• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Prison Realm

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Steven's words slowly sunk into Irene. Your decision that day set in motion a chain of events that has brought us here.

Here? Where... where was... every time she tried to think about that, she lost her grasp on her thoughts, like trying to remember an old dream. Her thoughts circled back around to Steven's other words. Maybe we're here to tell you your sacrifice wasn't in vain. Maybe it's to tell you the battle's not over yet.

what if I told you the last thing you did just might have solved everything?

She blinked, unable to let go of the thought, even if some part of her wanted to dismiss it on instinct. Was it true? Had she actually made a difference somehow? Had she... had she done something right for once?

His final words stung, stung in a way somehow worse than him telling her off.

I was wrong about you, about all of it. I'm not sure an apology can undo what was said.

A raging turmoil of emotions fought for dominance inside her. Frustration, at Steven waiting so long to apologize, shame in knowing he was right, and mostly anger, anger at herself, and at everything she'd done to get here. And beneath all that, relief. A weight off her shoulders. If Steven freakin Stone was saying it, that meant it had to be true, at least a little bit. There was a chance she could be better.

When she spoke again, she spoke slowly, choosing her words carefully. "Thank you for that. It means a lot... a lot to hear that from you. You were right too though. What I did was wrong, and selfish. You were right to be angry."

A half grin formed on her face. "Still though, I'll gladly keep proving you wrong. I haven't given up yet. If I can get a shot at that creep of a Hoopa, I'll put him down for good." After a moment's more contemplation, she hesitantly took his hand and stood up. "Maybe we can try to start over. It won't be perfect, but it can be better."

~

As she spoke her last words, the sky began to turn, first soft greys and blues, then purple and oranges to yellow to a silvery light, that shone upon the park. The figures faded to mist and the vision began to dissolve into warm light, until all that remained was Steven and Aggron and Irene, now flanked by Roserade and Ampharos. "Thank you, Steven, for believing in me."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Odette found herself perplexed by the scene before her. Getting ahold of a mega stone, let alone learning how to use it correctly was no small feat in itself, and to just...? Brush it off like it was nothing more than taking down a preschool-grade trainer? What even was this? A parental figure? Or mentor of sorts?

"̸S̶h̶e̴e̶s̴h̷,̸ ̴t̸o̶u̸g̸h̷ ̵c̸r̷o̵w̸d̴.̷ ̷B̵i̸t̴c̷h̶ ̸a̸s̶s̸,̶"̷ Odile said under her breath.

If this was any indication of how Noro lived in real life, Odette supposed, to some degree, she could understand why he held himself the way he did. Having such major accomplishments undermined like that would probably leave anybody feeling like they needed to put up a front. In fact, she knew somebody who used to be in an eerily similar situation.

Well. She figured it was a good thing they'd battled and parted amicably in spite of everything. Maybe she could get through to him with that foundation.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she tried her hardest to convey to Hoopa what she wanted to see. What she wanted Noro to see.

Training arena. Leading to a battle field.

When she opened her eyes, she was impressed to find the scenery had indeed changed. No less nondescript than the previous scene, but it got the point across. Practice dummies, a floor to support all terrain and move types, just open enough for bigger 'mon to move freely. Clearly what she was looking for.

Noro seemed to accept the change of scenery to a training grounds without much question. If anything, he was much more interested in it, a noticeable spark of excitement in his eyes to take in his new surroundings.

"We have to keep working harder," Alakazam said. "We're nowhere near where we could be."

Noro nodded in affirmation.

When she spotted Noro and Alakazam again, she gave them ample time to fall in to the new scenery before announcing her presence, but not before holding her hand out to Odile and motioning for her to stay back.

"Small world," she called from afar, keeping her distance as to ensure she didn't startle them. She waited until it was clear she meant no harm before approaching, arms crossed across her chest nonchalantly. "Wasn't expecting to find you at a Championship match here. I'd ask if you were nervous, but you look as stiff as a board. Both of you."

Her words came out with a sarcastic edge, but she cut her tone with an assuring smirk. "Loosen up. I've seen you battle, so take it from me. This'll be a Sunday stroll for you two. And that's not a compliment I like to hand out in troves."

Pursing her lips, she eyed the two of them a little closer. She was silent just long enough to seem inquisitive. "Though, a word of advice..."

Without warning, she lightly poked Noro in the center of his chest.

"Make sure you're doing this for you. And your partner. It's your collective work, and your collective strength that got your asses here. There is not a soul in this multiverse who can take that from you. Ever."

A bell chimed overhead, and an automated voice spoke. "Challenger, please make your way to the field."

Odette sighed and shoved her hands into her pockets. "That's your cue," she said. She raised one hand to her forehead and saluted the duo as she turned on her heels and trudged back in the direction she came.

"Break a leg."
Noro quirked an eyebrow and shared a curious look with Alakazam. Definitely not who they expected to see... here? Wherever this was... Not an unpleasant surprise though. They were respectable battlers, extremely so. He narrowed his eyes as she approached. "There's no such thing as a Sunday stroll," he muttered. There were only winners, and losers. Losers weren't worth it.

"Tch. Do this for me?" he shook his head. "It doesn't matter what I do for me," he said non-chalantly. "Winning here is just the first step." Noro gave a half wave goodbye as she left. Once she was far enough to be likely out of earshot, he added, "thanks."

The actual battle field was a tad more distinct, if only made so by the silhouettes of what was supposed to be a crowd in the stands surrounding the space. Cheering could be heard, but the dreamscape made it sound distant. Faded. The sentiment was there though.

Once more, the automated voice crackled to life. "Challengers, are you set to proceed?"

When the voice got the answer it needed, it continued. "Presenting your opponent for your Champion match!"

At the opposite end of the arena, a large door slid up, and Odette stepped out onto the field with Odile in tow. The two confidently strolled out onto the field, where they met Noro and Alakazam.

"Small world," Odette greeted with an air of jest over the dreamscape cheers, holding her hand out to shake. "I suppose I should have mentioned this was going to be a rematch."

"̸̠͖̠̞̓̒R̷̡̭̘̽̾͂͝Ȩ̷̈́̎̃-̵̱̦̹̭͗͊͊͊M̸̧͓̰̗̓̇͠Ą̶͇̺͛̓T̷̼̱̞̒C̸̢̜͌Ḥ̴̨͎̬͛͊͝,̶͔̀̉ ̵̰͙̞́͊R̴̡̛͍̈͛̇ͅE̶̜͠-̴̫̾̿̕͝M̵̖̩͈͊̈͂A̴̾̀͝ͅT̸͒̈͒́͜C̵̨͖͆̉̎͠H̵̝̻̗̉͋̄,̵͇̒͗ ̴̜̦̱̇̀̌͘ͅR̶̨͔̗̲̿̂̀̚Ẽ̶͖̰̟͈̊͂̅-̵̨̍̾͂M̴̙̝̪͐̈́͐̂͜A̷̧̳̳̋̇͊T̵͇̫͔̅̍͋͂C̵͙͔͇̾̽H̴̨̢͐!̶̦͗"̶̯̜͇͕̂̀̽͘ Odile chanted, only silenced by the glare she got from Odette.

Huffing, Odette regarded Noro again. "Nonetheless, I meant what I said. That hasn't changed."

She lowered her voice, the seriousness taking her words in a tight grip.

"And remember my advice."

She and Odile turned and made way back toward their side of the field.

"You're my opponent?"

Alakazam's eyes crinkled in amusement. 'Of course she would be. I personally rather look forward to this, even if our last match was... challenging.'

With a grim smile mixed with reluctant respect, he shook her hand.

"Challengers! Champion! Are you ready?"

Odette and Odile exchanged looks, before nodding once toward each other. Odette raised her palm, and Odile's hand morphed into one of those branchlike blades.

"Begin!"

With a quick slash to Odette's skin, blood began to run down her hand and over her wrist as it glowed in reaction to Odile's presence. Odile expanded into her eldritch form, roaring with a newfound fervor as the excitement of battle overtook her.

"̶͍̘͉̫͗̓F̸̞̼̺̪͒̈́̆͝Į̵̣͉̬̏͊̆͝G̶̹̟̳͐̐̂͝H̸̰̱͎̙͊T̶̜̤̫͕̽̉͌ ̴̤͎̈T̸̙̕Ḣ̴̼̟͂͒͠E̴͓͆ ̶̙̂̈́͑Ǵ̵͍͒Ǒ̷̰D̸̼͔́ ̸̪̊W̴̨̺̮̾̑̊I̸͔͎̮͋̔̔T̵̘̓̒H̶̳̜̐̑͝ ̷̢̟̕Å̸̮̌̊͘L̷̨̖̲̺͝L̵̡̝͍̈́́̚͝ ̸̢͙͍̗͛̄͘Y̸̦͓̰̹̿̓Ǒ̵̡͓̆̈Ụ̷̂ ̷̧̮̞̎́͆̕G̷̣̈O̷͉͆̀̕T̶͈͆̂!̴̟̜͛"̶̻̩͙́̎

Noro steeled his mind. We win this time. That's all that matters.

Alakazam crossed his spoons. We win.

~

Rainbow light faded as Alakazam took on his Mega evolved form. There could be no holding back now, no testing or learning patterns. That freakish tumbleweed was too strong. But if he could outwit it... maybe they'd have a chance. Letting out a breath, he emptied his mind and allowed his link with Alakazam to flourish. A risk, but a worthwhile one. Together they would be enough.

"Alakazam, Trick Room!" A shimmering cube formed around the arena, and a faint glow formed around Alakazam before fading. He dodged a retaliatory attack from Odile, countering with what appeared to be hasty and wildly aimed series of Psyshocks. And exactly as he hoped, Odile's focus shifted to the attack - not by much, but just enough. "Now!" Alakazam warped, reappearing right next to Odile, Toxic poison bubbling in his psychic hold, which he drenched her with before rapidly teleporting away again.

A string of swears came from the legendary, which he ignored. For a brief moment, he allowed himself to smile. The feeling soon vanished however. Odile's next string of attack were ruthless, calculated. Exactly what he expected from a champion and a legend. Yet even prepared for it, he found himself always on his back foot, always trying to gain lost ground. For every strike he landed, Odile would get in two. And even with Trick Room giving them the edge in speed, it never felt like enough. The hits were too hard, Odile too strong still and Alakazam's attacks never felt like they did enough.

He forced the doubt down, focusing everything on the battle. Calculated. Waste nothing. Anticipate, distract, attack. Odile was badly poisoned, they could still do this - another storm of black fire rained down on Alakazam, barely dodged. The psychic type shook off a few dark embers, glaring at Odile, even as he panted.

Noro could feel Alakazam's exhaustion through his link.

It's not over until it's over, Alakazam said sternly.

"Ice Punch!"

Alakazam flitted across the field using a series of short-range teleports they'd been working on, ducking and weaving around her hulking form, peppering her with attacks. Noro kept his focus on Odile's body, watching every tiny movement, giving Alakazam every heads up he could, until he could hardly keep up with their movements.

And then it happened. By the time Noro saw the telltale twitch of motion from the prickly legendary, it was too late. Her tail snaked out, unbalancing Noro. And in a hail of ghostly fire, it was over. Alakazam's form reverted to his usual one, and he collapsed, spent.

Hanging his head, Noro recalled him, murmuring a thanks to the pokeball. Steeling his gaze, he walked stiffly across the field, managing an awakward congratulations to Odette, all the while his words before the battle played in his head over and over.

"We win this time." Except he hadn't. He would never make anything of himself this way if this was the best performance he could muster.

"Good battle. Maybe next time we'll get you," he said to Odette, masking his disappointment. Then he turned away, ready to leave.

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
"Alakazam, Trick Room!" A shimmering cube formed around the arena, and a faint glow formed around Alakazam before fading. He dodged a retaliatory attack from Odile, countering with what appeared to be hasty and wildly aimed series of Psyshocks. And exactly as he hoped, Odile's focus shifted to the attack - not by much, but just enough. "Now!" Alakazam warped, reappearing right next to Odile, Toxic poison bubbling in his psychic hold, which he drenched her with before rapidly teleporting away again.
Approval glinted off Odette's eyes as she watched Alakazam move, and she nearly lost her breathing pattern when the Toxic landed. Not out of fear, but out of admiration. They were learning.

"̴̮͉̮̟̃̊ͅȲ̷̢̠͂͝O̷̝̣̺͂͝Ư̵̥̱͔͚̔̏͆͗ ̶̧̣̪̬͛̓͐̊̇ͅB̷̠̫̱̹̪̈́I̵̫̽̀͆T̸̖̳͋͐̈́̇C̸̣̉H̷͚̤̗̩̑͋͘ ̶͕̜͙̯̫́A̶͓̭̽͐̀̅̚S̷̥̰͖̏̾̓̌́ͅS̷̙̏́̕̚,̴̨̮̪̑̌̈́̑͗"̷̡͗̆ Odile shrieked as her branches flared frantically, trying to shake the poison off. No use, though. What's done was done. She didn't have time to be amused because she was fucking poisoned now.

A string of swears came from the legendary, which he ignored. For a brief moment, he allowed himself to smile. The feeling soon vanished however. Odile's next string of attack were ruthless, calculated. Exactly what he expected from a champion and a legend. Yet even prepared for it, he found himself always on his back foot, always trying to gain lost ground. For every strike he landed, Odile would get in two. And even with Trick Room giving them the edge in speed, it never felt like enough. The hits were too hard, Odile too strong still and Alakazam's attacks never felt like they did enough.

He forced the doubt down, focusing everything on the battle. Calculated. Waste nothing. Anticipate, distract, attack. Odile was badly poisoned, they could still do this - another storm of black fire rained down on Alakazam, barely dodged. The psychic type shook off a few dark embers, glaring at Odile, even as he panted.
And of course, she was pissed about that.

She let her wrath. While the intention here was to snap Noro out of whatever stupid trance he was in, there was no fucking way she was going to let that slide, dreamscape or not. Teaching moment or not. No need to be easy on them; they knew what they were doing. And she didn't take lightly to fucking POISON.

Odette, on the other hand, kept her eyes on her opponents. Surely they had their link going again, so no words were exchanged. However, she could see the difference in their movements. Their attacks. Even though Odile still held the upper hand, Alakazam still did what he could. Attacked through whatever windows of opportunity presented themselves, took advantage of whatever weaknesses he could get out of Odile. It was a such a stark difference from their first battle, she felt herself start to smirk.

"Ice Punch!"

Alakazam flitted across the field using a series of short-range teleports they'd been working on, ducking and weaving around her hulking form, peppering her with attacks. Noro kept his focus on Odile's body, watching every tiny movement, giving Alakazam every heads up he could, until he could hardly keep up with their movements.
"̴̡͖͕̪̀̋̾Ő̴̧̀̑̽h̷̺̣͐́̚,̸̭̉̀̉́ ̸̨̬̰̤͠F̵͙̙̻̭́Ǔ̶̱̙͌͐̈́C̵̨̡̬̺̬̈́́̀̾͆K̷͚̳͒̃͒̍͝,̵̨̮̯̰̏̈́̎"̸̢̲̾͒̈́͐

Gritting her fangs, Odile danced around with Alakazam, hissing through the impact, feeling the icy burn of the punches against her branches. They were exploiting the fuck out of her weaknesses here. It was kind of cool that they were fucking with her like this, but at the same time--no. It hurt. And it just flared her anger even more.

No easygoing here; she was going to continue fighting like she normally would. So, she did.
And then it happened. By the time Noro saw the telltale twitch of motion from the prickly legendary, it was too late. Her tail snaked out, unbalancing Noro. And in a hail of ghostly fire, it was over. Alakazam's form reverted to his usual one, and he collapsed, spent.

Hanging his head, Noro recalled him, murmuring a thanks to the pokeball. Steeling his gaze, he walked stiffly across the field, managing an awakward congratulations to Odette, all the while his words before the battle played in his head over and over.
With a final flare of malicious flame, the battle was decided. Again. Psychic types were still psychic types.

"̸̢̥̭̱̏͌̏̚͜T̴̡̛̩͖̪̾͌̀͝H̸͓͚͋A̷͕͑͊T̷̛̗̥̥̻́́̓̚.̴̮̔̏̌̊͗ ̷̱̽I̸̛̙̺̖̩͍̿́̽̊S̶̖͔͐̀ͅ.̶̢̡̫͚̗̌́͛̉̈́ ̵̲̤͙̩͚́͊W̸̝͇̠̪̊̔H̷͇̖̝̫͆A̵̛̮͇̥̹͓T̴̡̤̫̼̱͌͆͗.̷͓̑̿͠ ̶̘̘͎̆̈̒͠Ȋ̸͎̀̀̿̚'̴͍̻͉̖̇̐͂͗̈́M̵̱̣̥̘͑̓͑͌̕ͅ.̴̧̨̛̞̌̈́̒̑ ̷͚̬͇́͆̏͒͠T̶͍̭̞̭̏͑̊̀̚A̷̧̯̜̯̤͛̀L̵̢͙̣̑͠K̸̨̤̦̑̿͝I̸̛̲̮̳͉N̶̢͇̰̯͙̍̏̑̈́'̷̧̬̖̲͋̑̋͂͋.̵͈͈̫̣̲̓͒̀͠ ̴̢͕̭̎͛̃͝ͅÁ̴̝̍̈B̴͚̪̠̠̮̓̒̓̎͘O̸͔̭̓̀̚Ũ̵̟̈́̈̚͠U̸̥̠̰̻͋́̂̎U̸̹̇͋̏̔͠Ử̵̞͓̝̪Ǘ̷̼͕̻̻̮T̸̠̈̽͠T̶̹̽̈́Ṱ̵̩̣͎́̾́T̵̜̀̇̊̾͝T̶̖̝̯̏̓̐̉̐,̵̖͎͗̓̋͑̀͜"̸̻̓ she roared. She tried to do somersaults as she soared upward, but found that the lingering effects from her poison and those frozen punches left her feeling winded. With a groan, she reverted back to her human form and fell into a dramatic heap at Odette's feet.

"̴I̴ ̷l̶i̶e̷d̸,̷"̴ ̸she coughed. "̸T̵h̶i̸s̶ ̸i̶s̷ ̴n̵o̷t̸ ̵w̸h̶a̶t̶ ̴I̴'̶m̴ ̴t̸a̸l̴k̷i̸n̵'̶ ̶a̶b̷o̸u̶t̵.̷"̷

"Good battle. Maybe next time we'll get you," he said to Odette, masking his disappointment. Then he turned away, ready to leave.
Odette kept her narrowed eyes on her hyperactive eldritch terror just before Noro approached. Blinking out of her glare, she regarded Noro and Alakazam with a much more welcoming look. The teen was doing what he could to hide his dismay, but she could see it in his eyes. She supposed she couldn't blame him; even she hated losing. But there was so much more to unpack there.

"Hang on," she snapped as he turned away. She grabbed him by his sleeve and yanked him around to face her, furrowing her brow quizzically. "What are you going on about?"

Odile groaned on the floor next to her as she chugged a potion, prompting Odette to shoot her another look.

"What's different here?" she asked Noro. She looked back at him, lips pursed. "Remember our battle in the gym? How she was up and running pretty quickly? And now you've got her down in a pained heap."

"̴I̵'̸m̶ ̷o̶k̶a̴y̸,̵ ̴t̴h̶a̵n̷k̶s̶ ̸f̷o̶r̶ ̷a̷s̸k̶i̴n̵g̴ ̴a̷s̸s̶h̷o̶l̶e̶,̷"̷ Odile huffed.

Odette rolled her eyes and continued. "You might not have won, but you clearly got stronger. You were wailing on her, and it was showing," she explained.

She wasn't sure if her point was getting across and willed herself to keep going. "You know training isn't all black and white, right? Winning doesn't mean success, just like losing doesn't mean failure. In our last battle, you could barely get around her, and this time? You exploited her weaknesses and did it with confidence. You took the last battle, learned from it, and grew."

With a scoff, she gestured toward him. "And you're what, sixteen? Seventeen? I could barely get my chandelure partner to stop crying over spilled Cheerios when I was that age, and you're successfully mega-evolving and fighting legendaries."

A smirk. "When you get to be twenty-five, you're going to be insane. But it's little shit like this that'll get you there. So yeah, you might have lost the 'battle,' but you still won. The God of Wrath is groaning like a pansy bitch at your feet. That means you got better. That's a win."

Holding her hand out to shake once more, her smile turned warm. "Good fucking job, guys."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Odette rolled her eyes and continued. "You might not have won, but you clearly got stronger. You were wailing on her, and it was showing," she explained.

She wasn't sure if her point was getting across and willed herself to keep going. "You know training isn't all black and white, right? Winning doesn't mean success, just like losing doesn't mean failure. In our last battle, you could barely get around her, and this time? You exploited her weaknesses and did it with confidence. You took the last battle, learned from it, and grew."

With a scoff, she gestured toward him. "And you're what, sixteen? Seventeen? I could barely get my chandelure partner to stop crying over spilled Cheerios when I was that age, and you're successfully mega-evolving and fighting legendaries."

A smirk. "When you get to be twenty-five, you're going to be insane. But it's little shit like this that'll get you there. So yeah, you might have lost the 'battle,' but you still won. The God of Wrath is groaning like a pansy bitch at your feet. That means you got better. That's a win."

Holding her hand out to shake once more, her smile turned warm. "Good fucking job, guys."

Alakazam emerged from his ball as Noro turned around. Noro listened quietly as she spoke.

Losing doesn't mean failure.

Except it did. It meant being second rate. Nobody. Nothing. Winning meant being recognized, being acknowledged. Making others proud.

Alakazam's gaze slid over to Noro as she continued, but he remained quiet. Noro eyed Odette's outstretched hand, not moving. He wanted to say more. Explain, make her understand. How could a champion like her know how it felt to be second, to be lesser? That this wasn't enough, losing was losing, winning was winning. That was all there was. She was wrong about this.

Noro... maybe she has a point.

Noro shot Alakazam a quizzical look. I fail to see how. Facts are facts. Pride is won through victory.

But Odette is a Champion. Even though she is from her own universe, she's still a Champion. She of all would understand what it takes to reach such a place. And she is right, we are stronger. She is not one for pretty lies.

Noro spoke finally. "Thank you," he said after a moment. "Alakazam has been working hard." Alakazam nudged him subtly with his foot. "We both have," Noro added.

He paused, and the silence hung unsteadily in the air. Alakazam broke it first, broadcasting his words telepathically. "We are grateful to know we have improved. And perhaps there is wisdom to your words. Our methods took us this far, but I am beginning to realize taking it to the next level will require something new."

As Alakazam spoke, the crowd in the stadium began to fade, until the stands remained empty.

Noro finally reached out, grasping Odette's hand and shaking it firmly. "I'm not sure I can just accept what you said about fighting for us, and losing isn't failure but..." he took a deep breath. "But I am willing to try something different."

The stadium melted away into silver light and everything faded.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Nate snorted. "It's kinda fucking difficult making friends if some asshole shows up and kidnaps you like less than two days after you show up somewhere."

Mightyena gave him a pointed look. Well, it was true.

Nate sighed. Well, never mind the shitty parents. They'd be here all day.

"You did make friends, though, didn't you?" Mightyena said. "We're your friends." Another significant look for Nate. Yeah, yeah, he got it.

"That's right," he said. "We've been looking for you for ages now."

"Anybody who gives me bacon is an important friend to me," Mightyena said, giving the side of Reena's face a lick to punctuate the joke. She nosed the blank book closer to Reena. "Why don't you write down what you want to do on your vacation? Whatever you think would be fun. Then we can go do it together."

Reena’s crying petered out. She sniffled a few times, then finally looked up, seemingly properly noticing Mightyena for the first time. “It’s you,” she said, managing a smile. For some reason she thought Mightyena couldn’t talk before but maybe she’d just missed that...

She sniffed again, and seemed to brighten a little at Mightyena’s words. “Really? I can be your friend?”

Her gaze shifted to the journal Mightyena had brought over. Empty. She’d bought it so she could write in it, show the kids back home, and to have a keepsake of a fun adventure. And then she’d never had a chance to fill it. Slowly, she reached out and picked up the journal. She took a pen from her pocket, then paused again. “I’m scared. I want to make friends but... what if they go away? Or forget about me?”

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"People come and people go," Mightyena said gently. "Not all your friends will be with you forever. It's always sad when you have to leave someone behind. But even if they do leave, and even if they do forget you, you won't forget them, will you? Nobody can take the time you had away from you."

Except for certain psychics, Nate thought grimly. He really wasn't cut out for these sorts of conversations, was he? He gave the drampa a sidelong look. So here the two of them were, just awkwardly hanging around on the sidelines. "I think this is your cue, big guy," he said. "You ain't gonna go away or forget about her, are you?"

Mightyena's ears swiveled towards him for a moment, but she kept her eyes on Reena. "You won't make new friends if you stay here. Or new memories, either." Mightyena nudged the notebook towards Reena again. "I know it's been hard for you, but why don't you try again? We'll help?"

"And you'll help her out too, right?" Nate stage-whispered to Drampa.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"People come and people go," Mightyena said gently. "Not all your friends will be with you forever. It's always sad when you have to leave someone behind. But even if they do leave, and even if they do forget you, you won't forget them, will you? Nobody can take the time you had away from you."

Except for certain psychics, Nate thought grimly. He really wasn't cut out for these sorts of conversations, was he? He gave the drampa a sidelong look. So here the two of them were, just awkwardly hanging around on the sidelines. "I think this is your cue, big guy," he said. "You ain't gonna go away or forget about her, are you?"

Mightyena's ears swiveled towards him for a moment, but she kept her eyes on Reena. "You won't make new friends if you stay here. Or new memories, either." Mightyena nudged the notebook towards Reena again. "I know it's been hard for you, but why don't you try again? We'll help?"

"And you'll help her out too, right?" Nate stage-whispered to Drampa.

Reena managed a proper smile, wiping away the tears from her eyes. "Yeah, I guess nobody can. I didn't think of that before." A steadyness crept into her tone for the first time since they began talking. Drampa perked up, a spark in his eyes once more.

"You're right. I will help her," he rumbled softly to Nate. He'd dedicated himself to protecting Reena, looking out for her, and he couldn't give up now when things were bleakest. Raising himself up, he shook himself and lumbered over to Reena. He bent down and carefully pushed the journal into her hands. "I know you're scared, but I will always be here, Reena."

She looked up at him, her smile growing. "... Thank you," she whispered softly. "You're my best friend."

Drampa nuzzled her damp cheek. "Come, Reena. We will make new memories. Together. And maybe they won't all be happy but they will be ours. But if we stay here we'll be lost... forever. Let's go home." Something... something in the back of his mind told him that whereever 'here' was, was dangerous. Wrong. They were meant to be somewhere else. Reena nodded, glancing down at the journal. She sniffled a final time a drew in a breath, standing up. She stared thoughtfully at the empty journal for a moment, with its blank pages. And then, silvery words began to appear in the journal, as if written by an invisble force.

I made a new friend today, a really nice Mightyena. I don't know if I'll see her after I go home, but it was really fun to get to know her. I'll never forget her. Or her trainer! He seems funny. There's already so many other cool trainers too. I can't wait to tell the others back home about them! But Mightyena will always be my favorite.

The new entry in the journal began to shine with silver light, until the whole page was aglow. And the light grew, bright and brighter, until it had washed away the darkness of void entirely.

Wes and Sigmin's Dennys Date

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
At Hoopa’s command, the landscape around Wes changed and he felt an odd floating sensation, almost as if he was being teleported somewhere, but not quite. He managed to swallow his initial alarm and stand firm as their surroundings morphed into a busy street in some random city. Not that he didn’t trust Hoopa (well, this Hoopa, anyhow), but for gods’ sakes, he was very ready to be done with all the teleporting and visions and dimension hopping. He’d had enough for a lifetime. Hell, a dozen lifetimes.

Neo pressed close to Wes’s leg and looked around, flicking his tail nervously. He looked much smaller than before, wings tightly folded and ears back as though he was trying to shrink himself.

Wes frowned and placed a hand on the top of his head. “I thought you were all excited to come to the rescue, with your fancy new form and all.” He inserted a light and teasing tone into his comment, though Neo was bound to pick up on his concern anyway.

Neo looked down at his paws. “I am…not strong here.” He looked up at Wes. “This place stole my powers. I can’t feel them at all!” His voice rose higher in distress. “I can’t feel anything! Or sense anything! It’s scary! Like you’re not even here! And I can’t protect you if I’m not strong!”

“Woah, woah, hey—” Wes knelt until he was eye level with the Espeon. Normally he could scoop Neo up into his arms, but now he was far too big. Wes settled for holding Neo’s head in his hands instead. “Look, it’s all right. It’s okay. I’m right here even if you can’t hear my thoughts.” He paused, momentarily relieved that Neo couldn’t pick up on his emotions. He couldn’t say he was surprised that Orzo had some sort of power blocker for security, but it was alarming to hear nonetheless.

He looked back into Neo’s eyes. “Powers or not, you’ve got your teeth and claws, yeah? And wings, to boot. Plus, you look badass as hell. And you know I’ve always got my knife on me.” He smirked. “Neither of us are pushovers, with or without your powers. We’ve worked with a lot less before, and we can handle this just fine. Together.”

Neo’s eyes brightened a little and he relaxed out of his nervous posture. “Y-yeah…yeah! You’re right!” He straightened and partially unfurled his wings. “We are strong! And I look badass! I AM badass! Badass as hell!”

Wes choked out a small, surprised laugh. So much for not teaching Neo more curse words, he supposed. He smiled and rubbed Neo’s ear. “That’s more like it.” Thank the gods Neo had always been quick to bounce back.

He stood back up and glanced around the rather dreary cityscape. “All right. Hoopa said this is where we’ll find that trainer…Sigmin, I think. And his Pokémon. Do you happen to remember their scent?”

“YES!” Neo flared out his wings so suddenly he nearly knocked Wes over. “Oh! I am sorry. But I can smell them! They are this way!” And without another word, he tore down the street.

Wes let out a sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a groan and followed suit. More running. Again. He supposed this was the price to pay for giving Neo a pep talk—but he’d give it ten times over and run twice the distance if it meant keeping his companion in high spirits.

Neo abruptly skidded to a stop in front of a rather shady looking alleyway and beamed. “Nox! I have found you! We are here to rescue you and your human!”

Wes pulled up beside him and paused to catch his breath. He nodded at Sigmin. “That’s…yeah. Hi. What he said.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
At Hoopa’s command, the landscape around Wes changed and he felt an odd floating sensation, almost as if he was being teleported somewhere, but not quite. He managed to swallow his initial alarm and stand firm as their surroundings morphed into a busy street in some random city. Not that he didn’t trust Hoopa (well, this Hoopa, anyhow), but for gods’ sakes, he was very ready to be done with all the teleporting and visions and dimension hopping. He’d had enough for a lifetime. Hell, a dozen lifetimes.

Neo pressed close to Wes’s leg and looked around, flicking his tail nervously. He looked much smaller than before, wings tightly folded and ears back as though he was trying to shrink himself.

Wes frowned and placed a hand on the top of his head. “I thought you were all excited to come to the rescue, with your fancy new form and all.” He inserted a light and teasing tone into his comment, though Neo was bound to pick up on his concern anyway.

Neo looked down at his paws. “I am…not strong here.” He looked up at Wes. “This place stole my powers. I can’t feel them at all!” His voice rose higher in distress. “I can’t feel anything! Or sense anything! It’s scary! Like you’re not even here! And I can’t protect you if I’m not strong!”

“Woah, woah, hey—” Wes knelt until he was eye level with the Espeon. Normally he could scoop Neo up into his arms, but now he was far too big. Wes settled for holding Neo’s head in his hands instead. “Look, it’s all right. It’s okay. I’m right here even if you can’t hear my thoughts.” He paused, momentarily relieved that Neo couldn’t pick up on his emotions. He couldn’t say he was surprised that Orzo had some sort of power blocker for security, but it was alarming to hear nonetheless.

He looked back into Neo’s eyes. “Powers or not, you’ve got your teeth and claws, yeah? And wings, to boot. Plus, you look badass as hell. And you know I’ve always got my knife on me.” He smirked. “Neither of us are pushovers, with or without your powers. We’ve worked with a lot less before, and we can handle this just fine. Together.”

Neo’s eyes brightened a little and he relaxed out of his nervous posture. “Y-yeah…yeah! You’re right!” He straightened and partially unfurled his wings. “We are strong! And I look badass! I AM badass! Badass as hell!”

Wes choked out a small, surprised laugh. So much for not teaching Neo more curse words, he supposed. He smiled and rubbed Neo’s ear. “That’s more like it.” Thank the gods Neo had always been quick to bounce back.

He stood back up and glanced around the rather dreary cityscape. “All right. Hoopa said this is where we’ll find that trainer…Sigmin, I think. And his Pokémon. Do you happen to remember their scent?”

“YES!” Neo flared out his wings so suddenly he nearly knocked Wes over. “Oh! I am sorry. But I can smell them! They are this way!” And without another word, he tore down the street.

Wes let out a sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a groan and followed suit. More running. Again. He supposed this was the price to pay for giving Neo a pep talk—but he’d give it ten times over and run twice the distance if it meant keeping his companion in high spirits.

Neo abruptly skidded to a stop in front of a rather shady looking alleyway and beamed. “Nox! I have found you! We are here to rescue you and your human!”

Wes pulled up beside him and paused to catch his breath. He nodded at Sigmin. “That’s…yeah. Hi. What he said.”

Sigmin glanced over, and cracked a half smile when he saw Wes and Neo. "Oh its you. Hey." He gave a nod in greeting before turning his attention back to the crowds again. He seemed somewhat distracted, his gaze faraway. He glanced back again, first at Wes, then at Neo before giving a low whistle. "You look different. Did you... evolve? Pretty impressive."

Nox chittered and greeting, then glanced around. "I don't see your brother... I hope he is alright?"

Sigmin frowned slightly, considering Wes's words. "Anyways uh... save me from what exactly? Me and Nox are doing fine here."

Nox nodded in affirmation, watching Wes and the Espeon curiously.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Neo swelled with pride at Sigmin’s compliment. “Yes! I evolved! I am impressive and BADASS!”

He turned to Nox, eyes shining. “Yes, he is alright! He evolved too! But he stayed behind to fight Orzo so we could be sneaky and help you escape!”

Wes nodded. “What Neo said. We’re here to help you get free.” He threw Sigmin a lightly skeptical look. “And you can say whatever you like, but you sure as hell don’t look ‘fine’ to me.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Nox gave a rasping snicker at Neo's enthusiasm. "Very decent of you, I suppose, but we are in no need of rescue." His tongue flicked out and he glanced around, gaze briefly settling on a trash can. "Mmm perhaps a snack though."

"Like I said, I don't need to get free from anything," Sigmin said with another shrug. "This place is my home. Our home. Used to stay at an orphanage nearby, but it was too stuffy, so I ended up out here. It's not so bad once you get used to it."

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Neo’s eyes lit up. “A snack! That’s right! You were going to show me pan…pan…panflakes? Let’s go get some!”

Wes leaned against the brick wall behind him with his arms folded as he took in Sigmin’s reply. So it was like that, huh. He’d thought that the guy knew what was what when they’d met, keeping an evasive and low-profile like Wes usually liked to. He supposed he should have guessed the similarities didn’t just end there.

“Sure, it’s not so bad once you’re used to it. But it’s not exactly great, either, from my experience.” He tipped his head back slightly. “You don’t have to stay here. You don’t have to stay stuck. But you will, if you won’t let people help you.”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Sigmin glanced down at Nox and grinned. "I think Neo has the right idea. Let's try to find some food, huh? Maybe we can find a diner that has some leftover pancakes..." He mused, almost half to himself. He started forwards out of the alley, passing through the crowd without them giving him a second look.

As he walked the scene seemed to shift, the alleyway and the city features blurring, melting and reforming until they looked like an empty lot behind a diner. The streets were nearly deserted, but the diner seemed lit still, silhouettes vaguely visible through the window.

For a moment, Sigmin's gaze lingered on the interior of the diner before he focused his attention on the dumpsters in the back. Nox's gaze lingered as well, before the Salandit turned away. It seemed neither of them considered going inside an option.

"Lots of good food gets left behind if you check the right restaurants. And if you're careful... No one ever notices you." The last sentence seemed to be said with a slight note of sadness, melancholy. Being invisible seemed to be second nature.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Neo padded alongside Nox, chattering happily as Sigmin lead the way. But Wes was preoccupied with the way things melted and shifted eerily around them, the way humans and Pokémon alike brushed past without even the slightest glance. None of this was real, certainly, but…Sigmin and Nox didn’t seem to realize this, somehow.

Wes was quiet as Sigmin talked, until he saw the trainer eyeing the dumpster out back. But more than that, it was the dejected way he spoke, as if the only option that ever existed was to snatch food from the trash before retreating to the shadows…

Damn. Even Wes at least managed to scrounge up change for a warm meal every now and then in his snagging days. And yet, it seemed neither of these two even considered it a possibility. As if such a thing was worlds away for people like them.

An absurd idea clicked in Wes’s mind, but before he could say it, Neo chimed in. If Wes didn’t know any better, he’d have assumed the Espeon had regained his mind-reading abilities.

“No need to eat from there! Let’s go inside! My Wes will get food for all of us!”

How kind of you to volunteer me,
Wes thought with a tinge of exasperated amusement. But, well, this whole place was a dream after all, so surely it didn’t matter that he didn’t have any money on him.

Or, well. He sure as hell hoped so.

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Sigmin and Nox both froze at Neo's words. Their gazes shifted between Neo and Wes, disbelief written across their features. The question seemed to have caught entirely off guard, and it was a minute before they responded. "You... you would do that? For us?"

Nox glanced up at Sigmin, eyes sparkling with eagerness. Sigmin seemed uncertain how to respond, eventually settling for a shrug, though a slight smile tugged at his lips. "Yeah uh.... that sounds good."

Nox scrambled onto Sigmin's shoulder, and he followed Wes inside, trying to hide his wonder. Some strange thought in the back of his mind told him he'd been in nice restaurants before but... that had been after... after he'd trained and fought with Nox and after he'd already made a name for himself...

His thoughts were soon occupied however, by the cheerful lights of the dinner and the muted chatter of patrons. They were soon seated at a table, an order put in for 'pancakes', which Nox insisted on, as well as hot chocolate.

"Many many thanks," Nox hissed, eyes crinkling with delight as they waited their meal. "A fresh meal is a rare treat."

"Yeah, we appreciate it," Sigmin murmured awkwardly. "You know, you get used to living in the shadows. Being invisible has its perks," he added, grinning wryly. "But it's not so bad having someone else to talk to. Not to be nosy but you seem pretty... on top of things, if you know what I mean. Where you from?"

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Neo trilled in laughter at the shocked look on both of their faces. They were so surprised! He loved surprises! And judging from the way Nox’s eyes lit up as he hastily scrambled up to his trainer’s shoulder, he liked them too! Neo trotted towards the restaurant with his head held high and a spring in his step. “Panflakes, panflakes, panflakes!”

They all followed suit, Wes smiling slightly and shaking his head at Neo’s eagerness. A small part of him felt both warmth and sadness at the look of wonder on Sigmin and Nox’s faces; painfully familiar to him, silently speaking of a world in which a hot meal was a rare, unobtainable luxury.

Apparently, he thought, a little bitterly, going hungry was not just an Orrean pastime.

Nox was practically vibrating with anticipation until their food arrived. Then he slurped up the pancakes with so much gusto, Wes half wondered if he would accidentally swallow the plate, too. Neo chattered at Nox about his favorite food—bacon, of course—and offered to share some from the (too small, in his opinion) pile of bacon on his plate.

“These panflakes are yummy! But I still like bacon most! But I still like panflakes!” Neo attempted to use telekinesis, until he was reminded he couldn’t do that here. Instead, he nosed a strip to Nox across the table. “Try it! It is very good. It is the most good!”

Wes, meanwhile, nearly choked on his drink when Sigmin complimented him. He sputtered out a laugh. “I—what?” He huffed and shook his head with a small smile. “Sorry. It’s just that I don’t think anybody has ever called me the ‘on top of things’ type. But I think I know what you mean. I’m from Orre, so…I guess you could say my Pokémon and I know a thing or two about sticking to the shadows.”

Shadows. Ha. He held back a bitter snort at the irony. Instead, he met Sigmin’s gaze. “But we’ve been learning a thing or two about being…less invisible, too. Pretty recently, anyway.” He sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. Dammit, he hated getting all cheesy, but obviously these two needed to hear it. “It’s nice, you know? Once you figure out that you don’t have to be stuck where you are forever. And that…other people can care about you.”

He felt the color rise to his cheeks a little bit. What the hell was he even saying?

Thank the gods for Neo, though, because he piped up when Wes couldn’t find the words to continue. “It is very nice! It was just me and brother and Wes for a long time, but then we met friends! And more friends! And even more friends! And they are all very nice and fun and I like them a lot, and I know Wes does too even if he is too shy to say it!”

“Wh-? I’m not shy—”

“And we like you, too!”
Neo sat up straighter, eyes sparkling. “We like you and you are our friends and we are going to help you get back to where you belong!”

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Sigmin chuckled at Neo's antics as he listened to Wes and his partner. It was comforting, somehow, to hear someone else's story too. To remember he wasn't the only one who understood. Well, other than Nox, of course. "Orre huh?" The name was vaguely familiar, but then again, he'd never been good at geography. It definitely didn't seem to be a commonly discussed region, not like Kanto or Galar. Probably not a fun place either, by the sound of it.

"I know what you mean. About becoming less invisible. Didn't really happen though until this guy helped me," he gestured to Nox, who paused cleaning off his plate to glance up at Sigmin. "I never had a family to help me. And at the orphanage I was just another kid, too old for anyone to be interested in. I hated that feeling. Crowded, being just another face. Nox found me not long after I left, and we both decided to do things our way."

"No one cared about us, so we made them." Nox's claws dug into the wood of the table. "We got strong, and we got everyone's attention."

Sigmin nodded absently, as if lost in his thoughts. "Once we started winning battles and tournaments, people finally noticed us. We were somebody. I could buy Nox the good food, stuff we never could eat before. I could afford stuff that I actually liked wearing. But... I guess I never really shook off my past."

A waiter came by, dropping off a check, to which Wes left a small sum of money, enough to cover the meal and tip.

As Sigmin continued, he seemed to almost me thinking out loud, his gaze distant. "I spent so long being invisible, even when I had the chance not to be, I never tried to stop being invisible. Even with everything we did, we never made a friend."

"They're not worth it," Nox grumbled. "Everyone forgets you eventually."

Sigmin's gaze drifted back to Wes. "Maybe. But not everyone."

Nox remained silent for a moment, tail flicking. "Very well. Neo is ok. And Novo. And Wes isn't bad, he has a good coat."

"You know, I gotta say, I never expected anyone to actually remember me..." Sigmin said with a chuckle. Someone came looking for him. Paid attention to him. Remembered him. A knot formed in his chest, and he stared intently at the empty plate on the table. When he spoke again, his voice was quiet, somber. "... Thank you. For the uh... meal."

He kept his eyes trained downward still. A moment of awkward silence fell. Finally, he forced himself look up, and meet Wes's eyes. "And thanks for listening. It's been a long time since I actually talked to anyone like this. Maybe it's time we stopped trying to be invisible, huh Nox?" he asked, glancing at his partner.

Nox narrowed his eyes and stared back at Sigmin for a long moment. His gaze flickered to Neo for a brief moment before returning to Sigmin. "Fine... But only if they buy us more pancakes."

At that, Sigmin laughed. "Deal."

The lights in the diner seemed to grow brighter, shimmering with a silver light, brighter and brighter, until everything melted away...

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Reena and her dragon faded out into silver light, Mightyena a dark shadow behind them, tail wagging furiously, and then Nate was jolted back to the dark and quiet starry place, the bullshit king's place. Awake. He instinctively struggled back to his feet as another wave of fatigue crashed down over him. Mightyena stirred, stretching and yawning widely.

Everything seemed just as they'd left it: blurry far-off stars, the indistinct shapes of bound trainers and their pokémon. Where was Reena? Or Drampa?

If they were back, though, then... Nate cast about, squinting in the gloom. "Wes?"

Yes, Wes was there... completely passed out, from the look of it. Neo was curled up, too, fast asleep.

"Wake up!" Nate barked. "Hey!"

Mightyena was on her feet now, turning this way and that. "Reena? We saved them, didn't we? Why aren't they here?"

Nate didn't have an answer. Tried to clamp down on the fear radiating through him in a chill wave. Where the hell were Steven and Odette? Not to mention Hoopa, supposedly their ticket out of here?

Had this all been a trap to begin with? Lure more people in here with thoughts of rescue, keep them occupied with dreams of doing the rescuing, then start draining off their life force, too? Was he going to turn around and see another one of those chains wrapped around Wes? Or come creeping up on himself?

"Hey!" Nate yelled into the darkness, adrenaline temporarily driving back the constant tug of sleep. "Hoopa! Odette! Steven? Where the fuck are you?"

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
The scene around them blurred, beams of light folding into one another, and then Wes felt that familiar and nauseating sense of vertigo once more as they were pulled away from the dream. He leaned into Neo to steady himself, grumbled under his breath, and silently prayed that this would be the last time he’d ever have to deal with this…dream-teleportation-bullshit. Or whatever it was.

Before he knew it, Wes found himself blinking into the starry void once more, flat on his back with Neo beside him. Neo stood and stretched, and Wes slowly sat up as his senses gradually returned to him, pulling him from his groggy haze—

Where the fuck are you?"

Wes flinched at the sudden shout from somewhere to his right. Gods, did people need to be so loud? He threw an unappreciative glare in the direction of the noise, and—oh. It was Mit—Nate. And Mightyena. Both of them looked spooked, which gave Wes a sense of foreboding as well as exasperation. Damn it all to hell, what else was wrong, now?

Neo, though, was utterly unconcerned. He stretched out his wings, admiring them proudly, then bounced over to the pair.
“Hello! We are awake! We rescued Nox and his human! Did you rescue your people, too? Was it cool? Ours was! We are like heroes!”

Panoramic_Vacuum

Hoenn around
Partners
  1. aggron
  2. lairon
--the fuck are you?"

Steven’s eyes snapped open with a sharp gasp. He blinked, dazed, and involuntarily shivered. The hazy warmth of the park sunset was gone in an instant; replaced with cold darkness and sickly stars.

That voice. That question. Where was he?

A muffled snort sounded beside him, and Aggron stirred where he sat. Dull golden light reflected off his armor, and Steven’s head shot up in alarm.

That’s right, Orzo’s realm. The captured trainers—

Steven staggered to his feet from where he’d sunk to his knees, and caught sight of the most unusual Espeon he’d ever seen. His trainer followed behind, a hand pressed to his head with a grimace.

We rescued Nox and his human! Did you rescue your people, too?

Rescue…

Steven tore his gaze from Wes and his high-energy Eeveelution and spun back to face the captured trainers. Whatever excitement he had at Wes’s partner’s exclamation died when he saw that Hayes still hung from the golden chains, Nosepass trapped by his side.

“No…” he whispered, eyes going wide. He turned to his right, and sure enough Irene was there, still bound and unconscious.

“It didn’t… It didn’t work?” he stammered, backpedaling away in disbelief. He’d spoken to her, reached out to her. Yet she was still trapped, they all were.

Was Wes’s Espeon wrong? Hadn’t they all tried to reach out to someone? Why hadn’t it worked?

“Wait, who did you speak to?” he asked, hurrying up to where Wes was standing, still looking a bit worse for wear. Mitch was there too, looking just as panicked as Steven was feeling. Steven turned to the shorter trainer and his Mightyena. “And you, were you able to reach any of the trainers?”

Top Bottom