeded in making it louder, he tried to scream but only silence came out, he tried to run but his body didn't obey, he tried to… he tried to…

What was he doing again? He could've sworn he was just– Ugh, where was this place? Why was he here? What was going on–

No! his mind screamed, striking back against the unseen force and although he couldn't roar, the sheer anger he could procure at the force was more than enough to get his message clear.

Oh, so he’s going to mald his way out of an eggshell, huh? o<o

The resulting pain was overwhelming. It was like a claw was gripping his mind, squeezing it dry and tossing it around before throwing it back into his head.

He panted, eyes closed before the first glimmer of light peeked through his eyelids. The light then quickly intensified, growing brighter and brighter to the point that it was physically hurting him. However, no matter how much he tried, he couldn't face away from the light, it was as if something was holding him down, forcing him to stare straight into the blinding abyss like it was his punishment for disobeying whatever deity had touched his mind.

The light continued to grow and grow, burning against his scales as it enveloped his very being until he could see nothing but white.

Godzilla:
200w.gif

Pain assaulted his body and mind, something soft yet rough was touching his scales, his body shivered at the cold winds and he took in a breath on reflex. He froze, feeling the sensation of fresh air reaching into his lungs and out of his mouth. Holding a claw against his chest, he could feel the motions of his body as a familiar sound grazed his ears.

It was the sound of a heartbeat.

And it was then, he realized that he was…

Alive.

He was alive.

Alive!

Ah yes, so it’s time for the self-equivalent of:

How_Are_You_Not_Dead%3F.jpg

How was this possible? How was he still living? He was very sure he had died, the pain from melting into a puddle was something he was sure he would never forget. Questions continued to rampage his mind and unfortunately, he had no answers that could quell their rage.

"Woah, where did you come from?"

Godzilla turned his head at the sudden voice, his posture lowered, claws raised and eyes glaring at whoever had spoken. The creature had white fur with blue stripes trailing from its head down to its bushy tail, he could see sparks of electricity caressing its yellow cheeks along with the surprise found in its perked ears and widened eyes. It didn't exactly look dangerous nor threatening but then again neither did many of the monsters he'd fought.

Godzilla: “... I’m sorry, but are you a squirrel? I knew that Toho made my movies on a budget, but seriously?
401085511176814613.webp

The creature, noticing his aggressive stature, raised its paws and shook its head with a distressed look. "Woah, woah. I'm not here to fight."

He could tell by the look in its eyes that it was being genuine but he didn't dare lower his guard. "Who are you, and where am I?" he said with a low growl.

Wait, Godzilla has a frame of reference for accepting others backing off that he doesn’t interpret as submission to him? Since you’d think that’d factor into his thought process a bit more with how big being a ‘king of monsters’ was to him in the pre-reincarnation scene. ^^;

The creature chuckled nervously. "I'm-I'm a Pachirisu and um, we're in a forest, the humans call this place Route 205."

A forest? That couldn't be true. There was no way there'd be a forest if he was here, his sheer size alone would've smashed everything into pieces by now and that wasn't mentioning the radiation he secreted from time to time, everything should've been dead by now so that meant this Pachirisu thing had to be lying.

Pachirisu: “Buddy, have you tried looking around? You realize that you’re only half my height taller than me, right? And I’m not exactly MT from Big Monster 2.”
916590116670144542.webp

Godzilla shook his head with a growl, baring his teeth. "Don't play games with me, whelp. Tell me exactly where I am or your life is forfeit."

The Pachirisu let out a startled squeak and attempted to flee but Godzilla was swifter, having caught it by the neck and was currently pinning it against the ground. The Pachirisu choked, struggling but failing to get oxygen into its lungs before Godzilla loosened his grip. "Where are we?" he asked once more, touching heads with the creature and giving it a front row of sharp teeth.

