• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Non-Pokémon Tokyolk 1999 (Ducktales 2017, one-shot, Gyro Gearloose and Mark Beaks, pre-canon)

ShinyMachoke

Hitmonchan Defense Squad
Pronouns
He/they
*Btw, I added illustrations to Hashtag: Dunchdate and The Stars Look Different Tonight

A03

Summary
An AU where Gyro Gearloose and Mark Beaks meet as teenagers while Gyro was interning under Dr. Akita in Tokyolk. It is written as journal entries from Gyro's perspective. There is budding love but no full-on romance.

tokyolk.png

January 11, 1999

On the train this morning, I encountered a young man speaking English with an American accent. Against my better judgment, and perhaps because I’ve been feeling a bit lonely since my arrival in this country, I introduce myself to him. I didn’t give any details about my occupation or anything of the sort.

He proceeded to talk my ears off. But for whatever reason, I didn’t find him annoying. Maybe a bit excitable, but then, so can I be when brilliance hits. It was well into this one-sided conversation before I managed to learn his name; Mark Beaks.

Such a simple name. It was no wonder he found mine so strange! But he told me that he liked it, that it was attention-grabbing. It was not my intention when I chose the name for myself, but I did not tell him that. I can’t trust him with this side of me just yet. Some of us don’t blather about every facet of our lives, thank you very much!

Mark tells me why he’s in Japan. His mother is making her way in the fashion world, and is participating in a show here in Tokyolk, followed by an extended vacation stay. He says that he normally doesn’t wake up this early, but he is eager to head to a book store to purchase a manga he likes. I notice that his bag contains books on advanced programming and financial mathematics, which he neglected to remove before making this trip. They are college-level subjects, though Mark himself is 15, only a little younger than me. Of course, I had already graduated college last year, but it’s still nice to converse with a peer of similar intellect.

I reach my stop. I mean to forget this encounter the moment I step foot into Akita Labs, but Mark gives me his number. I barely manage to write down mine before I make a hasty exit. I enjoyed Mark’s company but he can be... overwhelming. I’m not even sure if I want to... “hang out” with him. Especially with my workload as an intern.

January 14, 1999

Mark calls and suggests that we... hang out... the next day. I tell him I tend to work late on Fridays. He tells me how ridiculous that is, and I inform him of the work culture here. He sounds genuinely disappointed. I tell him that I’ll see what I can do, not intending to fulfill this obligation.

Truth be told... my thoughts often turned to him these past few days. It’s mere curiosity, I’m sure.

January 15, 1999

By some miracle, Dr. Akita left at a reasonable time today. He almost never leaves before 7 pm, and I am always obligated to remain at the lab until his departure.

I call Mark almost immediately. Again, this behavior of mine feels alien. I have never willingly contacted someone my age, or close to it, in this way. Perhaps I am just a bit lonely.

January 16, 1999

I returned home late last night.

Mark and I went out for boba tea, which I have never had before, despite living in Japan since August. In fact, there are many things here I just never had the time nor interest to look into. But Mark seemed enamored with everything, and possessed a plethora of knowledge on what was currently trending, from fashion to entertainment. I found myself interested in what he had to say.

We talked about various topics, some tech related. I’m... enthralled by how bright Mark is. He is dead-set on expanding his programming knowledge, and even figured out how to get internet connection in his hotel. For a brief moment, I consider how advantageous it would be to collaborate with him on a project. I quickly put that thought out of my mind. I have only just met him. And I have never felt the need to work with a partner.

Mark asked if we could hang out again today, but I told him that I needed an actual day off. He then asks if we could hang out on Sunday. I agree, with some reluctance. I like spending time with him, but I need a day to unwind.

I miss him already.

January 18, 1999

I need to be on the train to work in a few hours, but I can’t sleep.

Yesterday, Mark and I spent time in the hotel room he’s staying at. We read manga and ate snacks. Our conversations were not particularly cerebral, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless.

This feels so strange. Is this what it’s like to be a typical teenager with a friend? At one time, Mark asked if I wanted to join him on the futon when a show he liked came on, but I was satisfied sitting on the chair. I didn't occur to me until later the implications of his question, not to mention us being alone in his hotel bedroom. I doubt that anything... amorous would have happened. I feel comfortable around Mark, but not in that way. I probably never will, with him or anybody else.

Besides, his mother was just on the other side of the wall.

Why am I even having these thoughts? God, this is surreal. I can’t wait to get to the lab and concentrate on something else.

January 22, 1999

Back on Sunday, Mark gave me his AIM alias. He seemed amused that I hadn’t used this program before. I inform him that chatting online is not a priority of mine. He said that he’d like to be my priority.

For whatever reason, my face felt hot, and I’m pretty sure the skin around his eyes turned pink.

Egads

We chatted every day this week. Most of it is from his end, since my free time is so limited and he tends to dominate conversations, but I’m fine with that. Every night at around 11 pm, he sends me a good night message, even on a day I didn’t reply back.

I’ve begun to send him a good morning message when I wake up at 5 am. He says I’m crazy to be up this early. This amuses me.

January 23, 1999

I went to see a kabuki show with Mark and his mother today. I found the performance fascinating, yet Mark appeared to lose interest, discreetly playing his gameboy after a time. I never noticed before how much he fidgets. Every time his mother chastised him, I swear I could feel the sharpness of her tone as if directed towards me. It reminded me of Dr. Akita.

Our time after that was more pleasant. Mark wanted to show me something and, for a brief moment, he took my hand. I can’t remember the last time I touched someone that wasn’t a handshake back in the states. I much prefer the Japanese tradition of bowing.

I wouldn’t mind holding his hand again.

January 26, 1999

Mark had not been on AIM since yesterday, and I seemed to have lost his phone number. To make matters worse, Dr. Akita noticed how distracted I’d been. I am relieved that I did not manage to shed any tears when he yelled at me. He said I should be more serious about being his intern, and privileged to work on this top secret project.

I am incredibly grateful to be Dr. Akita’s intern.

I hope Mark is okay.

January 27, 1999

Mark and his mother were visiting a temple outside of the city was all.

But I learned that they will be returning to the states on Sunday. I feel gutted. I knew this wouldn’t last, that he was only visiting here. We at least have AIM, but it doesn’t feel the same.

Thinking about it more, this might be for the best. Dr. Akita’s project has me working until nearly 9 pm most days, giving Mark and me less than an hour to converse in real time. I need to put as much energy into this project as I can, with minimal distractions. It will be a cutting-edge entrance into the new millennium, and an impressive start to my career.

January 31, 1999

Mark left today.

I was hoping that his flight would be delayed due to the snowfall the day before, but it would just prolong the inevitable.

We managed to hang out yesterday. We didn’t go anywhere because of the weather, and his mother mentioned not wanting to be tempted to buy anything that would add to their luggage load.

Mark was so quiet. Not hearing his endless chatter felt bizarre. We laid on the futon and watched the snow.

Nothing intimate happened. At least, I don’t think it did. We didn’t... kiss. But we... cuddled? It felt nice.

Never mind, I don’t want to talk about this.

February 5, 1999

This will be my first weekend since meeting Mark that I won’t see him at all. I was so busy during the work week that I was able to keep him out of my thoughts, for the most part. Upon checking AIM last night, I saw that he had left a good night and morning message every day.

We got to chat for a brief time. We miss each other terribly. I resolve to send a small message to him every day now too, no matter how exhausted I feel at the end of the day, to show that I have not forgotten him,.

February 14, 1999

I’m glad Valentine’s Day isn’t a major holiday in Japan.

I wasn’t even aware of the date until I checked AIM and saw that Mark had sent me an animated gif of a Valentine card. It was silly, but I greatly appreciated the gesture.

We still say our good nights and good mornings on AIM. Due to the time difference, I sometimes chat with him a bit in the morning before I leave for work, if he doesn’t have classes.

He will be 16 next month. I plan to fully translate the newest issue of his favorite manga and send it to him, along with some candy. I don’t have much money, but it’s the least I can do.

February 16, 1999

I never intended to ever discuss Dr. Akita’s secret project in this journal, but... well, it’s no longer his project. At least, it doesn’t feel like it is. I have done the majority of the work, but even then it doesn’t feel like work. I enjoy what I have been doing, and I am beyond excited by its progress. I have already started a separate journal going into more detail about the project.

Today we had discussed the chassis, the final step. I suggested that it should resemble a living person as much as possible, with artificial skin and hair and such. Dr. Akita agreed... begrudgingly? I assumed he would want it to resemble a dog like himself, but he insisted that it be an avian, due to not wanting to waste resources on crafting external ears. He very pointedly discouraged me from making it resemble a chicken like myself. I would never do something so self-centered.

My thoughts turned to Mark. I suggested a grey parrot. Dr. Akita was dismissive, but not against the idea, as long as it was completed before the end of this month. That was all the permission I needed. I can definitely accomplish this.

I don’t go online much these days, and sometimes even forget to check AIM. Mark knows I’m extremely busy, but otherwise knows nothing of this project. As much as I love care for him, I can’t risk his knowledge of it. When this project is ready for the world to see, he will know that he is always in my thoughts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom