• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[Complete] Vanilla Mafia Simulator 1.0 - Game Thread

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Staff
Pronouns
they/them
Partners
  1. pikachu-chibi
  2. lugia
  3. palkia
  4. lucario-shiny
  5. incineroar-starr
Then she proceeded to lunge at Starr.
Goddamn, what the hell was this lady's damage. It wasn't hard for the Torracat to leap out of the way--one advantage to still being a Pokemon, she guessed. Still, what the fuck.

Starr let out a long, aggravated sigh. "You people are forgetting that most of us don't have any fancy powers in this game. Literally all we got is seeing how people react to the votes. And we don't have any way to know if someone's reaction is sketchy unless we see how they flip."

She was scrawling notes in the weird, hexagonal floor with her claws. Mostly just so she wouldn't lose track of shit.
  • Clovis doesn't wanna misplay, but he admits that voting gives info
  • The... possum? doesn't wanna misplay but thinks we need info
  • Espurr thinks one misvote puts us close to losing
  • Lusamine's the first one to actually make a vote for no one.
Starr gave the others a hard stare. "So if you don't wanna vote, then how do you expect us to get info then, huh?"

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
I realized I did not cover scenarios involving ties in the rules, and I apologize for that.

On day 1 only, a tie will result in nobody being eliminated. After Day 1, a tie will result in the elimination of the first player that reached that number of votes. For example, if person A reaches 4 votes, and then person B reaches 4 votes, then person A will be eliminated. If person C reaches 4 votes, and then 4 votes are put towards No Elimination, then person C would be eliminated, while no one would be eliminated in the opposite situation.

This has been added to the main info post.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
“I agree that she’s weird, but I don’t know if that’s enough to vote for her,” he said. “If she’s innocent, and one of us dies—or…disappears, or whatever—in the night, then we’re down two allies the next day. I’m willing to bet that there’s two killers—mafia—in our group. If that’s true, then we can’t afford to make many mistakes.”
[[We're down one ally anyway, unless we get lucky with our Doctor. Good game balance means having multiple chances to miseliminate.]]

"You could very well lose a potential useful role or innocent if you're just gonna vote people willy-nilly since there's only what? Eight, nine of us around? If I die and I'm innocent – which I am – then whoopsie-doo, higher chance of losing to Mafia."
[[We can't wait for 'proof' of alignment, or Mafia win. You could be either Town or Mafia, and if you're Mafia, our odds of winning drastically improve far more than they'd worsen if you're Town.]]

"Already? Nothing's even happened yet."
[[Nothing can happen this early except this. This is the only way to force Mafia players to leave written evidence of their agenda for future day phases.]]

Blue-Cat's eagerness to make accusations all the time made him uneasy. Then again, they did need information. As long as they didn't needlessly eliminate anyone.... Especially since there were so few people to ebgin with, compared to that one other game he'd been in. A misvote could be horribly risky.
[[We haven't made any accusations, actually! Let alone 'all the time'. We've voted arbitrarily as a strategem, not because we have a theory Jennifer/Shini is scum.]]

Fry agreed. He was curious as to why Blue-Cat suspected that strange lady - after all, ntohing was as it seemed in these games. Sometimes nasty people were on the good side and kind people on the bad. Even nice people with white hair... He sure hoped the White Hair human wasn't involved.

But then, he also didn't trust anyone. Mean lady was as good or bad a guess as anyone. Some strange sixth sense in his head, his Tetra-sense, said that voting off bat was how some players usually operated. Which seemed normal. But who then? There wasn't enough information, enough hadn't happened yet. But he simply could not condone the murder of someone based on vibes... that would not be rootin, tootin or kind. It would just be shootin'

Did Blue-Cat (@unrepentantAuthor ) have any elaborations?

[[historically we always vote Day 1 and a lot of times its fellow townie we kill. I not questioning so much why you voted someone, since we've been over this before, but if you plan to leave your vote, and why you want to leave it. Tbh I never vibed hard with the idea of voting someone Day 1 I guess, esp in a small game.

At this point, I haven't got any solid vibe reads from anyone yet, just thoughts that aren't strong enough to make me want to have a solid vote... But jackies play seeeems to align with their usual style. Not sure yet if thats scum playing townie or townie just being townie though]]
[[Too early for vibes! Anyway, I've come to believe that pressure-voting doesn't provide any information unless you hold it long enough to force No-Elimination counter-votes, or get an alignment flip.]]

"In a game this small there probably aren't more than two mafia at most, right? That means a three in four chance of hitting a townie if we kill someone today, and the mafia will probably kill someone tonight. Then all they need is a myslynch and a night to win. We can't just recklessly kill people."
[[The most likely setup has two mafia. For there to be three, there would need to be other oddities such as surplus bulletproof townies and/or tragic lovers or something, which is also possible. In any case, it's not particularly likely that the Mafia will get four straight kills over four phases without a single successful elimination, cop ping, doctor save, or bulletproof hit. This is fine.]]

Brisa shook her head, and cleared her throat.

"Y'all ain't gettin' it, huh? Doin' nothin' and hopin' the town cop lives long enough and gets lucky enough to point us to the scum ain't gonna cut it. That's just askin' to give control of the game to the mafia! This is a game where gatherin' information an' risk pay off later, not a real life justice system where folks're innocent until proven guilty. Lemme show you how this goes down, yeah?"

Brisa's claws lit up with energy as she scored notes and tables into the tessellated floor. All the while she went about explaining her reasoning, as if driven by some inner Voice...

[[Howdy, folks. While we can't know exactly what the setup actually consists of, some general principles always apply. Put simply, I would make the following points to argue in favour of early voting:
  1. Eliminating nobody guarantees we make no progress towards a Town victory, while even miseliminating a Townie gives us information useful on future days and voting gives us a chance at targeting a mafioso.
  2. The more kills are under Town control, the greater the odds any of them will be Mafia. No-elimination reduces this.
  3. In a vanilla game, Town can afford to sacrifice no-role players in the process of closing in on Mafia.
  4. The fewer players there are on Night 1, the better the odds of a successful Cop ping or Doctor save.
  5. The fewer players there are on Day 2, the better the odds of a successful elimination vote.
  6. The only way to gain real information on Days 2-5 from votes and counter-arguments on Day 1 is by committing to the elimination and taking note of what the flip says about the people who weighed in on the wagon.
I have previously made the following argument in a recent game:]]

[[Howdy! Jackie again, posting an argument in favour of D1 eliminations.

Town-controlled kills are the only means of winning the game, and you want as many as possible.

Kills by Mafia will generally be exclusively against Town. Eliminations have some chance of killing Mafia.

Let's return to [a 9-player setup I had mentioned earlier].

In the scenario where Town doesn't eliminate on D1 and the Mafia kill nightly:
Day 2: 6 town, 2 scum. (25% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 4 town, 2 scum. (33% chance of hitting scum)

In the scenario where Town instead goes for the kill:
Day 2: 5 town, 2 scum. (28.5% chance of hitting scum)
Day 3: 3 town, 2 scum. (40% chance of hitting scum)

This demonstrates that Town's odds of victory are numerically better each day if they eliminate on the first, even when voting fully randomly. Even considering power roles, fewer targets means better odds of Doctor and Cop successes, too. It means closing in on the Mafia and leaving fewer places to hide.]]

"So y'see," concluded Brisa, breathlessly, "this is just sensible tactics, with no hard feelings involved."

"And why eliminate any of us so early? Especially when some of us could be...useful."
Then she proceeded to lunge at Starr.

Starr dodged handily, of course, but Brisa still tensed up, eyes dilating and hackles rising. What would happen if she tried to fight someone, in this place? Surely her strength wouldn't be allowed to count for anything, here...

"Reckon I've made my argument damned well," she muttered, before turning to lick her hackles flat.

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
[[Also on the topic of rules clarifications, for anyone who was still unsure: Jackie/Brisa & Chibi/Starr are a hydra, and count as one player with one vote, one role, and one life.]]

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"She's right," Dave said, still leaning back against the stage, arms folded. "We want to eliminate somebody today. Abstaining just means the mafia gets to make the next kill, and then it'll definitely be a townie. Makes sense sometimes when most everyone's got useful powers, but not here. All we need is for whoever we eliminate to not be less likely than chance to be mafia, and for the flip to give us useful info."

He regarded the magician woman for a moment. "And you know what, I'm happy sticking with her for the moment. We've gotten some interesting reactions to the idea of eliminating her, she tried to deflect attention to the next creepiest person when accused, whatever the fuck kind of magic trickery she's doing is creepy as shit and I'd love to never see it again."

