• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokemon Square - Whiscash Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales suppressed a cough as he was pulled into a tight hug — he didn’t quite expect that! Though, once the shock faded away, he found himself appreciating that show of affection, and smiled faintly.

“Um… Thou art welcome,” he said, before reciprocating the hug by wrapping his tails around the Meganium’s chest. “I… did not do anything, really. This is all the result of thy efforts.” He grinned. “So swell job!”

The two stayed there for a few more seconds, enjoying the pleasant sounds and scents that came from the lake, before Icetales cleared his throat and looked intently at Saltriv.

“So! Dost thou wish to celebrate the happy event in some way? We could enjoy the view of the lake or go drink something. Thy call!”

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Sure! That sounds great!" Saltriv said, smiling as their autumn red leaf blew in the breeze, and as the breeze rippled their petals.

<><><><><><><>​

[R13] Icetales and Celeste

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Celeste was worried about Icetales. It seemed the poor ninetales just couldn't get away from these voidlands...

Or, he could avoid it, but he insisted upon going in again. It was, for one reason or another, important to him he be there. Celeste probably hadn't helped things between the two of them by questioning the decision, even if he immediately walked it back. He should probably apologize for that if the subject came up.

Celeste didn't even know Icetales would be at Whiscash Pond, but he had a strong feeling it would turn out to be the case. It was a perfect spot for reflection.

As it turned out, Icetales was indeed there. Celeste hesitated for a moment, then approached. "Would you mind if I joined you?"

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
There was no better place to spend time by yourself than Whiscash Lake -- hardly a soul visited that lone place, especially by nighttime, and the starry sky was as spectacular as ever. That lovely dark blue shade with a purplish tint and bright stars... yes. That added just the right touch.

Some solitude and relaxation were precisely what Icetales needed, after that draining battle inside the Tree of Life and the meeting with the entire team.

The team... right. Could they really consider themselves a team? What team kept secrets from each other, especially secrets that concerned the world and their close allies?

'No wonder Miss Mellow was so furious... I cannot blame her for feeling left out.' He sighed. 'I understand her all too well...'

The Ninetales perked up and his ears swiveled when he heard some steps behind him. So much for staying alone. He was about to turn around and check who was there...

"Would you mind if I joined you?"

...but Celeste was already there by his side. Icetales gazed at the Absol, noticing some traces of... was that concern or something else? He couldn't quite tell.

No matter. That was the time to cram his uncertainties and try to be welcoming. Focus, and composure.

"Ah. Greetings, Sir Celeste." Icetales beamed a tiny smile. "I do not mind at all. Feel free to take a seat." He motioned toward the spot by his side with a couple of his tails. "Were thou in the mood of some stargazing, too?"

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
"I am in the mood for stargazing... Though, I also came here because I thought I might find you."

Celeste sighed. "There... has been a lot going on. The tree, Xerneas, Soda... and Maple's Voidlands. I got the impression it was wearing at you. Thought you might appreciate having someone to talk about it with. Trying to work through feelings together, like last time we were here. N-not to say you have to or anything, of course, I just didn't want to leave you on your own if you needed someone to lean on."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
…Oh. Did Icetales really hang out around the lake that much? Funny how they usually met each other in that place. That was something they had in common, at least.

And Celeste wanted to check on him? Ah. Bless his soul.

Icetales’s smile widened, touched by his friend’s interest. “I… very much appreciate thy company.”

There was a brief pause as Icetales gazed at the stars, his lips and tails quivering slightly. He took a deep breath to sort through his thoughts, then looked again at Celeste.

“I must say I am going through plenty, indeed,” he admitted, his ears drooping. “I do not know what to… think about this entire situation. Comrades hiding important matters to comrades, Sir Soda and his preposterous plan, Miss Maple trapped in the Tree of Life with Miss Eien…”

The Ninetales grumbled and looked again at the lake, while his claws dug into the soil. There was some disappointment flashed in his eyes.

“Nothing of that would have happened if our comrades showed some trust toward the team. Like, heavens, we have been hunting those spies for months, and what do they do when someone finds out the identity of the spies?” His eyes narrowed. “They say nothing. They keep the teammates in the dark, making them lose hours of sleep to try to find those spies. And…” he growled indignantly, “And… I cannot help but think we could have done something more to aid Miss Maple. I could have told Sir Bahamut, and we could have tried to reason with her, and maybe… just maybe… she could still be with us!”

Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.

“I am… unhappy about all of that.” Icetales closed his eyes and lowered his head. “Unhappy that the cortège still does not trust me…”

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Celeste shut his eyes and took a deep breath. "I understand."

Icetales was already beginning to shake. He hoped talking would make this better and not worse. "I suppose Team Spectrum... is not entirely a singular team. We're a bunch of partially-overlapping friend circles, who happened to have been aligned in common purpose by Diyem. Now? I'm not even sure what our long-term goal is supposed to be anymore, and the common purpose that kept us together... begins to grow warped and unclear.

"I only hope this mission can resolve things entirely. I fear that, should things grow more complex and difficult, there may not be one Team Spectrum at the end."

Except, resolving the issues on Cibus would come with being sent home. Was he ready for that yet? He wasn't sure.

Celeste leaned against Icetales' side. "If nothing else, rest assured that it is not your fault Spectrum isn't acting as a full team. A-and that, despite that, you will still always have friends at your side."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
“…Friends.” Icetales took a deep breath, feeling comforted by Celeste’s touch. He took it in, by also wrapping his tails on the Absol’s back. “Oh, rest assured that I am not forgetting that.”

At least his closest friends trusted him, right? Otherwise, they wouldn’t be open about their personal matters. And… he trusted them back. There was no doubt about that.

Reciprocated trust made him feel… good. Much closer to others, as they both understood each other and were ready to give all themselves for their friends. He sure knew he would have given everything to make sure that his friends were safe, sound and happy.

It seemed, however, that folks were only close to their small groups, and had problems connecting with the others.

Hm. It shouldn’t be too surprising, all things considered, but everyone was working for a common cause, right? It was a pity they couldn’t be more united.

“…I really wish there was some way to fix that.” Icetales sighed and shook his head. “I do not like discord, mistrust and misunderstandings among folks and comrades. I have been giving all of myself to try to close the gaps, but… I am not sure if I am making any progress.” He chuckled sadly. “I wager that belonging to different worlds and cultures makes things so much harder, huh…”

Icetales glanced at his reflection on the water, his gaze focusing on the mismatched pattern on his fur.

“…I sure did not have much trust thrown at me, back in my home world. When I escaped Chaos, I would have expected that folks would be more welcoming and sympathize with my plight.” He glared at the water. “And yet, they did the exact opposite. They looked at me and saw a beast, a wild creature that needed to be removed entirely, a threat for society as a whole. The only one who showed unwavering trust… was my sister, Fifth.” He glanced back at Celeste. “It was thanks to her if I could piece my life together. Because she trusted me, and believed in me.

“And… I wish to believe in our team. I really, really do. Because faith does miracles,” his eyes glowed with resoluteness, “and I desire to prove that.”

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
“…I really wish there was some way to fix that.” Icetales sighed and shook his head. “I do not like discord, mistrust and misunderstandings among folks and comrades. I have been giving all of myself to try to close the gaps, but… I am not sure if I am making any progress.” He chuckled sadly. “I wager that belonging to different worlds and cultures makes things so much harder, huh…”
Celeste smiled. "I am sure you would fix it had you ever the chance. Yours is the gentlest of hearts... Just... Don't lose yourself in the size of the task, okay? There's times you're startlingly alike to Brisa before her shadow talked her into allowing herself from rest. I worry you'd crush yourself under the weight of the world while trying to carry it all on your shoulders."

Was he being too overbearing? He wasn't sure. "I apologize if I sound dismissive of your hopes. I... I really do wish you all the best in uniting the team. I just also... care about you. And worry, sometimes. I want you to be happy, and sometimes I can't help but feel... like you'd hurt yourself for the morale of those around you. And... perhaps it's selfish of me, for yours is a noble desire, but I cannot help but want for you to keep yourself well firstly."

“…I sure did not have much trust thrown at me, back in my home world. When I escaped Chaos, I would have expected that folks would be more welcoming and sympathize with my plight.” He glared at the water. “And yet, they did the exact opposite. They looked at me and saw a beast, a wild creature that needed to be removed entirely, a threat for society as a whole. The only one who showed unwavering trust… was my sister, Fifth.” He glanced back at Celeste. “It was thanks to her if I could piece my life together. Because she trusted me, and believed in me.

“And… I wish to believe in our team. I really, really do. Because faith does miracles,” his eyes glowed with resoluteness, “and I desire to prove that.”
Celeste found himself staring into the eyes of Icetales' reflection. "I'll not act as if my life is anything but endlessly tame compared what you've gone through with Chaos, but when it comes to those feeling of mistrust, that particular part of your struggle... I can understand that better than anyone should have to. You know, what with those I grew up around expecting I would, in the most literal sense of the word, be wild. My own mother and sister were the ones to help me through that. I understand that gratitude, too..."

He sighed. This train of thought was leading him towards a conclusion he was most uncomfortable to admit, much less to speak aloud.

"I suppose the difference is how we reacted to that. You made of yourself a well from which to draw for others what the world didn't give you. I... did not. I held those few I trusted close, and placed the well-being of myself and those others above the outside world. I... It's what I was just doing. Asking you to think like I do, and to protect yourself first. Perhaps, though, I ought to be more like you, and not the other way around."

Celeste leaned against Icetales. "But, uhh, still don't burn yourself out. I stand behind that much."

Last edited:

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Celeste smiled. "I am sure you would fix it had you ever the chance. Yours is the gentlest of hearts... Just... Don't lose yourself in the size of the task, okay? There's times you're startlingly alike to Brisa before her shadow talked her into allowing herself from rest. I worry you'd crush yourself under the weight of the world while trying to carry it all on your shoulders."

[…]

"I apologize if I sound dismissive of your hopes. I... I really do wish you all the best in uniting the team. I just also... care about you. And worry, sometimes. I want you to be happy, and sometimes I can't help but feel... like you'd hurt yourself for the morale of those around you. And... perhaps it's selfish of me, for yours is a noble desire, but I cannot help but want for you to keep yourself well firstly."

Icetales said nothing for a while, mulling over those words, and stared at the stars.

A comet shot across the inky blackness, and his mind wandered into the memories of his puppyhood.

Back when Queen Magnanimous reigned Borealis with kindness and wisdom, always there for her people and always making sure that they were safe and happy. A glowing light for all inhabitants, someone who used all her power to help sort through the issues of her people, and someone who keep the kingdom united and peaceful.

A smile spread across his muzzle, his heart becoming slightly lighter at those pleasant memories. If only his dear mother was there…

“I understand what thou mean, Sir Celeste, and I appreciate that thou care so much about my well-being. Truly, I do.” He sighed, a nostalgic glint shining in his eyes. “It’s just… I cannot help it at times. One of the most important teachings of my dear mother was to put others above ourselves. Because… this is what royals are supposed to do — keeping the safety and sake of their people as their uppermost priority.”

Soft thumps sounded behind the duo, made with some of Icetales’s tails. His muzzle was scrunched in concentration.

“Howbeit… I must concede that it becomes most difficult to help others if thou cannot help thyself first, huh. How much help can thou offer… if thou art drained of thy energy and enthusiasm?”

The Ninetales chuckled nervously, while rubbing his cheek with his leftmost tail. “I guess… I still have to fully assimilate this lesson, myself. I forget it far too often.” He smirked at Celeste. “Perhaps thou ought to remind it more often, yes?”

"I suppose the difference is how we reacted to that. You made of yourself a well from which to draw for others what the world didn't give you. I... did not. I held those few I trusted close, and placed the well-being of myself and those others above the outside world. I... It's what I was just doing. Asking you to think like I do, and to protect yourself first. Perhaps, though, I ought to be more like you, and not the other way around."

Icetales’s stare hardened. “…I used to think like that, too, while I was stranded in Chaos. To put myself first, to survive and not bother about anything else. It was me, and only me. Nobody else.” He shook his head and looked again at the lake. “Though, that was survival at its finest, and something that led to an endless cycle or paranoia and hyper-awareness, slowly eroding any sense of monkind I still had in my mind and spirit…”

The Ninetales shuddered as he recalled those painful moments, but he regained his composure surprisingly quickly. There was no point in running from himself anymore. It was time to march forward, and to come clean.

“I… became a literal beast, borderline mindless and mad.” He glanced again at Celeste. “But I didn’t lose myself, no matter how much I was brought down by the circumstances and how much I was wounded, both physically and psychologically. I held onto that bright dot of hope, preserved my heart and soul — no matter what. At the end, that paid off…”

Icetales sighed and shook his entire body. The grass underneath his paws froze instantly, as he unleashed his inner energy and demons.

“And here I am today. I cannot say that everything is fixed nor pretend that nothing happened, but I managed to reclaim a semblance of normality, at least. And… I cannot say to know how things are in thy world. I wager that thy behavior in thy world is a result of different circumstances.” He smiled reassuringly. “So, I shall not judge thee for that. I only judge thee for what thou art here, in this world — a really close friend.”

Celeste leaned against Icetales. "But, uhh, still don't burn yourself out. I stand behind that much."

“…I’ll make sure to chill out more often.” Icetales smiled and placed his head on the Absol’s shoulder, letting their furs brush against each other. “After all, I am an ice Ninetales.” He chuckled. “Chilling should be in my nature!”

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Celeste laughed back. "Sure, chill out."

He took a deep breath. There was more to say, but he wasn't sure how. "I was never in such a survival situation. I'm just... emotionally defensive. It was just easier to only invest in those who were close to me. Saved me having to worry about unpleasant sorts of people. It was easier not to worry about them. That's not to say I don't help people. I just... do it because it's the right thing to do, and not because I'm invested in them."

"I suppose the reason why doesn't really make a difference. I shouldn't get hung up about it." Celeste leaned his head back against Icetales'. "And I'll not judge you either, my... uhh... really close friend."

Cresselia92

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Partners
  1. ho-oh
  2. sneasel-nyula
  3. rayquaza-cress
  4. celebi-shiny
Icetales nodded in understanding, getting Celeste’s point of view. Yes, at times focusing on the people who were the closest to you was the best approach, especially during dire situations.

Sure, Icetales preferred to believe that the most people could be saved, but… well, he knew for experience that wasn’t always a possibility. Though, if they could keep the team safe, then the team could then keep plenty of people safe, too?

Hmm… Yes. That sounded like it.

“That shall suffice, Sir Celeste. As long as thou focus on thy friends and in keeping them safe with thy counter-attacks, then it shall be fine.” Icetales laughed with merry. “Just focus on doing what thou can do best, and I shall do the same! Promise!”

Icetales and Celeste stayed there, head on head, when the Ninetales shifted slightly and wrapped his tails around both of them.

“…Thanks. For listening to me. I very much appreciated that. Now I am feeling so much better.”

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
"No problem? I'm glad you're feeling better."

Celeste stared out into the stars above. He really did have a wonderful friendship with Icetales.

So, why didn't he feel fulfilled by it? Why not be happy with the way things were?

Celeste leaned into Icetales. He took a deep breath and thought about how pleasant it was to spend this night with his friend.

<><><><><>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom