• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Refracted Differences

Chapter 14: Reunion

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
The next morning I woke up, shivering. Looking around, I found that a small campsite had been set up around the overhang. Lots of Pokemon were hanging around. While I noted that many of them were the Marauders’ prisoners, I was more searching for Azur’s shining, silvery pelt. I spotted her walking between tents and fires, trying to make sure everyone was okay.

I made my way over to Azur, wanting to thank her for her bravery, and needing to talk to her. As I got closer, I could see that she was stressed and exhausted. Perhaps leading this group, alongside facing down Wind, had taken its toll on her. She turned to face me, visibly stressed out.

“Ah… Spark, I am glad you are safe. I found you lying under the outcropping and had the rescued Pokemon set up camp here. Are you hurt? Do you require assistance?”

I shook my head, the shock of yesterday’s unwelcome surprise bringing tears to my eyes. “Azur… I… I’m fine, but… but Lex…”

“Lex?” she asked, puzzled. “Who is this Lex?”

“O-Oh… Sorry…” I shook my head, trying to clear away some negative thoughts. “You know him as Wind… Wind’s… He’s…” I couldn’t bring myself to finish speaking, instead preferring to simply drop and cry at her paws. For the second time in my life, I’d lost him. This time, however, was worse. As much as I hated to admit it, I had killed Lex, my partner. In my attempt to subdue him, I’d gone too overboard… He still had so much left in him. And I… I’d snatched it all away...

I just laid there for what seemed like forever, my mind a storm of thoughts and emotions. And then… I felt her tails stroking my body. I could feel her trying to calm me down, but I was too stressed… too disturbed by what I’d done. And then… while I mourned, I could hear Azur’s soft voice.

“My dear Spark… hope is not yet lost.”

I looked up, eyes full of tears. “B-But I killed him, Azur! Lex meant everything to me… I swore to protect him!”

She licked my head. “Spark… For many Pokemon, death is but another obstacle. Indeed… There are Pokemon out there that practice what is known as Grass Magic.”

“I… I’m afraid I don’t follow, Azur… It’s over. My future’s… gone.” I was breaking down again, wishing I could have been in his place.

Azur brushed my body softly. “Perhaps it is currently destroyed. But it will not be gone forever.” She paused to help me to my feet. “Grass Magic specializes in manipulating life and nature. If we find the Grass Master, then I am sure that we may be able to resurrect Wind.”

Resurrect… Wind? But… It couldn’t be possible. If there are non-legendary Pokemon who can revive others, then wouldn’t they be more prevalent in society? Especially with all of the newly-hatched that don’t make it, and all the unlucky young Pokemon… I had a hard time believing that any Pokemon could resurrect the dead.

I guess Azur must have seen my face, because the Ninetales smiled. “My mentor once told me that there is always something to be hopeful about, no matter the circumstances. And I believe you learned as much in your adventures?”

I sighed. I was acting the same way I had back when Lex had first disappeared… But Azur was right. The Ninetales’ warm gaze washed over my body, and I found the strength to get up. “Alright… Azur, let’s do it. We’ll find this ‘Grass Master.’”

She nodded. “We shall take the day to allow you to rest.”

I shook my head. “With all due respect, Azur… I would prefer to have Lex back at my side sooner.”

“You are exhausted, Spark. As your friend and healer, I will not let you go any further until you rest.”

I relented. Azur was right. I might not realize it due to my emotions, but my body was likely exhausted and worn out. It was in no shape to keep moving. Not like Lex would be going anywhere. “Alright, Azur… We’ll take the day off. But we leave first thing in the morning. I don’t want to wait any longer than necessary.”

“Very well.” Azur walked off. Sighing, I went back to Lex’s side. His magnificent fur had dulled. I snuggled in close to him. He was cold… I closed my eyes, doing as Azur commanded.

“Gonna meet this Grass Master, Lex… Gonna bring you back…”

The Jolteon awoke the next morning, within a lab. Lex was laying on a hospital bed. His breathing slow, but steady. She blinked. Looking around, the room was very personalized. Painted Yellow, with blue lightning bolts along the lengths. Nearby was a small buffet. It contained many meals worth of various foods from around the globe. The smell wafted over to the Jolteon, enticing her.

She made for the buffet. However, the room began to change around her. Where once were walls, now were stone windows. A caged door too, appeared in front. She sniffed the air. The familiar scent of the Shaymin was wafting through the open windows.

“Why, if it ain’t the troublemaker. Not trying to escape today?”

She found her eyes being forced upwards. Jeering at her from outside the bars was a Kricketune.

“Glad to see it. Means you’ve accepted your fate.” Kricketune shoved a small bowl through the food hole. “Eat up now, wouldn’t want ya weak on the day of your execution!”

As soon as the Kricketune left, the Jolteon’s body turned. She didn’t make it do that. It got onto its feet and looked up at the windows. Foolishly, they were left wide open. Two small, orange paws grasped at the grooves in the bricks. One of them snagged a loose stone, and held onto it. She started to pull herself up, scrabbling at the wall. Slowly, the Jolteon climbed the wall.

The sun was shining through the window. The wind gently blew inside, ruffling her fur. Kids were playing in the street. A stray pebble was kicked her way. She caught it, and tossed it back at the kid. Oops. Maybe she shouldn’t have done that. Her body pulled itself onto the windowsill. Pokemon screamed in horror. She heard them, and wanted to duck back inside. Her body refused. Her paws grabbed the roof. A clang was heard. She grunted. Pushing off from the window, she jumped onto the rooftop.

The town was splattered with red buildings and green plants. The lab stood at the edge, distinct as ever. She made her way towards the lab. Birds started to close in on her. Her paws created a pair of water boomerangs, and tossed them. The Swellow dodged. She leapt a gap between roofs. The sight of a lone silver Ninetales caught her attention. Seeing a flock of Swellow approaching, her body leapt down.

Gritting her teeth, she blocked out the Kricketune’s lullaby, and ran after the Ninetales. The chase led her down the backstreets. She lost sight of the Ninetales. She heard a clang. The officers were near. Her body took off running. Pokemon dove out of her way as she reached the main plaza. A blockade prevented her from going straight through. Her paws flowed with water. She jumped, and jetted across with water. A silver pelt dashed in front of her. She crashed into it. They tumbled into the wall.

“Well well… Looks like you fell for the trap.”

Azur nudged me awake. “Spark… it’s noon. We must set out.”

“Ugh… What happened…?” I asked. “I had this weird dream…”

“Is that it?” She gazed at me. “You must have been more exhausted than I believed. You slept through Exploud’s tantrum.”

“Oh… No surprises there. I slept through Loudred in the mornings during the later days of my guild apprenticeship.” I chuckled, recalling the memories from those days. “Chatot gave me an earful the first few times!”

She smiled. “You seem to be in good spirits now. I am glad to see that much.”

“I guess getting good rest is the best medicine.” I smiled back. “Thank you for forcing me to stop.”

“I am glad you listened. One thing that I have noted is that you always seem to rush into situations without concern for your own well-being.” Azur stared right into my eyes. “And I believe that nearly cost you your life. You may be the Lightning Runner, but even you have limits.” She rested her tails on my back. “Promise me you won’t over-exert yourself again.”

I glanced back at Lex. “I can’t make that promise as far as he’s concerned, Azur.”

Azur sighed. “I see. Then I will stand by your side to ensure you do not succumb to your own desires.”

I licked her fondly. “I don’t see why not. Oh, and uh… That reminds. Azur, I’ve got something to ask you.”

Azur blinked. “You have a question for me?”

“Of course. I’ve been thinking about this for some time, following your bravery during Lex’s rampage.”

“I see. And, what, might I ask, is it?”

I swallowed my tongue. “Azur… Would you… Like to be the third member of our team?”

She looked at me confused. “Was I not already?”

“Uh, well… I’ve kind of been treating you like a regular recruit. And… I don’t feel good about that.”

She frowned. “A regular recruit?”

“I… Well… I always imagined Lex and I as being a duo.”

“I appreciate the honesty, Spark. I shall accept this preposition.”

I rubbed against her, purring. Thanks to Azur, the future was once again looking bright.

“Let us set off. I am told we have quite a long way to go as of yet.”

I looked behind Azur as she said that. Pokemon of all shapes and sizes were already packing up the campsite. There were a good… two hundred, perhaps? I shuddered. The Marauders certainly had quite the collection.

Azur moved to pick up Lex, since we weren’t leaving him behind. As I had nothing else to do, I helped. With our combined strength, we lifted him up and draped him across my back again.

“What about the rest of our group, Azur?”

“They say they will be returning to their homes now. It has been a long time for many of them.”

“I understand. If I’d been captive for as long as they were, my first thought upon freedom would be about home.”

Azur nodded. “My home was destroyed many centuries ago. But I hope to create a new one.”

I smiled back. “And I hope we can help with that, Azur.”

Azur rubbed against my body, purring. “I know you will.”

I took a step towards the exit. “But first, we need to move.” I looked at the afternoon sun. “Onwards, to Redcliff Town!”

Chapter 15: The Meeting

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
Within the cliffs of crimson colour lies a land where the dead return to the living; a warrior of lightning, aided by a mage of crystal shall arrive.

He who conquered mortality awaits. A lost soul is found. The warrior returns.

The exile decides the fate of worlds. His legacy legendary, his legacy forgotten.

Master Aligo’s last prophecy, heard only by Grass Master Arboros, and myself, the Crystal Master. After deciphering a fair portion, I set out on my way to visit Arboros. Team Tsunami was well on their way here, so I felt it prudent to share my findings with the Master before they arrived.

I shivered. I always hated Redcliffe Town. The buildings were banal, and the denizens too boisterous. And the wind always had a slight chill; a poor combination for my meager pelt. Nevertheless, I navigated through the alleys of the town. Confusing, indeed, but Oculus guided my steps in search of his laboratory.

I knew exactly what I was looking for. Master Arboros always had a fond penchant for arboreous terraces. He brought trees to life in remote deserts, and on forgotten islands. He always selected the Willow… Strong, decadent… yet flexible. A tree perfect for the Grass Master.

An intriguing exchange caught my attention. I directed my eyes and ears to observe, noting a Buizel, and the town sheriff, Kricketune.

“Gah! Lemme go, you slimy cricket!”

“You’re a criminal, and you will be tried as one, Buizel. You cannot evade justice.”

The Buizel struggled against the sheriff’s grip, though it was clear he was no match for the larger Pokemon. It continued to drag him through the streets. A few merchants threw some angry looks at him.

A few moments later, the two were out of sight and I continued my promenade. I noticed a few Pokemon throw me some wary glances. Curious. A Pokemon of my standing was usually welcomed into a civilization.As it was not my intent to linger, however, I continued on my way.

After some time, I saw myself looking at a structure covered in flora. Master Arboros was surely within its walls.

“Yahoo!”

Or not. Looking up, I could see him flying around, looping and banking… I sighed.

“Master Arboros!” I yelled. “I have arrived!”

“Yay! You made it!” He came in for a quick landing. “I welcome you!”

“Yes. It was a long trip.”

“It must be! Say… why didn’t you just teleport here?”

I stared at him, unblinking, as the tiny deer rolled around. “As much as it may have been convenient, Arboros, my research in the prophecy, which would appear to focus around this area, I cannot afford to miss anything.”

“The prophecy! I got it figured out!” he blurted.

“Really…? Well I suppose that makes my visit completely pointless, then.”

He jumped up and flew around my head. “Not at all, Master! C’mon, Let’s go inside before you freeze to death!”

“Arboros!”

He landed. “Sorry! I forgot you don’t like me flying around ya!” He backflipped, landing impressively on his hind legs. “I just find it so fun!”

I sighed. Fun. The word’s meaning had been lost to me for nine centuries. “Master Arboros, this is a matter of serious concern. Please, try and compose yourself.”

“You’re no fun…” he grumbled. “I suppose I can be serious for you…” He shook himself, before leading the way to his lab. “So… here about the prophecy, or are you here ‘cause you see something in my future?”

“Master Arboros, you know the only reason I looked into the future was to find a suitable apprentice.”

The Shaymin continued to fly around the room. “But you didn’t use it for that purpose alone!”

“...It was the only way to ensure he’d actually be my apprentice, Arboros.”

He landed in a chair. “So you say! But you enjoyed using it!”

“Perhaps. We are straying from my intended purpose, Master.”

He let out a sigh far louder than a Shaymin should have been able to. “You and your business, Master. You gotta learn to unwind a bit! We got all week!”

“We don’t, actually. As we speak, Team Tsunami is on their way here.”

His eyes popped. “Wait… That Team Tsunami!?” He grinned, and took into the air again. “Yaay! I get to meet them at long last! We’re gonna be great friends!”

I watched him as he did his aerobatics. Impressive, of course, but distracting. “Master Arboros, please… I ask you to calm down.”

“Oh c’mon! You drop the news that the famous Team Tsunami’s coming to visit me, and you expect me not to be ecstatic!?” He continued his aerobatics. “Don’t kill the mood!”

I blinked. “Wind is dead.”

He did more complex aerobatics, grinning wider. Why did I think that would work on him…?

“Then I’ll just bring him back to life! Easy task!”

“Right… I suppose that is settled.” I looked back at the door. “I should be leaving, since you appear to have it all under your command.”

“Oh! Does Spark know about her thing yet? I can absolutely help her along!”

“I do not believe Jolteon is currently aware that she is a Seer. And it is in our best interests that we do not tell her, Master Arboros.” I replied. “I must warn you, Arboros, that if you mistreat them in any way… You shall answer to me, Grass Master or not.”

He looped in the air, before perching on his chandelier. “I’d never hurt heroes! You worry too much!” He beamed. “Loosen up a bit! Enjoy life!”

I was about to exit the lab, but I caught the increasing traces of Crystal Magic in the laboratory. Someone was arriving. I quickly turned back around. I was greeted with the sight of a swirling portal opening. I frowned. The style differed from mine, and I would never travel through time, anyways. That meant there were only two possibilities. It was either Celebi, or…

“Yay! Another visitor!” Arboros yelled, doing a quick loop. “I wonder who it could be!”

I simply watched in silence as the portal reached completion. A cloaked figure, with emerald eyes shining from the hood. Despite the obstacle, I recognized the figure immediately.

“Greetings. Master Arboros, Master Astrali. I trust you’ve kept well?” he asked, taking a seat with a book in his paws.

“Master Asren. You are aware of--”

“Yes, Master Astrali, I am.You were quite clear during my instruction.” He gazed right into my eyes. “But given the current situation, I felt now would be an appropriate time to visit.”

I growled. “And what if you were to be--”

“Master Astrali, I assure you that we have a few hours at the very least before the two of us must leave.”

“Well I’m glad you’re here! Yay! More fun!”

Asren chuckled. “There will be plenty of time for fun after I complete my intended purpose, Master Arboros.”

“Yay!”

Asren cleared his throat. “Arboros, it is absolutely imperative that you tell Jolteon of her nature.”

“What!?” I yelped. “Asren, telling her would go against my orders! Things need to happen naturally!”

He glared at me, quickly opening his book. “I knew you would say that,” he replied, quickly scribbling something down. “But if you recall, had Grovyle sat back and let natural actions take course, then the planet’s paralysis never would have been prevented.” He shut his book. “But due to his refusal to let that happen, the world lives on today.”

I glared at him. “That was different. The life of the entire planet was endangered, Master Asren. He was doing what needed to be done.”

“And if I were to go back and prevent Grovyle from saving the world, Astrali, then I would be unable to go back and prevent Grovyle from saving the world, as I would not have existed to go back and prevent Grovyle from saving the world. It is a similar concept here.”

“I don’t follow, Master.” I sat back down. “What you have described is a paradox. How could Arboros telling Jolteon about her nature possibly prevent a paradox?”

“It is not the fact that Master Arboros is telling her about her nature that creates a paradox, Astrali, but rather the fact that I am here telling Arboros to tell her. This event, in my present timeline, has already come to pass. Meaning that in order to preserve the outcome of my past, I must come here to tell Arboros to tell Jolteon of her nature.”

Arboros and I simply stared at him. I had always known Asren to be of sound mind. To hear him speak so cryptically was a surprise. “Master Asren… What are you saying?”

He stared me directly in the eyes, his emerald gaze giving me the shivers. “Should Jolteon not learn of her destiny as a Seer at this moment in time, I will never undergo the healing necessary to stand here right now.” He didn’t break his gaze. “Jolteon must know, Master.”

“I see… Master Asren. I will trust your judgement.” I nodded at Arboros. “You may tell Jolteon of her nature, Master Arboros.”

He looped in the air. “Yaaay!”

Asren chuckled. “And that concludes my business here.” He stashed his book away. Following that, he turned away. “I should be returning to my time now. Arboros… I’ll be seeing you very soon.”

“Looking forward to it!” Arboros yelped, excitedly. “And we’re gonna have fun!”

Chapter 16: Interlogue

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
After several hours of walking, Redcliffe Town finally appeared over the horizon. As such, we decided to set up camp for a bit. It was less of an overnight camp, since I was quite insistent on reaching Redcliffe today. Instead, it was really more of a food stop. Azur was doing the cooking today; I didn’t feel up to it more because I knew Lex wouldn’t be able to enjoy it.

The plains around us didn’t really have tall grass; allowed visibility for everything around us. It was all barren, with a tree here, a bush there… but overall, it was just empty. Almost too empty, if you asked me. Oh well. At least it was a pretty sight. I’d have to show Lex once our task was accomplished.

Speaking of the jackal, I’d laid his body down near the shade of the only tree nearby. At least he hadn’t started to stink yet. I looked at him. Despite being dead, he still looked so peaceful. Almost as if he were just sleeping. A smile crossed my face as I watched his body, ears perked. Although the thought to check his pulse crossed my mind, I was more concerned with keeping an ear out for any unnatural noises. No more ambushes on this trip; one’s enough for us.

Thank you…

I suddenly looked around, though saw nothing. Looking back at Lex’s body, I noticed something strange. His bag was open. I growled, having been distracted by the wind. There was no response. At least, not at first. Soon, the bag began to flutter, as if being manipulated. I approached it cautiously. Off to the side, there was a slight distortion of multi-coloured swirls. A crystal blue tail seemed to be disappearing into it.

“Spark? Is everything alright? You appear to be-”

“Azur,” I interrupted. “I thought I saw something… Lex’s bag was fluttering, even though the wind isn’t strong enough to lift it even slightly.” I glanced back at the vixeness. “And then there were swirling colours nearby, with a weirdly coloured tail disappearing into it…”

She looked back at me. “What colour was the tail?”

“Uh… I think it was… crystal blue…?”

She seemed to be speechless for a moment. “Crystal… Blue…?”

“Azur?”

The silver Ninetales turned back to the pot. “I will explain another time. Dinner is ready.”

I refused to sit down. “No. Azur, we’re a team. Whatever you know about this, I need to know, too.” I glared at her. “This isn’t a matter of privacy, it’s a matter of trust.”

She was silent for a long time. “... Very well, Spark. I shall share everything of importance with you. But may we please enjoy our meal during our discussion? I am rather hungry.”

“Alright. I will admit I’m hungry too.” I stepped forward and helped myself to the meal. At least it tasted good, so I’d be enjoying myself.

“Now then… where shall I begin?” she asked, watching me take my portion. “You are aware that I was the apprentice to one of the greatest Crystal Wizards of my time?”

I nodded. “You mentioned it before we left Snowfield.”

“His name was Espan. He took me in when I was a small Vulpix, and he taught me everything I know about Magic. He told me that I was his prized apprentice -- That is to say, the greatest apprentice he ever had. My talent for Crystal Magic was beyond anything Espan had seen. As such, I was sent out to visit with the Masters of each Continental Magic.”

“And Water was your second strongest, yeah? Otherwise you wouldn’t have felt comfortable healing me.”

Azur met my eyes. “Correct. While I soared above many expectations in Crystal and Water Magic, many of the others were unreachable for me. I could never work with Sand Magic, and Mist was similarly difficult.”

“And what of Grass Magic, then?” I asked, genuinely curious about it. “You haven’t mentioned Grass Magic yet.”

“Nor have I mentioned Air Magic, Spark. Following my failure to learn Mist Magic, my master called me back to Crystallius. I was never given the chance to train under Master Arboros or Master Aerocane.”

“And that would explain why you chose not to resurrect Lex yourself.”

She shook her head. “Had I learned Grass Magic, I likely would still have chosen not to resurrect Wind.”

I cocked my head. Surely she would’ve been able to do it, as she did to me.

“I see your confusion. There is quite a simple reason, Spark.” She took a deep breath. “Resurrection is a difficult process. Were I to work, and were I to mess up, we would not be sitting here. The reasoning is because if resurrection is used, but does not succeed, a creature known simply as a Necrovie would be created. I would never risk unleashing Necrovie upon our world, and never with our friend.”

“Yikes. That sounds… Terrible,” I replied, shook. Necrovie? Clearly, that meant something to do with the dead. If Azur wasn’t comfortable performing the ceremony even if she had known how to do so… Perhaps it was for the best that we were seeking out this ‘Grass Master’.

Azur caught my attention with her tails, moving them in a circular motion before laying them in front of her. “What caught my attention was your description of the portal and tail. Combined with the overflowing Magic energy… There is no doubt. My master paid us a visit without our notice.”

“But… Why? Azur, he doesn’t have any reason to visit us. And if that were the case, then why not speak with us directly?”

She shrugged. “He was often cryptic, even to me. I must wonder, however, how he has lived for so long.”

I grimaced. “Trust me, Azur, that’s just one of the many mysteries I’m noticing.” Sparks flew off my body as I growled. “Like who the hell the Pokemon behind you is.”

___

The Snowfield Sea Chamber. Many times had I visited the area. Today was no different. There was a purpose behind my visit. A purpose involving a great white avian creature. He was not very fond of me, though I commanded his respect by way of protecting his home following his expulsion from the legendary pantheon.

“GO AWAY.”

“I am afraid that we have business to discuss, Lugia. Your role in these events is not yet completed.”

“I GAVE AURORA A REASON TO JOIN TEAM TSUNAMI. I RESCUED HER FROM THE MARAUDERS, AND I LEFT THE FIELD OPEN FOR HER TO HELP BOTH OF HER NEW FRIENDS. WHAT MORE MUST I DO BEFORE YOU WILL LEAVE ME ALONE!?”

“It is true, Lugia, that you have played your part wonderfully thus far. And yet…” I closed my eyes, allowing my third sight to take over. “I see you are greatly pained by the acts I requested of you. I extend my apologies.”

“CUT TO THE CHASE, MAGE. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SPEAK WITH YOU FURTHER.”

I lay down near the door. “An act which is completely understandable. I ask of you one more purpose, Lugia. One that shall surely restore you to the pantheon.”

Lugia growled softly. “THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT ME BACK.”

“So you believe. And yet, it was due to your actions that you were expelled, no? Therefore, it must be because of your actions that you are restored.” My tail flicked, and a large concentration of magical energy gathered around me.

“AND WHAT WOULD THESE ACTIONS BE, CRYSTAL MASTER? IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG SINCE I WAS EXPELLED FROM THE PANTHEON.”

I smirked. “It is rather simple, Lugia. You already know what you must do.”

He glared at me. “SO YOU SAY.”

“In time, my words will become clear to you. Until then, Lugia, I shall take my leave.”

Chapter 17: Marauder

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
Azur yelped as a thorn pricked her right as I growled. She scrambled behind me, hastily covering the wound. Looking over the intruder, there were clear roses on both sides, although the colours weren’t obvious due to the coverings the Pokemon, likely a Roselia or a Roserade, was wearing. I backed away slowly, not wanting to battle. Our intruder continued to approach though, prompting me to discharge a large burst of electricity, which unfortunately didn’t deter them.

“Yes, I’m aware that you’re scary. You’re the one who killed the Lucario that killed my leader. I must thank you for that, you know. I’d been planning to get rid of Her Roguishness for a while… Although I am furious that you killed everyone else.”

“If I’m so scary, Marauder, why don’t you run before I kill you?”

There was a soft chuckle. “Because I know you won’t kill me. You’re already feeling guilty enough about killing him that you won’t kill again.”

I froze. This Pokemon was right, I didn’t have the guts to kill her. I actively sought to avoid killing Pokemon. It wasn’t right to cut Pokemon off from a long and fulfilling life. And even the outlaws… They all deserved a second chance. Drowzee was a shining example of an outlaw who turned himself around. If only he was here right now…

“Hit the nail on the head, eh? Hehehe… Then this shouldn’t be tough. Are you prepared to die?” our intruder snarled, ripping off her cloak. Standing in front of me was a Roselia. She had black roses, and a menacing grimace. A few broken thorns were sticking out, giving off a threatening look. She laughed maniacally. “Let’s dance.”

I growled. “Azur, back off.” My fur spiked, razor edges shining under the sun. I was going to hold back in this fight; I didn’t fight to kill after all. I jumped back from her initial few blows, before leaping over a set of vines. If I couldn’t hit her, I’d just wear her out. As a Jolteon, it’d be a long time before my energy supply ran dry. I could keep this up for hours.

“Heh. You can’t even bring yourself to counterattack? I was expecting more backbone out of the one who killed her own partner!” Roselia spat, launching a flurry of leaves at me. “This will be easy.” She smirked. “Ah, how I’ll love it… being called Her Roguishness… or perhaps Roselia the First… Or maybe Roselia the Slaughterer…”

“You’ll have to rebuild your group first,” I retorted. “And I don’t intend to be defeated here.” My fur crackled loudly. “You’d best leave while you still can walk.” I wouldn’t fight her unless I had to. And if that were to happen… I glanced up at the gathering clouds. It’d be on my terms. My body shuddered. Holding back wasn’t going to be easy… The power coursed through my paws, but I didn’t strike.

“And once I do? We’ll be unstoppable. You know why? Because both you and that Lucario are gonna be dead. I think I’ll take that lovely vixen as my prize when I’m done with you~”

That set Azur off. I’ve never seen such a sight. I was flung to the side by the sheer strength of her Blizzard. Looking over, it was impossible to tell what was going on. I could see rose thorns being flung in every direction, and tails dancing within the snow. Screeches of pain sounded out, but they didn’t sound like Azur’s. Pulling myself off the ground I walked back into the Blizzard, only to be swept off my feet and tossed away again. A blue rose landed next to me, followed by a deafening scream.

The Blizzard didn’t let up, though. I shivered at the thought of going in again. Brushing off my fears, I got up again. There was no other choice, I couldn’t let Azur fight alone! I roared loudly. Lightning struck the area. I leapt onto it, praying it would protect me from the Blizzard. The electricity coursed through me. Forging ahead, I reached the heart of the snowstorm… to find absolutely nothing. Azur and the Roselia were nowhere to be seen. My tail picked up on an incoming energy mass, and I leapt up. There was a loud boom as that energy collided with the ground. I winced.

The Blizzard started to weaken as I saw a hint of red fly by. The deafening screams of pain started to die down at the same time, as the snow started turning shades of green. My instincts told me to get out of there. The snowstorm prevented that from being possible. So instead, I tucked myself in, and called upon a shield of lightning to protect me. I heard a few zaps as mystery objects hit my protective shield. Then, there was a single POP!

“Haaa… Haaa… I have not exerted myself like that for 600 years…”

I peeked my eyes open. The area was now devoid of a snowstorm. In its place, though… Several leaves were scattered about. A blue rose laid a few meters away, fully intact. The red rose though… That one was completely shredded. It looked more like the confetti I used for Lex’s birthday. I dared to look around more. The clearing was covered in bits of green plant substance.

Oh no…

“Ah. You are safe, Spark. I am glad.”

“Well… yeah, I’m okay. But what about Roselia!? What did you do!?”

Azur stared at me unflinchingly. “I tore her apart. She threatened you, my friend.”

“If that was all, you wouldn’t have backed down when I told you to!”

She continued to gaze into my eyes. “And she insulted me. She wished to kill my friends and turn me into a mere trophy. A most disgraceful position.”

“And you tore her into pieces!?”

“Is that so hard to believe? Ice is a dangerous substance.”

“Azur… I… There’s a reason I was trying to hold back!”

The Ninetales turned away. “I know. But what has happened has happened. There is no use dwelling on it. We should continue our journey.”

I sighed. “Right… That’s a good viewpoint. No use dwelling on the past…”

“The past holds many secrets. But the traumatic parts, we are better off living without.” She glanced back at me with a smile. “As soon as Wind is back, I can begin working with him on that.”

I nodded gratefully, getting the jackal back on my back. He was still just as heavy as ever… Although that would seem to be a good thing right now. I looked over at Azur. She was cleaning up what remained of the temporary kitchen. Most of my cooking ware was broken… I frowned. Those had been gifts from my partner. They’d be difficult to replace. And right now, they were what I had of him.

“Redcliffe Town is not far out. We will arrive by nightfall.”

“In that case, we should get a move on.”

The vixen nodded. “I believe it is my turn to lead?”

“Right behind you, Azur.”

___

I gasped. All of a sudden, it came to me. The vision the Mists of Fate had shown Windrunner during our visit… It was clear. I quickly activated my Passage of Time, with one goal in mind. Windrunner. The intent was to bring the Lucario back to the past to share the news with him.

I searched through the waves of time, searching for that warrior. Despite finding him everywhere, my mind was looking for the best instance. Middle of battle? Absolutely not. The distraction would be too much. Flying to rescue his partner? He’d lost his mind already; bringing Wind from that point would be inviting disaster. Unfortunately, there didn’t seem to be a good point in time to summon the Lucario. At least... not yet.

I sighed, and turned back to my desk. On it lay an open book, currently titled The Spacial Chronicles. Perhaps if I were to simply continue his writings… The opportunity would present itself. My psychic powers picked up a quill and placed it on the parchment.

The sweltering heat of the volcano’s caldera threatened to burn the Chikorita alive, though the Cyndaquil felt right at home. The dark sable walls of the nearby cave, however, engulfed all light that entered it. He shivered. They had chased Darkrai to this unforgiving location. If they were to bring an end to his nefarious plots, they would need to descend to the depths of the Dark Crater.

He glanced at his two companions. Both of them shared the same determined expression. This was it.

I stopped writing, and frowned. The words just weren’t coming to me today. This had been a recurring problem for the past few days. I turned away from my desk again. My mind was a whirl of thoughts, though I eventually settled on touring my school. I was still looking for my perfect apprentice, after all. My ideal apprentice was someone who was capable and eager to learn about the Crystal Magics. A few students showed great promise. I only hoped they would be good fits to my… eccentricities.

The wind immediately greeted me as I stepped onto my balcony. It was a welcome change from the usual heat and stuffiness of the office. Skarmory flew in the distance, visible against the great sheets of ice within the Crepuscule Peaks. It was one of the winning sights for my home, and precisely the reason I built Crystallius College with the finest view.

A small noise caught my attention. Nearby, my precious authentic Crepusian Vase had shifted slightly. Then it shifted again. A little white paw came into view as my vase nearly fell off the table. I prepared to catch it with my psychic powers. At the same time, I began making a list of Pokemon who could possibly have snuck all the way up to my balcony, unauthorized.

None seemed to fit the description of the paw. How curious. That left the big question. Who… or rather what, is it?

Chapter 18: Redcliffe, At Last!

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
Redcliffe Town. I allowed a small smile to cross my face. At long last, here we were. Compared to Treasure Town, it wasn’t nearly as welcoming. As opposed to being colourful, it was all bland. A lot of red and brown colours. It also had a bit of a rougher style to it. More edged and jagged, as opposed to Treasure Town’s more refined look. Not super welcoming, I’ll admit.

I glanced at my vixen partner. She’d guided me all the way here, but she was visibly shaking, before collapsing from Lex’s weight. She’d carried him most of the way as I recovered my strength. I helped her get Lex off of her back, and she lay down near a somewhat large rock. “It is your turn to carry him again, Spark.”

I nodded. It would also give Azur a chance to clean up, something we both desperately needed. I was willing to wait longer, but I knew how much Azur loved her looks. Without much worry, I slowly got myself under the jackal, lifting him off the ground.“So what are we looking for with this Grass Master? How will we know when we’ve found them?”

Aurora shrugged. “I rarely ever met my time’s Grass Master, Spark. While I remember his name it is unlikely he would still be around. Therefore… It would be simpler to merely make our way through town.”

“Oh.” I walked into town, scanning it as I went. It seemed like we’d entered the marketplace Placed close to the entrance of town to ward off travelers from Inner Redcliffe, no doubt. Too bad it was Inner Redcliffe we wanted, as I could see an out-of-place building over that way. I started making my way in that direction. Even if it wasn’t the home of the Grass Master, it was a better place to look for him. I got some nasty glares from the residents as I walked away from the marketplace.

Aurora shivered next to me. I stole a quick glance at her. She looked back at me. “I feel like I am being judged, Spark. Do they not like us?”

“Redcliffe Town is the last bastion against the Marauders in this area,” I explained. “So most outsiders coming here were likely Marauders. It’s only natural they’d be unsettled.”

“I see. It feels like a miserable existence…” The vixen pushed into me. “I am scared, Spark. I have never been around so many Pokemon…”

I purred to try and calm her down. It was understandable for her to be scared. First time in an unfamiliar place, and especially after 900 years. Not to mention all of these strange Pokemon staring us down. Not exactly super comforting. I hastened my pace. The sooner we were away from the public, the better.

“Now just hold it right there, pardner,” a voice rang out from behind me. “Yer strangers here, with a dead body no less. Ain’t exactly very pleasant, to say the least. ‘Fraid I’m gonna have to arrest yas on the ground of murder.”

I paused, exasperated. “Not if you value your life. We’re looking for the Grass Master after discovering the body of my friend. I want him back, and I’m not going to let you stop me.”

A chuckle rang out. “Is that it? Seems like a shifty story, bein’ honest. Regardless… I can’t prove it was yas who killed ‘em. Ya can go… but I’ll be keepin’ a close eye on yas, understand?”

“Yes, we understand, sheriff,” I replied venomously, my fur pricked. “Now please stop holding use up so we can find our Grass Master.”

“Hmmph. Yer goin’ the wrong way, if that’s the case. Turn left here, then turn right after the third red building. That’s all the help yer getting from me.”

“Thank you, we needed that,” I called back, before turning left. Almost immediately, my nose was greeted with a familiar scent. Otter… My jowls watered. Otter was absolutely delicious raw… I fought back the urge to hunt it. We were in a civilized place, and I was trying to give up otter meat anyways. Hard to catch, not good cooked… Variety of reasons.

A flash of white ran by me quickly. Azur returned shortly after, a little upset. “I am sorry… I do not know what came over me.”

“Instincts,” I responded. “It can be hard to fight them. I don’t blame you.”

“Oh… I am ashamed…”

“Nothing to be ashamed of, Azur. Now let’s keep going! We still need to find the Grass Master!”

_____

Eventually, we made it in front of the large, green building in the back. It made the rest of Redcliffe Town look very primitive and rough in comparison. It was... gorgeous. Two tall trees of a deep green shade stood at the entrance to the lab, with a line of similar trees decorating the wooded terrace, standing out against the rusty colour of the surrounding cliffs. After seeing all the flora, I frowned and turned my attention to my map. The Redcliffe Plains were a smaller portion of the Witherwood Savannah. Who knew? The flora was still not native to this area.

As we admired the building’s beauty, a small red and white deer Pokemon bounded up to us, leaving the doors swinging wildly behind it. “You made it! Yay!”

Azur raised a brow. “You… were expecting us?”

“Yep! A good friend of mine told me!” Shaymin beamed. “And now you’re here!”

“Unfortunately…” the vixen replied before me, “we do not have time to play with you. Our friend is dead, and we seek to hurry him to the Grass Master. Point us in his direction, if you would.”

The Shaymin leapt into the air, before looping around Azur. “Aurora! It’s been so long!” You look amazing!”

I frowned. “Azur… You know this Pokemon?”

Shaymin perched on my head. “I’m Master Arboros! Aurora’s an old acquaintance!”

I blinked. “So… you’re over 900 years old, then?”

Shaymin snickered. “My age doesn’t matter! I’m ancient! Oh! Oh! Let me tell you some stories!”

I glanced over at Aurora. For only the second time in our short time together, this normally composed vixen wasn’t so composed. In this instance, she seemed to be rather exasperated. “Please do not…”

Arboros grinned. “Aw, c’mon, Aurora! It’s been 600 years! Surely you aren’t still embarrassed by the memories!”

She grimaced. “If you are the same Arboros of my time, I would be surprised if you even remember them. It was a long time ago.”

The Shaymin leapt into the air, the force of his takeoff causing me to stumble. “Same old Aurora, I see! Good to know you haven’t changed a bit in these centuries!”

Aurora frowned. “You do remember.”

I sighed. “Look… we have a simple matter to discuss with you, Arboros. It’s about--”

“Tell me later!” The Shaymin interrupted. “Let me show you around Redcliffe!”

“We don’t have ti--”

Arboros grinned, landing on me again. “I know! You’re here for a resurrection; I can do that anytime! Give me a dead body or a skeleton; it makes no difference to me! So come on! Drop the body and let’s go!”

I blinked. “With all due respect, Arboros--”

“And I will get you your friend back! But I can help you with so much more! C’mon! We’re going out!”

Reluctantly, I moved to one of the trees, and shook Lex onto the ground. To draw as little suspicion as possible, I looked around for something to cover him up with. While I was looking around, roots erupted from the ground, encasing the jackal. I leapt backwards in shock, snarling. They pulled away shortly after, and Lex was gone.

“Hoo hee haa haa haaa haaaaaa!” I whipped around to see the tiny deer rolling around. “Oh man, that was priceless! I wish you could’ve seen your face!”

“Grr…” I started treading the ground, creating a small ditch where I was standing. “What have you done with him!?”

Arboros grinned. “I didn’t do anything with him, except send him to storage for safekeeping! Now no Pokemon will stumble across him and take his body away!”

“...You couldn’t just take him inside?”

Azur sighed. “Master Arboros has always been a quirky Pokemon. He quite enjoyed his little… escapades, even back when I was in training… Or so my master told me.”

The Shaymin snickered. “Ah man, you don’t have to be such a spoilsport about it, ya know! We’re here to have fun!”

“Fun…” I echoed. Was this guy delusional, or something? Life isn’t fun. There are parts of it that are, and lots of activities. I wouldn’t consider worrying for my partner to be one of them.

“That’s right! Fun! It’s the fundamental part of living your life to its fullest!”

I glanced at Azur, who merely made a shrugging motion. “It is best that we go along with his… escapades for now, if we hope to secure his assistance.”

Arboros grinned widely. For a small Pokemon, he was certainly pretty energetic. Kinda cute too, I begrudgingly admitted. I could tell arguing with him wasn’t going to get anywhere. “Alright, Shaymin, you win. We’ll go explore the town. But Lex is at the top of my priority list afterwards, understand?”

Absolutely! Provided… Nothing unexpected happens…”

Azur growled. “I do not like the way you said that, Master. It implies that this area is home to strange and spontaneous phenomena.”

The Shaymin looked deep in thought, as if mentally replying to her statement. A few vines sprouted from his body. Arboros snickered after a few moments, sending the vines in Azur’s general direction. Yelping, the vixen jumped away from them.

“Hahahaha! Arceus, Aurora, you’re so fun to mess with!” Arboros snickered. “There’s another possibility, you know…”

Azur gave him a blank look. “Yes, I suppose there is. Now, shall we finally get going, Master?”

Arboros recalled his vines. “Yes! Let’s go have some fun! We can look at the garden, the cliffs… and we’ll stop by with a visit to the prison and visit Sheriff Felix!”

I narrowed my eyes at the last one. “The prison, Shaymin? Why would we visit there?”

“Please… call me Arboros, Jolteon!” the Shaymin blurted. “As for the prison trip… You’re here because your friend’s dead, yeah? Am I correct in assuming it was the Krillian Marauders?”

“Uh…” I blanked.

“Yes, that is correct, Master,” Azur answered. “Perhaps it is true that they were not the direct cause of death… But he was killed as a result of their actions.” She shot a comforting glance in my direction. I thanked her silently.

I guess the Grass Master noticed, because he looked at me in that same thoughtful way. Almost like… he knew? I shrugged it off. Surely it was just my imagination.

Arboros leapt into the air again, zooming off towards the center of town. I looked over at Azur. “...He’s rather excitable, isn’t he?”

“Apparently he is. I do not remember him being so… excitable in the past.”

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. “I see. I hope he’s who he says he is…”

Azur nodded. “He most certainly is. Now, let us go catch up with him. We do not want to be alone here. It is… rather creepy.”

“Yes, his lab does give off that sense. Let’s scramble.”

_______

We attempted to follow Arboros as best we could. It was a somewhat difficult task, since he was flying over the buildings while Azur and I were forced to rush around them. So… keeping up was a difficult task! And since the Shaymin didn’t seem to want to stop and wait, it was made all the more difficult. We twisted and winded between the Redcliffe roads (seriously, who designs a settlement like this!? One main road with all the fixings… some important side roads… and then residential roads! That’s all you need!) before finally catching up with the red Shaymin at a large open field, with lots of flowers and flower Pokemon.

“Welcome to my project!”

I looked at him. “Your project?”

“Yep! I got asked to create a nature space for Redcliffe Town several years ago! This wouldn’t just grow here naturally; so they got a Shaymin to do it!”

Azur smiled. “It is a beautiful garden.”

“Thanks! You can go in if you want; it doesn’t bother me!”

The garden was certainly very pretty. And if it was all done by this Shaymin… I shook my head. “It’s too beautiful to walk on in, Arboros. But I’m glad that you showed us.”

The Shaymin grinned. “I don’t mind! But thanks! C’mon, the cliffs are next! The best sight you’ll ever see!”

As the Shaymin dashed off again, Azur turned back to me. “He is far humbler than I remember him being in our… limited interaction.”

“Really? I think he’s quite nice. Excitable, but nice.”

Azur nodded. “I do not know what spurred this change in him, but he is much more pleasant. I am glad for that.”

“COME ON, YOU TWO!” Arboros yelled back. “I wanna show you the cliffs before sunset!”

I flinched at the loud sound, but turned to dash after him. I smiled. Somehow, it felt liberating. The buildings all turned into one as I whizzed through the town, leaping over Pokemon and ducking under stalls. Just like when I was an Eevee… With Lex chasing me… I’d have to do this with him again when we got back. We’ve earned a rest!

“‘Ey! Watch where yer goin’, lass!” This is no playground!” a Pignite screamed. “Ya nearly wasted a month’s worth o’ good food!”

“Sorry!” I screamed back, not really paying attention to him. I leapt over a Kricketune shortly after, who was angrily dragging a Buizel. He yelped, and Buizel wriggled free, disappearing between the stalls.

“Argh… Lass! Next time I see ya, yer under arrest! Mark me words!”

His voice faded away as I left town, chasing the red Shaymin. He dipped down, and then flew back up.

“YAHOO!” he yelled, contentedly. He then started to pull in beside me. “This is fun, right?”

“It is!” I yelled back. “I can see why you insisted on showing us around first!”

“Yep! You reminded me too much of an old, boring friend I have! At least you’re willing to get loose and enjoy yourself!”

I grinned. “So where’re the cliffs? Surely we’re getting close!”

He pointed forward with a paw. “This way! We’re climbing them right now!”

“C-Climbing them!?”

“Of course!” he beamed. “Nothing beats the view from the top of the cliffs! And I really wanna show you!”

“Oh! Uh… I can’t wait!”

“I know! So let’s pick up the pace!”

I paused mentally. “What about Azur!?”

“Azur?”

I groaned. “My partner!”

“Oh, you mean Aurora! Don’t worry; she’s following us!”

Arboros pulled away after that, turning to the left. I grinned, and sped up after him. He wasn’t going to beat me that easily!

___

Azur arrived at the clifftop quite a while after Arboros and I had, out of breath. She glared at me first, then at Arboros. “You both know I am not very fast.”

“Sorry, Aurora~ But we were racing!” Arboros blurted, perching on her head. “We had a ton of fun!”

“I see. At my expense.”

“Aw… Aurora, you’re just like your master! Stubborn and boring! Live a little!”

Her face turned into a snarl. “The last time I let myself go--”

Arboros shushed her with a vine. “You can’t dwell on your past mistakes forever, Aurora! You’ve got thousands of years ahead of yourself; you don’t want to have regrets!”

I smiled slightly. It was really enjoyable to be around this Shaymin. Not only was he small and excitable, but wise and caring, too. I went over to Azur and pushed into her, trying to calm her down the same way Lex always calmed me down. I could feel her breathing become more rhythmic, and her pulse steady. I purred. “He’s right, you know. It’s the exact same thing you told me earlier.”

“I… I suppose…”

I removed myself from her fur and padded closer to the edge. “So… this is the view you wanted to show us, Arboros?”

“Yep!” he responded. “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

I glanced over it. The blue sky stretched out as far as I could see, nary a cloud in the sky. It was almost like it was showcasing the beginning of a new age. Below the endless sky lay a sprawling town. Little dots wobbled back and forth in the market, while others were steadily following the road. The lab was visible from here too; the distinctive green trees stood just off to the side of the town, tall and proud. A flash of orange dashed across the rooftops before disappearing into the alleys.

“It really is quite beautiful, up here. Serene, too. I can’t hear anything…”

Arboros flew in front of my view. “I told you! One day, when I find a willing mate… I’m gonna bring them here! It’s the perfect place for proposing!”

I couldn’t help but snicker. “You? A mate? Arboros… you’d have better luck convincing me you’re not a Shaymin.”

He laughed. “Well, that’s still a better chance than none at all!”

“Pardon me, Master,” Azur butted in. “But I am wondering… Why are you a Shaymin, of all Pokemon?”

Arboros flew back onto the cliff, bouncing along it happily. “I was always close with the Shaymin, Aurora! Eventually, they offered me a position among their ranks… Who was I to refuse!” He looked back, smiling. “And I don’t regret it!”

“I see. That makes sense,” Aurora replied. “Now… I believe it is time we moved on? However beautiful this view is…”

“Nonsense! This is the perfect place to relax a bit!”

I chuckled. “So it is. Arboros… Thank you. I think with all the worry I had for Lex, I’d forgotten to enjoy myself, as well.”

“I know! There’s an awful lot I know, Jolteon! I could see it in your body language!”

I shied away. Damn it… Why did he have to be so cute!? I tried not to think about it. He’s a Shaymin, anyways. He wouldn’t be interested in someone like me.

I found a nice cozy little spot to lie down. I circled a couple times, padding it out, and collapsed. It wouldn’t hurt to take a little nap now.

Maybe Lex needs a break, too. We’ll take a vacation when we get home~

I closed my eyes, and calmly drifted off. While the day wasn’t over, it was certainly a really good one. And with one more locale to visit before Arboros got started, it’d get better.

__

“So they’ve finally arrived in Redcliffe, and not a moment too soon,” a figure spoke. “I’ll be makin’ sure they don’ leave without paying Her Roguishness a visit…”

Chuckling echoed through the empty stone building, bouncing off the cell walls. It chilled the spine of the only other Pokemon in the area. He shivered, and put the brick back in the wall.

Not yet… I’ll escape soon, but not yet.

The sun disappeared, and darkness claimed the cell again.

Chapter 19: Redcliffe Prison

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
“Here we are!” Arboros shouted, his voice ringing in my ear. The Shaymin soon landed next to me, gazing up at the prison; A cold brown colour, like the rest of Redcliffe. Uniquely, it was tucked away in a cliff crevasse. Part of the roof jutted out from the cliff edge, and a prison window was clearly visible on the far end of the wall. It was hard to see, but a paw seemed to be sticking out of it, wiggling the bar.

“I know it’s not exactly welcoming, but I think you’ll appreciate seeing the prisoner!” the Shaymin exclaimed, flinging open the door. I was immediately greeted by a cold, damp wind blasting out from it. Alongside a rather… questionable clank.

Arboros peeked forward. “Hmm… Sheriff’s not here now…”

“He left a while ago… something about hunting down a Jolteon…” a soft voice echoed. “You probably don’t want to stick around.”

I scanned the room, looking for the source of the voice. While it was more difficult to see in darkness, the sound carried through so I decided to follow it. The narrow pathway made me uncomfortable, but this place is a prison. Comfort isn’t exactly the first thing in mind when it comes to prisons.

“I’m serious, here! You come closer, I guarantee the sheriff won’t let you leave! He’s not who he says he is!”

Despite the protests, I continued moving forward. Eventually, I arrived at a small cell with a bit of light shining through the window bars. It was quite cramped. Within its confines, I could make out an orange Pokemon. While its shape was most definitely that of a Buizel’s, it was about 3 decimeters too big. I stared at it, in shock. Aside from it being big, there was this nagging feeling that I’d seen this Buizel before. He didn’t seem too pleased to see me.

“Well… If you’re here, I guess it’s too late. Felix will be back any moment now.”

I rolled my eyes, and took a closer look at the cell. The object that had made the clanking sound earlier was hidden; I presumed Buizel was holding it. The cell itself didn’t provide an awful lot of space for stretching or moving around. He leaned against the wall nonetheless, giving me the side-eye.

“Now there’s a sight for sore eyes. A pretty lady.” He paused for a moment. “And a Jolteon. You wouldn’t happen to be the one Felix is looking for?”

I ignored him, instead continuing my observation. No amenities seemed to be provided. No restroom hole, no hay pile… I know it’s a prison, but those are basic Poké rights.

“C’mon, humour me, Jolteon. It gets boring talking to Felix all the time; he always steers the topic towards execution and how I’m such a bad guy.” He chuckled. “So what? I showed up in town?”

I growled. “Obviously you’ve done more than that, if you're scheduled for execution.”

He laughed. By its tone, it didn’t seem malicious in any perceivable way. The laugh bounced off the stone walls, fading away as a door slammed.

“You see, that’s the thing, beautiful. Last thing I remember was falling out from a tree. One of those big ones, near the green building.”

“You mean my lab?” Arboros shouted, showing up. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it? I made it myself!”

I cringed. Arboros was a nice guy, but sometimes he was just…

“Too loud for you, pretty?”

I glared at him. “Shut up. And stop flirting with me; I’m taken.”

“Feisty, aren’t we? Ah well.” He closed his eyes. “I’m Robin. Will you at least share your name with me?”

“You can call me Spark.”

“Then yer the Jolteon I’m lookin’ for,” a gruff but melodic voice rang out. “Wish I’d known you were comin’ straight to me; woulda saved me the trouble o’ lookin’ fer you.”

I swung around instantly. Blocking the way out was a large, golden Kricketune. He seemed to be glowering at me, even from his height. “I heard it all from Chesnaught. Yer under arrest for the cruel act of genocide. I think ye know what I’m gettin’ at?”

“If you’re talking about the Marauders,” I snarled, “then you have the wrong Pokemon.”

Robin chuckled loudly again. Everyone ignored him.

“That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Consider this… revenge.”

As Kricketune raised his instrument-like arm to strike, I was yanked away by a pair of vines. I let out a yelp at the sudden force, and I slammed into Kricketune. The bug went down, getting flung into a wall as I got dragged along.

“Nope! I’m not letting you arrest my friends! Especially when they haven’t done anything! That’s just mean!”

Arboros. Between the gargantuan Buizel and the sheriff, I’d completely forgotten about him. I stifled a whimper as I found myself dangling high above the ground. Arboros beamed down at me as he retracted his vines.

“Don’t you worry about him! I’ll protect you!”

“Thanks,” I muttered. It was a nice gesture from the flying deer, but I could take care of myself. “Let’s just go back to your lab for now. I trust Azur will be waiting for us?”

“Nah! She said she had some things to do!”

I sighed. “Well, at least that gives me time to talk to you about that Buizel…”

Arboros seemed to get lighter upon hearing that. “I know! I’ll tell you all about yourself when we get back! Hang tight!”

____

I approached the same building Arboros told me about earlier, before I left to take care of some administrative issues for an old friend. By the way the golden bug had run out, I’d say there was a pretty good chance Spark was no longer inside. Still, I wanted to be absolutely certain of this truth before retreating to the lab. As such, I opened the door and entered the building.

My face fell seeing the dank and dripping building in front of me. I hated these places. All the ruins Lugia sent me to while serving under him had more than covered my personal quota for these types of places. Unfortunately, I needed to speak with the prisoner inside. As such, I entered the building. Doing my best to avoid the drops from the ceiling, and failing, I slowly moved through the corridors.

Clang!

The sound reverberated through the hall, drowning out the dripping water. I quickened my pace, as it was now likely he was attempting his escape.

Clang!

The last window bar dropped to the ground. In the process of climbing out the now hole in the wall was my query.

"Excuse me, Buizel, may I speak with you for a moment?"

Despite me shouting that, he continued to scramble up the rocks. A few stray pebbles were knocked loose as he battled the wall for footing. For someone who was trying to escape, he was certainly making a lot of noise. Growing impatient, I formed a small icicle and launched it at him. While my aim was true, the icicle bounced off his pelt harmlessly. I growled internally, and made my way outside. Nothing else I could do here.

---

As the silver fox slipped out the door, a large golden bug returned. He made his way straight to his office, if it could even be called that. It was really more like a luxury compared to the rest of Redcliffe Town. Lustrous Orbs stood tall in the 4 corners, illuminating a mid-sized room with 3 Pokemon shackled to its walls. The Kricketune grinned. Honchkrow, Weavile, Greninja. To most, these were master criminals. They slept much easier knowing they were locked up, which made them easier targets.

He turned his attention to his desk. On top of the grand, Witherwood table were his unfinished posters. He swept them away. Who cares if a couple minor villains went on the loose for a few more days? No, there were more important matters for him to attend to. He recalled Chesnaught’s revelation about the fall of the Marauders. Without much more hesitation, he grabbed a wanted form and his favourite quill.

Wanted: Jolteon

Believed to be a mass murderer, targeting the weak and unable. Has also murdered her friend in cold blood.

Last seen accompanying Grass Master Arboros. Use caution when approaching, and always travel in groups.

Reward: 9,000,000 Poké

He laid his quill down with a sly smirk. The Marauders would rise again, he was sure. And he’d be the reason why.

He sang his favourite tune as he snatched the paper and handed it to Pangoro. “I want 30 copies o’ this, Pangoro. Otherwise, I’ll end yer life here and now.”

“Ugh…” Pangoro groaned. “Just kill me then, Felix. I ain’t gonna do nuttin’ for you.”

Felix chuckled loudly. “Tat means yer gonna do it, then. ‘Cause that’s a double negative, which makes a positive. So get ter work, Panny.” The golden Kricketune then stalked away, his laugh echoing off the cold, empty walls.

Chapter 20: Escape!

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
I stretched. It’d been a long time since the sun had graced my skin. It felt warm. Looking around, this place seemed a lot smaller from the rooftops. Perhaps that was because I could now move around freely. I leapt to the next building over, leaving behind the prison and everything it stood for. This one seemed to stretch on for a while. Townhouse, maybe? Or town hall? It didn’t matter. I didn’t plan on sticking around here. Didn’t like it, and I was certain Felix would only try and throw me back in that cell. I shivered. It had been horrible. Despite being a Buizel, it had been dank. Had I been there any longer, I might've gotten sick.

My thoughts whirled to the Jolteon I’d talked with, and I smirked. She was beautiful. Given what I know about the sheriff, she had to be innocent of whatever she’d been accused of. Perhaps, then, I should make an effort to team up with her. After all, there’s safety in numbers, right?

I took off running across the rooftops. Being careful to avoid being seen by the denizens below, I kept low and on all fours. Having been a human before (something I figured no one would believe), it felt a little uncomfortable and clumsy. And yet, it also felt quite natural. Fast, too, even if I did keep tripping over my own paws. I knew over time, my control would improve.

A flock of birds flew by. I ducked down, hoping my orange coat would blend in with the roof. As I watched them fly over, I put each bird to a species. There were a few Swellow, a couple Talonflame, but mostly Braviary. A few of them broke away to fly down to the roof I was on. I stayed as still as I possibly could, to avoid being detected.

After a short while, the birds gave up and left. I sighed. For being allied with the corrupt sheriff, they sure didn’t seem to take their job seriously. Not that that was a bad thing for me. Meant I was free to keep making my way to that building. As I got up, I took a glance around. Seems like I managed to get turned around, because I couldn’t see my destination anymore. No matter. It stands out against all this brown, so it’d be easy to find once I was out of town. I started running again.

Before long, I leapt over another gap. Although I landed on the opposite roof, I hadn’t accounted for its size. As a result, I couldn’t stop fast enough, falling off the other side into a narrow back alley. I somehow managed to hit every single beam and outcropping sticking out of both buildings, landing on something soft but freezing cold. Despite the temperature difference, I was in too much pain to stay conscious, and blacked out soon after.

____

When I came to, it was in an unfamiliar room. There were a lot of green plants decorating the walls, and vines hanging from the ceiling holding candles.They all looked super exotic, and I couldn’t help but smile at the sight. I tried to get up. And failed. Something was restraining me. As a result of my efforts, the restraints seemed to get tighter. I glanced at my arms and legs. The restraints were a pair of thick vines, 2 per limb for whatever reason. At the edge of the bed I was held on was a green lizard with a bunch of leaves. He was leaning against the wall.

“You’re awake. Sorry for the restraints, but you can never be too careful.”

“Huh?” I asked. “What’s going on?”

“You fell on Ninetales,” Grovyle responded. “Broke her forelegs.”

Ninetales… Must’ve been of the Alolan variant, I deduced, given how cold the landing was. Yikes… I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. Did I do permanent damage? Apparently Grovyle read my expression, because he released the binds.

“Luckily for you, Buizel, she’s a healer. But you…” Grovyle started walking around. “You’ve got some explaining to do.”

“O-Of course!” I stammered out. “About… what, exactly?” I tried to get up, but Grovyle pushed me down.

“Easy. You’re still healing from a broken back.” The lizard paused. “That was difficult to fix. I’m nowhere near Arboros’ level of mastery.”

Arboros… I’d heard that name. The red Shaymin who saved the cute Jolteon in the prison. He’d been pretty loud. Didn’t seem like a bad guy though, from what I’d seen. Just… hard to be around.

Grovyle snapped me back to reality. “So. What’s your story?”

“My story?” I asked, a little confused. “What do you mean?”

“I mean what’s your deal,” Grovyle responded. “Why were you locked up?”

I sighed. “I don’t know, okay? All I remember before that sheriff hauled me off was falling out of one of the trees by Arboros’ lab.”

Grovyle brought his paw to his mouth. From his expression, it seemed he was in thought? I was confused. I tried to get up again. This time, he made no moves to stop me. As I hopped off the bed, I winced in pain. Maybe I didn’t break anything hopping off, but my tails sure ached.

“Can’t fault him, can you?” Grovyle pointed out. “Strange Pokemon fell out of a tree grown by the town’s resident magician…”

“You have a point,” I admitted begrudgingly.

He sighed. “‘Least you’re not alone, pal. You aren’t the only Pokemon falsely accused of being a criminal.”

My tails twitched. Of course I knew I wasn’t the only one. There was Jolteon too, yeah? According to Felix. Although his expression told me that wasn’t who he meant. Which means… there was currently only one other Pokemon he could be referring to.

“You too?”

Grovyle chuckled. “Not anymore, but about 80 years ago, during the Temporal Crisis, I was considered an outlaw of the highest caliber.”

“The Temporal Crisis?” What was that? I’d certainly never heard of such an event. It didn’t sound very good. The lizard seemed surprised, because he just stared at me for a bit.

“You don’t know?” Grovyle stopped. “Do you remember… anything before you fell out of that tree?”

“N-No!” I lied quickly. He looked at me, almost skeptically, but didn’t push the matter further. I sighed internally; there was no reason anyone had to know I was actually human, right? I’d just come off as crazy if I admitted that. Not that I really cared to think about my human life. It wasn’t super pleasant.

“Well, you certainly don’t seem like a bad kid.” Grovyle unlocked the door. “Guess it’s time you went to see Ninetales. She needs to talk to you.”

“And what about you?”

He gestured towards another bed. “Master Arboros left me in charge of Lex’s revival. More due to my insistence. He was… and is, a good friend to me. He saved my life, now it’s my turn to do the same.”

I looked at the bed. On top of it, laying quite lifeless on the sheets, was a shiny Lucario. I blinked a few times. Back in Sinnoh, this would’ve been a rare sight. For him to be referred to so casually… Were shinies this common?

Grovyle glanced at my expression again. He didn’t say anything though. Was he suspicious of me? Or was I just that bad at hiding myself? I shook myself off. That was a mistake, as my tails slapped against my leg. Being that they were still sore, I yelped in pain. Still had a lot to learn about being a Buizel…

“Can’t you do anything about the pain?” I asked Grovyle.

He shook his head. “As much as I’d like to, Grass Magic is less about healing than it is life and nature.” At that, he seemed to grin. “Luckily for you, I was able to remove the parkrensic cells in your body. Well, more like alter them,” he corrected himself. “So you’re not in any danger of dying to Parkrens anymore.”

Well, that was nice of him. I guess it carried over from when I was a human… good to know it was all taken care of. It made me pause to wonder. No amount of science from my world was able to cure Parkrens. So why would Grass Magic, as he called it, be any different? And to that end, Magic? That certainly had my interest. Next time I had a chance, I’d ask more about it. After all, we didn’t have Magic in Sinnoh.

I shook my head. First things first: The Ninetales he told me about. “So… Where can I find Ninetales?”

“Her room is the third on the left. Might be hidden behind a giant Pipan leaf. Master Arboros loves his trees.”

I nodded. I’d never heard of a Pipan tree before, but I assumed it would be easy enough to make out. As such, I headed out the door. A last glance back revealed Grovyle returning to Lucario’s bedside, and then the door shut in my face.

___

Grovyle was right; the door was hidden. As a result, I had to search behind every leaf. The first two doors on the left were visible; so I turned my attention to the leaves following them. My first guess was the leaf kinda shaped like a maple leaf. I figured it was the most likely to be hiding a secret. Unfortunately for me, there was only a blank wall behind it. Not even a piece of art or anything. Guess Arboros wasn’t into that sort of stuff. Next down the hall was a weirdly shaped leaf. The half connecting to the stem was more birch in nature, while the bottom part one might see off a tree looked more like an oak leaf. Weird. There was nothing behind that one, either, though, so I kept looking. What ended up catching my eye at the next leaf was the… perfectness of it. It was perfectly spiralled… It seemed almost reminiscent of a rose.

It ended up being the fibonacci leaf that hid the door. I made a mental note. Fibonacci leaf = Pipan tree. I knocked on the door behind the leaf. A soft female voice called “Enter!”, so I opened the door. And… Wow. What a sight.

In front of me was indeed an Alolan Ninetales. But she wasn’t just any Alolan Ninetales. With her tails wrapped around her body, hiding her forelegs. But I didn’t need to see them. Her fur seemed to shine a bright cream colour, radiating a sense of authority. Her tales looked nice and fluffy. She must take great pride in taking care of them. Next I made my way up to her eyes. And Arceus, those eyes… Those beautiful, azure eyes… I almost lost myself in her gaze.

And then I snapped out of my trance. She wanted to talk to me, right? I looked around for a chair or anything to sit on. She watched me, slightly bemused.

“You are a Pokemon, right?” she asked, hiding hints of snickers behind a tail. “Just sit on the floor!”

I looked sheepishly back at her before flashing a grin, and doing that. “So what did you want to see me for?”

Her face immediately grew more serious as she straightened out and put her tails back on the ground. “You. I tried to talk to you back at the prison, but you were too busy escaping.”

“Well maybe that’s because I didn’t feel like getting murdered,” I winked back at her. “Felix ain’t exactly… trustworthy.”

She nodded. “In what way?”

“Well, for one, his conversation with that cute Jolteon back in the prison indicates that he’s got some kind of criminal organization backing him,” I pointed out. “And he’s been talking to himself about what he’s gonna do to her.”

“I see.” The beautiful vixen looked away. “So the Krillian Marauders have the officers of the law, too…”

That caught my attention. Krillian Marauders? I recognized that. Something seemed to have happened to them, given Felix’s actions.

She looked right back at me. “But I called you here to talk about something else. Namely, who and what you are.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. “I’m just a Buizel, without memory of what happened to me.”

“Whether or not you have memories does not concern this matter. It is the matter of your… humanity.”

I froze. Couldn’t even crack a grin or a flirty smile.

“Walk with me.” She gave me a tail. “I shall explain.” I grabbed it, and she started leading me down the hall. “Every time a disaster is imminent in this world, a human is called here. Historical records show seven. Three of them from more recent history, and the other four from the First Era and the Era of Mystery.”

I nodded, following along.She stopped for a moment to look at me. “Your arrival here is most concerning.”

And then it hit me, and I had to blurt out the question nagging me. “Wait, how do you even know I’m human? I haven’t told you anything of the sort!”

The Ninetales looked away. “There is an upcoming disaster. This, we know because of your arrival.” I growled internally. She’d completely ignored my question. “I would suggest you figure out what this disaster is and act against it.”

“Isn’t it even slightly possible that I’m not related to this disaster?” I asked. “There’s gotta be another explanation for this.”

The vixen looked at me blankly. “Twice is a coincidence. Seven times, however, is a pattern. I do not believe there is any room for doubt, as you are the eighth.” She then continued to walk along elegantly. I had no choice but to follow her. Still didn’t fully believe her, though. Just because it’s happened seven times in the past doesn’t mean it’s happened again, right? And besides, there was still a lot she wasn’t telling me. Like how she knew I was originally a human, and why she made an effort to talk to me about this situation. She may not be behind it, but I held strong suspicions she was mixed up in this whole affair more deeply than she’s letting on.

I made up my mind. In order to find out what this pretty fox was hiding, I’d need her trust. And besides, she was simply too cute not to be friends with. Finally finding my voice again, I decided to speak up. “Um… so… I’m Robin. And you are?”

“Aurora, though it would be more appropriate to call me Azur,” she responded, warmer than I anticipated. “Spark told me that it is more polite not to call Pokemon by their True Names.”

“True Names?”

“Yes. Every Pokemon has five titles. The most formal, and reserved only for royal meetings, is Rank, Job, and Species Name. This is referred to as the Pokemon’s Royal Title.”

I nodded slowly. So you would be…”

“Veteran Healer Ninetales,” she finished, nodding. “The only Rank above is Master.”

“I… guess that makes sense.” I spun my tails a bit, wincing in pain. “A Master would know everything there is to know about anything.”

“Correct,” she replied. “The next level of title is simply Job, and Species. It is most commonly used in formal gatherings. A step down from that is merely species.” She looked at me again. “This is the most common title Pokemon use to refer to each other.”

“Because it’s simple and easy, yeah?”

“Correct again. It is also the last of the formal titles.”

I nodded. It all made sense. Such an intricate system, for Pokemon. “Next would be nicknames and True Names?”

She half-nodded. “Nicknames are also known simply as names. From what I have gathered, every Pokemon has many different names depending on the group of Pokemon they are found with.”

“So… nicknames.”

“I suppose.”

“And then True Names are what the Pokemon was born with?” I guessed.

“In a manner of speaking, yes,” she began. “A True Name is more often referred to the name Pokemon use around those that they consider kin.”

“Oh.” I paused. So if we were to stick together, I’d probably need to think of a name to go by. How hard could that be? I snickered. We stopped in front of an impressive pair of trees. As their branches parted to reveal those who were inside, the perfect name hit me from nowhere. Something I knew would make me stand out among everyone else.

Jetfin.

Chapter 21: Behind Closed Doors

Sparkfire

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/his
Felix chewed the end of his feather. “Master Arboros? Yes, he’s here, mistress. An’ he’s got an interest in them, too.”

“This is troubling. Not even us Marauders would dare oppose a Magic Master. Even if we were to succeed… Master Alisio would have our heads.”

The Kricketune nodded. “Aye. As long as they’re in his graces…”

“We’ll just have to lure them out then, Felix. And the escapee?”

“He’s of no consequence, m’lady. I have the best officers scouring the streets for ‘im.”

“So you say.”

Felix flipped over a few papers, sliding them towards his visitor. “ I know you don’t respect the forces I have on hand, but with the rest o’ our band dead…”

“I have no choice but to trust that you’ll complete the job.”

“And I shall, Yer Roguishness… I shall.”

“Good.”

The Kricketune took the papers back, noting the signatures. “Thanks for helpin’ this look official, Yer Roguishness.”

“Well, I can’t exactly have my favourite sheriff stripped of his role now, can I? Your position is most important to our cause.”

Felix put the papers into his cabinet, keeping an eye on his prisoners. “ Ye best be leaving now, b’fore they learn you survived.”

“And go where, Felix? Chesnaught has already left to check up on Kecleon. And I doubt it’d be a very good idea to stay with the merchant.”

He grunted. “Good point. But it’s hardly safe to be around Pokemon who are capable o’ killing you.”

Smeargle laughed. “Substitute saved my life once, Felix, and it will do so again when the time arises. Don’t worry about me, Felix.”

He growled. “As you wish, Yer Roguishness. At least try to keep a low profile.”

“You know that’s not my style.”

“News o’ the genocide’s spread already, Yer Roguishness. The townsfolk might try to… kill you.”

“And they'll fail. Just like Lucario did. I’m tougher than anyone alive, after all.”

“Tat’s the kind o’ talk that got ‘em all killed, Yer Roguishness.”

Smeargle glared back at the bug. “So they were weaklings. Once we exact our revenge, we’ll rebuild the Marauders. Stronger than before.”

“An’ I suppose you’ve a plan for that?”

Smeargle chuckled loudly. “Of course I do, Felix. Now go worry about the revenge., and let me take care of rebuilding. Or… would you rather end up like them?” She grinned evilly, pointing her tail at the prisoners on the wall.

“N-No, Yer Roguishness. I’ll leave immediately.”

“Good. Return only when they are defeated. We cannot risk losing everything again.”

Felix nodded, and shuffled out. Defeat the Jolteon, eh…? He’d have to think about how to get to her. If she was indeed under Master Arboros’ protection, she’d need to be lured out… But how was he to do so? If Jolteon was already onto him as a result of his ill-fated attempt in the prison, she’d likely be on her guard.

A few drops of water echoed along the hallway, soon drowned out by Felix’s footsteps. He shambled along, stopping at the Buizel’s old cell to begin repairing it. “Can’t believe he broke these bars…” he grumbled. “He’s gonna pay for this big time.”

I winced as Master Arboros’ door slammed behind us. The Shaymin retracted his vine and excitedly flew around. I tried to catch him a couple times, but… he was simply too fast. Deciding that he’d calm down when he was ready, I instead took in the office decorations.

Most notably was the simply absurd amount of small potted bushes. I could understand one, or two --Lex really liked them around the Bluff-- but here there were simply too many to count. I saw some Oran Bushes, some Flirn Bushes, Pecha, Hustle, Brange… And there were more still that even I didn’t recognize. I blinked a few times. Why so many plants? How does he get anything done with this many plants?

“Alright, Jolty! Let me explain why you’re here!” Arboros shouted, perching on the tree in the corner. “You say you know that Buizel?”

“I do. For some reason… I’ve never met him before.”

Arboros beamed. “Well, then you must’ve seen him in your dreams, right?”

I was taken aback a bit. “H-How did y--?”

“My friends told me! Good friends! They told me all about you!”

Friends? My heels were instantly shackled. Was they stalking me? If so, for what reason?

“Oh, Jolty, please calm down! They aren’t malicious!” Arboros beamed again. “They’re just knowledgeable!”

“Riiight… Knowledgeable’s not the word I’d use for stalkers, Master.”

“They aren’t stalking! Well… not both of them, anyways… That’d be creepy! They just happen to know about your heritage!”

“And what about it? I know I’m the first in eight generations to not be a Flareon.”

The Shaymin started to snicker at that. “Not that heritage, silly! Your Seer heritage!”

I blinked a few times, not believing what he was saying. How in the Voidlands was I of all Pokemon a Seer? I didn’t come from any fancy home, nor a rich family… I hailed from a small island off the coast of Grasanio. Certainly not a place any Seer would hail from.

I blinked a few more times. As far as I recall, there was never a Seer in my family tree. At least, not directly. There was Great-Great Uncle Hermes. I’d never met him, of course, but the stories were endless.

“That’s impossible, Master.”

He grinned, and leapt down. “Nope! Not impossible! You’re a Seer! It’s easy for me to tell; you’ve got green eyes!”

“My eyes have nothing to do with this! I know green eyes are rare, but Seer? That’s a stretch!”

“Not just rare, Jolty! Only Seers have green eyes! Something about them being able to see through the fabrics of time and space… Or so a Seer friend of mine explained!”

“No. I don’t believe that.”

“Well, Jolty… Let me ask, then! Have you had any other dreams that seem to have come true recently? You can be honest with me!”

I paused. Other dreams? “Well… come to think of it… There were two. Both involving you, Master Arboros. Although they haven’t exactly played out the same as the dreams said they would…”

The Shaymin beamed at me again. “And they won’t, because you’re only now learning about your heritage! Just like any skill, mastering Sight takes time! If you wanna hone your gift, and I think you should, then I can point you in the right direction!”

I remained silent for a bit. Sure, the coincidences he pointed out did seem a little odd. And how else would I have recognized the abnormally tall Buizel? But being a Seer? No way. These dreams were just… prophetic dreams… right?

"Occhio Omani Outlook, huh? Are you sure that's a good idea, Master Arboros?" I asked, stepping out the door.

"Of course I'm sure! It'll be a good experience for you, and it's totally worth it!" Arboros yipped, launching into the air with excitement. I rolled my eyes. Somehow, it was hard to believe he was one of the most knowledgeable Pokemon to ever live, what with his inability to sit still.

“But what about Lex? As much as I’d like to go and train my gift… I can’t simply up and leave my partner. Not when he’s so… unstable.” My ears twitched.

“Don’t worry about it! I’m sure since you’ll be leaving voluntarily, and you’re not being stolen away from him, he’ll be fine!” Arboros beamed, perching in my fur.

I yelped. “Don’t land on me! I’m not a perch!”

He snickered, and took off again. “But it’s fun!”

“Fun or not… I’m still a living creature!” I retorted, albeit more playfully than I intended. I shrugged. He’d assured me Lex was in good hands. Surely then, I could afford to relax a bit? And maybe… even play like I was a kid again?

“That’s the spirit, Spark!” Arboros’ eyes gleamed. “Don’t worry about Lex! When you’re gone, I’m sure Aurora will help him out!”

Yes… she would, wouldn’t she? So why worry? I smiled, growling playfully.

“Yay!” The Shaymin looped in the air. “Catch me if you can!” And with that, he was nothing more than a red blur, zooming away. Grinning, I gave chase to him.

Spiteful Murkrow

Busy Writing Stories I Want to Read
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Partners
  1. nidoran-f
  2. druddigon
  3. swellow
  4. quilava-fobbie
  5. sneasel-kate
  6. heliolisk-fobbie
Heya, I drew your story for offsite V-Wheel, and found out that you happened to have a TR version here. So I figured that I'd kill a couple birds with one stone and jam out some feedback for you here.

Chapter 1

14th Aegigam, 675th Year of the 2nd Era

A long journey, finally at its end. Snowfield Village was an interesting ruin. Our investigation revealed that it was once the capital of something a landmass called the Crystal Continent, though such a continent no longer exists in our time. However, there have been reports of what appear to be underwater ruins in the seas north of the Mist Continent. It can therefore be easily deduced that this island, and the Lost Fog Peninsula are were once part of the Crystal Continent, which has long since sunk beneath the waves. This sunken continent requires some more research. However that will have to be done at wait until a later date, as Spark and I have decided to return home.

A couple nitpicks here and there regarding wording. Not sure how I feel about cold-dropping "Aegigam" in the date, but it's not a deal breaker. If you really want to beat it over the head of the audience as to what it is since "Aegigam" is just a name at this point of time, "Month of Aegigam" could work, but it's not necessary.

But lost continents, huh? That's certainly a premise I haven't heard too much about, even if it feels like it'd be right at home with a PMD setting.

After several months of exploring the Lost Fog Peninsula and Snowfield Island, Spark and I were finally headed home. We had traveled all the way to the Mist Continent to investigate the newly discovered ruins of Snowfield Village.

Since Spark was quickly pacing around the ruined fountain, fur on end, I could tell my partner was eager to head home, even without reading her aura. I don’t blame her; exploring is really fun and exciting, but nothing compares to sitting down and enjoying a nice cup of tea at home with a book in my paw. At least for me, anyways. Spark more prefers to spend her free time to pulling small, harmless pranks on the inhabitants of Treasure Town.

The only problem with getting home is how we’re going to get off this island. We’re in the middle of the worst winter the Mist Continent has ever seen, which means it’s not ideal to go through the mountains. But on the other hand, Lugia’s having his yearly tantrums so that means sailing across the waters without a Lapras is also out of the question. Seeing how we were trapped, Spark and I had both agreed to search for a potential hidden exit.

>yearly tantrums

I mean, at least there's just a time of year where everyone knows not to approach Lugia, but that still sounds... concerning.
:fearfullaugh~1:

Though I see we're in Canonworld here since I recognize most of those places that got brought up. I wonder whether or not it would've made more sense to hint at the narrator + Spark's species a bit more explicitly, though. Like I'm assuming that the narrator is some sort of bludoge from the aura-reading comment, but Spark... is kinda hard to place beyond 'Electric-type'. It could be a deliberate design choice here, but is something I noticed.

Potential, because the documents I recovered spoke of the Crystal Continent being some kind of [final defense]. We figured that they’d have a passage out in case anything went wrong.

As in a final line of defense, or a final redoubt/bastion? Since admittedly the phrasing made me ask 'to/from what?' but the text didn't really indicate or hint one way or another. Might be something worth hinting at a bit more strongly.

“I’m gonna search the houses, Wind! You go to the temple!” Spark yelled as she took off.

I sighed. As usual, Spark didn’t care for tact or planning, and just ran into the problem head-on. Ultimately, I headed to the temple, figuring it was pretty likely to hide such a passage. I stopped in front of the majestic statue, depicting an ancient Crystal king. It was of a Pokemon I did not recognize, A rounded, duck-like creature, with faded red and blue colouring. Noticing a plaque, I attempted to decipher what it said.

King Po__g_n t__ 2nd, _h_ l__t h___n r__ic. _ay __ fo_ev_r r__t in p__ce.

Most of it was so badly faded, I couldn’t make it out. I’d have to cross-reference it with my notes to figure out everything it said. I went back to searching for potential hidden areas when a flash of yellow barreled into me at a high speed.

Something something "May he forever rest in peace". Seems like this guy's gonna be important, maybe.

I'd also recommend splitting the first paragraph in this block at "I sighed".

“Oof!”

“Sorry Wind, I just got so excited I had to run and find you! I located what seems to be an old guard barrack! Perhaps our tunnel is in there!”

I slowly picked myself off the ground, dazed.

“And you didn’t think to slow down when you got here? I’ll be surprised if you didn’t dislocate anything, partner.”

“Hey, I said I was sorry! Geez!”

Okay, so our narrator is 'Wind'... though, what is Spark there? I'm kinda getting Jolteon vibes from your avatar and the "blur of yellow"... but "blur of yellow could admittedly just as easily be a Pikachu. ^^;

Clearly headstrong either way, though. Including in a literal sense. :V

That’s Spark for you. Highly impatient, and very hard to keep up with. Yet we were still perfect partners, for reasons I don’t yet understand.

Disregarding that, I let her lead me towards the guard barrack she mentioned. Like the rest of the village, it was mostly intact. However it seemed like it didn't belong. It had to have been built quite recently but given the neglect many of the decaying structures showed, combined with the ancient and imposing temple which reeked of a forgotten authority planted seeds of doubt towards that thought. It almost felt placed for our use.

Narrator: "It basically was placed for our use."

Though how exactly do Wind and Spark know that this was built recently? Like is it the style of architecture which is modern and doesn't align with the ruins? Unless I overlooked something from earlier, something doesn't quite come through here about that.

“You know, now that I think about it, it doesn’t seem like it was an original part of the village. Should we still try it?”

It was rare to see Spark doubting herself like this.

Of course. What does it matter how recent it is if it provides a route around the mountains and the oceans?

I mean, not that they don't have strong incentive to try and get literally anywhere else considering they're in the middle of an ugly winter storm, but...

... Though on that note, is that storm already upon them, or are they trying to get out of its path? Since there wasn't a lot of snow and the like described for their surroundings even though they're in 'Snowfield Village'.

She nodded in agreement. I opened the door, seeing as Spark was unable to due to being a quadruped. She ran aside almost immediately; I was a little more cautious and made sure I didn’t run face first into a wall like she did.

“OUCH!”

“You really should learn not to run ahead, Spark. You’ll just keep face planting into walls.”

Okay, yeah. I'm guessing that Spark is a Jolteon after all, since Pikachu is at least a facultative biped.

She shook herself off. “No matter. Let’s just look for some kind of tunnel.”

Looking around, the interior was uncharacteristically fancy for a guards' barracks. The walls were covered with manners of treasures, crowned with a diamond chandelier that hung from the ceiling. However, our attention was focused on the plain door opposite the one we had entered from. An abrupt, chill wind surged through the front door, bringing with it fistfuls of snow. Spark shivered at this new development; it seemed as if that door was our only option.

Oh, so there's the snowy weather. Even if I'm pretty sure that's not natural.

Or has the outside just gotten all blizzardy? Since... my assumption was that they had been ducking in and out between the outside and the ruins earlier, but... yeah. Kinda first mention of snow there.

“L-let’s go, W-W-Wind… I-I’m f-f-f-f-freezing.” Spark stammered. I quickly opened the door and sent her through first, before following and ensuring this door was closed behind us. It was surprisingly sturdy, given the strong winds blowing outside and the weight of the snow.

What we saw next was not what we expected. It was a large room with a fireplace in the center. Several bookshelves lined the walls, while what seemed to be a list of books was on the nearby chair. Looking at the wall by the fireplace, we both noticed a fur coat, seemingly tailor-made for Spark.

“What is this place…?”

Spark didn’t care to question it, she went over to the fireplace to warm up after the sudden blizzard that befell us. I, on the other hand, started to investigate the room. Or, more specifically, the nearby bookcase. While searching it, I came across a suspiciously familiar title, The Temporal Crisis. I grabbed it and put it in my bag, wanting to read it and see if it was indeed what I suspected it was.

Translation: "Y'all aren't alone right now."

I looked over at Spark. She had somehow managed to get the coat on. What worried me most, however, was how she was uncharacteristically gazing into the raging flames. Hoping to figure out what was wrong, I approached Spark and let my aura flow a bit. She was exhausted. Perhaps we’ll spend the night here before looking for a tunnel out.

Upon reaching her, she still seemed to be chilled to the bone. She appeared to be too cold to speak. I decided to tell her what I had decided on.

“Given your current condition, I think it would be wisest to spend the night here to help you warm up. We’ll search for a way off the island tomorrow, when you’re feeling better.”

Er... yeah, if you do a v2 of this chapter, you probably want to keep the weather more explicitly in mind. Like it's not the end of the world for the weather to be "first the weather was tolerable, and then it got bad enough that Spark got left in this state after briefly stepping out the door", but you need to communicate both the passage of time and the "... okay, it wasn't that bad just $TIME ago" factor to things.

She nodded in agreement. I helped her get settled, as she was still shivering despite the raging fire. Knowing that my fur was thicker than hers, I lay down next to her, snuggling in close to share my body heat. Good night, Spark. See you tomorrow.” She fell asleep, and a few minutes after, I followed suit. Tomorrow would be the day we left Snowfield.

I'm assuming that Wind is a Lucario from the fur comment, but... yeah. Kinda don't have firm enough clues to work with. Like it's not the end of the world to not explicitly state the species of your protags, but you want to make sure that the description has enough identifying features for readers to put two and two together.

e.x. if Spark had been described as a "yellow-and-white blur with jagged fur" earlier, that's pretty unambiguously "Jolteon". Similarly, if Wind explicitly mentioned at some point something like "the four feelers on my head", or "I looked down at the metal spike on my chest" coupled with the stuff about Aura-reading, that's a way to instantly say "Lucario" without saying Lucario.

Chapter 2

Under the dead of the night, a figure slipped into the guard barracks. Her mind whirled with worries, but most of all for the only visitors she’d had in centuries. Had they taken shelter, or would she need to dig them out of the snow? She only had one way of knowing…

~~~~~

Howling winds woke me up, the fire [guttering] as it wound through the walls. Still, it was warm enough to keep Spark fitfully asleep, if not me. Being careful not to wake her by accident, I got off our shared hay pile. I reached into my bag, searched it for a moment, and grabbed the copy of The Temporal Crisis I had placed there last night. I was about to begin reading it, but something felt off.

Did you mean 'sputtering' where 'guttering' was? As in the fire was struggling to continue? Since otherwise I'm not fully sure what the intent there was.

Also for reference for your TR version, but if you want line breaks like your FFN version, just drop in the following BBCode into your text with no spaces: [ HR ]-[ /HR ] It also works with no separating character, but if you intend to cross-publish to other Xenforo forums, it's a good practice to keep since some like Serebii require them for the line break to render.

Allowing my aura to flow forth, I sensed that we weren’t alone. Somewhere, in this firelit room, there was an ancient presence, though not as powerful as that of a legendary.

[I focused on that presence.] By focusing, I was able to follow it until I located her. A Crystalline Ninetales. Her beauty was blinding, as if she were a queen above all, yet she seemed humbler and shyer than even the poorest of Pokemon. And yet, it was not her beauty that I was taken aback by. It was her feeling of relief. It was so strong that I nearly fell over from its intensity.

I think that it might make sense to emphasize what Wind does to focus a bit more, since it's... kinda hard to visualize what exactly she's doing or how it feels to her.

Also, I didn't get the sense that this room was really all that big, and yet Wind finds a crystalline Ninetales in it. You might want to give a better idea of where the Ninetales is, and if the room isn't particularly large, maybe show Wind get a bit surprised from it, since... yeah. Surprise Crystal Ninetales. In your room. In the middle of a blizzard.

“Oh thank Arceus! You’re ok! I was worried you had…” she trailed off, not bothering to finish her thought.

[ ]

“What?”

“I g-guess I should explain?” she stuttered. “An explanation, yes. What is this place?” I asked. “It clearly isn’t an original part of the village.”

Uh... yeah, kinda would've expected Wind to have more of a reaction there since she's come face-to-face with a very strange Pokémon in a very unexpected way. Like I'd expect a moment to snap back to attention and get back to a more even keel. There's probably multiple ways you can do it, but the spot before "What?" feels the most logical if you're going to do a quick and dirty additive solution.
[*][10:53 PM]

“You… live here?”

“I’ve lived here for the last 900 years,” she replied, seemingly proud of that fact.

“So… you’ve been watching us? These past few months?”

Her pride turned to embarrassment. “You’re the first Pokemon in centuries to set foot in Snowfield Village. Of course I’d be watching you!”

I calmed myself. She clearly didn’t mean any harm.

That'sa bold assumption there. It might make sense to show Wind have the gears turn in her head a bit more before coming to that conclusion. e.x. something like:

I calmed myself. This Pokémon had been watching us for months without us knowing. If she had any untoward intentions, she could've acted on them at any time, and yet she didn't. It seemed safe to conclude that she clearly didn't mean any harm.

Or something along those lines.

“The coat?” I asked, gesturing towards Spark.

“Designed specifically for Jolteon. Consider it a housewarming gift.”

“Well… Thank you. You may have saved my partner’s life. I don’t know what I’d do without her.”

I... didn't get the impression that Spark was doing that badly. Like you either want to tone this sentiment down here, or else make Wind more worried earlier on. Since... yeah, Wind ought to have been a bit more worried earlier if Spark's life was legit in danger and Wind was cognizant of it.

She relaxed herself. Breathing deeply, she asked me why we had come.

“We’re an exploration team. We heard about an untouched island off the Mist Continent and decided to check it out. I don’t think we quite anticipated the weather.”

“An… exploration team?”

“Exploration teams are Pokemon dedicated to discovering the world and uncovering new treasures. The two of us are one of the best teams around.”

“Why not just use magic?” she inquired.

Wind: "... I'm sorry, say what?"

[ ]

“Magic? Like the fairy types?”

“You don’t know about magic? Isn’t it one of the most abundant sources of energy around?”

“No, Only fairies can access it. And they don’t like sharing. Why do you mention magic?”

She seemed intrigued. “Interesting, the Crystal Continent always had a strong affinity with magic. They could use magic to see for kilometers across the world, into other civilizations, and even out into space. They had no need for explorers.

It probably makes sense to drop a descriptive paragraph somewhere in this sequence to break up the block of dialogue, since between the last two blocks, there's an unbroken chain of 7 lines of almost pure dialogue, and Wind's mood changes in the middle of it. It might make sense to describe her mannerisms and body language a bit more, e.x. her being briefly confused or something if you go with the specific break suggested here.

Wind: "... Not sure how I feel about the idea of something lurking out there that could literally put me and Spark out of a job overnight."

That got my attention. A Continent with a heavy focus on the studies of magic? Surely they would have had a lot of treasure. Finding it would mark Team Tsunami as one of the greatest exploration teams known.

I... would not have pegged that as their names, but the more you know. Though this does feel like something that would've worked better established in the first chapter even if only via passing mention, since that's where the audience gets to know your characters.

“Ninetales, do you think you could help Spark and I uncover the Continent?” I asked, hopeful.

“Oh, please, call me Aurora. I don’t like my species name very much. As for helping you uncover the Continent? N-no, I’m sorry. The Continent was sunk to stop the approaching Voided Army. Uncovering it would unleash a terror that the world is not prepared for. But I can let you take some of the treasure from here, if you’d like?”

I looked over at Spark. She was still sleeping comfortably, but knowing her, she’d be up shortly. She never slept much longer than I did.

“No thanks. Just knowing about it is enough for now.”

Aurora: "... How are you not more concerned about the prospect of the Voided Army lurking in the shadows again when I very clearly hinted that it has existential implications for your world?"
:what:

Wind: "I mean, they're not a problem now so..." ^^;

She sighed. “Thank Arceus,” she muttered. “I don’t have to part with anything.” She seemed to notice the book in my bag. “You can go ahead and keep that. I don’t read much anymore anyways.”

Wow, somebody's a cheapskate.
:loltias:

“Thank you.” By this time, Spark had woken up. I could sense she still wanted to go home. After looking around a little, she noticed us talking. She came over, clearly ticked off at me.

“Mind explaining exactly what you’re doing with her, Windrunner? I don’t need you running after some other lady,” she hissed. “And don’t say nothing, because I know that’s a lie.”

“Calm yourself, Spark. This is Aurora, she probably saved your life last night. I’d be thanking her if I were you.”

Oh, so 'Wind' is just a nickname. Will file that one away for future reference.

Wind: "... How are this paranoid and irritable over a Crystal Ninetales and not in a greater state of wonder right now?"
:what:

Spark: "How are you just completely unbothered by said Crystal Ninetales being right there right now?" >_>;
Aurora: "You two do realize I'm right here, right?" >.<

With a “Hmmph, if you say so,” Spark turned. I sighed. I always knew she was hot-headed, but never saw her as the jealous type. Regardless, I just had one final thing to accomplish.

“I… I’ll be right back, Aurora. I need to do some damage control.”

I hurried after Spark, heading back out into the village. I chased her through the central plaza, finally calling out to her as I reached the fountain.

Er... yeah, if you do a v2 of this chapter onsite, you might want to emphasize the weather and any effects from the blizzard last night a bit more, since none of that's really coming through at the moment. Also, you explained offsite that the 'damage control' is supposed to be Wind talking about saving his relationship from being in a bit of an awkward spot with Aurora... which I didn't pick up on at all in the current text.

If and when you get that v2 hosted, this is something you want to establish before Aurora comes along so that way it better grounds Spark getting annoyed at Wind over talking to a strange female in an intimate fashion while she was in bad straits.

“Spark! Wait up! I need to talk to you!”

She stopped and looked at me. “It’s about that Ninetales,” she spat angrily, “isn’t it? You can forget about that.”

“N-no, Spark, I needed to apologize to you. While it’s true, I shouldn’t have gone off to talk with her before you woke up, I’ve also been a little more harsh than I should’ve been with you.”

“Is that all?” she asked. I nodded. “Wind, we’ve both been short-tempered lately. But yes, you shouldn’t have gone to talk with the Ninetales before I woke up. Gives the wrong impression to a lady, you know.”

I feel that this segment probably would've worked better if Spark woke up on Wind in an awkward-looking moment, since... yeah, she's feeling awfully annoyed at Wind for talking with someone who apparently saved her life. ^^;

I was relieved that she was over it so quickly. Spark typically holds a grudge about this kind of thing, though I suspected it was only because it was me that it was different.

“I’m glad we can agree that I’m the one in the wrong here.” We both laughed. It was good to have her back to normal. “Now how do you feel about finally heading home?”

She quizzically looked at me. “How? We both know now that there isn’t a tunnel off the island, and the waters and mountains are still too dangerous!”

She had a strong point, although our supplies were running extremely thin. I figured Aurora could help us. Spark must’ve read my face, because she was none too pleased when she realized my train of thought.

“Oh. You mean her,” Spark said, a little dejected. She looked away from me. After what felt like hours, she finally spoke up again. “Tell you what, Wind, let me do the talking and there won’t be any other problems.

Wind: "I... don't know if I can trust you on that one, Spark."

I wanted to counter that. But thinking my options through, not letting Spark have her way would just result in another argument. Sighing, I gave in. “Yeah, alright. I guess you’re right, Spark.”

With that minor setback out of the way, I accompanied her back inside for her talk with Aurora.

Upon our return to Aurora’s room, she was nowhere to be found, besides an empty fireplace with a hole. The tunnel twisted and turned downwards several times, before opening up into a much larger, much grander room. With a ceiling taller than Mt. Horn, artworks framed in diamonds, and doors the size of Lugia himself, it was evident that this was the legendary Seaward Chamber.

“Who dares enter my home!?” echoed a voice. It didn’t sound like Aurora, though. It was much more booming. Much more… legendary. “Whoever you are, prepare to face the almighty guardian of the seas!”

Well, this day just keeps getting better and better for Team Tsunami given that they're about to run into one hell of an angry bird.

Though you probably want to give some indication as to what the Seaward Chamber is earlier in the story, since that kinda came out of left field there. And if it is supposed to come out of left field, you should probably have Wind and Spark get a bit more weirded out about it

As Spark and I prepared ourselves for a battle against the very beast keeping us trapped on the island, another voice rang out. I recognized it as Aurora’s.

“Master Lugia, please! They bear no ill will towards you! They were simply searching for me!”

Wind: "Wait a minute, you two know each other?!" O_O;
Aurora: "It's kinda a complicated story... but... yes?"

There was silence for a few moments. Then, the doors flew open.

“AURORA! Have I not told you that we do not interfere with the business of the surface-dwellers!?” Lugia prepared his Aeroblast. “I shall blow you all off the face of the planet!”

You probably want to explicitly introduce Lugia to these two and show him off, since that's kinda a very special encounter there and... yeah. Presumably the two have some sort of reaction to it.

Spark: "I told you that talking to her was a bad idea!" >_>;
Wind: "I'm pretty sure we'd have run into this problem either way, Spark."
:uhhh:

Aurora jumped in front of us. Before Spark and I could even process what was happening, a blinding light shone, then a boom sounded, before slowly fading out. When the light finally faded away, we were back in Snowfield Village.

Spark looked around, more confused than I. “Wh-wha? Where’d Lugia go?”

“I teleported us away just before his Aeroblast hit. As strong as you may be, Lugia is at his peak strength right now. You’d be no match for him.” Aurora explained. “Now, I understand you’re wanting you want to go home?”

Wind: "But how did we even get there in the first place?! Was the Seaward Chamber even close to the village we were at?!" O_O;
Aurora: "... Influence of magic?"
:gardeshrug:

Wind: "Also, er... when was it ever established that we were strong enough to take on a Lugia again?"

Spark: "Oh come on Wind, how hard is it to just spam Totter Orbs ad nauseum?" >.<;

“Uh, er, yes, we are. Wait, how did you-?” Spark stammered out.

“Your supplies are running thin, you’ve been here for several months, it’s obvious, really. You simply haven’t left because the mountains are even more dangerous at this time of year, and, well, you’ve already seen that Lugia’s angry.”

Spark sat back. I could sense she was annoyed, she really wanted to fight Lugia, but at the same time, there was a bit of gratitude. I’m guessing she was having trouble focussing on one of her two extremes, annoyance or gratuity.

Yeah... I didn't exactly pick up vibes that Team Tsunami could actually put up a stiff fight there. In your v2, you probably want to play up something like their relative rank to emphasize that they're fairly experienced or something like that, since... yeah, I did a double-take at Spark's thought process here at first.

“Aurora, you referred to him as ‘master’. Is he-?” Spark got cut off by Aurora again.

“I want to say yes, but after what just happened, I don’t think I work for him anymore.” I noticed Aurora looked a little upset after she finished saying that. “So… I wanted to ask… er… how do I…?”

“Speak up! I can’t hear you!” Spark shouted.

“Spark, if you keep shouting, you’ll never hear her,” I reasoned. It was true, she could be loud when she wanted to.

“Says you! I have great hearing!”

Wind: "Spark, let's not piss off the one 'mon who could be our potential ticket out of this place while we're short on supplies, okay?"

“...Says the Jolteon who failed to hear Loudred in the mornings,” I retorted, playfully.

[ ]

“Says the Lucario who didn’t hear a word Chatot said!”

“Says the Jolteon who…”

Our friendly bickering went on for some time, with Aurora looking between us, clearly confused by the whole ordeal. When we eventually stopped, Aurora finally had a chance to speak again.

You probably want to show Spark's mood moderate a bit either here or in the prior block, since at first I read this as a much more serious argument between these two, and... yeah, the text very obviously doesn't assume that it's more than playful bantz.

“I wanted to… er… I… I wanted to, um…” -she shifted her paws a bit- ”join your team… if you’ll let me?”

Spark and I looked at each other. I was worried Spark would disapprove, given what happened yesterday. But to my surprise, she agreed. With her approval, as she’s kinda the leader, I agreed as well. “It’ll be nice to have someone else around.” I giggled a little bit. “Spark can be a little annoying at times.”

“Hey!” she squealed, giving me a playful headbutt.

“Ok, ok, I’m sorry!” I held my hands up in mock surrender. “Just don’t bite!”

Wind: "So... Aurora can join us?" ^^;
Spark: "I guess we do need a guide?"
Wind: "And you're going to explicitly tell her that...?"
Spark: "Let's not get crazy here."

Spark leapt at me. Deftly dodging, I countered with a quick jab. Spark faked a look of pain, but retaliated with another leap. This one knocked me over.

Spark and I continued to play-tussle for a while afterwards. Aurora even joined in after a couple minutes. We just spent the rest of the day getting to really know Aurora before we left for home.

Hm. I'm not really sure if it really comes through that Aurora joined, and especially that Spark's okay with it, since Spark was fairly hostile to Aurora earlier, and it's probably important to show that she's come around towards her instead of parsing her as "how dare you try and steal my BF!"

Chapter 3

It felt weird, waking up the next morning and seeing two sleeping beauties. Aurora and Spark, despite previously holding a one-sided rivalry, were all tangled up in each other. Deciding not to interrupt their beauty sleep, I carefully worked our exploration bag out from under Spark. I set aside about a half hour to start reading Astrali’s The Temporal Crisis. As I progressed, I realized that it wasn’t just the title that was eerily familiar, but the story written closely followed that of my own journey. Feeling a little chill, I put the book away with the intention of reading with Spark later.

You probably want to italicize your book name there to make it stand out, plus it's a common convention.

Wind: "(Oh thank goodness, those two are actually getting along well.)"

I then grabbed my quill and journal, opening the page to the nearest empty one. Using my aura to wet the quill, I entered today’s journal entry.

16th Aegigam, 675th year of the Second Era

I know, I know, I don’t typically write entries so close together, but so much happened yesterday that it feels inappropriate not to do so.

[I should start with the morning. Spark had recovered from a near-death experience thanks to the coat we found in the mysterious room the night before. Since I was the first to wake up, I allowed myself to feel Spark’s aura, hoping to check on her condition, only to notice an unknown presence. I later learned this belonged to Aurora, a Crystalline Ninetales.]

Aurora. Where do I even begin? She’s very timid, for one. It took some effort to locate her. She’s also beautiful. Not as much as Spark, in my own opinion, but still breathtaking. I’ll be surprised if Pokemon don’t crash into each other admiring her. Aurora is also one of the braver souls we’ve met. She saved us from Lugia’s wrath, not something many would be willing to do. I guess that means we owe our lives to her.

I feel as if that second-to-last paragraph there can be summarized since it's basically retelling the events of first chapter. e.x. something like:

I know, I know, I don’t typically write entries so close together, but so much happened yesterday that it feels inappropriate not to do so.

I started with a summary of the events of the past day. Of Spark's near-death experience, of finding Aurora's coat that saved Spark's life. Of the encounter with Aurora and her saving us from none other than Lugia's wrath. Aurora... where would I even start talking about her?

As for Aurora... she’s very timid, for one. It took some effort to locate her even in our own room. She’s also beautiful. Not as much as Spark, in my own opinion, but still breathtaking. I’ll be surprised if Pokemon don’t crash into each other admiring her. Aurora is also one of the braver souls we’ve met. She saved us from Lugia’s wrath, not something many would be willing to do. I guess that means we owe our lives to her.

Or at least that's my opinion.

I would call this expedition a success. We proved the existence of the Crystal Continent, after all. To top that, we also gained a new team member in Aurora. I really hope she has fun with us.

I am worried for her though. To be a member of a famous exploration team? It might be too much for her. I can try to help her fit in, but it will ultimately come down to how she feels. Not every Pokemon is cut out for exploring.

[ ]

We’re heading home today. Aurora should be able to teleport us past the mountains, and then we’ll make our way to Noe Town. From there, it’s just a simple Lapras ride back to Treasure Town.

I have to admit, in a weird sort of way, I’ll miss Snowfield Island. Despite its coldness and sudden storms. It truly does feel like an ancient village come back to life. Perhaps, with a civilization so engrossed in magic, they left a passage through time. I’d love to experience the Continent before it sunk. A journey for another day, though.

[ ]

On another note, I started reading that book I picked up yesterday, The Temporal Crisis, and it’s eerily similar to my own story. Astrali… they wrote this book. But in the early first era, how would they even know about this? It’s been almost 2000 years since this book was written, so unfortunately the answer is lost to time. My mind again flows back to the idea of an artificial passage of time...

You probably want to interleave the process of writing the journal more with Wind gawking about at his surroundings and checking up on Aurora and Spark or the like. It adds a bit more variety and action into the sequence, and some of what's presently in the journal can potentially be handled as an active thought process from Wind and then mentioned in passing that he wrote it down.

I closed the journal afterwards. Both ladies were still fast asleep. Understandable, I guess, they did wear themselves out yesterday. Despite my better judgment (really, all the choices I felt I had were terrible), I chose to wake Aurora up first and do damage control with Spark later. This was because I had yet to properly thank her for yesterday, though I also wanted to know if she could teleport us off of Snowfield before we made that our final plan.

:hoodLUL:

This 'mon's just a glutton for punishment, I see.

I had to think for a bit about how to wake her up. Any kind of noise was out of the question, as I didn’t want to wake Spark up, but pretty much anything else was fair game. I quickly listed the options I had for waking her up. A small fire? No, that would probably spread pretty quickly and burn the place down. Tapping into her aura? Probably not a good choice for someone I just met yesterday.

Why that's a bad idea IMO should probably be communicated more. Like the implication is that it's an intimate gesture, but that really requires reading through the lines to pick out.

That left just a variety of random massage techniques I typically used on Spark. I immediately decided against the Paw Massage and the Special, as the former I only use for Spark, and the latter would be wrong to do in someone’s sleep. That left the Quadruped Back Breaker, the Frontal Paw Fix, and muscle relaxation therapy. I ruled out muscle relaxation therapy, since it’s rather similar to the Special, leaving the two possible options as the Quadruped Back Breaker or the Frontal Paw Fix.

The Quadruped Back Breaker, despite the name, was designed to help the back return to its natural position for a quadruped Pokemon. Spark typically has need of it every night as she’s constantly running into walls and other Pokemon, causing it to pop out of place rather frequently.

The Frontal Paw Fix involves a deep cleaning of the Pokemon’s forepaws, which helps the muscles loosen up and prevents sprains. It sees use every other week or so. This seemed to be the best option, but there’s a slight problem.

Remember how I said they’re tangled up in each other?

Yeah, Aurora’s forepaws are under Spark. And I’m not really comfortable working on hind paws. Given the situation, I decided on the Quadruped Back Breaker.

It might merit mentioning in passing where/how Wind picked this up. Nothing too in-depth, but a passing mention is probably fair game. Since even if massages are a canonical part of Pokémon (or at least in mainline), there wasn't any real context given for how Wind knows this as an explorer. (Also, wouldn't he have logically used it or considered doing so on Spark sometime in Chapter 1 or 2?)

Using my aura, I located the area where her spine was most unnatural. Instead of immediately launching the back breaker, I took a moment to refresh myself.

Remember to use a series of precise yet gentle strikes along the back of the Pokemon. Stop if you feel bone to avoid causing any permanent damage to the Pokemon. Repeat four times or until the Pokemon’s back returns to its natural position.

Feeling confident that this would work, I prepared the first round of strikes. Launch. I felt her stir a little as her back shifted, but it wasn’t enough. Second round. There was a bit more movement here, but Aurora slumbered still. Third wave. This time, she woke up.

She looked around, a little groggy, a little confused, but she was awake. I let her take a few minutes to fully wake up, as well as untangle herself from Spark. As she worked to detach each tail from Spark’s unusually staticky fur, she looked at me questioningly. Even though I might dislike talking through telepathy telepathic communication, I decided it was the way for the best this time, so as to not wake Spark up.

You probably want to beat it over the audience's head why telepathic communication is the better option. Namely since (presumably from the context) it can be directed instead of "anyone in the room can drop in" like normal speech.

Why did you wake me up instead of her? After that little incident yesterday, that would be the wiser option, no?

I have my suspicions about the real reason Spark exploded on me yesterday. However, I felt it best to understand you better, as a team member. I feel Spark would just get in the way right now. I hope you aren’t too mad at that reason, I thought back in response.

I understand perfectly. But there is something else you wanted to talk about.

[ ]

You know?

Yes. It was a perk of learning under Espan. He taught me 6 of the 7 forms of Crystal Magic. I can also see a more curious side of you at the current moment.

As an advisory, but you want to treat this telepathic conversation much like you would one in normal dialogue, which means stopping to inject some description every now and then to break things up. Especially since Wind kinda wants to keep an eye on Spark to make sure his "Uhh... I can explain!
" moment from yesterday doesn't repeat itself.

[ ]

I see. So… about Lugia.

What about Lugia?

While we were down there, and I believe you mentioned this yesterday, but you called him master.

[ ]

You wish to inquire further details? I’m sorry, but even if we are team members that is something I still prefer to keep to myself. I'm not ready to provide further details right now.

:sceptical:

Though same deal with breaking up the convo. I added some recommended points for injecting such paragraphs for you, which mostly correlate to places where the topic or mood visibly changes in the convo.

[ ]

I see. I shouldn’t be too surprised, I guess. We did just meet yesterday. Anyways, I had a question for you.

Another?

[ ]

Yes. I was hoping you’d be willing to teleport us off the island. It’s a particularly brutal winter, so the mountains are dangerous, even for a Lucario. And, well, Lugia’s tantrums mean that we can’t exactly sail around them either, I explained.

[ ]

I see. If that’s all you’re worried about, I think I can manage that. You can rest easy, Wind.

Ditto here, though I have to wonder what Wind's internal thought process about Aurora's hesitance to open up about Lugia is, since... it's not really revealed.

Aurora cut off the telepathic conversation after that. Even without reading her, she was still being quite secretive around us. Not unreasonable, I suppose. As I turned away to plan a route home, I couldn’t help but feel that Aurora may be the key to unlocking the secrets of the Crystal Continent…

And this Astrali… The book he wrote regarding the Temporal Crisis… Who were they? How did they hold this prophetic information? The answers I sought eluded me still.

Kinda an abrupt jump in topic there. It might make sense for him to look at his book and get reminded of it or something like that, since I don't think that quite follows from "Hmm... I wonder about that Crystal Continent".

Alright, overall thoughts:

Okay, so there's obviously a number of things that are kinda structural issues. But in spite of them, it's still a cute and charming premise, with some characters that are already fun from what we can see in the story. I think if you sat down and cleared some of those issues up, it'd really allow your story to shine better, since admittedly there's some parts that make it a bit confusing to follow.

I kinda recommend getting a beta reader that can look over your story from an outside-in perspective as an audience surrogate, since it'll help you gauge whether or not there's some parts explanation-wise that are missing a couple steps that might otherwise make perfect sense to you with internal knowledge as an author. Assuming your existing beta doesn't already do that anyways.

I... admittedly wasn't expecting this review to turn out as critical as it did, but I do want to reiterate that I still had fun with your story @Sparkfire , warts and all. Though admittedly, I think that given that you know that much of these issues are in need of a fix, it probably makes sense to wait until you've had a chance to patch them up before give feedback beyond this point on a version of your story that you feel better captures your vision for it. Since I suspect that getting a wall of critiques you already know about and are working on fixing would probably get a bit old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom