• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokemon Square - Whiscash Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
A decade ago, Whiscash Pond had dried up and its inhabitants had to move elsewhere. The great cavern that had formed from a strange crystal that had struck the lake long ago during the Meteor Omen had slowly, yet surely, drained it of all its water. From there, the dry land had collapsed into itself, leaving nothing but a great crater.

But nature had a way of stubbornly sticking to what it wanted when outside influences finally faded away. The crystal cavern had eventually collapsed; water flowed into the pit; and soon, it was not a pond, but a great lake where Whiscash used to live. He was much larger and much older, now, but Whiscash still had that same, friendly smile to anybody who visited. While several feared for his health, he was at peace, and intended to spend the rest of his days speaking to those young and old about the many stories he knew.

Though, it was another matter entirely to wake him to speak...

<><><>

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales was shivering and breathing harshly, trying hard to regain his composure after the mad run from the others.

They were probably going to hate him for ditching them without a reason, but that hardly mattered to him. What he needed was to keep them safe… from himself.

He was terrified. Terrified of what he was tempted to do. Why did he feel this sudden desire? He didn’t have these dark cravings in a long time, and was even spending a pleasant time with his comrades, so why now?

A fresh breeze caressed his fur, and he redirected his attention toward the lake in front of him. Small ripples and waves were distorting the reflection of the partially clouded sky, while an elderly Whiscash was sleeping peacefully by the lakeshore. At quick glance, it was improbable that the boom of an Explosion could have woken him up.

He stared blankly at the fish, then he blinked. Yes, the voice and the urges were gone, much to his relief. Feeling more relaxed, he strode toward the water and glanced at his reflection. Golly, he looked exactly like in his pup years. Those were… quite the memories, indeed.

“Well, this is as close as I can get to a fountain of youth, I reckon…”

He sat on his haunches and thought about his cravings, the frightening thought refusing to leave his mind. What had triggered everything? The last thing he remembered was a sudden sense of powerlessness, and…

And then, everything rushed back to him. He couldn’t do anything against that daemon at the beach, and when they faced that creature again and he had the chance to do something… he did nothing.

Everybody had everything under control. They didn’t need his powers. They didn’t need him.

Useless. Powerless. A waste of space and air. That was all he was.

He rubbed his eyes with a paw to dry the tears that were threatening to come out, then he looked again at his reflection. Then, the shock: there wasn’t a Vulpix anymore, but rather the imposing reflection of a Ninetales. Same star-patterned fur on the paws, same blue ribbon, same velvety tails. It was… exactly how he looked like back in his homeworld.

However, a quick glance at his physical body confirmed that he was still a Vulpix. He frowned — was his mind tricking him?

Thou could be like this once more, Keo’Keo X. Regain thy true powers…

Icetales blanched. “No…”

He looked again at the reflection, and this time he let out a horrified scream.

The Ninetales in the water… was different. Nine long tails flailing around and covered by dark purple wisps, a dark silver and perfectly trimmed fur, and a eerie and daemonic smirk.

Father.

Look at that lousy body, my son. So weak and tiny, incapable of stopping a creature much smaller than thee…

And yet, thou know there is a way to fix that…

“No! No! I am not heeding thy words!” he screamed at the water.

Why the persistent rejection of thy destiny, Keo’Keo X? Doust thou not wish to become powerful? To have the prowess required to… well, ‘save the day’? To rescue those two damsels? To prove to not be a worthless whelp?

“I abhor that! I do not want my paws marred by dastardly acts and arcane sorcery! I refuse to become like thee, Father!” he snarled, gathering a frigid mist between his tails and a cold energy inside his jaws. “So, back off!”

Foolish twerp. Thou cannot hide the truth and thy nature from them for all eternity…

The smirk in the Ninetales’ face became more twisted and demented, while his entire body was tinged in a hue as black as a dark void.

Because thou know what thou truly are. An aberration! A curse! A bad omen! A filthy bast—

“I said back off!”

A massive burst of frost struck the water, raising a column made of frozen chunks and heavy mist. Icetales breathed harshly and shuddered, the energy required to fire off that Freeze-Dry having taken its toll. Then, he collapsed on his side, staring at the now limpid water.

“…I am not a curse…”

He held a paw over his eyes, while his tails wrapped around himself, unconsciously trying to embrace his body.

“…I am… n-not a…”

He began sobbing, alone with his despair.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Still floating in his sea of darkness, the distressed Vulpix flinched when a voice cut through his veil of pity. His tails stiffened and his breath cut off, making him cough out some snowflakes.

Heavens! Someone is here!

Flustered and embarrassed, he bolted upright and shook his head, in an attempt of clearing his mind. Then, when he felt that most of his weight in his heart had been lifted, he turned around to see who had spoken. An Absol, probably male by judging the voice and the length of the scythe.

“Oh. Um…” He cleared his throat, trying to regain his composure. “Err… greetings, sir. I… huh, I did not hear thee approaching…”

“Hey, are you okay? You did get dumped into the middle of... a lot. I can understand if you’re stressed out.”

Okay? Okay? He sure was anything but!

“I am… afraid I am not too swell, good fellow. My current spirits are… a tad low, indeed…” He sighed and looked away. “I-I am not someone to get in such funk so easily, but… um… some things about these past days have dug out foul mementos, and… and now there are these two comrades missing, and I wish I could do something, and I do not know what to do nor can do anything about that, and…”

He paused, having realized he was rambling incoherently, and shook his head. “Ah! A-Apologies! I did not desire to go to such tangent. But, um, to put it curtly…” He sighed again, a bit heavier this time. “Yes, I have… been dealing with an unhealthy amount of stress since I came here. The truth is… that I wish I was a better Pokémon, someone who could be considered reliable and helpful. But so far I do not feel I have accomplished much…”

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…I am aware of that. No ‘mon is an island, howbeit—”

He halted as he registered the mention. Darkwhite…? Ah, yes. The accursed daemon.

Something clicked in his mind and the events of the beach replayed at high speed. An Absol… in that daemon’s clutches… wait, that Absol! Now that he looked at his acquaintance a bit better… yes, the similarities were there.

“Sir, thou… were at the beach in the other continent mere days ago, were thou not?” he asked, staring at the Absol. “Thou were… that fellow who first met that foul daemon, if I am not mistaken.” He showed a sympathetic and worried stare. “Goodness, that must have been the most harrowing experience. How art thou feeling?”

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Was he just trying to change the subject? Well, Celeste was fine with that. He nodded. “I am. I made an enemy of her back before I figured out how powerful she was... I’m feeling better now, though. We gave her what for, if nothing else. She...”

He shuddered. “I’m just worried about how she got away. I don’t think we’ve seen that last of her.”

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales sighed and shook his head. “I am very much in doubt as well, good fellow. She strikes me as the kind of individual who takes pleasure in giving grievances to her victims. And, well, she will most likely return with new tricks and sorcery in her paws…”

He started wagging his tails, his mood slowly starting to improve. The creeping anxiety that had plagued him was now a bit more than a faint whisper. He needed to keep his mind distracted, he didn’t want to fall back in the trap of his demons so soon.

“Anyway! I would like to refer to thee as something more than ‘good fellow’. What is thy name, if I am not too indiscreet?”

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales smiled. “Thou can just call me Icetales, sir. My real name… is a tad of a mouthful, haha.”

He looked at the water, a thoughtful expression on his face.

“…Celeste. A name connected to the firmament, is it not?” He glanced at the Absol by his side. “I am… particularly fascinated by asters myself, thou see? The motions of the stars across the sky, the imaginative shapes seen by our ancestors, the symbolism of the signs… all of that fancies me greatly.”

He frowned and looked again at the water. “But this entire hero business… Well, let us say that it hampered my enjoyment significantly. I cannot even spend some good-natured stargazing before someone shouts ‘aye, menace’ at the most inappropriate time…”

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…This is most unfortunate. Well, we could… perhaps… take a good gaze at the stars together? It would be less likely to be ambushed if there are two of us, dost thou not agree?”

He beamed a grin and his eyes shone like gemstone es, feeling in good mood at the idea of looking at the firmament with someone who shared the same passion. And who knows, perhaps they could talk about their constellations, their traditions, their—

And of course their patron had to spoil the moment. Of course.

“It appears we have to go now, Sir Celeste,” he said, looking at the sky. “I wonder what that sir is planning to announce…”

He shrugged. “Oh well! He will not know until we are there, hm? Anyway…” He turned to the Absol, wagging his tails and showing a gaze of appreciation. “Thou have my gratitude for listening to my plight. I am feeling… marvelous after pouring all my feelings to a kind soul.” He bowed in respect. “I thank thee! I truly do!”

Stargazing Session with Icetales, Celeste... and Vix was there, too!

