• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Thoughts for a Bismarck-esque character?

Yiguandoa

Youngster
Pronouns
Him/his
I’ve had this idea brewing in my mind for sometime and I was wondering what you guys had to say about it.

Just to be clear, I’m not writing an entire fic and world that has this specific character as an MC. This is a character that I want other characters to talk about and mention in passing, like an actual historical figure.

So most of you probably know that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are all based off real places in Japan. Considering this, an Idea came up in my head: ‘What if those 4 regions were united?’.

Now in real life, Japan in the Sengoku era was united by Oda Nobunaga, a fascinating figure and I recommend you read up on him, but politically speaking he was relatively moderate politically speaking. Whilst he did implement some liberal reforms, he was still ultimately conservative. For this character (Who I’ll be calling Lance from now on, no actual relation to champion/elite 4 Lance) I want him to take the place of Nobunaga and be far more ‘radical’ in his beliefs. Think of Ataturk for reference. His views were inspired by the American and French Revolutions, among a myriad of other events.

Political views:

•Lance wants to abolish fuedalism in Japan and get rid of Daimyos (feudal lords) to build an egalitarian and a sort of bastion of democracy in East Asia.

•He wants to centralize power around the very major cities such as Tokyo, Kyoto and the like.

•He builds a proper professional army and wants to empower it so no one gets any funny ideas about rebelling.

•He wants to empower the Emperor (not the shogun) to have a sort balance of power between him and the central government so that he can act as a figure for stability and not be a powerless figurehead. To be clear here, he wants to implement a semi-constitutional monarchy.

•He’s very progressive when it comes to civil rights and believes everyone is equal regardless of race, gender, religion or skin tone

•He’s very anti-colonialist, and despises the European powers for their imperialism. He even successfully defends Japan from having to cede over treaty ports to the French.

•Foreign policy wise he admires the United States for their political structure (still hates the slavery part) and attempts to build friendly relations with them, seeking an outright alliance.

•When it comes to pokemon, he’s very indifferent to them. He believes that as long as they don’t get in his way, he won’t get in theirs. Although he does allow for pokemon to integrate into society and give them some form of special protection as long as they benefit and work for the state. I want this to act as the sort of base for full complete Pokemon rights in the future in later fics.

Religious views:

In this world I want to build, even though legendaries and mythical pokemon do exist, religions such as Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc do still exist. A legendary’s power and lifeforce, so to speak, depend on how many people believe in them. The fewer and fewer people believe in them, the more abstract they become until they outright cease to exist.

Lance himself is a catholic Christian, however he still believes in a secular state where people can believe in any religion they want. He also despises legendary and mythical pokemon, equating them to greek gods in terms of hubris and general asshole-ness, and he desires for them to be completely eradicated. He attempts to burn down shrines, forcefully take away offerings, and even one time outright reject one of the Legendaries as his god to the face. Whilst this views and methods are intentionally very extreme, there’s some merit behind it.

Legendaries in this world often intervene in human affairs, for the better and for the worse. They often clash with eachother for either legitimately good reasons or something incredibly petty. They view themselves as above living beings, and therefore above consequences. They’re also viewed as ‘lazy’, because of the fact bless and send certain people to do their bidding instead of resolving the issue outright.

Unifying Japan:

Now here’s when things get interesting. I want this to play into the larger theme of ‘technology making Pokemon obsolete’. In this specific case, Lance doesn’t unify Japan with the help of Pokemon, Legendaries, or else. He unifies Japan with modern technology (for the time) and military ingenuity, I’m talking like guns, cannons, and pincer offensives. The reason why he doesn’t use Pokemon is because he believes them to be far too inconvenient.

He reasons that Pokemon take way too long to be properly useful in a battlefield, are incredibly costly to raise up and trainer, and the risk of them dying far outweighs the impact they can give. Keep in mind this is a world where Pokeballs haven’t been invented it, so Pokemon have to be tamed/befriended to be used in battle, which Lance believes adds to the cost.

The reason why I’m saying this is because I want this theme to play a part in an N fanfic taking place further in the future I’m currently in the process of writing for. So any ideas and suggestions here are very much appreciated!

Failures:

Now when I say ‘failures’ here, I mean Lance’s failures as a leader, and not as a person. You don’t see people often talk about say FDR as a person and his flaws, and more about the policies and legislation he passed. I’m trying to do the same thing here. Besides, it wouldn’t make sense to build Lance up as a proper character when he’d going to be dead for several decades/centuries in the fics I’ll include him in.

(Btw this all takes place after his death, which occurs due to a fever)

•Due to him empowering the military and failing to properly put checks and balances against them, they essentially take over the country. This gives rise to Japan’s militarism and nationalism far earlier than in our timeline. Athough they still maintain the republican system, they have heavy influence in Japan’s politics. To be clear here, this nationalism is far more moderate than RL’s Japan’s nationalism, though it is still very right wing.

•The emperor is also in cahoots with military, and he wishes to build a colonial empire for himself.

•Although Lance makes Japan secular and allows religious freedom, this leads to religious tensions and violence. Now I know this is a very controversial topic so I don’t want to dig too deep into it, though I do want to handle it properly.

•Although he does give some form of rights to pokemon, this acts as a sort of status quo and makes future changes to this system very difficult.

•Diplomatic relations between Japan and the USA quickly break down, not to the point of hostility but to the point of indifference.

I want see what you guys think of all this. Criticisms and suggestions are very welcome, though I’m still a relative newbie so don’t go too hard on me 😅.

Negrek

Play the Rain
Staff
Sounds like an interesting idea! There's a lot going on here, but I think the themes you're touching on in terms of pokémon vs technology and human religion vs legendaries are intriguing. There's definitely plenty to play around with there. I don't know that I have much to say about specific elements of your characterization of Lance here; I think if you want to go with this particular vision of him as a character, it could make for a fun and interesting background element! It's always nice to get everything laid out like this so you know the "truth" about Lance, but as we all know, how people reference him in the future is going to be heavily dependent on their own biases, based on incomplete information, or even flat-out inaccurate, so his depiction as a historical figure in your story doesn't even need to be particularly coherent to work well. What you have here should be a great base!

The question for me is much more how you plan to use some of these elements in your future stories. What does Lance mean to the characters in the story? How has his influence impacted them and the world they live in, directly or indirectly? I think those questions are going to be important to how well this character works for your stories.

I will admit that I missed your line about this person being no relation of Dragon Master Lance initially, which made things a bit confusing. Since you're not going to be able to insert a line like that into your actual story, I do think it's worth considering coming up with a name for him that isn't related to a canon character, because readers are definitely going to be confused otherwise.

Top Bottom