• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Grass Continent ~ Amp Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zeraora leaned forward, squinting. "...Yes. I've seen a lot of those at the base of the crater, along with the meteor itself. I didn't really get a good look at it, though. I touched it out of curiosity and, well, that's how this happened." She waved her darkened paw.

"You can't just disappear a meteor like that," Cal said, frowning. "...How long ago did you go there?"

"When the meteor landed? Well, just a little while later after I fled, I was back at Amp Plains. Then a few days later, I find out giant Pokemon are rampaging there... At least, I think it was a few days..." Zeraora hummed. "That thing that happened to my fist made it pretty hard to tell time. Could've been the same day, could've been a week..."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"Sounds like maybe y'got to the meteorite afore even God Squad. Makes me wonder about this theory that one of 'em has been doin' business with Giovanni."

Luz pawed at her chin. This... this wasn't what she'd expected at all. She just had to make the best of it that she could.

"It also sounds like the rock was suffused with Blacklight as well as Eterna energy from the start. Which means its Shadow predates Diyem's arrival."

If they could just know what happened when God Squad were attacked and what happened on Telum... But they didn't. All they could do was make guesses based on the actions of others.

"Has anyone tried to attack ya since then, ma'am?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Went into hiding," Zeraora said. "I didn't get attacked at all."

"That's good, at least," Cal said. "But... I wonder if we should get that hand of yours checked later anyway. Just in case."

"Hmph... If you think it's necessary, I'll comply."

It didn't seem like Zeraora knew much more. Still... this was possibly a new angle at an old scene. Perhaps they could glean something from it?

"Well." Zeraora smiled. "I guess that says a bit about my lifestyle as a Zeraora, too, doesn't it? Toughing things out and working with what I have. I suppose we aren't too different in that way, are we?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz grinned. "Yeah, that sounds right. I ain't one to give up or give in, that's fer sure. I like that about you, too!"

Right, what still needed sorting...

"You wouldn't happen to remember or have a guess at any specific attacks yer attacker used? Anyway, I don't doubt that y'got yer Blacklight under control, but the team's already fought a slew of legendary pokémon affected by th'stuff, an' it spreads just from bein' used. Yer call. But actually... If'n y'reckon yer up fer it, we could use yer help in these fights we keep havin'. Only folks as can handle the same energies y'got there in yer paw can lay a digit on 'em. Bit crowded, might not be yer speed if you're that against company."

Last edited:

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I'll consider it," Zeraora said. She wasn't going to consider it. "But let Pop know, I guess. If something's urgent, he knows where to find me."

Then, closing her eyes, she tried to recall that clash so many moons ago. "I remember... they hurt quite a bit. I don't know the kinds of attacks specifically, it was all a rush. But some of it was... a sinister darkness. And others, it was a burning, bright power. ...Pretty sure they were also throwing Ground-element attacks at me, the way some of those grazing shots had my instincts running wild. Seemed like they were lobbing a lot of different elemental strikes, actually. I know I saw some fire and water, too, and even electricity to lure me away or catch me off guard."

"So... someone who knows Radiant and Shadow attacks," Cal said, "is invisible, and can also throw a ton of different elemental attacks at you all at once?"

"Seems so," Zeraora said. "Someone who fits all those abilities at once, I'd have trouble finding it. But I do know one thing." She nodded. "There was only one person attacking me. Just me and the assailant. I don't think this was a duo or more--they were flying solo. They were doing too few things at once to be more than one person."

"So one person who can do all that." Cal sighed.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Luz nodded, pawed at her cheek. "Alright. Guess that's everythin' about the scoundrel. We'll toss it to the team, see if we can't pin someone. An' hey. Thanks fer this, ma'am. There was more I wanted to talk about, but... I'm grateful fer yer time already if'n y'care to see us gone now. If you'll answer just one more question, though – what made ya wanna take up this life? It was voluntary, I take it?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zeraora's expression had a bit of a flash for a moment, there. "...Mm." She turned away. "I'm only a lesser god. There's not a huge demand or high standard for becoming one. I don't really get invited to the big meetings. But let's just say I took this lifestyle up... partly due to some heartbreak." Zeraora glanced off. "...Someone I cared for... didn't pass ascension. Remained mortal. He was fine with it. I wasn't. We had a fight." She sighed. "...That was a long time ago, but I guess I just got used to living alone after that. Well, not got used to. It was just the push I needed to realize why I just... wasn't happy sometimes. It's so draining interacting with people."

"So you... learned you liked the loner life by accident?" Cal asked.

"Funny how that goes." Zeraora smirked. "And no, we made up. He's long since died, too, but I'm sure he's keeping tabs on me over in the wherever. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll look to retire. Not now, though."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Zeraora's stoicism had a limit, then. And an origin, perhaps.

"I'm glad you've found the way of livin' that fits yer soul," said Luz, "but I don't reckon I'm like you in that way, ma'am. Mind you... Fer my 'ancestor', the stories tell of 'em takin' a lover each generation. I don't think I could do that. I'd fear hurtin' fer it th'way you must've done when yer friend couldn't follow ya into immortality. I'll think on that, ma'am."

She made a motion as if to tip the brim of an imaginary hat. "Thank ye kindly fer y'time . . . an' fer sharin' what y'have. We'll be goin' now."

Goodbyes said, Luz turned back into the storm. It'd be a longer trip with her shorter legs, post-vaporisation, but it'd be easier for Cal to keep pace. And really, wasn't that only right?

<><><><><>​

R17 ~ Cry Thunder

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Sometime before their final battle...

Distant rumbles of thunder rolled across the charred landscape, the air carrying a charged scent of ozone. Seemingly endless gray skies stretched as far as one could see, matching the ashen earth. Small sparks danced across the ground and over blackened trees, and the sky flashed, almost as if in answer.

Perhaps to other types, the area would have felt bleak and depressing. But as an electric type, Koa found it invigorating and comforting. After hearing about the area, he decided he needed to visit it at least once before he left. After all, a place like this might kill a human. But as a pokemon, he could enjoy it in a way he might never have the chance to later.

He was even more glad Brisa had agreed to accompany him on his little exploration, since she wanted to talk to the Zeraora that lived out here.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
The silence between them that lasted through the loudest part of the storm, where tree cover was thinnest, gave Brisa time to think. She'd already contemplated much of late. The Blacklight, the coming end, her own feelings on the Miracle fight... Koa would have his own feelings, and she wasn't sure what to expect. But the fact he hadn't volunteered them wasn't a good sign.

"Say, Koa," she said, at last. "How're y'feelin' 'bout that scrap at the Colosseum, anyhow?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa snorted. The colosseum battle. After asking around he'd found out something was up with it. And clearly it went beyond the Miracle Matters just having strange powers.
"I don't know what to think," he grumbled finally. "But we fought great. And we won. So I guess that's all that matters."

Right?

His mouth twisted into a frown and he pawed at the ashen ground. "That's what I tell myself at least."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"It don't have to be all that matters," Brisa replied, evenly. "You could be mad about it if'n y'wanted. Or even just that trick they pulled at the end there on you. I'm just sayin', it'd be fair enough if you felt hoodwinked an' bushwhacked an' whatever."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa's jaw tightened and he reflexively swallowed. The memory of being silenced like that still lingered like an open wound. For a moment, he gazed at the sky, watching the clouds crackle and flash. His eyes narrowed. "I tried to call out you know," he said finally.
His old anger flared briefly, like the lightning in the sky. Not towards Brisa, but towards himself. "I couldn't do anything for the team. All of my moves were useless."

I was useless.

Bitterness slipped into his tone. "And all it took was one lousy attack."

Last edited:

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
"I've been damn near knocked outta fights before now 'cause of shit like that, though never quite so bad."

Brisa pursed her mouth. Koa was taking it hard. Why was he so reluctant to admit that? At least he was.

"Be reasonable with yerself, at least. You were immobilised, but most everyone was knocked out and such. The swing of the fight at that point was down to the folks with relevant techniques, and there ain't nothin' wrong with puttin' yer best performance out early. The team made good decisions in the field t'gether, an' you were no less essential than anyone else."

She gave him a tired smile. "Yer ability to provide a conduit fer Blacklight is part of why we even stood a chance 'gainst those motherfuckers. Y'think we could balance our energies half so well without ya? Y'think I could pull off Blacklit melées without ya?"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
"I know all that. I mean, I do now. Losing is part of being a trainer, and I have to accept that. But..." he chewed on his next words for a few moments. Fear and frustration flickered through his eyes.

"But this was different. I didn't just lose or get knocked out. I was... crippled." The words stung just to admit. If the Miracle Matters had managed to pull of something like that earlier, or worse yet... His thoughts flashed to the entity they'd battled on the moon. The same entity they'd be facing in just a week. It didn't matter in a casual fight. But if the stakes were higher...

He spoke his next words quieter. "What happens if that Blacklight thing does something like that?"

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded, and blew air through her nose in heavy acknowledgement.

"You do what you can. Reposition yerself. Use a fallback technique. Recover yer stamina. Use yer items. Have y'seen the budget we've got fer this one? 'S'fuckin' princely, is what it is."

She bit her lip. That wasn't quite the heart of it.

"You'll do yer goddamn best, an' it'll be enough. It'll be enough to me."

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
A glimmer of a smile reappeared on Koa's face. Her words heartened him. It was true, by now he had enough to afford all kinds of items and such. "You're right," he said ruefully. It felt a little silly to worry about such things when he knew better, but the reassurance still felt good.

"What about you? Are you mad about the whole divine energy thing? I mean, those Miracle Matters were talking a big game but in the end we weren't just fighting them." The deception certainly felt annoying but the knowledge they had inadvertently perhaps overcome a fraction of Arceus power was... certainly interesting to consider.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa shook her head, but her smile was rueful. "I dunno. I love a good clean fight, and that... That weren't it. I'm fine with puttin' on a show, sparrin', experimentin', whatever, but the thing that gets me is that they trash-talked us, snooped on our battle records, an' went outta their way t'put us on the back foot... And then, after givin' us every disadvantage, it turns out we were bein' played? I dunno what t'make of that."

She scratched irritably at an ear. Pop was a good sort, and perception mattered on Cibus, but she didn't have to like it.

"I guess I'm neither mad nor happy. I'm . . . acceptin' that it were just another ordeal fer us t'get through. An' we fuckin' did. It's like ya said. We weren't jus' fightin' 'em. We overcame Pop's power. The supreme divine motherfucker 'imself, an' we still won!"

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Koa gave a disdainful snort and shook his head. Hearing Brisa put it that way only put into even clearer perspective why they were so annoying. He still remembered how confidently Aria had spoken and how Kora had acted. And the taunts they delivered in the battle, acting high and mighty.

Yet...

Slowly, his scowl of annoyance shifted into a smug, devilish grin. "Yeah. And even with all their smug little advantages, and with power from Pop... they still couldn't beat us! I mean, they knew our battle tactics beforehand!" he barked out a laugh, unable to help sounding just little prideful. "We're pretty good at this, huh? That Blacklight thing doen't stand much chance I bet."

He knew better now than to be overconfident, but reveling in their feat still felt good.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's smile was dry as dust, thinking of just how fucking gruelling their final challenge may yet be, but it was a little easier to believe they could secure a victory.

"You just keep showin' up to trainin', Koa," she chided, gently. "Ain't much longer now... Every hour counts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom