• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them
In a world full of cursed dungeons and labyrinths, it takes great courage and responsibility to face danger in the names of those who cannot defend themselves, and it takes great experience to bring justice to the world. It only leaves one to wonder; what good are a group of meddling kids?

Splash is an orphaned Froakie with great ambition. His best friend, Clyde, is a relaxed Clefable with a tendency to linger in his shell. Maria is an adventurous and lighthearted Sprigatito with a big heart, and a sharp attitude. Altogether, the three go about their rescue team duties, seeking to bring justice to all those in need. Watch out, world! For this team of rookies may be far from warriors, but with the gift of determination, pride, and aspiration, you can count on these young explorers to move up the ranks!

Last edited:
Pilot: A dark night

Pikachuguy

A lazy straight guy
Pronouns
He/him/they/them

Pilot - A dark night​

At the brink of a dark night, all are at ease. Whether they are fast asleep and dreaming sweet dreams, or wide awake, sitting silently alone with their thoughts, all of those under the dim atmosphere are naught but calm.

Every night, stars shine brightly through the dark coat of the sky, along with the illumination of the bright moon. These stars are the light that remains, even in the darkest times. They are the balance of the darkness of the night, showing that there is still brightness in what seems to be a dark end. Each and every star seems similar from afar, but they are all diverse and varied in actuality. Nonetheless, the stars always seem to bring unity to all Pokémon of the world. The pure beauty of the stars seems to amaze all, and can lift the spirits of even the most unfortunate individuals.

And, as the stars glimmer throughout the night, there is no greater unity than that of two young Pokémon who lay on the hill to treasure the sight.

As the two Pokémon get comfortable, one of them break the prolonged silence.

“Say, I picked a pretty good spot, didn't I?” The rotund Pokémon chuckles. “Nobody here to bother us. No adults trying to boss us around. Just a nice isolated area where we can just relax and take some time inside our own comfort zones.”

“...You know this is the same spot we pick every time, right?” the frog-like Pokémon replies. “Nothing's changed.”

“And I'd like to keep it that way,” says the plump Pokémon. “Not everything has to change. Some things are just fine as they are.”

“I see....”

And for a moment between this conversation, there was a small period of silence. The two began to look at the stars again, and gaze at the beauty of the constellations.

The two had gone through quite a bit of their lives together. They were both orphaned children, but that detail did not factor in how they met. Splash, the frog-like Pokémon, had always lived in this town, even before his father and mother had given him away. On the other hand, Clyde, the rotund Pokémon, had been a young Clefairy when he had voluntarily left his place of origin in search of a new life. However, he had lost his way, and had been stuck out in the wild on his own. However, when all hope seemed lost for him, Splash had found him, and offered him shelter in the orphanage. From then on, Splash and Clyde had formed an unbreakable friendship.

The beautiful view of the constellations made them think back to the night their friendship had begun. They quietly sat under the dark sky, until Clyde had halted the silence again.

“Oh, what the heck. What am I gettin' all serious and philosophical for? The point of us being here is so we can get away from all the drama of the world, anyway. So, what do you say? Let's have a little fun.” Clyde said, standing up on his two feet and briefly stretching the arms of his large, star-shaped body. “What're we gonna do? Maybe kill some time in the forest? Or see who can float in the pond better? Or maybe try slapping each other to see who gets knocked out first?”

“I...I think we should actually go home. It is starting to get dark out.” Splash suggests.

“Pfft...Back in the ol' orphan's den?” Clyde scoffs. “I mean, I guess I could use a nap, but I don't feel like turning in yet.”

“You know, we're not supposed to be out this late, anyway.” Splash says.

“I know, but it's not like we're up to no good. I mean, I don't even know what 'no good' we could get into.”

“I could write a list.”

“Alright then, smart guy. If you really wanna go home that badly, then come on. I need to get my fair share of beauty sleep in, anyway. Gotta be nice and energized in the morning.”

“That's the spirit. Maybe that energy'll help you lose some weight along the way.”

“Hey, watch it, bub. These fists have just as much blubber as the rest of my body.”

The two boys walk down the hill, heading back toward the town. However, Splash is overcome by a certain sensation. He feels a slight tingle in his head, as if a silent alarm were going off in his brain. Suddenly, he gets the feeling of being watched.

He sharply turns his head, scanning the area for any suspicious activity. However, his star-shaped friend halts his slight panic.

“Hey, Splash the Slowpoke! Come on! I ain't getting any slimmer down here! Are your feet stuck to the ground or somethin'?”

“Uh... C-Coming!” Splash stammers, shrugging off the unusual feeling he had experienced.

The two boys rush down the hill, and make their way back toward town, returning to the orphanage.

Suddenly, a mysterious creature emerges from a group of trees.

“Hm… What an interesting pair.”

The unknown Pokémon walks out from behind the trees of the forest, and begins to climb up the hill.

As the Pokémon reaches the peak of the hill, it stares at the two boys as they run back on the road toward town.

“Perhaps they could prove as helpful…”

The anonymous Pokémon looks back toward the forest, and lets out a sigh.

“Who am I kidding…”

The mysterious creature returns to the forest, heading back to its spot behind the trees.

Later...

As the two boys return home, they head upstairs to their room and prepare to turn in for the night.

The room in which the two stay is relatively simple. There are two sleeping mats, and a desk where a few board games are set up. However, that was enough for the two boys. They entertained each other plenty, anyway.

Splash and Clyde both silently lay down on the mattresses, as they both begin to fall asleep for the night. However, Splash is now the one to break the silence.

"Hey, Clyde...Do you ever feel like you want to, y'know, 'get out there'?" Splash questions.

"No idea what you're talking about." Clyde replies, with a rather monotone expression.

"You know, sometimes I feel like I want to explore a bit, y'know? I want to see the rest of the world...You can't really do that in an area like this."

"Yeah, thank god." Clyde scoffs.

"What do you mean? Don't you feel the same way? After all, if we both hadn't done a bit of meddling, we would've never met in the first place. And you would've stayed in that old lax village of yours."

"Yeah, true. But you know what? There's more to it than that. And that 'little trip' of mine offered enough 'excitement' for me than I'll need in a long while. After all, the only reason I went out of my shell then was because I was discontent with my life. I'd say I'm pretty cool with how things are now."

"I guess." Splash sighs.

Clyde yawns. "Anyways, I think it's about time for me to catch some Zs now. I'm on the verge of passing out. Night, bud."

"Night." Splash replies.

Clyde closes his eyes. He falls asleep, partially sinking into the mattress from the weight he puts on it.

Splash sits alone with his thoughts, reflecting on the way he had spent his life. For many years, this orphanage had been the only home he ever knew. Every day had been more or less the same, and if it weren't for Clyde, he'd have nobody to spend his extremely mundane life with. He had always wished to have a more adventurous life, where he could freely see the world around him. He had always heard of 'rescue teams' that formed at quite young ages, not too much older than him, who had used their experience and freedom to help those in need. Although he was just about 14 years old, Splash was still a very naive and inexperienced boy. However, if he were to get a taste of the outside world, he'd probably get a better sense of maturity. A better sense of taste. A better sense of...

"Uggghhh..." Clyde groans, while still fast asleep. "Can you add..more sprinkles on top of that..."

...Decency.

Splash turns over in his bed, trying to tune out Clyde's sleep-talking. He closes his eyes, and decides to doze off, himself.

Soon enough, both of the boys were out cold. The two fell asleep, completely turning in until the next day.

To
Be
Continued

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nice to see a new fic from you here. It's a big step up over the last that you posted--you've made big strides with your writing!

As with your last fic, it looks like we'll be focusing on something a little different than the standard PMD story, which is always fun. I wonder whether the pokémon watching them is some sort of powerful entity, or if they're just a regular pokémon looking for help. The latter would be a good place for these two to start on the road to becoming a rescue team, at least!

This chapter doesn't give us much of a hint about the plot, but it does nicely introduce us to our main characters! I'm looking forward to learning more about Clyde's backstory in particular. What exactly about his old village made him determined to leave? And what sort of "excitement" did he encounter upon leaving?

One thing you want to watch out for is dialogue punctuation. When you have dialogue that would end in a period but which is followed by a dialogue tag like "he said," the dialogue ends in a comma and the tag is not capitalized. So "'...You know this is the same spot we pick every time, right?' The frog-like Pokémon replies." should be "'...You know this is the same spot we pick every time, right?' [b[t[/b[he frog-like Pokémon replies." and "'And I'd like to keep it that way.' Says the plump Pokémon." should be "'And I'd like to keep it that way[b[,' s[/b]ays the plump Pokémon.", etc.

This is a nice little opening that does a good job of establishing our characters' circumstances and desires. The story's still wide open, and based on the summary, there are still a couple important characters we've yet to meet! It'll be fun seeing where you take it. Good luck with your writing!

Top Bottom