Pachirisu: “Wait, no you’re not swifter than me! I have over double your base Speed sta-!” O_O;
Godzilla: “Answer. The. Question.
663472553570074646.webp

"We-we're in… Route 205, please, I just saw you appearing out of nowhere when I was foraging for… for berries. Please… let me go… I'm-I'm telling the truth…"

Again, it was lying to him. It definitely didn't know who he was if it had risked lying to him twice, he was going to teach this creature a lesson on why exactly he was the king of all monsters.

5f0.gif

However, before he could even begin this creature's lesson, a loud voice sounded off behind him, shock and excitement clear in its tone. "What the heck? That's a Larvitar! What's it doing here?"

Before he could even begin to think about what a 'Larvitar' was, the creature in his grasp took this opportunity to wiggle out and escape. He thought of chasing it down and subduing it again but thought better of it and decided that his attention was better suited for whoever had just shown up.

"What are–" Godzilla blinked and blinked again to make sure he wasn't seeing things. There was a human standing before him but there was one issue, one massive issue.

Godzilla: “Oh for crying out loud, now Toho’s sending out humans as their Kaiju? Really?
663472557835550752.webp

And that one massive issue was the human that was absolutely towering over him.

But how was this possible? This shouldn't be possible. They were the size of ants before, nothing but pests and vermin, how did—

Meltdown-kun: “You’re welcome, by the way.”
Godzilla: “This isn’t a good thing!
401076862924750848.webp

"I just saw you appearing out of nowhere…"

Appearing out of nowhere… was it because he'd been reborn? And if so, was he reborn into a smaller creature or did the humans somehow become much bigger after his demise?

Wait, does Godzilla even have a frame of reference for creatures being reborn prior to the events of GvD? If so, it might make sense to work it in here as a twofer of a mythology gag to his native series and also his realization of “... Oh, I came back to life, but this is way different than what I was expecting”

He glanced around and for the first time in a while, he was seeing things bigger than him that weren't just gray and black. When he had first awoken, he had thought he had woken up in the middle of the night but now, he realised that that wasn't the case. The darkness around him didn't come from the starry night but rather because of the trees surrounding him, standing far taller than he'd ever imagined they would.

As he admired the familiar yet different experience of nature, a flash of red caught his attention and when he turned back, a new creature appeared in front of the human. It was black and had a pointy, thin something sticking out of its head, it had a cloak made of leaves, flowers and grass covering its black exoskeleton, however leaving its head exposed.

I’m surprised that Godzilla isn’t freaking out a bit more given that he’s a lot smaller than he probably has any living memory of ever being at the moment. Like you’d think that unless he mentally is assuming “oh, well at least I still have my atomic breath” that he’d be freaking out a lot more right now about the possibility of getting nerfed to the point where he’s small and insignificant compared to a human right now.

It levelled a glare at him and he returned it in just, answered it by baring his teeth.

"Razor Leaf," the human shouted and the creature's cloak shone a white glow.

What an obvious attack. Godzilla scoffed as he leaned back and reached deep within him for the familiar pull of his radiation and–

Where was it?

Where was his radiation? His nuclear power? Why couldn't he feel it? Where was his energy? His life force? His essence? Where was–

Oh, there’s that ‘oh crap’ realization where Godzilla finds out that he’s gotten a hard nerf. Though hey, look on the bright side, at least you didn’t get turned into a Frigibax as the other Godzilla analogue Pokémon stomping around for the additional mind screwery when it dawns on you that you’d no longer spit heat of any sort.

Cuts and gashes appeared across his scales and he cried out in pain, stumbling backwards and bracing himself against the onslaught of sharpened… leaves?

Gah! Whatever they were, they cut through his scales like they weren't even there, leaving him reeling in pain as he struggled to stay on his feet. His breaths were laboured and heavy as each movement brought a magnitude of pain throughout his body, he glared at the creature despite the pain, teeth bared as he tried once again to reach the radiation deep within him.

Once again, he felt nothing.

Godzilla: “Come on body, this isn’t funny right now!
401074476474957834.webp

But he didn't give up as he reached deeper and deeper and deeper until he felt something that reacted to his pull. It was like a fluid that felt rough yet soft, tough yet nimble, quick yet slow. He tugged at it and it tugged back, reaching for him as he accepted its pull and allowed it to flow into his body and into his movements.

Raising a claw, the ground beneath shook as chunks of rocks rose to the sky. He brought his claw down and the rocks followed suit, dropping back onto the ground with no rhyme or reason.

Godzilla:
violet-spit-water-the-incredibles2.gif

“I’m sorry, but what the hell is this?!
1146196020993200158.webp

"Whimmy, Protect!"

The falling rocks kicked up dust and he opened his eyes to see nothing but a cloud of dust. However, he didn't wait for the dust to settle and instead he ran towards where he last saw his foe with little regard for his wounds. As he manoeuvred through the obstructions in his way, a glimmer of green light peeked through the dust and he let out a roar, striking the light with all his might, the sheer force from his blow blew away the dust and revealed a green dome shining below him.

Whimmy: “You’re new at this, aren’t you?”
916590528802480208.webp

Godzilla: “Shut up and stop hiding behind… whatever that stupid dome is!” >.<

Despite his heavy breathing and growing fatigue, he didn't relent from his attacks for a moment. This was do or die. Even when his body was loudly protesting his reckless flurry of attacks and even when the pain of forcing his body to its limits was scathing, he didn't let himself slow down. He couldn't afford to slow down.

He wouldn't experience death again. He didn't want to experience it again. He didn't want to experience the feeling of helplessness again.

It might have made sense to play up the sense of growing panic sinking in on Godzilla as he realizes just how underpowered he is right now relative to how he used to be, especially around the point where he gets hit by Razor Leaf and has the wind taken out of him by a visibly larger opponent, since I admittedly didn’t get the whole “do or die” vibe up to this point.

That insanity-inducing silence.

That pain.

That numbness of having his thoughts consume everything.

He would win this battle and live!

Whimmy:
bender-laughing.gif

“Oh, you’ll live alright, but yeah, you’re about to get your ass handed to you right now.”
Godzilla: “Let’s see how tough you’re talking when I’m through with you! Go! Dirt… rock… things. (Ugh, this is such a downgrade from my atomic breath.)”
916590061942894602.webp

Cracks began to form on the green dome, spreading so quickly, the protective dome looked more like a poor imitation of Kumonga's web. With one last strike, the dome shattered into a million pieces, his opponent stared back with wide eyes, a shrill shriek escaping its pointy mouth.

Opening his jaw wide and with his teeth bared, he pounced on his foe, ready to tear into the flimsy creature's exoskeleton. However, before he could get any closer, a flash of red blinded him and his teeth sank into nothing but thin air.

Cue the faceplant into the dirt in 3… 2…

With the sudden disappearance of his foe, his momentum carried over and his body crashed onto the hard ground with a harsh thud and he couldn't prevent the pained scream from escaping his lips. He sucked in a breath, forcing himself to stand. His arms wobbled and his legs were threatening to give out, he stumbled, struggling to keep himself straight as the world spun.

Yeah, I figured.

Godzilla: “Ugh, this is so humiliating right now.” X_X

Fighting through the pain, he barely acknowledged the feeling of something metallic knocking him on the noggin. It did draw his attention and he tried to look at where it had come from but a flash of red blinded him once more and in a short moment, it spread across his body, enveloping him and tossing him back into the darkness again.

Godzilla: “Did. Did I just die again?!”
401074476474957834.webp

Whimmy: “Obviously not since there’s more chapters to this story. But we’ll get to that later. (Preferably when you’re a good distance away from me since gods, there’s something wrong with you.)” .-.

Alright, made it to the end, and while I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this story, I think that in the end I had fun with things. Your story’s definitely got a very unique premise, since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Godzilla x Pokémon crossover before, much less a reincarnation isekai crossover. The characterization I felt was the main standout of the opening chapter, and you did a decent job of getting into Godzilla’s head, especially in the opening sequence where he’s slugging it out with Destoroyah and getting into the mindset of someone who’s the ‘King of Monsters’ and suddenly finding themselves significantly humbled. There’s a couple parts where I wished you’d shown a bit more of it off, but what’s there is already pretty good.

That said, there were some parts that I felt could’ve been done better. Some of it was some odds-and-ends nitpicking regarding phrasing, which probably can be taken care of pretty easily. On the more structural side, but I thought that some parts of the Godzilla franchise side of things are a bit lacking in context for people who aren’t familiar with the series, since I admittedly had to look a couple of parts up to get at what the story was behind different things that were either alluded to or else mentioned abruptly. e.x. the whole meltdown dynamic and the danger it posed to Godzilla’s home world. I also thought that some parts were a bit “told and not shown”, which makes a few things read as coming a bit out of nowhere. It was most noticeable for bits pertaining to Godzilla’s mental or emotional state such as the part where he gets into his fight with Whimmy since I didn’t pick up on Godzilla perceiving himself as being in danger until it abruptly gets mentioned, which might have worked better getting built up more and getting shown off more beforehand via his thought process in the narration.

But altogether, I thought it was still an enjoyable read, and it makes me wonder if it wasn’t just Godzilla who wound up getting isekaied since… well, it wasn’t just Godzilla who died in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, but I suppose that’s a story for another day. Hope the comments were helpful, and I’ll be looking forward to crossing paths with you and your writing sometime soon, @ShiniGojira . ^^

ShiniGojira

Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
Ah, thanks for the review!

Your use of pronouns here is a bit confusing, since Godzilla and Destoroyah are both canonically ‘he’s in the Godzilla series, so it was a bit unclear as to whether or not this was meant to be Godzilla doing diddly to Destoroyah or the other way around. My presumption was that it was the former given that this seems to be written from Destoroyah’s perspective.
The use of pronouns is more of a quirk of the big G as this Goji tends to view others as beneath him and thus think of them as savages or animals and viewing others as an 'it'.

Also speaking as a Goji nerd here, Destoroyah is genderless as there's nothing confirming what its gender is, although there is a theory suggests it might be a female due to its biology but again, nothing confirms it.
Which, um… yeah, would be some consequences given that there’s a whole slew of beasties in Godzilla’s franchise who are even worse for the planet that he has to put down.
994427253242990704.webp

Oh totally, like the time the humans travelled back into the past to kill Godzilla when he was young and then came back to a present where a giant alien hydra destroyed everything.

Oh, so we’re going all the way with this reincarnation isekai with Godzilla starting from an egg, huh?
Eh, this scene's more like he's in a limbo of sorts. Though I guess I can see how it feels like he's in an egg... should probably do something about that.
Wait, Godzilla has a frame of reference for accepting others backing off that he doesn’t interpret as submission to him? Since you’d think that’d factor into his thought process a bit more with how big being a ‘king of monsters’ was to him in the pre-reincarnation scene. ^^;
Actually, there are a couple of kaijus that he hangs around with from time to time, Anguirus, Rodan, Mothra. Though I guess if this Goji was fully Heisei era, he probably wouldn't. But I made him a sorta composite of Showa, Heisei and a bit of MV just so I can play around with Goji's lore.

So he does have some kaijus that aren't fully submissive and he's fine with letting them go as long as they don't disturb him, lie to him or challenge him.

Wait, does Godzilla even have a frame of reference for creatures being reborn prior to the events of GvD? If so, it might make sense to work it in here as a twofer of a mythology gag to his native series and also his realization of “... Oh, I came back to life, but this is way different than what I was expecting”
Admittedly, I'm not sure since I haven't actually seen much of the Heisei era so maybe not? But as I use lore from other eras. He does know that Mothra can reincarnate into an egg she laid if she ever dies and has tried to fully kill her before. (Reborn egg lore from MonsterVerse)

And yes, a gag would probably work rather well here. Thanks for the idea.

I really appreciate the suggestions and feedback you've given me! Thanks for checking this out and I'm glad you had fun with it! I certainly did when coming up with this!

Top Bottom