• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Spun so Sugar Sweet (Mischief and Malice Oneshot)

aer

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/they
Hi! I wrote this oneshot for the Thousand Roads 2022 Mischief and Malice contest under the pseudonym "vexology". It won 1st place.

CW: gore, torture

Feedback preferences: Anything goes! I like all feedback of any kind, including praise, crit, and horrified or confused or indifferent reactions. (I do especially like linequotes, though. :3)

Look back into your memory for me: Cotton candy, strands of sugar pulled lighter than air, grains hot and thready from being pressed into heated metal machinery. Like fairytales settling into life as they whirled around a paper cone. Your eyes sparkled about as meaningfully as the excited babble that came out of your mouth as you accepted your cotton candy from the carnival vendor who told you, “Don’t eat it all at once!”

I know you treasured that memory, because that was how you met your starter pokemon. The gloops of milcery that lined up among the carnival stand shelves bounced in delight at your delight and that candy-coated connection turned into a desire that was real. “Two hundred tickets for your very own souvenir!” You pulled out strands and strands of tickets, earned from playing Voltorb Skee-Ball over and over again, used up all your quarters for the sake of that memory. Oh, how joyful those mindless little milcery were, as joyful as you’d been to taste the candy from their stall, as joyful as they would be to become yours.

You couldn’t have known what that meant at the time. You were only a child, after all, two years shy of becoming a trainer. That carnival, with the automated fairy floss maker, the blinking lights, the computerized interface for ticket distribution – yes, that was years after the era of giants, where droplets flowed into drinks, where nets and webs made up gods. Years before your time. Nowadays, it’s unlikely you’ll meet a pokemon that can say it knows kin at all. Nothing like the love between humans and pokemon.

When you left that fair with your new friend on your shoulder, you were two years shy of becoming a pokemon trainer, but you knew that was what you wanted to be. That dropped cone, that piece of saliva-soaked paper that joined syrup-stained popsicle sticks and the cinnamon-laced sugar on the churro wrappers, the mixed beads of dark color and dye from where the wetness of your mouth touched spun sugar – but there was no spark. No love drawn unseen. All that was was between you and Milcery now.

You always were such a hungry child.

As surely as it beats from your heart, as it thumps against ropes made of caramel twists and bars made of nougat candy, that memory is love.

I only want to show you the same.

Drops of cream and sugar puddle into pudding. The spoon that enters your mouth is filled with your favorite treats: Hot chocolate like the cold night on those routes and trails that humans call wilderness, Milcery enriching that comforting drink with drips and drabs of its own cream body. Rainbow crystal candy like the shimmering flavors and colors in Milcery as it matured towards evolution: matcha, lemon, mint, caramel, as it learned control of its own flavors. As much as it needed to do so, anyhow. Nowadays, milcery don’t need to do so much as concentrate flavors, no. They sell those sweets freshly wrapped in cellophane at every bakery, not too little to leave a shape unformed, not too much to create something that’d keep growing. Just enough to change shallow, translucent memories of sweetness into rich, full-fat whipped cream. Just right.

I only want something just right for you too, see? Shh. Don’t struggle. Take note of each sweet thing on your spoon. It’s true that most things can’t grow as large as they could nowadays, but, a fairy tale house in the woods made of gingerbread and sugar lets me break those rules just for you; you can grow as much as you’d like.

I remember when you first came to see. You were covering your face with one arm, protecting Milcery and your eyes against the dense tangle of trees and branches, when the deep woods suddenly opened up into a clearing. You saw a gingerbread house in the clearing among the dirt and leaves and natural things, and when you took your hand up from the candy cane fence posts, a fly landed on your sugar-coated hand. Its eyes were so wide and multifaceted, its legs dark and hairy, its little proboscis sinking into the sugar powdering on your skin. You couldn’t move.

But flies are so much more afraid of you than you are of them, dear one, even as they terrify you with their familiar desires. While you stood there paralyzed, Milcery on your shoulder wiggled just a little, and the fly fled for sweeter, weaker, more stationary delights.

There were so many, after all! The candy cane fences surrounded a grass jelly lawn, overlooked by windows made of frosted sugar glass and window-grilles made of chocolate coated pocky. Cupolas of strawberry-topped whipped cream hovered over graham cracker roofs. A pink-frosted door leaning half-open in the pirouline door frame revealed itself as having the distinctive dark-and-light layers of red velvet cake.

Perhaps you wondered how such a house could still be standing if there were flies and forest and hungry pokemon all around. I know Milcery certainly did! It had never seen anything as grand, as untouched as this before. No bugs in this food, no, not like poor Milcery had to deal with. And on the inside, there was certainly no need for more flies caught among sugary spider web strands.

But Milcery isn’t the one to blame. Milcery didn’t know at the time, either; that’s why it only mindlessly jumped and pulled at the idea of going off-route, of wandering deeper in the wilderness than would be convenient to travel between towns. And you were a good child, to go along for your friend’s sake. The secret here went beyond it just as much as it went beyond you.

For beyond the angel food stucco, below the biscotti supports, beneath the chocolate bar floor, there is a glowing heart of red and purple light that came from a time before humans. That power enriches, adds sugar to the dough, whips milk into cream. The inside of the house cradles that life-giving energy source, feeds it, makes like into like and allows for something greater.

I hear, nowadays, they make milcery in patisseries. I hear they churn sugar into the air, filling stainless steel rooms with sweet-smelling particulates. I hear the milcery are borne from air to sugar like desire into substance. No need for congealing rot, no lumps of sugar needed to be caked together, no seepage and mixed flavors needed to be purified into purpose, only the pure sweetness of desire. No wonder those memories of giant alcremie, that Milcery had told me it so looked forward to becoming, were so insipid. Towers of politely stacked layer cakes, orderly and organized and demarcated by circular frills, with an human-shaped alcremie as the decoration on top. That this was what alcremie looked like now – oh, how things have changed indeed. Oh, how it makes me want to weep.

But you – take no heed of my salted and bittered memories. Take the spoonful of sweet I want you to have instead: one more bite of fond memories. Sliced cherubi, bright crisp scarlet summer against the tongue and blending against the cream. Sweet curry, the time you mixed smooth, mild coconut milk into your shared dinner. A bar of pineapple cake that you split with Milcery the first time you won a gym battle, warmed in your pocket and crumbling and only a little sour. How your love flowed into each other!

And there – yes, you believe me now. Trainer, human, my best friend: I believe in you too. Remember how proud you were of me after I won that battle? Don’t worry. That pain, this fear, will turn into sweet sugary love soon. Remember how proudly you talked to me when we thought of what I would evolve into? That time is now, more than now. I am complete. This is your evolution, and I will be so, so proud of you.

Yes! I can see it now! The layer of sweat on your skin is starting to turn to glaze. The place where you bit through your tongue is bright cherubi-red syrup. Where caramel ropes had bound your wrists, the rope burns are turning into flakes of coconut. The nougat bars digging into your shins are now affixing to your marzipan bones. Oh, how your skin swells! Where it is crispest the breaks reveal marbled and rich devil food cake, and underneath there are tendons and threads of lollipop sticks and licorice attaching to the peanut brittle of my walls. We are closer than ever before. For this is how milcery truly evolve into alcremie: not by separation, but by droplets of cream and sugar and love pooling together and given purpose under a single thought. I can feel it now: your heart beating slower and slower, hot waves of syrup slowing as chambers and ventricles solidify into gelatin, your veins pushing themselves into my icing plaster, becoming a part of me. Like this, my best friend, my trainer – our friendship can only grow for an eternity more.

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
HI here for the post-contest line-by-line reaction...

Hmm "memory for me"... I wonder if the POV character's going to be a psychic type or just capable of mind reading perhaps...
interesting how the POV is speaking to the trainer to be, speaking of that previous time like that person's innocence, a long-lost thing a bit disjointed and surreal.

It's a nice lead-in, an ominous foreshadowing of then and now....

Initially, I thought the effects of our POV's villainy were going to be more sweeping, bigger than the trainer and its mon, when the scope of the story thins its focus and takes a fairytale vibe I realized it was going to be a personal tale between the two...

The image painted makes me think of a Hansel setup... I wonder who owns the home that the trainer and its milcery have wandered into and though the narrator strives for a cheery tone... (a sugar-coated tone if you will) considering the story it's taking its cues from I suspect this is going to go bad... It took a bit of reading, for me to figure out what was happening to the trainer, death by being held captive and being fed to death by your own mon... only to be assimilated into the base of a naturally made dynamax... or so the mon assumes.. It was a twist I wasn't expecting.

Thanks for sharing this tale and congrats on winning the contest.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Oh god this prose is gorgeous. I love it so much. Utterly delicious and this concept is just a delectable piece of horror for the world of Pokemon

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Well, this was deliciously unsettling (ba-dum tssh).

I thought you did a great job with rich sensory imagery here; the prose feels almost sticky with all the sweets you describe lovingly (while making them sinister). The prose veered into confusing at times, but it was evocative and effective for conveying this creepy narrative voice and building up as we slowly piece together what's going on.

Which, as best I can tell, is this: this boy set out with his Milcery, who innocently encouraged him to go offroad. There, they stumble upon a gingerbread house with everything around made of candy, Hansel and Gretel-style. Underneath that house is a Power Spot, which is powering a massive ancient Gigantamax Alcremie hive-mind (apparently the original, true sort of Gigantamax Alcremie), which Milcery, already close to evolution, evolved and joined with, and then lovingly entangled its trainer to transform him into candy and incorporate him and his memories into the hive-mind too. It's some pretty nightmarish stuff, and I enjoy that you did this with such an innocent-seeming Pokémon and made it all feel truly sickening - very real horror vibes, and very appropriate for a villain POV contest.

My main real critique would be the aforementioned sometimes-confusing prose. Examples:

You pulled out strands and strands of tickets, earned from playing Voltorb Skee-Ball over and over again, used up all your quarters for the sake of that memory.
This phrasing had me rereading to make sure I was getting it right; the boy didn't use up all the quarters for the sake of the memory when it wasn't a memory yet.

When you left that fair with your new friend on your shoulder, you were two years shy of becoming a pokemon trainer, but you knew that was what you wanted to be. That dropped cone, that piece of saliva-soaked paper that joined syrup-stained popsicle sticks and the cinnamon-laced sugar on the churro wrappers, the mixed beads of dark color and dye from where the wetness of your mouth touched spun sugar – but there was no spark. No love drawn unseen. All that was was between you and Milcery now.
The best I can make of why the second sentence is here is that the narrator thinks there should be some kind of "spark" or "love drawn unseen" with the kid's inanimate festival food, and is mad about him only feeling that with Milcery. That more or less makes sense after I've read to the end, since Gigantamax Alcremie talks about how Milcery and Alcremie are born from food and desires and intentions and love, but before I got there this was just puzzling and it was hard to tell if I was reading it right. I think it probably could be phrased in a way that makes it easier to correctly read what is meant by it even if we don't know why until later.

Nowadays, milcery don’t need to do so much as concentrate flavors, no. They sell those sweets freshly wrapped in cellophane at every bakery, not too little to leave a shape unformed, not too much to create something that’d keep growing. Just enough to change shallow, translucent memories of sweetness into rich, full-fat whipped cream. Just right.
Got confused here as well. Not too little to leave a shape unformed, so... enough to leave a shape unformed, i.e. you need a certain amount in order to leave a shape unformed, and if you have less than that the shape is always going to be formed? That doesn't sound right; I can't help but think you've got an extra negative in here. I guess too much to create something that'd keep growing could mean that if you had too much it wouldn't be able to keep growing because it doesn't have enough room when wrapped in the cellophane, but my instinctive reading would have suggested the other way around there as well.

All in all, though, this was some nicely effective and inventive horror that didn't overstay its welcome, and it's definitely going to stick with me. Well done.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, took me a while, but I’d seen in the results of the villainous PoV writing contest here onsite back in 2022 that this was the big winner and anecdotally managed to put a few readers off sweets for a while afterwards.

Though… 1500 words, huh? Not sure what on earth this is going to entail, just that from the summary and the word of mouth, that I’m sure it’s going to be a very
:copyka2~1:
experience.

So let’s just sink our teeth into things (har har) with my first review of 2023, shall we?

Look back into your memory for me: Cotton candy, strands of sugar pulled lighter than air, grains hot and thready from being pressed into heated metal machinery. Like fairytales settling into life as they whirled around a paper cone. Your eyes sparkled about as meaningfully as the excited babble that came out of your mouth as you accepted your cotton candy from the carnival vendor who told you, “Don’t eat it all at once!”

:copyka~1:

Wow, one paragraph in, and in light of the cws, I can already tell this is going to be an ultra-creepy read.

I know you treasured that memory, because that was how you met your starter pokemon. The gloops of milcery that lined up among the carnival stand shelves bounced in delight at your delight and that candy-coated connection turned into a desire that was real. “Two hundred tickets for your very own souvenir!” You pulled out strands and strands of tickets, earned from playing Voltorb Skee-Ball over and over again, used up all your quarters for the sake of that memory. Oh, how joyful those mindless little milcery were, as joyful as you’d been to taste the candy from their stall, as joyful as they would be to become yours.

… They’re going to eat this kid and turn him into candy, aren’t they? Since the child in the narration is spoken of in the past tense.

You couldn’t have known what that meant at the time. You were only a child, after all, two years shy of becoming a trainer. That carnival, with the automated fairy floss maker, the blinking lights, the computerized interface for ticket distribution – yes, that was years after the era of giants, where droplets flowed into drinks, where nets and webs made up gods. Years before your time. Nowadays, it’s unlikely you’ll meet a pokemon that can say it knows kin at all. Nothing like the love between humans and pokemon.

Not sure what the underlined is referring to, but I’m presuming that the narrator has been alive for a really, really long time.

… I can’t tell who’s going to eat who in this story at this rate.
:copyber:

As surely as it beats from your heart, as it thumps against ropes made of caramel twists and bars made of nougat candy, that memory is love.

I only want to show you the same.

So Milcery go full “witch from Hansel and Gretel” on their trainers sometimes, huh? Boy is that an unsettling thought.

Drops of cream and sugar puddle into pudding. The spoon that enters your mouth is filled with your favorite treats: Hot chocolate like the cold night on those routes and trails that humans call wilderness, Milcery enriching that comforting drink with drips and drabs of its own cream body. Rainbow crystal candy like the shimmering flavors and colors in Milcery as it matured towards evolution: matcha, lemon, mint, caramel, as it learned control of its own flavors.

As much as it needed to do so, anyhow. Nowadays, milcery don’t need to do so much as concentrate flavors, no. They sell those sweets freshly wrapped in cellophane at every bakery, not too little to leave a shape unformed, not too much to create something that’d keep growing. Just enough to change shallow, translucent memories of sweetness into rich, full-fat whipped cream. Just right.

I would recommend breaking this one big paragraph up into at least two, since it feels functionally that this is at least 2 or 3 ideas to work with. Though I’m kinda
:TailsEww:
-ing at the idea of eating chunks of Milcery as sweets.

I only want something just right for you too, see? Shh. Don’t struggle. Take note of each sweet thing on your spoon. It’s true that most things can’t grow as large as they could nowadays, but, a fairy tale house in the woods made of gingerbread and sugar lets me break those rules just for you; you can grow as much as you’d like.

Oh, so Milcery do go full ‘witch from Hansel and Gretel’ sometimes. That’s not creepy or unsettling at all.

I remember when you first came to see. You were covering your face with one arm, protecting Milcery and your eyes against the dense tangle of trees and branches, when the deep woods suddenly opened up into a clearing. You saw a gingerbread house in the clearing among the dirt and leaves and natural things, and when you took your hand up from the candy cane fence posts, a fly landed on your sugar-coated hand. Its eyes were so wide and multifaceted, its legs dark and hairy, its little proboscis sinking into the sugar powdering on your skin. You couldn’t move.

… Okay then, I’m a bit less sure about what’s going on. But I’ve read Hansel and Gretel, and I know that the correct response when coming across a gingerbread house in the woods is to promptly turn and leave. It’s not worth it.
But flies are so much more afraid of you than you are of them, dear one, even as they terrify you with their familiar desires. While you stood there paralyzed, Milcery on your shoulder wiggled just a little, and the fly fled for sweeter, weaker, more stationary delights.

There were so many, after all! The candy cane fences surrounded a grass jelly lawn, overlooked by windows made of frosted sugar glass and window-grilles made of chocolate coated pocky. Cupolas of strawberry-topped whipped cream hovered over graham cracker roofs. A pink-frosted door leaning half-open in the pirouline door frame revealed itself as having the distinctive dark-and-light layers of red velvet cake.

Oh, so this was when the protagonist’s fate was sealed, huh? Even if I have no idea how on earth this is even possible right now.

Perhaps you wondered how such a house could still be standing if there were flies and forest and hungry pokemon all around. I know Milcery certainly did! It had never seen anything as grand, as untouched as this before. No bugs in this food, no, not like poor Milcery had to deal with. And on the inside, there was certainly no need for more flies caught among sugary spider web strands.

… Wait, so then what on earth made this thing? .-.

But Milcery isn’t the one to blame. Milcery didn’t know at the time, either; that’s why it only mindlessly jumped and pulled at the idea of going off-route, of wandering deeper in the wilderness than would be convenient to travel between towns. And you were a good child, to go along for your friend’s sake. The secret here went beyond it just as much as it went beyond you.

Oh, so Milcery was also a victim here. Possibly. Maybe. I kinda get the feeling that things are going to swing wildly in the last few paragraphs.

For beyond the angel food stucco, below the biscotti supports, beneath the chocolate bar floor, there is a glowing heart of red and purple light that came from a time before humans. That power enriches, adds sugar to the dough, whips milk into cream. The inside of the house cradles that life-giving energy source, feeds it, makes like into like and allows for something greater.

… Wait, was this something created wholesale for the sake of this story? Since I pulled up Milcery and Alcremie’s Pokédex entries and don’t recognize this. I’m guessing that it’s supposed to be some sort of cosmic horror or whatnot.

I hear, nowadays, they make milcery in patisseries. I hear they churn sugar into the air, filling stainless steel rooms with sweet-smelling particulates. I hear the milcery are borne from air to sugar like desire into substance. No need for congealing rot, no lumps of sugar needed to be caked together, no seepage and mixed flavors needed to be purified into purpose, only the pure sweetness of desire.

No wonder those memories of giant alcremie, that Milcery had told me it so looked forward to becoming, were so insipid. Towers of politely stacked layer cakes, orderly and organized and demarcated by circular frills, with an human-shaped alcremie as the decoration on top. That this was what alcremie looked like now – oh, how things have changed indeed. Oh, how it makes me want to weep.

Oh, so this thing is some sort of being that makes new Milcery/Alcremie, huh? Or at least as they used to be made in “Ye Olden Times™”.

But you – take no heed of my salted and bittered memories. Take the spoonful of sweet I want you to have instead: one more bite of fond memories. Sliced cherubi, bright crisp scarlet summer against the tongue and blending against the cream. Sweet curry, the time you mixed smooth, mild coconut milk into your shared dinner. A bar of pineapple cake that you split with Milcery the first time you won a gym battle, warmed in your pocket and crumbling and only a little sour. How your love flowed into each other!

And now it’s this thing’s, isn’t it?

And there – yes, you believe me now. Trainer, human, my best friend: I believe in you too. Remember how proud you were of me after I won that battle? Don’t worry. That pain, this fear, will turn into sweet sugary love soon. Remember how proudly you talked to me when we thought of what I would evolve into? That time is now, more than now. I am complete. This is your evolution, and I will be so, so proud of you.

So Milcery/Alcremie really do go full ‘witch from Hansel and Gretel’ sometimes in this setting.

Yes! I can see it now! The layer of sweat on your skin is starting to turn to glaze. The place where you bit through your tongue is bright cherubi-red syrup. Where caramel ropes had bound your wrists, the rope burns are turning into flakes of coconut. The nougat bars digging into your shins are now affixing to your marzipan bones. Oh, how your skin swells! Where it is crispest the breaks reveal marbled and rich devil food cake, and underneath there are tendons and threads of lollipop sticks and licorice attaching to the peanut brittle of my walls. We are closer than ever before.

For this is how milcery truly evolve into alcremie: not by separation, but by droplets of cream and sugar and love pooling together and given purpose under a single thought. I can feel it now: your heart beating slower and slower, hot waves of syrup slowing as chambers and ventricles solidify into gelatin, your veins pushing themselves into my icing plaster, becoming a part of me. Like this, my best friend, my trainer – our friendship can only grow for an eternity more.

Oh, I see you’re playing up the “alchemy” part of “alcremie”’s name. Though that makes me wonder how on earth people even think it’s a good idea to train Milcery in this setting, since somebody would’ve figured all this out after untold years of their existence…

… Right?
:copyka2~1:

So it kinda dawned on me about halfway through reading this one-shot that I was basically reading a creepypasta. While it’s a little jarring in the sense of “wait, but things aren’t supposed to work like that”, I feel that under its own logic, it works pretty well as a story and doesn’t detract from the neat stuff it does.

The standout strength of this one-shot is its ability to sell atmosphere, since it carries this undertone of dread and horror throughout even while it has a very saccharine (har har) backdrop. It helps make the creepier moments of the one-shot all the more memorable, and while it wasn’t enough to put me off sweets personally, I can see how a few readers wound up losing their sweet teeth over it.

I’m especially impressed at your ability to communicate so much with so little words. Like most of the content warnings for this fic are actually details that are mentioned in passing, but it manages to come through in spite of indirect mentions and not a lot of wordcount and boy is it all the creepier for it. I’m honestly not sure if the work would’ve been as strong without taking that route. Dunno how long it took for you to get all the pieces to fall in place just right, but it’s really, really well done.

Outside of quibbles that ultimately boil down to “but my headcanon”, I ultimately don’t have a lot of complaints with this one-shot. Maybe the story as a whole could’ve been a bit longer and it’d have been nice to get to know a bit more about the Alcremie and its victim, but honestly, everything that happened here felt like it had a reason, and the story felt complete by the time things came to a close.

Once again, very well done with your story, since it’s a really unique horror one-shot that I don’t think I’ve ever seen or otherwise heard secondhand of another story touching on similar notes. Between that uniqueness and how well it was executed, I can see how this won gold in the writing contest earlier this year even when matched up against longer competitors.

Kudos on the good work @aer , and I’m hoping we’ll see more stories from you here in the future. ^^

Starlight Aurate

Ad Jesum per Mariam | pfp by kintsugi
Partners
  1. mightyena
  2. psyduck
(I do especially like linequotes, though. :3)
"Ask, and it will be given to you... For the one who asks, receives."

The gloops of milcery that lined up among the carnival stand shelves bounced in delight at your delight and that candy-coated connection turned into a desire that was real.
I feel like the use of "delight" twice in this sentence is meant to be part of the writing style (which, this early on, I'm getting a slightly whimsical fairy-tale vibe), but it was a bit difficult on my eyes since they were so close together, and I had to read this sentence two or three times to comprehend it.

This sentence being standalone, with how lighthearted and innocent things have been so far, makes it more menacing.

The spoon that enters your mouth is filled with your favorite treats: Hot chocolate like the cold night on those routes and trails that humans call wilderness,
After a colon, the first letter isn't supposed to be capitalized.

I only want something just right for you too, see? Shh. Don’t struggle.
:nyahorror:

Cupolas of strawberry-topped whipped cream hovered over graham cracker roofs.
I love architectural details like this. And I learned a new word! Cupola!

And on the inside, there was certainly no need for more flies caught among sugary spider web strands.
I'm guessing these "flies" aren't literal ones.

I can feel it now: your heart beating slower and slower, hot waves of syrup slowing as chambers and ventricles solidify into gelatin, your veins pushing themselves into my icing plaster, becoming a part of me. Like this, my best friend, my trainer – our friendship can only grow for an eternity more.
My only reaction for the end is GOOD LORD :eyes:

This was an enjoyably nightmarish read. I somewhat saw the direction it was going to take, but mainly because this was in the Villain contest, and the overly whimsical tone at the beginning made me think it was going to be sinister-disguised-as-sweet. I love the bait-and-switch nature of it, where it starts innocently and becomes dark!

From what I can tell, in this story, Alcremie didn't begin as sugary creatures made by humans, but they were their own force of nature and were eventually "domesticated," more or less. And this being--an original Alcremie, one NOT made by humans?--is sick and upset at seeing the road its own kind has gone down. So it lured the Milcremy into its Hansel and Gretel-styled house and ended up absorbing the human that the Milcremy belonged to. I get the idea that this "Alcremie" didn't like the human, and so absorbed it out of "love" but actually a burning hatred for humankind turning Milcremy and Alcremie into sugary patisserie creatures.

Which makes me wonder: what happened to the Milcremy?

I could see the original Alcremie decided to eat Milcremy, too, since it had been domesticated by people, and maybe thought of it as returning the Milcremy to its pre-domesticated state? Either way, poor Milcremy :(

The way you describe human flesh and blood turning into candy was HORRIFYING. In general, I'm easily squeamish when it comes to body horror, and you did a great job of that! Like I said before, I love the architectural imagery you had when describing the old Alcremie. And the whimsical tone combined with the overall sinister nature of this fic was the cherry on top (pun intended). I'm also impressed by your ability to tell a good story in so few words--it's short, but it's densely packed and says everything it needs to. The atmosphere in this is wonderfully done, and I can see why you won the contest! Good job!

Umbramatic

The Ghost Lord
Pronouns
Any
Partners
  1. reshiram
Hi! Here for Review Blitz! It's time for some SUGAR HORROR

I like this focus on the memories, the carnival and the milcery around the cotton candy machine, the slow sugary buildup into something more sinister. The prose is really good in general.

And then we start getting into Hansel And Gretel fair folk bullshit. Excellent. I love the bit with the fly. Mentioning real animals in Pokemon fic always runs the risk of being jarring but here with the description of the fly it fits in so well with the atmosphere.

Very interesting note that the modern Alcremie evolution process is artificial and much less fair folk-y horror movie shit than whatever's going on here. Almost certainly for the better.

Also like the implication that the gingerbread house is ELDRITCH and ANCHIENT and the Milcery's intentions are innocuous enough before its morbid instincts kick in.

Oh and apparently Milcery and Alcremie themselves are artificially made now, and this morbid fattening is from the before times, the dark origins...

For yes things are getting sugary. This trainer's whole body is getting carmelized because the Milcery is an eldritch black hole of sweets that must consume its brethren. Out of love teehee.

This is really nicely done as a horror oneshot. I think where it works weirdly enough is that it talkes a Pokemon you wouldn't expect creepy things about and then makes them super duper creepy. Which can and will run the risk of being Edgy but here given the implied fair folk lore of Fairy types works pretty well. So bravo. Thanks for sharing.

(Eat your vegetables kids)

Top Bottom