• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

What was the most surprising part of your story?

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
@MikaelBrigman Well, that's a default stance personally...

More on topic. Though I nearly obsessively outline I wound up jumping the rails of my own plan in a long fic that I thought I was done with, the end result tabbed on a whole fifteen chapters, rehauled the ending, and wound up accidentally putting down the ground work of a sequel for something that I planned on being a standalone novel.

I didn't write myself into a corner, I wound up writing the corner down and realizing, well heck, I've got enough material for a sequel...

K_S

Unrepentent Giovanni and Rocket fan
Well, if you tipped your head in my cardinal direction during the night I published the final chapter you would have heard the "thud thump thump" of me head-desking as realization set in...

On a more serious note, it was a mix-match of "hmm I have a lot of unused notes here" and leaving the fic I exited with more questions than answers irritated the heck out of me and left me realizing that if I wanted to wrap it up I really needed to wrap it up.

Basically, I started the tale as a tale of two men, middle-aged and both reaching midlife crisis stage respectively, trying to get over their trauma and reconnect after some very different life choices that left them morally opposed on almost every subject that mattered but them still making their friendship (the only stable point in either of their lives) work.

The story ended with an international threat level 'mon getting triggered, put down/contained, and the focus swinging away from a slightly hostile and diverse cast to a very flawed world stage that had let things get to such a disaster point. Basically it went from two old men prepping for retirement to them having to band together, take stalk of their resources (two young trainers, a small hometown community, and a scratching of a syndicate), and realize it was them against the powers that be. Powers that sat on their hands while the apocalypse was kicking up in their own backyard, and it's looking more and more that their governments were either inept, corrupt, or selling out to a more powerful Region who was gunning to kick up international war.

Last edited:

DeliriousAbsol

*Crazy Absol Noises*
Pronouns
She/Her
Partners
  1. mawile
When I first wrote The End, I was taken quite off guard when my whimsicott character Mischief seemingly wrote himself out of the story for a while. It always surprises me when the characters take the reigns and react naturally to a situation. I was really inside his head at that point, and his natural reactions just flowed. The scene even made me actually cry. If I'd forced it to go the way I'd initially planned, then it would have felt very unnatural and OOC for both characters involved. I've done that before with older stories and yikes. This is one of the reasons I don't work with a solid mapped-out plan.

Then, in the re-write, Mischief did a similar thing and vanished from the main cast earlier than originally! It smoothed out a part of the story that seemed a bit jarring in the old write-up. Plus it gave him a much needed heroic moment.

In the original, his OP knock-out of Reshiram took me by surprise too. I was like 'Okay, I guess this works'. I can't even remember what I was going to do originally there.

He suits his name, I won't deny that...

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Veronica from Obsession was originally supposed to be a very "model society woman" sort. But then I had her offhandedly mention how if you had the Lunar Wing, you'd never have nightmares again.

The idea of Veronica as a bundle of nerves just barely keeping it together was born in that moment.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Merely a collector
Pronouns
Them
Partners
  1. shaymin
  2. dusknoir
Top Bottom