• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon You are a Leafeon

Oculus049

Waiting for something to happen...?
You are a leafeon. The warm spring breeze trickles over your cream-colored fur and tickles your tall leafy ears. You push your oak brown paws into the cool dirt below as you try to find a comfortable place to lie down. Tufts of grass cushion you as you finally find the perfect spot. The familiar feeling of grass caressing your belly and scent of honey blossoms puts your mind at ease.

As you begin to absorb the rejuvenating rays of the sun, you watch as the small humans play on the strange and colorful metal and concrete playground. The humans have tire and chain swings, but you have your own vines which you use to swing off of the branches of the trees. The humans have a plastic slide, but you have a waterfall you jump off with your brothers and sisters. The humans have a small plastic house to crawl into, but you have the many hidden alcoves amongst the roots of the great spruce trees and boulders of the mountain. It is all very different from your world, but you don’t mind. They all seem to be having fun, and that’s what matters most.

The humans come by periodically to gently pet your head. You are uncertain why they do this, but you do take great pleasure in the comfort, so you allow it. The small ones have been coming around more often recently, so you have been getting more pets. However, this means that the larger ones appear more often too. The larger ones make you feel uncomfortable. But once they brush your fur, you begin to recognize their friendliness. Especially when they brush that one spot behind your ear. It’s a bit difficult for you to reach back there sometimes, so you greatly appreciate the kind gesture.

Once when it was raining and you were far away from home, one of the humans let you stay in their home with them for the night. You trusted them because you knew their face, but you were scared at first, confused by the strange sounds, colors, and structures. There was a strange device that glowed and showed moving pictures, and another that was bright, cold, and had lots of food. But then you were given a warm, fuzzy cloth by one of the humans. It was quite nice and quite soft, so you fell asleep in their home. The next morning, you left to return home, but not before leaving a small tulip as a gift to the humans. You take pride in your courteousness after all.

After some time watching the children play at the playground, they begin to leave. Upon noticing that the sun was setting, you decide to leave too. You trek back through the familiar paths of the forest. Not through the trails set by the humans, but rather, the ones set by you. The shapeless trail bordered by tiny brown mushrooms, only perceptible by those acquainted with their color and musty smell. And so as you lie at the entrance to your burrow, and as the warm orange-pink of the setting sun lulls you to sleep, you, the leafeon, begin to dream dreams of all the places you may go.

Thanks for reading my short one-shot! I've never written something small like this before, nor I have I ever written something in 2nd person before. Literally I made this at like 2 am in an hour on a whim XD. I just sorta kept writing and following my train of thought until I got something nice like this. Wanted to make something that just felt nice, comfortable, and happy to read and imagine, where you are put into the shoes (err paws) of a pokémon, and leafeon was one of the first pokémon that came to mind. Just something small that makes the reader feel happy :D

I also got a bunch of help editing from my friend love, so I'll be linking their page here: https://forums.thousandroads.net/index.php?members/love.263/

If you got anything you'd like to say, I'd love to hear it! Always makes me happy to hear comments/thoughts from others, positive or negative!

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Thanks for sharing this cute one shot. The view from the Leaf' perspective was interesting. The back and forth made a nice rhythm to the whole that reminded me of the near lyrical slant of certian books.

I'd say word wise theres one conflict in meaning. When you use " comfort" for how the 'mon perceives pats... And considering the context I would recommend "contact" instead. Since nothing bads happpening I think comfort is the wrong word....

Are you planing to make a series of eon one shots?

Oculus049

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! This was a oneshot I made on a whim, so didn't plan on making any more originally. But because I've been getting so much good reception from this fic, I'm strongly considering it now!
Thanks for sharing this cute one shot. The view from the Leaf' perspective was interesting. The back and forth made a nice rhythm to the whole that reminded me of the near lyrical slant of certian books.

I'd say word wise theres one conflict in meaning. When you use " comfort" for how the 'mon perceives pats... And considering the context I would recommend "contact" instead. Since nothing bads happpening I think comfort is the wrong word....

Are you planing to make a series of eon one shots?

kintsugi

golden scars | pfp by sun
the warmth of summer in the songs you write
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. silvally-grass
  2. lapras
  3. golurk
  4. booper-kintsugi
  5. meloetta-kint-muse
  6. meloetta-kint-dancer
  7. murkrow
  8. yveltal
Goodness, second-person xenofic with grass-type POV; what a treat. (I'm sort of cackling that love was your beta here! AU Poppy is such a sweetheart).

The prose here is really soft and lovely to read; I get the feel that being a leafeon is generally relaxing and devoid of a lot of the character drama that I tend to associate with pokemon POV in a human world. In particular I like the recurring theme of different but okay; the humans have these strange and foreign things like fridges and televisions and blankets, which are unfamiliar but aren't necessarily bad. It's fun to see the leafeon contextualize this in terms of what's familiar to them, with the slide/waterfall and house/alcove observations; it's a good way of demonstrating how things that are familiar to us may be foreign to others, and vice versa. I think one of the more whimsical and beautiful ways to spin the franchise is this idea that things can be different but friendly; we can respect these creatures for what makes them unique from us without necessarily having to own (or even to fully understand).

