• Welcome to Thousand Roads! You're welcome to view discussions or read our stories without registering, but you'll need an account to join in our events, interact with other members, or post one of your own fics. Why not become a member of our community? We'd love to have you!

Join now!

Pokémon Pokemon: Unforeseen Consequences

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him

Summary: After a massive portal opens, a security guard finds Pokemon roaming the Earth. Now faced with these strange and terrifying creatures, she must pick up the broken pieces of her old life while struggling with her denial of a world irrevocably changed.

This fic is fully complete on FFN.net. I will try to transfer and touch up any chapters posted here.

Chapter 1: Contact

Security Chief Michelle sighed as she collapsed onto the break-room couch of the Las Vegas Animal Control Center. She had the damned night shift, and all that kept her from drifting off was a large cup of coffee.

Half an hour of wandering the grounds led her to see absolutely nothing save for the last few commuters returning home from working overtime as she returned for a coffee break. That was until a large flash of green light lit up the night sky.

One of the guards had stopped to gawk. "What the hell?!" he asked, pointing at the sky. Michelle thought bitterly that this was the first damned time something interesting happened.

"Hey," she said. "I saw it too."

"Yeah? Thanks for that, Captain Obvious." While Michelle hadn't bothered to learn his name, he was the most abrasive person she'd ever met..

"Well, it's at least something inter-" she began, before more flashes lit up the night sky.

"This shit is like something out of a sci-fi movie!" He moved over to the window to get a better look. "Mate, we should call the police."

"If you want to do that, go right ahead. I'll help secure the area."

An hour later, she watched the two resident animal control officer, Todd and another woman, run out the door. The receding noises of the animal control van's engine pierced the night, leaving her alone.

Grimacing, she drained the cup and tossed it in the nearest trash can.

The animal control van sped through the streets until it reached its intended destination. Todd stepped out–

–and was greeted with an odd sight. The dog that they had been sent to help lay dead, beside what looked like a rabbit with brilliant blue eyes and wings instead of the usual stubby tail.

His partner came out with a tranquilizer gun and catch-net. She aimed it at the rabbit-like creature and fired. The missed shot caused it to turn around, eyes glowing. This caused her to trip and fall, convulsing.

Todd grimaced, and ran to get his tranq gun out, firing a shot into the creature's leg. It stumbled. Another shot hit it's undamaged leg, causing it to attempt to crawl away. By the time he reached it, its deep blue eyes stared at him in terror before closing. Todd picked up the catch-net that his partner - still out of commission - had dropped. Placing it in the standard animal cage, he threw a blanket over it as quickly as he could.

This wasn't the job for animal control, he thought bitterly. It was meant for the police. "I don't think you're meant to exist." he said to the creature. The truth was, it was unlike any animal he had ever seen. In fact, he'd go so far as to call it alien. Everything Todd had seen would make for one hell of a story. He couldn't wait to go home and share it with Fred. It wasn't like anyone else would believe him.

Shakily, he dialed 911, calling for an ambulance. Giving the street name, address and details of his partner's condition, he waited.

As the wailing of sirens drew nearer, Todd wondered what the police and paramedics were going to say. The paramedics moved in, and he stepped aside to let them do their work.

Todd left after his questioning. He had provided as much info as he could, and the events of what he thought had transpired.

After helping the police try to track down the creature's owner to no avail, he left. There possibly won't be too many call-outs this night, so at least they were home free.

The sight of the charred corpse was burned into his brain. For all the shock he felt, he was certain that their family would have an even harder time processing the news.

Luckily, the animal control center was only a stone's throw away. He moved the cage over to the holding area and gently placed it down, calling Michelle over to help.

Clean water and kibble was poured into bowls and set out in front of the cage. Now was the time to remove the blanket, open the cage, and check its behavior. They'd used new bowls too; just to be safe.

The blanket came off, and the latch was released out of sight. Todd and Michelle stepped out of the animal holding area to leave their newest resident to its own devices.

Victini poked its head out of the cage. It was in a large pen with two bowls set out in front of it holding some sort of kibble. The taste was entirely bland and dry, but its hunger meant it didn't even notice.

The last thing it remembered was sitting on a cushion in a locked room. A flash of light appeared, then it was on the streets. Then… Humans? They didn't smell like anyone it knew. Then whatever this place was.

Still, it was safe. The city and people it had found itself in were completely unfamiliar, with creatures that held no elemental powers.

The water in the metal bowl tasted a little like chemicals, with a slight bitter aftertaste. It was still refreshing though.

Victini looked to the small pet bed provided. Its winged tails had difficultly fitting, but eventually, it managed to sleep.

A small flock of otherworldly birds appeared in a forest, their flight uninterrupted by the change in setting. In the darkness, the birds from Earth paid them no heed.

Michelle turned on the TV, flipping to a news broadcast. The expected news came on, before switching to footage of the Event. The green light flashed once more on camera, with the anchorwoman urging viewers to await further instructions.

She sighed. Whatever had gone down, it was certainly not good.

Turning away, she watched the creature through the metal door's window. It had gone to sleep now, not noticing her presence. If it tried anything to the other animal control officers at the center, well, she would have it dead to rights. More like dead, but still there were tranq-guns for subduing things less violently.

When it woke up for a brief moment, she thought there was a glint of sapience in its eyes. But.. that could not be true. There was no intelligent life in the universe other than humanity, she figured. Making as little noise as possible, she left for the break room.

The day-shift workers would take care of it in the morning.

Welcome to the remastered first chapter This chapter changes the pacing and flow to start off with the event bringing Pokemon to Earth, and the first capture attempt of a Pokemon.

The capture scene is based on the prompt/comment reply of a Reddit post: "What if a Victini found its way into Las Vegas?"

At this point, no one knows much about the exact circumstances yet (it is a few hours or so afterwards, after all), though with time there will be more Pokemon arriving on Earth, some of them being more powerful.

Last edited:

Extension_Driver

Bug Catcher
Pronouns
he/him

Chapter 2: Introductions

Victini came to, hoping to see the tiny room it was confined to for an indeterminate length of time. Instead, it saw the bowls, filled with fresh water and food. Oh. So that was not a dream then.

It ate as it had done so before. Luckily, it didn't see the need to relieve itself.

At midday an odd-looking and unrecognizable human gave it new food and water. That was mostly it. The people here helped clean up after it each time it went to relieve itself on the back lawn under close supervision. Were they afraid of its escape? Clearly they thought it was important in some way.

It reached out to touch one of the men's foreheads gently, trying to see what he was thinking. It was strange,. His experiences were significantly different than anyone it had known.

Flashes of unrecognizable places. Thoughts; fear, uncertainty, excitement. The man backed away carefully and slowly, taking several deep breaths.

Todd's mind reeled with strange ideas and creatures. The creature's paw had touched his forehead - and well, all hell had broken loose. Flashes of no known existing landmark. He felt emotions that were clearly not his own; uncertainty, excitement, fear.

And above all, a voice.

"Who are you? Why am I here?"

His mind was a constant jumble and gibberish as he tried to respond. The voice didn't even sound human, like a child's fast babbling.

"You're that human who shot me. Why?" There was the voice again, accusing.

"I was following my orders."

The creature frowned. "Who gave you these orders? Are you - are you some criminal gang who steals Pokemon?"

"No!" That was alarming. "I am an animal control officer. Our orders were - and still are - to bring in dangerous creatures to stop them causing harm to humans." A thought struck him. "Where did-"

"I came from a place named Unova."

"Unova? There is no country or region with that name here."

"Then where am I?"

"You're on Earth. Specifically, the city of Las Vegas, one of the many cities in the state of Nevada," Todd said.

"You are Michelle. Is that correct?"

Michelle started. "Who the fuck are you?" She glanced around for Todd, but he was currently playing receptionist.

"Do you always greet strangers like this?"

"No! How did you even know my name?"

"Went through your head. It's quite easy to do, for someone as proficient at telepathy as me."

Her mind turned into a confused swirl. This sort of phenomena didn't exist. It definitely didn't. Maybe it was the stress of the job. "Just what are you?"

"I'm a Pokemon. You may call me Victini."

She paused, eyes widening. No. That... that was only a franchise. It definitely wasn't real.

"Just GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" She screwed her eyes shut and gritted her teeth, partly in shock and the pounding headache that followed.

The silence that followed seemed to last her whole lifetime. Todd peeked into the break room, concern al over his face.

"You were shouting. Everything OK?"

"That was fucking weird, man," she said at last. "I don't really know what's going on anymore."

"What do you mean?"

Michelle rubbed her eyes. "I'm hearing voices."

"Maybe you should go see a doctor. You work the night shift like me. Speaking of which, have you seen what we brought in?"

"Sure. Maybe that will take my mind off things..."

Michelle entered the small back room with Todd, empty save for the pen now containing a rather energetic Victini.

"i'll leave you to it," Todd replied. He walked out, leaving her alone.

"Look at me, Michelle."

She obeyed, head swiveling, still only half-believing what she saw.

"What-" she began.

"This is the only way we can understand each other. Get used to this; we'll be speaking to each other with this method from now on."

"I - yes." Her eyes flicked around for a moment. "Holy hell, this is insane..."

"What was that?"

"Nothing derogatory."

"Play it straight with me next time; else I'll have to probe your mind."

Her eyes narrowed slightly.

"I'm going to lie down take a few deep breaths, and pretend this whole ordeal never happened," she said to Victini. Through the window, she could see Todd sitting at the receptionist desk, nose in a magazine. Neither of the humans registered the click of a lock.

"Hey! I'm not finished! Come back!"

"Fuck you!" She attempted to open the door. It held fast. That was not the case when she and Todd came in - and her colleague had absolutely not engaged its lock when he left. She hammered on it with her fists. Agony exploded in her head like a drill boring into her skull, until all she could do was lie on the floor, clutching her head.

"Come back. This is your last warning."

Michelle moved back, hands trembling and reaching for her pistol.

"Keep your hands off that thing."

Despite her terrified state, Michelle managed to do what he was told.

"This will be the only way for all of you to communicate with me. Do not make this harder for yourself, Michelle."

The voice seemed a little... softer? That was a relief for him. The last thing he wanted to deal with right now was an angry telepathic creature.

"Apart from talking, what else can you do?"

Victini blew a small jet of fire from its mouth. The flame existed only for a split second, though it still made her jump.

"Do you have anything else you want to ask?"

"No. I'm fine, thank you."

Just remember what i said. Any time, Michelle."

Something clicked behind her, and she dared a glance behind her. The heavy door was surrounded by a cyan glow, swinging open of its own accord. Telekinesis? That was one more thing she had thought as being relegated to fiction.

What felt like hours to Michelle was in reality only a few minutes minutes as she glanced at her watch. Her head spun far more than ever before, which was not helping matters. Todd had come around to check on her, finding the poor woman gasping and sweating.

A glass of cold water helped calm her down a little, before Todd finally spoke.

"How was your conversation?"

"Fine," she replied.

"Just - tell me what happened. You were pounding on the door."

"Nothing! Just, nothing. Please, leave me alone. I got something to do." She groaned. "Go play receptionist. I'm not interested in what's happening out front unless it's another damn call-out."

"OK." The lack of conviction in Todd's face and tone was naked. It was the sort of thing that said, "I know something is wrong, but I won't press you further."

With that, she was left alone in the break room.

Michelle reached for the break-room TV's remote. Flipping to a news channel, her jaw dropped at what she saw.

The anchorwoman spoke of the odd green flash appearing in the sky. She looked out the break-room's window to see more and more of them. Memories of sci-fi and apocalypse movies came back to her, from watching them in college dorms at late-night parties.

As she grabbed a frozen TV dinner from the break-room fridge and placed it in a nearby microwave, there was nothing to do but wait for "further instructions" from the local authorities. "Further instructions, my ass," she muttered, wondering what exactly the military would do against unexplained phenomena like this. Maybe eggheads would study it, at best, hoping to make a big breakthrough on whatever this was.

There would likely be conspiracy theorists too, screaming about the "end of days" and such, she thought as she ate.

Another news channel. This one was significantly different: the ticker at the bottom reported 'Continuous reports of strange creatures-" before she flipped to another news station.

"Nintendo currently under investigation-"

"Pokemon, real or fake?-"

The microwave dinner was forgotten as she turned off the TV, frozen in shock.

Top Bottom