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
The view of the sky by the lakeside was spectacular that night. There wasn't a single cloud to be seen, allowing a view of that universe's stars in all their splendor. It had been ages since Icetales had seen such limpid sky, and it was nice to have a small quiet moment to enjoy the panorama, away from scenes brimming with fiery explosions and moaning comrades.

He glanced behind his back and his tails quivered. Would the meeting have happened? He sure hoped so. There was plenty he wished to talk about, and he wanted to take this chance now that the demons were quiet.

Heh. Perhaps even they were tired of the entire situation and wanted to enjoy some healthy peace. He couldn't blame them for that.

"Well, it sure is good to have some inner silence," he commented, smiling to himself.

He turned to look at the lake and walked forward, glancing at the milky-tinted water. The twinkles and underwater glows reminded him of the celebrations back home, by the time his folks celebrated the arrival of winter. Hmm. Those were such lovely moments, and he had plenty of good memories about them. Heck, even Father was a bit more tolerable during those moments.

"I wonder if I should bring that festival to this world. It would be most delightful to savor some snow scones with milk-flavored tea! And to trade presents with our friends! And... and to look at the falling stars!" He blinked and tilted his head. "Though, huh... I wonder if stars fall here, too..."

And then, he perked up when he heard some noises. He turned around and waited patiently to see who was arriving...

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Celeste took one last look at himself before walking up. His fur was groomed all nicely, he had the contacts in... everything was fine.

He took a deep breath. He was... nervous? Icetales and Nip were the two people he most liked, and... he hadn’t exactly been patient with Icetales before. He hoped that the events of that day would be behind them now.

“Hello. I am here. Nice to see you, Icetales.”

He took a deep breath. Should he acknowledge it? He hesitated... then stopped entirely and just sat down beside Icetales.

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
As time passed, the only thing on Vix's mind was the state of the team. She hoped they were able to move past all the sadness that the shadow machine brought out of them, but Vix knew how naive that sounded. In order to try and get it off her mind, Vix decided to wander.

The night sky was beautiful, the air was cool, and for the first time since that last fight, Vix managed to relax. All she needed was some curry and her friends fighting over who would start the campfire and she'd mistake this place for home. As she floated aimlessly through the night, Vix came across a waterfall. But, more importantly, was the two pokemon she say sitting at the edge of the lake the waterfall led to.

"Celeste and Icetales? Did you guys wander to here too?" Vix asked, sitting on the other side of Icetales. She took a deep breath, and let out a relieved sigh. "It's pretty out, isn't it?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
It took less than a second for Icetales to register a calmer -- and perhaps nervous -- tone in Celeste's voice. Whatever force had possessed him seemed completely gone. Sure, the words uttered by the Absol earlier may have stung, but it was nice to see again the same kindred soul that had helped him get over his funk some days ago and by the same place. He really wanted to show himself for what he was, and not for the nervous wreck that had interacted with the Absol not once, but twice.

So, he beamed his best smile and decided to ignore whatever thing happened earlier.

"Ah! Greetings, Sir Celeste! I am most delighted to see thee here," chirped Icetales, wagging his tails and sitting on his haunches. "Good to see thou made it. Thou look... in a terrific shape tonight. I commend that!"

"Celeste and Icetales? Did you guys wander to here too?" Vix asked, sitting on the other side of Icetales. She took a deep breath, and let out a relieved sigh. "It's pretty out, isn't it?"

Icetales blinked when he heard the new voice, and turned toward the Litwick who had floated by his side. Well, the more the merrier!

"Ah! Fancy meeting thee here, um... Miss Vix, was it not?" He beamed another friendly smile. "And yes, as good Sir Celeste here said, we have decided to meet each other here to enjoy this beautiful starry night." He turned to the stars. "Golly, how I missed peaceful moments like this..."

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
"Oh! I hope I'm not interrupting anything!" Vix chuckled nervously. Come to think of it, did Celeste spruce himself up? Th-This wasn't a...

Vix cleared her throat, cutting that thought short. "Would it be alright for me to stay? As much as I like stargazing alone, I think it's better with company."

Brief memories of her friends back home flashed in her mind. All those nights, camping under the stars, listening to the river as it followed it's centuries-old path. Vix didn't realize how much she enjoyed those moments until she had to do it alone, here.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
"Huh? Oh, worry not, miss! Thou art not interrupting anything!" He grinned at the Litwick. "If all, I would say it is nice to share this moment with more folks! We would get the possibility of sharing plenty of commentaries about the sky and interesting moments of our lives. Or... just have other amusing conversations, haha!" He turned to look at Celeste. "Thou... dost not mind that, dost thee?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom