• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The Dragons' Maw

Day 1 - Steven and Gen have lunch
  • Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
    Partners
    1. aggron
    2. lairon
    The hike back to the main area of the island was uneventful, but by the time Steven and Aggron were back on flat ground, the island noontime sun was more noticeable without a cool mountain breeze.

"Perhaps we should go somewhere a bit shadier for lunch," Steven suggested as they walked into the villa center.

Aggron glanced around the area looking for options. He stopped with a snort and pointed at a nearby restaurant, The Dragon's Maw.

Steven quirked a brow. "An interesting choice," he said. "I'm curious what they serve."

He was hungry after mostly skipping dinner last night, and going for a hike with only a pastry and some coffee for breakfast.

Aggron was already out front peering at the menu when Steven caught sight of someone else wandering near the restaurant. A small Oshawott wearing a red cape.

"Oh, hello," he greeted them. "Are you here for lunch, too?"

Day 3 - The Talk
  • Hanafuda

Novice Ornithologist
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    Partners
    1. rowlet
    “So, this is the place you wanted to go eat, Jack?” Seb asked as he stepped into the restaurant, Zack on his shoulder. He stopped himself in awe as he looked at the decor of the place. The carvings on the walls, the torches, the statue with the Flygon… Wait, that Flygon seemed different. Gigamax? “Okay, this looks epic. Thanks, buddy. Now, what breakfast foods…?”

Zack hopped off Seb’s shoulder and approached the statue. “Oh, that is beautiful. Imagine what would happen if I fought that.” He flexed his wings with confidence. “Maybe if I could go Mega, it’d be the battle of the century.”

Day 4: Wes does some snoopin
  • HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. suicune
    2. umbreon
    3. mew
    4. lycanroc-wes
    5. leafeon-rui
    Wes paused as he stepped into the dimly lit diner, letting his eyes adjust before taking in the scenery. What an interesting place this was. It was like a cave—meant to seem like a dragon’s cave, specifically—but it was somehow quite cozy. Not many people were here, and it was relatively quiet and peaceful.

It was a welcome change of pace, that’s for sure.

Neo had been a bit mopey since leaving Olivia at the cove, but he perked up at the smell of various meats wafting around the place. Novo, too, sniffed at the air with keen interest.

“We’re not here for food just yet, guys,” Wes said. “Maybe soon, though, okay?”

That seemed acceptable enough for them. They both chirped agreeably.

Wes made his way to the Flygon statue. As he got closer, he realized something wasn’t quite right about it…he frowned when he reached it. This was a Flygon, but…*not* a Flygon. He saw the words “MEGA FLYGON” on a sign next to it, and couldn’t help but snort.

“So, Mega Flygon exists in this world?” he muttered under his breath. “What’s next, a Mega Wigglytuff?”

Actually, that sounded rather terrifying. He’d only seen Wigglytuff once, when watching a tournament at Phenac Colosseum, but he couldn’t forget those unnaturally wide eyes even if he’d wanted to. People said it was cute, but no. It was just creepy as hell. If people wanted cute, they should opt for an Eevee.

He shook the thoughts from his head. Focus. Lack of sleep was making it too easy for his mind to wander.

He flagged down a nearby waiter. “Hey, do you…happen to know about the legendary Pokémon that Xavier said were on this island? And where some of them might be…?” Gods, what a stupid question. If there were any legendary or mythical Pokémon on this island, he doubted it was just a matter of asking them nicely to appear…but then again, Manaphy had just popped up, hadn’t they?

“I, uh, just noticed that this place has a dragon theme, and I know a lot of legendaries are dragon-type, so…yeah.”

Oh, gods, he probably sounded like such a moron.

Novo, meanwhile, decided to get straight to the point. He brushed past Wes and headed to the back of the establishment, sniffing and scanning every nook and cranny in earnest. He hadn’t been so sure about her trainer, but…Mightyena was a good Pokémon. She was nice and smart and loyal. She had a good heart. She deserved only good things—pets and fun battles and lots of bacon. Not getting attacked. Not getting kidnapped.

Novo lashed his tail, anger simmering under his pelt. He would find answers. With Neo and Wes, they would leave no stone unturned.

He reached the back of the cave, a fair distance from the restaurant now, and yowled into the darkness. “Whoever lives here, I need your help!”

@Flyg0n

Day 6: Gen, Coleane, Blue and Charizard
  • Partners
    1. skiddo-steplively
    2. skiddo-px2
    3. skiddo-px3
    4. skiddo-iametrine
    5. skiddo-coolshades
    6. skiddo-rudolph
    7. skiddo-sleepytime
    8. snowskiddo
    9. skiddotina
    10. skiddengo
    11. skiddoyena
    So. Two sets of disappearances at once, one of them one of the cops and her manectric. Possibly the best part was how now they were having to call on freaking guests, most of them kids his age for crying out loud, to step up their security. Blue was half considering volunteering himself, assuming Charizard and Gyarados were up for it—at least it'd mean someone from the probably-hopefully-please-completely-trustworthy group would be keeping an eye on things, as opposed to just people from the group that was either suspicious or had been voted most likely to get got. Also it'd give him something to do that wasn't "sit in a restaurant booth doing nothing besides feeling approximately twenty-seven different kinds of helpless".

Charizard had seemed amenable to the idea when he'd floated it, at least. He'd been restless ever since his conversation with the hypno the other day; as best Blue could tell, he'd come away from that little chat with more questions than answers. (Then again, what else was new?) The dragon's tailflame was flickering erratically the way it did when he was troubled, guttering low for a period, sparking and flaring when something occurred to him, dwindling again when those new thoughts only served to loop everything back around to complicated. His folded wings twitched every now and again, itching to get back into the air, to go, to do, something, anything.

"We'll figure something out," Blue said, to himself as well as to Charizard. "Probably best we don't rush into things, though, right? Take advantage of some quiet time to weigh the options, come up with a plan of attack so we know we've got something concrete to start with—as concrete as shit ever gets on Terribad Island, anyway—then see how Gyarados feels about it and if he's got any ideas. Maybe even, I dunno..." He glanced at the pokégear he'd set on the table. "Maybe there's someone else from the Trousselin who'd be willing to pull some of the weight, too, so it's not just us alone. Like that lady with the fuckoff huge noivern, or the talking tropius. Somebody, I dunno." Not that he fancied making more "friends" after the way his last few introductions had gone, after the way nobody seemed inclined to shut up about someone who wasn't even fucking here. But he wasn't inclined to become the latest sad statistic, so needs must, he supposed.

"Just try and finish your lunch for now, yeah?" He gestured to the charizard-portion plate in front of his friend, most of which was still covered in food. "Better than trying to figure all this crap out on an empty stomach." Charizard snorted and pointed to Blue's own plate and the burger with all of two bites taken out of it; Blue rolled his eyes. "Right, right, okay, Daisy, point taken." He wasn't sure he was that hungry, either, truth be told, but he'd take his own advice and soldier through it. At least until another distraction or problem or something inevitably rolled on up, because that was just how things worked on Terribad Island.

D7: Laura and Gladion
  • Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    Partners
    1. sylveon
    2. absol-mega
    3. silvally-psychic
    4. ninetales-phantump
    5. cosmog
    6. gallade-phantump
    7. ceruledge-phantump
    Gladion and Hazel arrived to the restaurant a little early. A habit, it was better to be early than late, in his opinion.

Will Laura be bringing Malachai? And Sleet?” Hazel wondered to Gladion.

Gladion blinked. “Huh. I… didn’t think to ask. Figure she’ll ask them and either they’ll come or they won’t. We’ll see.”

I am looking forward to seeing them again…

He brushed a hand through her head feathers. “Yeah. Glad you have more friends here. I’m sure you’ll see them all soon. Not like it’s a huge island or anything.”

Day 8 - A Delicious Meal
  • IFBench

Rescue Team Member
    Partners
    1. chikorita-saltriv
    2. bench-gen
    3. charmander
    4. snivy
    5. treecko
    6. tropius
    7. arctozolt
    8. wartortle
    Gen stirred the ingredients in the mixing bowl. The eggs and flour were already mixed thoroughly, and now he was almost done adding the milk and water.

As the last bit of liquid was added in, Gen called out, "C-could someone hand me th-the butter and salt?"

"Here you go!" Coleane said, handing him the melted butter and salt with a vine. "It's so cool seeing how human food is made!"

"Th-thanks," Gen said, a tiny smile visible through his furnet as he added two tablespoons of butter, and a quater teaspoon of salt.

Fool's Gold
  • Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Partners
    1. flygon
    2. swampert
    3. ho-oh
    4. crobat
    5. orbeetle
    6. joltik
    7. salandit
    8. tyrantrum
    Unnoticeably, Orzo eyed the boy and his strange birds carefully... yet his smile and demeanor remained utterly affable, without any hint of deception. If there was something on his mind beyond 'those birds look weird' it was impossible to tell just what. Yet all the same, with the knowledge everyone now possesed, there was something unsettling about his green-eyed gaze... or perhaps it was just imagination.

And as the others put on their show, there was a discreet flash of light near the entrance of the restaurant. Celebi appeared, flanked by several trainers. Simultaneously, Latias and Latios appeared with Jade and Laura.

Meanwhile, Xavian and Clink watched the display, eyes shining with delight. "Marvelous!" Xavian declared. He seemed about to make another comment, when the smoke from the cloth actviated the alarms. Ringing filled the air, and coupled with heat from the attacks, the sprinklers activated.

Water sprayed over everything - tables, chairs, food and the people. And Orzo.

Xavian gave an exclamation of shock, shielding his head with one arm and Clink with the other. From under Xavian's arm, Clink's gaze jerked immediately to Orzo.

Murky water pooled on the seat beneath where he levitated. Like a movie unfolding in slow motion, the colors of Orzo's body began to bleed together. Gray oozed into pink, the two becoming a muddled mess, even as his whole body dripped dark water. Streaks began to appear on him.

Streaks of gold.

The water from the sprinklers slowly petered out, and a strange silence fell, punctuated only by the sounds of dripping. Orzo's body was muddled, but there was unmistakeably gold beneath the gray.

Xavian stared at his partner, his expression shifting from confusion and bewilderment to shock, then fear. Clink pressed himself unconsciously into Xavian's side.

Slowly, almost unnaturally, Orzo stretched out one hand, gazing idly at the gold that had been revealed almost the way one would regard an interesting painting. An odd smile spread across his marred face, yet there was no joy in it. Then Orzo's emerald eyes flickered, shifting abruptly from their usual green to scarlet. The air around it hummed with psychic energy and the cheerful expression on its face began to change...

“Well well well.” His mouth twisted into a smirk, like a predator about to strike. “You got Orzo!” He spoke, his voice dripping with blatantly fake cheer. He laughed, a cold, heartless sound. And then, the rest of its colors began to fall away. Flakes of gray and pink from his body, like rotten wallpaper, revealing what lay underneath - pure gold skin.

“Did Orzo surpriiise you?” He giggled to himself. Energy flared around Orzo and he brandished a ring. "How fun! You found out Orzo even sooner than I expected." He snickered again, covering his mouth with hands. He stopped laughing abruptly and swept his malice filled red eyes across the room.

"But not soon enough."

Chaos broke out.

Moving like a blur, he slid another ring into his other hand. His head jerked around and he fixed his gaze upon Wallace and Victora. "Orzo will have his prize," he hissed.

He lunged, and Victoria reacted. A blast of water smashed Orzo back. Orzo flipped a ring around and absorbed the attack, sending it back at Victoria. I struck cleanly, but she managed to shake it off.

Orzo vanished, then reappeared several yards away to take in the situation. Anger contorted his features. He threw out a barrage of dense, powerful shadow balls, smashing Celebi and the Lati's into a wall. Chef Flygon lept at Orzo, claws glowing with draconic energy, only to be struck to the floor by an absurdly strong psychic wave. Then Orzo made a lunge again, this towards Xavian.

With a tiny pop! And a flash of light, Clink appeared in front of Orzo.

KIII—EEEE!

A pink flash of light sliced through the air and knocked Orzo back.

“NO!” Orzo snarled. He dove into the ground, melting into shadow. Then he remerged, this time with a ring. It enlarged, until it was huge, almost as tall as the ceiling, the inside swirling and somewhere beyond its void like expanse, distant shapes could be seen - the other trainers!?! Before he could be stopped, he seized a stunned Xavian in psychic hold and hurled him through the ring. And then the ring began to drag at everyone, pulling them towards it, sucking them in slowly, even as some made every attempt to grab on or fight back -

"Xavian!" Clink shrieked, their cry filled with agony. They turned to the group and brandished a key. A glowing keyhole appeared midair. They pressed they key inside and turned, and a door appeared, expanding, growing larger.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 15.50.18.png

The door grew and grew, expanding into a series of circles that grew ever wider, pulling at all the trainers, dragging them in, away from Orzo's deadly ring. Even the strongest of pokemon and trainer would find themselves helpless against the pull.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 15.49.23.png

Orzo emerged from the shadows behind Klefki and struck, sending them crashing to the ground before snatching them in one hand and flinging them into a wall. Clink smacked into it hard and fell to the ground. Orzo reached for a ring and-

The air above Orzo twisted and a ball of pure ghostly energy slammed down, sending Orzo tumbling across the floor and knocking the ring aside. A moment later Jirachi descended, another shadow ball primed and eyes blazing with fury. “It’s you!” they cried. “I knew it!” Behind them were Violet and Hazel. They turned to Klefki. “Everyone, go! Into the door now!” Jirachi turned back to Orzo, priming another shadow ball.

A combined blast from Latios and Latias distintegrated Orzo's portal ring, and the pull of Klefki's portal became impossible to resist.

Meanwhile Orzo rose, looking unharmed, though even more furious. “S̶i̷l̵l̸y̴ ̷l̶i̶t̶t̶l̵e̸ ̵s̴t̶a̸r̵.̵.̶.̴ ̸y̵o̷u̸ ̷s̵h̴o̷u̶l̵d̴ ̵n̷o̷t̵ ̷h̴a̵v̶e̶ ̶i̸n̴t̸e̶r̴f̵e̴r̷e̶d̸.̵ ̴N̸o̷w̵ ̸I̵’̴m̶ ̵g̸o̴i̸n̸g̷ ̸t̴o̴ ̵e̵x̴t̵i̶n̴g̵u̸i̷s̴h̶ ̴y̵o̸u̴.̸”̷” The two lunged for each other, trading swift, vicious blows. The other mythical pokemon, somewhat recovered from the earlier strike, joined in the furious fight, even as it seemed Orzo was barely hurt by their blows, and each strike he landed on them hurt and it seemed little better than a desperate stall-

Clink shot a final, sorrowful look at Jirachi and the others, then limped through the air and into the portal, which snapped shut behind them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom