• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Moonlit Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave followed the direction of Saltriv's voice and found them under attack by their Shadow. Yelling about how they'd hurt people and were hated. He saw Shadow's pleading, bloodied face, and shuddered, and dragged Radiance heaving out of the depths of his brain.

Two shimmering golden shields appeared over Saltriv, and another two over him. The Radiance was discordant, somehow, but strengthening. The world was clearing, a little.

Nate was there too, he noticed finally. Of course he was. Fucker better not start anything.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Oh, great. Another one of these fuckers. "Hey! Piss off!" he yelled at the shadow chikorita. "Can it with your weird shadow nonsense. All this 'everybody hates you' shit gets real fucking old!"

At least it was only a chikorita. Easy enough to deal with. If it didn't take off or disappear of whatever, it would get a soaking.

Golden light appeared around Saltriv, and, hang on, that looked like... Nate glanced away from the shadow for a moment, and sure enough, there was that mightyena again. Was that bastard following him now? What the hell was his damage?

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Stay away!" the Shadow said to the Mudkip and the Mightyena. Two Ancient Powers formed above the Chikorita, and were launched towards the ground right in front of Nate and Dave, not hitting the Pokemon themselves. "I don't want to hurt you!"

Saltriv tried to run towards the two Pokemon, but the Chikorita wrapped two vines around them and tried to drag them away. "Please! I don't want to hurt our friends!" the Shadow pleaded to the Bayleef, voice filled with fear. "Please just run away!"

Saltriv's Shadow used Umbral Urging!

Saltriv struggled to free themselves. The vines were too tight. They tried focusing on the life around them, of the trees, grass, and bushes, and focus that life into a Grass Pledge to knock the Shadow away.

Three columns of leaves erupted under the Chikorita, which yelped in pain, but so did Saltriv, as three wounds appeared on their belly in the exact same places where they struck their Shadow.

What could they do? They couldn't hurt their Shadow without hurting themselves. Unless...

Light appeared over the entire group, a miniature sun, to try and drain the shadows away with light. Their Shadow shrunk slightly, but didn't disappear.

Saltriv used Shining Sunbeams!

"Please! Help!" Saltriv pleaded to Nate and Dave, their voice filled with just as much fear as their Shadow.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave jumped as the Ancient Power smashed into the ground in front of him. The Shadow was pulling Saltriv away, the vines just gentle enough to pass through the shields; the Bayleef tried to fight back only to hurt themself in the process. Christ. "Look, you're the only fucking reason they're hurting anyone," he growled at the Shadow. Come on, come on, Radiance. No more shields manifested as he tried to focus, but a golden glow enveloped Saltriv nonetheless. There you go. Come on, just fucking stop.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate immediately started gathering water when the chikorita hurled rocks at him and Dave, but when Saltriv lashed out at it, all the damage he was doing seemed to be coming right back at him. Nate scowled and spat his attack at the shadow's feet instead of directly at it, hoping to spook it. Saltriv's sunlight attack seemed to be shrinking the thing pretty well; maybe if they could keep it distracted, the bayleef would be able to finish it off on their own.

"Hey, come on!" he yelled at the dark chikorita. "You want me to get out of here? You're gonna have to fucking make me!" He charged for the shadow pokémon, hoping to drive it back.

Nate used Taunt!

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
"Please! I don't want to hurt you!" the Shadow pleaded, as Nate collided with them. They were knocked back, but they didn't retaliate against Nate.

As the golden glow enveloped Saltriv, they felt themselves come to their senses more and more. They were almost there. Just a little bit more...

Sunlight began to appear above the gro—

Saltriv used Blacklight Meltdown!

Suddenly a massive explosion occured, coming directly from Saltriv. The Bayleef and the Chikorita had identical looks of terror on their faces as they were engulfed by the blast.

Last edited:

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate had managed to separate the shadow from its host, only for a huge explosion to hurl him into the bushes. He came to a few seconds later, upside-down tangled in snagging branches and jabbing leaves, with a familiar headache and the minty taste of reviver energy at the back of his throat. Ugh.

What the fuck had just happened? Nate tried to pull himself free, snapping twigs and scraping himself on bark, untangling one limb at a time. Then, with a crunch and a chorus of snaps, crunches, and pops, the branches holding him upright gave way and dumped him face-first onto the ground. Nate stumbled out of the bushes, scowling and rubbing at his head.

There was now a broad clearing around where Saltriv had been standing, the ground scoured down to dirt and trees blown sideways as if by a heavy gale. A thick haze of Blacklight drifted over the area, tingling on the air. Saltriv was lying unconscious in the middle of all of it. Ground fucking zero. No sign of Dave; he'd probably gone flying, too.

At least that shadow bastard was gone. Nate slowly made his way over to Saltriv, eyes watering from the stinging Blacklight residue. He pulled another reviver seed from his bag and pressed it up against Saltriv's side.

Nothing happened. The seed still glowed, fully charged. Nate frowned and pressed in harder, to no effect.

What the fuck. Nate moved around the other side of the bayleef and tried shoving the reviver into their chest instead. Still nothing. Too unsettled to be gentle, Nate jammed it into Saltriv's mouth instead, where it continued to glow. Saltriv wasn't waking up.

Nate glanced around desperately, searching wildly for some kind of explanation. What the fuck. What the fuck had just happened? The bayleef hadn't just up and fucking died, had they?

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Everything exploded into blinding black light. The golden barriers shattered instantly, the light tearing into him with the same dreadful cold, vibrating agony of the moment he'd died, drawn helplessly into the Blacklight sphere.

He felt himself crashing into the ground, bouncing off it, then landing again, biting his tongue hard. Everything ached, his vision spinning, but by some unfortunate miracle he didn't actually lose consciousness.

"Nngh, fuck."

For a good minute he just lay there, a high-pitched ringing in his ears, pain throbbing in parts of his body he barely knew existed. His chest was cold and buzzing with a familiar clarity. Why even fucking get up. He could just lie here for a while, see if anyone even noticed. Nate'd be fucking thrilled. Probably Mia'd be happier just sticking with him, somebody who was actually helping her in her fighting dreams instead of dragging her with him everywhere whether she liked it or not. (Mia? Oh. She'd just gone back through the portal, hadn't she, instead of waiting for him to do whatever nonsense with Saltriv. Of course she had.)

Something wet touched the side of his face, and he blinked. It was... Shadow. Fucking licking him. Why.

"We need to get Saltriv back to town," said the other Mightyena anxiously. "Wake up."

Yeah. Yeah, they did, didn't they. Nate was too small to move them anywhere. Why the fuck was he still lying here feeling sorry for himself.

He took a deep breath and dragged himself to his feet, wobbling dangerously as he tried to get his bearings. He'd gotten thrown back into uneven, bumpy grass on the opposite side from the forest, the blades flattened against the ground by the force of the explosion, all pointing conveniently back to where the unconscious Bayleef was lying. The Shadow, at least, was gone.

By Saltriv's side stood the Mudkip, looking around wildly.

He approached, Shadow staying close by his side.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
Saltriv's chest rose and fell, their tail occasionally twitching. Several wounds covered their body.

They were unconscious and quite injured, but alive.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate scooped the reviver back into his bag and circled Saltriv, trying to figure out what to do. He couldn't move the bayleef, they were like at least three times his size. Run back to Destiny Village to get help? Yeah, and how long would that take, with him going at like a tenth of a mile an hour?

And how much time are you going to waste sitting here wondering, dumbass? Right, he should just. He should just go and--no, wait, he had a fucking badge, he could just call for help, he just hadn't thought to do that like a fucking moron, wasting time

He was fumbling his badge open when Dave showed up, looking like hell with leaves all sticking out of his fur and another fucking shadow following beside. Nate froze. Fucking hell. Had the chikorita, like, morphed into a mightyena, or had Dave's shadow just decided to show up out of nowhere? If it was Dave's, it hadn't made trouble in the past, but who fucking knew with those assholes.

"What the hell happened?" Nate demanded, looking warily back and forth between Dave and the shadow. Swear to god if that thing started attacking he'd blast it into next week, he was so fucking done with this shadow bullshit. "My reviver ain't working. You got another one?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Nate looked tense, glancing between him and Shadow. Like he expected him to explode too. "It was just one of those Radiant explosions. Like what Astrid does every fucking fight, except I guess with Shadows mixed in or something. Revivers never work on that shit." He bent down by Saltriv's side as Shadow went around to the other side and tried to push the Bayleef onto his back. He glanced back at Nate and took another deep breath. "Come on and just help me carry them, for fuck's sake."

"Thanks for helping Mia train,"
said Shadow quietly. "She loves it." Dave clenched his teeth, claws digging into the ground, but didn't say anything.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"You think? Ain't never seen Astrid make, like, no radioactive Blacklight cloud," Nate said. But whatever. The bayleef was breathing and, given they were a pokémon, they'd probably be fine as long as they got some medical attention. Nate watched, dubious, as Dave settled down next so Saltriv, but whatever, if he thought he could carry the bayleef, he could be Nate's guest. Ain't like Nate would be getting them anywhere on his own.

Nate went around to Dave's far side, dragging first one, and then the other of Saltriv's legs over the mightyena's back. After that, over to the far side to try and shove the bayleef the rest of the way--and that's where the shadow was. Nate tried to ignore it, bracing himself and shoving Saltriv as hard as he could, but apparently the bastard was feeling talkative.

"Sure?" he said. Whatever the fuck that was about. "Just fucking push."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Shadow's ears flattened against his head, but he complied and pushed until Saltriv was reasonably balanced. Dave pushed himself up. Honestly the Bayleef was lighter than he would've expected given their size. So long as they didn't fucking fall off him. Shadow could probably grip the stem of the leaf in his mouth or something, try to keep them from sliding off.

"Got it," he grunted. Where was that portal again? He looked around for it and headed that way without looking in Nate's direction. Shadow, though, stared at the Mudkip for a moment before catching up to keep Saltriv balanced.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate followed behind the two mightyena, watching in case he needed to stop the bayleef from sliding off Dave's back. The shadow one looked like it had things under control, though. He could probably go on ahead. Theoretically go on ahead. Dave wasn't exactly hurrying, but Nate had to keep up a trot if he didn't want to get left behind entirely.

His head throbbed. Nate glared at Dave's tail. This fucking guy. All day he'd been giving Nate shit. Why the fuck had he decided to come out to the damn forest in the first place?

"Dunno why you felt like you needed to keep following me around today, but if you don't piss off, we're gonna have real fucking problems. Dunno how much clearer I can make it that I don't want to see no more of your fucking face," he said.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
Dave felt his hackles rising. This motherfucker was seriously going to do this right now? "What the fuck are you talking about. I came here because we were on a goddamn mission, in case you didn't notice. You know, the bit where several other people were there. Brisa's the one who asked me to pick this expedition. Why the fuck would I want to follow you?"

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
"That's what I'm trying to figure out. Want to rub it in that you're a mightyena? Hoping I'll kick you ass again because you're into that, too? Whatever. Point is, there was two other missions you could have picked from if you were in a mission-y mood, and there was definitely no reason you had to stick your snout into this Saltriv shit instead of following everyone else home. But fine, next time I ask for backup on something, I'll make sure I put a little 'no dogs allowed' sign just for you, huh?"

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
What kind of petty fucking bullshit was this guy even on. He wanted to make a dozen barbed remarks. Look, if you've got such an inferiority complex that you'll have an aneurysm at other people evolving when you apparently can't, that's your own fucking problem. What, are you so fucking scared of me you can't deal with me just existing somewhere within a hundred-foot radius? What the fuck is your fucking obsession with me? Very flattered and all that you've apparently spent all fucking day thinking about me but I'm straight. Do you seriously think you of all people are so great and important that I'd ever decide where to fucking go based on whether you're there?

All of it rang hollow right now against the cold buzz lingering in his chest. "Look, I'd love to never see your fucking face again either. Sounds like a plan."

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate had been expecting some kind of snide comeback, some kind of stupid sarcastic remark, same as the mightyena always had on tap. But instead the guy just agreed with him?

Well, good. Fucking good. Asshole was afraid of another beatdown, was he? "Fucking great. Make sure you stick to it." Nate kicked a pebble into the bushes, irritation bubbling in his chest. God, how could Dave manage to be so insufferable even when he was agreeing with something?

Right now would be a great time to pick up the pace and blow past the fucker, leave him to drag his sorry self along behind. Not going to happen, though, at least not for more than a couple minutes before he'd have to stop and wheeze and look like a fucking asshole. So there was nothing to do but follow along behind, pissed off and not even really sure why, until they'd dropped the bayleef off at the infirmary and gone their separate ways.

<><><>​

[RD13] When Your Pet Rock Wanders Off (Nate, Seyka, and Rocky)

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Nate stared into the trees. It was nighttime beneath them, just like always. Supposedly the place was supposed to be clear now, without the "curse" or whatever the fuck that was. It was nothing more than a dungeon now. Which was still likely to be pretty fucked up, since all dungeons were, but at least they shouldn't have to deal with anything like the arceus that showed up last time. Which, thanks a fuckton for that, Soda.

It was a good thing Nate had been able to bring Seyka with him. Even if the forest still was doing its horrorshow, Nate was pretty sure the guy would've been able to handle it, no problem. "You ain't been to this place before, have you?" Nate asked the skarmory. He nodded at the trees. "Used to be it had some weird thing where it'd take whatever you were thinking about and twist it into something that would try to kill you. Supposedly it don't do that no more, but, you know. Want to be careful and all. Shouldn't take long to find Rocky and get out again."

RJR Basimilus

Arceus is nice I suppose...
Partners
  1. arceus-fighting
  2. lurantis
  3. arceus-poison
  4. haxorus
"Well, I wouldn't mind if the trees killed me," the Skarmory replied lightly, glancing around. "If it's anything I think about, then maybe I'd die in a nice way."

Seyka shrugged. "But I suppose caution precludes experimentation, so I'll think about something nice instead. Anyway, I'm sure Rocky will be fine. I can't imagine a tree would want to kill him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom