• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
no one was scumreading me anyway

Well, I had during day 1. In fact, I had considered using the hammer on you on night one had Chibi and the others not convinced me to just hold off! ...And that would've been a really bad move to begin with because based on the mafia rules, I would've been directed toward Chibi, and then if a vigilante and mafia attack the same person, the vigil dies.

Bullet dodged!

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
If Sike is telling the truth, they were roleblocked the night they tried to protect Chibi, because Espeon didn't see them there. This is the case whether DW is telling the truth or not, and therefore whether Espeon was actually looking at Chibi, or at you. But if DW is lying, then there was no switch, Espeon was looking at Chibi, and she saw DW there because DW was killing Chibi. Therefore the mafia roleblocker is evidently someone other than DW.
hmmm, okay, yeah, that tracks. i think i just got tripped up on the comment about how it would be unbalanced for the mafia to have both a strongman and a swapper... wouldn’t the same be true of a strongman and a blocker? i suppose all three would DEFINITELY be busted, and we know there’s a blocker, but we don’t necessarily know there’s a strongman... i think blocker/strongman/don makes the most sense? i think?

thinking on this some more, if dw and persephone are w/w, persephone probably was not the killing role (i assume there’s at least one wolf who has no power except to functionally carry out the nightkill, ie the don). that’s probably dw, meaning persephone was probably strongman or roleblocker. nice! i guess if we notice another block, we can be (decently?) sure the mafia does not have a strongman?

Well, I had during day 1. In fact, I had considered using the hammer on you on night one had Chibi and the others not convinced me to just hold off! ...And that would've been a really bad move to begin with because based on the mafia rules, I would've been directed toward Chibi, and then if a vigilante and mafia attack the same person, the vigil dies.

Bullet dodged!
right. i was getting a bit of heat early on, i’ll admit that! but by d2 i don’t think i was in a place where i needed to orchestrate a kill on my teammate or else everyone would surely uncover my sins... honestly i don’t think i could even pull off such a thing if i wanted to.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
thinking on this some more, if dw and persephone are w/w, persephone probably was not the killing role
oh, i say this because of dw’s self-vote. but he did end up voting for her in the end iirc, so ehh...

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Okay, so, it seems to be many’s opinion that my play’s been disruptive and generally anti-town, which isn’t good whether town or mafia, so I’ll just watch and learn for now. Imagine Desper’s taking a nap because he stayed up all night protecting/he’s keeping up the appearance that he did as much. If y’all vote me, I can’t blame you.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
This is my fifth game and I've never been Mafia.
okay, I know what I just said, but DW linked this game where they were a Serial Killer/Super Boy Prime. I don't know enough about roles to call this a lie. Could someone fill me in? I don't know the advantage of someone lying about never being Mafia, though, besides maybe hoping we subscribe to gambler's fallacy?

Also, I think I've figured out the main confusion with qva here. I'm gonna try and clear it up as much as I can, because rereading made me realize I was less coherent than Desper. First of all, I do not currently suspect qva. I should've made that clear from the start that in no way am I trying to say that there's enough evidence to even consider lynching her.

The scenario, in my head, was this: DW rused the switch and made qva look innocent. Espeon's info revealed the ambiguity about the switch. This means that, had we lynched Dawning last night, qva would have been implicated in that ruse. Assuming three members (and, of course, that Dawning flipped Mafia), that would leave one dead, and one under reasonable suspicion.

They were already set to lose one member in this scenario. Either way, it is one member dead, two alive, one under reasonable suspicion. Therefore, it makes sense to me that they could have decided to push the wagon against Persephone. It would lead to today where one member is dead, one member is under suspicion, and the other is remarkably clean. The alternative is one member (Dawning) is dead, and at least one (qva) is under reasonable suspicion.

Either kill put them in a tight spot, and Dawning even last minute switched to lynch Persephone instead of herself. So, if Dawning flips mafia, that means that a mafia decided it would be better to kill Persephone than Dawning.

This all falls apart if Dawning flips town, though, and even wouldn't really be enough on its own to vote qva. It also assumes the mafia have the ability to communicate outside the thread, which I don't know if they can. yes I'm subtly asserting I'm town, shut your fuck I shouldn't even have mentioned it until Dawning flipped. Honestly, I just saw everyone calling me all over the place, illogical, obviously anti-town, incompetent, and I felt like I needed to set at least this much straight. When I brought this up and no one could even wrap their minds around what I was possibly getting at, I got defensive, I fell into argument mode, and I just had to be right.

I wasted a lot of today zoning in on this for no good reason, so let's just table this for later. I wanted to get this out there so it at least looks less like an idiot's complete and utter incompetence. For the sake of moving forward, maybe we could look at how characters interacted with Persephone. See if anything's there.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Masterlist of Persephone’s Posts

Masterlist of Responses to Persephone

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Okay dammit pulled the trigger wayyyy to early. I’ve been told it happens to all the guys but dammit. I’ll just say my thoughts so far as my rage dies down. First, she gunned for Sike instead of Dawning, and said if Sike was innocent we should look into Espy. I don’t know if roleblocking was brought up at that point, but that she just completely ignored Dawning is suspect.

Nothing stood out to me about the responses

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Persephone Continued

This one she’s talking about who to vote. Was still while no one suspected her https://forums.thousandroads.net/in...ersary-fanfic-mafia-game-thread.338/post-3846

Responses Continued

It looks like Dragonfree was the first to vote Persephone? https://forums.thousandroads.net/in...ersary-fanfic-mafia-game-thread.338/post-3835

Namo was confused at the bandwagon https://forums.thousandroads.net/in...ersary-fanfic-mafia-game-thread.338/post-3858

I think this is everything? “Why didn’t you use multiquote? It would’ve been so much easier,” look, I didn’t realize that until I was far too many bad decisions in to fix it

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Last thing that stuck out to me and then I’m going to bed if I don’t ban me:

Pers went to vote for Non-Analogue, Windskull, and Starlight, but ultimately voted Dawning for self preservation. We know Starlight was innocent, and personally the other two read clean to me, so their in my yeah prolly chill pile for now.

If Dawning flips mafia, they were the deciding vote for Persephone, so they probably had a more powerful role.

Also, like I thought, Persephone was swamped and struggling to keep up. Perhaps that could explain Dawning switching to her if Dawning is mafia. Otherwise, simple self preservation. Not much to glean from that.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Dave peered at Tefiren. "...Huh."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, thinking. "Okay. You're right; with Espurr's result, assuming she's not lying, we've proven either Ntairow's lying or there's a roleblocker, and in either case the supposed switch isn't needed to explain anything and there's nothing corroborating it. Occam's razor, when Espurr sees nobody but Finnar visiting the person who died, says that Finnar just killed them. You say the reason she made the claim was just to hide the existence of the roleblocker. But that seems a pretty big risk to take just to hide something like that - not like we couldn't figure it was a possibility regardless, and there could've been a real bus driver who'd have spoken up. Unless..."

He paused. "Okay. Suppose the mafia have an inforole of their own. And it's not a rolecop; it's an oracle. And they used the oracle to scout for plausible fake claims in the night. Night zero, we don't know. Then night one, they ask, 'Is there a bus driver?' They get a no. Bingo, free fake claim that they know won't be counterclaimed. So as soon as it starts to become clear that their meddling was noticed, Finnar jumps to explain it with a swap on someone unlikely to have been healed, by claiming she's the bus driver they know doesn't really exist. Nobody would've had any reason to disbelieve it, if not for Espurr, and the spontaneity and lack of counterclaim gave it credibility. Would've been a pretty solid plan, provided they could worm their way out of any contradictory night results. I can see it. And didn't Finnar say they didn't get to make a switch on night zero? Did anyone else get told they couldn't act on night zero?"

He stroked his chin for a moment. "All that said, it's pretty circumstantial. Going to have to think on it a bit more. I don't think it's impossible Finnar'd self-vote if she's innocent. If you really believe people are getting distracted arguing about you and it'd be better for everyone if they could just know for sure that you'd been on their side and be able to use that knowledge, yeah, you might just want to get it over with."

hmmm, okay, yeah, that tracks. i think i just got tripped up on the comment about how it would be unbalanced for the mafia to have both a strongman and a swapper... wouldn’t the same be true of a strongman and a blocker? i suppose all three would DEFINITELY be busted, and we know there’s a blocker, but we don’t necessarily know there’s a strongman... i think blocker/strongman/don makes the most sense? i think?
[["The difference between a mafia swapper and blocker is that the blocker has to hit the right person to block, which the mafia don't know, in principle. All the swapper has to do is swap the person the mafia actually wants to target, which they know, with somebody else who's unlikely to be healed. Because they know, it's pretty foolproof. Blocker isn't."]]

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] hold the convenient axsis communication device
[WB] youre telling me the mafia might have a way to scout for roles in use
[WB] well shit
[WB] couldnt that throw just about any roleclaim into doubt
[WB] like itd be real easy to claim vigilante in that case
[WB] or bus driver
[WB] or backup
[WB] to pick three examples at complete random
[WB] i mean if we got solid proof on someone sure
[WB] but i didnt even know that was an option
[WB] shit

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
I literally just switched the last two people on the list, so SparklingEspeon and Chibi.

qva was the only person I felt pretty sure was town and I didn't think I was getting shot.
Okay, no, I misremembered. Who was it who said they didn’t get to make an action N0. I remember being a bit weirded out by it.

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
Oh god, I knew I should have gathered myself together and made a post last night. Monster post now.

I basically agree with qva's hunches on who's town and who's not, though I have some quibbles. Biggest is that her analysis on myself is off-base:

equitia. not strong feelings here, but their posts feel pretty well put-together and thought-out to me, so i really want to townlean them just for that. however, they did vote for dw, and it seems to me like equitia is a somewhat experienced mafia player, which means they're well-equipped to pull the wool over our eyes if they are scum after all. overall i have mixed feelings, none of them particularly strong, so they go in the null pile.

1: I never voted for DawningWinds. I once briefly expressed suspicion of DawningWinds over Sike because I was originally confused about how swaps worked and thought Espeon implicated either DW or Sike. I voted for Namo and only Namo. (I also want to point out that I wasn't online for the great last-minute lynch bandwagon, so I didn't have a chance to change my vote.)

2: The last and only other Mafia game I've ever played was eight-ish years ago, when I was 13/14, and I was lynched the first day. My preparation for this game was reading through this forum's previous thread several times and a few hours of general research. I'm flattered that you thought otherwise, though, so thanks xD

My personal most likely to be scum as of right now, in vague order:

Namo -- I've already gone on about him so I won't restate. I'm even less sure of my convictions about him though. Partly because it's been pointed out that the known mafia started the train on Namo, and partly because I'm questioning my subconscious motives for zeroing in on him. Previously I said of Namo --

If we lynch and he turns out guilty, there's probably a roleblocker, which could explain Espeon not seeing Sike.

-- and Elvyorg pointed out that my "probably" wasn't necessarily true, rightfully so. During the night I started wondering if I was so strongly suspicious of Namo because of my gut feeling Sike was innocent. "Sike feels innocent, therefore she must have been roleblocked... wait, Namo offered that suggestion that would help a roleblocker, a roleblocker who could have targeted Sike!" when... there just could have been a roleblocker who blocker Sike, regardless of what Namo said. I still defend my decision to vote for him because he was my biggest scumread, and I still feel like my arguments against him have merit, but yeah. Either way I'm inclined to let him go tonight. If two people die tonight, we have evidence he's innocent. The only con to this is that he could be a a mafia with a good role he gets to use another day, but I don't think that's a good reason when we have other targets.

NonAnalogue -- Someone else stated it, but in the last game she was more active and strategized more; in this game she's said little of impact. Of course, this could be due to irl things I wouldn't want to force her to explain. She's also not the only one acting differently -- Dragonfree isn't saying as much -- and I don't think she's more likely to be guilty (or innocent. ah). However, right now NonAnalogue's the closest we have to an inactive barring Espeon.

DawningWind -- Okay, their actions baffle me. Elyvorg's suspicions of their motives makes sense and I agree with a lot of her reasoning, but... I'm not sure.

This bizarrely threatening post promising to "look into" everyone (well, nearly everyone; they apparently overlooked me) who'd been advocating no-lynch on day 1, as if only they could possibly be mafia. Everyone else, despite their differing opinions on the best approach, had generally agreed that there are valid reasons for either side of that debate and that being on one side or the other did not inherently mean someone was more or less likely to be scum. Except DW. Something about that lack of acknowledgement of the rest of the discussion we'd been having struck me as odd and made me begin to side-eye them.

The way they brazenly said they were trying to get Chibi killed with their swap N1, because they were apparently so sure Chibi was mafia after Chibi had advocated no-lynch the day before. No regret expressed over having been wrong about Chibi and way too hasty to judge based on almost nothing. No surprise expressed over having been right that the mafia shot at qva. Just a callous "yeah I wanted Chibi dead and now they are". This was such an incredibly anti-town attitude and demeanour that if it wasn't for the fact that circumstances made their claim look completely legit at the time, I would have been all over them with suspicion for it. Tefiren sure as hell wanted to be.

I agree that these moves are suspicious and ill-thought out, but I don't think they necessarily make DW mafia. Like, switching qva and Chibi I think was definitely a bad play. Sure, you think the mafia'll go for qva, but why aim them at Chibi? They said nothing to implicate themself and there were plenty of other, safer choices. However, because of the list we can also see that they're really, almost blindingly, pro-lynch. If they saw Chibi as a leader of that movement? Again, bad decisions, but I could see DW making them.

(Of course, swapping qva and Chibi could potentially be a good move if you're a mafia bus driver. Maybe makes a lot of sense if you're not innocent.)

The weirdest thing about them is that they insist we'll get so much info if they're lynched. If they're town, we'll... think it more likely that qva is innocent? Pretty much only Tanuki thinks she's scummy right now. The only other possibility I can think of why they're doing this if they're innocent is because they're just tired of playing. But, they can just go inactive rather than stay in, regularly advocating for their own lynch. This is bizarre and suspicious.

More minor:

If they're mafia, then we have absolutely no reason to believe they're a bus driver at all. If they're mafia then the most likely scenario is that what Espeon saw was DW killing Chibi.

I mentioned at one point yesterday that having a mafia bus driver would be kind of overpowered in this setup, since they could use that to get their kills in through heals even without needing to use a strongman, so it'd kind of defeat the point of the strongman even being there.

I strong disagree that if they're mafia we have no reason to believe they're a bus driver. They made their claim before they knew Espeon saw them on Chibi. So to make that claim and for that claim to clear them would be extraordinarily lucky.

The assumption that there's a mafia strongman also confuses me. It was discussed, but I thought we all decided there was no evidence of that?

Tanuki -- ...Basically this entire game I've been flipping between "He's innocent! and "He's mafia!" and each time that's happened I was sure I finally figured him out. Then after his trying to target himself in the day I decided to just... not have opinions on him. Then he threw doubt on qva, Sike, and DW and just ahhhhhh

I don't know. His throwing suspicion on qva in particular is weird. And his excuse for why he tried to protect himself in the the middle of the day is utterly bizarre --

I wanted the mafia to think they'd have to use a power role against me to get me. I knew from the wording of Negrek's message that I couldn't use it on myself anyway, but I also knew that the mafia wasn't privy to such info. At least, until you told them, assuming you are a protector. I was hoping to throw them off since I made myself at least some kind of priority target by roleclaiming.

Even if Sike hadn't said about healers being unable to protect themselves, why would you assume that you saying this would make them use their hypothetical strongman against you? This is a very weak explanation. I still don't know whether to think he was actually the healer backup or not, but that doesn't explain why he tried to perform his action instead of just stating he would do it. I don't know.

It also assumes the mafia have the ability to communicate outside the thread, which I don't know if they can. yes I'm subtly asserting I'm town, shut your fuck

A point for Tanuki being town is this bit because yes the mafia definitely can.

In conclusion, I'm not ready to choose who to vote for yet, but it would be either Tanuki or DawningWinds. They both confuse me.

NonAnalogue

Losing her head
Pronouns
she/her
Code:
-- Conversation initiated with WitchesBlue [FORTUNATA, FIAMETTA] --

[WB] look its not my fault that people dont seem to wanna listen to text to speech
[WB] ive been sayin stuff all this time
[WB] love that yall are also seein how weird desper ado is actin now
[WB] only been sayin that for the past however long

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
if a vigilante and mafia attack the same person, the vigil dies.
Is that a thing? Huh, I'd never heard of it, and skimming the wiki page for vigilante, it doesn't seem to mention it. I feel like something like that would be unfair for you to not be explicitly warned about - is it mentioned in your role PM? Because if it's not, I imagine you probably shouldn't have to worry about it.
i think blocker/strongman/don makes the most sense? i think?

thinking on this some more, if dw and persephone are w/w, persephone probably was not the killing role (i assume there’s at least one wolf who has no power except to functionally carry out the nightkill, ie the don). that’s probably dw, meaning persephone was probably strongman or roleblocker. nice! i guess if we notice another block, we can be (decently?) sure the mafia does not have a strongman?
That's how I'd been imagining the mafia setup too, yeah, assuming there's three of them. Regardless, if DawningWinds is mafia, and if we're assuming the strongman kill wasn't used on Chibi (which I think we all are), DawningWinds is definitely the don. Again, if they're not a bus driver, Espeon saw them killing Chibi.

oh, i say this because of dw’s self-vote. but he did end up voting for her in the end iirc, so ehh...
If Dawning flips mafia, they were the deciding vote for Persephone, so they probably had a more powerful role.

...I admit it didn't occur to me during all my reasoning as to why DawningWinds and Persephone would vote for each other that another factor would be not just who is or has become the most suspicious to us, but also simply which of them has the most useful power. And that would be Persephone, if DawningWinds is just the don, wouldn't it. (Assuming the regular don kill power just gets passed on when the don dies, which it obviously should. Unless that regular kill power overwrites the mafia goon's existing special power, to not suddenly give them two powers, in which case it wouldn't matter.)

[["and there could've been a real bus driver who'd have spoken up. Unless..."

He paused. "Okay. Suppose the mafia have an inforole of their own. And it's not a rolecop; it's an oracle. And they used the oracle to scout for plausible fake claims in the night. Night zero, we don't know. Then night one, they ask, 'Is there a bus driver?' They get a no. Bingo, free fake claim that they know won't be counterclaimed."]]
This is possible, but it's also possible they didn't even need an oracle to be confident enough about that fakeclaim. There were two bus drivers in last year's game (one was the first to die and therefore never got to claim), so even if they were counterclaimed, it'd be plausible. (The only thing that wouldn't make it plausible is if there were really two bus drivers again in this year's game, because three bus drivers is definitely unreasonable, but the chances of there actually being two again were probably low enough for them to be willing to take that risk.)

Okay, no, I misremembered. Who was it who said they didn’t get to make an action N0. I remember being a bit weirded out by it.
It was Espeon. I remember thinking at the time that she was probably just confused and didn't think she could act on N0, or forgot to send one in, but no, based on her wording, it doesn't quite seem that way, and that is a little odd. @SparklingEspeon , if you see this whenever you come in here to give us last night's info, could you also clarify this? Did you just not get around to choosing an action on Night 0, or were you literally not allowed to?

I agree that these moves are suspicious and ill-thought out, but I don't think they necessarily make DW mafia. Like, switching qva and Chibi I think was definitely a bad play. Sure, you think the mafia'll go for qva, but why aim them at Chibi? They said nothing to implicate themself and there were plenty of other, safer choices. However, because of the list we can also see that they're really, almost blindingly, pro-lynch. If they saw Chibi as a leader of that movement? Again, bad decisions, but I could see DW making them.
My reasoning for finding that suspicious was not because they made that bad decision to try and get Chibi killed in itself - it did make sense for them given their attitude on Day 1 - but more just the callous way they seemed to not care or regret that it was a mistake and Chibi didn't actually deserve to be killed. The things I mention with that list of links are less explicitly suspicious actions and more just little things about their attitude and behaviour here and there that were making me scumread them more strongly than anyone else.

I strong disagree that if they're mafia we have no reason to believe they're a bus driver. They made their claim before they knew Espeon saw them on Chibi. So to make that claim and for that claim to clear them would be extraordinarily lucky.

They would have known the claim would clear them anyway, regardless of Espeon's info, because the fact that Sike apparently healed Chibi (given we had no idea Sike was roleblocked) meant that being swapped was apparently the only way Chibi could have died. Therefore we would have no choice but to believe that DW really did that swap.

Espeon's info of seeing DW there didn't clear their claim - rather, the fact that Espeon didn't see Sike there made it suddenly possible that DW was lying after all.

The assumption that there's a mafia strongman also confuses me. It was discussed, but I thought we all decided there was no evidence of that?

My reasoning for implicitly assuming there's a strongman (and what I assume is most others' reasoning about it, too) is mostly because it was the only basically-just-for-mafia power role on Negrek's list. If Negrek had put other special killing roles on there, like ninja, then we'd have had more room to speculate that it's not necessarily all of them but probably just one or the other because Negrek was leaving the options open. But as it is, with strongman as the only special mafia-only role mentioned, I feel that Negrek at least wanted us to think there's a strongman here. Doing that and then not actually putting a strongman in the game seems a bit mean. Maybe that's what happened anyway, I dunno, but it seems fairly unlikely to me.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
1: I never voted for DawningWinds. I once briefly expressed suspicion of DawningWinds over Sike because I was originally confused about how swaps worked and thought Espeon implicated either DW or Sike. I voted for Namo and only Namo. (I also want to point out that I wasn't online for the great last-minute lynch bandwagon, so I didn't have a chance to change my vote.)
oof, sorry, you’re right. i forgot that some people voted for neither persephone nor dw.

Top Bottom