• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

SparklingEspeon

Back on Her Bullshit
Staff
a Terrace of Indeterminate Location in Snowbelle
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. fennekin
  3. zoroark
[[Makes sense, thanks!]]

A bristle ran through Zoroark-as-Braixen's fur at the mention of suspicion. So much for keeping a low profile. He'd just gotten here; like hell he was going to let some 'mon he didn't even know direct the spotlight to him just by connection. He found himself baring his fangs at the luxio in frustration and anger. Maybe it made him look worse; he didn't care. As long as it got the 'don't you dare screw me over' message across, it worked.

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
"For what it's worth, we only have so many villains left amo-- within our ranks."
[[ I see what you did there. ]]

"Hard town" is "if they were in danger of being lynched, I'd actively defend them". (Not that that's even a likely possibility for most of these, but. I discovered that this was my metric after it seemed briefly possible that a Miyako bandwagon might start yesterday and I realised I would actually go out of my way to defend her if that happened. I was going to put her on soft town before then.)

"Medium town" is "if they were in danger of being lynched, I'd at least want to know why and might argue against it".

"Soft town" is "if they were in danger of being lynched, I wouldn't vote for them myself but probably wouldn't argue that hard".

"Non-inactive null" (though I don't I currently have such a pile) is "wouldn't mind voting for them if there were no better options".

"Cautious" is "would definitely consider voting for them".

"Suspicious" is "actively want to vote for them".
]]
[[ Well, I do appreciate that knowledge. It's nice in this chaos to know that someone's got my back; I'm not quite sure how to thank you in-character, so, thank you. ]]

"Listen! Listen! When we got rid of the blue-black dog last night, it was the best thing that could have possibly happened! Not only did we get rid of the one who was probably the Arsonist--" (just by luck, which wasn't very exciting, but still... still a relief) "--but, it was still also someone who wasn't Mafia. Any Mafia who voted to get rid of him must have thought they were tricking us into getting rid of an innocent! They wouldn't have known it'd help us just as much as it'd help them!"

He slunk over to the tall fiery fox's magic board, still there even though it's owner was gone, which had been finished with everything that had happened up until the end of the last day. "So, look, look! If you look at what happened yesterday with the voting, it's obvious who are the Mafia that were trying to trick us!"

Miyako listened to the morning's reveals numbly. She'd been so preoccupied by her own frustrations and then by Lusamine's death to really register everything else going on around her to this point. But Nephthys shoved her own annoyance at her host's behavior into her head, and there was no way to ignore that. Stop wallowing like a frightened child, it's boring and not at all productive, and this creature seems willing to accept you as an ally. We have a game to win here. Help him. Miyako crossed her arms and pouted. Nephthys was right. She was upset, but mostly at herself for getting herself into this drama to begin with.

So, because they accidentally struck the (potential??) arsonist last night, completely at random, Tefiren felt like he'd been able to be able to figure out who the remaining mafia members are. It made sense; Miyako had been thinking something similar about Lusamine, Altair, and Wes; and even Dave, the only other person here that Miyako felt reasonably comfortable around (at least, in this environment - she was sure that if she'd ever met him in a dark alley, she'd scream bloody murder and run the other way) seemed to think the archopy was on to something.

She looked up at him with a smile. "You see, this is why I and a few others were worried for you after you survived that first attack. Even without tricks, you're smart." Even if he was pretty cocky... he definitely seemed to have the brains to back up his mouth.

With that said, though... how could the arsonist still have killed Lusamine if he were already dead? (At least, this time it sure looked like it was flavored that way, unlike yesterday's scuffle marks...) Was there another third-party hiding in plain sight? She'd have never considered that, but then again, it wouldn't have occurred to her that there was a third party to begin with, had the nickit not revealed her skill so early.

As it was, the arsonist had plenty of time to target the nickit now, especially after yesterday's confusion... so how was it that she wasn't among the dead today? Was her role simply immune to it after all? Why else would the arsonist not target the one player he knew could stop him?

(Completely unrelated to my shade-throwing, on the topic of voting: Chappie and Miyako's votes got counted as Abstain votes, whereas based on their posts, it seems like they may have meant to just not vote at all. They're both new to the game, so as a heads-up: there's a meaningful difference from an "Abstain" vote, which is that you are actively voting to abstain from lynching anyone today, and a "no vote", which is that you don't have an opinion on what to do and you're happy to let everyone else decide. If what you want is the latter, you don't need to post any bolded message at all, because everyone's default state is no vote.)]]

[[Did want to clarify this one, too; I didn't consider that there was a difference. However, I absolutely did intend to "vote nobody" rather than "let others decide for me". I've been trying to make my own decisions this entire game, based on others' posts obviously, but no one is going to decide what I do for me unless I ask for the assistance. If I agree with the reasoning, I will vote accordingly, but it will be my own choice. That said, had I realized the difference, I don't think that would have influenced my choice this time. I feel like I probably would have still bolded my not-voting choice, if only to stress that it was for a reason and not just me forgetting to do so. I felt like it needed to be actively stated that I was choosing not to vote for anyone. It was obvious by that point that there was a lot of votes in, and that my vote would not have influenced the result anyway unless I jumped on the Lance bandwagon - which, for obvious reasons, would never have been the right play anyway.

Also, this ties in with why I have suspicions of Wes, in addition to all of Tefiren's summary; see my prior post for those, but essentially, it's the same thing. A few people, Wes included, considered changing their votes, but didn't do so. The difference is that, in Wes's case given the suspicion on him gained by his choice, I felt like even changing theirs to a no-vote would have looked better after admitting to being willing to select someone else afterwards, even if it ultimately didn't change the result. It at least could have taken some of the heat off Wes specifically. ]]

[[wtf wtf wtf wtf. The Arsonist may still be alive?!? what -- *screaming* -- also hi I'm a Healer Mewtwo is a big softy on the inside bruhhhhhhh]]

I've been told to chose my ability. I have until the end of the coming night to do so or else I will be VT for the rest of the game, which I reaaally do not want.

So. Asking the thread.
Which ability would be better?

[[ Given that I don't understand how the arsonist could have still killed someone last night despite being lynched the previous day... the logical assumption is that there is either:
1. another arsonist around, or
2.Lance wasn't actually the arsonist...

...which leads me, personally, to believe the firefighter role is more valuable at this point in time.

Or am I missing something here? I was fully expecting the psychic marks thing to matter, but now, to me, it looked like Lusamine's death flavoring was the specific indicator of the arsonist that everyone else had been expecting. But then, if they were lynched prior to the night, how did they still get a kill here? Otherwise, how else was Lusamine brought down? ]]

Actually, can’t deaths still happen after the Arsonist dies? Or am I understanding that incorrectly? Either way, it seems we might have a vigilante on our hands.]]

Dead people can't use night actions. Arsonist lighting people on fire is a night action. Therefore, Arsonist-caused deaths cannot happen when the Arsonist is dead.

[[ Seems like DW got to this before me, no surprise tbh. I agree, though. I don't understand how that would happen. Logically, if actions are taken overnight, and Lance was lynched the day prior... he's dead and technically can no longer trigger his ability. I know there's roles that allow other players to talk with the dead, but... it would be way too overpowered for an arsonist to still be able to kill after they died, wouldn't it? Again, I'm also no expert, but I don't understand how this logically could make sense. Also considering what I mentioned above... tonight's death of Lusamine appears to still be arsonist-flavored, and I don't know how that's possible unless there was more than one, or Lance was... something else third party.

That aside, the over-healing confirmation does make me less concerned about Wes. (Meaning, that over-healing is possible in this game; far as I know, we have no actual proof other than both players' words that that's what happened.)

The vigilante theory is far more likely, but I have absolutely no idea what to make of that right now... if Wes/Mewtwo are already claiming they both healed Bench, where does the Vigil fit into this? Jesse's death? I... admit I don't see how this makes sense. ]]

[[Aaaand this is why I’m so frustrated, because I made one mistake. One. And yeah, I know mistakes in mafia are what get you lynched anyways, but I feel like I’m being absolutely dogpiled on for that mistake while others are quick defend the other newbies. And yes, apparently my play style does suck because literally nothing I do will convince you or anyone else that I’m innocent, so I’m just not even going to try to defend myself at this point. You’re determined to lynch me no matter what, anyways.

Sorry. I’m frustrated. I was of the impression that I’d be allowed to make a few mistakes due to being new but now it just kind feels like everyone is capitalizing on that mistake out of convenience and I’m. Really not enjoying it. I’m gonna step away from this game for a while and probably won’t be posting much. Which probably just makes me look even more sus, but whatever. I’m tired. I was not prepared for the amount of time and reading this game would require, I guess. My bad.]]

[[ Just would like to say that I made one mistake (targeting Mewtwo) on night 1 and have been dealing with that for the last week; it's not been quick to get anyone to defend me, and at that, it's still only elyvorg actively on my side at this point. That's not exactly being quick to defend me, hence why I've been frustrated for the last week. All the newbies are kinda dealing with this to some extent; it's just taken longer for it to reach anyone but me since I was on it from the get-go.

That said, I am really sorry you feel this way. I'm kind of to blame for pushing you and Tetra to join to begin with, so I feel guilty for that, too. I hope you don't hold any of this against me... the fact that you haven't really answered me on discord makes me worry, though, so really, I am sorry if I have at all contributed to how your feeling... ]]

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
The vigilante theory is far more likely, but I have absolutely no idea what to make of that right now... if Wes/Mewtwo are already claiming they both healed Bench, where does the Vigil fit into this? Jesse's death? I... admit I don't see how this makes sense.

[[If there is a Vigilante, they (most likely) targeted Lusamine. Both Wes and Mewtwo claimed to be Doctor who targeted Arctozolt, assuming that they're telling the truth (and I have little reason to doubt it), that means that Arctozolt died via overdose, meaning that Jesse was the Mafia's target.

If there isn't a Vigilante, or they just decided not to act N2, then that means that the Arsonist is still hanging about and Lance was another Third-Party.]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Three. Three dead. One guilty. Two innocent. So much blood on everyones hands. On his hands.

Red everywhere oh god why was there so much blood why couldn't he stop it-

A low growl escaped his throat. They'd started with 19. Now there were only 13 left. Four innocents gone, one mafia, and... whatever the fuck that lucario was. This was getting too close for his liking. Fine. If cosmic ultradimensional beings wanted to screw with him, he wasn't going down without a fight.

[[And the rest of this is gonna be in ooc because I'm tired. Please note that this was paritially typed up before some recent stress events for other players so I'm going to go ahead and finish and post this and then re-evaulate tomorrow if I have time before work.

First order of business...
I've been told to chose my ability. I have until the end of the coming night to do so or else I will be VT for the rest of the game, which I reaaally do not want.

So. Asking the thread.
Which ability would be better?
I think it reaaally depends on if the third kill tonight was arsonist or vig. Because if it *was* the arsonist, then definitely firefighter. On the other hand, if you pick firefighter and it was a vig (assuming Navar was the arsonist), you might as well be vanilla town. That said... I don't know if it would be a good idea for the vig to reveal themselves? Seems like it would paint a target on them, unless they were one-shot. Would appreciate some feedback on whether that's a good idea or not because I genuinely don't know.

A few updated reads, full list to come tomorrow hopefully:

Dave: originally soft town, now medium-hard town
The fact that Bench flipped innocent makes me follow the logic train back to the fact that Chibi almost certainly was the cop (based on Bench's testimony and an earlier post that suggest they checked Dave), and almost certainly checked dave and got a green check. If there was something suspicious, I feel like they would have at least hinted as much.

Altair: still soft town, but shakier.
I dunno. I can at least see the logic behind what they're saying. I'll discuss more on him shortly because it ties into my next two.

Wes: still null, but now a little less suspicious
We've had two town doctors in the past, but the fact that overhealing in this game could point to a mafia doctor. Heck, there could be three doctors for all I know. Two town and one mafia, but that seems like it could be a little bit unbalanced. While I'm still suspicous of him, and I'm more suspicious of him than mewtwo, I'm also willing to at least give some benefit of the doubt that he's a misguided townie. Would like to discuss him more if I have time.

Chappie: was soft town, now null
Though I'm still not all that suspicious of her, Elyvorg's theory did get me thinking enough to make me think she might not be town. I'm not totally sold on that, but I wouldn't be against lynching her.

Between Altair, Wes, and Chappie, I think there's probably at least one mafia, if not more. Right now I'm leaning towards Wes or Chappie more than Altair. But if we lynch one of them, depending on how they flip I'll reevaulate my stance on Altair.

Seren: Still null, but slightly less suspicious
Something I noticed in Seren's posts is that a lot of their thought process reminds me of my thought process in my first game of mafia. Which makes sense, since they're a new player. Mind you, I was scum in the first game, but that could just be what's causing my alarm bells to go off. Which is why I'm backing off slightly on my suspicions. May revisit later.

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
[[Also just as a brief note, apologize if any of my gameplay has come across as aggressive or caused undue stress. It's important to note that these games tend to have some stress to them, but it's important that everyone is having fun!]]

Seren

Lurking
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Partners
  1. sableye
I think it reaaally depends on if the third kill tonight was arsonist or vig. Because if it *was* the arsonist, then definitely firefighter. On the other hand, if you pick firefighter and it was a vig (assuming Navar was the arsonist), you might as well be vanilla town. That said... I don't know if it would be a good idea for the vig to reveal themselves? Seems like it would paint a target on them, unless they were one-shot. Would appreciate some feedback on whether that's a good idea or not because I genuinely don't know.

[[ Just to clarify, for you any anyone else; DW's choices are NOT "Firefighter or Vanilla Townie". They're "Firefighter or Rolestopper, or if nothing is chosen, Vanilla Townie". As per their roleclaim post on page 6:

Hi I'm claiming. I get to pick one of two roles if live to N4 or D4 I can't remember exactly will check in a moment. One of these roles is firefighter (the other is rolestopper- stops all actions targetting a player of my choice) and the flavor for the firefighter role is I remove psychic marks. This means there's an Arsonist who places psychic marks- which means the Arsonist would most likely be a character with psychic capability. Arsonist is usually an anti town third party. Arsonist can also kill a bunch of people at once with almost no warning so we should probay get on that.

]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Just to clarify, for you any anyone else; DW's choices are NOT "Firefighter or Vanilla Townie". They're "Firefighter or Rolestopper, or if nothing is chosen, Vanilla Townie". As per their roleclaim post on page 6:
[[Ah yeah let me clarify what I meant real quick:

If dw picks firefighter and the arson is already gone, I believe there's no special use for the role and they're basically VT?

On the other hand they can take rolestopper, which is probably the safer selection, but if the Arson is still at large there isn't much we can do to stop them short of flushing them out]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[I think it’s highly unlikely Lusamine was killed by the arsonist. Again, this would require the arsonist to have chosen not to douse the person who can become firefighter, and to choose to inefficiently ignite early after it’s been widely discussed in the thread that this would be suboptimal play for them, and to happen to have either not doused anyone or doused one of the people who died for other reasons as their other douse. I don’t think scorch marks as flavor are nearly enough reason to postulate this over the very simple “We have a vigilante, who successfully targeted one of the people who were very suspicious yesterday” - especially since the flavor implied by DW’s role PM is something psychic and not actually even fire.

I would also like to say that all annoyance etc. expressed by Dave is in character. I think all the newbies have been playing well for their first game and that nobody has made horrible unclearable mistakes; it seems to me all the newbies feel like they’re being subjected to scrutiny that the others aren’t, but people picking out random little things you’ve done and finding them suspicious is just what happens in mafia and doesn’t mean you’re terrible or being picked on in some impossible-to-shake way. I would also like to reassure you that you aren’t expected to post massive textwalls. Some people are textwallers, most people aren’t, and that’s fine.

If I’m honest today I’m more inclined to think Wes is just town, so like, if you’re actually mafia, you’re actually doing a very good job of appearing sincere.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Oh, and the Lusamine arsonist kill theory also requires the arsonist to ignore the fact it appeared like we’d killed the arsonist yesterday, which would have been the perfect cover for them to keep dousing uninterrupted while DW picks rolestopper instead of firefighter, and instead announce they’re still around. Literally why.]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
this would require the arsonist to have chosen not to douse the person who can become firefighter, and to choose to inefficiently ignite early after it’s been widely discussed in the thread that this would be suboptimal play for them

"...Hm. It's... very likely that, one way or the other, we could learn of the continued existence of the Arsonist tonight... and no earlier." He looked to the others. "Their deadline is up. I do not think the Arsonist was expecting three kills--let alone two innocents--tonight. That means that they might try to ignite tonight to get what they can... unless the Arsonist thinks that the first thing Nefari will do is cleanse a mark on themselves. Perhaps, if Firefighter is taken, that is what should be done. ...Then, on the following night... perhaps if our Watcher is still alive, they can keep an eye on Nefari and see if someone ever tries to Mark the following night."

Alexander chuckled darkly.

"Or is simply the act of me saying that... making the act too risky to take, Arsonist?" He felt like an idiot, as he could easily have been talking to open air at this point. "Perhaps you are still being watched. I do wonder..."

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
[[Oh, and the Lusamine arsonist kill theory also requires the arsonist to ignore the fact it appeared like we’d killed the arsonist yesterday, which would have been the perfect cover for them to keep dousing uninterrupted while DW picks rolestopper instead of firefighter, and instead announce they’re still around. Literally why.]]

[[I'm going to second this and say that you should pick Rolestopper as your ability tonight, DawningWinds, as it'll have a lot more utility moving forwards as the prospect of a second Third-Party seems unlikely to me. Additionally, a Vigilante kill on Lusamine makes so much more sense than an Arsonist one as her play during the last couple hours of the day essentially amounted to her holding up a sign saying "I am scum, please kill me." making her a prime target for the Vigilante.]]

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
[[ Sorry I'm late with this, but I figured it would be better for as many people as possible to know.

I am longer participating in this game. I can only hope that my character will be killed this upcoming N3. If not, then well... I might change my mind. But for the time-being...

This may be my final post. Had a good time for a while. Thanks. ]]

Fusion

Oh knee on
Pronouns
Him/His
Partners
  1. zoroark
Fusion with a furrowed brow, despite his lack of eyebrows, suddenly came to an idea. If this Lance dude was some random third party, there's a chance that he had some wack-job ability. Not that Fusion would know what counts as wacky here, he himself was sitting on a floating, sentient, yellow cloud.

"Hmm... I can't exactly remember who voted for Lance, but is it possible he had a role where, if someone targeted him and he died, they'd also kick the bucket?" he asked, floating aimlessly on Nimbus. "Or maybe something that tied him to another character, and if either of them died, so did he. Either some kind of... partnership, or a 'if I go down, I'm taking someone else with me.'"

He was honestly pulling this out of thin air, mostly because whenever he tried to think up the roles this place would have... there was at least two pages and he did not have the time for that.

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[By the way, since the doctors have revealed anyway, it might be a good idea to hear who they targeted on the previous nights, to verify/illuminate things/uncover any other inconsistencies. @HelloYellow17 @Equitial ?]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[N0 Lexx/Chibi, N1 Tefiren/Elyvorg, N2 Actozolt/IFBench]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[ @Namohysip and anybody else who wants one, here is the promised OOC explanation of my mafia-Chappie theory! I completely sympathise that Tefiren's ridiculous bluster can be hard to parse, even though I don't regret having presented the theory in an RP post initially. He's so excited that he's figured it all out, you guys.

(Going to use the name Spark here for all my explanations because that's who it was at the time, though of course all of it now refers to Braixen in terms of what significance this has.)

Basically, the reason I am reasonably confident about this idea (I've been getting more so after Dragonfree agreed I might be onto something) is this:

Chappie being a mafia bus driver is the likeliest explanation for all of Night 1's mysteries.

(Or at least, I believe it is, right now. If anyone else can come up with another explanation or provide some more info that makes another theory seem about equally likely, I'm willing to listen.)

If Chappie is a mafia bus driver and swapped Lexx and Spark, then this was part of a mafia tactic to kill Lexx while bypassing possible protection on him. They shot at Spark, but they knew it'd hit Lexx in the end. Meanwhile, Rascal hid behind Spark, thinking she'd be an unlikely target and a safe bet to hide behind, and wound up getting swapped onto Lexx and killed too. In this scenario, everyone's choices make sense as the most logical choice for someone with that role to make.

The other possibilities for what happened, or at least all of them that I can think of, are as follows:
  • The mafia just genuinely intended for Spark to die and weren't going after Lexx at all. This doesn't seem like a very good mafia play!
    • This is also the case even if we try to imagine, assuming Chappie's innocent, that there was a mafia bus driver in the mix as well. Whatever swap a non-Chappie mafia bus driver hypothetically did, the mafia would still have ultimately been expecting their kill to land on Spark.
  • Chappie was roleblocked (probably by the mafia; an innocent who did this would have claimed by now) and her swap didn't happen, while the mafia just went straight for Lexx. However, this would require two unlikely factors at once:
    • The mafia roleblocker just happens to target Chappie, despite that she hadn't done much on day 1 or indicated any kind of role worth blocking. It'd have been a random shot in the dark.
    • AND, Rascal just happens to choose to hide behind Lexx, even though he's a juicy target for a potential mafiakill and therefore a bad person to hide behind.
  • The mafia used a special unmisdirectable kill power to be sure of hitting Lexx no matter what. Maybe?
    • But would they really use such a probably-limited power on Lexx when he'd only shown general townposting competence and very vaguely hinted at an inforole that wasn't even necessarily cop? There was still a reasonable chance he'd be unprotected.
    • I think this is probably the likeliest one out of these unlikely ideas - it's hard to be sure about this when we don't know exactly what sort of special kill powers the mafia has, if any - but I still personally think it's more of a stretch than just that Chappie is with the mafia.
So that's that. That's the case on Chappie, more or less.

Then, if Chappie is mafia (we definitely need to resolve Chappie's alignment before we start seriously discussing this), it might tell us something about Spark, too.

If Chappie is a mafia bus driver who used her power to help guarantee that Lexx died... why did she tell us about her swap? Wouldn't it have been easier to just stay quiet and make us think things were simple and the mafia went straight for Lexx? Wouldn't it actually put her at some risk of being found out, if someone realised how unlikely everything was and pieced together that her being in the mafia would be the simplest explanation?

Which makes me think - again, if Chappie is mafia - that maybe this was done deliberately, the swap and the claim, to try and make Spark look innocent, by making us think that the mafia wanted her dead for some reason. The only reason the mafia would want to make a random then-inactive person look innocent is if she's actually one of them. (And, if I'm right, it seems like it worked! When we were deciding between inactives to lynch yesterday, nobody considered Spark, because there was a possibility the mafia had tried to kill her, so we all saw her as more likely to be innocent than the others.)

Then there's Lusamine, Wes and Altair's possible involvement. The fact that Tefiren started that whole post off by talking about those three was less about any particular suspicion of mine on Chappie herself and more about something I noticed that was a little strange about them. (Tefiren only brought it up first because it was the thing that led me to think more about Chappie, but in terms of the actual logic, this is definitely not the most relevant point.)

Lusamine, Wes and Altair - the three people that I was, after yesterday's voting, suspecting the most - just happened to be the three who encouraged Chappie to softclaim. I just feel like that's a bit of a weird coincidence! Of any three people who happened to decide to coax Chappie into telling us what she knew, it was the exact three that I (at the time I thought about this) was most suspecting of being mafia?

It's not remotely concrete, of course. Maybe Wes and/or Altair were genuine and in the wrong place at the wrong time and have just wound up looking suspicious by association. Maybe there was no sinister mafia intent behind coaxing out Chappie's claim. Maybe Chappie is innocent, and even if some of the others (Lusamine, at least) were trying to coax out a softclaim for mafia purposes, this doesn't mean Chappie was in on it and it was all staged. But. It makes me hmmmm.

And that's about the whole thing, I think! Now to get back to paying attention to everything else that's been discussed since I went to bed.]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[Having had some time to think it over, and having tried to back off and view things with the premise that Wes is innocent (and also seeing the opinion of Dragonfree, who's mechanically confirmed and whose judgement I trust)... yeah, I'm not actually as sure about Wes any more. Everything he's done that's potential grounds for suspicion is something that only could potentially have had mafia intent, but that could also at least as easily have been genuine, so I shouldn't really be taking that as indication of anything. The only actual significant point against Wes is that Lusamine, confirmed mafioso, didn't consider switching her vote onto the Wes wagon yesterday after it was pointed out that jumping on an inactive wagon is kinda scummy. That's not even anything Wes himself did!

I realise I have almost certainly been tunnel-visioning a bit too much and falling into some confirmation bias here. I think I went too hard on the well this means you're definitely mafia doctor after Wes's doctor claim, because really it doesn't necessarily mean that at all. All it means is that, even though Wes and Mewtwo's doctor claims are pretty much confirmed because it explains the two innocent kills, there's still a chance Wes could be mafia anyway. There's also a chance that Mewtwo could be a mafia doctor, for that matter! Or they could both be innocent.

So, my apologies for tunneling on this harder than was warranted. This is a weakness of my play that I've been trying to avoid in this game, but apparently not quite enough.

(Did you know that I spent all of D3 last game extremely determinedly lynching someone who turned out to be innocent, because I was really certain I'd figured them out, even though I secretly had mechanical evidence that I was almost definitely wrong? I didn't mention that last part until the end of the game because I didn't want to look stupid, but man, that was really stupid of me. I am not actually as good at this game as I am potentially somehow managing to appear here.)

[[Aaaand this is why I’m so frustrated, because I made one mistake. One. And yeah, I know mistakes in mafia are what get you lynched anyways, but I feel like I’m being absolutely dogpiled on for that mistake while others are quick defend the other newbies. And yes, apparently my play style does suck because literally nothing I do will convince you or anyone else that I’m innocent, so I’m just not even going to try to defend myself at this point. You’re determined to lynch me no matter what, anyways.

Sorry. I’m frustrated. I was of the impression that I’d be allowed to make a few mistakes due to being new but now it just kind feels like everyone is capitalizing on that mistake out of convenience and I’m. Really not enjoying it. I’m gonna step away from this game for a while and probably won’t be posting much. Which probably just makes me look even more sus, but whatever. I’m tired. I was not prepared for the amount of time and reading this game would require, I guess. My bad.]]
Again, I really believe that it's just bad luck that your mistake happened to snowball into this, whereas other people's haven't. And, yeah, it has to really suck to be in that position. I'm sorry you're feeling this way, and I'm sorry if a lot of that has been down to my play. I don't want to make anyone feel bad!]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[This is also something I was thinking about last night! If it happens that there are two third-parties in this game and the arsonist is still alive, it'd be in their best interests to not ignite anything yet, have us let out guards down and have Nefari not become a firefighter because we think we're safe, and then burn us all to death in our sleep later down the line. That's pretty unlikely - I think the chances of Negrek putting two third-party roles in the game are fairly low - but also kind of terrifying.

I don't think there's any real chance that Lusamine's death was arson, but there's also a part of me thinking that maybe Nefari should become firefighter anyway, just in case? I dunno. It's up to DawningWinds, ultimately, so I'm just putting this out there as a possibility for them to think about.

As for Lusamine's death! Vigilante makes by far the most sense, but nobody has claimed as such even though I think more or less everyone has been in the thread by now.

So here's a theory I have: what if the vigilante was Jesse?

But, here's the other thing about Jesse - he had an inforole. He knew that his action on Dave on N0 failed, and the only way you can ever know that your action fails is if you expected to get something back from it - aka, info. (I was hoping that the mafia had failed to pick up on that, which is why I had no intention of mentioning it until Jesse either claimed or died. But they did also pick up on Lexx's hint that he had an inforole - he knew that his action on Dave had worked, same deal - even though he was subtler about it. So I was kinda expecting that Jesse might end up dead pretty soon.)

Still, Jesse having targeted Dave for info on N0 doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't also be a vig. I think he might have been a jack-of-all-trades! He did say, just before making his poke at Dave, that his role was one that took a lot of skill to use well. (Speaking as last game's JOAT, I agree, and did not manage to use mine very well in that game.)

...Not that it really matters that much now that he's dead, but if a vig doesn't speak up and claim responsibility for Lusamine, we might want to assume that our (possibly only) innocent nightkill power is gone now?]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
[[Yeah, Jesse having been the vigilante occurred to me as well. But I will also say I don’t think a vig should necessarily claim here? They’d be another very juicy town target, and all claiming the Lusamine kill would do is dispel the notion it was the arsonist, which I think is easily counterable without it. Vig might just be staying silent.]]

Top Bottom