• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[INNOCENTS WIN] First Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

kyeugh

you gotta feel your lines
Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
my lynch will give town a good amount of info.
such as...?
"I mean, if he's a member of the mafia why the fuck would we believe he's a backup in the first fucking place? That doesn't make any fucking sense."
[[ “A fine point,” Lauchs conceded. “Yet the raichu’s claim would be quite a bold one without the knowledge that no one could counter it. It’s possible he took a great gamble, but if he’s scum, I find it more likely he was simply claiming the role he truly had. The safest move for him, after all.” ]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"I mean, if he's a member of the mafia why the fuck would we believe he's a backup in the first fucking place? That doesn't make any fucking sense."

[[

"The Backup role can potentially be mafia-aligned, per the rules," Diyem said. "Technically, they could assume that if the mafia has a backup, perhaps the town does not. If Desper is the backup, or anybody in mafia is the backup, they can take out a player, and then state that they are the backup. Their claim to innocence would be the lack of a counterclaim. If there is a role that reveals what someone's power is, but not their alignment, that would further increase Desper's credibility, should such a gambit pay off.

"Note, this is all based on the assumption that Desper is mafia."

]]

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
such as...?
Me being town will confirm you as town due to N1, it will mostly confirm Sike as town due to "big double fakeclaim theory" being completely impossible meaning Sike's claim would have have to have been luckily corroborated by a town, it'll somewhat clear SparklingEspeon, and prove that there has to be a Mafia roleblocker. Anything else people would like to add on is welcome.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
I think you forgot something:
I did.
I can't help but find it extra fricking weird that you would attempt a night action during the day.

What are you playing at?
I wanted the mafia to think they'd have to use a power role against me to get me. I knew from the wording of Negrek's message that I couldn't use it on myself anyway, but I also knew that the mafia wasn't privy to such info. At least, until you told them, assuming you are a protector. I was hoping to throw them off since I made myself at least some kind of priority target by roleclaiming.

I guess there's no harm in saying I didn't protect Yami last night since the Mafia already know. But I've been OOC too long.

[["Think I coulda done anythin' t'stop that?" Desper balked. "A'course not. But I'yain't lettin' anyun know who I protected. They got 'nuff info on us as is."

'N' now he'd more'n the mafia 'gainst'm. "Honestly, y'all, I know I steal f'r'a livin', but I'd wager more'n most a y'all're stealin'directly whether y'admit it're not. 'Can't buy 'nless some'ne else dies,' as they say." He fin'ly pulled his brim up t'face his accusers. "Well'm sorry I didn't let y'know my 'spicions while we alls was sleepin', but I'll be sure t'holler'm all out next time."

He shook his head'n' chuckled. "Just thought y'all'd need the beauty sleep more'n me, but's y'all's mugs I s'pose." His leer went t'Lauchs. "Y'really think I'd waste chips on a high? I'm placin' m'bets where I see high odds. Too much lines up'n yer favor. First y'ju's'happen t'be in'cent thanks to some switcheroony. When that hole gets sniffed, y'stumble yer way'nta shootin' a black hat wit' yer eyes closed?"

His paw ran along the notches on his sixer. "Maybe ' personal 'xample'd help." He flipped out his iron'n flashed it for all t'see. "M'very first notch. Jimmy. Had a habit o' callin' me yella. 'Course I was at the time, but 'course you know what he really meant. Big, mean ole 'mon, 'e was. We'd been on 'nuff heists to buy all the land'n then some. S'course them 'geese were after us."

An old wound took over his expression. "Now, y'might think it mighty fine to have yer picture up in erry town, but I wa'n't too fond 'f it." His gruff voice swallowed ten pounds of gravel for th'sake o' quotin'. "He'd always say, 'Despy, nuttin's more'mport'nt'n lookin'cent.' Not a sun set'n' he didn't say that. Well, one night he felt mighty thirsty. Couldn't drink'nuff. Drank s'much he thought that pretty young thing liked him. When she asked for actual in the mornin'?"

He whistled, shakin' his head. "This town was a biggun. Bein' there was risk 'nuff as is. Badges came a runnin' afore the shot rang. Poor gal. 'Scapin' wa'n't'n option. Had to look in'cent. S'I's killed the killer." He put on a pitiful expression'n brought his paws together to beg while his voice hopped a hill. "'I had t'kill'm, sheriff. He been forcin' me to live'n owl hoot's life 'cause I'm s'small, but I couldn't take'm killin'at poor woman. Please don' hang me."

His smirk returned 'n' he holstered his iron. "Gave me 'is bounty'n sent me on my way." He finally dropped his leer back to Lauch. "Errything makin' you look inn'cent's too purposeful. Y'might notta been th'first t'vote yer own, but Tefi asked you to 'cide who erryone should vote for 'cause y're oh so pure. Y'ain't first on my list, that's still 'Fesser Finner, but I don't trust you."]]

OOC/Translation: There are people I suspect more than qva, and I still want to vote DawningWinds today, but there's too much that just so happens to make qva look clean that it looks intentional. Mostly, however, because of the switch that made her look innocent and that is now looking like at least partially a lie. If Dawning flips mafia, then a mafia will have acted to make qva look innocent. Since we're about to possibly reveal that, they'd need another reason for her to look innocent.

IRL, I've voted mafia as mafia. I won those games nine times out of ten. This is a strategy I've used and I know is very effective. It's why I'm suspicious of it.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
@Negrek Does this game have a hammer rule in place?
Nope. Day phases will generally always go to time. If the vote is more or less unanimous and it looks like people are just going to be sitting around bored for twenty hours or whatever I might consider ending the phase early, but lynch happens at the end of the phase and not at any player reaching a vote majority.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
IRL, I've voted mafia as mafia. I won those games nine times out of ten. This is a strategy I've used and I know is very effective. It's why I'm suspicious of it.
yes, it’s a normal thing to do. it’s not normal to go out of your way to KILL your teammate that isn’t already on the way to death, especially if you already have decent cover.

Sike Saner

fundead
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. glalie
[["The fuck are you talking about? If you weren't protecting him, there's no reason to think you were blocked and no reason to even discuss it."]]

Eh, was just thinking out loud. In retrospect, I guess it really wasn't necessary.

Of all the mislynches we could have, I'm probably the least loss (both player-skill-wise and role), I don't have really any scumreads right now, my lynch will give town a good amount of info.

Yeah, but it would also bring the mafia one step closer to victory. We'd be doing some of their work for them. We need to keep outnumbering them as much as we can.

I wanted the mafia to think they'd have to use a power role against me to get me. I knew from the wording of Negrek's message that I couldn't use it on myself anyway, but I also knew that the mafia wasn't privy to such info. At least, until you told them, assuming you are a protector. I was hoping to throw them off since I made myself at least some kind of priority target by roleclaiming.

Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about this. "Baffle 'em with bullshit" does seem like an on-brand tactic against the mafia, and I guess I can understand wanting to keep info out of the thread (although that does keep info away from town in addition to mafia). But like... I don't know. Why would acting like you can defend against a possible lynch translate to "sorry mafia, you're gonna have to pierce-kill me"?

Meanwhile I don't recall seeing anything in my role PM that clearly stated that we can't self-defend. But note the "clearly" there. I'll admit that sometimes I have trouble with ambiguities--hence my having to ask Negrek if I could self-defend, just to be sure. Maybe it was there all along and I just failed to read between the lines. Also, I do acknowledge that our roles, while functionally similar, might not actually be identical.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Wait... You're not a novice at this game?
[[“Settin’s diff’nt, but I been ‘round.”]]

OOC/Translation: I’ve played this game in real life, but it’s more different than I’d’ve guessed. It’s also why I tried to counter claim Sike because two doctors was a rarity.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
Meanwhile I don't recall seeing anything in my role PM that clearly stated that we can't self-defend.
I feel like saying the wording that tipped me off would be breaking the rules, but I will say it was implied, not stated. In fact, just in case, I pmed Negrek saying that wasn’t what I actually wanted to do in the off chance I’d get locked into doing something I didn’t want to.

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Yeah, but it would also bring the mafia one step closer to victory. We'd be doing some of their work for them. We need to keep outnumbering them as much as we can.
There are at most three of them left if this uses ~25% of the game balance. One mislynch at this point in the game isn't going to ruin us, I don't really have any scumreads right now, and I probably couldn't stop myself from being lynched even if I didn't think it was the least bad mislynch we could get.

Tanuki

Friend of All Chu
Pronouns
He/him/his
it’s not normal to go out of your way to KILL your teammate that isn’t already on the way to death, especially if you already have decent cover.
Going out of my way to kill my teammate is the strategy I’m talking about, and as I already stated, your decent cover is coming from the word of a potential mafia. So, your current cover could implicate you if Dawning flips Mafia.

kyeugh

Staff
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. farfetchd-galar
  2. gfetchd-kyeugh
  3. onion-san
  4. farfetchd
Going out of my way to kill my teammate is the strategy I’m talking about, and as I already stated, your decent cover is coming from the word of a potential mafia. So, your current cover could implicate you if Dawning flips Mafia.
you’ve, as scum, killed your teammate that no one was suspecting for no reason other than to make youself look better even though no one was suspecting you?

Top Bottom