[Vote: Jennifer/ShiniGojira]

ShiniGojira

Multiversal Extraordinaire
Pronouns
He/him/they/her
Partners
  1. froslass
  2. zorua-gojira
  3. salandit-shiny
[[Won't be around EoD due to school so don't expect much from me.

Going for Vote: No Elmination since while Jackie does provide some good points. I'm still not sure it's a good idea to vote with such a high chance of failure.

@windskull ]]

Flyg0n

Flygon connoisseur
Pronouns
She/her
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. swampert
  3. ho-oh
  4. crobat
  5. orbeetle
  6. joltik
  7. salandit
  8. tyrantrum
Fry considered everything carefully for some time. He still didn't agree with eliminating so early...

But maybe there was some information to be gleaned.

[[in the interest of being speedy im going ooc for this

First...
[[We haven't made any accusations, actually! Let alone 'all the time'. We've voted arbitrarily as a strategem, not because we have a theory Jennifer/Shini is scum.]]
to be clear the 'all the time' is more flavor than purely accurate, although you do tend to favor day 1 elimination whereas I still just don't agree and we've won before without out, but thats moot point. You don't actually make accusations all the time.

[[Too early for vibes! Anyway, I've come to believe that pressure-voting doesn't provide any information unless you hold it long enough to force No-Elimination counter-votes, or get an alignment flip.]]
Idk, I feel like pressure voting has worked before. because there's definitely something to glean maybe?

-Oh man sniped, I was gonna make a point how it still feels risky - I think pressure voting and vibes based from it are good D1 but to save votes for D2.

Ugh I'm really sorry, I'm I have to do a crucial errand but I'm still not sure. I am torn because in a small game maybe lynching someone is better? gonna try to pop back in after analying reactions to the vote]]

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
But he simply could not condone the murder of someone based on vibes... that would not be rootin, tootin or kind. It would just be shootin'
[[the only reason I’m quoting this is because it’s amazing and made me cackle and I had to acknowledge it hahahaha

Okay so. Agh. I’m torn. This is the same argument Jackie presented before, and they were town. Honestly? Scum get an advantage almost either way unless we miraculously lynch a scum today. We need info, but we also can’t afford many mistakes, especially if we are wrong today.

That said…we do need info. Like, really badly, because we have absolutely nothing to go on. Usually I’m all for lynching someone for info on the flip, the main reason I’m hesitant this time is because the game is so small and there’s way less wiggle room for mistakes, but…ugh. Screw it.

Vote: Shini]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[I’m deeply deeply torn, and that might majorly be because this is the smallest game I’ve played so I’m feeling a lot more paranoid about voting wrong. We vote wrong, that’s one townie dead, then scum gets another kill, that’s two town dead already in an 8 person game.

But I do like Jackie’s argument that a smaller pool means a possible doc or cop has a higher chance of a successful power land. And I do attest to the idea that voting IS information.

Gods. I’m torn rn. Shini can you offer us any insight as to why it would be an absolutely terrible idea for us to vote you?]]

unrepentantAuthor

Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Brisa sat on her haunches, glancing from player to player, wondering who she could trust if she woke up alive the next morning. The human – Dave – the one with the bizarre story who knew both her and Starr... he'd weighed in straight away to agree with them about early voting, sticking his neck out with confidence that it was the right play, and for the right reasons. That felt good. Could she extend her trust further than that, to anyone else...? Uncertain. Too little to go on.

Well, and of course there was Starr. Thank sky and stars that they were bonded for this game. If they'd had to turn on each other, it would have damn well broken Brisa's heart. The two of them together could handle anything.

Nearly nightfall. Time to brace for a long wait 'til dawn.

[[See y'all on Day 2 if we're lucky, heh. For what it's worth, don't fret too much about the game being small. It would have to go astonishingly badly for us to lose on Night 2. Somewhere down the line, a cop ping/doctor save/bulletproof hit/scum elimination will help us along. Count on it.]]

Sinderella

Angy Tumbleweed
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon-shiny
  2. gothitelle
  3. froslass
  4. chandelure
  5. mimikyu
[[ugh. Fuck me.

Vote: Shini ]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Jenn let out a sigh, a wide grin etched across her face as she shrugged. "Welp, guess y'all got me. Would've love to mess with all of you some more. But alas, the little kitten's got more than a couple barks to her bite."

A white light enveloped her form as she giggled and waved. "See ya folks on the other side. Ciao."

---

At the same time, Jennifer's orb shattered into dozens of tiny pieces, and she disappeared in a flash of light. The shards clattered to the ground, taking on a red glow.

"How very interesting," Alex said, floating forward to observe the pieces. "Well done, town, you have earned yourself an early lead. But the game is not over yet." They turned their head towards the surrounding houses. "You may all find a place to sleep in those. I suggest you do so soon, you may never know what's prowling in the night.

And then Darkness Fell

Jennifer (ShiniGojira) has been eliminated. She was Mafia.
Day 2 Begins in 48 Hours.

Final Votes
ShiniGojira (Jennifer): 4
@unrepentantAuthor and @Chibi Pika
@Dragonfree
@Sinderella
@HelloYellow17

No Elimination: 2
@IFBench
@ShiniGojira

No vote:
@Flyg0n
@SparklingEspeon

Last edited:

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
So, it came to this already. In the darkness, after first nightfall, during her restless sleep.

"Can't say I blame ya," drawled Brisa, "considerin' how fast we got on yer pal yesterday. Mighta thought we'd dust you come break of mornin'. Mighta been right, motherfucker."

Her hackles went up, and she put herself between her killer and Starr. Much good it would do – Starr would likely fall the moment she did, connected as they were – but it felt right, and that was a comfort. Were they really the first, with no-one to save them? There was no elemental energy in her body to channel into an attack. Was this what it felt like to be totally defenceless...?

"You'd best hope yer smarts're somethin' else," she snarled. "'Cause there's no fuckin' way y'ain't goin' down soon enough."

Already, huh. Starr knew how these games went. She also knew there was no preventing it. In a way, it was almost a relief for it to be over so soon. The dungeons they'd been stuck in recently didn't let go nearly this fast.

...Assuming this place did let them go. She'd never been taken in the night last time. She didn't know what came next.

Brisa leaped into a defensive position, and Starr didn't tell her it was pointless. Maybe she knew, but fighting back was just what Brisa did, and Starr wouldn't change that.

"Let's give them hell," Starr said, even if she knew they wouldn't.

The environment is a bit different the next day. Puffy white clouds scuttle across a blue sky, carried by an invisible breeze. The hexagons have changed color to be sandy brown, and holographic palm trees sprouted amongst the little houses.

As everyone gathers, it's clear that someone is missing. Two someones, in fact. The luxio and torracat that had been so outspoken on the previous day. A search party is quickly organized, hoping for the best. Maybe they just slept in? But soon, it's clear that's not what happened.

The remains of an orb are found in one of the houses, shattered so thoroughly that it was little more than dust. Even so, the shards still glow green.

Brisa and Starr (unrepentantAuthor and ChibiPika) were eliminated. They were Town.

Day 2 Ends in 48 hours.

HelloYellow17

Gym Leader
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. suicune
  2. umbreon
  3. mew
  4. lycanroc-wes
  5. leafeon-rui
Wes blinked at the bright sun overhead. Huh, new scenery. Not unlike his last experience doing this stupid charade.

He didn’t waste any time speculating on the weird set-up, though. Instead, he immediately scanned the gathering crowd (well, “crowd” was maybe a bit too generous) and noticed both felines were missing. His heart sank; Wes had hoped that maybe, just maybe, they’d be able to scrape by without any losses tonight, but those two had certainly made a target out of themselves once they’d sniffed out a killer.

He closed his eyes and sighed. He hadn’t spoken with either of them much, but they had his respect. The best they could do today was find who was responsible and ensure nobody else would get hurt.

He didn’t bother with introductions, and instead stood in front of the group and started pacing. “Right, so. Those two were innocent. Not surprising after yesterday’s reveal.”

He looked up and nodded at the insomniac-looking guy in the white coat. “You voted for that crazy chick pretty quickly yesterday, so I’m inclined to trust you.” He then side-eyed the other crazy lady. “I’m…less sure about you. But she tried to accuse you yesterday when we put the screws to her, and I don’t think she’d have been so quick to rat out a teammate. I think you might be innocent, but I don’t trust you as far as I can throw you.”

He glanced around at the rest: The little rodent mon, Clovis, the gray feline. Clovis had also helped vote out the killer yesterday, but the other two…hadn’t said much at all…

Top Bottom