• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon The Tales of the Jeweled Champions (and Friends)

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
@Kandykorn

(rated E10+ for fantasy violence and frightening images)

Prologue: A Note from Brock

Hello there, fan of the Jeweled Champions (and Friends)! What you are now reading is an account of one year's worth of gaming sessions, sourced from the adventure log I keep at the table, video logs from our filmed sessions, and session write-ups made by dedicated fans.

Who are the Jeweled Champions, you ask? They are Ash, Misty's, and Serena's characters (Aldaron the Red, a battlemage wizard; Dame Meri of Halidor, a Blue Dragon magic knight, and Christine Belmont, a light runeblade, respectively). They are the regular players at the table, and always play these characters to retain some kind of consistency. When it's just me and the three of them, we call the show "The Jeweled Champions". But if anyone else is with us, then "and Friends" is added on--hence the name "The Jeweled Champions (and Friends)".

Usually, we get together at Ash's house for these sessions. The adventures are mainly episodic, but we're not opposed to running a campaign, either at the house, in the enclave, or even live onstage, depending on the nature of the campaign.

With a few exceptions, I'm mainly running ready made adventures. But not every book is perfect--if what happens in an adventure book doesn't sit well with me or the group, I have several options:

A. Rewrite the story to the group's liking on the fly (what typically happens)
B. Take bits and pieces from the original campaign and put them together into a coherent story,
C. Make up a new story entirely from aspects of the original. (This is what happened when we attempted to run "The Rescue of the Storm Giant King" last year--everyone loved the giant keeps so much, that I decided to make them their own campaign, and threw out the rest of the book entirely).

I'm sensitive to how the players are feeling--if something's too boring, complex, or scary for the group, we cut our losses and play something else. Our goal with the game is a heroic romp full of dastardly bad guys, huge worlds bursting at the seams with lore, and high adventure, and usually we manage to accomplish that. I draw the line at overly dark adventures and adventures that involve bug monsters (I apologized to Misty profusely after that session--now I check for bug monsters when doing my pre-game readthroughs).

As for what you'll see in this yearly chronicle?

--our annual playing of "Journey of the Rainbow Priestess" (an attempt at a "lighter" pilgrimage story that grew into an epic world spanning quest. There's a reason audiences keep asking for it again and again.
--My salvaged run of the giant keeps, which I like to call "The Treasure of the Giant Lords" (since the players are going after magical jewels)
--Our winter run of the campaign "The Chill of the Frost Sage"
--and lots of one shots and mini campaigns!

I hope you enjoy reading about these sessions as much as we enjoyed playing them. I'm excited to see what next year will bring for our sessions.

So pull up a chair, relax, and enjoy this detailed look into the life of "The Jeweled Champions (and Friends)."

Adventure on!
Brock

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Quickie Session 1: Into the Mountain

"The path climbs up one last steep switchback toward a bare shoulder of rock." Brock reads over some mountain ambiance. "The hillside rises steeply on your right and drops away precipitously on your left. Debris and trash lie scattered over the last hundred yards or so-discarded water skins, bits of charred bone, and splintered casks or kegs. Up ahead, the path opens onto a wide ledge and then doubles back sharply into the mountainside."

Brock next adds the images of two armored orcs in the scene. "Two orcs in hide armor stand watch on the ledge. They appear inattentive and bored."

He next addresses the group. "Do you guys try to engage, or try to sneak inside the mountain?"

"How risky is it to engage?" Roy asks.

"Well...we'll just say that the orcs are well prepared for anyone that tries to force their way in." Brock replies. "If you REALLY want to engage, you can try, but it may end up being harder than you thought."

"Okay...too risky to fight." Roy sighs.

"Can we try cloaking ourselves or trying to put the guards to sleep?" Misty suggests.

"Inflicting a status effect carries the same risk as fighting directly." Brock explains. "There is a chance the spell may fail, and you'd be stuck in the same predicament as you would be if you tried to engage directly."

"Not risking that roll, then." Misty sighs.

"I have Cloak, and Dawn has the Vanish spell...so we could turn ourselves invisible and try sneaking in that way." Ash suggests.

"Unlike Cloak, Vanish doesn't have the risk of dispelling." Dawn agrees. "It dispels when I want to dispel it."

"So you're gonna try sneaking in?" Brock asks the group.

Dawn nods. "Coriel quietly whispers the incantation to Vanish so as not to alert the two guards."

Brock smiles as he adds an invisible status icon beside the group's character names. "Okay...you guys are now invisible--the spell will only break when Dawn decides to dispel it. No enemy can see you or hear you in this state, since orcs don't have Sense Magic."

He moves the party towards a massive entrance in the rock. "Shallow steps lead up through a steep fissure to the south and turn east into the mountainside. Here, a broad entryway has been carved out of the stone. Marble steps cracked with age and veined with green moss lead up to a strong double door of carved stone, eight feet wide and almost ten feet tall. Arrow slits high on the north and south walls command this area."

"I'm kinda glad we're invisible right now..." Ash shudders at the thought of the party being target practice for orc archers.

"Come on! Let's get this door open while the baddies can't see us!" Roy suggests.

Brock can't help but smile as the group makes a show out of pushing open an imagined huge door...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Main Session Adventure 1: The Secret of the Dwarven Mines

Brock cues some festive ambiance of a town market. "It’s market day in the town of Arcanfield near the border of the Greenwood. The townsfolk go about their daily routines. The market square is packed, and a merchant caravan has set up shop for the day. Despite this, there is an air of unease."

He explains "Recently, the outlying farms have had issues with livestock going missing. It’s caused an untimely hardship for Arcanfield and its people, so much so that the mayor offered a reward for anyone who can figure out what is going on."

He tells the group "You guys can either ask around the marketplace for info, or we can go directly to two possible investigation sites. So, what would you guys like to do?"

The group--now with two new regulars--huddles to debate their options. "We will ask around the marketplace before we investigate." Serena reports.

"All right--who wants to listen for a rumor first?" Brock asks.

"Arthien listens for any rumors." May reports.

Brock grins at a favorable roll. "One of the local farmers tells you that one of his Wooloos disappeared a few nights ago--but no one in town is to blame."

"That IS weird..." Ash notes.

"Coriel asks the town's priestess what she knows." Dawn reports.

"You learn that the priestess came across some mushrooms while foraging for a rare herb that grows out near the mountains." Brock explains. "Mushrooms themselves aren’t unusual in the area, but the ones she found normally only grow deep underground. It looked as if someone dropped them while they were passing through the area."

"Alea keeps an ear open for rumors while performing in the town square." Liko reports, complete with a gentle tambourine shake for effect.

Even Brock smiles as he makes Liko's roll. "As your audience applauds your dance, you overhear part of a conversation with the chief of the merchant caravan. His caravan was robbed a few nights ago while camped in the mountain pass between the High Lands and the Greenwood. The thieves managed to make off with a couple of Lechonks he was transporting for sale. He’s not sure how they got away carrying them. It’s almost as if they just vanished into thin air."

He addresses the group. "You have the option to investigate the farm or the merchant caravan--this will affect how the adventure plays out."

The group huddles again. "We will investigate the caravan." Serena reports.

"All right..." Brock fades out the market ambiance, then switches to the caravan's location. "You discover a band of bandits here--this is your chance to bring them to justice!"

With that, he cues the battle music, but turns it down to explain to Liko and Roy what is happening. "When a battle begins, the party rallies to where the battle is taking place. Usually, neither side starts with an advantage, so you guys move first. That said, you can catch bad guys off guard--meaning you guys move twice to start the battle. However, bad guys can ambush you, so they move first if this happens. Frozen and petrified foes count as fallen."

"Let's do this!" Roy grins as Brock turns up the battle music.

"Coriel casts Holy Protection on everyone." Dawn reports before calling in character "Precious light, be our armor to protect us!"

"Okay...you guys are protected from physical damage for this battle--meaning enemy fists and weapons will only do half of what they typically do." Brock explains.

"Arthien uses the Song of the Wind to speed everyone up." May reports before singing in character Karuto, iichiida shou...

"One effect of the Song of the Wind--and by extension Dance of the Wind--is to speed allies up so their turn comes around quicker." Brock explains. "Haste does stack, so May and Liko's power together would mean you guys would be going VERY fast!"

"Aldaron uses Ice Arrow!" Ash reports before finding his preferred red d20...

---------

"A long winding stone staircase descends into the mountainside." Brock reads over some mountain cave ambiance. "At the end, there is a dimly lit room containing numerous racks of antique weapons and armor."

"Is there any of it we can use?" Misty asks.

"Nope--these are all dwarven weapons." Brock sighs. "Since you guys can't use any of this, we'll move on."

He reads the setup for the next encounter. "These connected rooms are lit by two fireplaces. Comfortable chairs sit in front of them. Numerous doors lead off to smaller rooms."

He next projects a number of duergar into the scene. "This is where the duergar raiders make their hideout. Most of the party is asleep, but two are standing guard--do you try to engage, or sneak past them?"

"We're gonna try and sneak past them--I don't like the odds of fighting that many duergar." Dawn replies.

Brock nods as he rolls a Stealth check. "You manage to sneak past the guards--the duergar never knew you guys were there."

Relieved sighs fill the room as Brock adds liquid noise to the cave mix. "Ahead, a filthy green, brackish liquid pools on the floor outside two doors. The stench is overwhelming."

"Can I invoke the X card?" Roy asks, a note of nervousness in his voice.

"Okay, we'll just move on--since we all know what happened in 'Star Legends'." Brock grins to some nervous giggles as the group remembers the classic sci fi movie. "We'll go ahead and give Misty the artifact that was here--a suit of Blue Diamond Mail."

"Thanks--needed the armor upgrade." Misty smiles as she erases her old armor on her character sheet and writes in the new suit of mail...

---------

"Heat washes over anyone who enters this room." Brock reads as he adds in some fire ambiance to the cave mix. "A large and imposing forge stands against the wall, its fires burning bright."

He explains to the group "There was a mageblade in progress before the forge was abandoned--a Celestial Sapphire Blade. You guys have the option to complete it, and give Misty a powerful Legendary weapon."

"I'd love a Legendary weapon!" Misty smiles.

"So let's build it!" Liko agrees.

"All right--finishing the Celestial Sapphire Blade takes four checks, and you get three tries at each one." Brock explains the rules of the challenge. "If the majority of you fail any one of the four checks three times, the Celestial Sapphire Blade is lost. You need at least 12 for any of the four checks to succeed."

Cheers go up at this. "Step one is to withstand the forge's fires while heating up the blade." Brock explains as he waits to hear how many attempts the group took to succeed the first check.

"Second try!" Ash reports.

"First try!" Liko smiles at the 13 on her dice.

"Just one reroll!" Roy beams at a 13 on his dice.

"Just barely got it on the first try." Misty smiles.

"One try!" Serena reports.

"Finally got it on my third attempt." May heaves a relieved sigh.

"First try!" Dawn smiles, proud of the 19 on her dice.

"Okay...you've successfully completed step 1!" Brock smiles. "Step 2 is to hammer out the blade's final shape..."

---------

Brock cues some ominous music over the bubbling ambiance of a lava filled cave. "A powerful heat emanates from this room. A large pile of gold sits surrounded by the carcasses of half-eaten Pokemon. The stone platform that makes up the majority of this room is surrounded on three sides by bubbling magma."

He next projects a young red dragon in the scene. "The duergar's pet dragon, a young red dragon, sleeps here. Since it has never really had to fight before, there is a chance--if your Luck stat is high enough--you may be able to convince it to leave the cave and seek food elsewhere."

"How hard is a young dragon compared to your standard adult dragon?" Liko wonders.

"A young dragon is not as hard as your standard adult dragon, but they still present a good challenge at your level." Brock explains. "Regardless if you defeat it in battle, or convince it to leave, you'll all get some nice weapons, armor, and treasure. So, will you attempt to battle? Or will you convince it to leave this cave?"

The group huddles to discuss their options before May tells Brock. "I'm going to try and convince the young dragon to leave."

In character, she tells Brock. "Forgive my intrusion, Sir Dragon, but no food remains here. You'll have to seek out food elsewhere." She lets that hang as her orange d20 and Brock's green d20 clatter to the table.

Brock smiles when he sees what May rolled. "The young dragon wakes up with a yawn, then flies towards a large hole in the ceiling. Before long, he is just a tiny speck above the horizon. The townsfolk here can rest easy now that the duergar and the dragon are gone."

Cheers erupt in the room when the others see that May rolled a natural 20, plus her Luck modifier. "Wow! A nat 20!" Roy gasps.

"This is what I like about Brock's dungeon mastering--he won't tell you what number you rolled, but how he describes what happens is a clue to how you did." Ash explains as he snaps a picture of May's dice displaying a 20 with his PokeNav...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Quickie Session 2: Entering the Sanctum

"The entrance to Alagorn’s Sanctum is protected by two huge double doors emblazoned with the symbol of ivy wrapped around a staff." Brock reads to the group over some underground dungeon ambiance. "The doors were unlocked by thieves long ago, but they are still trapped, which prevents many unwanted trespassers from gaining entry."

He winces at the rest of the adventure's script. "In lieu of what the book says to do, you only have to disarm the trap once, and it will stay disarmed. The key the book says to use, I'll just repurpose into your standard issue magical key that can unlock anything."

"So, how were we 'supposed' to disarm the trap?" Liko asks.

"Basically, the trap can reset itself, and you would've needed to find a golden key to temporary disarm it, giving you a time limit of about 1 to 4 hours in game time to get in, get the pearl, and go." Brock explains. "But I'm sure you'd like to explore this place rather than rush through, right?"

Cheers go up in reply. "So your standard thieves' tools or a Disarm Trap spell will permanently disarm it--no time limits here!" Brock smiles.

"Coriel uses Disarm Trap." Dawn reports.

Brock smiles as he rolls Dawn's result. "You got it--you can re-enter or exit the dungeon safely, as well as warp into or out of it."

He then sets up the next scene. "The doors to the dungeon open inward, pushing years of dust and cobwebs into the air. The strong smell of rot and mildew assaults your senses. It is quite dark inside, but enough light trickles in to reveal an old suit of armor positioned squarely in the center of the room. The walls of the dungeon are constructed of large, fairly uniform stones. The floor is flagstone which is loosely fitted, the stones are cracked and only slightly level. A set of double doors are located on the south wall behind the suit of armor."

The group gasps as Brock animates the suit of armor with eerie glowing eyes. "The suit of armor is actually a skeleton captain! You may be able to pass without a fight if you tell him the name of the lord of this place...he looks down on you, silently awaiting your answer."

"We come on behalf of Lord Tanis Alagorn”. May reports.

The group heaves a relieved sigh as Brock reports "The skeleton captain nods in approval, and allows you to pass through to the room ahead."

"How hard would the skeleton captain have been to fight if we had just guessed a random name, or our own name?" Ash wonders.

"He would've been fairly challenging at your level, but not impossible if you knew what you were doing." Brock explains. "That, and Dawn could've banished him for an easy win if it came to that." He lets that hang as he moves the tokens representing the party into the next room...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Quickie Session 3: A Battle in the Jungle

Exciting battle music fills the gaming room as the group's latest adventure kicks off with a battle. "Take out the two berserkers first!" Roy suggests to the group before declaring his attack. "Rokuto uses Thunderfist!"

"Your fist just barely impacts the first berserker just enough to knock him backwards." Brock reports. "He's not paralyzed, but you have bought yourselves a little time for a stronger attack."

Everyone heaves a sigh of relief when they see Roy managed to roll exactly a 10. "Christine uses Flamme Rouge to trap both berserkers."

"Drawing your blade around the berserkers in a wide circle, it soon bursts into a wall of holy fire." Brock reports. "As it is holy fire, it doesn't harm any of the jungle foliage."

"Good thing Flamme Rouge doesn't need a check." Ash smiles.

"That, and it does damage over time if the targets attempt to escape." Serena agrees.

"Meri uses Ice Blade!" Misty reports over the jungle themed battle music.

Brock winces at the dice roller. "Your beam of ice ricochets off a tree, but the good news is, it freezes some of the jungle warriors solid--including your would be attacker!"

"That's better than flat out missing..." Misty mutters as she takes a picture of the 3 on her blue attack dice.

"Arthien sings the Song of Shields..." May reports before singing Leishu shun ji, lei si...

"
Okay, physical damage is halved for this battle..." Brock reports as he adds a protect icon to the group's status. "It can stack, if Dawn chooses to cast a Protect spell."

"Alea uses the Dance of Ice." Liko reports.

"The jungle warriors and the trapped berserkers gasp in horror as you perform an elegant dance, creating something they have never seen before--snow." Brock smiles. "As this is divine snow, it won't melt in the hot jungle sun. As they try to flee, the whorl of ice and snow you create manages to freeze them solid--they're not going anywhere for a long while."

The group congratulates Liko as Brock plays the victory music before revealing that Liko managed to roll a 20. "Well done on the nat 20, by the way." Brock is just as pleased at Liko's lucky roll.

"When someone gets a nat 20, we celebrate--because rolling a 20 isn't easy." Ash explains as Liko proudly takes a picture of her teal battle dice showing a 20. She next captions it "I did it--I did the impossible!" before posting the picture to Pokebook...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Quickie Session 4: The Motherlode of Magic

..."Beyond the doorway lies a 15 foot wide by 25 foot long room with vaulted ceilings." Brock reads over some underground ambience. "The sides of the room are lined with bookcases, and a large armoire stands at the far end of the room. Two small tables stand in the center of the room."

He winces when he sees what the adventure book says to do next. "Rather than subjecting you to a huge trap, I'm going to give you a chance to disarm this huge trap, without making you fight mimics. The tables are perfectly ordinary tables--and the mimics in here are your typical mimics--a treasure chest that looks ever so slightly off from the real deal. There are some real chests in here, along with the two mimics."

"We are allowed to look at the spellbooks in here?" Ash wonders.

"Any magic user can look at the books, and learn any spell they don't already know." Brock explains. "If you do know a spell already, it gains a level. Physical users that need a one time magic use can find a bunch of spell scrolls and a veriety of magic runes in the armoire."

"What kinds of spells are in here?" Dawn asks.

"Of the books, you can choose from Icy Fog, Rainbow Spray, Restful Slumber, Magic Missile, Thunder Wave, and Phoenix Shot." Brock explains. "You can pick those, or some other spells and runes in the armoire."

"What does Rainbow Spray do?" Liko asks.

"It basically is a low level every elemental spell that sprays all targets with colorful water." Brock explains. "Use it enough, and it evolves to Rainbow Shower, then Rainbow Wave."

"What does Phoenix Shot do if you don't have a magebow?" Roy wonders.

"Then you can just fire the shot from your hands--or in a fighter's case, a weaker version of the Phoenix Fist your Fire Fist ultimately becomes." Brock explains. "At your current level, it can give you a taste of what kind of power you can expect when Fire Fist ultimately evolves to Phoenix Fist!"

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Legends of Ransei Campaign: The Phoenix and the Dragon (part 1)

Cheers and excited emojis fill the chat as Brock performs an excerpt of "The Scent of Flowers Everywhere", signaling that a Legends of Ransei adventure is beginning--a change of pace from the usual Chambers and Charizards and occasional Wayfarer games that typically feature on the group's streams.

When the song ends, he sets the scene. "You gather at the Kirin House to eat, drink, and relax after a long day traveling. The service here is said to be impeccable and the drinks--of both the hard and soft varieties-- are reputed to be of the finest quality anywhere in the kingdom of Greenleaf. Both claims appear true, and the quality of the meal and the entertainment indicates a piece of heaven has found its way here."

"Mms" fill the chat at this. "As your plates are cleared from dinner, a man in the majestic robes of a Moltres mystic approaches your table." Brock continues. "He strides back and forth among you, sizing up your ability and prowess much like a general reviews his troops. Finally he stands before you and tells you the following..."

"Good evening, minna-san." he begins in a gentle, but regal male voice. "I am called Koda Hayate, of the Koda family in the land of Ransei. I have asked for you all to be present today to aid in an undertaking that will bring great knowledge to the world, and honor to you, your paths, your orders, and your families."

"What is it you have called us to do, Hayate-dono?" Serena asks in character.

"A year ago, my clan dealt with a disturbance on one of our holdings, Akari Island." Brock explains as Hayate. "Our settlements there were troubled by malicious apparitions, which in turn were controlled by a being known only as the Dead Spirit King. The spirits were eventually routed, and the island secured. In the wake of these developments, my grandson, Eiji..."

He interjects as himself "At this point, a young man with similar features to Hayate wearing the dull red robes of an apprentice mystic steps forward, where you guys can see him."

He resumes the speech in character as Hayate. "...began researching the origin of this Dead Spirit King. In his studies, he discovered that this being was nothing less than the corrupt, immortal form of a great barbarian priest who followed the cult of the Black Suicune. Through my grandson's wisdom, we have learned much of this cult."

As himself, Brock interjects "With that, Hayate gently encourages Eiji to share the results of his research with you."

In character as a younger version of Hayate, Brock begins "The cult of the Black Suicune was once a powerful faith in the south, long before that region had even been first conquered by the early kings of Ransei. You recall from your historical studies that the region was handily crushed by the forces of King Moritame. Its land was settled and added to what is now Ransei, creating the kingdoms of Aurora, Ignis, Greenleaf, and Fontaine. The final battle was held at the site of the temple of the Black Suicune, at the headwaters of the mighty Korikawa river, where the city of Shimagata stands today. The cult was shattered, but pieces survived in various ways. Parts of the south recognize Suicune as a power of law and order. There is a secret society founded on the Black Suicune that now seems to be quite popular in that area. What's more, the last priest of the original cult apparently reestablished himself on Akari Island."

"And then?" Misty asks in character.

"This shaman, now destroyed after exceeding all but the most venerable dragons image, was said to have sailed down the Korikawa River after the destruction of the great temple." Brock replies as Eiji. "My research has found that while the destruction of the temple is well-recorded, and the departure of a lone boat soon afterward bearing the shaman and his followers is also noted in records of the time, there is no record of their passing anywhere along the length of that river."

"How very strange, Eiji-dono..." Liko muses in character.

"This is what I don't understand..." Brock explains as Eiji. "The Korikawa is more than a thousand miles from source to mouth, yet the recorded time from his departure from the temple to his arrival at the sea is too short to make the full trip by normal means."

"Do you have any theories on how they could pull off such a task?" Ash asks in character, holding his bansi close.

"I believe that there may be a link between the source and the mouth of the river that is undetermined and unknown to the writers of the period, or to the present republic of Ransei." Brock explains as Eiji. "Were someone to discover such a passage, the reward would be great, both from the excitement of discovery, and to enhance trade with the southern kingdoms."

As Hayate again, Brock continues "The adventure I propose to you is this: You will accompany my grandson to the city of Hayano, at the mouth of the Korikawa River, and act as his aides and body-guards. The way there is long, and plagued by rogues and wild Pokemon. In return, we of house Koda stand ready to provide whatever you may need for the trip, and a reward of 5,000 kin for your aid upon Eiji's safe arrival. I will increase the reward ten fold if you can find the method by which the Black Suicune shaman made his way downriver in such record time. I ask as one who has respect for your abilities, and as a grandfather seeking to protect his grandson. Will you grant me your services?"

"As surely as Arceus rules the heavens, we will do everything we can to keep Eiji safe and help complete his research." Dawn vows in character. The others nod in agreement.

"Okay..." Brock muses as himself. "You have the opportunity to ask Eiji some questions--elaborate on his research, what he knows about this area, what he knows about the Hayano area, or just rumors in general."

The group huddles to debate ideas for questions as Brock plays an interlude on his vina...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Legends of Ransei Campaign: The Phoenix and the Dragon (part 2)

Smile and laughter emojis fill the chat as Brock decides to play an excerpt of the title theme of "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" on the vina to signal a scene change to the wharf. "The next day, you learn Hayate has arranged passage for you and Eiji aboard the good ship Kachikuza." he explains. "The Kachikuza--which means 'victory' in Ranseian--is a fine vessel, more than enough for your needs. She is the largest ship at the docks, moored in the deepest water at the end of the longest pier. Other ships, both native and foreign, cluster along the side of the docks, discharging and boarding passengers and cargo. The clamor and shouting of sailors and foreign languages almost overwhelms you, but your attention is quickly drawn to a particular argument, not too far from where the Kachikuza is docked."

He adds in some ambiance of an argument to the waves and Wingull cries in the mix. "A lean, well-muscled man is having a loud debate with a huge newcomer. The argument is over which school, of the many hundreds of millions of schools, sects, paths, and orders of Ransei, is the very best. The well-muscled man is obviously a well-trained warrior, and from the support he gathers from those around him, he is from some local school. The big man, on the other hand, looks more like an innkeeper than a fighter. Built more like a sumo wrestler, his pudgy face is dominated by a thin, scraggly mustache. Beads dangle from the tips of said mustache in the southern style. His dress is overdone for the north, making him sweat profusely. The sweat is kept out of his eyes by a large bandana made of Centiskorch skin. At each side of his portly form he wears a curved, glittering sword. The big man has two smaller companions, similarly dressed and armed, backing up his position. The two continue to trade claims of their schools, as well as insults regarding those not of their following. A crowd of sailors, travelers, and merchants gathers as the claims and insults get more intense. It has gotten to the point where some members of the crowd are even taking bets on both sides."

He addresses the group. "So now you guys have a choice--do you defend either of the two sides, or do you just go on your way and board the Kachikuza?"

"Is there a benefit to defending the fighter or defeating the big guy?" Misty asks.

Brock checks the book. "If you defend the fighter, your bravery will inspire Eiji to want to learn a martial art appropriate for scholars. So if you really want to go ahead with that, Ash is your best option to do the fighting. Of course, there is also no penalty for just going on your way."

The group huddles for a moment to debate whether it would be worth their while for Ash to fight as Brock preps the big man's moveset...

---------

"Okay...decision time--does Ash want to defend the fighter's honor?" Brock asks the group.

"Yes--no one should be humiliated by anyone!" Ash vows, brandishing a well loved bansi like a sword.

Brock nods. "Eiji recognizes the moves the big man is using..."

"Are you sure you want to take that man on?" he asks as Eiji. "He is a member of the Dragon Claw School, and frighteningly powerful despite his large size."

"I'm sure, Eiji-sama." Ash vows as Takuya. "No one deserves to be humiliated by a bully, and certainly not a warrior!"

"About this time, a massive blow sends the fighter's nunchucks flying." Brock continues as himself. "As healers rush to tend to the badly beaten fighter, many wonder how he is still alive. The big man, meanwhile, issues a challenge to the crowd..."

"If this is the best the Running Jade school can offer," he bellows in character as the big man, "then I hereby declare that it has strayed from the true Path, and should no longer put forth its false teachings! If there is no one else that wishes to challenge my ability, I will proceed to its shrine and make it my own!"

"Then I will challenge you!" Ash shoots back as Takuya. "An attack on one school is an attack on all the martial world, and I intend to defend this fallen warrior's honor!"

Brock cues some Asian-esque battle music. "Now...this is a one on one battle, so Ash shouldn't get any help." he reminds the others.

He tells Ash "You're up against a Dragon Claw Hulk, whose primary style is the Illusory Dragon Fist of the Dragon Claw style. While he may seem a very powerful tank, this comes at the cost of speed, magical attack and magical defense."

Ash nods. "Takuya will use the Note of the Flame for this fight, as archery would seem too dangerous." He plays a heroic flourish along with the battle music to prove his point...

---------

The group congratulates Ash on winning against the Dragon Claw master before Brock's vina snaps the group to attention. "After Takuya's resounding victory over the big Dragon Claw master, you set sail to Hayano without further incident." Brock explains as the last note of the Earth God's Lyric from "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" fades away. "We have already stated that the Kachikuza is a fine vessel, and her captain and crew well cared for. The ship's navigator has determined that Hayano can be reached in about 24 to 30 days if conditions are good."

He next explains how the voyage will work. "For the most part, your voyage will be uneventful, but there is a story beat that has to happen before you come to Hayano--arrival on Phoenix Island, where you will earn a valuable ally, some skills in Moltres martial arts appropriate to your class, and some info on how to defeat the Dragon Claw school. Since Ash defeated the Dragon Claw master before, Eiji may also ask to learn some martial arts. You may also encounter both friendly and hostile wild Pokemon, and friendly and hostile ships on the way."

After setting up his random event generator, Brock tells the group about the captain. "The captain, a man from Fontaine named Haru, is a skilled leader and an expert sailor. He has crossed Ransei by water many a time, and knows much about the various islands on a route. The crew look up to him, as he treats them well, but he isn't afraid to lay down the law if a sailor misbehaves."

He next rolls the event for the first day of 30. "Gorebyss swim alongside the ship today--a sign of good luck for the voyage ahead!"

The group smiles as Brock rolls for Day 2. "The sun sparkles on the sea today--you have a good feeling about this trip."

He rolls for Day 3. "You spot a Primarina keeping a watchful eye on a gaggle of Popplios in the distance--she whistles a hello as you pass." He plays a sound effect of a Primarina's distinctive whistle-like cry for effect.

"Hello, Primarina-san!" Dawn calls back, as if the Primarina and Popplios are there.

Even Brock smiles as he makes the roll for Day 4. "One morning, Eiji approaches you while you are at the ship's rail, watching the endless expanse of the sea." he tells Ash. "The young scholar begins to speak, stops, then finally says..."

"I have been thinking long and hard about the Dragon Claw you bravely battled back on the docks. Would it be possible to teach me some martial arts appropriate for a scholar, in case we run into any danger on our journey?" he asks as Eiji.

"I can teach you archery skills, some swordplay, and chi channeling through an instrument...is that okay?" Ash offers.

"Eiji accepts your offer to train--you will continue to train Eiji until we stop at an island, stop to trade, or a hostile situation occurs." Brock explains.

Ash nods. "Takuya patiently teaches Eiji how to channel magic through a flute, how to use the flute like a sword, and some Brightflame School archery." He plays a heroic flourish on his bansi as Brock rolls the event for Day 5...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Legends of Ransei Campaign: The Phoenix and the Dragon (part 3)

After about five more favorable or uneventful rolls, Brock smiles when the event generator displays Phoenix Island for Day 10. "On the morning of the tenth day, the lookout spots a lush green island in the distance filled with beautiful red flowers. There's no mistaking it--this is the legendary Phoenix Island!"

The group cheers at this as Brock cues some jungle ambiance. "After weighing anchor in a secluded lagoon, you follow the path inland to a very large clearing. The entire clearing was apparently the scene of a recent battle; it is strewn with bodies of oni."

He explains to Liko and Roy "Oni is a catch-all term in the Ranseian language for any sort of monster, but it can also specifically refer to a monster similar to an ogre. Many places in Ransei refer to monsters in general as yokai, and oni as ogre-like monsters to avoid confusion."

Liko nods to show she understands. "Whoever slew all these oni must've been quite powerful..." she notes in character.

Brock next adds in the sound of a tikin playing into the jungle ambiance. "In the center of the clearing sits a beautiful young lady in flowing red, orange and gold robes, playing a beautiful melody on a tikin--the ancient three stringed Wakunese fiddle that also appears in Ransei. Hanging in a tree near the rock where the lady sits is a long red ribbon, not unlike what Arina wields. This ribbon, however, is inscribed with the symbol of a stylized Moltres rising from golden flames."

"Pretty!" Serena smiles as she admires the picture of the scene Brock has projected for the group to see.

"The lady does not seem to notice you at first. Her eyes are closed, as she is lost in her song." Brock continues.

He waits for his recorded tikin song to finish, then continues "Finally, she finishes her song, opens her eyes, and regards you with a smile and a nod."

In character as a young lady, he smiles "Welcome, visitors, to Phoenix Island. I am Hua Feng, keeper of the island. What brings you here to this sacred place?"

"Takuya tells Hua Feng about the journey so far, sparing no details and leaving nothing out." Ash reports.

Brock then drops a hint as to who Hua Feng really is. "What you guys may not know is that Hua Feng is Moltres in human form. Arceus has asked her to assist a band of worthy mortals in judging the Dragon Claw school once and for all, and put an end to their evil. Miko and Fire Clan ninjas may be able to sense she is Moltres, but won't see for sure until the final showdown. But for now, she will not reveal her true glory--to you guys, she is a gifted musician and odoriko."

"Did you really defeat all of these oni by yourself?" Roy gasps in character. "If the hokage of the Fire Clan heard of this, he would want an audience with you!"

"I have heard much of your clan, noble warrior of the shadows." Brock smiles as Hua Feng. "They have done much to bring the flame of justice and mercy to this land. But I did defeat all these oni myself. This island is sacred, and no yokai will ever set foot here without meeting the fury of the phoenix. If you wish, I can teach you all some skills from the Way of the Phoenix--it may prove helpful in your battles with the Dragon Claw."

Everyone jumps as Brock cues a roar sound effect in the jungle ambiance. "Suddenly, a pair of tremendous roars thunder from the far side of the clearing. A pair of oni, similar to the oni Hua Feng has already slain, emerge into the clearing."

He asks the group "Do you want to help Hua Feng battle these two intruders, or do you think she can handle herself?"

The group huddles for a moment, then Dawn reports. "We will let Hua Feng battle the oni herself, and only intervene if she needs help."

Brock nods before cuing the battle music. "The oni charge at Hua Feng, but she summons her ribbon to her with a snap. With a lightning-like move, she lashes the first oni, setting his shoulder ablaze. The creature bellows and staggers, but the other charges the brave odoriko!"

"Hi magiiro no jutsu! Kitsune's Holy Flame!" Roy declares an attack.

Brock rolls Roy's results. "You surround yourself with ten balls of holy fire, then send them flying at Hua Feng's assailant, engulfing both oni in flame!"

The group cheers and congratulates Roy on his quick thinking. "Thank you for helping me in my hour of need." Brock smiles as Hua Feng. "As a reward, I offer you the chance to learn the skills associated with the Way of Moltres. If you cannot, I understand."

The group huddles again, then Ash reports. "We accept your request, Hua Feng."

"Please, teach this band of humble adventurers your phoenix arts." Misty agrees and Brock starts a victorious interlude on the vina...

SparklingBlue

Pokémon Trainer
Pronouns
She/Her
Legends of Ransei Campaign: The Phoenix and the Dragon (part 4)

Brock adds some cave ambiance to the jungle mix. "After a day to rest and regain your bearings, Hua Feng leads you to a cave not far from the clearing. Sunlight streams in from a hole off to the right, but for the most part, the coolness of the cave is a welcome respite from the sweltering heat and humidity outside."

"This is the Cave of Awakening." he explains as Hua Feng. "The cornerstones of the way of Moltres are transformation, renewal, and inner peace. So please, take a moment to still your mind, and contemplate how to change yourself for the better--to shed the old, and build up the new that appears in its place."

As himself, he narrates "Once sure you guys are all in a circle around a rock; Hua Feng retrieves her tikin and its bow, and sits on the rock, so she can see you all as she performs."

He then cues another recorded tikin melody before taking his vina. "As Hua Feng begins performing a calm melody, time seems to stand still. A minute passes, then five, then fifteen, thirty, an hour. Before long, you're not sure how much time has passed--you are aware of the sun's movements outside and Hua Feng starting different tunes common to the tikin repertoire, but other than that, all is quiet, calm, serene. You and your companions are united as one entity."

With that, he plays along with the recorded tikin, symbolizing the meditation session. The group decides to close their eyes and savor the beautiful music, as if they are their characters meditating.

When the song ends, Brock rolls for how much Moltres knowledge the group obtained over an in game week. "The meditation sessions continue like this two times a week, once in the morning, and again in the evening. By the end of the week, you guys are looking forward to the twice daily meditation sessions in the cave--and you sense a small spark of courage awakening within you too."

He tells the group "You have mastered the main internal skill of Moltres martial arts--'Moltres Rising Anew'."

"What does that do?" Serena asks.

"It boosts your Resolve, and makes it much less likely you will fall from an instakill or a critical hit." Brock explains. "At high levels, it can revive you."

"Nice!" Ash smiles.

Brock turns down the cave ambiance to bring out the main jungle mix. "One morning, after your meditation, Hua Feng tells you guys to meet her at the outcroppings. You arrive to find Hua Feng already there, deep in meditation. After you have all assembled, she rises and walks to the nearest rock formation, where a Tsareena waits for her. The beautiful humanoid Pokemon almost seems to dance at it awaits its master's move. Hua Feng takes her ribbon and lashes at the Tsareena several times, but each time the fruit Pokemon dodges the blow in a burst of green flame--something highly unusual for a Grass type."

As Hua Feng, he reveals the move's name. "This is 'Moltres Dances in the Sky', a move that allows you to dodge quickly in a burst of holy flame. I want each of you to practice this move, and try to dodge my ribbon. You only have to dodge successfully one time for today."

He looks at the group. "We'll pick a volunteer to roll Dexterity--if you get the higher number then me, you've passed Hua Feng's test for today. If you don't, you have to try again until you pass the test."

"Right!" the group choruses.

Brock picks a character name from the randomizer. "Misty will attempt the test first..."

Top Bottom