• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

The Dragons' Maw

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
This dine-in seating restaurant offers a fancier experience than the Hunger Switch Cafe, for those looking for it. Despite the unassuming outside, the inside is anything but. Medieval architechture blends with bold murals of dragon types and draconic pokemon decorate the walls, and a grandiose statue of a soaring Flygon whipping up a sandstorm dominates the center of the restaurant... except this Flygon looks different. Wait, is it a statue of a Mega Flygon? This universe is certainly interesting!

Faux torches line the walls, with surprisingly realistic looking dragon fire. Rather unusually, this restaurant features almost all booths, with pillows tucked into corners for those who want them. It’s an unusual mix of elements, but it seems to work well.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1 - Steven and Gen have lunch

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
The hike back to the main area of the island was uneventful, but by the time Steven and Aggron were back on flat ground, the island noontime sun was more noticeable without a cool mountain breeze.

"Perhaps we should go somewhere a bit shadier for lunch," Steven suggested as they walked into the villa center.

Aggron glanced around the area looking for options. He stopped with a snort and pointed at a nearby restaurant, The Dragon's Maw.

Steven quirked a brow. "An interesting choice," he said. "I'm curious what they serve."

He was hungry after mostly skipping dinner last night, and going for a hike with only a pastry and some coffee for breakfast.

Aggron was already out front peering at the menu when Steven caught sight of someone else wandering near the restaurant. A small Oshawott wearing a red cape.

"Oh, hello," he greeted them. "Are you here for lunch, too?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen was taking a few moments outside to take a deep breath as he waited for his food. He was overwhelmed, scared, and lonely, and maybe at least the wild Pokemon would provide some company. He was gripping tightly onto his reunion cape as he waddled away from the Swablu he was talking too, before spotting a human nearby. He breathed a sigh of relief, and waddled towards them.

"Um, h-hi," Gen said, speaking in human as he waved at Steven. "Yeah. I'm h-here for lunch."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Gen was taking a few moments outside to take a deep breath as he waited for his food. He was overwhelmed, scared, and lonely, and maybe at least the wild Pokemon would provide some company. He was gripping tightly onto his reunion cape as he waddled away from the Swablu he was talking too, before spotting a human nearby. He breathed a sigh of relief, and waddled towards them.

"Um, h-hi," Gen said, speaking in human as he waved at Steven. "Yeah. I'm h-here for lunch."
shocked.png
Whatever Steven was expecting as a response from the Oshawott, it certainly wasn't a perfectly clear and understandable sentence.

"Wait, did you just...? You can talk! I've never met a pokemon who could talk before, at least not out loud. Fascinating!"

Aggron, just as shocked as his trainer, nudged Steven with his shoulder and made a less-than-subtle huff through his nose.

hehe whoops.png
"Oh, you're right, I'm sorry. Where are my manners? Please, let's head inside. I'd love to hear more if you'd be inclined to join me for lunch. I'd say my treat, but I think it's all on the house for this festival."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Gen frowned a tiny bit as he was referred to as a talking Pokemon. Even though... he guessed that was probably the most recognizable thing about him now, that wasn't what he wanted to be known for. He wanted to be known as Gen the chef, Gen the guy from Goldenrod, Gen the friend, not Gen the talking Oshawott.

Nonetheless, he said, "Um, s-sure! That sounds g-good!" before waddling into the restaurant. The delicious smell helped relax him, and his grip on his reunion cape loosened.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
As if meeting a talking Oshawott wasn't enough surprise for one afternoon, Steven was met with another one as they stepped inside the restaurant. The entire place was decked out with enough medieval trappings that he thought he must have stepped through another one of those hoop portals. But no, it was just the restaurant taking their namesake up to a whole extra level.

As he followed along behind his new lunch companion on the way to a booth, he paused to look up at the centerpiece of the restaurant; clearly it's crowning jewel with how much care was put into it. He read the small placard at its base...

thinking face.png
"Hmm, that's odd. For how accurate and detailed everything else is here, this is a strange statue. Everyone knows Mega Flygon doesn't exist."

With a shrug, Steven walked past and joined Aggron and their Oshawott friend at the table.

He took a cursory glance at the menu, but set it down in favor of directing a question to the small water type. "Were you thinking of ordering anything in particular...?" And that's when Steven realized he really had a tendency to be rude on an empty stomach.

hehe whoops.png
"I'm sorry, I never even asked your name. Mine is Steven."

Last edited:

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Um, I already ordered a hamburger," Gen said, a smile starting to return to his face. He was excited to try the exotic Unovan cuisine again. "I was j-just waiting outside for it t-to be ready."

"Oh! Um, n-nice to meet you, Steven," the Oshawott said. "M-my name's Gen."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Um, I already ordered a hamburger," Gen said, a smile starting to return to his face. He was excited to try the exotic Unovan cuisine again. "I was j-just waiting outside for it t-to be ready."

"Oh! Um, n-nice to meet you, Steven," the Oshawott said. "M-my name's Gen."
straight ahead smile.png
"Gen, it's a pleasure to meet you. And if you don't mind, I think I'll order a hamburger, too. It's been a while since I've had one."

The waiter came by and Steven put in his order along with a veggie burger for Aggron. With the food taken care of, Steven sat forward in the booth seat and folded his hands together on the tabletop.

"I'm sorry, you've probably heard this a hundred times already, but I've never met someone quite like you before. I'd love to know how is it that you've come to be able to speak directly with humans? That is, if you don't mind my asking."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"It's...a l-long story. I'm...not sure you'd believe me if I told you it," Gen said, looking down as he fidgeted with his reunion cape. Surely Steven wouldn't believe that he'd been a human. It'd even took Coleane some time to believe it.

But then again...Wallace had believed him...

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"It's...a l-long story. I'm...not sure you'd believe me if I told you it," Gen said, looking down as he fidgeted with his reunion cape. Surely Steven wouldn't believe that he'd been a human. It'd even took Coleane some time to believe it.

But then again...Wallace had believed him...
eyes closed pensive.png
Steven leaned back in his seat, a contemplative look on his face. "You know, there was a time I was less likely to believe things I didn't think could be proved. My father's company has every imaginable technology at their disposal. Surely if there was a mystery out there in the world, we could get to the bottom of it with science and logic."

"But then the most remarkable things began to happen. Things that couldn't be explained. Legends came to life before my very eyes. The flow of time was reversed. Even now, just twenty four hours ago I met a version of my best friend that lives in some other version of reality."

He leaned back forward.
neutral straight ahead.png
"Considering all of this, at this point there are very few things I would consider entirely unbelievable."

straight ahead smile.png
"Besides, long stories are often the most interesting ones, and you my friend, are a very interesting person. I'd love to hear what you have to say."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
a very interesting person
A very interesting person

Interesting person

Person

Steven thought of him as a person, despite everything. Despite his body, despite his oddities, he was still thought of as a person.

It was enough to make his tail wag.

Maybe he could trust Steven.

"Um...I used t-to be human," Gen admitted. He really hoped Steven wouldn't react badly.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Um...I used t-to be human," Gen admitted. He really hoped Steven wouldn't react badly.
Steven blinked. Well, that certainly wasn't his first guess as to what Gen's story was going to be. Then again, he hadn't planned on meeting an alternate version of Wallace either. As strange as anything might seem, he knew reality sometimes was even stranger. And if Gen told him as much, who was he to refute it?

thinking face.png
"Remarkable, you are a human turned into a pokemon? That certainly would explain why speech is so natural to you. I recall seeing a paper from a researcher in Kanto who was able to transpose his mind inside a pokemon's body, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. At least, not from the way you phrased it."

Steven paused, deep in thought. Then his eyes widened.

"'Used to be human?' Does that mean you're permanently in this Oshawott form?"

worried.png
"My, things must be so different for you now."

Just then, the waiter arrived with Gen's hamburger, and Steven realized what he was saying. He hoped he hadn't ruined Gen's mood with his rambling.

hehe whoops.png
"Ah, I'm sorry. I'm bringing the conversation down. This is your story to tell, and not mine to interrupt. Please continue, but don't neglect your meal on my behalf. I'm happy to hear the rest of the story at your leisure. It really is fascinating to meet someone like you."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Remarkable, you are a human turned into a pokemon? That certainly would explain why speech is so natural to you. I recall seeing a paper from a researcher in Kanto who was able to transpose his mind inside a pokemon's body, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. At least, not from the way you phrased it."
"I've heard of him. Bill, right?" Gen said, fidgeting with his reunion cape. "I've...tried looking into him when I could. His s-situation was a lot different than mine. For one, his human b-body was still there, while I...have no idea where mine is, or...even if it still exists."
"'Used to be human?' Does that mean you're permanently in this Oshawott form?"
Gen's eyes widened, and he gripped tightly onto his reunion cape. "N-no! I'm not! At least..."

He looked down, beginning to tremble. "I r-really, really hope I'm not..."
"My, things must be so different for you now."
"Th-they are...I haven't seen my f-family in a while...I really, really miss them...and there's so much I can't do anymore, and th-the tail and fur and ears are so uncomfortable, and I h-have to waddle instead of walk..."
"Ah, I'm sorry. I'm bringing the conversation down. This is your story to tell, and not mine to interrupt. Please continue, but don't neglect your meal on my behalf. I'm happy to hear the rest of the story at your leisure. It really is fascinating to meet someone like you."
Gen began to nibble on his burger, his trembling lessening slightly. "I...I woke up l-like this one day, in a world with nothing b-but Pokemon, and no humans at all. I...I felt so, so alone..."

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
Gen began to nibble on his burger, his trembling lessening slightly. "I...I woke up l-like this one day, in a world with nothing b-but Pokemon, and no humans at all. I...I felt so, so alone..."
Steven listened intently to Gen's story. To think, one day he woke up and his entire life, his entire reality had changed. The fact that there even was an entire dimension with only pokemon and no humans at all was incredible to hear. And now Gen was in a different reality, back with humans but still in his pokemon form. He'd been through so much...

Steven sat quiet for a moment longer, letting Gen tuck back into his meal. It was clear how much he enjoyed the burger, and Steven wondered how much of it was nostalgia for his former life.

neutral straight ahead.png
"You're an incredibly brave person, Gen," he said, finally breaking the silence. "And incredibly special, given that you're here right now."

Aggron, who had been listening quietly to the conversation, rumbled in agreement.

Steven looked like he was about to say something else when the waiter arrived with his and Aggron's order. He glanced at the food, and then again at the little Oshawott sitting across from him, and something clicked...
"Th-they are...I haven't seen my f-family in a while...I really, really miss them...
straight ahead smile.png
"I wonder, are you originally from Unova?" he said, picking up his own burger. "Why don't you tell me about your family? You must be terribly homesick, but sharing fond memories might help. I'd love to hear about them."

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"You're an incredibly brave person, Gen," he said, finally breaking the silence. "And incredibly special, given that you're here right now."
A tiny smile appeared on the Oshawott's face, and his tail wagged. "Th-thank you. That...that m-means a lot to me."
"I wonder, are you originally from Unova?" he said, picking up his own burger. "Why don't you tell me about your family? You must be terribly homesick, but sharing fond memories might help. I'd love to hear about them."
"Um...n-no," Gen said, after taking another nibble out of his burger. "I'm...from Johto. Goldenrod City to b-be exact. I have a mom, a-and a dad, and a little brother. They're all really really n-nice. My little brother's name is Nisaqui, and he really likes action stuff. He wants to be a movie director someday! We also have a Flaafy as a family Pokemon. She was one of mom's Pokemon from when she used to be a trainer. She's really, really fluffy."

Last edited:

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"Um...n-no," Gen said, after taking another nibble out of his burger. "I'm...from Johto. Goldenrod City to b-be exact. I have a mom, a-and a dad, and a little brother. They're all really really n-nice. My little brother's name is Nisaqui, and he really likes action stuff. He wants to be a movie director someday! We also have a Flaafy as a family Pokemon. She was one of mom's Pokemon from when age used to be a trainer. She's really, really fluffy."
smile_eyes closed.png
"Your family sounds lovely, Gen," Steven said. A brief wistful look crossed his face but it was gone again just as quickly.

"And you may not be from Unova, but I think you'd enjoy a visit there someday. Your brother, too, since that's where Pokestar Studios is headquartered."

Aggron, who had remained quiet for most of the meal, glanced down at the Oshawott with a curious look on his face.
neutral face.png
"Can you understand me, too?" he asked.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"I...I did visit there once, wh-when I was ten. It...it was nice," Gen said. He took another nibble out of his burger, before looking at Aggron.

"Y-yeah, I can understand you," the Oshawott answered.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
"I...I did visit there once, wh-when I was ten. It...it was nice," Gen said. He took another nibble out of his burger, before looking at Aggron.

"Y-yeah, I can understand you," the Oshawott answered.
surprise.png
"Huh," said Aggron, "That's really cool. I bet you'd make a great translator."

He thought a moment longer, staring down at his empty plate. (His burger was gone in two bites)

"You said something about walking being hard in your new body, right? Want a ride to wherever you're going after this?"

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Maybe I would, but...I've always wanted t-to be a chef," Gen said, nibbling on his burger again.

"...yeah. I'd l-like that. Thanks," he said, smiling at Aggron.

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
thinking face.png
Steven was nearly finished with his burger, seemingly lost in thought.

"I wonder..." he began. "The invitation here said something about mythical pokemon appearing during this festival. Do you think one of them might be able to help you get your human form back?"

"I'm not as well read about pokemon mythos myself, but someone here might be. You could ask around and see if anyone has some ideas."

"Maybe I would, but...I've always wanted t-to be a chef," Gen said, nibbling on his burger again.
straight ahead smile.png
"That's a great choice. Perhaps we can ask our host if you can use one of the kitchens here as a treat. Human or pokemon shouldn't matter, anyone can be a great cook." Steven sat back, wiped his hands on his napkin, and deposited on his empty plate. "The chefs here have done an excellent job."

Aggron nodded, looking sadly down at his own empty plate. "It was good. But small."

"...yeah. I'd l-like that. Thanks," he said, smiling at Aggron.
neutral face.png
He eyed the Oshawott, trying to smile back in the most non-threatening way he could. (Metagross had told him to stop scaring children with his smile.)

"Let me know when you're all set. I think we'll head back to the dorms, happy to give you a lift. I used to give Cradily rides when she was small."

Top Bottom