And so as you lie at the entrance to your burrow, and as the warm orange-pink of the setting sun lulls you to sleep, you, the leafeon, begin to dream dreams of all the places you may go.
This ending line felt particularly whimsical and specifically evoked Dr. Seuss for me--in general it's just a really cute line, and the repetition of "dream dreams" is nicely soothing.

Oculus049

Goodness, second-person xenofic with grass-type POV; what a treat. (I'm sort of cackling that love was your beta here! AU Poppy is such a sweetheart).

The prose here is really soft and lovely to read; I get the feel that being a leafeon is generally relaxing and devoid of a lot of the character drama that I tend to associate with pokemon POV in a human world. In particular I like the recurring theme of different but okay; the humans have these strange and foreign things like fridges and televisions and blankets, which are unfamiliar but aren't necessarily bad. It's fun to see the leafeon contextualize this in terms of what's familiar to them, with the slide/waterfall and house/alcove observations; it's a good way of demonstrating how things that are familiar to us may be foreign to others, and vice versa. I think one of the more whimsical and beautiful ways to spin the franchise is this idea that things can be different but friendly; we can respect these creatures for what makes them unique from us without necessarily having to own (or even to fully understand).

This ending line felt particularly whimsical and specifically evoked Dr. Seuss for me--in general it's just a really cute line, and the repetition of "dream dreams" is nicely soothing.
Oh my goodness I'm glad you liked it so much :D
And you basically hit it spot on with what I was trying to go for with this work! Wanted to have it from the perspective of an innocent leafeon with just happiness and cutesyness :3

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Two thoughts on specific quotes then I'll get to the review proper.
The familiar feeling of grass caressing your belly and scent of honey blossoms puts your mind at ease.
Since you started a new sentence here, I think this should be caresses, not caressing.
The next morning, you left to return home, but not before leaving a small tulip as a gift to the humans. You take pride in your courteousness after all.
It's like when your cat brings you something dead as a gift, but better.

This was a very charming, atmospheric piece. It had a very calming, homely feeling. the description was spot-on and really gave me that feeling of something.... earthy, for lack of a better term. Outside of the one correction I had above, my only real critique is that the transition into the last paragraph felt a little abrupt. But outside of that I don't have any complaints. This was a nice, fluffy piece to round off my evening and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for writing and sharing it!

Partners
  1. skiddo-steplively
  2. skiddo-px2
  3. skiddo-px3
  4. skiddo-iametrine
  5. skiddo-coolshades
  6. skiddo-rudolph
  7. skiddo-sleepytime
  8. snowskiddo
  9. skiddotina
  10. skiddengo
  11. skiddoyena
This is a lovely, fluffy little piece—much like a leafeon, such as myself, apparently—and it just plain felt pleasant to read; you've accomplished what you set out to do quite handily. The description is evocative in some places (love the breeze "trickling" over the fur, and being well-acquainted with the musty scents of all the little mushrooms) and gets out of the way where it needs to get out of the way, letting the leafeon's simple, relaxed worldview shine through.

It's so sweet that it "matters" to the leafeon that the humans are having fun, too; you have all these comparisons happening, things the leafeon finds strange, and yet all that's worth worrying about is that it's a nice day and everyone's enjoying themselves. And so polite, leaving a tulip as a gift after being shown kindness. Would that everyone could be as serene and amiable as this small, soft leaf friend!

I said it before, but this really is genuinely relaxing to read, on top of being downright adorable. It's simple, quiet, and thoughtful, but not so thoughtful as to be busy or intrusive. Very soft and very good! Thanks for sharing it!

Oculus049

Two thoughts on specific quotes then I'll get to the review proper.

Since you started a new sentence here, I think this should be caresses, not caressing.

It's like when your cat brings you something dead as a gift, but better.

This was a very charming, atmospheric piece. It had a very calming, homely feeling. the description was spot-on and really gave me that feeling of something.... earthy, for lack of a better term. Outside of the one correction I had above, my only real critique is that the transition into the last paragraph felt a little abrupt. But outside of that I don't have any complaints. This was a nice, fluffy piece to round off my evening and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for writing and sharing it!
Well thank you so much for commenting :D
It really makes my day reading comments like these. Will also take your critiques into mind. Wanna make as many people happy as possible with this work!

Oculus049

This is a lovely, fluffy little piece—much like a leafeon, such as myself, apparently—and it just plain felt pleasant to read; you've accomplished what you set out to do quite handily. The description is evocative in some places (love the breeze "trickling" over the fur, and being well-acquainted with the musty scents of all the little mushrooms) and gets out of the way where it needs to get out of the way, letting the leafeon's simple, relaxed worldview shine through.

It's so sweet that it "matters" to the leafeon that the humans are having fun, too; you have all these comparisons happening, things the leafeon finds strange, and yet all that's worth worrying about is that it's a nice day and everyone's enjoying themselves. And so polite, leaving a tulip as a gift after being shown kindness. Would that everyone could be as serene and amiable as this small, soft leaf friend!

I said it before, but this really is genuinely relaxing to read, on top of being downright adorable. It's simple, quiet, and thoughtful, but not so thoughtful as to be busy or intrusive. Very soft and very good! Thanks for sharing it!
Oh my goodness thank you so much for the comment :D
I wanted to make it so they had a simple world view, put the reader into a state where they don't feel like they need to worry much about anything. Just chill and fluffy vibes all over :3

Top Bottom