• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

[MAFIA WIN] Second Anniversary Fanfic Mafia - Game Thread

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
You're going to regret this.

"I was a fucking backup. Lexx was a cop, and now I'm the cop. There! Can you get off my case now!" Arctozolt screeched.
Dave stared at Arctozolt. "You fucking idiot. There are roles that can see the roles of who died. You'd set up for being one of those by saying you saw both roles. People wanted to know what Lexx was, not you. You didn't have to say that you're the cop now. Thanks, now the mafia knows exactly who to kill tonight. You'd better hope we've got doctors here."

Dragonfree

Staff
Pronouns
she/her/hers
Partners
  1. butterfree
  2. mightyena
  3. charizard
  4. scyther-mia
  5. vulpix
  6. slugma
"Yep, I can see why you'd want that to be kept quiet." Miyako sighed. It wasn't the best result in the world, but it wasn't the worst, either. "If someone can keep you alive tonight, that can at least confirm one person. I wonder who Lexx got to check on?" Her gaze drifted towards Jesse and Dave.
"I'll go out on a limb and say it was me," Dave said with a sigh. "For two reasons. One, Lexx put me down as definitely innocent from the first time he made a list, but not Jesse. And two, what he said indicated he'd targeted me and knew it went through, hence no jailing. Targeting Jesse wouldn't have told him anything about whether his action failed because I was jailed."

DawningWinds

Ace Trainer
Partners
  1. hawlucha
Chibi is listed as dying first, therefore more like not Chibi is considered to have died prior to Rascal for the purposes of anything that require a specific death order. I'd say probably Chibi's death was caused by the Mafia and Rascal's was something else, and Mafia-caused deaths go first.

Also yes thank you Dragonfree Bench very much could've claimed that they could see the roles of the people who died and the Mafia would've left them alone because they also benefit from that knowledge but it's too late now. We most likely have multiple protection roles I'd think with TR's history and the size of the game plus two people have claimed bus driver so someone oughta be able to protect Bench so it's not as bad as it could be but they'll still probably get roleblocked.

IFBench

Rescue Team Member
Partners
  1. chikorita-saltriv
  2. bench-gen
  3. charmander
  4. snivy
  5. treecko
  6. tropius
  7. arctozolt
  8. wartortle
[[I'm so sorry]]

Namohysip

Dragon Enthusiast
Staff
Partners
  1. flygon
  2. charizard
  3. milotic
  4. zoroark-soda
  5. sceptile
  6. marowak
  7. jirachi
"...I see." Alexander nodded. "Excuse me."

He slowly drifted off to some isolated part of the plane. For a while, he was screaming, throwing great lances of darkness into the sky where they slowly faded out. After several volleys of this, he drifted back to the others.

"We can salvage some of this," he said, and then turned to Chappie. "You revealed your role. The swapper, or this... bus-driver, was it? Who did you swap on the zeroth night? Did it involve Dave? If it didn't involve Dave, we can perhaps confirm Dave's innocence at the very least. Lexx seemed unreasonably confident in Dave's innocence, and perhaps this is why."

Inkedust

Harbinger of Sunrise
Pronouns
she/her
Partners
  1. ninetales-inkedust
  2. solgaleo-inkedust
  3. xerneas
  4. zoroark-inkedust
"That was a lie to try and get everyone to think our ability was something different. I only saw the human's ability," the creature said.

Altair's eyes snapped open upon hearing those words. His voice low, his glare piercing. "Then tell me abomination, why in the fucking name of Kyogre, did you bring this up to begin with? All you've done is waste time that we could've been using to hunt down Mafia. Are you fucking satisfied?"

[[This is all in character of course. While I'm admittedly a bit miffed about all of this, I'm definitely not as angry as Altair here. Also Bench, please don't apologise. It's just a game, nobody is going to hold it against you.]]

unrepentantAuthor

A cat that writes stories.
Pronouns
they/she
Partners
  1. purrloin-salem
  2. sneasel-dusk
  3. luz-companion
  4. brisa-companion
  5. meowth-laura
  6. delphox-jesse
  7. mewtwo
  8. zeraora
Jesse pinched the bridge of his muzzle and sighed.

"Let's make the best of this. Hopefully a townie will keep Arctozolt from gettin' merked in the night an' the fuckers can make 'emselves useful. I'm still workin' on my notes, bear with me..."

AbraPunk

Cosmic Guardian
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. luxio
then turned to Chappie. "You revealed your role. The swapper, or this... bus-driver, was it? Who did you swap on the zeroth night? Did it involve Dave? If it didn't involve Dave, we can perhaps confirm Dave's innocence at the very least. Lexx seemed unreasonably confident in Dave's innocence, and perhaps this is why."
"Dave was not involved in swapping on night zero. I swapped Lusamine and Altair then."

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
the size of the game plus two people have claimed bus driver so someone oughta be able to protect Bench

[[quick point--I thought Abra was the only one who has claimed Bus Driver?]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
Alright, so the events that went on while I was asleep are... odd. I'm going to start with ordering what happened after Mewtwo/others told Bench to explain why they thought Chibi was targeted for their ability.

• Bench claims to know that Chibi was targeted by Mafia for Chibi's ability
  • Bench claimed to have the ability to learn dead players' roles
  • Claimed that Rascal was Hider, and died because they hid behind Spark/Lexx/tbh the swapping still confuses me
  • Said they shouldn't reveal Chibi's role
  • Other players point out that Bench would have no idea if the Mafia knew Chibi's role, thus even if their role is legit their reasoning is still conjecture
  • Bench gradually reveals more info at other players' goading, such that Lexx had a standard role
  • Windskull/Namco voted Bench
  • Bench claimed to be Chibi's backup
  • Consequently, their previous roleclaim was a lie, and they knew nothing about Rascal's role/how Rascal died
  • As Chibi's backup, Bench is now Cop because Chibi had been
To start with, a Townie lying like that does not set me at ease. Now, I don't think that Bench is Mafia, because I feel like their teammates would have stopped this whole debacle at some point. However, Bench's claims do not seem to mesh? Before Bench's final claim, Windskull brought some of Chibi's quotes to the table while trying to guess what Chibi had been.

Lexx smirked. "You think Dave was rolestopped? Nah--I've got pretty decent evidence against that. I think you were just blocked."
"Yeah, just gonna vouch that Dave wasn't jailed," Lexx said without looking up. "Jailers aren't unheard of--apparently the Scrafty in game 1 was one and literally nobody knew. But yeah, that's not it this time."

Again, all this stuff greatly confuses me, but I'm going to try to work this out. First, from these quotes, Chibi had a role that led them to three conclusions:

1) they could theorize that Jesse was roleblocked,

2) they had strong evidence Dave was not rolestopped, and

3) they firmly believed Dave was not jailed.

Now, from what I can gather, what happened last night was that both Jesse and Lexx targeted Dave, leading Chibi to the conclusions above, Jesse to something, and Dave to confusion. With that and Bench's claim, I'm going to assign roles as such:

• Chibi was a Cop
  • Jesse has an ability that still confuses me; it "fizzled" when he tried to perform it on Dave last night, leading him to believe Dave's ability didn't work. (I am still so confused; I'll say he can detect if a role was used)
  • Dragonfree has some kind of passive ability that wouldn't be affected by a Role Blocker. We'll say Bulletproof
Okay, so Chibi copped Dave and came up with innocent. That would mean Dave could not have been rolestopped, or else Chibi would have come back with nothing. However, a typical Jailer is a combination healer/roleblocker. If Dave was protected/prevented from using his ability... how would an innocent read give Cop Chibi give any info about that? To me, Windskull's theory makes a lot more sense.

"I don't know about you guys, but to me that suggests that he was watching Dave, and didn't see Jesse interact with him. Which is how he knew - or at least suspected - Jesse was blocked.

Chibi being a Watcher who targeted Dave would have given them all the info needed to make their claims. They got back a nothing response from Dave, whereas if Dave had been rolestopped Chibi's response would have came back null. Since Chibi saw no onseg from Dave, there could be no jailer involved. Since Jesse claimed to have tried to perform an ability, Chibi can theorize that Jesse must have been blocked because Chibi didn't see him.

Honestly, this whole thing is mind-hurting me. If you see any hole in my logic, PLEASE tell me. I honestly can not see how Cop!Chibi would have worked, and I honestly cannot see why town!Bench would have done absolutely any of this. Again, I think a hypothetical Mafia!Bench would have been advised against this whole thing by their teammates. But... it seems to me like Bench is lying still now--could they be an Arsonist/Third Party?

For now, based on my reasoning, I have to vote Bench. I do, however, plan to list and rate every player before the end of day. If someone points out holes, I'll change because I really do not want to mislynch the Cop again.

vote: Bench/Arctozolt
]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
Chibi is listed as dying first, therefore more like not Chibi is considered to have died prior to Rascal for the purposes of anything that require a specific death order. I'd say probably Chibi's death was caused by the Mafia and Rascal's was something else, and Mafia-caused deaths go first.
[[No, actually - Rascal was listed as dying first by Negrek's post.

Which is an interesting point. As far as I understand it, backups usually inherit the ability of the first townie who died. If two townies die in the same night, then this should come down to whichever one counts as dying "first" based on however the GM resolves the night actions. Arctozolt admitted they didn't actually know Rascal's role, so it doesn't seem like they got to choose.

So we need to know something that it should be possible to just confirm right here. Hey, @Negrek , are the order of the GM messages announcing who's died indicative of the order in which they died, or are they in a randomised order if there are multiple deaths?

]]

Tefiren peered down at the half-zolt thing as it finally revealed the whole secret. That... wasn't nearly as much of a fun surprise as it'd been making him expect.

"Well that wasn't very clever of you." He cocked his head. "But maybe you're just not very good at this game, and not actually trying to trick us."

He jolted up, becoming more animated suddenly. "Hey, actually, I know an easy way we can check that!" He looked around at the group. "If anybody else here can actually learn the tricks of the person who gets caught first, tell us! But if you do, don't actually tell us what trick you learned, obviously.

"See, something like this happened last game!" he told the group excitedly. "That Raichu back then was weird and annoying, but we were all pretty sure he wasn't lying, because nobody else spoke up about having the ability to learn other people's tricks."

[[Please disregard Tefiren's tone, he can be an insensitive dick at times.

So yeah, just to be clear: if this is a lie, this can be easily counterclaimed not by the actual cop (too risky), but by the actual backup speaking up. Said hypothetical backup can counterclaim without telling us the role they inherited and therefore doesn't have to paint a target on their head. If nobody does, we can be reasonably sure Arctozolt isn't lying to us, unless there just isn't a backup in this game at all. Backup is a role that there's inherently a maximum of one of.

That aside, I'm reasonably willing to put this down to genuine inexperience on IFBench's part, in a fumbling attempt to give some helpful information without putting themselves in danger that ended up going horribly wrong. That doesn't rule out the possibility that it was some kind of mafia misdirection ploy that then turned into a cop claim once pressure was applied so we didn't actually lynch them, but this feels more genuine to me, based on IFBench's awkward apologetic-ness about the whole thing.

Like everyone else, I still don't believe there was any genuine reason to assume that the mafia must have known Lexx was the cop. Maybe they have a role cop and checked Chibi with it on night 0, but that's only a small possibility. At the same time, I can kind of see how Arctozolt finding out that Lexx was the cop made them so surprised that such an important role was killed so early that it felt like it had to be that the mafia knew about it somehow and did this on purpose, rather than that it was just luck. Laser-focusing on information you have that nobody else does can happen like that (I'd know; see my shenanigans yesterday).

And yeah, I agree that Lexx definitely targeted Dave, so if Arctozolt is proven to be telling the truth, we can pretty much mechanically clear Dave. And Lexx putting Dave at the top of his readlist yesterday (I was a little surprised that Chibi seemed to be reading Dragonfree as significantly more towny than I was at the time) does support (not prove, obviously) that the action he did was an inspection, so again, reason for me to be willing to trust Arctozolt. At least if Negrek confirms that the death announcements are random and don't prove Rascal died first, because if she did, we have a contradiction.

(For what it's worth, not that it matters any more, I was totally willing to believe that Arctozolt could have had a role that passively learns the roles of other players upon death. It's a custom role - not quite the same thing as Coroner - but Dragonfree included it in a game she GMed over on TCoDf, and I believe Negrek themselves had that role in that game, so it's perfectly believable to me that it could show up in a Negrek game.)

]]

Shiny Phantump

Through Dream, I Travel
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. sylveon
  2. absol-mega
  3. silvally-psychic
  4. ninetales-phantump
  5. cosmog
  6. gallade-phantump
  7. ceruledge-phantump
Lusamine noticed a sanguine taste in her mouth. She was biting her lip a little too hard, perhaps.

"I can believe in the genuineness of that mistake, I suppose. A shame, really, because now I don't know what to do. I was hoping you knew the Arsonist hadn't targeted Lexx was insider information. Would've made for a much easier vote tonight. I think those of you voting anyways out of spite are making a mistake, though."

[[C'mon, do we really want to lynch our probably-a-cop?

I don't know who else to vote for, yet, though. It's first thing in the morning here and I'm not in the mood to work it out yet. I promise I'll get something in on time, though, we still have 8 hours. Hopefully some info will come up that'll make it easier.]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[ninja'd by Equitial!

[[
Chibi being a Watcher who targeted Dave would have given them all the info needed to make their claims. They got back a nothing response from Dave, whereas if Dave had been rolestopped Chibi's response would have came back null. Since Chibi saw no onseg from Dave, there could be no jailer involved. Since Jesse claimed to have tried to perform an ability, Chibi can theorize that Jesse must have been blocked because Chibi didn't see him.

Honestly, this whole thing is mind-hurting me. If you see any hole in my logic, PLEASE tell me.
]]
Chibi didn't need to be a watcher to theorise that Jesse was blocked. Jesse said his ability "fizzled", which had made him suspect at first that Dave had done something to stop it. You don't need to have actually targeted Dave with anything to be able to theorise from what Jesse said that another possibility is that Jesse was just roleblocked. Chibi having (implicitly) targeted Dave with something only served to rule out the possibilities that Dave was rolestopped or jailed. ]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[hmmmm reading the wiki page on backups, it does actually say there that the usual resolution if multiple townies die at night is that it defaults to the one directly killed by the mafia, rather than who necessarily died first. So maybe Negrek's using that rule, and even if they confirm Rascal died first, it doesn't actually prove Arctozolt's lying.]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[ninja'd by Equitial!

Chibi didn't need to be a watcher to theorise that Jesse was blocked. Jesse said his ability "fizzled", which had made him suspect at first that Dave had done something to stop it. You don't need to have actually targeted Dave with anything to be able to theorise from what Jesse said that another possibility is that Jesse was just roleblocked. Chibi having (implicitly) targeted Dave with something only served to rule out the possibilities that Dave was rolestopped or jailed. ]]

[[Point to roleblocked jeese, but according to the mafiascum.wiki for Jailer, a Jailer only affects the target's role. That means, if Chibi copped DF, they would have gotten the same result if DF had been jailed or not. Whereas if DF had been rolestopped, Chibi would have gotten a "null" result.

>>>A Jailkeeper (or Jailer)'s Night Action is one that protects its target from kills, but also Roleblocks its target. Unlike Doctor, Jailkeeper's protection extends to stopping every kill that would resolve on the target by default.

>>>A Roleblocker chooses one player per Night to block from performing their night action. The target's night action will not be performed -- that is, the Roleblocker blocks the target's role from working
]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
[[
Okay I'm also seeing that Dragonfree is saying that Chibi's ability wouldn't have worked if Dragonfree was jailed. I may be just entirely confused on how Jailkeepers work, please help
]]

elyvorg

somewhat backwards
Pronouns
she/they
[[As far as I understand it - though it seems the wiki doesn't agree, huh, guess this is why you'd be confused - Jailer is a combination rolestopper and roleblocker, in that it stops anything from targeting the jailed person. That makes sense with the flavour of "jailing" - the target is taken and trapped somewhere for the night where they can't get to anyone, and everyone else (not just the mafia) can't get to them either. There was a jailer in Game 1 on here, and based on the role PM text, that was indeed how it worked, so it's fair for Dragonfree/Chibi/others assume that that'd be how jailers would work in any of Negrek's games.]]

Equitial

Ace Trainer
Pronouns
he/him
Partners
  1. espurr
  2. inkay
  3. woobat
  4. ralts
NebulaDreams - Ess from Black Paint
Ability: Vigilante Justice

You are aligned with the Innocents and win when all non-Innocent players are jailed. Once per night you may choose another player to "protect." If you choose to do so, any night action that player attempts will fail, and any night actions taken targeting that player will also fail.

[[
ahhh, well then Bench is still horribly confusing, but I'm not risking the Cop

unvote: Bench/Arctozolt
]]

windskull

Bidoof Fan
Staff
Partners
  1. sneasel-nip
  2. bidoof
  3. absol
  4. kirlia
  5. windskull-bidoof
  6. little-guy-windskull
  7. purugly
  8. mawile
Well now Kyros felt kind of bad. Maybe he'd been a bit too harsh. His fur laid flat and he took a couple of steps back. "You... that's...." Deep breaths, Kyros. Think. "I still think your story is a bit... suspicious. But the power to see guilt... Well. I'm willing to give you a chance to prove yourself. Don't screw it up."

[[I'm still not completely convinced Bench is being truthful here, after all that mess. But after last game, I'd rather use caution and not vote off the cop. (If he really is the cop, mind you.) That does leave me back at not knowing who to vote for. I'll try to make a scum read list before EOD, but my time is limited. But... I'm not gettting any particularly strong scum reads? Like, even if all the inactive players were scum (extremely unlikely), we'd still have to have at least one or two scum among us. Right now my shakiest read is Seren, but in all honesty, I believe that's more likely to be inexperience than actual scum play. ]]

Unvote: Arctozolt

Top Bottom