• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Grass Continent ~ Amp Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"A will and testament," Zeraora repeated. "...You are, in a way, aren't you? Dying to Cibus. It's grim to phrase it that way, but really, by the time you return, if ever, perhaps nobody will be the same. But I think you've already done a lot to leave this world better than when you'd arrived. Even the Prairie you'd fought those Magikarp is repaired by now."

She sighed, thinking. "Yes. You'll be remembered for a long, long time, and not just by the Legends who were there to witness you."

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa shrugged. "Don't matter none too much to me whether I'm remembered generations from now. I'm satisfied to have been happy and served the public. And I mean that."

She swallowed, brow furrowing. "It is like death, I guess. I don't think of it that way fer myself, but as y'say, folks here can't expect t'see me again. Within a normal lifetime, if ever."

She smirked at her companion. "Maybe I'll see a few familiar faces. It'd be worth it fer that."

It'd be worth it for the goddamn food alone. Never change, Cibusean culinary traditions.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Guess I have a higher chance of seeing you again than the mortals around," Zeraora remarked, but there was a flash of doubt--optimistic doubt, oddly enough. "Well... maybe." She looked at her paw, frowning. "I'm wondering if there's a way for me to teach this... art to others. I don't think I should have it alone. And... if one day, perhaps I'm not around as much..."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa pawed her chin. "The Blacklight might be volatile, but it ain't too different in kind than Divinity. I'd feel reassured knowin' a cadre of responsible Blacklight Wielders were lookin' out fer my adoptive homeworld once the posse are gone."

Brisa looked sidelong at Zeraora. "Wait, what did you mean by 'one day yer not around so much'?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zeraora hesitated there, but then a little smile, almost serene, replaced that worried look. "Well, honestly," she said, "one thing I was considering... was maybe looking around again. And if I get comfortable enough, I might... look for someone and retire. It's an era of peace, after all. Our hold on Cibus is at its weakest... We won't be very necessary for a while. But I'd want to pass along my power to carry on before then, too."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa's throat tightened for a moment, and she dug a claw into her palm, wishing, wanting to be that aspirant, wanting to stay, wanting this to be her world, her home, her responsibility. But she had to go. Soon. It would not be her.

The moment passed. The two kept climbing the mountain. Birdsong, flower-scent and sunlight filtered back into Brisa's perception.

"Good luck findin' a worthy acolyte," she said. "And in findin' a peaceful retirement. What's it like, contemplatin' takin' mortal form and name again after so long?"

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"It's odd, but it's almost a relief to think about," Zeraora replied. "When you live for so long, any kind of change can be scary or intimidating, but in the end it's just another change. I already know what death is like. Maybe this time I'll get to greet it like an old friend." She chuckled, a paw just under her nose. "I do wonder how Yveltal is doing."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Scary or intimidating. So there was the admission – that Zeraora had anxieties of her own. Cibus had shown Brisa time and time again that even the gods were people, with hearts and minds, but this confession from a zeraora . . . hit her more sharply. And then, a moment later, it became a comfort.

Brisa snorted. "C'mon, partner. You can't just tell me ya know what death is like an' not elaborate. Let's hear it."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"Oh?" Zeraora glanced at Brisa. "Well. For a brief time, I had explored the stars in the little... spiritual section of Cibus, where those who have fallen and are laid to rest shall remain until it is time for the world to move on. That is when the Voice of Life is said to guide us onward into... I believe you call it the Overworld. Still, I like to think Cibus is far from that time. And, well. When you live as long as I have, you have a close call or two. There were times when I thought I would be adrift in the astral sea again. It's... peaceful, but I'm too restless to stay peaceful for long. I think you could agree with that."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa recalled the starry plains of Spirit's Edge. A strange fate. But perhaps . . . not so dreadful as one might fear?

"My idea of peace involves keepin' plenty active," agreed Brisa. "I need purpose t'keep me breathin'."

In the alpine air, each breath was cool and sweet, but already the thin mountain air had begun to chill her lungs. In only a short while, they'd made it a fair distance. Such was the agility and endurance of Legendary bodies, she supposed.

"Yveltal is well, by the way," she added. "She took some part in training another outworlder. A friend of mine is an acolyte of his world's yveltal, and met with her socially on at least one occasion, and she blessed him durin' the final conflict as you did me. Seems like Cibus' Legendary throng are fair fond of mortals."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"That isn't a surprise," Zeraora remarked, laughing. "After all, we were all mortal once, aside from Pop himself. And we've been saved by mortals... five times, now? In recent memory, at least. I guess that's also why we don't fear mortality in the way a true god might. Though, the only example I have of that is Pop... and he was ready to lay down his life to save us. Had it not been for your efforts, I don't think he would be around right now, you know."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa nodded in agreement. "Fella's alright with me," she said, definitively. "Doubt the Arceus of my world is as pleasant, if they're still around. Ha, as if I'd be so lucky."

She coughed, awkwardly. "Don't mean t'sound corny, but... We were only doin' our jobs. I'm just glad he's stickin' around."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zeraora let out a sharp breath through her nose. "Of course you were," she said with a smile.

They were close to the summit, now, with the clear skies above them and the clouds below them. Zeraora looked a little winded, probably too used to the plains and the lowlands.

"...Thank you for taking me on this, Brisa. I may have been able to handle the Blacklight, but... going out to the world at large as a citizen, in any way, is a different kind of battle."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa allowed herself to be a little smug, having been a mountain-climber since she was a kitten and kept up the habit while on Cibus, if at times only by means of Guild HQ staircases. But she didn't let on. It would be ungracious.

"You're more'n welcome. It meant a lot t'me that you fought me an' gave me yer approval before the final fight, an' yer blessin' when the time came. And though you did blast her the fuck apart first, I appreciate yer time fer Luz. I wanted to do somethin' in return. Somethin' personal."

Brisa turned to meet Zeraora's eye. "I lived alone on my world, by voluntary necessity, fer many years. It took me months to feel at ease on Cibus, so often in strange and numerous company. New kinds of battles, fer which we don't have plans and predictions... We can meet 'em blindly, or with help from a friend. I got lucky with mine. Figured I'd pass along the favour."

And after Brisa was gone, perhaps the two other zeraora she left behind would . . . keep in touch.

They were nearly at the peak. Brisa grinned in anticipation.

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
Zeraora nodded at that, looking at Brisa for a little longer than before, but then spotted the summit and what was beyond. "...And here we are," Zeraora said with a long breath. "...Haven't seen something like this in quite a while, Brisa."

The clouds rolled over smaller mountaintops like streams around rocks and rivers.

"...I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time with her," Zeraora said. "The one derived from you. There's something about the heart you gave her... I think we're gonna be reminded of you, when we interact."

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa soaked in the view from the top of the world. She could touch the heavens. She could see the curvature of the planet. She could pass out, if she wasn't careful.

"This is one of a dozen spots I shortlisted," she admitted. "But y'said y'wanted to see the world, and with only time fer one trip, I figured... Why not show you the whole damn thing?"

She chuckled.

"Luz and I are plenty alike, honestly. She's who I thought I'd grow up t'be, when I was a kid. I like who I became instead – not that I'm all that different, when y'get down to it – but she's a good un. Yeah."

Maybe Zeraora would be good for Luz to know. Another 'project', like Brisa had been. Another grounding influence.

"I'm glad just thinkin' about it."

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I think I feel the same," Zeraora said.

And for a bit, that's all they said to each other, taking in the view, watching the clouds roll by. It was noon when they'd arrived, and the air was cool despite it being the start of summer. Eventually, perhaps with a bit of boldness, she leaned against Brisa as a spark of electricity coursed between their paws, sisters to be worlds apart.

<><><>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom